• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Z-drop into Z-drop combo

Savajho

Smash Rookie
NNID
Savajho
Hello, mega man mains.

About 30 minutes ago, i was labbing Z-dropping with megaman when i pulled this off:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QORv5Xi0jZw
(Sorry for the potato quality, i can't use my wii u right now)

To perform this, you need to Z-drop right before touching the ground, jump back, let the control stick back to neutral, catch the metal blade with your grab button, then repeat as long as you can.
The timing is really strict.

In training mode, i managed to combo up to 3 Z-drops then follow up with a Bair on slower speeds, and i think this combo can deal a f*** ton of damages if it's optimized.

P.S: english is not my native language, sorry if i made any mistake

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
Looks nice but seems like it would be difficult to pull off in the heat battle. And may only work on the larger characters? Looks like you barely hit DK the second time.

PS If you didn't say english wasn't your native language, I wouldn't have been able to tell.

Last edited:

GrandTale

Smash Rookie
I actually found that a while ago, just never brought it up cause I though it was too hard to do consistantly. It really helps against big heavys though. Maybe an up air is possible after 2 z drops, but i feel like bair is good enough. Heck maybe 2 z drops into thrown metal blade forward into an aerial might work.

Also something I like to do when I get the set up is at 0 percent is down throw after diagonal metal blade, pivot b air (this grabs the metal blade), z drop as fast as possible into another b air. It's not a true combo, but if the opponent doesn't move fast enough it does around 30% i believe.

Last edited:

Savajho

Smash Rookie
NNID
Savajho
Looks nice but seems like it would be difficult to pull off in the heat battle. And may only work on the larger characters? Looks like you barely hit DK the second time.

PS If you didn't say english wasn't your native language, I wouldn't have been able to tell.
It works on other characters, but mostly at mid percents and ofc it deals less damage.
I tested it again, and on 1/4 speed i got something like 5 Z-drops on bowser, which almost dealt 70%

It's difficult to pull off in the heat of the battle, but so are the footstool combos.
This one actually has easy inputs since it only requires to press jump and grab, so i think that if we train enough on the timing this combo might be practical and make the matchups against characters with large hurtboxes even easier.

Savajho

Smash Rookie
NNID
Savajho
I actually found that a while ago, just never brought it up cause I though it was too hard to do consistantly. It really helps against big heavys though. Maybe an up air is possible after 2 z drops, but i feel like bair is good enough. Heck maybe 2 z drops into thrown metal blade forward into an aerial might work.

Also something I like to do when I get the set up is at 0 percent is down throw after diagonal metal blade, pivot b air (this grabs the metal blade), z drop as fast as possible into another b air. It's not a true combo, but if the opponent doesn't move fast enough it does around 30% i believe.
After 2 Z-drops, upair is possible if you're close enough to the opponent.
2 Z-drops into thrown metal blade should be possible, but i haven't tested it yet

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
It's difficult to pull off in the heat of the battle, but so are the footstool combos.
This one actually has easy inputs since it only requires to press jump and grab, so i think that if we train enough on the timing this combo might be practical and make the matchups against characters with large hurtboxes even easier.
But the thing about footstool combo is that only the opening move is difficult to land, and as a punish even that part can be simple. Once you get the footstool+z drop, the rest is easy street because the actions that follow are set in stone and there's plenty of room/time.

I'm being told the timing on this is really strict, and the spacing is too, so it would be harder to pull the whole thing off. Plus you would need a suitable opening to even start it, which isn't guaranteed like the footstool. Finding that opening safely won't be easy, getting close enough with your back turned and not doing another move while worrying about their movement. Even as a punish that would be hard because of the specific starting point. You'd need to have many things align, whereas the footstool can be started in many ways. Left/right, front/back, ground/air.

Doesn't mean it's not a good move.

Last edited:

Savajho

Smash Rookie
NNID
Savajho
I think this combo can actually be a good shield pressure tool. Can someone test it? I can do it myself but it's hard to manage two controllers at the same time.

Top Bottom