• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your thoughts on Mii Fighters (so far)

Will_G223

Smash Rookie
Hi! I'm super new to this forum, this is my first thread. I was just wondering what you all think about the Mii Fighters so far.

• All of Brawler's (presumed) down specials have been shown in trailers or screenshots: Head-On Assault, Feint Jump, and a new counter that does a downward throw (spikes?)
• In comparison, not much has been revealed of Gunner and Swordfighter. This makes me think they may have gotten very significant changes in special moves.
• How do you think they would fare in online play? Will they even allowed in tournaments?
• If you choose to make one, which class would you choose?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I already made several Mii Fighters in Smash 4, and I plan to remake them in Ultimate.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
We've seen practically nothing of them and probably won't until the game launches.
These guys always have me worried, people constantly overlook them.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Wording on their design from the blog is a little bit vague and can be reasonably interpreted as either the Smash4 implementation (three moves per four specials), or as getting three preset loadouts to pick from ("...three types of Mii Fighter and select from a set of three specials for each type.").

My hope is that the only thing your Mii upload influences is their face (no size variance, I liked it but I've given up on optimal customization in the face of easy logistics), and that we get three loadouts (simplifies the "so many matchups to learn" argument down to nine total). Or even just one loadout (though the wording suggests otherwise no matter how you read it).

Online moderation also makes me suspect their abilities will be very standardized, and online will probably just render the face of a guest Mii.

Honestly I just want them legal and I can't see the community accepting them if they involve anything approaching due customization levels.

But outside of comp legality, I'm quite eager to use them on my own. Loving the new designs and animations, even on guest Miis.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
The Mii Fighters appear to be the most changed out of any of the veterans, really curious to see what else they have changed with them.

But Brawler having two completely new specials is very exciting, I wonder if the other two will have new tools to play with too. Though... with Gunner still having Laser Blaze I reaaaaaaally am hoping Grenade Launch wasn't replaced...

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I used to play a lot of Mii Sword Fighter but honestly Mii Brawler has me most excited for ultimate because 1; The new throw counter just looks fun as hell and 2) the base out fit sort of looks like Deku from My Hero Academia :-)

:135:

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
They all look super cool. I might keep default Miis this time, they feel battle ready.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Maybe this time come in three sizes like in Mario Kart. Maybe each size could have a different version of each special move.
If we are lucky there could be three level of eight and three level of thickness, leading to nine sizes
Anyway it seems they are taking them more seriously this time. Their trailer clothes are cool and pretty unique.
I hope the rest of their closet is cool as well, and more filled than last time.
I have already some wish about the clothes:
Guile's wig, Paul's wig, Akuma's wig, Blanka's wig, Blooper hat, blue mushroom hat, black shellmet, Phanto mask, Vega's costume for the swordfighters, M.Bison's cpstume, Wolf Link costume, Mouser's fursuit (with Miss Mowz for the female version), Ice Pole bear's costume, Mappy's costume, Alex Kidd's costume, Valkirie's costume, Bass's costume and a suit with a Birdo shaped armcannon for the gunners (you know Birdo would make a cool design for a cannon).

GammaMax

Smash Rookie
I'm going to wager a guess that mii's will probably never be allowed online, and definitely not in tournaments. There's to many variables with all the costume moves.

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
Hopefully they bring in new classes for Miis like Sorcerer, for example.

Last edited:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I'm going to wager a guess that mii's will probably never be allowed online, and definitely not in tournaments. There's to many variables with all the costume moves.
Unless they nerf them and let their unpredictability be their only vantage.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Customs are legal depending on your region, and i only know of one region where a customs Mii is ranked #1 in their big scene (even then, they still use Mewtwo for several MUs)

Customs Mii Brawler is high tier in Wii U for the same reasons ZSS is top tier, still, she has way better range and raw kill power in back air and flip kick. Brawler is too dependent on conversions to up special and if the other player understands how to space he'll rarely get any good hits in if the other player plays flawlessly.

Additionally, Miis aren't allowed on vs strangers because it's believed to be less fun to fight a Mii based on someone or something you may not know of. which is a pretty decent reason IMO. has nothing because of their height / moves / etc.
I don't see why they wouldn't allow it since they said they were going to make it happen. Maybe they'll make it so the Mii's appearance is client-side so the person you're playing with will likely see the "Mascot" Mii Fighter instead of say Reggie or something.

Sidboylol

Smash Cadet
I use the mii's all the time and really fun to use them. I made my own series of mii's and speaking mii's. After i was gone for a decade after Smash Bros Wii U/3DS and Ultimate got confirmed and shows more directs and showcase. My mii's list is now increased into 93 mii's. Most of my mii's have been updated so far for the hair and colors.

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
I think a large issue with what made Miis awkward to use was its dependence on settings outside the main app; namely, creating Miis on newer consoles to be the base and the height/weight sliders changing the properties of the fighters. The game not telling you this outside of tips (which you could never consistently consult) made this all the more confusing. From the looks of it, the proportions look as though they've been set for all 3 variants, which means set physics and a streamlined creation process. This alone makes them much more accessible, and even if this is still present, being able to access quick Mii creation from the Home Menu without closing Ultimate means this can theoretically be done much faster. I hope it's the former, however.

If this one change has been made, ducking into the Mii menu to create your own Mii combo should actually be viable in the down-time between matches. At this point, you'd just need one Mii to base the fighters off of, and then the menu in-game will take care of the rest. What pains me is that none of this is confirmed yet, and I'm really hoping this change has been made.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Watching some footage from events over the weekend, outside of Spirits Mode, I've only seen Miis at a single size. Hoping the small one I saw was a Spirits trick instead of Mii size, but either way, they look neat (if not the clean-and-easy "make this legal" case I was hoping for).

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Still really wish we got a Mage class for Miis since watching all these magic character whack people with their staves is getting old (and I can't reiterate enough how much of a waste it is to lose palutena and megaman customs).

I'm really hoping the legality works out, they're looking more legit and I frankly refuse to accept pros talking about how hard it is to learn the matchup in a game with 70+ fighters, 3 of which already have more moves than the others (Trainer, Ryu, Ken).

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Mii Fighters being excluded from Classic Mode is stupid... they'd better be in Spirits and/or World of Light.

ned_ballad

Smash Apprentice
Mii Fighters being excluded from Classic Mode is stupid... they'd better be in Spirits and/or World of Light.
Miis aren't excluded from Classic Mode. They're on the Classic Mode difficulty banner. They also appear in both Spirits and World of Light just like any other fighter.

Miis are no long "other" fighters who are excluded from various single player content.

Sidboylol

Smash Cadet
Miis aren't excluded from Classic Mode. They're on the Classic Mode difficulty banner. They also appear in both Spirits and World of Light just like any other fighter.

Miis are no long "other" fighters who are excluded from various single player content.
Are you saying we can't use the Mii Fighters on Classic mode? Maybe the customization is turned off.
They will selectable in the Wii U/3DS, but not here. Why?

ned_ballad

Smash Apprentice
Are you saying we can't use the Mii Fighters on Classic mode? Maybe the customization is turned off.
They will selectable in the Wii U/3DS, but not here. Why?
You can use Miis in classic mode in Ultimate.

Bunk McSkunk

Smash Rookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cJkjZTaRLY

Besides the website trailer, this is all we have for Mii Brawler and Mii Swordfighter. I know there are spirits involved but this does produce good information.

For Brawler, Helicopter Kick and Feint Jump are back, which is a *very* good omen for him. Who knows if these moves will be anywhere near as dominant as before, but I can't imagine a world where having access to either of these is a bad thing. He also seems to have some frames chopped off of the forward and down smashes. I don't know if this is because of the spirit or not, but I hope for his sake it isn't.

For Swordfighter, I did not see Airborne Assault charging even slightly, I wonder if it still can.

Bunk McSkunk

Smash Rookie
Our first decent footage of Mii Brawler! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjv3HSg4kCI

He keeps all the 1111 specials he had prior, meaning the 1122 (Shot Put, Onslaught, Helicopter Kick and Feint Jump) layout will be possible in Xanadu (bless the Xanadu team for letting Miis do their thing).

I really dig his new outfit, expressions and animations, it really helps him seem more like a trained fighter and a character that belongs in this game.

0:19 One of the hits in Onslaught (which now looks great by the way) made the spike sound effect, I wonder if that could be abused in some cheeky way in the future. Onslaught retains its strong kill power it had before, as seen at 1:03. It looks to have more end lag than usual on a missed attempt (1:52).

0:30 Up air has a new animation and looks even quicker than usual, though that might just be a placebo from the move being different.

0:36 You can cancel Soaring Axe Kick's decent! Perhaps this move will see some usage now as you will be able to utilize drift and mix up your way back to the ledge more.

1:48 Fsmash has a new animation, but based on the way he stances up after punching, I think all that nasty end lag is still there.

2:34 New fair animation, doesn't look like the function would change but it certainly makes the move look more dynamic and unique.

I'm very much looking forward to playing around with this character and seeing what I kind find for myself! Here's hoping Gunner gets grenades and lasers back so I can play around comfortably with that character too.

dakotaisgreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaSkarner XLR
Honestly I don't even care about that stupid height/weight ****. As long as the 50/50 size is good I'll never feel the need to change it, but I'm hoping gunner is viable and usable online. I've wanted gunner to be one of my main fighters since he was revealed, but no online meant less practice, aside from the fact that gunner was ****ing ****ty in smash 4 anyways so it wasn't even worth the effort.

Is swordfighter looking better? I haven't seen much of the new Swordfighter yet.

Stickyy

Smash Rookie
The MiiFighters actually look so good. I can't wait to play Brawler online

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Mii Brawler is looking better and SSBwiki seems to indicate they've all been buffed, but with more characters than the modern Japanese alphabet who knows if they'll be viable.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Brawler's air speed looks nerfed and appears to be closer to an actual fast faller this time.

All of his animations are really "extra", they made a lot of effort to make each of his attacks look like they hurt. I wonder if the addition of Onslaught now spiking on the ground will mean anything for how consistent the move is: will you be able to tech out of it? what does it do in the air?

I don't know... he looks slower in a game where everyone got faster. Can't speak conclusively until the game is in our hands completely, but they seem to have changed up how they think you should play the character.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So has there been any word if sizes are set or not? I would assume they removed the different sizes thing

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So has there been any word if sizes are set or not? I would assume they removed the different sizes thing
Impossible to say, as the default Miis are the only ones that have been shown thus far.
Brawler's air speed looks nerfed and appears to be closer to an actual fast faller this time.

All of his animations are really "extra", they made a lot of effort to make each of his attacks look like they hurt. I wonder if the addition of Onslaught now spiking on the ground will mean anything for how consistent the move is: will you be able to tech out of it? what does it do in the air?

I don't know... he looks slower in a game where everyone got faster. Can't speak conclusively until the game is in our hands completely, but they seem to have changed up how they think you should play the character.
I believe you can't tech spikes in this game (or at least not airborne ones). My question is if you use it off stage will you get a free spike or will the last hit connect?

I like how Soaring Axe kick seems to work like Climhazard now in that you can pick wether or not you come crashing down.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I believe you can't tech spikes in this game (or at least not airborne ones). My question is if you use it off stage will you get a free spike or will the last hit connect?
This is correct! It just seems to be a change so the move feels like it's stronger.
It seems to still launch upward from some footage I've seen, but as you do mention that I'm still very curious how the Counter will work for Brawler offstage. Still no footage on that move being done in the air, and we won't have any until the game comes out either.

T!t!

Smash Cadet
Honestly I just hope that miis are gonna be allowed to use whatever moveset they want. I would like to pick up Mii swordfighter as a secondary with his awesome side special where u can angle your projectile and even shoot it in two different distances. Also with the enhanced dash mechanics, I feel that Miis will in general benefit a lot. I don't know if I was just too ********, but foxtrotting or dash dancing somehow with miis just didnt work for me in Sm4sh. In Ultimate this should no longer be a struggle from what we saw.

Other than that I can't wait to pick up the Rex costume. Looks really good.

Sidboylol

Smash Cadet
Looking forward to play the mii's once again.
Here are my opinions of the Mii Fighters. Beware for some spoilers in it.
Here are the pros and cons of the Mii Fighters.
+All the normal costumes have been returned.
+ Some new moves are added for the Brawler and the Swordfighter.
+ You can just them from the start to make immediately.
- The Mii Fighters can't be used in Classic Mode at all. There have no titles like Mario with 'Let's a go!'. They could have used them for random opponents and the end have Master Hand in it. Strange...
- Rumor has it that you can make the Mii's up to 30. To me, sounds more unlikely. If the 3DS can handle 99 Miis in it. You think that the Switch can handle even longer or more space in it.
- All the other third party costumes like Heihachi, Akira and others are removed. Probably for the copyright issue.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
So far Mii Swordfighter seems a lot better than before. Gale Strike is useful for cheesing a lot of World of Light battles, particularly stamina battles or ones where you want to keep your distance from the opponent.

Also given that I mostly played online before, it's almost like they're additional newcomers, since you couldn't use them in With Anyone modes in Smash 4.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Im loving the mii swordfighter so far. They can be played pretty campy with the tornado and chakram together. And the damage on those do not dissapoint. Free 10% while also launching them vertically so they can get up aired.

I just wish there was more discussion on them to see if they have any true combos.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I really want to see more gameplay for them. Since they aren't "actual characters" most people seem to not have any interest in them.
I hope them being playable online and the abundance of mii costume sways people. I know I wouldnt be as interested if I didnt have an Ashley as Isaac costume to flaunt online.

I'm quite new to this labbing thing, dont even know if Im doing it right or if this is already known from sm4sh, but I believe swordfighters down throw true combos into hero spin all the way up to 80%. Good damage at early percentage and a potential kill confirm later on.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I hope them being playable online and the abundance of mii costume sways people. I know I wouldnt be as interested if I didnt have an Ashley as Isaac costume to flaunt online.

I'm quite new to this labbing thing, dont even know if Im doing it right or if this is already known from sm4sh, but I believe swordfighters down throw true combos into hero spin all the way up to 90%. Good damage at early percentage and a potential kill confirm later on.
My thinking is if it seems to work all the time in training mode, try it against other players. If it's still consistent then it's probably true.

SiO2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sprocket
I'm absolutely loving Mii Gunner. Something about his kit just really clicks with me. He has his weaknesses but he is not to be underestimated.

Been using 3111, though I might switch back to 1111.

Top Bottom