• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yuri Lowenthal Appreciation Thread

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
I loved his work in Ben 10 as a child, so I knew he would be a perfect pick for Spiderman. (My apparent favorite childhood hero)
In all honesty when I here Marth talk I hear Ben Tension without the cocky attitude.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
That’s actually a great way to explain his Marth

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
So Yuri Lowenthal is Marth and Spiderman.
Laura Bailey is Lucina and MJ.
This is a strange coincidence.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Strange...but also acceptable

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I was surprised at just how natural Lowenthal was in Spider-Man, like he’d been playing the character for years. The man is incredibly talented.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
There are none. We’ve only heard Lowenthal in Ultimate in the presentation, where he says “Keep your eyes open!”
In a few gameplay videos, I've heard Marth shout what sounds like, "My turn!" when he lands a counter.

Anyway, I must agree that Lowenthal is a talented voice actor. If Felix from Golden Sun makes it in the game, I'm hoping Lowenthal voices him, too.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
In a few gameplay videos, I've heard Marth shout what sounds like, "My turn!" when he lands a counter.

Anyway, I must agree that Lowenthal is a talented voice actor. If Felix from Golden Sun makes it in the game, I'm hoping Lowenthal voices him, too.
Oh did they finally bring back counter quotes!!? They were horribly missing from the last game. And "my turn" would be a perfect way to represent a turn-based game like Fire Emblem.

Maikou

Smash Ace
Oh did they finally bring back counter quotes!!? They were horribly missing from the last game. And "my turn" would be a perfect way to represent a turn-based game like Fire Emblem.
Smash 4 at the very least had Lucina quipping "My turn!" or "You're mine!" when she lands a counter. I could swear Marth had his too though. I primarily played Lucina for a good long while in Smash 4. She was basically my main until I found IzawSmash's Art of Lucario video and began practicing him, so I heard her counter lines decently often.

Anyway, having played FE Warriors, Yuri is definitely a great Marth. When I first heard him, I thought he sounded almost exactly like his JP voice. Honestly though, I'm really just glad Marth is finally dubbed in Smash.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I believe Ike said "YOU'REOPEN" when he procced counter.

With Greg Chun though, I believe that line got changed to "GOTCHA" which I'm a bigger fan of.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Smash 4 at the very least had Lucina quipping "My turn!" or "You're mine!" when she lands a counter. I could swear Marth had his too though. I primarily played Lucina for a good long while in Smash 4. She was basically my main until I found IzawSmash's Art of Lucario video and began practicing him, so I heard her counter lines decently often.

Anyway, having played FE Warriors, Yuri is definitely a great Marth. When I first heard him, I thought he sounded almost exactly like his JP voice. Honestly though, I'm really just glad Marth is finally dubbed in Smash.
I think using her lines was actually patched in. There's also whatever Ike "says" when he counters, but I don't even know for sure if those are words.

Also, a bit of trivia, I think Lucina's counter quotes were the same quotes as some of her dual strike quotes from Awakening.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
All Marth does for Counter Attack in Smash 4 is grunt, like he does for his aerials. It's sad because his Counter quotes were actual sentences and sounded badass.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I think using her lines was actually patched in. There's also whatever Ike "says" when he counters, but I don't even know for sure if those are words.

Also, a bit of trivia, I think Lucina's counter quotes were the same quotes as some of her dual strike quotes from Awakening.
Ike says “You’re open!” when he counters. I think there’s an unused voice clip of him saying “Got you,” too.

It’s pretty strange that they had to patch in Lucina’s Counter voice clips. They also made her grunt when she did a Dolphin Slash in the same patch, while Marth received neither of these changes.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Ike says “You’re open!” when he counters. I think there’s an unused voice clip of him saying “Got you,” too.

It’s pretty strange that they had to patch in Lucina’s Counter voice clips. They also made her grunt when she did a Dolphin Slash in the same patch, while Marth received neither of these changes.
Maybe it was because he was unlocalized and they didn't want him to clash as much with the others?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
To be honest, I didn’t really like his Alucard. I think Belgrade’s deep baritone was perfect, but that was only recast that I didn’t like. Everybody else was cast flawlessly.

GodOfSocks

Smash Journeyman
It's great to see characters not from starfox/kid icarus getting good voicework this time around.
Also Marth had dialogue in the world of light trailer and that was a nice surprise

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
It's great to see characters not from starfox/kid icarus getting good voicework this time around.
Also Marth had dialogue in the world of light trailer and that was a nice surprise
It sure was a surprise, too bad the lip syncing for his line was really off. Most likely due to the model being animated for Japanese dialogue originally.

Top Bottom