• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - Apex 2015 Your thoughts of ZeRo aka Diddy Kong Winning ssb4 for wiiu singles. .-.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
It wasn't a big surprise but I'm not really upset about it. He is the best character in the current meta. Complaining about it would be like crying that Fox mains win Melee tournaments - there's just no point.

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
It wasn't a big surprise but I'm not really upset about it. He is the best character in the current meta. Complaining about it would be like crying that Fox mains win Melee tournaments - there's just no point.
Your right!
I wouldve liked to see another character win....

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I honestly don't care who wins. I'd be nice to see our favorite characters win, sure, but that isn't always going to be the case. Unless you only like top tiers, its just something you learn to accept.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
People saying Diddy wll Sm4sh the way Metaknight ruined Brawl are being fatalistic about this. There must have been 3 times more fox play Melee top 8 as Diddy play in Sm4sh top 8. As of right now we are fine.

visvim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
visvim-1893
3DS FC
1736-0405-5625
People saying Diddy wll Sm4sh the way Metaknight ruined Brawl are being fatalistic about this. There must have been 3 times more fox play Melee top 8 as Diddy play in Sm4sh top 8. As of right now we are fine.
Agreed, but it's not even about the representation of the character, so much as Diddy objectively isn't MK levels of broken. Would I be cool with him getting a nerf? Sure. But as it stands, it doesn't seem like he obliterates the metagame.

Happy for ZeRo. Props on the win.

Smash Arena

Smash Cadet
NNID
THEGREATSTALIN
I would greatly enjoy seeing some underdog character win a large Smash Tournament, but I don't mind that Diddy Kong won. I'm sure in the future we'll see Sheik win a tournament, Yoshi, Pac-Man, you name it. A lot of the power of a character comes from loving the character outside of its Smash abilities. If someone loves a character enough, they're bound to do better with that character than the next guy who's just playing it for its Smash abilities. This is something I've noticed from the match-ups and few tournaments I've participated in. I'm sure there's plenty to prove me wrong, but I'm certain that some sort of special connection between the character and player exists. I'm sure every character has someone who loves it, even Diddy Kong and Wii Fit Trainer.

Pwii

Smash Apprentice
Zero won because he is the best Smash 4 player. He's put in more time and effort than anyone, and it really showed. Also there is no way to tell if Diddy is the new Metaknight because the meta is young.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Dude outplayed everyone with one of if not THE best character atm.

So yeah let's nerf/ban Diddy!

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
If ZeRo hadn't competed in the tournament we wouldn't be having this discussion. I think that speaks more to the player's skill than anything else.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
It's not like Zero is an exceptional player or anything and isn't one of of the best Smash 4 players currently out there....

/sarcasm

GoriyaNexas

Smash Rookie
Considering ZeRo wasn't cheap with Diddy, like a lot of players currently tend to be online, etc., I find his victory to be well deserved.

Sure, ZeRo won with Diddy, but he could've mastered just about any other character, and won the tournament with the skill he has. He simply chose to master Diddy, since it probably reflects his playstyle well. Saying Diddy won the tournament is like saying "You're only good because you used a good character!" By that logic, nobody can defeat Meta Knight in Brawl. Sure, he's pretty broken, but if you're not a skilled player, any other skilled player would most likely have no problem beating you.

It's safe to assume ZeRo won because of skill, not because he used Diddy Kong.

Last edited:

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
Considering ZeRo wasn't cheap with Diddy, like a lot of players currently tend to be online, etc., I find his victory to be well deserved.

Sure, ZeRo won with Diddy, but he could've mastered just about any other character, and won the tournament with the skill he has. He simply chose to master Diddy, since it probably reflects his playstyle well. Saying Diddy won the tournament is like saying "You're only good because you used a good character!" By that logic, nobody can defeat Meta Knight in Brawl. Sure, he's pretty broken, but if you're not a skilled player, any other skilled player would most likely have no problem beating you.

It's safe to assume ZeRo won because of skill, not because he used Diddy Kong.
Yea ZeRo will even drop diddy and go to Captain Falcon an Shulk

mighty bean

Smash Cadet
I don't particularly mind that a Diddy won. He's by no means overpowered, and I understand the concept of playing to win by using dominant strategies. That being said, I still believe that overused characters kill the hype a little bit.

I remember observing Dabuz's play-style with Rosalina and Olimar, and thinking to myself, "man, I think that a good Zelda player could really put this guy to work". Call me naive, but I would hold my breath to see someone go low tier near the end just for the hype (given the matchup would prove not to be as stagnant as the other sets).

If I could give my input to ZeRo, I would just say that I would like to see some mid- or possibly even low-tier crowdpleasers. If anyone could make it happen, it would surely be a player of his skill. But if he would rather stick with Diddy, that's fine too. It's his preference. No point in getting upset over it.

Apologies if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about, I have never been to a tournament myself so this is just my visceral opinion.

birdy21

Smash Cadet
The first time a fox main won a national in melee was evo 2013, fox never won anything on a national level before that. Can we stop coimparing fox to diddy?

Last edited:
Top Bottom