• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zeiza's Miscellaneous Mods ~ Latest Mod: Borderless Stage Icons

Zeiza

Smash Cadet
Welcome to Zeiza's Miscellaneous Mods, a thread for presenting my miscellaneous modifications, as the name should imply, as well as tutorials I have written and the like. There isn't much to say here, so onto the mods!

Borderless Stage Icons
Replaces stage selection icons with variants lacking the thick grey border.
This modification is simple, it just replaces all of the stage selection icons with versions that do not have a thick grey border around them. Most of the time the tiles are created from the main portrait, but a select few, such as Bowser's castle or Flat Zone 2, are derived from other sources. The actual pictures show this best.
Page 1

Page 2

Stage Striking

Main Download: just replace pf\menu2\sc_selmap.pac with the following file, and all the stages and stage striking should be effected

Resources: contains the original png files for all the icons, with additional files for many of the default Brawl stages that don't appear in Project M (at least as the primary stage).

Miscellaneous PSA Modifications
These are just small edits for various PSAs.

Ganondorf Only Uses His Melee Sword
This one is simple. It just makes it so that Ganondorf always uses the melee variant of his sword.
3.6 Version

One Slot Doctor Mario
This causes only costume 7 (the default Doctor Mario costume) to use pills and the electric forward smash.
3.6 Version

Mario Only Uses Doctor Mario Effects
Similar to the one above, this causes Mario to always throw pills instead of fireballs, and use the electric foward smash.
3.6 Version

Mario Never Uses Doctor Mario Effects
The opposite of the one above.
3.6 Version

Tutorials
Note: this tutorial was created for 3.6 beta, and so it might not work exactly correct for the latest version. However, its overall concepts should apply to all versions.

Programs Required: Project Smash Attacks! (I used 2.35), OpenSA2 (Possibly)

Project M uses an If statement to determine whether it should use the Doctor Mario effects or the default ones. This is done by comparing a variable called LA-Basic[54] to a scalar which represents the IDs it covers. LA-Basic[54] is a variable that holds the ID of the costume currently in use. For Project M, it compares this to see if it is greater than or equal to 7, which is the ID of the first costume for Doctor Mario. All of the IDs after it are for the various colors of Doctor Mario costumes.

Single Slot Doctor Mario Outfit
The first step is to open FitMario.pac within Project Smash Attacks!. This file holds the information needed for Mario's move set. Next click on the Sub Action tab, then in Sub Action box and type in 57. This will take you to Sub Action 57, which is part of Mario's side smash. Mario's side smash has an electrical effect for Doctor Mario.

Within the code you should see the fourth line, which is "If Compare: LA-Basic[54] >= 7". Double click on this, then go to the Comparison Method and change it from 00000004 to 00000002. This will now check to see if the costume is 7, rather than if the costume is 7 or above.

Go to the GFX Event List for this Sub Action and do the same for the If Comparison here too.

These are the following Sub Actions that need to be changed, and what Event Lists are needed:
  • Side Smash - 57 - Main, GFX
  • Side Smash - 58 - Main, GFX, SFX
  • Side Smash - 5A - Main, GFX, SFX
  • Down Taunt - 1C0 - Main, GFX, SFX
  • Down Taunt - 1C1 - GFX, SFX
  • Neutral Special - 1CE - GFX, SFX
  • Neutral Special (Air) - 1CF - GFX
After doing this, Doctor Mario's special side smash, down taunt, and the throwing sound effects will only play for costume 7. However, these Sub Actions can only spawn the fireball/pill, and it has little to no choice in which one it receives. To make the final changes we must use OpenSA2 to find the article's Sub Routines that decide how the projectile looks. Now it would be best to save the FitMario.pac (preferably to a new location or with a new name rather than overriding the default one).

Now we need the offsets for the article's Sub Routines, which describe which models, sounds, etc the projectile itself uses.

These offsets were as following in Project M 3.6b, and even though they are unlikely to change in the foreseeable future I will include how to find them:

0026DEC
002631C

If They Have Changed:
Open OpenSA2, and then open FitMario.pac. At the top tabs, click on Articles, then change it to Article 0x1, which only shows Regular in its list of Actions. Now go to Sub Actions, and record the offset from the first line of Main. Then change the Event List to GFX, and record that offset, and then again for SFX. Finally, click on Sub Routines, and find which of the three has this code or coding resembling it:
Code:
Terminate Collisions
If - LA-Basic[29] < 7.00x
Graphic Effect - blablabla
Else
Graphic Effect - blablabla
End If
Terminate Instance
Record this offset.

Now close OpenSA2 and return to PSA. Go to the Sub Routine Tab and search for the offsets in the order listed (or found). For the first, change "If Compare: LA-Basic[29] >= 7" to == 7, same as before.

For the second, do the same, as with the third.

For the last one, change "If Compare: LA-Basic[29] < 7" to != 7 by setting the Comparison method to 00000003.

After all of this, only slot 7 should use the Doctor Mario effects.

Permissions: you may use any of my modifications for anything you want, provided that it isn't illegal.

Requests: I take requests, but please note that my modding abilities are very shallow. I can perform PSA edits rather well, and I can always create new tiles for stages.

Last edited:

Zeiza

Smash Cadet
Wow, great job! Have you made any more progress on Dr. Luigi?
I've been working on trying to get the pill effects to load recently, but I've been having issues testing it since Dolphin has been giving me bizarre results (randomly playing at half speed, or ignoring changes made to the PSA, or crashing from replacing an image with the exact same image in the same format, etc).

I'll be able to test on an actual Wii later, where I will hopefully have a successful result, and have more to show.

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman
I made a kind of obscure mod for link which involves retexturing his ocarina to look like the fairy ocarina. If you want to include that type of mod, i can send you it. the textures are a bit odd in places though, especially the area where the triforce used to be. It's supposed to look like this:

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman

Crystalruby

Smash Apprentice
Smashing Some Nubs (With a Pinch of Salt)
NNID
Crystalruby8
Last edited:

Zeiza

Smash Cadet
I hope this works.

I made a kind of obscure mod for link which involves retexturing his ocarina to look like the fairy ocarina. If you want to include that type of mod, i can send you it. the textures are a bit odd in places though, especially the area where the triforce used to be. It's supposed to look like this:
Thanks for the offer, but I would prefer for this page to just be for my mods right now.

Zeiza

Smash Cadet
I have updated the OP with a new mod, a fix for Lyn's alternate costumes, as by default they will either freeze or crash. I am unsure if mods involving the leaked build are allowed here, and if they are not please notify me and I will remove it as soon as possible.

I have also started working the stage stuff for TooSlow! and Crystalruby. If you still need those, I should hopefully have some or all of them done by tomorrow.

Edit: Crystalruby, I finished your requests! TooSlow!, I am sorry, but names take a lot more time, and I might not have time to finish them by tomorrow.

Last edited:

Jmanthesmasher683

Smash Journeyman
The fairy ocarina i did can now have screenshots because i have gotten dolphin to work with PM. my GC usb controller is broken, but i can still use my keyboard. just a little update

Zeiza

Smash Cadet
I finished the names. I was unsure what to do with the last one, since I couldn't fit it all, so I went just with Cave of Origin.

how do you make the titles for the stages?
I usually just create the names by copying and pasting letters from the various names in 3.5 and 3.6 together. Most names are covered just by doing that, but longer ones take more work and sometimes letters have to be manually cut down to fit. In the rare case that the symbol isn't used in any of the names, such as Ω, I usually use bold Impact Condense font and edit it to fit with the rest.

britipinojeff

Smash Journeyman
I usually just create the names by copying and pasting letters from the various names in 3.5 and 3.6 together. Most names are covered just by doing that, but longer ones take more work and sometimes letters have to be manually cut down to fit. In the rare case that the symbol isn't used in any of the names, such as Ω, I usually use bold Impact Condense font and edit it to fit with the rest.
aw man I was hoping there was just some Font to use or something. I've been using photoshop to try to get the names in my build to look sorta like how the titles look in 3.6. and well none of them look good.
But you take requests i take it?

TooSlow!

Smash Cadet
NNID
LegendOfZorldo
3DS FC
3926-7384-0133
Yeah, I believe requests are available here

Zeiza

Smash Cadet
aw man I was hoping there was just some Font to use or something. I've been using photoshop to try to get the names in my build to look sorta like how the titles look in 3.6. and well none of them look good.
But you take requests i take it?
I can try but doing a lot tends to take a few days, especially with finals next week. If you have some stages you'd like me to try to do I'd be happy to, but I would prefer not that many at once.

britipinojeff

Smash Journeyman
I can try but doing a lot tends to take a few days, especially with finals next week. If you have some stages you'd like me to try to do I'd be happy to, but I would prefer not that many at once.
oh in that case I'll hold off on requesting then. I have finals next week too and i wouldn't want to ask you to do something that I wouldn't be attempting to do myself next week.

Cynapse

Smash Ace
Hi, it sounds like stage names in 3.6 aren't too fun for you, so I figure I may as well offer some advice to streamline the process. First, you'll have to download the font used by the PMDT from here. (GENUINE Regular)
ha.png
That was created with these settings in PS:
Screenshot (6).png
Well, almost. I used 36pt font for the first letter of each word, and 30pt font for every other letter and spaces.
Also, I left a space of one pixel from the left and bottom borders of the black background. Alternatively, you could use 24pt for the bulk of letters and spaces and end up with something like this:
ha2.png
For longer names (Shadow Moses Island), you'll have to fidget with the track (VA) and horizontally scale (T) settings.
My results are not identical, but they're close enough so that there's no real difference to be seen in game. Further, if your goal is to mimic PM's style exactly, consider asking @Theytah. From what I've seen of his work on the Vault and Modulous, he's the one who created the names seen in PM, but I could be wrong.

It boils down to personal preference, really. Hope this helped.

jackal27

Smash Journeyman
Hi, it sounds like stage names in 3.6 aren't too fun for you, so I figure I may as well offer some advice to streamline the process. First, you'll have to download the font used by the PMDT from here. (GENUINE Regular)
That was created with these settings in PS:
Well, almost. I used 36pt font for the first letter of each word, and 30pt font for every other letter and spaces.
Also, I left a space of one pixel from the left and bottom borders of the black background. Alternatively, you could use 24pt for the bulk of letters and spaces and end up with something like this:
For longer names (Shadow Moses Island), you'll have to fidget with the track (VA) and horizontally scale (T) settings.
My results are not identical, but they're close enough so that there's no real difference to be seen in game. Further, if your goal is to mimic PM's style exactly, consider asking @Theytah. From what I've seen of his work on the Vault and Modulous, he's the one who created the names seen in PM, but I could be wrong.

It boils down to personal preference, really. Hope this helped.
Thanks a ton for this. Any way you could upload a .PSD so that I could just download it and edit as I need to?

Last edited:

vathekid

Smash Apprentice
Hello, since you do psa's, would you care to make two for the case?
I was hoping you could possibly do a one slot pichu mod with pikachu
And, if possible, a one slot lucina mod over marth.
If you would be so kind to respond, that would be fantastic

Huarbolo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
huarbolo
3DS FC
1435-5887-5069
Hey, I saw you made it so Mario doesn't have to have a single Dr alt, so I wanted to know if you could make it so the Ice Climbers don't have a Nana slot for any alts (The PMDT made it so she becomes leader in some alts)

Cynapse

Smash Ace
Hey, I saw you made it so Mario doesn't have to have a single Dr alt, so I wanted to know if you could make it so the Ice Climbers don't have a Nana slot for any alts (The PMDT made it so she becomes leader in some alts)
That's piss-easy. Just switch the models in their pac/pcs.

britipinojeff

Smash Journeyman
The PMDT did that? is that not how it was in Brawl? I know in Melee thats what happened in some alts

RosalinaSama

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ROSA#211
NNID
Fracktail
3DS FC
2492-4324-7138
Switch FC
SW-1139-8011-8725
Hi! Do you know what I'd have to change in PSA to have only the Default White and the Black Doctor Marios have the pill/electric effects?

Top Bottom