• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Progress :D

ScarletRed012

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScarletRed012
3DS FC
2079-4334-7623
So I originally made a post called "Thinking about playing Zelda" and now I'm happy to say I've declared her as a new main. To be honest she's seriously a fun character to play. Her mix up potential is really good with Din's to be honest. Just throw one out as a little pressure boost and approach, and then Din's again to make it come to you and start a combo. It can add a bit of damage with that. On top of it her Nayru's is really good for spacing when being pressured by an up close foe. To be honest she's really fun like that and I think I'll call her a main. Despite her being lower in the tier list (mid tier unofficially and low tier officially) I feel when her potential is pushed she can be very good in the long run. I'm definitely going to be playing her a lot more, do you guys have any tips on how to truly play her properly?

Also just to show my progress I was versing a dude who has played this game for two years while I only started like 4 - 5 days ago. I started out getting 3 stocked. The last game we played (like 10 games later) I ended up only getting one stocked. I feel that was a true improvement and I honestly felt it. I would Nayru him when he got close, and also shoot out some Din's to keep him at a distance. I'd even get some dash attacks off or grabs for some combo potential. That up air is also really strong haha.

Anyway would love any tips you could offer to her. :)

4tlas

Smash Lord
Check out the Triforce of Wisdom thread! Its kind of a conglomeration of us discussing what she can and should do, though you'd have to wade through years of discussion for versions no longer relevant.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Alright man! Thanks I'll check it out :)
Biggest changes to note when looking at old posts:
1. PM 3.5 was released ~Nov 13, 2014...anything before that might have content that no longer applies
2. Biggest 3.0 > 3.5 changes
a) Din's was gutted
b) Aerial Nayru's is significantly less safe due to land-cancel being slower and the i-frames being bye-bye
c) Teledash is out, Telecancel is in
d) up-smash works not as stupidly well on spacies (but still pretty well) but better across the cast
e) super sweetspot is gone on kicks

Mentor

Smash Cadet
She has a looooot of nuances w/ her moves, arguably more than 75% of the cast in my opinion. You can PM me if u need any details filled in regarding her moves. Also, I recommend going over the dins mechanics post. It fills in a lot of details frame data and mechanics wise that isn't presented on the main frame data thread.

ScarletRed012

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScarletRed012
3DS FC
2079-4334-7623
She has a looooot of nuances w/ her moves, arguably more than 75% of the cast in my opinion. You can PM me if u need any details filled in regarding her moves. Also, I recommend going over the dins mechanics post. It fills in a lot of details frame data and mechanics wise that isn't presented on the main frame data thread.
The most I have an issue with is landing combos with grabs or other things. Unsure about how to combo Move A into Move B etc. I also need help on how to generally play against a really speedy foe, since it seems zelda lacks the fight-ability. Yeah there are things I could learn.

4tlas

Smash Lord
Zelda's mobility is super poor and the knockback of her moves is very strong, so you usually can only combo if you act immediately out of the previous move. You'll get used to it just by playing.

As for playing against a speedy foe, is it the type that you have to approach or the type that has to approach you?

ScarletRed012

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScarletRed012
3DS FC
2079-4334-7623
Zelda's mobility is super poor and the knockback of her moves is very strong, so you usually can only combo if you act immediately out of the previous move. You'll get used to it just by playing.

As for playing against a speedy foe, is it the type that you have to approach or the type that has to approach you?
For a speedy foe it's the issue of them just being constantly being on me giving me no breathing room. Any advice?

4tlas

Smash Lord
For a speedy foe it's the issue of them just being constantly being on me giving me no breathing room. Any advice?
If they are about to jump on you, jab works great for intercepting them in a non-committal way. If you're willing to commit to a read, any other move that hits in front of or above her is great.

If they are already on top of you, crouch cancel dtilt is fantastic, and she has pretty good Out of Shield options. Upsmash, upB, lightning kicks, and lightning stomp all have great usage out of shield. Her grab game is pretty solid too, so that always works.

Mentor

Smash Cadet
With spacies, u-smash OOS works best when they're above 50ish% (they can CC/crouch below otherwise). You can also buffer a roll/spotdodge relatively safely. Dealing w/ shield pressure can be a major issue.

Last edited:

ScarletRed012

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScarletRed012
3DS FC
2079-4334-7623
If they are about to jump on you, jab works great for intercepting them in a non-committal way. If you're willing to commit to a read, any other move that hits in front of or above her is great.

If they are already on top of you, crouch cancel dtilt is fantastic, and she has pretty good Out of Shield options. Upsmash, upB, lightning kicks, and lightning stomp all have great usage out of shield. Her grab game is pretty solid too, so that always works.
With spacies, u-smash OOS works best when they're above 50ish% (they can CC/crouch below otherwise). You can also buffer a roll/spotdodge relatively safely. Dealing w/ shield pressure can be a major issue.
Thanks guys I will use those tips but considering I'm newer, what's a crouch cancel?

Top Bottom