• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Zelda Social - Still the queen of Smash...and maybe queen of low tier for a decade, too. Shall we make it two?

Are you happy with the Link Between Worlds redesign?

• Yes, she's gorgeous and expressive.

Votes: 265 65.9%
  • No, Breath of the Wild had such potential.

Votes: 56 13.9%
  • No, Twilight Princess death stare Zelda was the best design.

Votes: 45 11.2%
  • I'm happy with any design, just as long as she's viable,

Votes: 36 9.0%

• Total voters

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I started Legend of Korra, which for the uninitiated is set after the events of Avatar: The Last Airbender and it’s super fun. I got the impression it would be pretty poor, but I’m unsure where those complaints are directed.
Maybe the cracks will show later?
They cracks start to show a bit later. Doesn't ruin the show just makes it a bit weaker then Last Airbender

:135:

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord

Now I've legit had these responses saved for like a month so
Anyone fans of Umihara Kawase-games AND Fantastic Night Dreams Cotton-series?

Because apparently, Umihara's getting a new installment, and it looks to feature a certain beloved trashy adorable witch kid:
Cotton is probably the last character I'd expect to get get mentioned here, holy ****.

Did anyone here ever play Rondo of Swords for the DS? It was a geometric strategy game, only instead of moving characters next to enemies to fight them, you moved them through enemies to attack them and through Allies to get buffs. Cotton was a secret character in it, and she was super good.

So for what kit to give him, a friend keeps yelling at me to give him a Brave Lance and I'm not basic enough to put a Brave weapon on a unit that I plan on getting to +10 with summoner support.
>> Saying ha isn't basic enough to give Silas a Brave Lance
>> +10ing Silas to begin with

Man that Smash Ultimate song with lyrics is beauty beyond compare.
If Ultimate doesn’t get critically acclaimed I’ll never find out why.
Gamexplain said the japanese singer is the same one who did the old Kirby anime OP.

Still trying to figure who sung the english version.

Here are the characters I'm most interested in:
I'm really interested in Pokemon Trainer, but I'm afraid Ultimate might run into a 3DS problem. I'm probably going to play it in handheld mode, so what character I play is probably going to depend on how well the Joycons work.

Also, does anyone else care about the Mii costumes? It's not much, but I kind of want to play Mii Brawler just because I can dress it up as Nia.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Here are the characters I'm most interested in:
undefined
The old gang:
  • Zelda - Obviously, plus buffs and system changes look so good even if I prefer other looks she still looks good.
  • Dedede - Buffs again, and holy hell do they look good for him, so much new utility
  • Puff - SHE'S ACTUALLY BUFFED
The New ones:
  • ROB - I was intrigued by him before but with the new bury throw I'm not going to be able to resist some time in him
  • K. Rool - Yessss, give me another heavy with projectiles
  • Snake - Never played that much of Brawl so I look forward to him, especuially since he seems like the above
  • Piranha Plant - Super armor into cross stage smacking? Yes please! Plus I put enough time into Sm4sh Gordo's that I'm used to potentially useless, gimmicky spiked ball specials
Swordy Bois:
  • Ike/Cloud - Well I liked playing them but one was bad tier and the other was pure top tier, plus I suck at easily gimped recoveries, but I look forward to new Eruption and a fair Cloud
  • Simon - :love:those projectiles:love: (the whip is close enough to swords)
This list is getting too long:
  • DHD/Jr./¿Isabelle? - I like traps...not that kind
  • Inkling - I stan Splatoon so imma need to try them out
  • YL/¿Tink? - Have you seen that arrow spam

So yeah about half the cast :p

I started Legend of Korra, which for the uninitiated is set after the events of Avatar: The Last Airbender and it’s super fun. I got the impression it would be pretty poor, but I’m unsure where those complaints are directed.
There's some things that pop up that give you some question marks, and some things can drag

*cough* Masami *cough*

Ultimately I think a vast majority of the criticisms came from the fact that it wasn't TLA and wasn't trying to be exactly the same thing. Also Nintendo (EDIT: lol my b... Nickelodeon) ****** around with the production so it's hard to hold it to the same standard. I personally liked it more as a whole but I can understand where people think TLA is the superior show on many fronts.

Also, does anyone else care about the Mii costumes? It's not much, but I kind of want to play Mii Brawler just because I can dress it up as Nia.
I'm unironically excited to play as Labo Man :p

Still really wish they'd added a Mii Mage so Ashley, Lip and Viridi didn't end up so weird, I'd play them too. I mean c'mon you've got all of the lost Palutena Customs to use, and the Megaman ones that actually made differences.

• Teleport
  • 2 Dash Up-B
  • Tornado/Corkscrew mashing
  • Actually controlable projectiles (none of this Stealth Burst **** let me control the vertical movment)
  • Traps
  • Items
  • Bouncing projectiles
  • Buffing moves
  • Ice
  • Firebreath
  • Stun
  • The 'hold onto a flying thing' recovery
And that's just the ones I can think of that are used by multiple characters

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I no longer need Facebook because I can get all my memes from Maplestory2. It really has it all. BlessT.

Also EODM07 EODM07 why are you playing MS2 just for the sole purpose of posting these all around? :secretkpop:
Maple Memes1.jpg

Too bad it’s right after a legendary banner (: I have 10 orbs

I thought I could get another 5* fodder gorl from the banner after getting a Grima boi. I was M I S T A K E N

But oh well. If this isn't a seasonal banner they will be permanent and Cornboi will be demoted. I don't care for seasonals because the whole no10+ thing. Even if they are precious bois like Corrin or nawty bois like Niles. I'm gonna save up for the next FE10 banner in December. I hope it features laguz.

Man that Smash Ultimate song with lyrics is beauty beyond compare.
If Ultimate doesn’t get critically acclaimed I’ll never find out why.

It has more noticeable low-points than The Last Airbender and falls victim to common tropes with female leads. Although it is still an extremely solid series. It's like The Last Air Bender with 10% more action/brutal crap going on. Having non-benders get involved in big fights is pretty great too.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
What's happening fans of Gay Baby Jail? :ultzelda:

Writing up more of my work, and DL now has a new Main BOX leaked which is full of Blackwing, Dragunity, Reptilliane, Bujin, Glad Beasts AND Harpie support (We're actually get Harpie's Hunting Ground. So Mai's Skill is now obsolete if you wanna make a Harpie deck. :yeahboi: ) Oh, and Synchro/Tuner support, so yay?

Also EODM07 EODM07 why are you playing MS2 just for the sole purpose of posting these all around? :secretkpop:
View attachment 176578
Funny thing was I got MS2 on Steam the other day, just haven't bothered to play it. :secretkpop:

Also, I might be taking part in a BBTAG Tournament; but it has a twist. All of the players who are taking part, are limited to what they must do.

Example; one player is not allowed to use projectiles, and one is forced to use characters with big breasts and another is not allowed to play Kanji.
Me? I'm forced to play Ruby/Yang, pick a RWBY song in game AND have a RWBY song play on loop during it.

...This is going to be hell for me.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
But oh well. If this isn't a seasonal banner they will be permanent and Cornboi will be demoted. I don't care for seasonals because the whole no10+ thing. Even if they are precious bois like Corrin or nawty bois like Niles. I'm gonna save up for the next FE10 banner in December. I hope it features laguz.
It is a regular new heroes banner, but there’s no way M!Corrin is getting demoted when he has a prf, a premium b skill, a dragon buff, and the trainee bst boost. if anyone is getting demoted, it’s Mikoto, but she does have infantry rush and flash+, so it’s possible we don’t get a demote at all à la Fallen Heroes or the Múspell banner

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Feh is me when I have had only 1 to 2 shots of vodka tbh.

Funny thing was I got MS2 on Steam the other day, just haven't bothered to play it. :secretkpop:
tbh if you do play it, it's better to use their launcher. Since they sometimes give side bonuses for people who do. But it seems most events are tied to the game itself so far. I pretty much love how this game goes "Here, you get stuff for just existing." for nearly all the activities. 10/10 my kind of game since I always get sidetracked and never hit the level cap... Until this game, anyway. :^)

Dance, Dance, Stop is the best minigame tho.

atm I made 15 songs to play in game and the funny thing is I don't really play the instruments much.

It is a regular new heroes banner, but there’s no way M!Corrin is getting demoted when he has a prf, a premium b skill, a dragon buff, and the trainee bst boost. if anyone is getting demoted, it’s Mikoto, but she does have infantry rush and flash+, so it’s possible we don’t get a demote at all à la Fallen Heroes or the Múspell banner
That would be R O O D, but very likely too. These might just be a seasonal banner since everyone is Azura-tized.

A friend pointed out to me that the only reason M!Corrin's bottom half is flowly is because his outfit is skintight. So it's their way around drawing the BuLgE so there wouldn't be another Alfonse/Odin and apparently no-bUlGe is a bad thing??? Keep Yaoi/Bara pure. Keep it 100% G-Rated. tyvm. Don't worry tho, I called the cops on ha already.

As for the update, it brought some interesting changes for Florina (tank flier gorl now) and Sabre (DC when his special is ready and +3 to all stats lmao). Barte gets Fury3 Armorslayer and Shanna gets -1 special/+10 special dmg; so they essentially got screwed.

Fury is bad for Barte because he doesn't want any speed and is a bait unit, so those 3 stats are wasted on him when a Close Defense/something similar would work much better. It can allow for some janky builds where an entire team is centered around him to make him OP, at least.

Shanna's change... It works, I suppose. Allowing a +spd/-res nature to be ideal over a +atk/-res nature. But it doesn't put her anywhere amazing.

As for Grail nonsense, I'm totally getting +10 Zephiel. He's the best red non-seasonal armor atm even though 24/28 res is so-so. But his sword has Distant Def 3 when upgraded and his stats are min-maxed like Thotja's stats. His art is top tier and he is secretly a good boi despite being insane. And let's face it, humans suck, so he's not 100% wrong. :^)

I was going to +10 Oliver, but realized he's in the same boat as Niles (better than Niles tbh). While he's capable of amazing mixed tanking, he's useless offensively without his special. And he's just a smidge too fast to get reliably doubled. So I'm going to have to wait for him to get a prf tome. So that means the next best bet is Aversa. She'll toss all the current mage fliers out since her stats are near min-maxed AND she has an OK prf AAAND can feasibly be +10'd without whaling AAAAND has boosted bst.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
These might just be a seasonal banner since everyone is Azura-tized.
That's not how it works. This was listed on the calendar as a New Heroes banner, which means that all of the units on it are permanent. Also, the banner trailer even says, "New Heroes join the battle!" Seasonal banners always say, "Special Heroes, to battle!" in the trailer. These are permanent units that will be added to the summoning pool when their banner ends.

Also lol the stats for these new units. Both Corrins of course got the trainee boost for literally zero reason, but I guess it's to be expected at this point. M!Corrin has a 35/35 offensive spread, and F!Corrin has 37 neutral spd and a superboon in the stat too lol. Camilla is basically flying og!Sanaki, which is fine because at least it's a different niche for flying red tomes. Mikoto has a nice offensive spread, but she's basically Loki with a few points shifted to atk and her def/res instead of hp and spd. At least Mikoto has nice art (probs the best of the new banner imo).

I'm totally getting +10 Zephiel.
tbh i might do the same. Zephiel is my favorite red armor, and I refuse to use anyone else in place of him, so the fact that I can now merge him up is pretty cool. mine already has bold fighter, so he's a premium boi. with all of the free copies they've given us, i have enough to make him +6, which means i only need to buy 4 more with grails. that's 700 grails, which hopefully won't take too long to collect, assuming they give them out in quests like sacred coins/refining stones.

the whole grails mechanic also means we have easy access to skills like windsweep, dd, panic ploy, infantry pulse, spd/def/atk ploy, berkut's lance, chill def, etc. that's a pretty big deal, especially since none of those skills should be so rare in the first place (aside from chill def i guess since the chill skills are kinda broken)

Last edited:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Hey gorls! Long time no see!

How are you all doing? Still brooding over her grace's uselessness? :secretkpop:

I wanted to come back as soon as SSBU was announced but then I was kinda without a computer for a while, had surgery (much like our goddess) and then finally found an internship after one year of pure struggle. But now that I'm finally settled (and pretty bored, lesbi honest :secretkpop: ) here in Dublin, I can finally make my return.

I see not a whole lot of you survived SSB4's Zelda suckiness though. Hope the veterans will come back. And I'm hoping Fujin will make some new alts as well, lol.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
How's it going fans of fake giveaways? :ultzelda:

Managed to submit my Uni work yesterday, so now I'm taking it easy now for a bit.

Found out that the Limits Tournament I'm taking part in will be next week. So I'll be putting zero time into using Ruby and Yang. :secretkpop:

Though I am dreading having to listen to RWBY music during it. It's going to painful. :V (Besides, I can just look up combos for both characters anyway before the tournament. Don't think I'll make it far, maybe to Top 8 maybe. Doubt it though, I don't even wanna know what the reward is for me.) Just need to know who is going to be hosting it, and if it's going to be streamed.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp

Managed to submit my Uni work yesterday, so now I'm taking it easy now for a bit.

Found out that the Limits Tournament I'm taking part in will be next week. So I'll be putting zero time into using Ruby and Yang. :secretkpop:

Though I am dreading having to listen to RWBY music during it. It's going to painful. :V (Besides, I can just look up combos for both characters anyway before the tournament. Don't think I'll make it far, maybe to Top 8 maybe. Doubt it though, I don't even wanna know what the reward is for me.) Just need to know who is going to be hosting it, and if it's going to be streamed.

I always thought the music was the best part of RWBY, well, that and (RIP Monty Oum) the fight choreography when they put the animation up a bit.

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord

Wait, there’s a RWBY fighting game?

How long have I been out of the loop on this?
Anyways, best of luck! Even if you dislike the majesty of RWBY music.
Once word of advice, you can’t lose to a girl in a skirt.

*Inhales*

THIS WILL BE THE DAY WE’VE WAITED FOOOORRRRR

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

*Inhales*

Haven't heard of Blazblue Cross tag battle?

Not so much a RWBY fighter but basically a big anime cross over 2D Fighter, including other franchises such as Blazblue, Persona 4 and UNIST

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
Haven't heard of Blazblue Cross tag battle?

Not so much a RWBY fighter but basically a big anime cross over 2D Fighter, including other franchises such as Blazblue, Persona 4 and UNIST

I have heard the name, but I’ve never looked into it. And I also don’t know what Blazblue and UNIST are.
Man, I am out of touch.

Some of you may have heard Nairo has been putting together a final smash montage video as a send off.
Well, here it is!
Combo Video

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
So, Tabata Hajime resigned and all the DLC, but Episode Ardyn were canceled for Final Fantasy XV: http://www.siliconera.com/2018/11/07/final-fantasy-xv-dlc-canceled-hajime-tabata-resigns/.

I want to use this to talk about Final Fantasy XV's years of development. I also want to preface this with I have not played Final Fantasy XV, Duke Nukem Forever, or Nioh, but of the games I know of and can think of and were covered extensively by gaming news outlets that went through development hell, most of them don't turn out well. Duke Nukem Forever is probably the best example of a development hell game that turned out pretty bad and it's not helped by it being hyped up like most development hell games because people keep expecting they'll be released, that it's still alive, all the promises that likely won't make it in, and expecting, imagining what they believe the game to be like. For instance, I imagined FFXV to be a completely different game because I followed it when it was Final Fantasy Versus XIII and that gave off a vibe of it being like a weird and dark(er) Romeo & Juliet. Nioh is a special case in that it was based on an unfinished script by Akira Kurosawa and that every time it was in development, starting in 2004, it was scrapped over and over until the recently when From Software's Souls games became very popular, polished, and derived by other game studios including Team Ninja with Nioh. In other words, they had more or less a set script for the game and an idea of what they wanted to do. Considering it was in development hell, that's a rough thing to do since they're sinking so much resources into something that might not be approved, finished, or released. Because of that, it's a special case for development hell games.

From Versus XIII to FFXV, we've gotten so many concepts of the game that kept changing over and over. It was mishmashed in a way that it worked, but at the same time, it probably costed a ton of money and drained the developers hard with trying to work on something like this. It also does not help that the freaking game also had a CG film made, a collaboration with Audi for FFXV themed car, clothing licenses, and a bunch of other stuff that I don't remember or know of. The game was actually released and it looks okay and good, but it was probably a massive sinkhole in Square Enix's funds and an awful development for the team. I don't think it would have been possible for them to have recouped all the funding that went into the game or that it felt worth it for Square Enix. The extra DLC felt like as much of we want to make more money of out this game that burned a hole in our wallets as much as we needed more time to finish the game. I don't care for spoilers, so I watched parts of FFXV's story and the DLC episodes and some of those episodes answer things that should have been answered in the main game where it just skipped those parts of without the DLC, there's too much missing information.

I will end this with saying that I am not saying the reason Tabata resigned was because of FFXV's "failure" or that was his and/or arguably Nomura Tetsuya's fault since Nomura was originally the director of Versus XIII. Until he says why or it's released officially as to why, nobody will know, but people will speculate. It's just that this game went through a really rough and lengthy development and that there were several stupid decisions, CG film, Audi car, with a game whose development was this bad. I can see why some of them were done like they probably got advertisement money out of the Cup Noodles thing, but at the same time, whether this game sold or not, is entirely on if this game is actually good and marketed well. That said, and as noted before, whether or not it profits or profits well enough to have justified everything is also another story and I'd say it looks like it wasn't enough and that Square Enix would probably want to work on something else instead of continuing to drag themselves further with a game that took up so much time, effort, and resources to get here.

And as for FEH stuff, I need one more copy of Clair and a ton more feathers.
4* Donnel: +Def, -Res.

3* Ogma: +Def, -Spd.

4* Palla: +Atk, -Res.

3* Raven: +Atk, -Spd.

4* Roderick: +Atk, -Spd.

3* Barst: +HP, -Res.

4* Clair: +Atk, -HP.

3* Florina: +Atk, -Def.

4* Gwendolyn: +Atk, -Res.

4* Henry: +Def, -Spd.

Edit: Forgot about this, but I love how a lot of players are placing Zelda around high and Falco at mid to low for their pre-release tier lists. The Metroid franchise being low is also funny in a sad way.

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I'm getting a little worried about Square tbh. They've been striking out a lot the past several years:

- FFXIII was really hit or miss, the sequels may or may not have helped, and I'm pretty sure they didn't sell as well as the first game

- FFXIV is doing alright but I've seen more and more people complaining that their content formula is getting stale, which is bad for an MMO

- Dissidia NT is a flop with 0 support at all. And then they release a free to play version to boost sales and exposure...in Japan only. Where the game is already very relevant

- Literally everything about FFXV. Everything.

- FF7R unfortunately going the way of FFXV. And recently the director has talked about doing the other spinoff titles in the FF7 world...before the first part is even released??

Here's to hoping that KH3 does well and doesn't end up like FFXV. Please be good. Pleaaaaase

Like their only big project that has been well received recently is DQ11. Their smaller stuff like Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler is nice, but they don't carry the weight their other flagship franchises do

I'm honestly really worried about them because they're one of my favorite gaming companies ever and I don't want them to keep screwing up until they go under due to awful management

Buddhahobo

Smash Lord
Like their only big project that has been well received recently is DQ11. Their smaller stuff like Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler is nice, but they don't carry the weight their other flagship franchises do
I was gonna counter with "I Am Setsuna" even though I thought it wasn't anything more than competent, but apparently that was just published by them. As was the Threatrhythm series. And Tomb Raider. And Life is Strange, Tomb Raider, and Nier: Automata.

Like, you brought up the original Lightning game from 2014 but now that you're mentioning it, the only really good games to come out of an internal studio from them in the last five years are remakes of their previous games, Octopath Traveler, Bravely Second, and the Dragon Quest franchise.

- FF7R unfortunately going the way of FFXV. And recently the director has talked about doing the other spinoff titles in the FF7 world...before the first part is even released??
He's sort of infamous for that, along with the pathological inability to release a game on schedule. He's the director for KH3 too, and we've seen how long that's been stuck in development hell. I think he was also director for FFXV?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I'm getting a little worried about Square tbh. They've been striking out a lot the past several years:

I'm honestly really worried about them because they're one of my favorite gaming companies ever and I don't want them to keep screwing up until they go under due to awful management
Capcom had and still is doing the same thing. The series that have been doing well and probably funding them the most is the Monster Hunter series. Stuff like DmC: Devil May Cry, Lost Planet 3, Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, Resident Evil 6, and Street Fighter V either flopped or pissed off their fans. They are still doing stupid stuff with recent games being MvC:I's quality and PR management being questionable when you had killer fighting games like Dragon Ball FighterZ and Tekken 7 being released around Infinite's or Street Fighter V doing and having shoddy stuff like its input lag is weird to explain, there was a rootkit for the PC version, and general gameplay issues that they aren't addressing or possibly can't because of how SFV is designed. At the same time, we've had DMCV, Mega Man 11, and Resident Evil 7 and the remake for Resident Evil 2. There was also Dragon's Dogma, but that was released before than the recent stuff.

That being said, anything could happen and so far with Square Enix, we only really know about Kingdom Hearts III and the FFVII remake and the Crystal Chronicles remaster. Of those three, one is hyped up and one is something we barely know about, but is easy to get hyped about which brings back memories of Versus XIII and FFXV. Capcom on the other hand has DMCV and the remake to RE2 where they both look like they'll play well and people are interested in them while knowing what they are.

I think he was also director for FFXV?
Nomura Tetsuya was the original director of Final Fantasy Versus XIII, the title for Final Fantasy XV before it went from being part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis aka the Final Fantasy XIII series to being its own thing and as a main branch game. Fabula Nova Crystallis at first was FFXIII, FFXIII Agito which would then become known as Type-0, and FXIII Versus XIII. Tabata Hajime was then signed on as a co-director at first before becoming its main director while Nomura was transferred to work on the other titles he was heading. Tabata is known for directing Crisis Core: FFVIII and Type-0. He also directed the Parasite Eve spin-off The 3rd Birthday.

Type-0 was considered pretty good for a portable action RPG and the HD port was just that, Type-0 with graphics around the level FFXIII and FFXV and being on systems that had better camera control than the PSP. Considering it was a portable action RPG, the port was probably still good, but not to the level of action RPGs developed for non-portable system. So, what I'm saying is that an action RPG like FFXV and The Witcher probably played better in general compared to Type-0 which played well on the PSP and was developed with its restrictions in mind. Tabata also apparently said he wanted a Type- series of Final Fantasies for games that were too experimental to be considered a main series game. I'm guessing games where they can take more risks, but also not invest in them as heavily as a main game.

Anyway, Wikipedia has a page on FFXV's development: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Final_Fantasy_XV.

Like, you brought up the original Lightning game from 2014 but now that you're mentioning it, the only really good games to come out of an internal studio from them in the last five years are remakes of their previous games, Octopath Traveler, Bravely Second, and the Dragon Quest franchise.
*cough*WorldofFinalFantasy*cough* Good game, but overshadowed by FFXV's release because of course it's a good idea to release it about a month before FFXV. WoFF was initially released on October 25, 2016.

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
Ooooooo Final Fantasy talk

I'm getting a bit wary buying from Squeenix lately because of all of this. Like, I want to get World of Final Fantasy since it's on the Switch now, but with all of this happening (plus being download only on a console with basically no internal memory) I'm... not too sure about it. And yes I'm mostly using this as an excuse to ask if I should get the game.
However I did pick up 13-3/Lightning Returns a few weeks ago used and wow this game is fun. The story is a mess (which I knew going in), but it's enough of a mess that it's kinda ridiculous so it's still entertaining. Hey, as long as it works :secretkpop: The game feels pretty similar to a Warriors game I think, with it having real time battles plus the most important skill to have being time management. You also never really need to "grind" in this game, and I don't really think there would even be a way TO grind if you wanted to, so that change is very nice to have in an RPG for once. Already at the 4 trials before the final boss, and I'm for sure doing a NG+ immediately after (because u KNOW I need all of the achievements).

But wdym that Squeenix hasn't been advertising properly, they turned Lightning into an irl model.

Nobody else could dream of topping this.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
How's it going Maya Fey fans? :ultzelda:

I always thought the music was the best part of RWBY, well, that and (RIP Monty Oum) the fight choreography when they put the animation up a bit.

*Inhales*

I know that RWBY music can be good. But when you're playing Blazblue Cross Tag Battle; you're bound to hear RWBY music ALL THE DAMN TIME.

And having to hear it all the time whilst playing BBTAG online has made me sick of it. Infact, I think the most played song in BBTAG is Red Like Roses II. And I don't like fighting Ruby and Yang in the game either, so being forced to play them in this tournament is something I'm dredding. :secretkpop:

Now have an army of Mikabonks.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717

Nobody would dream of topping that because nobody in their right mind would do that in the 1st place. :^)

How's it going Maya Fey fans? :ultzelda:
Maya Fey is a top tier gorl so idk if she has fans here. :secretkpop:

She a B0$$ - like Michelle Obama, purse so heavy, gettin' Oprah dollas lots of sliders.

btw rip 2 never getting Maya Fey or Phoenix Wright in SmUsh i cri evritiem & Alexa pls play Turnabout Sisters Ballad. :^(

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
And yes I'm mostly using this as an excuse to ask if I should get the game.
Do you like Pokémon and games with turn-based combat such as Bravely Default/Second, Final Fantasy, Grandia, and, well, Pokémon? Do you like being on nostalgia trips, particularly one related to Final Fantasy or the feeling of games like it? Do you like puns because apparently there are lot of puns in this games? But I don't know if it was a Japanese audio thing or both Japanese and English.

I'm biased towards the game because I really want to play it since it makes me feel nostalgic for older games that were vibrant looking. WoFF supposedly isn't all cheery with its story, but the presentation of it makes it feel fresh while also nostalgic since a lot of recent games look dreary, dark, and gritty. As much as I like dreary, dark, and gritty games, it wears down on you and kind of gets old when so many games have this look. It's one thing I don't like about DMCV where some of the scenes look really grey -- possibly the lighting of those scenes. It does makes sense since DMCV seems to be a more severe game. Anyway, I also really like WoFF's soundtrack. WoFF's rendition of Tifa's theme in particular feels so cozy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF-aclFtfn0.

I'd say get it, but if you're unsure, then wait for a sale which is probably easier to do if you wanted this on PC. The Switch version, though, would be a unique experience since you can play it as console Final Fantasy or a portable Final Fantasy.

But wdym that Squeenix hasn't been advertising properly, they turned Lightning into an irl model.

I knew about the Lightning modeling stuff, but I didn't know that they her animated for modeling stuff. All I remember seeing were images of her in designer clothing. Then again, Lightning Returns kind of had Lightning model some nice looking dresses.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Somebody please explain why top players think Zelda is top tier? I'm out of the loop.

I've long stopped dumping money playing Fire Emblem Heroes but there are a gazillion versions of Lyn and Camilla? Game needs more Ike.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Falco's Nair has 9 landing frames, the same as in Brawl, and Dair is really frame 10 and has 14 landing frames. He might be able to do both Brawl's landing Nair setup and Smash 4's land with Nair's final hit setup. This is going to be stupid outside of the lack of killing power his aerials have now. I'm really feeling like Falco might be like Brawl Wolf, but with a higher jump height for probably lower air speed and that he abuses Bair even though it's weaker and slower at frame 9 now and Dair instead of Bair and Fair. Pivot Uairs might be abused too since he does a frontflip instead of a backflip like other flip kick Uair users. Dtilt got nerfed. It's slower on startup at frame 10 and has Melee and Brawl's recovery without IASA to lower it. The range probably isn't like Smash 4's either. I can only hope that it has the same hitboxes like in Melee instead of the stupid one sweetspot and two sourspots it had in Smash 4 or the sweetspot and sourspot split that Brawl did.

Also, Mark Lund's, I'm assuming it's still him, Ultimate Falco sounds like Revali in the English audio of BotW and Hwoarang from Tekken to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvon11gAoFA.

Edit: And Utilt is spammable: https://youtu.be/f0RzaCss5bA?t=119. It has 14 recovery frames if its second hit still has the same active frames which it looks like it does.

Edit 2: Edit Harder: I just watched the most recent Zelda gameplay on there and now I'm wondering something: Does she even have an English voice or was that only for the World of Light trailer? Because she sounded the same, it was her Japanese voice actress, in the Nintendo Belgium stream videos. If it was only for the trailer, then why even have her speak? They could have gotten anyone else who speaks and has different voices depending on the region like Falco, Ike, Palutena, Pittoo, or Roy. Unless it was some late decision thing that will be in when the game's released, then this seems like a waste of money to get her voiced in a different language only to not have her be voiced for the main game. Zelda... Zelda is really a thing isn't she?

Last edited:

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
Do you like Pokémon and games with turn-based combat such as Bravely Default/Second, Final Fantasy, Grandia, and, well, Pokémon? Do you like being on nostalgia trips, particularly one related to Final Fantasy or the feeling of games like it? Do you like puns because apparently there are lot of puns in this games? But I don't know if it was a Japanese audio thing or both Japanese and English.

I'm biased towards the game because I really want to play it since it makes me feel nostalgic for older games that were vibrant looking. WoFF supposedly isn't all cheery with its story, but the presentation of it makes it feel fresh while also nostalgic since a lot of recent games look dreary, dark, and gritty. As much as I like dreary, dark, and gritty games, it wears down on you and kind of gets old when so many games have this look. It's one thing I don't like about DMCV where some of the scenes look really grey -- possibly the lighting of those scenes. It does makes sense since DMCV seems to be a more severe game. Anyway, I also really like WoFF's soundtrack. WoFF's rendition of Tifa's theme in particular feels so cozy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF-aclFtfn0.

I'd say get it, but if you're unsure, then wait for a sale which is probably easier to do if you wanted this on PC. The Switch version, though, would be a unique experience since you can play it as console Final Fantasy or a portable Final Fantasy.
Honestly I'm getting to the point where I like Pokémon-esque games, but not the Pokémon games themselves. The novelty's worn off for me I guess.
But yeah I think if the game went on sale I'd pick it up, so I'll wait a bit. Switch games on the eshop go on sale kinda often (not as often as on Steam of course) so it hopefully won't take too long.
I knew about the Lightning modeling stuff, but I didn't know that they her animated for modeling stuff. All I remember seeing were images of her in designer clothing. Then again, Lightning Returns kind of had Lightning model some nice looking dresses.
Oh there was an entire video for it.

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
Somebody please explain why top players think Zelda is top tier? I'm out of the loop.

I've long stopped dumping money playing Fire Emblem Heroes but there are a gazillion versions of Lyn and Camilla? Game needs more Ike.
I can’t reference a specific top player, but SmashWiki runs down the list of changes. There it becomes clear that Zelda has received more upgrades than downgrades.
Top Tier? Who knows? But Zelda has a real shot at becoming a Mid-Tier in Ultimate. And that’s pretty satisfying imo.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
How's it going Noodle Arm fans? :nifty::ultzelda:

Watched some Ace Attorney yesterday, and I enjoyed it. Next will be an Anime Original, so I dunno how good that'll be.
Also watching a BBTAG Tournament that happened, was at a tournament called "Climax of Night", and it has a lot of anime fighters there.

Under Night In-Birth EXE:Late[st], Blazblue Centralfiction, BBTAG, Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code and Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax Ignition just to name a few.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
But yeah I think if the game went on sale I'd pick it up, so I'll wait a bit.
It's really hard for me to justify buying any game at release or at full price nowadays unless they're dirt cheap, you know DLC is coming out for it, or you really, really want to play the game. World of Final Fantasy Maxima is the definitive edition of WoFF which is what you get on the Switch version and as an expansion pack if you bought it earlier before Maxima was released.

Oh there was an entire video for it.
This is so dumb. Why is there an action sequence that looks like it was ripped from a cutscene in FFXIII-2? I thought she was there to model clothing not tease a weird game where she fights in different clot-- oh. Never mind, that actually happened. It's called Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. :p

Anyway, after watching some of the new footage for Ultimate, some of the characters voices sound too loud or too quiet. All the characters who didn't get their voice actors changed or new voices clips sound fine and I'm going to use them as a basis for this. Except for Chrom. Falco, Ken, Roy, and Wolf, all the newcomers and characters who returned after missing a game or two sound fine as well. Chrom, Ken, and Wolf, especially Wolf, sound strangely quiet. If everyone else is at 100% volume, then Chrom and Ken sound like they're at 80%-ish while Wolf sounds like he's at 60%. Wolf doesn't have exaggerated or aggressive-sounding voice clips, but even then, it's hard to hear anything even in a 1v1. Falco and Roy sounds really loud. Roy you can justify as him always sounding aggressive and loud, but maybe it's with Ray Chase's deeper voice than Jun Fukuyama that it sounds more noticeable. Falco on the other hand, you can easily pick him out in a 4v4 since some of his attack lines have a very sharp start to them if that makes any sense. Being loud probably isn't big of a problem as being quiet since you can at least hear them.

Also, I am disappointed that young Link does not have jump slash as his dash attack, Side Smash, or even as a Fair. Ocarina of Time debuted the jump slash, but he doesn't have it in Ultimate when jump slash was finally given to Link in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Wassup. :seuss:
I came into this thread just to say
Also, I am disappointed that young Link does not have jump slash as his dash attack, Side Smash, or even as a Fair. Ocarina of Time debuted the jump slash, but he doesn't have it in Ultimate when jump slash was finally given to Link in Smash 4.
That he would end up being a worse character and less like his iconic Melee self for no reason.
Although they could have replaced his Kokiri Sword and Deku Shield with that of the Kokiri Sword and Hero's Shield from Majora's Mask. Missed opportunity.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I guess they wanted to keep him as close to Melee as possible. And Link does already have it as his Dash attack

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I guess they wanted to keep him as close to Melee as possible. And Link does already have it as his Dash attack

It's probably also to give him better frame data than Link on average. He is supposed to be a weaker but faster Link after all.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
That he would end up being a worse character and less like his iconic Melee self for no reason.
Although they could have replaced his Kokiri Sword and Deku Shield with that of the Kokiri Sword and Hero's Shield from Majora's Mask. Missed opportunity.
I can't see him having jump slash as breaking him and turning into him a terrible character. Him having jump slash doesn't mean it would have to be the same jump slash adult Link has. They could if they wanted, make it faster, but weaker than adult Link's. Or they could have it as his Fair and make it function similarly to Chrom or Lucina where it's fast or Ike's if they want it to be relatively slow.

I can understand people wanting Melee young Link and/or a Link who isn't like Ultimate/BotW Link where his Bombs detonate on contact and isn't like toon Link who's floaty. At the same time, there are some moves from OoT and MM that I feel young Link could have had where jump slash is more of an iconic thing as he debuted it in OoT and the crouch stab as his Dtilt, which hasn't appeared in any other game if I recall correctly, could have been a nifty and possibly abusive poke, especially if they make it as fast as in OoT and MM, or just a visual thing even was identical to the current Dtilt he has.

And yes, it was a missed opportunity for him to have the Kokiri Sword and Hero's Shield from Majora's Mask or having a different Final Smash.

Eremitaviola

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5198-1572-7120
Hi, I'm new here and only started competing in tournaments last year but I didn't have smash 4 so I had no way to train other than Brawl, so I decided to wait for Ultimate. I can't wait for it to come out! I'm weirdly confident about my abilities considering my only accomplishment was almost taking a stock from a pro player but I hope I can get better and help you with the meta! I also played the new demo but could only play one game and SD twice because the new Farore is so fast that I often can't angle it in time since I was used to waiting until I started disappearing. Being used to Brawl and using a pro controller for the first time felt like trying to control an hyperactive cat on rocket skates, I can't wait!

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
What's happening Phoenix Wright fans? :ultzelda:

Just started looking at the next part of my Course, which is focused on Sustainability and Innovation in designs. Such as talk about Fridge-freezers and Petrol lawnmowers. And how they've made an impact on the environment.

Also, feels good to play Ace Attorney after so long. Hoping AA7 will be great whenever it comes out (And they better give Athena some more character development, since Apollo Justice got a bunch in AA5 and AA6. Not that I'm complaining). And can we see some fan favourites return? Like Gumshoe, Fransizka, Adrian and Mia just to name a few.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I can’t reference a specific top player, but SmashWiki runs down the list of changes. There it becomes clear that Zelda has received more upgrades than downgrades.
Top Tier? Who knows? But Zelda has a real shot at becoming a Mid-Tier in Ultimate. And that’s pretty satisfying imo.
tbf, she was so bottom tier that the only way to nerf her would be to remove her entirely from the game.

Some would call that a buff, though. :secretkpop:

The only real nerf she got was the Ftilt nerf. But that move was previously her quickest-jab option that wasn't a downward poke. So it makes sense to make it slower while making her jab an actual jab.

I hope the other gorls don't have their changes fully documented.

:ultwiifittrainer: getting buffs to ha specials is nice and all, but ha main problem was literally everything but her specials. Soooooooooooooo???

:ultrobin: gets QoL buffs, as in, "fix the jank" changes. Some buffs, albeit, ones that aren't actually needed. Receives mostly nerfs to the only reliable parts of his kit (the zoning specials). Oh OK.

*checks Ness who gets a buff to his annoying PK Fire's lingering effect/less end lag/etc* O O O H - O K A Y

:ultgreninja: is still a clunky ninja boi. But at least Substitute can hit things now.

So now we know which gorls had to be sacrificed to Gawdess Sakurai to allow Zelda to be buffed. rip 4 lyf

:ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultshulk::ultjigglypuff: get straight buffs. While Peach was already decent, she is now even better - probably to make her less reliant on "lol stall hover mixups jajaja" gimmicks. The other gorls go from meh tier to actually viable? It's hard to tell.

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY!!! Annoying heauxes got meaningful nerfs. :^)))

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
:ultrobin: gets QoL buffs, as in, "fix the jank" changes. Some buffs, albeit, ones that aren't actually needed. Receives mostly nerfs to the only reliable parts of his kit (the zoning specials). Oh OK.
The thing with Robin (and a lot of other characters) I've notice is that they team really wants to get rid of the "one trick pony" playstyle that really dominated Smash 4. You know, 90% of combos being either Utilt x 10 -> USmash or Down Throw -> Up Air kills. Which in all honest is nice and helps remove some of the cheapness present in S4. That said I have no idea why Arc Thunder had it's stun duration reduce and why Ness PK fire got both start up and Endlag reduction yet Robin's Arc Fire is the same as in S4 (at least on the surface)

But man, Levin Nair is going to be dirty

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
How's it going fellow Detectives? :ultzelda:

Going to be heading out in a bit to get myself a pizza for dinner tonight, may also get some essentials as well whilst I'm out; also, about to get started on researching my current assessment. :yeahboi:

It'll be just like detective work, Detective Gumshoe would be so proud. He's such a pal isn't he, pal?

By the way, did anyone see the trailer for Detective Pikachu? Jeez man, realistic Mr. Mime is something I never expected to see.

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
The Detective Pikachu trailer is nightmare fuel galore. Mr. Mime being the biggest offender.

Also Legend Of Korra is getting interesting. I’m gonna post my thoughts once I finish Book 1.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I saw this and had no context what it was from, but it is still a 10/10 video. Let us all be as happy as Checker Boi someday. :^)

ofc then I found out it was from Deltarune which is basically Undertale-Redux. So. Like. idk how to feel about that but maybe cute comics will be made.

The Detective Pikachu trailer is nightmare fuel galore. Mr. Mime being the biggest offender.

Also Legend Of Korra is getting interesting. I’m gonna post my thoughts once I finish Book 1.
I'm pretty sure they wanted to make it slightly creepy on purpose. It looks like it isn't aimed at the audience the game was aimed at. Like, the crappy game was for the kiddies and the movie is for the teens/adults.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
How's it going Unknown Actor fans? (It's also the best Astral Theme in BBTAG. Don't @ me.) :ultzelda:

Watched a bit of some character combos such as Vatista and Kanji. Wondering how I could implement Gordeau into some of those, since I'll be honest; my Midscreen combo game isn't that great. But when I have combos in the corner, I do better (Then again; they're not launched far away from you when they're in the corner. :V) So maybe I can try and find some or improve my midscreen combo game, then I'd fare much better, same goes with doing solo Gordeau combos ending with Assimilation.

Or I can just 236X in Neutral.

GRIM REAPER!

Top Bottom