• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your smash mains history that got you to Ultimate

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Just give a brief history of your mains history that lead you to where you are now in Ultimate.

____________________________​

Smash 64 - Kirby :kirby64: then Pikachu:pikachu64: . Then later also Jigglypuff :jigglypuff64: as a joke cause people thought he sucked so I just spent time going for very risky rests. Playing dumb and risky like that was the only way to handicap myself for my friends while keeping the game fun for me. But accidentally got very good in the process.

Melee - Dropped Kirby and Pika. Aggressively improved Jigglypuff:jigglypuffmelee: and picked up Fox:foxmelee:. Wanted a Marth as he was allegedly the best character in the game but couldn't figure him out. Years later the meta reveals Jiggly and Fox were just as good anyway.

Brawl - Stuck with Jigglypuff:jigglypuff: out of comfort. Abandoned Fox cause dair into upsmash (or was it uptilt?) didn't work anymore. Picked up Ike :ike:as a joke just try to land fully charged eruptions on friends (same self-nerfing rationale behind picking up Jiggly in 64). Dabbled in ROB.

Smash 4 - Dropped ROB immediately cause he sucked. Puff became neglected. Aggressively improved Ike:4myfriends:. Finally figured out Marth after all these years (+Lucina)! Dabbled in Falcon, Ganon, Mac. Aggressively improved Mac:4littlemac:and accidentally developed a strong aerial mac / offstage game as a joke by constantly overextending for the lulz.

Ultimate - Spending most time on Mac:ultlittlemac:, especially because people think he sucks. Aggressively improved Ganon:ultganondorf:and Falcon:ultfalcon:. Still improving Marcina. Ike:ultike: use has fallen and I still play him like Smash 4 Ike but he's braindead enough to use well without additional practice. Plus my jump and nair heavy Smash 4 playstyle closely resembles the new Ike's optimal playstyle anyway.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Smash 64 - Only got to play briefly at my neighbors house. I think I played :link64: back then...

Melee - This time I remember playing as :linkmelee: before I became enchanted by the blessed dino...

Brawl - :yoshi2: and the rest is history... :yoshi:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
A friend of mine owned Super Metroid. He brought it to daycare and I liked it so much I asked my parents for it for Christmas. There wasn't a Metroid game for the N64, so when I saw Samus was playable in SSB, I picked her. I've been maining Samus since.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
64 - :kirby64:
I was just a young kid, so I was awful. I just picked a character with a move I could spam and be cheap with. Final Cutter was it.
Melee - :jigglypuffmelee::roymelee:
When it came out, again, I was still somewhat of a kid. I thought Roy was a cool looking character. I liked his neutral B and up B a lot. Many years later, when I was a teenager, a friend of mine showed up and wrecked me with Jigglypuff. I was amazed you could do what he did with a character I always considered to be a joke character. After that (this was the birth of Youtube), I discovered Ken vs Bombsoldier and was, again, amazed you could move that fast. None of my friends played Puff any more, so I was determined to take up the throne and be the best. I watched The King and Mango videos on youtube and tried to do what they did. I was still pretty terrible, but managed to beat my friends a lot.
Brawl - :wolf:
First game I tried to git gud at and went to tournaments. Discovered Wolf early on and honestly thought he had a really strange moveset, but decided he was the character for me and tried my best to make it work. Learned all the tech and grew attached, still kind of bad by the end of it all. Won a few games in tournament but would never finish better than 17th at locals. Learned a ton from watching early Wolf videos on Youtube. The Germ I also picked up Snake and Toon Link as secondaries, but those didn't get me nearly as much mileage.
Smash 4 - :4duckhunt::4lucas::4cloud::4kirby::4bowser:
I somehow knew I'd play DHD the moment I saw him. I didn't think that it would stick, but I really clicked with the character, and he ended up as my main. Unfortunately, I got immensely frustrated with the character later on down the line, and learned a smattering of other characters to replace him, but just couldn't click with any of the existing high or top tiers pre-DLC. The only ones to really get me any mileage were Lucas and Cloud, but I still kind of sucked with them, and always went back to DHD. Maxed out the character getting 7th at a local. Smash 4 was a dark era for me, clear winner for my least favorite Smash game. Literally only one I've quit entirely before a new game releases.
Ultimate - :ultwolf:
And here we are. My favorite Smash character returned, so I naturally wanted to try him out the most. Turned out he was still just as much fun as he used to be, and without half the weaknesses he suffered from in Brawl. No SS tier MK to deal with, no infinites, awkward attacks replaced or upgraded. Got 5th at a local before I even discovered he's better with tilt stick. Feeling a little frustrated lately because literally everyone has studied the matchup extensively, but I don't know half these weird, niche character matchups. Haven't been feeling him as much because human beings love to **** on people for enjoying characters they don't like, sick of people being negative when I play something I enjoy. Been having more fun with Richter, Bowser, and Lucas, and have considered playing around with Cloud as well.

BZocky

Smash Ace
:ultwario:
I've been a fan of Wario previously to getting into Smash and it just so happened he was really fun to play. His aerial mobility and snappy movements resonated well with me.
...It's been weird maining a character since his debut who had always been viewed as just okay to plain mediocre, suddenly rising to the point where he's been dominating tournaments, pro players have been favoring him over their current mains and some have even been calling for nerfs.

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
64- :mario64: then :falcon64: then back to :mario64: It was the time where I felt too basic maining Mario so I went where all the hype goes towards one character. Now I just embrace being the Mario main because Mario is the ****.
Melee- :mariomelee: to :drmario: to :foxmelee::falcomelee: mostly :falcomelee: though. Melee is the first time I've ever played smash and the only other games I've played were Mario games. Being like 5, it was a no brainer why I would go with Mario. Down to my teenage years I've discovered the competitive seen and I've scene that Doc is where it's at. Even later down to smash 4 knowing that Doc is back and still has a tornado made me stick with Doc even more. Now for more technical and fast play I really like Fox and Falco. The spike is one of the best feelings to mess around with.
Brawl- :mario2: to :falcon: then back to :mario2: same explanation as the 64. I still haven't changed even though Mario sucks because I could care less competitively.
Smash 4- :4drmario: Still with the doc and he is my best character. Even with Mario being much better tier wise, I always did better with Doc. Too bad I'll probably never touch this game again.
Ultimate- :ultmario: to :ultpikachu: while currently deciding to dual main with :ultwolf:. I felt Mario doesn't cut it anymore competitively. Pikachu has what I was looking for and so far hasn't done anything wrong. I picked up Wolf recently and turns out he is really fun for me too.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Smash 64: :pikachu64::dk64:

Seeing as I was just 9 years old at the time, these where the characters I was most familiar with. And so I played with them the most. Pikachu especially. And I still find it weird that Pikachu hasn't connected with me ever since. N64 Pikachu had great combo potential and aerials, and way too much power for his lightweight build. Friends did keep saying that I was better with DK. But that's probably because they didn't know how to play against DK as good.

Melee: :pikachumelee: > :mewtwomelee: > :dkmelee: > (*in secret*) :jigglypuffmelee:

I stuck with Pikachu untill I unlocked Mewtwo and became better with Mewtwo. Pikachu didn't stuck with me as much, because his aerial game had been nerfed so badly, as well as his throws. I found that piece back with Mewtwo, who has a good but tricky to use F Air, and a killing U Throw, plus I liked Shadow Ball. After discovery of this exact forum in 2004, I found the Tier List, and saw how badly Mewtwo was, and started to ask questions. Then I saw a wonderful combo video by Captain Jack and others, and the INSANE DK Cargo U Air combos, and that pushed me to play DK instead.

YouTube wasn't as big back in 2004, and this was HYPE AS **** as a 14 year old. :')

I actually can't believe I'm still able to find this exact combo video honestly!

Then there was BUM!

A few years later, after getting my behind handled badly by a classmate who played characters as :ganondorfmelee::younglinkmelee::falcomelee::foxmelee::marthmelee:, I had to reconsider. If I where to pick a Melee character in this day and age (28 now) I would probably pick :marthmelee::sheikmelee::jigglypuffmelee: due to being familiar with their playstyle after all these Smashing years. I also always had a wicked Puff, but since there was a "stigma" against the character I didn't play Puff much.

Brawl: :diddy:

I named myself Diddy Kong Diddy Kong purely because I was upset that Diddy was never in Melee. I wanted to play the game SO BADLY I actually imported a NTSC version despite living in Europe, thus a PAL region, and played Brawl using a Freeloader. I was studying Diddy's movement, moveset and playstyle by watching videos of people playing him, and became a real treat. Shamefully, I never went to tournaments. But I would say my Diddy would've hold his own against the legion of Meta Knights in my area at the very least.

I also played :dk2::ike::ness2: a lot in this game.

Smash 4: :4diddy:

Do I even need to say anything? I never actually owned a Wii U, but played at a friend's house, and my Diddy wrecked him constantly. It was quite easy maining Diddy in this game. I eventually got a 3DS and only played online basically. I was able to do most of the technical stuff when it came to my Diddy, and think this was my most "effective" time as a Smash player. Diddy just played way too easy, and there where great Diddy players to keep inspired by, as MVD, ZeRo, Zinoto and others. I felt almost unmatched for very little effort.

My secondaries where :4dk::4myfriends::4mewtwo::4ness::4lucina:.

Ultimate: :ultdiddy: + :ultlucina::ultike:

Still maining Diddy Kong in Ultimate, this game has pushed me to WORK!! Whoa.. all the time I had such easy results with Diddy in Smash 4 are a huge contrast to what I feel I must do to keep being effective as Diddy now. I sitll won't fully main other characters, but my time invested in my secondaries is probably gonna evolve into co-maining Ike and Lucina in the near future. This is the first game where I feel like going to tourneys for, but still haven't found any in my area yet. The fact there's no professional willing to play Diddy makes me feel responsible for representing the character, so to say. I'm optimistic yet, because I feel there's untapped potential in Diddy despite the nerfs.

My secondaries I'm also still using are: :ultdk::ultmewtwo::ultness::ultlink:.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
64: never really picked one, 1st played the game on wiiware and did not play too much
Melee: originally bowser but then switched to ganondorf
Brawl: marth
4: corrin, cloud, zs samus

D

Deleted member

Started playing on SSB43DS. At release my mains were :4greninja::4link: and my secondaries were :4shulk::4zss::4jigglypuff:.
And then :4mewtwo: got in and it's legit the only character I played online until Ultimate came out.

Currently my mains are :ultcloud::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultroy: and my secondaries are :ultridley::ultpokemontrainer::ultpichu::ultincineroar::ultcorrin:.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
I've played many characters since first picking up a copy of 64 in 1999, and up into Melee I sucked complete ass with every single of of them.. until..

The Cap'n. It was around 05-06 when I started to really get into competitive Smash, and the ENTIRE reason for it is.. well, it's Falcon. Mind you I was definitely no Isai / Hax, but I LOVED the character. I had a good time with him in 64, but in Melee my god he felt so right. His momentum was so hype, when Falcon wins neutral and gets that grab.. the plays that follow typically result in your seat now being empty as you pop off in total ecstasy. When that car battery of a knee connects and your opponent flies off.. few things in life feel better. He's a swag master, iconic in every single way.. but most importantly he was a very good character that I loved to play and could do pretty well with. I had an okay Marth as well. Though the momentum-heavy combo lord that is Falcon was always who I shined brightest with.. AND had the most fun playing.

That said, as Falcon changed overtime I did become more interested in sword characters, then once Cloud became an option I switched almost right away as I'm a HUGE FF7 fan and the way Cloud plays is just.. perfect for my type of playstyle, especially in Ultimate. I still main the Cap'n as a secondary main, however, and if he got serious buffs in Ult he COULD become my primary again.

There's just few things more satisfactory than moonwalk knees and reverse falcon punches at the edge of the screen / blast zone. The Cap'n and me are bonded. I main / mained Falcon in every game from 64 to PM (I still main him in Melee to this day, don't play any of the other games much anymore though) and basically split my time between him and Cloud 50/50 in Sm4sh.. but in Ultimate with Falcon being weaker and Cloud working SO well in the faster meta of Ult.. it's more 80 Cloud / 20 Falcon now. I still love him, though.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
Smash 64 - I mained :ultkirby: because I really liked the Kirby games. It got to the point where I wanted to start using a human looking character, so I picked up :ultfalcon: as a secondary. I was familiar with F-Zero, so I thought I'd try him out.
Melee - I dropped Kirby because he felt off. I stuck with Captain Falcon. After Brawl's announcement, I for some reason traded Falcon for :ultness:.
Brawl - I heard Falcon was bad in Brawl, and I didn't want to believe it. I had stopped using him and just stuck with Ness.
3DS/Wii U/Ultimate - I've been maining Ness ever since. Most characters don't really feel comfortable to me as he does.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I never owned Smash 64, but I played it a lot whenever I would visit my cousin. I honestly can't even remember who I used. Maybe Link, Fox, or Captain Falcon. Probably Link most of the time.

I owned Melee, hardest game and system to save up for, but was worth it. Young Link, Falco, Roy, and Ice Climbers. I know I played IC the least, but still enjoyed them.

Brawl and Smash4 was Toon Link and Falco for the most part, but I slowly began to like using Doctor Mario, Marth, and occasionally Diddy Kong.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
64 Falcon was something else, I know 64 is sort of its own thing at this point when compared to other Smash games due to things such as the high hitstun, no Side B, lacking types of techs and etc but Falcon in 64 looks, sounds and plays pretty much nothing like he does in later games. I still like him the best of the 64 roster, but going from 64 Falcon to Melee Falcon was just.. it was wild.

Combew

Smash Rookie
I started with brawl so yeahhh

Brawl- :mario2::toonlink:
If i remember all the way back to Brawl, the first main that comes up is Mario. At the time I just thought that I would play the basic starter character, and if i got really good at the basic character, it would "look cool". Toon Link was because I chose random and got toon link, then bodied my friend who complained that I never played toon link before.

Sm4sh-:4feroy::4mario::4sheik:
Around when I played Sm4sh the most I started to get into fire emblem heroes and the original fire emblem, especially the gba ones which included the game where Roy came from. I also thought of his crazy 60% kills with fsmash insane and how he was actually pretty good. Mario came from my Brawl days, and he had nice combo potential (this what when I established my interest in combos and things like that). This lead to picking up Sheik because she had a pretty nice combo game. I also started playing a lot of other characters (like Rosalina cuz imo top tier waifu) and that's how I got so familiar with the movesets of all the characters.

Ultimate-:ultrosalina::ultroy::ultdoc:
Rosalina came from my sorta weebness (cuz shes a top tier waifu), and I loved replaying super mario galaxy over and over again. Roy excited me so much when I heard he was high tier and still had combos in a combo lacking game. Finally Dr Mario sorta came from Mario, and I wanted to try someone new, and Dr mario was new enough for me (also one of the characters I dabbled with in Sm4sh)

Last edited:

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
Didn’t really play 64 so I will start with Melee.

Melee: :pikachumelee::kirbymelee:

I was around 5 or 6 when I started playing Smash for the first time, so I played as the characters that I recognized and liked the most. I have always been a Kirby fan and I still am. I was a big Pikachu fan back in the day, but not so much anymore. As far as picking strong fighters, I clearly was not wise about my picks as a child. Pikachu is pretty solid but Kirby? Nope. After I learned more about Melee and picked it up again, I stuck with Pikachu, but I picked up a new main: :peachmelee:. Her floating ability is just so much fun and I just love the feeling of kicking people’s butts with a girly girl.

Brawl: :pikachu2::kirby2:

I stuck with them in the entirety of Brawl. I didn’t care about who was top tier, I didn’t care about many of the newcomers aside from Ike and Meta Knight. I just wanted to have fun kicking butt with the two most adorable characters in the roster. However, before Smash 4 came out, I started playing as all of the characters, some more than others. In particular, I liked :yoshi2::toonlink::zerosuitsamus::samus2::zelda::ness2::falcon::warioc::sonic::wolf:. By this point, I was going through a character crisis because I never thought about playing seriously. Smash 4 is a different story.

Smash 4: I went from :kirby2::pikachu2:to what I like to call my trio of misfits (characters that not many people used in Smash 4, but I picked up because I liked them.): :4pacman::4yoshi::4palutena: my secondaries were::4zss::4kirby::4corrinf:.

I actually really liked to play as many characters in Smash 4, but there were no characters that I had more fun using than Pac-Man, Yoshi, and Palutena.

Pac-Man has one of the most interesting and unique designs of any character of any fighting game I have ever seen, and style is just very fun. He had one of the craziest combo games in Smash 4 and he has THE coolest final smash in my opinion. There is no character that I had more fun playing around with than Pac-Man.

Yoshi has always been one of my favorite characters outside of Smash, but I never really got into him that much in Smash until 4. Everything about this character just feels good. His specials, his movement, his aerials, and his meteor smash. I had at least one problem with every other character in the game, but Yoshi fitted my play style to a tee. I actually got so strong with him, he became my true main that I bring out to serious battles. Even after he fell down on the tier list, I never gave up on him.

As for Palutena, I actually had no desire to play as her at all, because of how bad I heard she was in this game. However, on launch day, I decided to do a random battle before taking a break and the fighter I got was the Goddess of Light herself. Ever since then, she has not only stuck with me, but as the years go by, I played as her more and more often, beating out ZSS and Kirby as my secondary. I just loved everything about her. Her customs were awesome, her Up Smash is beautiful, her personality is great, her aerials are great, and she is very unique in that she is one of the few characters in Smash that uses magic. I didn’t start using her seriously until a few years later, and I surprised myself by how much butt I kicked with her. I actually made a pro player ask me how I make her look so good when she was considered to be one of the worst characters in the game. Screw the tier list, Palutena is awesome!

Corrin deserves a special mention because when I started playing Smash again, I used her plenty. She almost became a secondary for Yoshi until I got right back into Pac-Man and Palutena. She is still a pretty cool character.

Smash Ultimate: :ultyoshi::ultpalutena: with my secondaries being
:ultpacman::ultsimon::ultinkling::ultwiifittrainer::ultcorrinf::ultsnake: as of now.

I am kind of going through a secondary crisis in Ultimate. Again, I pick plenty of characters and I have Yoshi and Palutena as my co-mains, but I can’t figure out who I want my secondaries to be. I loved using Simon at first, but I feel like I get worse with him everyday. I feel that each day I am slowly going back to Pac-Man, so I am thinking about dropping Simon in favor of Pac-Man. This can change overtime, but this is where I stand in Ultimate as far as mains and secondaries go. I’ll update or make a new post if anything changes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have yet to own a Switch and Ultimate, but here is my history with choosing my mains:

• Super Smash Bros. - While :kirby64: clicked with me the most but I could not consider anyone here my main.
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee - This is where I finally found my main in my girl :peachmelee:. Ever since I picked up Melee in late 2005 her execution-intensive style was what got me playing her. Now I am a loyalist to her, now and forever.
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl - The newcomers looked tempting but :peach: is still my only main.
  • Super Smash Bros. 4 - :rosalina: and :4bayonetta2: became my girls once I owned their amiibo and saw how oppressive they were. And yes, :4peach: is still my girl here.
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Once again my girls :ultpeach::ultrosalina::ultbayonetta1:, but also :ultdaisy:. Although the newcomers :ultisabelle::ultinkling::ultpiranha: interest me.

But yeah...as y'all can see, I am something of a loyalist despite newcomers looking promising to me.

Sayonara:kirby:

Last edited by a moderator:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Melee: First Smash game, I think? Immediately went for Ganondorf because I was and still am an edgelord that just wanted to play villains. Also played Bowser and Mewtwo for this reason... and eventually picked up some Peach because a friend of mine found her turnips and survivability infuriating.

Brawl: Knew it wasn't going to be competitive from the moment I picked it up. The gang continued playing Melee. On the very rare occasion the gang opted for Brawl, nothing changed. Still Dorf, Bowser, and Peach.

Wii U: Still Dorf, still Peach. I stopped playing Bowser as much because his big goofy movements didn't feel badass and monstrous anymore, which no, isn't his canonical representation, but it was cool. I started playing at a (very low) competitive level during this game and picked up some Mario as a third. Played the hell out of custom builds with all sorts of characters.

Ultimate: Still Dorf. Haven't looked back. With the addition of a less unsportsmanlike Peach (Daisy), I've migrated to her, and more recently have started jiving with Inkling, so those have become my top 3. I'm still a decent Mario but he's kind of fallen wayside. Dedede's a ton of fun to troll with--which I did with him in 4 as well, but now the game has bearable online, so I can share his shenanigans with the whole world.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Smash 64 - Introduction to Smash and Nintendo
Only played it at a friend's house for one night but it was kinda important. I only had a NES and Sega consoles at the time so I didn't know 1st party Nintendo all that well. So I only knew :mario64:Mario, :luigi64:Luigi, :kirby64:Kirby, :pikachu64:Pikachu and :jigglypuff64: Jigglypuff at the time when it came to playable characters. However there were 3 characters that got me interested in playing smash and Nintendo in general. :link64: Link I loved because Zelda 1 + Zelda 3, and Kirby's Adventure (because of the Meta Knight fight) made me fall in love with swords. So seeing Link, I had to play him a bit. Funnily enough I didn't know that this Link was from the Zelda series because he doesn't look like the 2D game versions of Link. :samus64:Samus just looked badass with her suit and charge shot. :fox64: Fox just looked so cool in general, and I loved his lasers and he was the one that made me go "I have to know more!"

Melee - The newbie days
First character I wanted to main right away was :foxmelee:Fox because he was so fast and was so cool. However I figured he was a bit too hard to learn with at first because his range was a bit short. Later on I would end up not using Fox becaue he wasn't as safe to deal with perfect blocks and longer range of Level 9 CPUs. So I went with another character I loved :linkmelee: Link and Link became one of my mains in Smash Melee because his hits were so strong, easy and safe to land on CPU opponents due to his long range. :samusmelee: Samus however I hated right away because I hated how someone based around shooting kept punching and kicking all the time, and I didn't understand how to use her. So I didn't play her as much as I wanted. :sheikmelee: Sheik suffered the same problem, I love ninjas but Sheik's awkward style made it hard for me to want to play her. At some point I unlocked :marthmelee:Marth and like most people, I didn't know who he was. However, I loved his sword+cape, and his gameplay style felt perfect. I loved Marth because his range was so long and fast, I could play safely even if the CPUs were perfect blocking me all the time, which they often do at level 9. For the longest time I couldnt decide whether :marthmelee: Marth or :linkmelee:Link was my main but in the end I considered Marth to be my main in Melee because he's just easier to KO CPUs with. I did like :roymelee: Roy more than Marth because of his Neutral B and flaming sword, but the way his sword worked just made him feel so weak in Melee. After completing everything in Melee, my main type of match was :linkmelee:Link + :younglinkmelee:Young Link vs :marthmelee:Marth + :roymelee:Roy and sometimes I'd swap up who I was. I was just a sucker for hearing swords clash because I loved that sound effect so much and swords were cool in general. I ended up having at least 2000 matches doing this. I didn't really have much time against other players, and if it was then it'd be 3v1 and I'd still usually win. The only close match I had was a friend who played :mariomelee:Mario. Close matches every time, but whoever played :marthmelee:Marth would always win because of disadvantage, and even if he didn't use Marth ever, he's easier to pickup compared to Mario. However this gave me a taste of how fun competitive smash can be. However not enough to make me look into it just yet.

I should probably mention that I wanted :mewtwomelee: Mewtwo to be my main so hard when I first heard about Mewtwo because after watching the first movie I fell in love with the character because of the idea of being so smart that you can blow stuff up with your mind was just so awesome to me. However when I played Mewtwo in Melee, he was (and still is) my worst character in Melee (even worse than characters I never play). So because of that I never loved a character for being super overpowered ever again and learned to love them for other reasons. Took me a while to love Mewtwo again as a character, but I did eventually once I looked more into his character, and especially seeing the cut content for the american audience that explains his backstory a bit more.

Note: I almost never used grabs or tilts because when fighting CPUs it was usually more trouble than it's worth to do that when you play Marth/Link since their smashes and tilts are very similar when compared to other characters. Heck I didn't even use Link's Projectiles much because the damage felt too minimal, especially since CPUs can perfect shield to reflect the projectile back at me. So I had a lot of bad habbits from playing Melee CPUs.

Brawl - Short lived experience
I got Brawl 1 week after the online service closed so I was so sad when I couldn't play Smash online. I played Brawl until I 100% everything. Including getting that annoying Meta Ridley trophy. I had a short time where I was trying to get competitive with Brawl because I wanted to look up some footage of Link fighting. I found Izaw's videos, and I thought his Link vs Calzorz's Snake were such awesome matches that I wanted to get competitive to do awesome things. So I tried doing new things, and with Level 9 CPUs actually fighting better and not relying on perfect blocks to be hard made it much easier to learn how to fight. I actually started sidestepping and there were reasons to do so, whereas I never did any of this stuff against real players. Now since I played Brawl so late and wasted time 100%ing a file, Sm4sh was announced so while I love the heck out of :metaknight: Meta Knight, I figured I'd wait until Sm4sh to play him in case he was changed, which he was drastically. So I turned my efforts towards other characters that I probably wouldn't play as much. :snake:Snake because I figured he wouldn't come back. I had a blast with him (many blasts), but he always felt a bit clunky, and I've never been afraid of his grenades, or knew how to use them. Still even to this day in Ultimate, I never have a problem dealing with Snake's grenades, and sometimes I'll just randomly punish snake players for focusing too hard on their grenade play. However Snake did help me learn to use tilts more often, but not to the extent that :4samus:Sm4sh Samus would. :lucario:Lucario is that character I always wanted to play since I fell in love with him because of his movie, but in Brawl I just never played him because I never was "in the mood" to play him, which was really bizarre because I love the character so much, and I love playing him in Ultimate. So the character I played the most with in Brawl was :wolf:Wolf since since I wanted to get good at knowing the differences between :fox::falco::wolf: Fox, Falco, and Wolf since Fox felt amazing to play in Melee. I did play a lot with Fox as well though because I loved the Fox vs Wolf matchup no matter which side I was on. However playing against random CPU, :sheik:Sheik popped up and made me realize how big of a difference some matchups can make since while Fox does well against most characters, Sheik is a hard counter to Fox by comparison and I couldnt figure out how to deal with Sheik. Now years later after playing :4metaknight:Meta Knight in Sm4sh, it feels like I'm cheating when I play :metaknight: Meta Knight in Brawl because he's so easy to use in Brawl compared to Sm4sh. Oh also I stopped playing :marth:Marth in Brawl because his range was slightly nerfed, so constantly whiffing because of that threw me off so hard that I stopped playing the character, especially since he's not the longest range character in the game anymore.

Sm4sh Wii U - Getting competitive, and finally fighting human players
For a long time :4link: Link and :4samus:Samus were my 2 Mains that I could rely on, Link slightly more so. If I lost with one, I could beat that same player by swapping to the other. However I was trying out other characters to see if I could want to main them. :4charizard: Similar to swords, I'm a sucker for dragons, and Charizard felt very good for a long time. However, the lack of combos with Charizard made him feel boring after a few hundred matches so I stopped playing him, despite always kicking people's butts with him. :4cloud2:Cloud is the exact same way but even more extreme as Cloud was the easiest character I've ever played with in Smash, but at least Cloud has combos to keep things more interesting. However I just didn't feel like I had much to improve on with Cloud so I went to learn other characters before going back to Cloud..... Then I never went back to Cloud because I didn't want to play him anymore.:4robinm:I had high hopes for Robin, but his slow speed and underwhelming projectile play (compared to Link) made it so I didn't use him. The Mii Fighters looked like they could have been a main because of their awesome gameplay, but not being able to use them in For Glory made it so I didn't even get the chance (just make the faces default if inappropriate faces are a problem!) since I didn't want to force my friends to fight Miis all the time because it would be the only time I get to use them against a human. :4lucario: Towards the end of Sm4sh I forced myself to use Lucario because I wanted to make sure I knew how to play him because I realized I was never "in the mood" to play him. He may not have as many matches as some other characters but he is one of the characters I would play if I went back to Sm4sh because he feels perfect and fluid when you get in the zone. Also because his aura mechanic makes things incredibly tense for both players when he gets higher %. :4ganondorf:Ganondorf and :4myfriends:Ike were both characters I played a lot of because due to their simplicity and slow speed, I had to pay close attention to other players. So while they might not be a main, they were characters I would pick if I lost my focus and needed to ease my way back into a competitive mindset. However, sometimes people would just start playing worse if I beat them with Ganondorf. :4metaknight: Now Meta Knight is an interesting case. For the longest time he was my worst character out of the whole roster, very similar to :mewtwomelee:Mewtwo. However, since I love the character so much and didn't care about his power so much, I was able to muscle through and get better with Meta Knight. Why do I have such motivation to keep playing him? It's because Meta Knight was the one who introduced me to the concept of a duel in Kirby's Adventure and is one of the big reasons why I try to improve myself in life, which goes along very well with fighting games. After seeing him doing so many cool tricks in the fight, then revealing that he was also a Kirby, it made me go "Wait, I CAN BE THAT AWESOME WITH ENOUGH TRAINING TOO!?!?". However with that said though, I didn't start to be truly amazing with Meta Knight until I started my 100 matches with every character challenge so I could learn the whole roster decently well. :4sheik:Sheik being among the first in line (because ninjas are cool). Sheik felt so amazing to play and I loved her so much because I learned from :4samus:Samus that a character that might have felt weird and awkward before sometimes just needs a bit more time with them in order to feel so perfect. So it took about 50 matches with Sheik to get to that point and then I decided to go back to Meta Knight for a bit and I was wrecking people really well and he was my best character. However, I deci after doing 100 matches with :4zelda:Zelda (Niece loves this character, I liked it, wanted to know more to give better advice), :4corrin:Corrin (was clueless about this character), :4pikachu:Pikachu (because I knew a Pikachu main friend. wanted to understand his character so I could give better advice), I would then try to go back to Meta Knight and he was my worst again. Which really took a toll on me, and made me wonder why should I bother practicing with any character if I'm just going to be terrible with them again later? So feeling bad because of that, and other games I've been wanting to play for a long time piling up, I stopped playing Sm4sh for a while. Until the announcement of Smash Ultimate where I would play some more Meta Knight matches trying to get good with him because I figured he would get buffed in Ultimate slightly. Also it's fun fighting my Pikachu Main friend.

SmUsh - Life intervenes, but a promising future
Between working 50 hours, and doing chores, it's hard to find the time to get sleep AND play smash. So I basically was cutting into sleep just to play Smash. So lately I've been taking a break from SmUsh to focus on life, and hopefully sometime I can return to playing SmUsh competitively along with playing other new games. So it's been difficult to decide on a main because of that, since sometimes I'll just play the game and not even try due to exhaustion. With that said though, the first couple weeks I did pretty well and had some really awesome competitive matches and my :ultmetaknight:Meta Knight was wrecking people. Meta Knight also feels good because it feels as if he has more options to do things in this game. Also I love using his side+B to KO people off the stage to style on people now since it can KO people and recover back to stage if you do it right. Also I was learning how to play :ultlucario:Lucario so well that he felt so fluid and perfect to play, especially since he's so much faster in this game. Only problem though is that they changed his Up+B in SmUsh, I never had a problem in Sm4sh, but in SmUsh if you change your direction when starting, it will constantly change direction instead of only changing direction when you want to like in Sm4sh. Which often leads to many SDs which can be very discouraging for me and the opponent I fight. I had to try out :ultridley:Ridley, and while he feels a bit awkward at times, he feels so amazing to play and often feels like a bigger :ultmetaknight: Meta Knight, with some influence from :4ganondorf: Sm4sh Ganondorf. As for Ridley's character, he has a similar recurring smaller (in Ridley's case, compared to other Metroid bosses) speedy rival thing that I loved about Meta Knight. Now Ridley does have a character that makes me want to keep playing him, but not to the extent of Meta Knight, despite having things in common. Like being a recurring smaller (in Ridley's case compared to other Metroid bosses), rival that challenges you throughout the games and is usually the toughest fight in the game despite not being the final boss. Also I love his vicious way of attacking stuff, yet he's protrayed as actually being very intelligent (which Meta Knight can also be like). Ridley just needs to have some sort of strong memory to bring him up to the level of Lucario and Meta Knight when it comes to being a main. He's still going to be played a lot though. I loved :ultwolf:Wolf in Brawl, so I had to play him in Ultimate. While he feels very different now, he feels amazing. I loved the hell out of Wolf's Anti-hero role in Star Fox Assault, so like Ridley, he just needs something special to happen to make me play him no matter what because he has all the other ingredients to make me want to main him. Motivation is very important to being able to stick with a character, I can't do that if I hate the character or it's gameplay. In Brawl I didn't have time to test out :rob:R.O.B. much, in Sm4sh :4rob:R.O.B. felt helpless to get out of combos and turned me off to the character, but in SmUsh :ultrob:R.O.B. feels just so perfect because I feel like there's always something new I can do in every match I play with R.O.B.. Now I love R.O.B. despite him being a useless accessory because I had some childhood memories of having him sit next to me, and loving the movie Short Circuit. So, while it's not a "I must play this character no matter what" like with Meta Knight or Lucario, it was enough to get past the initial barrier to playing R.O.B. and now he's one of the more fun characters to play, and I usually win whenever I bring R.O.B. out, even if I'm exhausted.

The Belmonts were the only characters I was considering to pick up as a main/secondary outside of Ridley. However after playing with them for a while, they just feel like a more extreme version of the Links. While I usually like having the extremes of stuff in games, Links are an exception because I like them because they can be very adaptable. The Belmonts feel a bit too gimmicky by comparison. With that said though, Joker has a very good chance to become a main for me based on his looks and style. Even if I haven't played Persona 5 (which I do want to play at some point.) Kinda similar to Cloud in that way. However, I'll just have to see how he plays to know whether or not that ends up happening.

As for other characters I'm currently testing out. :ultinkling:Inkling I tried out because of a Splatoon Discord I'm in (I was shocked to fall in love with the Splatoon game). Projectiles + Speed sounded like a winning combination so I had to try them out. My first impressions of them were pretty bad because I didn't understand them, but picking them back up the past couple days and they feel amazing to play since I've seen good players play with them. :ultmewtwo: Mewtwo is a character I plan on picking back up because I still love Mewtwo a lot, but now I'm feeling experimental so I feel that I'm ready to try to learn Mewtwo again (hence why I was able to pick up R.O.B. finally, hopefully the same can happen for Mewtwo). Mewtwo has always felt weird, but I feel he's a character that while he's hard to get used to at first, I could probably fall in love with his moveset in time... even if I find it stupid that he has a lot of moves where he hits people with his body despite being a psychic type (same problem with Samus). :ultpichu:Now because I absolutely loved playing Pikachu in :4pikachu: Sm4sh (especially with my Pikachu main friend), and feeling overwhelming joy in the few matches that I did play with :pichumelee: Pichu in Melee, and Pichu's name sounding very close to my username, I feel like like it's mandatory that I play Pichu at least a little bit. Also with the announcement of Squad Strike I was so hyped to have Pichu and Ridley in my Squad because I absolutely love the heck out of stuff with Pichu and Ridley together. Pichu in Smash is just an anomaly for me because it's one of the few things in life where it rides that line where if it were any cuter, I would despise it like Jigglypuff or something. However, since it just barely stays under, I feel overwhelming joy whenever playing Pichu. :ultisabelle:Isabelle is kinda like this too, but Pichu's gameplay feels so much more natural because I've played with Pikachu a bit and I love the speed, tiny size and glass cannon nature of Pichu. Whereas Isabelle feels a bit too slow and floaty, and I just don't understand how to use her or Villager yet. Maybe someday I'll use Isabelle because I do love projectiles and traps. :ultsheik:Sheik still feels amazing to play in Smash Ultimate and whenever I bring Sheik out, people say they love the fight. So even if KOing with her can be a bit annoying at times, I still love her so much. :ultgreninja:Greninja is also a Ninja like sheik so while he felt clunky in Sm4sh I'm feeling experimental so I might try him out. Not sure if he'll replace Sheik or not but it's a thing that could happen even if unlikely. Only thing I worry about is that I don't care much about Sheik as a character, since she's just a stereotypical ninja. Not really to make me latch onto Sheik as a character to make me play her no matter what the cost is like :ultmetaknight:Meta Knight, :ultlucario:Lucario and such. Sheik and Marth are two examples of characters that have "perfect" gameplay, but may not have the best motivation to play them because their characters are a bit shallow (and after researching Marth I hate Marth as a character so thats why I haven't tried to overcome my whiffs with Marth).

Now speaking of Marth and his clones, they all feel good to play. :ultmarth:Marth I've decided to never play unless I'm playing Melee (also because I hate his character), :ultchrom:Chrom is boring as a character and has a recovery I don't want to deal with. However, :ultlucina:Lucina I sometimes think about playing because being from a doomed timeline and having a cool mask gets some points from me. Her gameplay is solid, however I still debate with myself whether or not I like her sword as it's double edged. On one side, since it has not sour/sweet spot, it's simplistic so she'll be theoretically easier to pick up, however on the other side it might turn into a Charizard/Cloud situation where I will get bored with her due to her being too simple to change things up. :ultroy:Now after seeing many matches of the 4 Marth characters, Roy is easily the most fun to watch. There's just something about the way people move with Roy that makes him interesting. Also since Melee, I've always had this "I'll show you" mentality about people saying Roy is terrible since I love showing people how some underrated thing can actually be viable. Which has led me to become a better player overall due to trying new/rare gameplay styles and such. In Ultimate he actually feels viable too. I feel his sour spot+sweet spots being the way they are could make him very interesting to play, and he's pretty fast so he feels good as well. Too bad his character is a bit boring glancing at the fire emblem wiki, but at least his portrayal in Smash makes him seem cool and that's I really need right?

:ultdarkpit: Upon thinking of reasons why I love playing characters in Smash, multiple jumps is one of the things that's up there. Outside of Meta Knight and Ridley I don't much care for the other multi jumpers. :ultjigglypuff:Jigglypuff is a bit too basic and I dislike the character(even if the gameplay is fun), :ultkirby:Kirby I have considered a few times but ultimately there's just not enough interesting things to make me want to play Kirby, :ultkingdedede: King D3 is fun and easy to do well with but I could never play him seriously because of his character will make me want to screw around too much, and :ultcharizard:Charizard is too basic. Overall the pits are very good, but I just worry they might be a bit too slow, and don't have enough interesting things going on with them, and they might not have good combos (I haven't seen any good pits yet so I don't know their combo game) and I haven't played their game so it'll be harder to get motivation to play them. At least they got a good projectile, reflector and fun moves overall. The pits are basically just a character that should be fun in theory, just don't have the love of the characters to drive me into playing them yet.

So in short, my current Mains/Secondaries at this Moment -
:ultlucario: Lucario and :ultmetaknight: Meta Knight are dueling it out to be my main right now because I love their gameplay, appearance, and the history I have with those characters.

:ultridley:Ridley, :ultwolf:Wolf, and :ultrob:R.O.B. all are very solid characters that just need a bit more experience and they might just become a main.

:ultmewtwo: Mewtwo, :ultpichu: Pichu, :ultinklingboy: Inkling, :ultsheik: Sheik, :ultroy: Roy, :ultdarkpit: Dark Pit are all in training currently to find out if they got the stuff to become a main/secondary.

:ultike:Ike, :ultlink::ultyounglink:Links, :ultdarksamus:Dark Samus I am all good with, but I do not have any plans right now to try to improve upon them because it would all be ultra specific stuff, and I feel this time would be better spent knowing for sure who exactly I feel is worth the time to play and get better with since I already do so well with them. Also, I don't have the motivation from loving the characters like I do with Ridley, Wolf, and ROB.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Melee - The start of my journey with the franchise was Melee but I never actually owned the game. My only real experience with the game was when it was being showcased in stores and I briefly got to play as :yoshimelee: and I've loved the character since! What I found so appealing was using egg lay on opponents and sending them off the ledge to their death (if they didn't know how to get out). If I'm ever playing Melee with friends or such he's definitely the character I'll pick.

Brawl - Brawl was the first Smash game I owned and the one I've played most so far and :pit: was the clear choice for me. I loved his look/theme and he felt great to use, fitting my overall style while being a very balanced character which I tend to be drawn towards. Though, I only ever played Brawl casually.
The reason I put :squirtle: for Project M is because I played it with friends a couple times and greatly enjoyed the character while not liking the changes to :pit:

Smash 4 - Unfortunately, I didn't get to play this game as much as Brawl but instead watched a lot of tournament videos on it while occasionally visiting friends and playing the game together. One of the main things I disliked about :4pit: transitioning into this game from Brawl is it felt he had lost some of his kill power, especially with the complete change of his Fair (forward air). After a while I instead started using :4darkpit: because I liked the fact he could KO reasonably early on the sides of maps due to his Side Special Electroshock which I prefer over :4pit:. I also like doing extra damage with Dark Pit's arrows even if it means less control. However, late into Smash4's lifetime I feel like the Pits moves come out a little too slow and somewhat still lack the power to finish others off so I started using :4yoshi: once again which reignited my enjoyment of the character in this fighting franchise.

Ultimate - As of right now I've only been able to play this game with friends here and there (hopefully that'll change soon) so I've been slow to picking a main and am currently deciding between :ultdarkpit:&:ultyoshi: as both of these characters have gotten quite a few buffs! :ultdarkpit: feels much smoother to play and now has reasonable KO power to ALL of his aerials now which is what I was needing of the character! Even his arrow got great buffs to its damage, speed, and KO power, making it a move worth using over normal Pit's arrows. :ultyoshi: however has also gotten amazing buffs and is the strongest he's ever been too! I can be much more aggressive with the character than the Pits and all his specials are so much fun to use!

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
Smash 64 - Mostly Link and Fox. But i don’t remember referring to them as my Main.

Melee - Falco all the way because of his jump height and the dair.

Brawl - I had no real Main here because Falco sucks in brawl.

Smash 4 - Quajitsu and Captain Falcon because i liked fast rush down characters.

Ultimate - Discovered Link. Hes my main since the release. Thinking about picking up Fox as a secondary.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
64- started with Mario, he felt just right and he got me interested in the series. I also used Luigi and Fox pretty often here as well.

Melee- didn't have a true main but I used Peach, Falco and Doctor Mario though later on I got into using Jigglypuff a lot in Melee when I saw how dangerous she was.

Brawl- around that time I was really hooked on the Dkc SNES trilogy so I want to give Diddy a chance and I loved using him since then, he's an absolute blast to play as in my opinion. I also used Wolf and Luigi during Brawl days as well.

Smash 4- unexpectedly I ended up getting hooked on using Villager in 4, seeing someone like her destroying opponents always cracked me up. I also kept on using Diddy even though for a short time he was overpowered and Jigglypuff even though she was underpowered.

Ultimate- Diddy ended up being most used currently, despite being nerfed he still feels really fun to use and since K.Rool joined in and I love doing matches between the Dk cast (though there's someone missing but I'll live) I also continued to use Villager and Jigglypuff as well along with Isabelle and Wendy.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
My first game was Melee at my friend's house. Then it was Brawl at another friends house. Then I finally got Brawl at my house, but by then Smash 4 was already on its way. I got Smash 4 a few years ago and Ultimate on the release date.

In Melee I mainly used :kirbymelee:.

In Brawl I used :metaknight::dedede::toonlink::pikachu2::kirby2::lucas::yoshi2::gw::pit::luigi2::ness2:. Not many of these fighters I used carried over in Smash 4.

In Smash 4 I used :4bowser::4cloud::4corrinf::4dedede::4ganondorf::4kirby::4jigglypuff::4lucina::4luigi::4mario::4marth::4metaknight::4palutena::4peach::4robinf::rosalina::4feroy::4zelda::4zss:

Now in Ultimate I'm trying out :ultbowser::ultcloud::ultcorrinf::ultganondorf::ultike::ultincineroar::ultinklingboy::ultkingdedede::ultkrool::ultkirby::ultlink::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmetaknight::ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultpiranha::ultridley::ultrobinf::ultroy::ultchrom::ultwolf::ultzelda::ultzss:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
64 - Well, I was a kid, I didn’t really have anyone playing the game seriously to fight against, so... :pikachu64: was my favorite Pokémon at the time and Thunder was easy to spam, so he was my only main. I felt so proud about becoming good at using Thunder while moving to the side so that it wouldn’t slow me down, ahaha.

Melee/Brawl - I’m lumping these together since I couldn’t play either of them until I was 13, so I got them both in relatively quick succession. I still sucked and Pikachu was still my favorite Pokémon, so :pikachumelee::pikachu2: still plus some :kirbymelee:/whatever Final Smash spam or whatever.

Smash Flash 2 0.8 - Yes, I’m totally counting this; it’s a pretty significant part of my Smash life. I tried Tails a bit, but settled into playing as Kirby. This was around when I started legitimately practicing to become good.

Brawl again and also PM - After playing some Kirby in SSF2 and actually improving at Smash in general, I started playing Kirby more. It was still really mainly just for matches against the AIs or whatever, but it was good practice still and I now liked Kirby much more than I did Pikachu.

Smash Flash 2 0.9b - Yes, I’m also counting major patches to SSF2 as separate games. Now that there was online, Instarted to kick people’s butts to some degree, but also later ended up maining Wario despite him being the worst character in the game at that time. Like, he was bad for sure, but the things he had that were good were just so fun to abuse ahaha.

Smash 4 - Pretty early into playing Smash for 3DS I tried playing Kirby again but quickly determined that his range was too pitiful, so I switched to a character that I had sorta considered before but never really played much, ROB :4rob:. I liked his zoney playstyle a lot, so he became my main for the rest of Smash 4.

Smash Flash 2 Beta - Now, Wario got a major redesign, but I felt it was much less fun to play has him after that, so I switched to one of my secondaries, Chibi-Robo as my main. My secondaries are Kirby and Bandana Waddle Dee, although I eventually picked Wario back up as a secondary too after some buffs made him more fun to play as again.

Smash Ultimate - I’ve dabbled in Mii Swordfighter a bit, mainly though :ultrob: as my main has persisted from Smash 4.

Last edited:
Top Bottom