• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yuri Lowenthal Appreciation Thread

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Marth finally got his English voice and I'm ecstatic. Considering Yuri's been voicing him since 2015, it would've been a bad choice not to have him voiced by him in Smash.

But yeah, great voice. I've always been a fan of his portrayal of Marth.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm kinda going to miss Hikaru Midorikawa, though. His Marth was the perfect symbol of a franchise that had yet to make it big outside of Japan.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Post clips.
There are none. We’ve only heard Lowenthal in Ultimate in the presentation, where he says “Keep your eyes open!”

This is Marth’s voice in the latest FE title, so it’s pretty much what he’ll sound like in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
In addition to the Heroes clips above, his support conversations in Warriors also showcase his voice well.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I recognized him immediately in the Direct and I am beyond hype! Ever since they found a consistent, prominent English VA for Marth, I'd hoped it was only a matter of time. I love Yuri's Marth and his work in general. He really does "underdog or uncertain hero" characters well.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Hope Roy gets the same treatment.
I don’t see why he wouldn’t. They made the effort of even further decloning him, so they’re probably going to get Ray Chase for him. I don’t think Chase is a union voice actor like Steve Burton (Cloud) is, so it shouldn’t be a problem.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I don’t see why he wouldn’t. They made the effort of even further decloning him, so they’re probably going to get Ray Chase for him. I don’t think Chase is a union voice actor like Steve Burton (Cloud) is, so it shouldn’t be a problem.
I haven't seen much about him getting more decloning outside of what he already got. Most I can tell is more fire.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Dude I was so pumped when he spoke English in the Direct. Yuri did a good job of making him sound intense and ready to fight, from that one line we heard!

Less excited about Greg Chun voicing Ike, though. I miss the classic Ike already :ohwell:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Dude I was so pumped when he spoke English in the Direct. Yuri did a good job of making him sound intense and ready to fight, from that one line we heard!

Less excited about Greg Chun voicing Ike, though. I miss the classic Ike already :ohwell:
I like it so far. His “prepare yourself” is so sexy.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Well, now that the one Smash character who's famous for having a Japanese voice is now speaking English, I sure hope they can get Steve Burton to voice Cloud. Cloud speaking Japanese made even less sense than Marth and Roy because he had an English voice for almost a decade before being put in Smash unlike Marth and Roy representing games only sold in Japan when Melee came out and if Steve Burton wasn't available, they could have used archived recordings, have a good imitator voice him or just simply not put him in the game. But hey, I'm glad Marth is speaking English now. If there was a Story Mode for Smash Bros Ultimate, at least they don't have to put in a joke about Marth being Japanese.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I hope I have the option of Japanese Marth.

No offense to Yuri Lowenthal or his voice-acting, but I am sick of hearing his voice in every single game I play.

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
While I loved the tradition of Marth always speaking Japanese in these games to represent how big it was in Japan at the time, its such a small detail I'll probably won't care about in the long run.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I hope I have the option of Japanese Marth.

No offense to Yuri Lowenthal or his voice-acting, but I am sick of hearing his voice in every single game I play.
Well, if you want the option of Japanese Marth to be the same as past games, I would also like Twilight Princess outfits for the Zelda characters, Charizard's Rock Smash back, Wolf's Brawl look, unchanged Final Smashes, etc. But most modern games have language settings, so maybe that would be how you hear Marth's old Japanese voice at the cost of many other characters also speaking Japanese.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well, if you want the option of Japanese Marth to be the same as past games, I would also like Twilight Princess outfits for the Zelda characters, Charizard's Rock Smash back, Wolf's Brawl look, unchanged Final Smashes, etc. But most modern games have language settings, so maybe that would be how you hear Marth's old Japanese voice at the cost of many other characters also speaking Japanese.
Well your other suggestions would require significant dev time.
Adding a language option should be relatively easy considering they have both voicelines already made.

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
Yuri certainly a great voice actor, but I'm going to miss Japanese Marth. So many hours with him, it's going to be weird to hear him in English since I didn't play much of Heroes/Warriors/Marth's games in general.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
On the contrary i don't think i've played any games with Lowenthal (?), so i welcome Marth's english voice, now it's consistent with the rest of the FE cast (what language does Roy speaks in Ultimate anyways?)

Still it would be cool to personalize characters voices for those that miss the Japanese one, which is getting new voice clips too.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
On the contrary i don't think i've played any games with Lowenthal (?), so i welcome Marth's english voice, now it's consistent with the rest of the FE cast (what language does Roy speaks in Ultimate anyways?)

Still it would be cool to personalize characters voices for those that miss the Japanese one, which is getting new voice clips too.
Roy is currently unknown, but I’m hoping for his Heroes voice
Yuri certainly a great voice actor, but I'm going to miss Japanese Marth. So many hours with him, it's going to be weird to hear him in English since I didn't play much of Heroes/Warriors/Marth's games in general.
Don’t worry, you’ll get used to him quickly...after gettin to listen to him for some time

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
I heard yuri in various anime roles throughout the years (naruto,gurrenlagann,etc) .I honestly think you couldn't ask for a more fitting englishvoiced actor than yuri to voiced marth.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I know Yuri's going to be Spiderman in the upcoming PS4 game, so there's that. don't watch much anime, so I couldn't tell you other stuff he's been in, but I liked him in Heroes and Warriors.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Marth's games (even the DS remakes) didn't have voice acting; only text.

Folt

Smash Ace
Marth finally getting an English voice for Smash now seems fitting, considering that Fire Emblem has recently established itself as a big deal outside of Japan as well. We have come far.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
It took a little getting used to, but I do like Lowenthal as Marth. The voice is pretty suiting and makes him seem like a decent guy.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Fully prepared for Yuri to voice both Spidey and Marth

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
That's right, he's going to be playing Spider-Man too, isn't he? I'll have to check that out. I'm sure he'll do a fine job, though Keaton is still my favorite voice for the webhead.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Fun fact: Yuri Lowenthal also voices Alucard, whose an assist trophy in Ultimate.

He did? That's cool. Since he's already on-board with this game, I'm sure he'll be reprising that role as well.
He is. You can hear a little of Alucard in the Direct when they show his assist trophy and it’s definitely Lowenthal.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I love Yuri Lowenthall, he’s played some of my favorite roles in videogames, anime, and even Ben 10, some of my favorite roles of his was Yosuke from Persona 4 and Simon from Gurren Laggan.

He’s probably one of my favorite anime voice actors.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
And Sean Schemmel who voices Lucario, also voices Goku. Goku confirmed for SSBU.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
And Sean Schemmel who voices Lucario, also voices Goku. Goku confirmed for SSBU.
Yeah, I hope so. Sakurai keeps breaking fan rules and even put in characters he previously stated can't be in Smash. The one character per third-party company was broken with Ryu and the one character per third-party franchise was broken by Richter. Anyway, since Yuri Lowenthal is giving Marth an English voice, I sure hope Roy can get an English voice and maybe they should find a way to get Steve Burton to lend his voice to Cloud.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
And David Vincent (voice of Male Robin) also voices Richter.
You’re absolutely right, I forgot that he voiced Robin!
I love Yuri Lowenthall, he’s played some of my favorite roles in videogames, anime, and even Ben 10, some of my favorite roles of his was Yosuke from Persona 4 and Simon from Gurren Laggan.

He’s probably one of my favorite anime voice actors.
Ben 10 was my childhood, so it makes me happy that Yuri Lowenthal is still such a success.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's nice but I've heard in him in so many roles that it sounds more like Yuri Lowenthal than Marth. It will be hard to get used to.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I guess that's why I'm okay with it; I'm not as exposed to his other roles as some of you. Good point, osby.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Spider-Man PS4 out and I gotta say...Yuri Lowenthal is definitely one of the best Spidey voice actors of all time

Last edited:
Top Bottom