• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your thoughts on the Ike matchup

Qualk

Smash Cadet
Writing Team
Greetings Mario mains,

Ike main here, just wanted your thoughts on the Ike vs. Mario matchup. This is what I wrote in my Ike guide on Mario.

Mario – 25/75 Mario’s favor - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdHoZ7tLgUM

Mario is absolutely terrifying for Ike. As you’ll see in the video the Ike player switches to Richter in the third game because he’s realizing how one-sided this matchup is. First of all, you’re heavy so he can juggle you with up tilts and up airs at low percents, if he gets a hold of you his aerials come out so fast you’ll have a very hard time getting away. Secondly, Mario is one of the best characters to edge-guard Ike. Fireballs can mess you up and cause you to SD, and if he has FLUDD charged it can ruin either of your recovery abilities. So when you find yourself off-stage, air-dodging to the ledge is your best bet. If you know you’ll have to deal with FLUDD do everything you can do sweet spot to the ledge with Aether so it’s harder for him to knock you away with the water. If you can get him off stage mix up your edge-guarding as much as you can, drop off Fair can work but watch out for his cape, drop off counter can also work but make sure you time it right or you’ll get stage spiked. Eruption at the ledge is hard to time right but you can attempt it, and you can also try down-tilts and short hop down airs.

What do you guys think? Is that a fair assessment? Any info helps, thanks!

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
????? What are you talking about? Ike completely outranges and shuts down Mario in every aspect. A good ike player doesn’t let Mario into his “sword bubble” in neutral. Mario is definitely one of Ikes best matchups.

Last edited:

BlueJaySSB

Poggers my Doggers
Ike actually ruins Mario. Mario needs to get in and with Ike's aerials that's just really not possible. In fact I'd even argue Ike is one of Mario's WORST matchups.

Felancius

Smash Cadet
Ike pretty much destroys Mario and the Mario Bros. in general in such a way that a counterpick is needed, which in my experience is usually King Dedede. A good Ike player won't let Mario even get close enough to land a hit and pretty much forces a defensive playstyle with him. Basically, if Ike picks up in the meta, Mario's usage is gonna suffer because Mario has such a bad matchup against him.

I'd say 80/20 Ike's favor.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Ike pretty much destroys Mario and the Mario Bros. in general in such a way that a counterpick is needed, which in my experience is usually King Dedede. A good Ike player won't let Mario even get close enough to land a hit and pretty much forces a defensive playstyle with him. Basically, if Ike picks up in the meta, Mario's usage is gonna suffer because Mario has such a bad matchup against him.

80/20 is like Marth vs Ganondorf in Brawl or Ganondorf Vs Bayo in Sm4sh. I would understand if you said Mario lost 30-70, but 20-80 is considered virtually impossible to win and suggests the other character can't really do anything to the other. Ike is still combo food for Mario and has a very vulnerable recovery, so while I think Ike probably does win the MU, it isn't close to unwinnable for Mario.

Last edited:

HeraSwellow

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-8400-4658-5024
I mean, I'm pretty sure Ike wins the MU pretty safely, but if you want to know a Mario's mindset against Ike, here's mine:
Ike outranges the **** out of Mario and it can be hard for Mario to get in on Ike so I like to use fireballs a lot while approaching with like nair or upair. It's easier to read Ike's next movement with fireballs because really he can only jump, shield, spot dodge, roll, or just eat it. After I use fireballs I usually grab, dash attack, or catch a read with like a fsmash or something. I also find it somewhat easy for Mario to edgeguard Ike so be smart with your recovery and mix it up. So if I were you, I would just try to space yourself close enough to Mario where he can't use fireballs but where you can also hit him. Again, I'm no Mario expert or anything, but I am pretty good with him and have played a lot of Ikes and other sword characters. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

HeraSwellow

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-8400-4658-5024

It's not that bad

Qualk

Smash Cadet
Writing Team
Thanks for the feedback guys. I did adjust the ratio to 40/60 Mario's favor and changed some of the wording based on the feedback. However, I'm reluctant to push it into Mario's favor b/c the actual videos of the matchup and my personal experience don't really agree with the feedback I'm getting so hopefully I'll be able to find some more videos of the matchup after big events like Frostbite etc.

Wumbo105

Smash Ace
Thanks for the feedback guys. I did adjust the ratio to 40/60 Mario's favor and changed some of the wording based on the feedback. However, I'm reluctant to push it into Mario's favor b/c the actual videos of the matchup and my personal experience don't really agree with the feedback I'm getting so hopefully I'll be able to find some more videos of the matchup after big events like Frostbite etc.
So even though we explain exactly why Ike beats the hell out of Mario and point out how very little he can do against him, you insist on being completely wrong and still giving it in Mario's favor because "there's no videos of it"?

Go away. If you struggle against Mario as an Ike you need more help than just smashboards.

Top Bottom