• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zebes: Metroid General Thread

Favorite Metroid game

• Total voters

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I still think he should take a break. I saw alot of peoples not being happy that they just "put" Ridley at the end without alot of explaination. And while when you think about it, it make sense as to why he is here, I can understand some peoples fearing that Ridley become the Bowser of the Metroid series. (Even tough he was already that before)

However, I think the best thing is to wait for a trailer or any information from Nintendo saying where MP4 is going to take. It is going to be after MP3 but before M2? It is going to be after SM and before Fusion? Possibly retgone Other M out of existence? It is going to be a sequel to Fusion? We don't know, and depending where the event take place in the timeline. Ridley may or may not appear, especially if it's after Fusion where it's really going to be hard to explain how he came back from the dead. But you never know with the Space Pirates. :p

In short, I just want to get NEW INFO ON MP4, PLEASE NINTENDO, I NEEEEEEED IT.
Oh, I guess there's no confirmation of MP4's timeline placement until later stated, but with how Federation Force took place after MP3, I think it's safe to assume MP4 will be after that but before M2, so if Ridley's included in it or anywhere within a 2nd Prime trilogy, I would still expect to see Meta Ridley or a less cybernetic byproduct form. I share the concern of having fatigue with him due to overexposure like there is with Bowser or the Joker, but I guess we'll have to see what they do. :/

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
View attachment 132962

XP It doesn't hurt him to take a nice one once in a while.
Why I can't like this post more than once?

Great job as always. ;)

Also, 'don't think it have been said before. But Sakamoto confirm that the next Metroid game won't be a remake, here is the link to confirm.

https://gamerant.com/metroid-samus-returns-no-plans-another-remake/amp/

Personally, while it may have been cool to have a remake of Fusion. I am honestly hype for a new 2D Metroid game. If SR sell well enough for Nintendo. We may finally see a game that take after Fusion, without any limitation from the source material and the team having alot more freedom, I am freakin' HYPE for this.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I think a Fusion remake is due eventually someday though, just not anytime soon. There's plenty creative room for one to improve upon the original. Super Metroid, not so much... With that game's legendary status, a remake for it would have a tougher time living up to the higher standards of the original. Plus not too much to really change for Super aside from adding 3D visuals and such, but with Fusion, seeing the SA-X encounters and some of the later bosses reworked and given more depth with their fights could go a long way.

MercurySteam wanted to do a Fusion remake earlier on, and I think they've passed the test to do one, at least someday. Seeing more Chozo Memories lore would be interesting too, whether in a Super or Fusion remake.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Just finished my first MSR speedrun which ended around 3:22...

Learned earlier on that when you first get to the area or sector that Arachnus is in, you can get to his room early the first thing by bomb jumping from outside to reach it, allowing you to get even past the red spikes that you normally wouldn't be able to get through with the Spider Ball.

And for the Metroid Queen, apparently if you use the Spider Spark to bump into her head while she's covering one of the walls in flames, it'll interrupt her attack, saving some time against her. xD

For the best (or most fanservicey) endings that require under 4 hours, it looks like there's ones for all the difficulties. For Normal mode of course, it's Zero Suit Samus,
for Hard mode it's Justin Bailey Samus in her green haired glory, and for Fusion mode it looks like the suitless Fusion Samus with the blue top and shorts.

All and all, the game's definitely more speedrunable than I first gave it credit for, tho not as enjoyable to speedrun for me as the other games but it's doable. I love it as a game to 100% or play normally, but speedruns, eh.. Still worth doing here and there at least until I can find my needed amiibos. Kinda timid to attempt any % speedrun on Hard though but I'll get to it soon or later...

IronTed

Smash Ace
http://nintendoeverything.com/septe...ms-claim-two-thirds-of-gaming-hardware-sales/

We just got some sweet PR. The Pac-Man returns yet again. Too bad we have no numbers.

As for Samus Returns, it ranked number 8 in the US for September. However, this is by individual units. So the order for top 8 is probably:
  • Both versions of NBA 2K
  • Both versions of Destiny 2
  • Madden PS4 is probably 5th or 6th.
  • Mario + Rabbids is at 7th
The last SKU is likely Madden for Xbox or FIFA for PS4. So by combined SKU's SR is 6th or 7th (by units). The first 4 may be in a different order, but they all are still basically in the top 4 one way or another.

Sadly the press release has been delayed, so we get no revenue/system charts. Also, in the revenue charts SR could rank lower or higher.

From what I recall, Fusion debuted at number 10 in November of 2002. This is a good result, for a late life 3DS game anyway.

Zero Mission debuted at number 3 in February of 2004.

Super Metroid debuted at number 5 in April 1994. (Warning, pre 1995 NPD data is quite a bit less reliable)

Again, this is going by individual units, so by combining SKU's Super Metroid would be at 4, Zero Mission still at 3. Not sure where Fusion would be (can't find the full report) but 10 is still probable.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
Bandai Namco is a publisher, so that still doesn't tell us specifically who's working on the game. One would assume stuff like music would still be handled internally ( by Yamamoto and Hamano). If true Prime 4 will be the first prime game not made (primarily, anyway) by a western studio. It would be the second Metroid to be developed by a Japanese 3rd party as well.

Prime Trilogy, Retro Studios
Prime Pinball, Fuse Games (now known as Silverball Studios)
Hunters, Nintendo Software Technology
Other M, Team Ninja
Federation Force, Next Level Games
Samus Returns, Mercury Steam

This is the list of non-internal studios who have developed Metroid games. Obviously some got very uninportant jobs. Not many cared if Fuse Games had the experiemce to make a good pinball game.

But I'm not concerned. Without any footage, it's hard to cast judgement on anyone, whether positive or negative. I definitely am leading towards this being true, ZhugeEX at ResetEra teased something that may imply this as well.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Hadn't posted in awhile, but glad to see the game is getting that kind of attention, even if it doesn't come out on top.

As for the Namco MP4 rumor, saw word about it earlier, but not really buying it at this time. A primarily eastern made Prime would be interesting if done well, although mixed on the idea.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Wow, it actually happened.

Considering the competition MSR had in the handheld category (FE Echoes, Monster Hunter Stories, and such), it winning is quite the accomplishment. Ultra Sun and Moon weren't included from what I understand, and lucky they weren't, as they would've probably taken the award.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Considering the competition MSR had in the handheld category (FE Echoes, Monster Hunter Stories, and such), it winning is quite the accomplishment. Ultra Sun and Moon weren't included from what I understand, and lucky they weren't, as they would've probably taken the award.
I think the cutoff for nominations is in October, so USUM was released too late to be nominated...Super Mario Odyssey was released just before the cutoff so it was still viable for it's nominations...

Either way glad Metroid won...it is a great game!

IronTed

Smash Ace

Deserved. Metroid seems to be really back. Definitely gives optimism for Prime 4. Mercury Steam really proved themselves, hopefully we get more from their collaboration with Nintendo.

Pretty cool seeing Mario, Link, and Samus in that picture. What a great year for Nintendo.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Something to get your brain juices flowing regarding the Chozo Memories in Samus Returns...a bit more of an in-depth explanation as well as some theory crafting thrown in...
One interesting theory was that Metroids are able to evolve due to mutations from exposure to Aeion energy...Mutations that made them aggressive towards their masters...

I def recommend this channel if you haven't seen it yet, one of the better Metroid tubers out there, he's got some pretty fun caricatures of Metroid characters that he uses as well...

IronTed

Smash Ace
Something to get your brain juices flowing regarding the Chozo Memories in Samus Returns...a bit more of an in-depth explanation as well as some theory crafting thrown in...
One interesting theory was that Metroids are able to evolve due to mutations from exposure to Aeion energy...Mutations that made them aggressive towards their masters...

I def recommend this channel if you haven't seen it yet, one of the better Metroid tubers out there, he's got some pretty fun caricatures of Metroid characters that he uses as well...
I never thought about 10/2=5, good catch. I personally am all aboard the "Metroid 5 is gonna happen" train, so a vague cliffhanger makes a lot of sense for a sequel (the Metroid universe as it is has virtually every major conflict resolved).

The theory about aeion energy causing metroid mutation makes a lot of sense as well.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

This is glorious news. Now we just need to see the Metroid Series see the same revival that the Fire Emblem Series had.

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
I've been playing a lot of Samus Returns lately, and I've been having a lot of fun with the game, but I've got a question about the game that I don't know the answer to. I just recently made it past Area 6, meaning that I have all of the suit upgrades (read: everything that isn't energy tanks, missile expansions, etc.). Throughout the game, I've noticed that certain items and/or pathways have been hidden behind red spikes and green . . . things (I can't really describe their appearance, but people who've played the game should have an idea of what I'm talking about). So, how do I get past them? Thanks in advance.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I've been playing a lot of Samus Returns lately, and I've been having a lot of fun with the game, but I've got a question about the game that I don't know the answer to. I just recently made it past Area 6, meaning that I have all of the suit upgrades (read: everything that isn't energy tanks, missile expansions, etc.). Throughout the game, I've noticed that certain items and/or pathways have been hidden behind red spikes and green . . . things (I can't really describe their appearance, but people who've played the game should have an idea of what I'm talking about). So, how do I get past them? Thanks in advance.
There's a new technique that was added into the game...power bomb required...
People call it the Spider Spark...

While Spider Balling on a wall/surface drop a Power Bomb and you'll basically shinespark perpendicular to the surface you were on...that's how you get past the red spikes...

The green crystals here and there are something you can only bypass at the end of the game...should be pretty obvious when you can...

There's a new technique that was added into the game...power bomb required...
People call it the Spider Spark...

While Spider Balling on a wall/surface drop a Power Bomb and you'll basically shinespark perpendicular to the surface you were on...that's how you get past the red spikes...

The green crystals here and there are something you can only bypass at the end of the game...should be pretty obvious when you can...
wtf I never learned that after beating the game. I thought I just couldn't figure out a puzzle. Now I feel dumb
:061:

AmericanDJ

NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
Alright, I've now beaten the Metroid Queen.
I'm pretty sure that I now have the ability to destroy the green crystals seen throughout the game.
Just wondering, there's a transport station sometime before the final boss, right? Because it would suck if there isn't.

Also the Baby Metroid is adorable.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Alright, I've now beaten the Metroid Queen.
I'm pretty sure that I now have the ability to destroy the green crystals seen throughout the game.
Just wondering, there's a transport station sometime before the final boss, right? Because it would suck if there isn't.

Also the Baby Metroid is adorable.
Yes there is...

And yes it is :p

AmericanDJ

NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
Reposting this from the Nintenzone social:

I beat Metroid: Samus Returns earlier today.
The only other 2D Metroid game that I've played is Super Metroid, but at the moment, I think that Samus Returns might be my favorite of the 2D Metroids. To summarize, I personally really liked some of the quality of life changes in the game, such as the ability to pin certain parts of the map for later and the introduction of Teleport Stations to make backtracking easier.
I feel like the Aeion abilities as well, my favorite of which being the Beam Burst.
I did notice that it was a bit harder than Super Metroid was.(Not necessarily a bad thing though) Having the Reserve Tank from the :4zss: amiibo helped me out quite a lot throughout the game.

Overall, it was a lot of fun and it might be one of my favorite 3DS games now.

D

Deleted member

[More anticipation for an HD remaster of Metroid Prime Trilogy acquired.]

IronTed

Smash Ace
https://www.hobbyconsolas.com/lista...mus-returns-entrevista-yoshio-sakamoto-279253

I cannot speak Spanish, so I am going off of a Google translation from another site. There is a lot of intriguing information here.
  1. The lack of 2D Metroid on DS was because the console lacked the technical specifications that Sakamoto had in mind for a new game.
  2. There were lots of sound effects taken from the Prime games because Sakamoto felt they fit the game. Were not taken just for the sake of it.
  3. Ridley showing up as a boss at the end was MercurySteam's idea.
  4. Sakamoto explains that 2D Metroid and Metroid Prime are essentially their own different sagas, with no direct link within their stories. When the Prime games started development, Sakamoto and the producers of the latter agreed to preserve the timelines together and have some sort of minimum consistency, but also be free to create the games they felt were appropriate and avoid doing anything that would coerce the other.
  5. No plans for remakes of Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion.
  6. Comments regarding the secret of 2d/10 Chozo Memory "[It] is implying something, but I would like you all to try to find out what it is for now!"
  7. Overall is proud to have worked with MercurySteam to create a well received Metroid game."
I personally am glad he shot down the idea a Super or Fusion remake right now, makes Metroid 5 look more likely every day.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm glad to see the love Metroid's getting in this game with the additions of Ridley and Dark Samus. And both Federation Force and Samus Returns are getting music tracks as well so even the new Metroid games are getting at least some representation.

Also, it seems very likely that the mystery mode will be some sort of story mode, one that will more than likely feature bosses such as the already confirmed Rathalos and Dracula. I'm also willing to bet money that Kraid, with his new updated look, will also be a boss in this mode.

If this is true, this will be the first time wen get to fight against Kraid since Zero mission.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Since I’ll be using this forum sub-section again here and there, obligatory bump for this thread.

Just finished my last run on Dread required to unlock the rest of the ending gallery on my file. Even on hard mode, was satisfied enough with my speedrun without having to resort to the sequence break stuff. Will dabble with that though should I do another run simply to beat my previous time records, but have grinded the game enough for now.

One of the gripes with Dread that keeps me from putting it up there with like Super Metroid is the mostly lack of being able to backtrack until the end game. When you do get powerups though, it opens plenty new areas of the map, so the forced progression isn’t all bad, but I don’t see myself doing 100% speedruns on Dread with how it works, like I used to do with Super or Fusion. Still, great game overall that gave me my money’s worth with the number of times I’ve already gone through it.

D

Deleted member

As Metroid Dread's sales keep growing to the point to (hopefully) make it the best-selling entry in the series, do you think Yoshio Sakamoto will make another attempt to bring the classic Metroid formula to 3D?

As to say a new Other M but without its flaws and with everything that worked but better?

Laniv

Smash Lord
Okay I know Metroid Dread just happened but...

what do you think of the chances of us finally seeing Metroid Prime 4 at the Game Awards this year?

Top Bottom