• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Youtube Modder Loopy Creates Gamecube Adaptor for 3DS

KhanYe

Smash Journeyman
When Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS was announced way back in August 2011, there was an immense amount of speculation immediately as to whether or not the game would be competitively viable. One of the main concerns for the new Smash games was what controller players would use to play competitively.

Fortunately for veteran Smash players (unfortunately for Wii U Pro Controller sales), Nintendo announced a Gamecube controller adaptor for the Wii U, so people could play the new game with the primary controller used for Melee and Brawl players. However, that left the 3DS adaptation of the game out to dry. Well, fear not young Smashers, for a Youtube user by the name of Loopy created a Gamecube controller adaptor for the 2DS/3DS.

The adaptor would be integral to competitive Smashers who don’t want to bother with a new control scheme for the 3DS and get in practice for when the Wii U version comes out. There’s already demand for it, evident by the fact that popular Live-Streamer VGBootCamp commented on a video of Loopy testing the adaptor, saying “I will pay you. Please message me.” For now, however Loopy has no intention of bringing this mod to the masses.

How interested are you in this new product? How much would you pay to have the Gamecube controller adaptor for your 2DS or 3DS?

Ayman is the new guy in town. Follow me on Twitter @ayyou9 if you're into Project M, Fantasy Football, Ariana Grande, bad puns, or cannolis. Ayman now wants a cannoli.

pickle962

Smash Lord
*facepalm* How about actually getting accustomed to the 3DS's control scheme rather than waste time and effort making gamecube controllers an option that's not even needed for a system like handhelds! Trust me, smash bros on a handheld works better than you would think so long as you know what you are doing!

Last edited:

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
Loopy, will you make an adaptor for Wiimote+nunchuk on 3DS? Yay first post!!!

EDIT: Dang it Smashboards, you processed everyone else's post before mine. I'm glad I didn't come up with a clever opening comment.

Last edited:

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
*facepalm* How about actually getting accustomed to the 3DS's control scheme rather than waste time and effort making gamecube controllers an option that's not even needed for a system like handhelds! Trust me, smash bros on a handheld works better than you would think so long as you know what you are doing!
no c-stick, main problem.

NintyTheRagekid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NintyTheRageKid
3DS FC
5455-9431-1608
Switch FC
SW-2209-3322-3333
*facepalm* How about actually getting accustomed to the 3DS's control scheme rather than waste time and effort making gamecube controllers an option that's not even needed for a system like handhelds!
What if I told you that my R button on my 3DS is broken.
What button do you shield with? R.
What button to you drift with in Mario Kart 7? R.
What button do you use to fast forward in Streetpass Plaza to not waste time talking to "petch" and "Lonk"? R.

In other words, it's better to get a new controller because a button is broken than BUY A NEW SYSTEM.

TwicH

Smash Apprentice
That's gonna feel so weird playing on that tiny screen with a controller almost as big as it XD

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Most casual statement I ever heard in my life.

Morbi

Scavenger
Interesting. I saw it the other day, it seems a little counter-intuitive; however, I cannot deny that it gave me a good laugh.

Sandfall

Stage Designer
To me, the Gamecube controller is the best controller to ever have been designed. Using it for a handheld game though? Ew, no thanks.

Last edited:

Demie Duken

Smash Cadet
NNID
DemieDuken
3DS FC
3136-7415-2711
Oh yeah, I saw this on Twitter. At first I was a bit hyped for it, but I feel that'd probably be more of a hassle to get set up for a handheld than for a console, not to mention the looks you'd get from bringing a GCN controller out of a bag to play on the 3DS. I can understand it's geared toward the competitive scene and veteran players, but that's why we have the Wii U version. Plus keeping the system stable seems like it'd be troublesome for those with a 3DS [XL model too], even if one had a stand.

Greninja'd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Asianbanana
3DS FC
0645-5951-1667
What button do you use to fast forward in Streetpass Plaza to not waste time talking to "petch" and "Lonk"? R.

In other words, it's better to get a new controller because a button is broken than BUY A NEW SYSTEM.
Send your 3DS in for repairs?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I somehow don't see this working too well unless there's some sort of system created to keep the 3DS a good amount in front of the face, otherwise it doesn't matter since a controller is useless if you can't see what you're doing on a small screen a foot or so away from you..
Maybe they can get a system set up to view the images on a TV, that'd make this a more viable option.

Til then, I just say to get used to the control set-up of the 3DS like a normal gamer..

Soul.

This is cool, but I think everyone will use the 3DS itself to play the game instead.
Of course Smash 3DS will be competitive, but yeah. I still think that even if the Wii U version is released, people will still play Smash 3DS.

Last edited:

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
The only thing the 3DS version is missing is a C-Stick that is a must, really. I'm a very good Smash Player, and will not be getting this. I'll use the gamecube controller for the Wii U Version, while i'll use the default controlls on the 3DS Version

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think the GCN Controller adapter for the 3DS is a wasted effort when you have to hold onto the 3DS to play it in the first place.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
It's only going to be a 2-3 month stretch from 3DS to WiiU.
Not worth. :applejack:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
1. Old news, been here since like Wednesday. :laugh:
2. Seriously people, this is just ridiculous. GameCube isn't the only way to play smash. My favorite smash is Melee but that doesn't mean I need a GameCube controller to play smash.
If people really want some type of GameCube controller for 3DS smash, maybe nintendo will make some GameCube like CPP (I can actually see how that'd work).

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
As amazing as this sounds on paper, it's already hard enough to keep track of things on-screen for Smash 3DS as is. Pulling myself away from the screen even farther to scrunch down and hold a gamecube controller doesn't seem right to me.
I'm just happy to have Smash on the go, competitive or not. I already know the Wii U will be the better option for competitive play, so I'm fine just using my 3DS as my For Fun and the Wii U as my For Glory. =P

Last edited:

Sun-Wukong

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I'm sorry, is the game out? You already own a copy and have played it extensively? You haven't? Right, my bad, that would be ridiculous. You just have no idea what you're talking about. There I go giving people the benefit of the doubt again when they really don't deserve it...

Master Jelly

Smash Cadet
This is why Nintendo didn't make one for the 3ds. The casuals wouldn't care and the competitive players would either man up or just stick to the Wii U. Not to mention it would make seeing things on the 3ds even more difficult.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
As a great idea as this is, were competitive players THIS DESPERATE for something competitive on the 3DS? I mean great idea an all, but christ I have a feeling that this is being taken way too seriously.

EDIT: And also, even if you had that controller, how would you look at the screen? Very far away as if it were a TV screen? Look at it normally, somehow?

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII

..... My sister uses Lonk for her Streetpass. We're in California though.

As for the adaptor. Good for you guys I guess but I would rather adapt to the 3DS control than be stuck in the past. Just saying...

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Are people really this afraid to adapt? I play competitive and I find this adapter only necessary if your 3DS buttons need repairs or you're not comfortable with the default control layout and can't change your controls for the 3DS version for some reason. I think I'll pass on the adapter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom