• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your reaction to every newcomer yet

TriforceBun

Smash Apprentice
:ultinkling: "...This is Smash. This is Smash!" Sakurai tried to be tricky, but for once, I guessed correctly before the reveal! I actually thought SSBU was simply going to be a port of SSB4 for a while, but I'm thrilled to be wrong on that end, at least. Inkling was one of the only near-100% shoo-in characters, so I'm glad they got her obvious reveal out there first (with the real surprise being the existence of a new Smash). Obviously she's a great choice.

:ultdaisy: Oh, that's kinda neat!

:ultridley: I flipped out. I've been wanting and expecting Ridley to be playable since Brawl, and I couldn't believe he missed out in Wii U/3DS. He was definitely my number one (non-dream) character after Mega Man's reveal in SSB4, so this was the highlight of E3 and one of my favorite character reveals ever! Can't wait to put some serious time into this bad boy.

:ultsimon: Very excited. I've been wanting Simon in for a long time as well; he was definitely my number one Konami rep (above Snake too) and they nailed his design and moveset. I'm going to be playing a lot of Simon come the game's release as well, and I was excited to see how much Castlevania representation was in Smash.

:ultrichter: Whoa, didn't see that coming. But Rondo of Blood is amazing so I'm cool with this. I'll probably stick to Simon though.

:ultchrom: Chrom?? Don't get me wrong, I like him as a character and I really like Fire Emblem Awakening, but the samey-ness of the FE roster in Smash has gotten to be a bit much.

:ultdarksamus: A Metroid Prime rep and the first US-created character in Smash! Dark Samus was kind of an exciting reveal for me since I love the Metroid series and I'm glad to finally see it get some other characters, although I probably won't play as her much.

:ultkrool: A good, classic choice with a hilarious reveal. I've got eyes for the other giant lizard newcomer, but K. Rool rounds out a villainous roster nicely. Hope to see more baddies soon.

Isabelle: Eh, makes sense. Welcome aboard, Isabelle.

D

Deleted member

:ultinkling:: Saw this coming.

:ultdaisy:: Cool, I guess.

:ultridley:: Holy ****! The space dragon boy actually made it!

:ultsimon:: Yes! Awesome addition!

:ultrichter:: Don’t know much about him. I’m more familiar with Simon.

:ultchrom:: Zzzzzz....Wha? Where was I?

:ultdarksamus:: Didn’t see that coming, but I will gladly take!

:ultkrool:: Sincerely happy for his fans who have wanted to see him get in for years.

Isabelle: Adorable walking dog is adorable. Trailer could’ve been better though.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
:ultinkling: - "Yo a new Smash Bros! Cool to see Inkling but whatever"
:ultdaisy: - "Fair enough"
:ultridley: - "That'll shut the haters up"
:ultsimon: - "It was only a matter of time. Meh"
:ultrichter: - "Who? He looks like he fits in more than Simon tho"
:ultchrom: - "YES! But oh boy now we get more complaining from the community..."
:ultdarksamus: - "That's cool I guess"
:ultkrool: - "About time son. Where that Dixie tho"
:058: - "AWESOME BUT WHERE'S THE NEW ANIMAL CROSS- Oh there it is. Excellent then."

kylexv

Smash Master
Newcomers:

:ultinkling:: Was more exited about the fact that a new Smash was coming more so than the Inklings.
:ultdaisy:: Mostly just thought of a certain person and thought "oh god"
:ultridley:: dere he is. my boy. he's finally here
:ultsimon:: Looks pretty cool
:ultrichter:: Wait, what? Who? Why?
:ultchrom:: Oh hey it's Chrom. So who is he an echo fighter of again?
:ultdarksamus:: Oh hey it's Dark Samus. I like her animations.
:ultkrool:: Ridley and K. Rool both made it. What a time to be alive.
:ultisabelle: : Well, I expected her to show up eventually. Just not as a semi-clone.

Returning Veterans:

:ulticeclimbers:: Good to see the icies are indeed back.
:ultpokemontrainer:: Holy crap. They actually did it?
:ultsnake:: Snake's back! And everyone else too!
:ultpichu:: Yes, even Pichu. Even Pichu. So happy.
:ultyounglink:: And there is my boy Young Link. Never thought I'd see him back.
:ultwolf:: Dang he looks nice

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I used that Smash Bros tier list to make a graph of how I felt about each newcomer at the time of their inclusion in Smash Bros, factoring in my experience and knowledge of each series at the time of their inclusion in the series... buuut I don't want to clog up the thread with all that, so I'll just go over the newcomers thus far.

:ultinkling:
"What is this a Splatoon 1 port or something? This looks like the trailer for the original Spla-ohhh.... it's Smash.!!!" After the initial hype my thoughts could be summed up as "Well yeah, obviously they'd be in." but I was still happy nonetheless.
:ultridley:
"The Absolute Madman actually did it! Finally" I was pleased to say the least. And very surprised.
:ultdaisy:
"Oh... that's a weird choice.... Wait is she an alternate costume or not? Whatever." ...So, as a Mario fan who doesn't care about the spinoffs, the love for characters like Daisy and Waluigi has always been kind of strange to me. But I usually just zip my lip since I don't have a lot of experience with them anyway.
:ultsimon:
"oh my god oh my god the leaks were real oh my god this is the best trailer ever oh my god oh my god ahhh he looks so good!!!" I then proceeded to play Castlevania on my NES Classic Edition for the rest of the night and even beat it.
:ultrichter:
"Wait what?? Really?? That's... unexpected...But not unwelcome. Richter is the only other Belmont I really care about." That being said, I've never played Rondo or Symphony of the Night, I have played Dracula X though.
:ultchrom:
"Of course he's in. Next." Sorry. I don't like Fire Emblem.
:ultdarksamus:
"Yeah, okay. Cool." Ngl, I only liked the first Metroid Prime. I didn't think Dark Samus was a popular pick. She's not unwelcome or anything. I just have no strong feelings one way or the other.
:ultkrool:
This was the reveal that made me feel eternally satisfied with the roster, and potentially okay with the series potentially ending after Smash Bros. Ultimate. I haven't felt hype like this since they revealed Sonic for Brawl, something I never even dreamed possible before that. It also made me extremely hopeful of what else could possibly be left to reveal for the game. My expectations were sky high after this character was revealed. I then proceded to play Donkey Kong Country on my SNES Classic Edition the following day.
:ultvillager:( Isabel )
And this is the character that brought me back down to earth. I expected her to be in the game, I just didn't expect her to have her own reveal trailer and not be an Echo. The whole reveal was quite honestly hype poison to me. Now all of those seemingly impossible things I wanted don't seem as likely as I thought. Suddenly the words of "don't expect too many newcomers" are ringing in my ear and I only imagine the next few picks being Bandana Waddle Dee, Incineroar, and the latest Fire Emblem protagnist...

Don't mistake me for suddenly hating the game or even hating Isabel/Animal Crossing. This still looks like the best Smash Bros game yet, although I think my disappointment kinda shook me out of being permanently satisfied with the series because it made me realize that there is still so much more that I want in the game... As for Animal Crossing, I still love that series... but I sure hope it's more than an HD new leaf with a handful of added gimmicks.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
:ultinkling: - When they did the one more thing in the Direct after the Octo Expansion and showed the cutscene. I IMMEDIATELY knew it was Smash! I was jumping up and down! INKLINGS IN SMASH!!!! INKLINGS IN SMASH!!! HELL YEAH! Was my reaction even if Inklings were a shoe-in.

:ultdaisy: - I was like DAISY!? Really? ****ing Daisy!? I don't mind her inclusion but for her to be the first reveal after Inklings was a bit underwhelming.

:ultridley: - Soon as they showed the overhead dark corridor exterior, then showed Samus walking I knew who it was and I couldn't be more excited! While he was always up there and deserving of being in Smash for some reason I wasn't THAT hyped. Maybe it was because he was revealed during the "E3 Direct" where I was expecting more games, but instead we got 25 minutes of Smash. By the time Ridley was revealed I just wanted the Smash talk/Direct to end. Super happy he's in though.

:ultsimon: - Meh. I simply don't get excited for 3rd parties in Smash. No hate against the character and I have never played a Castlevania game so I have no connection towards him. I realize he's iconic, I just feel Smash should've always remained 1st party only.

:ultrichter: - I was like "Who? ANOTHER Castlevania character" the best thing about his reveal is that it opened my ears to "Bloodlines" and I haven't been able to get this tune out of my head ever since.

:ultchrom: - I was like hell yeah Chrom made it! That's Awesome!

:ultdarksamus: - Dark Samus is here too! That is also amazing. I will never use regular Samus ever again.

:ultkrool: - I was at work while watching this direct. When they showed the Klaptrap assist trophy I was like "That's a dead giveaway K.Rool is coming!" When the screen started shaking I was like "What is happening!?" then they showed the villain montage "I was like NO! It can't be..." then they showed DK yawning and I started jumping up and down screaming like a little girl. HE'S HERE, HE'S FINALLY HERE! 17 YEARS OF WAITING!" Then Dedede popped up and I was like "No don't you dare!" then I accidentally bumped my phone screen and it left youtube! "I was like NO GO BACK! GO BACK!" frantically trying to get back to the stream. Then all I see is K.Rool doing the "Pathetic" stance. Tears come to my eyes. 3 of my friends texting my phone congratulating me. I couldn't work the rest of the day (still had 4 hours left in my shift), I said to myself "It's TOO HYPE!!!" I rewatched the trailer at least 50 times that day.

Isabelle - I wanted her in the game I was expecting her to be an echo but she got promoted to semi-clone/newcomer status. While I wanted her she definitely wasn't near the top of my most wanted and her reveal trailer was so lame and underwhelming that it killed the little bit of hype I did have. Then they showed Tom Nook and I was like "What Tom Nook is Joining TOO!?" but thank god it was an announcement for Animal Crossing 2019 (which I'm hyped for).

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Inkling: What if this another Splat- OH MY GOD IT'S FREAKING SMASH!!! *SCREECHES* *After getting over the inital hype* I was kinda expecting them already.
Dasiy: Oh neat!
Ridley: OMFG THEY DID IT!!! THEY ACTUALLY DID IT!!! THE BIG BOI MADE IT IN!!! I'VE BEEN HOLDING UP HOPE FOR YOU DURING THE MIDDLE OF THE SMASH BALLOT!!!
Simon: Well I guess the leak was true,
Richter: WHAT?! Richter?! Alright, screw Simon, as long as I get to hear some Rondo of Blood music whilst playing as Richter that's all good.
Chrom: Another Fire emblem rep............? Well, I guess some people are happy at least so that's good.
Dark Samus: Oh...! That's surprising. It's pretty good that there are at least four Metroid reps now. She looks pretty good.
K. Rool: Wow, that fakeout almost got me there. He looks pretty good. I might try him out.
Isabelle: Well aren't you adorable! And there's a new Animal Crossing coming out in 2019. I'm not even an AC fan but that was pretty good. That trailer was pretty calming. It could've been better but hey. I'm sure no-one can hate this- *See's comments about how people were expecting Geno or how Waluigi and Ashley didn't get but Isabelle got in instead*....................... You know what...? I hope Sakurai takes a REALLY long break because you all don't deserve anything from him ever again.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
:ultinkling: At the time Smash was released, I'd not played Splatoon at all. I had no attachment to them as newcomers, but the fact Smash had just got announced was enough. I've retrospectively played Splatoon 2 and am now a big fan.

:ultdaisy: I've thought Daisy would be a fun alternate costume for Peach since Melee, even if I didn't put stock in the idea of her as a unique newcomer. Given that's effectively what she now is, I thought it was cool and made sense.

:ultridley: This was HYPE, man. Ridley is a cool character and I was stoked to see him here. Easily blew every character reveal from Smash 4 except Ryu out of the water.

:ultsimon: I'd been expecting this for a while when it came around, but I've always liked the idea of Simon even if I wasn't an active supporter. His trailer was great, and I'll probably play him a bit.

:ultrichter: This was a fun surprise I definitely WASN'T expecting! I'm more attached to the classic Simon look, but this was a cool addition for his fans.

:ultchrom: I'm not a Fire Emblem man and never will be, but I made my peace with clones (seriously, there's some magic in that Echo Fighter rebranding) so was happy for his fans, even if I'm never going to touch him.

:ultdarksamus: This was really cool, especially so soon after Ridley! It was not entirely unexpected, but this is probably my favourite echo so far and the only one I will use alongside or over the base version.

:ultkrool: King K Rool was my #1 newcomer for both this game and Smash 4. His reveal trailer came completely out of the blue, and I was already anxious given the recently leaked PMs between Vergeben and loz18.

I can still remember the trailer extremely well. I was watching with a group of friends; we had some others who couldn't be there on Discord. We got to the end when the screen started shaking. One friend said "something big's coming", and another said "K Rool" to me - as every one of them knew I was hyping for him. I felt a tiny bit of hope but nothing more. Then the villains montage happened. Contrary to most people who seemed to respond with Subspace 2 ideas, I thought this meant a villain character was coming. I started to get very nervous. When the TV turned off and DKs mouth appeared, I was even more nervous. In my heart I felt it coming but in my head I didn't dare believe. When we saw Dedede, it was euphoric - not because of the troll, but because you clearly saw him discard a K Rool mask and I was confident Sakurai wouldn't then not reveal him.

Isabelle - After K Rool, I want for nothing, so I have no ill will towards Isabelle. I won't lie though - I did find her trailer extremely boring relative to all the other ones.

BrashCandicoot

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-0606-3457
Switch FC
SW-2362-2833-3327
:ultinkling: I was more hyped when Smash got announced but I do really like Splatoon and I always thought they'd add Inkling somewhere down the line.

:ultdaisy: I prefer her to Peach and Rosalina so I was mildly hyped when Daisy got announced as an echo.

:ultridley: OMG this was the first character I was really hyped for because they made the impossible possible. Because of Ridley's announcement this completely changed the game in terms of new characters being added to Smash since no one ever thought Ridley would get in.

:ultsimon: I was pretty hyped for Simon even though I was 99% sure he was gonna get added before his reveal. I've never played Castlevania but from what
I've seen it looks really fun and I think a new weapon user makes the roster more diverse.

:ultrichter: I had no idea who he was before his reveal so I wasn't really hyped for him.

:ultchrom: Finally Chrom got his chance and I was really happy because if there was one more FE character that deserved to get in, Chrom was my number one choice.

:ultdarksamus: Meh just a dark version of Samus, pretty much like Pit and Dark Pit.

:ultkrool: Tbh I kinda saw him coming after Ridley was revealed so I wasn't that surprised but I was definitely not dissatisfied that he got in and I loved his reveal trailer (probably my favourite reveal trailer ever).

Isabelle: I love Animal Crossing and I love Isabelle so I was really happy that she got announced and I think it perfectly tied in with the new Animal Crossing game announcement.

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
:ultinkling: : WAIT WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE'RE GETTING A SMASH GAME ALREADY? Well, I'm at least glad the Inklings are in. Predictable, sure, but I considered voting for them on the ballot so I'm more than happy with this.

:ultdaisy: : So there's going to be an actual focus on clones this time around? Sure, why not, don't take much development time anywa- WAIT, DAISY OF ALL CHARACTERS? THAT I did NOT see coming.

:ultridley: : THERE'S NO WAY THE ****ING MADMEN DID IT. THEY ACTUALLY KILLED A MEME HOLY **** WHAT IS THIS WORLD.

:ultsimon: : Eh, expected. Like that he's in cuz he's from a classic franchise and got moveset potential, though I don't like what this means for the speculation scene.

:ultrichter: : WAIT WHAT THE **** WHO IS THIS WHAT'S GOING ON ARE YOU TELLING ME SHADOW IS A LEGIT POSSIBILITY

:ultchrom: : Daddy Sakurai bless for adding in best Awakening boi. *after direct* wait, he's a Roy echo while having Ike's up-B? Guess I didn't pay good attention. He's potentially got a consistent blade? ....I think he might be one of my main characters.

:ultdarksamus: : ...Wait, two Metroid characters? Guess I was wrong about predicting a maximum of one newcomer per franchise. Then again, Richter should've shown as such. Congratulations to Metroid fans, I suppose, they got their general two most wanteds. (Even if quite a few wanted Dark Samus to at least be a semi-clone. As a Dark Pit fan, I know how you feel.)

:ultkrool:: EXCUSE THEY DID ****ING WHAT WAECDSVF BSZSFBXCAEDZYIN WELL CONGRATS TO LITERALLY EVERYONE I NEVER PLAYED A DK GAME BUT EVEN I KNOW HOW BIG *PUN UNINTENDED* OF A DEAL THIS IS.

:ultisabelle: : Well, she was to be expected, still, nice. ....She's a unique fighter? ...Oh. Well, she looks like a more fun version of the villager with her different utilization of Villager's tools as well as using some different ones. Will be trying her out though.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Not really....Daisy has changes that are out of the realm for an alt, and her treatment is very different to an alt.
She has some unique animations, but all of her attacks are the same up to some tweaked properties. To me it's a glorified alternate costume. If you think otherwise then good for you, you are evidently the person who cares more about the character and I hope you have fun using her, but there isn't really any point us having this argument when I don't believe either of us will change the others opinion on this.

Battiest Badger

Smash Cadet
:ultinkling: - Heck yeah, Inkling! Good for you, you stylin' little Squiddo. Best character? TBD. Coolest character? You know it!

:ultdaisy: - She's spunky. I like it. I've played a bit of Peach from time to time. I'll dabble.

:ultridley: - Oh my god, it happened. People are gonna go absolutely bonkers. Psyched for another villain. I know they were worried about staying true to the character by making sure he was big, but honestly, I'd have been cool if they'd gone a little smaller.

:ultsimon: - "Never fear! Simon Belmont is here!" Never played a Castlevania, but his whip and throwing blade look cool. I could see myself playing as him.

:ultrichter: - WAIT, WHO IS THAT!? THERE'S TWO OF THEM!? Nevermind, Simon, you've been usurped. Your echo looks way cooler than you! You had a good run, buddy.

:ultchrom: - Hey, it's that guy people like. Good for them. Oh, he's like a faster Ike. Wait, he's a Roy Echo!? What is going on?

:ultdarksamus: - Ooh, cool. I'll never say no to another villain. [[Or villain adjacent? I don't know Metroid]]

:ultkrool: - They did it. They put in K. Rool. People are probably going nuts right now. I'll definitely have to try him out. They're really bringing it this time. I'm on board with basically ever character they've introduced.

- Awww, she's adorable. Way better than annoying, dumb, ugly villager who's annoying.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
:ultinkling: - "Holy crap, a new Smash Bros. already?! Awesome! Hope it's not just a port of Smash 4! Inklings were the obvious pick for a newcomer, but I'm happy they're in!"
:ultdaisy: - "Bahahaha nice. She better have a 'Hi I'm Daisy!' taunt. A good pick for this new 'Echo Fighter' feature. The more, the merrier!"
:ultridley: - *Sees the sci-fi looking bridge and Samus' boots* "No way. *Mario and Megaman get killed* "IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING! Good lord, this is violent." *Ridley destroys the bridge and reveals himself * "YESSSSSSSSSSSSS THEY FINALLY DID IT!" * Proceeds to heartily laugh at his tag line referencing the 'too big' meme.* "Thank you, Sakurai!"
:ultsimon: - *Sees the castle exterior and the boots walking in the rain* "IT'S SIMON BELMONT! YES! YES! YES!" *The rest of the trailer was of me laughing at poor Luigi until he gets killed by Death.* "DAMN another character dies! What's with people dying in these trailers?" *Simon then reveals himself to be in his classic Conan the Barbarian appearance "Nice, they didn't use the new look!"
:ultrichter: - "WHAAAAAAAAAAAT?! RICHTER?! YEEEEEEEEEES!" *Proceeds to laugh at his Symphony of the Night dialogue being used* Richter's my favourite Belmont, so I was through the roof when he was revealed. "Huh, he kinda looks like a fusion between Jonathan and Joseph Joestar in this game. I love Richter even more now!"
:ultchrom: - "Haha nice. Chrom finally gets his time to shine! Love it! People are gonna be groaning about more Fire Emblem reps though. He's an Echo of...Marth? Nope, that was Roy's F-air, so he must be a Roy echo. Makes sense. Wait a minute, was that Aether?! He's an echo of Roy AND somewhat of Ike?! Didn't see that coming. Oh cool, he uses his game's version of Aether as his final smash. Sweet! I wonder if Robin's final smash is going to change now.
:ultdarksamus:- "Saw this one coming, but nice! Happy to see Metroid finally getting the love it deserves!" Oh wow, these new animations are looking sweet!"
:ultkrool:- *Sees the hero vs. villains artwork* "Is this who I think it is?!" *Cuts to DK yawning* "OH MY GOD! K.ROOL!" *Dedede troll* "Oh wow, that's so mean XD" *K.Rool slaps Dedede away* "AWWWWW YEAH! All of my Smash dreams are coming true! Looks like they're doing a combo of his old and new look. Looks really good! Man, I still can't believe he's finally in Smash! Also loving the big increase of villains so far! smash was in desperate need of more of them. I'm so happy!"

Isabelle - " I saw this one coming, but I'm happy for the people who really wanted her in." *sees that she isn't an echo* "What the?! Oh wow, interesting! She looks more fun to play as than Villager, so I'll give her a shot. Man, she's adorable. XD"

As you can tell, I like every character that's been included in Ultimate so far; especially Ridley, Simon/Richter, and K.Rool. Can't wait to see who else gets in!

Last edited:

Yarael-BJ-Poof

Smash Cadet
Somehow I remember my exact words...

:ultinkling: - "Are they porting Splatoon 1 to the Switch? [sees Smash logo] OHHHHHHH MY GOOOOODDDD LETS F********NG GOOOOOOO!!!!!! SMAAAAAAASH [forgets about Inkling]"
:ultdaisy: - "......uhhhhhhh, okay then. Alright, they have to put in Waluigi now. If they're gonna put in Daisy but not Waluigi I'm not gonna be happy." [then was not happy.]
:ultridley: - "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS LETS F***********NG GOOOOOOOO!!! RIDLEYYYYYYYYYYY OMG YEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH"
:ultsimon: - "Yep, it's Simon Belmont. The leaks were true. Come on, just give us Ken already."
:ultrichter: - "...….who dafuq is this?"
:ultchrom: - "Are you kidding me, more Fire Emblem....wait....CHROM????? OOOOOOHHHHHHH MY GOOOODD! HE FINALLY GOT HIS CHANCE!!!"
:ultdarksamus: - "I was really hoping this wouldn't happen."
:ultkrool: - "(mindlessly sings DK Rap) wait, KING K. ROOL!!!!! WHAT ARE YOU KIDDING ME???!!! HE'S IN SMASH!!!! KING K. ROOL IS IN SMASH!!!!!"
Isabelle - "Oh wow I totally didn't see this coming. [obvious sarcasm is obvious] Wait....shes' not even an echo? You're telling me they took up an entire character slot on a character that should be an echo?? What kind of bulls*** is this?"

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Inkling
Huh, more Splatoon. Cool I guess. "Smash Logo shows up" OFGFDMGHNHHHGF

Daisy
Sweet. Now I have a reason to try Peach

Ridley
Wait a minute, this place looks familiar. Oh no, he wouldn't. "Megaman is impaled by a familiar tail" No way, NO FREAKING WAY. The mad man actually did it. RIDLEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Simon
Luigi's mansion 3 looks great. "Medusa shows up." Oh boy, people are going to jump on Vergeben's nut's even harder. "Luigi dies" Wait, is this a pattern? First Megaman, Mario and now Luigi? "Simon shows up" Cool addition. Not much of a Castlevania head, but he more than deserves a spot in Smash.

Richter
Huh? Oh my god, the guy from Symphony of the Night? Why does he look so different? That's cool, I guess.

Chrom
Happy for the Chrom fans. Guess he must be Ike's echo. Wait, that doesn't look like Ike, wait a minute, he is? That's the same Ike recovery. What's going on?

Dark Samus
OH S''''. Here we go. Good lord, her animations are so different from Samus.

K. Rool.
Oh, the thwomp sounds like the cannon fires from DKC. Could it be? "Villains vs Heroes" OH NO, K. Rool? "DK shows up" K. ROOL. "K. Rool silhouette appears" HE'S HERE. "Dedede troll" Oh come on, stop F'ing with us, Sakurai. "Real K. Rool shows up" GANGPLANK GALLEON INTENSIFIES. "Gangplank Galleon actually starts playing" OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH.

Isabelle
Ok, so she must be the echo, wonder who else will appear. "Gameplay starts" Huh, she's not? "Trailer ends with Animal Crossing announcement" Cool, Isabelle looks fun. This must've been a huge treat for AC fans. New Smash character and a game reveal? They must be losing their minds.

Last edited:

FFF555

Smash Rookie
:ultinkling:- OH MY GOD NEW SMASH and Inklings are in cool
:ultdaisy:- Eh, dont care for her but it was an obvious way to introduce echoes
:ultridley:- HOLY CRAP RIDLEY I CANT BELIEVE THEY ADDED HIM
:ultsimon: - Awesome! However I wasnt that surprised because of the leaks
:ultrichter: - Never played a game with him in it but he looks cool!
:ultchrom: - Nice, looks okay
:ultdarksamus:- Oh nice!
:ultkrool:- K. ROOL OH MY GODI CANT BELIEVE IT OH MY GOD
Isabelle: Cool. NEW ANIMAL CROSSING!!!

Last edited:

Jakisthe

Smash Cadet
Inkling: Unique moveset, new Nintendo IP; overall great fit
Daisy: Worthless clone
Ridley: Long requested, one of my most wanted, proved the haters hilarious wrong, unique moveset although I would have done some things differently
Simon: Gaming legend, and one of the last worthwild 3rd parties, and some fun tools for his normals
Richter: Worthless clone
Chrom: Worthless clone, although apparently he mixed several characters together, which is better
Dark Samus: Worthless clone; fix Samus first
K Rool: A lot like Ridley, and I like the dual mode cannonball, but the counter is a spectacularly lame choice. Still, overall good
Isabella: Half worthless clone, half completely anti-hyper; still total waste of their time and efforts

Last edited:

xwingz900

Smash Apprentice
:ultinkling:- Cool, surprised they didn't squeeze him/her into Smash 4. Maybe I'll play.
:ultdaisy:- I'm not terribly excited for her, but a cool edition none the less. Not gonna play.
:ultridley:-NANI?!?!?! Definitely gonna be playing him at some point!
:ultsimon:- YEEEEESSSS!!!! NEW MAIN?!
:ultrichter:- BIGGER YEEEESSSSSS!!!! ALSO NEW MAIN?! (followed by slight disappointment that Alucard was only an assist trophy)
:ultchrom:- Another Fire Emblem character.........alright, i'll give them that one, he's a fan favorite. Maybe i'll play
:ultdarksamus:- This is fine but Dark Pit is stupid?.....I still think she's a cool edition, probably not gonna play though.
:ultkrool:- Sweet, awesome fake out trailer, probably would've freaked out more if Simon and Richter didn't just get announced. Maybe I'll check out.

Isabelle- (unpopular opinion incoming) ..........out of all the characters......WHY?!?! Not gonna play (I still love Isabelle don't hate)

I wouldn't be shocked if we saw an arms character or another Pokemon (specifically Decidueye) Overall interesting editions

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
:ultinkling:: Not my cup of tea, but I saw this one coming.
:ultdaisy:: Wow! Daisy actually made it in.
:ultridley:: FINALLY!!!
:ultsimon:: This is so sick and awesome.
:ultrichter:: Who's this guy?
:ultchrom:: I expected it, but I really don't want anymore Fire Emblem characters.
:ultdarksamus:: Also expected it, I'm glad she's in because she's a villain and a girl so she's killing two birds with one stone.
:ultkrool:: FINALLY!!! MY MOST WANTED CHARACTER I HAVE BEEN WAITING 17 YEARS FOR!!!

Isabelle: Saw it coming, but I was expecting for her to be a Echo Fighter instead.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

:ultinkling: - "Are they porting Splatoon 1? And it just got dark. Wait a minu- Woah, it's Smash! BotW Link is here, too."
:ultdaisy: - "Peach clone, huh? What business does she have throwing turnips or using Toad as a meat shield? Whatever."
:ultridley: - "Is it Simon Belmont? Or is it Ridley? I know these two were rumored, and Snake just returned, so- Sakurai did it, the madman!"
:ultsimon: - "I see the castle, so it's definitely Simon. Getting Lords of Shadow vibes from the hooded cloak. And there's Luigi, fighting the mummies with the Poltergust as if this were Luigi's Mansion 3 or something. There's Medusa. There's Death, and- HE KILLED LUIGI!! Simon Belmont is here, and his design is based on the original NES box art. Huh, it's the Vampire Killer remix from Judgment. Interesting. He's got the sub-weapons, the whip dangle from Super Castlevania IV, and he can dive kick like in Harmony of Despair. Heck yeah, he looks amazing!"
:ultrichter: - "Woah, Richter! He even said the infamous line. Might be an echo fighter. I see he's got all the fancy martial arts from Symphony of the Night onward. Loving that Divine Bloodlines remix. Poor Luigi, though, haunted by Carmilla's mask form."
:ultchrom: - "Is this...another Fire Embl- Chrom finally got his chance. He's an echo of...Ike? Marth again? Roy maybe?"
:ultdarksamus: - "Not surprised after the Assist Trophy removal. Too bad she doesn't do all the cool attacks her AT did, but alright."
:ultkrool: - "That rumbling... I think I know who this is. Yep, it's K. Rool. Dedede, you troll. Wow, he has the blunderbuss, the helicopter pack, and his Final Smash is even the game over screen from DK64. Wow..."
:ultisabelle: - *Reads "Not actual gameplay footage." text* "It's Isabelle in Smash. Not surprised after the Assist Trophy removal. Looking at how she plays, I can't help but feel indifference. But after getting Simon and K. Rool, I can't complain."

IronTed

Smash Ace
:ultinkling: "Well, this was totally expected, but still cool I guess."
:ultdaisy: "Meh. Good for Daisy fans I guess, being a clone makes sense."
:ultridley:"Wooooaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!"
:ultsimon: "Oh that's cool, his whip looks interesting."
:ultrichter: "Who is this?"
:ultchrom: "Meh."
:ultdarksamus: "I expected this because of the evidence, but she looks really awesome, glad she's in"
:ultkrool: "He looks really intriguing. Also glad that the K. Rool fans got their wish."
Isabelle "I'm fine with this, glad she's unique and not relegated to an echo."

Last edited:

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
:ultinkling:- Oh finally a the first trailer for the new Smash. Let the hype train begin!!! Inklings were expected, but they never wow'd me.
Everyone is here: Okay lets see the roster. Okay Icies are finally back understand there's no 3ds now. Hey look squirtle and Ivysaur are back. That's a surprise. A welcome one. Snake appears and the logo appears. MY GOD, ITS BEAUTIFUL!
:ultdaisy:- Hi, its Daisy. Cool, I like Daisy
:ultridley:- Is it.. Is it him.... The madman did it, he really it did it this time. Thank you Sakurai! Wait did he just kill Mega Man and Mario!!!
:ultsimon:- Sees bricks and rain. Its Castlevania isn't it. Did Death just kill Luigi. Simon you better avenge that plumber!
:ultrichter:- ITS MY BOI RICHTER AND HE SAID THE LINE. MY HYPE IS BEYOND COMPREHENSION. That bloodlines remix yes.
:ultkrool:- I sense a disturbance in the direct. Wait is that villains motif. Oh boyyy... DK yawns. Me: YESYESYEESSSS. Dedede troll happens. You had your laugh Sakurai now show us our real King. Gets blown away by the Gangplank Galleon remix. HYPE IS AT UNSEEN LEVELS.
Isabelle-eh cool for fans. Though I'm already satisfied after August. So no loss for me. Hey new AC too.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
:ultinkling:: Sure, deserves to be in and the most locked in character pick so far. Good to have up front.
:ultdaisy:: Let's just say I had to edit this because I forgot about Daisy.
:ultridley:: Whoa, they actually did it. I predicted it, but I still can't believe they actually gave us Ridley.
:ultsimon:: Oh whoa - didnt expect, but very deserving.
:ultrichter:: Sure, whatevs.
:ultchrom:: Oh - and they didnt cut anyone else? At least he's an Ike Clone. Oh...
:ultdarksamus:: Aw ****, the world is ending, we got Metroid love. <3
:ultkrool:: Bound to happen, welcome to the party.
: Adorable and deserving! I bet the edge-lord smash fans are gonna complain we didn't get Skull Kid or Isaac... She's wonderful though. :)

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
:ultinkling:: New it was coming, still pretty awesome

:ultdaisy:: Kinda suprised. Kinda felt it was only a matter of time. A little bit disapointed that she's a Peach echo and doesn't wear her sports outfit.

:ultridley:: I have never cared for Ridley as a character. His trailer was awesome though.

:ultsimon:: YES! FINALLY! Everything about his reveal was great.

:ultrichter:: Oh, Richter's here as well? That's cool too.

:ultchrom:: Why? Don't we have enough of these guys already?

:ultdarksamus:: ... whatever

:ultkrool:: Not a personal favorite, but he looks like he'll be fun.

Isabelle: Cute trailer. Cute character. Don't see why so many people are upset with her.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
:ultinkling: ''Inklings are in... Smash?! YES, FINALLY!!''
Being a big fan of Splatoon, I was already pretty excited to just get more Splatoon news at this point during the Direct back then (though still understanding people might be disappointed). And when I saw it was regarding Smash, I was really quite happy that Inklings were finally coming! They were one of my most wanted newcomers for Smash, and after the disappointment that was their Mii Fighter outfits in Smash 4 I'm really stoked they're in properly this time, and they look super fun to play as too.
:ultdaisy: ''Ayyyyy, about time you got in!''
I've always wanted to have Daisy as an alternate for Peach, pretty much the way she's implemented with her more unique animations to suit her own style more, so I was pretty happy to see her! I'll probably be playing as her about as much as I'll be playing Peach. I love them both really.
:ultridley: ''Whelp, you all finally got your wish, you memed Ridley into Smash, congrats.''
Eh. I've always been in the 'Ridley is too big' camp (and still kinda am honestly), and having him here in this downsized state really undermines just what kind of a monster Ridley really is honestly, at least in my opinion. That said, I'm aware of how people wanted Ridley in Smash a lot, so I'm happy for his fans most of all, even if I don't care much for him.
:ultsimon: ''Oh hey, they actually put him in! Cool!''
I'm not really big on Castlevania, but I still knew who Simon Belmont was, and I always thought it'd be cool to have him in Smash, I just never thought it would happen. But he was revealed, with a pretty awesome trailer no less, so yeah, cool!
:ultrichter: ''Wait... who? Richter? Who the heck is this guy?''
As said above, I'm not big on Castlevania, so it's probably no surprise that I had no clue whatsoever who Richter was. I kinda prefer his design over Simon though, so I might still be playing as Richter more than Simon, but we'll see about that when the time comes. ....is it time yet?
:ultchrom: ''....really? Chrom? Uuuugh!! Enough Fire Emblem!!''
...eh, whatever. To be honest I really don't see the appeal in Chrom whatsoever, or what makes him stand out from other Fire Emblem lords. This may or may not have something to do with me not really enjoying present day Fire Emblem (starting from Awakening), but eh. Easily my least favourite newcomer, but I'm happy for his fans at the very least.
:ultdarksamus: ''Uhm... okay? Cool?''
Never thought I'd see the day Dark Samus as a character would ever be added, but here we are, and I'm mostly kinda indifferent about it. I'll probably still be playing regular Samus more, unless Dark Samus somehow just ends up feeling that much better to actually play as. I hope she has a light alternate costume though, I prefer light costumes over dark costumes generally.
''Huh.. wait.. she's actually in Smash? And she's actually a (semi-)unique character? Who would've thought?''
I do enjoy Animal Crossing quite a bit, but as I already said in other places I would have preferred keeping Isabelle as an Assist Trophy, because assisting is literally what she does. That said I'm still happy she's here, she looks fun to play.. and you just can't help but love the idea of getting to destroy a murderous space dragon with a cute little puppy secretary and whatnot.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:ultinkling:- Oh really they made it what a surprise, what a surprise.
:ultdaisy:- *hiimdaisy intensifies* Pretty cool we're gonna see characters like these, I thought. More hype than I would expect
:ultridley:- Was surprised they finally did it. Why is he so small though? Fan demand is real
:ultsimon:- 'I should really dig in some of those old skool Castlevania games'
:ultrichter:- Okay dude no problem you can get in too, why not, also who are you?
:ultchrom:- 'Told y'all ****ers!' Was surprised he Echoes Roy and not Ike, but it makes perfect sense.
:ultdarksamus:- This character is literally dead, what does it add? Ohh a Samus with a regular roll... Cool. Quite indifferent about this one.
:ultkrool:- "Yo Diddy, King K.Rool is coming to Smash" - my friend, when I didn't saw the Direct myself </3... Hypest newcomer since Diddy in Brawl for me. I awaited him for the longest time, great to have him finally!
:ultvillager:+:ultduckhunt:'s love child: *yawn* Guess semi-clones still live. That's kinda cool.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
:ultinkling: - Awesome! Everyone knew it, but still.
:ultdaisy: - YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES. YES.
:ultridley: - Finally. Now we can stop talking about him.
:ultsimon: - I have fond memories of Castlevania. That's cool.
:ultrichter: - .......why.
:ultchrom: - Soooo. We're not getting an actual FE newcomer? Just... a... clone... of a Marth clone? I like Chrom but... eehhhh...
:ultdarksamus: - Something looks off about her and her movement, but more Metroid representation. I'm down.
:ultkrool: - Finally. Now we can stop talking about him.
- Awwwwwwwww. She's perfect.

HenryZusa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HENRYZUSA
3DS FC
2793-0702-9089
:ultinkling: - I expected them since Smash 4 DLC. Glad they're finally in the Smash family.
:ultdaisy: - Great, I was not expecting her but I'm glad for her fans :)
:ultridley: - REALLY SAKURAI? REALLY?! F'N RIDLEY BEFORE K. ROOL? Ridley is just too big.
:ultsimon: - The idea sounded meh. But once I saw the trailer I grew fond of it.
:ultrichter: - Who's this? I have to play more Castlevania games. Blue Simon it will be for me.
:ultchrom: - I think this was not necessary, but it's fine, I love Fire Emblem anyway.
:ultdarksamus: - F'N annoying fandom. At least they will now shut up.
:ultkrool: - HELL YEAH! HOLY MOTHER OF EVERYTHING THAT'S HOLY! IT WAS FRIGGIN' TIME ALREADY!
- It's good, she's so adorable. Surprised she's a "Luigi" and not an echo. Awesome :)

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
:ultinkling:: Finally, Inklings are in smash-- oh crap, please tell me this isn't going to be a repeat of Bayonetta where they seemed cool at first but then the game comes out and I discover that they play like *** compared to the other fighters.
:ultdaisy:: Oh cool it's Daisy. Her fanbase is probably really excited for her-- wait a minute, I like Daisy. Why wasn't I requesting her?
:ultridley:: *annoyed sigh* well, I guess it was only a matter of time before-- wait a minute, this means I have a boss character for my edgy OC fanfic! YES!
:ultsimon:: *annoyed sigh* well, I guess it was only a matter of time before-- wait a minute, that means they're bringing in Castlevania music! YES!
:ultrichter:: Castlevania gets two reps before Metal Gear? *annoyed sigh* fine...
:ultchrom:: *annoyed sigh* well, I guess it was only a matter of time before-- actually, no, **** this.
he's an echo fighter of a semiclone who should've been an echo of Marth to begin with. He's another ****ing sword lord from a franchise in desperate need of an axe-wielder rep. I don't care if he was a highly requested character for Smash 4; make him an alt costume of Lucina if we're that desperate for his inclusion.
:ultdarksamus:: *annoyed sigh* well, I guess it was only a matter of time before-- wait a minute, I actually like this inclusion nevermind we good...
:ultkrool:: I have no interest in this character, but his trailer was really damn good.
: yey the adorable secretary got in
:ultken::
:ultincinceroar:: *annoyed sigh* Well crap, they put in another starter pokemon. I mean... at least this one's fully evolved, unlike Ivysaur and Squirtle, and at least I like Incineroar as a starter, but...
:ultpiranha:: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! THIS IS SO ****ING STUPID! I LOVE IT!

Last edited:

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
:ultinkling: Most obvious newcomer ever. Looks cool to play as though.

:ultdaisy: I...did not see that coming. I’ll deifnitely be using her over Peach.

:ultridley: Vergeben spoiled him for me but an awesome and deserved addition nonetheless!

:ultchrom: Cool for his fans. Since he takes things from Marth, Roy, and Ike, he could be the most unique echo.

:ultdarksamus: How did this happen? I never believed the people on here that said she’d be an echo. Still really cool.

:ultkrool: Hype

:ultisabelle: WOW! My most wanted newcomer got in. And she’s not an echo!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
:ultinkling:: I never played Splatoon so I really have no opinion. Although she does look interesting.

:ultridley:: HOLY MOTHER OF MOTHER****** RIDLEY IS IN!!!! FREAKIN HYPE LEVELS OVER 9000!!!!!!

:ultdaisy:: Decent inclusion. Another female character for one and yet again another Mario character which is deserving since Mario is the icon and face of Nintendo.

:ultsimon:: Looks really fun to play especially with how the moveset looks. I dig him especially since he comes from a rather unique franchise.

:ultrichter:: Same as Simon. Also surprised with the reveal of an third party echo.

:ultdarksamus:: Cool! I didn't expect another Metroid rep to get in.

:ultchrom:: Ugh...Another Fire Emblem rep...Happy for the fans though who wanted him.

:ultkrool:: DOASDGUOJOOASDGO:ADGOJAFDS*(ASDF(*R(*%FSD_SDH(NIFDSMSGO:ASDGJO:ASDGLAGSDT(*(:TD%T()$@(_#_%#@#(#@%(_@#%_%@#U(_@# *DIES OF OVEREXPOSURE OF EXCITEMENT*

Isabelle: Quite aware how popular Animal Crossing is as well as Isabelle is among fans. An rather worthy and understandable conclusion. No complaints. She's also rather cute too. Even bigger surprise that she isn't even an echo.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Guess it's time to bring back this thread, eh? Alright.

Ken - His inclusion has some sense to it, as explained in the direct. Welcome to Smash, Ken!
Incineroar - I think I was originally against Incineroar, but I don't really mind him as much anymore. If anything, I sorta like him. He's got an interesting moveset too. Great addition.
Piranha Plant - Huh? Really? This is a joke, right? They're going to come out and say that they were only kidding, right? ...No? They're serious? Alright then. I'm not too upset. I've already got Robin, so it's not like this game is ruined for me.

Now we just wait for the DLC characters...

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Ken - Hey the better, cooler, Ryu! :smirk: we kind of knew he was coming for a while, but the fact he still has his differences is nice.

Incineroar - Cool, not going to play often, but nice for his fans. His taunting is neat.

Piranha Plant - :dizzy: Uhhhhh. What timeline are we on? My actual reaction was a confused stare that just perpetually stayed on my monitor. I know the jokester people who play weird characters for "lulz" will love this guy. :laugh:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Ken- no surprise
Incineroar- rip grinch leak
Piranha Plant-is this some new assist trophy battle mode, oh no, really surprised yet remember how sakurai tends to like to do this sort of thing

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I can't remember when I posted in this thread last, I would check but my phone is lagging like heck. but it's pretty much just disappointment across the board from Isabel on Word with an extra helping of anger and confusion with piranha plant.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Ken
Oh, who is Little Mac fighting? What? It's Ken! Hey, that's pretty cool. By the way, what an awesome battle scene!

Incineroar
Whose eyes are those? Wait, who is that? Doc? No, those colors don't look like his. Wow! It's Incineroar! That's cool!

Pirahna Plant
This is funny! Look at Mario walk angrily! What? Pirahna Plant is a character?! Hahaha! I'm not in favor of more Mario characters, but I'll make an exception! Damn! Look at that long attack!

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Ken: I don't care about.

Incineroar: I didn't care about this character when everybody was talking about him, but seeing him in action he looks like a lot of fun.

Piranha Plant: I loved Piranha Plant. This is just the kind of weird off the wall thinking that makes Nintendo so much fun.

Top Bottom