• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yugioh anyone?

tEhrXXz0r

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone keep up with the current Yugioh metagame? I wish I could become more competitive, but I have very little money to constantly buy cards :ohwell:

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I thought you meant the anime when I saw your topic title.

I ditched YuGiOh in middle school. That's when it was all the hype.

-Terywj

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I remember when I was in 2nd grade and I think that was when the anime came out. I collected ALL the cards. I got every starter pack and my binder that I bought to contain them was SOOOOOO full. I also remember buying the LEGIT god cards, but I lost 2 of them when I loaned them. I was such an idiot to do that and still regret it. Those three cards had costed a fortune. The only one I had left was the Winged Dragon of Raa. My favorite one is Slifer... why did I loan it. Now they do some thing with motorcycles and I don't get the rules anymore. Tried to get back into and knew nothing about the rules so I stopped

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Stopped playing years ago.

YuGiOh the abridged is the only reason i still care about YGO at all xD

finalark

SNORLAX
As far as Yu-Gi-Oh goes, well, the Manga is one hell of a hidden jem. I'll be honest, the card game is actually a pretty good game it's just that everyone goes "Yu-gay-ho? lol play magic u n00b." I haven't played the Yu-Gi-Oh card game since middle school, and that was when I was teaching an elementry school kid how to play the game. I think the last time I bought Yu-Gi-Oh cards was about a year ago out of a nostalgic impulse.

tEhrXXz0r

Smash Journeyman
'Tis a shame that no one plays anymore. The Yugioh metagame is pretty competitive.
The only downside is that as the metagame changes, your deck does too. This means more money goes down the drain to compensate for the occasional forbidden/limited lists.

finalark

SNORLAX
You think that YGO sucks money out of your wallet? Ha! Magic with suck your wallet dry for several reasons, one of which is the bull**** known as "cycling out." Every three sets, any set made prior the last cycle becomes ban from tourney play. That way you have to buy new cards if you want to play competitivley.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I play, but I don't actually own any cards. I used to be a registered Judge for Shonen and Konami tournaments so Im fairly skilled at the game if only because I know how to abuse the most obscure rules ever. I have a friend who recently got stupid into the game, used to run a Twilight deck but then dropped it for Zombies. When I do play I usually just use whatever deck someone else isn't using so Im pretty knowledgeable about most deck types/play styles.

*shrug* So lets talk about yugioh?

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
I used to play cause at my camp we had different age groups. i was in the older age group... the little kids used to annoy their parents to buy them loads of booster packs. Every once in a while they would have a gem. So i used to rip them off. They were young and naive so they didnt know the value. LOL i did the same thing with pokemon cards too.

Trading a rattata + nidoran for a electrode and nidoking= hilarious

cutter

Smash Champion
You think that YGO sucks money out of your wallet? Ha! Magic with suck your wallet dry for several reasons, one of which is the bull**** known as "cycling out." Every three sets, any set made prior the last cycle becomes ban from tourney play. That way you have to buy new cards if you want to play competitivley.
There's formats called Vintage, Legacy, and Elder Dragon Highlander that have no rotation of sets. Once new cards are introduced, they are in that format forever unless they are banned/restricted (which is usually very, very rare).

Extended also has sets rotate out at a much slower pace than T2.

As an MTG player, I can safely say it is a much better game than Yugioh in terms of gameplay. The land/mana system prevents people from dropping over half their hand on turn 1 unlike Yugioh where all 4-star monsters and Spell/Trap cards are all free to summon/set respectively.

MTG also has a much better handle on power creep than Yugioh. Remember when Mechanical Chaser was like a $150 promo card because it was the strongest 4-star monster at the time? Then Gemini Elves get released, which trump Mechanical Chaser because of the extra 50 attack. Then Gene-Warped Werewolf comes out and obsoletes Gemini Elves. Etc. etc.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I used to play cause at my camp we had different age groups. i was in the older age group... the little kids used to annoy their parents to buy them loads of booster packs. Every once in a while they would have a gem. So i used to rip them off. They were young and naive so they didnt know the value. LOL i did the same thing with pokemon cards too.

Trading a rattata + nidoran for a electrode and nidoking= hilarious
Oh please teach me your cruel ways. Teach me how to rip off little kids for very valuable cards

t3akup

Smash Apprentice
well this makes me feel a little bit uncomfortable.
and I sense a possible flaming coming on...
A. I play Yu-Gi-Oh. As a matter of fact, everyone I know
plays YGO (<-- lazy). and we duel competitively *hides*
B. I don't care much for the series or anything involving
the series, I just play because it's what my friends are
always doing (granted they're all a bit younger than I am).
C. I don't think its so terrible to play YGO at an older age.
Most Nintendo games were either ment for children or
Family and most of people that play them are normally
in the late teens, early twenties. Without children and they
play by themselves.
For someone to say they've out grown it (age wise), its much
more likey that you haven't out "grown" it but you've been
introduced to things you like more.

eh. commence flaming.

tEhrXXz0r

Smash Journeyman
I play, but I don't actually own any cards. I used to be a registered Judge for Shonen and Konami tournaments so Im fairly skilled at the game if only because I know how to abuse the most obscure rules ever. I have a friend who recently got stupid into the game, used to run a Twilight deck but then dropped it for Zombies. When I do play I usually just use whatever deck someone else isn't using so Im pretty knowledgeable about most deck types/play styles.

*shrug* So lets talk about yugioh?
Very cool haha. Zombies, Lightsworn, and Blackwings are still dominating the metagame... Although after the new booster pack Absolute Powerforce is released, X Sabers will rise on the tier list (hopefully).

finalark

SNORLAX
well this makes me feel a little bit uncomfortable.
and I sense a possible flaming coming on...
A. I play Yu-Gi-Oh. As a matter of fact, everyone I know
plays YGO (<-- lazy). and we duel competitively *hides*
B. I don't care much for the series or anything involving
the series, I just play because it's what my friends are
always doing (granted they're all a bit younger than I am).
C. I don't think its so terrible to play YGO at an older age.
Most Nintendo games were either ment for children or
Family and most of people that play them are normally
in the late teens, early twenties. Without children and they
play by themselves.
For someone to say they've out grown it (age wise), its much
more likey that you haven't out "grown" it but you've been
introduced to things you like more.

eh. commence flaming.
I'd say that there's no shame in playing YGO. I mean hey, if it's your perfered card game then go ahead and play it. I'll be honest, YGO is a solid TCG that's not only fun to play, but it's also good on a competitive level. I say that if you like the game, then go for it. There's not shame in playing something that you like. For instance, I really like the WoW TCG. Sure, it's a licended product but I think that it's a great game that they actually put a lot of effort into making. The only reason why I don't play it all that much is because I don't know anyone else who plays.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Eh Im freaking 22 years old and I played Yu-Gi-Oh today.

Bear in mind it was the 1st time in ages but weird that a thread like this pops up on the same day.

God I love the game.The show USED to be good.Then GX was vomited up.Nothing beats the Pegasus saga till the Marik saga episodes.

Stealth Bird is too much win.

finalark

SNORLAX
XD omg I thought I was the only one that played the WoW TCG
(and a few other people of course)
HOLY CRAP YOU ARE AWESOME! I haven't bought any new cards since Drums of War, so my deck is outdated, but still...

Eh Im freaking 22 years old and I played Yu-Gi-Oh today.
I think that less people would say things like "lolz you play you-gay-ho" if the game was treated like it is in Japan. **** you 4Kids for causing Konami and Uppdeck to censor the cards...

God I love the game.The show USED to be good.Then GX was vomited up.Nothing beats the Pegasus saga till the Marik saga episodes.
Go check out the manga. Like, now. But don't start with YGO: Duelist. Read just "Yu-Gi-Oh."

t3akup

Smash Apprentice
HOLY CRAP YOU ARE AWESOME! I haven't bought any new cards since Drums of War, so my deck is outdated, but still...
yeah, I used to have a disgusting obsession with WoW.
so like... the minute I found out there was a TCG I orgasmed
like there was no tomorrow XD (I wish i were kidding)

mine is probably more out-dated than yours. I haven't
played in ages (well, I haven't played since I started
playing brawl, go figure) and I got depressed when my
mom cancled my WoW account. So recently I haven't
been all "OMG WoW *twitch*"

BUT ANYWAY: yeah yu-gi-oh. blah. <_<; i did not just get off topic.

finalark

SNORLAX
yeah, I used to have a disgusting obsession with WoW.
so like... the minute I found out there was a TCG I orgasmed
like there was no tomorrow XD (I wish i were kidding)
Holy crap I can actually relate to this (gazes over at dusty WoW miniatures).

I recently started playing WoW again after taking a year off. THIS GAME WILL NOT LET ME HAVE MY LIFE BACK.

Anyway, so yeah, Yu-Gi-Oh. So... I always liked Dragons. Anyone one else?

Pikaville

Does anyone know of some sort of dueling game you can download and play others in via some sort of online mode?

Perhaps a full card list to construct your deck from?

Noah saga style haha.

finalark

SNORLAX
Does anyone know of some sort of dueling game you can download and play others in via some sort of online mode?

Perhaps a full card list to construct your deck from?

Noah saga style haha.
I came across something like that once, it isn't up anymore though.

Oh hey, I remember the Noah Saga! That kid had Daddy issues.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Hey guys I have a question.

I remember that I was watching the original anime. Its the story arc where those guys takes yugis god cards and use green triangles to get a power boost and mai goes to the dark side and all. How did the saga end and how did the yami yugi get back from the dark side?

Sorry, but I never got to finish it..

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Once you've spent 'bout $150 on Yu-Gi-Oh card packs and don't even obtain 50% of what you want out of each of those packs you pack up your stuff and walk away from the card gaming community w/ rage. :samus2:

finalark

SNORLAX
Hey guys I have a question.

I remember that I was watching the original anime. Its the story arc where those guys takes yugis god cards and use green triangles to get a power boost and mai goes to the dark side and all. How did the saga end and how did the yami yugi get back from the dark side?

Sorry, but I never got to finish it..
The Orcalcos Saga? Er... it's been too long, I can't remember. I think that Dartz nearly wins but Dark Yugi uses the card that Pegassas gave him to summon the legendary dragons. Or something like that. I think.

Pikaville

The Orcalcos Saga? Er... it's been too long, I can't remember. I think that Dartz nearly wins but Dark Yugi uses the card that Pegassas gave him to summon the legendary dragons. Or something like that. I think.
Yeah he used some crazy redirect attack card as well as one of the dragon knights special ability that powers 2 separate attacks into 1 infinite one to take down that divine serpent that has infinite attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F89vJ4CkNlo&feature=related (From 3.00 mins onwards)

That was madness.

I also bet that Sephiroths masamune DOESNT have the best deck.

My Ultimate deck had 2 or 3 one hit kill moves.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I never heard of the Yu-gi-oh metagame.

Just played with my mates, we all had reasonably good decks and knew the rules.

We all had 3 man-eater bugs :p
Had a couple luster dragons. Good fun, no more though.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I remember playing Yu-Gi-Oh with a single deck split in half, so it was like the same, but with half the cards, life points etc. XD.

It was a fairly good, easy to understand game. And Blue Eyes Toon Dragon was win. I remember those Egyptian God Cards being ridiculously dear though. I never owned any cards of any TCG except Digimon, and the Mewtwo card from Pokemon the First Movie, so I never got into the whole craze of Yu-Gi-Oh, and most people I knew only traded them, never played.

Pikaville

I think I may have found an amazing free online dueling game of high quality.

I'm installing it as we speak so if it works ill post on how to get it for those interested.

justaway12

Smash Master
I actually greatly enjoy the Yu-gi-oh TCG but I have nobody to play with :(
My sister in Uni enjoys Yu-gi-oh too, though she refuses to play the TCG with the new decks out, even though those were the only decks we found =/

We also have a PS2 game called Yu-gi-oh: Duelist of the roses, it's one of my favorite PS2 games and we also bought two more PS2 which I can't remember the names of...anyway, one was awful and we sent back, the other was a'ight and we kept. I also played Yugi the destiny and Joey the Passion in an internet cafe in Yemen, I want it desperatly, but I think I have to pay for it after I buy it or something.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Wow, I'm surprised that the game is even played.

Honestly I gave up on Yu-Gi-OH ages ago, say two years after the Anime came out, I remember when the card game first came out, I went crazy over it that I had bought like a dozen booster packs, but after a while it just went away.

Even though I ditched everything Yu-Gi-OH, I still manage to collect any rare cards that might come across me via Shounen magazines, but that's about it.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Screw the rules I have money!
lmao! I remember that

I also remember laughing my *** off when Yugi finds his grandpa on the floor and he's like "for some reason, playing a card game has caused me to be severely injured"

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
I only play with a friend of mine. We play tourny rules style and enjoy it. I check up on the metagame from time to time for no real reason. Last time I checked everyone was wigging out about honest and their lightsworn decks.
I have three decks set up. I really like the game ♥

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
lmao! I remember that

I also remember laughing my *** off when Yugi finds his grandpa on the floor and he's like "for some reason, playing a card game has caused me to be severely injured"
lol I loved that part I also think this part is pretty funny.

Joey- Brooklyn rage!

Yugi- Joey stop trying to make Brooklyn rage a catchphrase! you should stick with saying nya

Joey- Nya?

Yugi- Now taste my furry! Egyptian rage!

Joey- How is that different than me saying Brooklyn rage?

Yugi- Because I said Egyptian.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I used to collect them untill my sister threw them out along with a few of my other things in a black bin liner.

I still feel sad about that even now. I had some good cards in there.

Top Bottom