• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your reactions?

Chrollo.

fka president wario
I screamed “RIDLEY! OH MY GOD ITS RIDLEY” at least 3 times

StormC

Smash Hero
I had class at 10 AM (PST). I sat in my car at 9 AM watching the stream. I freaked out and screamed during the whole Ridley trailer (while trying to maintain breathing during the cutscene because it might be a fakeout or something). When it was done and they started showing Ridley in Treehouse, I got out of my car and jumped while screaming.

I might have been 15-20 minutes late to class.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I was pleased

Until you see Ridley in Space by himself during his Final Smash, you don't realize that he's perfectly sized.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I smiled the second the trailer started because I knew who it was going to be

I was like, "LOL, they really did it"

Crainy

Smash Apprentice
I literally screamed at the top of my lungs when he appeared on screen. Ive been waiting for this moment for like 13 years or something. The rest of the day I was more hyped that I had been in a long time, it really is a dream of mine come true. Ridley is one of my favorite characters in all of fiction and his reveal really had an impact on me, to the point where I was even able to evaluate my current predicaments in life in an ever so slightly different light.

Last edited:

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
I received a noise complaint for the first time ever. That sums up how excited I was.

IronTed

Smash Ace
I was super tense, and when I first caught a glimpse of him I started screaming. Good thing I was home alone, I was screaming out of sheer joy for minutes.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I've been having serious medical issues lately. To make a long story short, I'm living in fear every day. Of course there's depression. I'm not the same energetic person I used to be.

Seeing Sakurai onscreen by itself is enough to get a smasher hyped, but I simply was not prepared for what he had to share with us. I was afraid of cuts hardcore, as we've come to expect, and of course I was afraid for my Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy. But as they casually revealed Ice Climbers, something I expected, I was like "okay that was definitely a given but still awesome", and then they continuously just showed more and more of the characters. It happened so quickly and the mental processing just wasn't possible. Then Snake appeared, and "Everyone is here!", and I absolutely lost my ****. I was knelt over on the floor bawling like a man dissolved into a child. I'm not ashamed to admit it. SSB is has been a huge part of my life since I was 6 years old on the N64 and the growth of this series has been a subject of feverish debate from fond recess memories in elementary school, clear up through high-school, and now into my adulthood. My two sons, 7 and 4, are just as in love with this series as I am. Characters that I wanted but could never realistically expect, like Young Link and Pichu, are back? Seeing them onscreen just hit me right in the heart man. It's still too much to process.

But Ridley? Just the mere sight of Ceres Station was too much. I flew out of my seat and hit the wall behind me, sweating. The fact that this character, after so many years of repeated defeat and scorn from the naysayers, after having your spirits crushed repeatedly and losing all hope... the fact that he is now here is just so unreal. It's rekindled a flame that I thought could never return. As if all returning veterans wasn't enough. I've never been so hyped for a video game in my whole life. Never. And I get to enjoy this game with my two dear sons.

I highly doubt any reveal for any video game will get as much of a rise out of me as this one did. This was the peak. Sakurai has done it.

D

Deleted member

SCREAM.

JUST ****ING SCREAMED.

Fortunetaely my mother was not at home and my sister didn't wake up so i dind't get in any trouble.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Forgive my crappy camera phone. It starts with the opening of the Smash reveal but then goes straight to the end for the Ridley reveal. Laugh all you want at my crying but I got what I wanted after so so long.

Also I was on my way to the tournament so I had to dress to impress!

D

Deleted member

Long time coming, always was needed Ridley is where he belongs in Super Smash Bros.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
I was in a Discord call with my buddy at the time. I had a bit of a migraine, but I fought through it to watch the reveals. Fast forward to Smash and all the fanfare that came with that. I was surprised Sakurai was still part of its development since I heard he had health problems in Smash 4's

Anyways I was kind of disappointed when Sakurai said there wouldn't be many newcomers. Alright, fine, Smash 4 didn't have that many newcomers on the base game.

It was at this point the reveal trailer played. I told my buddy to shut up as I sank in the sights. I quietly whispered, "Holy hell..."

And then BAM! RIDLEY HITS THE BIG TIME!
What followed was a mix of me shouting,"Ridley!", "Holy hell!", and "Oh my God!" while my friend kept saying, "They can't just do this! They can't keep blowing our expectations!"

I razed Hell on all my other servers heralding the news, before eventually keeling over to lay down for awhile.

I later appreciated his new design, happy that it didn't look like Roidley, and came to grips accepting that he killed Megaman and Mario in cold blood.

Now, what does one do with their life after their #1 pick gets confirmed?

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
"About bloody time."

I was always of the thought that it wouldn't be IF they'd add Ridley, but WHEN. I'm glad he's here.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Calm as still water on the outside, but I was having a rave inside my head.

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO HAVE OUR SPACE PIRATE COMMANDER FINALLY PLAYABLE?!?!?! AFTER ALL THESE YEARS!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
my reaction... well, i almost didn't have one cause part of me wouldn't let me hope that reveal trailer was really for ridley.

after the trailer was almost over, it finally hit me... and i honestly broke down crying.

think i cried for most of, if not the whole day, and occasionally for a few days after.

Last edited:

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
I was in a call with two of my buddies, and we were already super hyped from what we had seen of SSBU. When I saw the setting and Samus, I had the sinking suspicion that it would be him, but I wasn't too sure... then I saw Megaman being impaled by that particular tail, and I was like, "RIDLEEEEEEEEEY!!!" and when he broke through the bridge and his splash screen popped up, I was going pretty crazy, haha. Ridley was a character that I always thought would be a pretty rad addition to Smash, but I had thought that Sakurai had deconfirmed him once and for all in Smash 4, so I didn't really push to support him. So seeing him get in despite that was super awesome, it was the perfect way to cap off all the hype from Smash Ultimate.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
'So they really did it huh? Impressive... wait why is Ridley so small?!'

Basically my reaction.

Laniv

Smash Champion
"Oh, a dark hallway? I wonder what--"

(Samus' footsteps)

"No. Nonono no way, this can't be, please don't be a troll..."

(Mega Man gets straight up impaled)

"Oooooooohhh, PLEASE!!"

(Ridley hits the Big Time!!)

Brinstar Bandit

Smash Rookie
I was anxious because I thought he was going to be deconfirmed. The moment after the new character reveal intro showed a futuristic area I was repeating "Oh my god" over and over in my head, and as soon as I saw Megaman getting stabbed with Ridley's tail I said "YES!" out loud.
This is going to be the best Smash game ever. His design looks perfect, his moveset is near perfect except he didn't get a pogo down air, I love everything about this game's depiction of Ridley.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I could not celebrate until I seen gameplay, could not believe it

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
My reaction to Ridley was actually not that different then to when Nintendo revealed Samus Returns last year...

*sees environment*

"Is this Ridley?"/"Is this Metroid"

*sees Samus's foot*/*sees Hornoad*

"OMG It's Ridley!"/"OMG It's Metroid"

*Ridley murders Megaman and Mario*/*A Metroid murders the Hornoad*

*starts freaking out*

pretty much ya...

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
A bit of background on me... I became interested in the Metroid series BECAUSE of Smash Bros. I didn't even know who Samus was at the time. My first Metroid games that I experienced were the Prime games, and while I did enjoy the gameplay I never ended up finishing them. Yes, I legit bought the sequels before finishing the previous games. I was very impatient when I was a kid, so the exploration aspect didn't really appeal to me. These days I'm very anxious to give it a second chance. I aim to play Super Metroid and the Prime Trilogy on Wii.

Despite my inability to finish the games I still had a deep appreciation for the series and it's Sci-Fi inspired setting. Smashbros was my main teacher, and I learned a lot about Metroid through my experiences with Smash. What stands out in particular to me is learning about Samus's arch nemesis, Ridley. He was just so awesome and intimidating, especially in Brawl. That scene with him, Samus, and Pikachu was one of the most badass things I had ever seen. Ever since then I've supported his inclusion, and was quite dissappointed that he didn't make it into Smash 4. And now... it finally happened. What a grand day it was.

Even though I love Ridley's character and design, there is no doubt that I don't have the history with him that so many others do, so even I was surprised by my reaction. How I wish I could've recorded it...

When Ridley started taking out Mega Man and Mario I literally started screaming:

HOLY F****** S***! HOLY F****** S***! HE MURDERED THEM! HE F****** MURDERED THEM! THE INTERNET IS BREAKING RIGHT NOW!

I seriously surprised myself... And here I was thinking there would be another third party reveal! I'm very pleased that it wasn't. THIS is probably the biggest reveal they could've had at this point, and I got to be a part of this historic moment. It's truly awe-inspiring.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
A bit of background on me... I became interested in the Metroid series BECAUSE of Smash Bros. I didn't even know who Samus was at the time. My first Metroid games that I experienced were the Prime games, and while I did enjoy the gameplay I never ended up finishing them. Yes, I legit bought the sequels before finishing the previous games. I was very impatient when I was a kid, so the exploration aspect didn't really appeal to me. These days I'm very anxious to give it a second chance. I aim to play Super Metroid and the Prime Trilogy on Wii.

Despite my inability to finish the games I still had a deep appreciation for the series and it's Sci-Fi inspired setting. Smashbros was my main teacher, and I learned a lot about Metroid through my experiences with Smash. What stands out in particular to me is learning about Samus's arch nemesis, Ridley. He was just so awesome and intimidating, especially in Brawl. That scene with him, Samus, and Pikachu was one of the most badass things I had ever seen. Ever since then I've supported his inclusion, and was quite dissappointed that he didn't make it into Smash 4. And now... it finally happened. What a grand day it was.

Even though I love Ridley's character and design, there is no doubt that I don't have the history with him that so many others do, so even I was surprised by my reaction. How I wish I could've recorded it...

When Ridley started taking out Mega Man and Mario I literally started screaming:

HOLY F****** S***! HOLY F****** S***! HE MURDERED THEM! HE F****** MURDERED THEM! THE INTERNET IS BREAKING RIGHT NOW!

I seriously surprised myself... And here I was thinking there would be another third party reveal! I'm very pleased that it wasn't. THIS is probably the biggest reveal they could've had at this point, and I got to be a part of this historic moment. It's truly awe-inspiring.
My history with Metroid starts off pretty similar to yours. First contact with anything Metroid related came from Melee, with this ''guy'' called ''Sawmus''. Didn't know a thing about ''him'', but ''he'' made an impression with ''his'' unique sound effects and action-packed sequence in the opening (Ridley didn't really leave an impact here yet).

Some time later during the Gamecube's lifespan, I got to watch a cousin play Metroid Prime, fighting against Meta Ridley and struggling mightily against his grounded phase's charging attacks, an intense experience. But I still didn't know the person being controlled was Samus until I saw the game's boxart. From the moment I owned my first console in the Gamecube and booted up Metroid Prime for the first time and was greeted by that powerful intro sequence, I was hooked on the series. Even at that young age, I remember noticing how angry Samus looked upon encountering Meta Ridley for the first time. He was a looming threat; I knew I'd have to fight him at some point from what I'd seen, but didn't know when. By the time I was able to make serious progress in the game, I had almost completely forgotten about him... until I returned those artifacts. That familiar screech rang, and suddenly it hit me that the place I was standing in was the very same I saw my cousin fighting in so long ago. I got nostalgia from a game I was playing for the first time, can you believe that?

I also played Fusion around the same time. While it didn't leave the same impact that Prime 1 did, it is notable for being the first Metroid I managed to finish. And since the Internet wasn't nearly as widespread or advanced as it was today, I was pretty surprised to see Samus was a woman... and a surprisingly cute one at that (I got the helmetless ending, but ZSS as whole had a more cute anime face in that game).

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Gee, way to be an ******* about it...
I honestly can't blame them considering the crap the Ridley fanbase has had to deal with all this time. I doubt there's been a character in all of Smash history that has been as polarizing. I also wonder if you're even aware of Shokio's original video where he talks about Ridley.

It's extremely conceited to say the least. He basically says it's impossible, and calls anyone that asks for Ridley to be resized a "fool".

It's one thing to just not want a character in the game, it's something else entirely to act like an insufferable know-it-all about it, tell people to stop asking for them, and insult the ones that continue to do so. Sorry, not sorry, but I will drink the tears of anyone like this.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I was standing at a bus stop in Geneva, Switzerland when I saw the reveal, streaming the Direct to my phone. I was streaming the Direct to my laptop in my hotel room, but the trip I was on was having its farewell dinner at the same time as the Direct (and unlike almost every other thing on the trip itinerary, this was the one event where we apparently were leaving earlier than scheduled). I was already running late and people were looking for me, so I had to leave, but I tried watching the rest on my phone.

As I was in a public location where people don't speak English, all I did was gasp when I saw Mega Man get murdered live on stream by Ridley. Next to the already amazing fact that there were no cuts and the lost characters from Melee and Brawl were coming back, it was the best reveal about the game. For Smash 4, the only character in its entire lifespan that I was excited for was Mega Man, kind of (I like Mega Man and have beaten some of the original games, but I'm not a huge fan like a lot of people). My main concern leading up to the game's release was that R.O.B. didn't get cut, and he didn't, but when your character hope is not so much for a new character than a character from the previous game returning, then there's not a lot to get hype about.

Metroid is one of my favorite franchises of all time, and I've wanted a new Metroid character for years (ZSS doesn't count). My favorite pick is Dark Samus, who I actually voted for in the ballot due to Ridley being shot down multiple times. There's some circumstantial evidence pointing to Dark Samus being a possible playable character, and if that happens, I'll go absolutely nuts. I've wanted her since before Brawl, and if it finally happens, in addition to Ridley, this will be one of my favorite games of all time. But I'd be happy with just Ridley, of course.

Especially since Ridley looks so perfect. His appearance and his moves are completely on point, and I can't wait to play him. He might dethrone R.O.B. as my main, but we'll have to see.

It's one thing to just not want a character in the game, it's something else entirely to act like an insufferable know-it-all about it, tell people to stop asking for them, and insult the ones that continue to do so. Sorry, not sorry, but I will drink the tears of anyone like this.
Like, there's a lot of characters I'd groan if I saw get revealed. A lot of people want Rex and Pyra from Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but I think their character designs are atrocious. And, despite Fire Emblem getting more fanservice than even more venerable Nintendo franchises like Donkey Kong and Metroid, there are people still asking for several more characters to be added. I also think the Waluigi push is pretty asinine, as most supporters just think it's funny for the meme, when people with an actual emotional attachment to the character are a small fraction of that.

But I'm not going to be insulting people or tell people who they should or shouldn't want. Like I said above, a lot of the characters revealed for Smash 4, pre and post launch, were ones I didn't care about. But for a lot of them, especially Cloud and Bayonetta, I was still excited, because I thought they were neat additions and I knew it made a lot of people happy, even if I never played the games.

Same thing if Geno, King K. Rool, Banjo Kazooie, Ashley, or others get announced. I never played any of those games and I have no emotional connection to those characters, but I know a lot of people do, so I'd be excited to see them be announced regardless. And even for the above characters that I wouldn't like for one reason or another, whatever, it's making someone's dream come true. Even if it'd be stupid to have a fourth Marth clone, some people really want Chrom.

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I don't even know how but immediately when the trailer started I knew it would be him. This is probably one of my favorite reveals next to Robin and Little Man. I think Sakurai denying him due to his size all these years made his reveal more satisfying and unexpected.
I honestly can't blame them considering the crap the Ridley fanbase has had to deal with all this time. I doubt there's been a character in all of Smash history that has been as polarizing. I also wonder if you're even aware of Shokio's original video where he talks about Ridley.

It's extremely conceited to say the least. He basically says it's impossible, and calls anyone that asks for Ridley to be resized a "fool".

Seriously, I don't even know why that guy got upset, that comment was directed at the youtuber not him, and this is the same guy that goes into threads of characters he doesn't like to crap on them.

I try not get upset at certain characters getting into smash or that people support. Sure there are reasons why I think characters should get in and others probably shouldn't, even some that I don't know why people want (like Chrom), but I wont get that upset if they get in and I may even like them. The only character that made me midly annoyed was Corrin only because we had a lot of FE characters and it was the second to last DLC, but overtime she has grown into one of my favorite characters.

Ridley is the main antagonist of Metroid games, and one of Nintendo's biggest villains. Not including him would be like not including Bowser, Ganondorf, or Mewtwo. Plus Metroid needed another character besides Samus to represent. His size shouldn't have been an issue due to his sheer importance to the franchise, he wasn't just some random boss character. I think guys like that youtuber just get off to angering people.

GreatRagnarok

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Neodragon22
3DS FC
3007-8564-4279
A long late response to this, but I figure I'd go over how my reaction went for me. In full detail.

"We put a lot of work of bringing back alot of this characters, so don't expect too many new challengers"

Fair enough, I mean you brought back Snake and everyone else, so understandable.

"...However, we do have one more announcement."

Sakurai you cheeky devil you. This is why we love you.

(Sees the beginning of the trailer, in what looks like a Subspace Emissary stage)

Story mode? Didn't think we'd get that after the Fiasco that happened with the leaked cutscenes from Brawl.

(Sees Samus, Mega Man and Mario walking)

Samus leading the party? Wait a second...

(Sees a familiar tail impale Mega Man)

Wha?

(Sees Mario's head get crushed)

Is this really happening?

(Samus looking ready to whoop some alien booty)

Nah, this has got to be a troll attempt from Sakurai. I mean he couldn't have figured it out how to bring him in this quickly...Did he?

(Ridley busting through like a Xenomorph on steroids)

Ridley looking fresh man.

(Ridley Hits the Big Time)

Your flipping kidding me!

(Sees gameplay from Ridley)

And it was at that moment...I saw the light at the end of this dark tunnel that freed me and the others from this torment we've endured from many years.

It was truly a shocking moment and a character I expected to be shown in E3, someone who has a big reputation and lovable by the fans that would cause a huge ripple across the Smash community. I heard about the rumors from a certain infamous user, but I stayed my hype because even though this user has predicted quite a lot right, he did predict a lot of things wrong too. But all the things he said about the Smash leaks were true (Save for Simon Belmont, but I hope he gets in for that sweet Castlevania music). It was truly a moment that has lifted a heavy pain from my heart and has sparked a new fire for the series (One of them few moments actually).

Regardless, now that the one I support is in, I guess I can focus on supporting other characters too. I'll still check in from time to time and maybe talk on here too so don't worry about me leaving. I have a few characters in mind I want to support so we'll see if these characters make it in.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I got spoiled on it by Reddit because I was asleep while the direct was going on but my reaction was barely contained excited laughter once I watched the entire Smash section

Last edited:

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I'm probably one of the few people that didn't recognize the place when it first showed Ceres Station. But when Ridley was shown attacking I wasn't going to believe he was in until we saw that classic confirmed character screen we usually see, and I smiled and thought to myself, "Wow, they finally did it." I'm glad to see he's finally getting his chance in Smash and it's great to see so many people excited about his inclusion when it seemed so very unlikely for obvious reasons.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm probably one of the few people that didn't recognize the place when it first showed Ceres Station. But when Ridley was shown attacking I wasn't going to believe he was in until we saw that classic confirmed character screen we usually see, and I smiled and thought to myself, "Wow, they finally did it." I'm glad to see he's finally getting his chance in Smash and it's great to see so many people excited about his inclusion when it seemed so very unlikely for obvious reasons.
I don't think it's Ceres, it certainly doesn't have long, narrow bridges over bottomless chasms. I think it's more meant to evoke the place Ridley was fought in Subspace Emissary.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Yeah, I thought it looked more like a Subspace Emissary-type area. I guess I sort of assumed it was after it was mentioned above.

Top Bottom