• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your personal toughest MUs

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
There are breakdowns of how a character should fare against another, A.K.A. theorized matchups. For example, Fox vs. Puff is debated 55:45 in Fox's favor, or maybe even 45:55 in Puff's. However, not everyone plays the same way with one character against another, you may do better in a matchup said to be bad for you. That being said, what is YOUR worst matchup?

Last edited:

CursedKaiju

Smash Apprentice
for me it was peach vs marth, i felt like there was nothing i could do in neutral because of marth's range. I personally felt that it was so bad that I dropped peach for ice climbers.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
I dropped sheik because I couldn't figure out sheik vs marth, tipper fair was my downfall every match

murderfinger

Smash Rookie
an animal with a blue hexagon that has goes by something that rhymes with docks really messes me up

Chris Guzman

Smash Rookie
Marth, no matter what character I use I can't beat Marth, I always lose to lower ranked Marth players and I get so frustrated and triggered playing against that character despite Marth being my main as well. Tried picking up Falco and Fox multiple times, separate times, and at the same time to try and play against Marth but I always just get zero to death'd every stock.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Really? Thats my favorite match. Once you learn grab combos and how to WD OOS effectively, that matchup becomes a lot easier.
Makes sense. I haven't even tried that mu in over a year so maybe it'd be easier now

TOVL

Smash Cadet
Fox&Falcon are very hard for me personally (plus they both beat ICs/Fox ditto)

Cassper

Smash Rookie
Of course there are breakdowns of how a character should do against another and a score to basically sum it up (Puff:Fox can be argued as 40:60 in Fox's favor to it being 55:45 in Puff's favor). However, not everyone plays characters in the same way and may fare better in a MU that is said to be terrible for you.

On that, what're YOUR worst MUs for your main(s), regardless of what is theorized?
I main fox and can't deal with the falco matchup. I just feel like i can't get in sometimes. Neutral can be frustrating with lasers but it gets pretty difficult to get around. The up side is that if I get a grab or up smash falco can't do much if I can follow up well. But I think that neutral game is what I really need to work on with this matchup.

SquizzleMaster

Smash Rookie
Of course there are breakdowns of how a character should do against another and a score to basically sum it up (Puff:Fox can be argued as 40:60 in Fox's favor to it being 55:45 in Puff's favor). However, not everyone plays characters in the same way and may fare better in a MU that is said to be terrible for you.

On that, what're YOUR worst MUs for your main(s), regardless of what is theorized?
Marth. Idk what it is, because everyone always tells me Shiek wins that, but i cant see it. The spacing always gets me, and i can never get close enough to start any combos/get kill moves. I dont think i've ever managed a set off a Marth in tournament.

Last edited:

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
Used to struggle with Luigi puff, but now I just counterpick young link. I struggle a lot with Luigi marth MU because I just get punished hard for Luigi's naturally poor aerial mobility.

dietsnapple89

Smash Apprentice
Marth is a pain in the ass the fight. His range is ridiculous. One bad DI and he can rack up a good amount of percent on Samus, even though he has a hard time killing Samus.

Synnett

Alligator Lord
I have a lot of trouble against Falco. It's not that I don't know what to do, but this matchup is so annoying that I don't feel like playing it. I get tilted very easily lol. Other than that there's the heavy technical Foxes but I'm starting to figure it out; they usually wait for me to commit then they go in, gotta work around that.

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
I have a massive issue with Luigi-Marth. I can never time any of my attacks quite right to get around his freaking disjointed sword.

Hombrero

Smash Rookie
Luigi - Marth, I like to always be in the air moving, and Marth's sword does not help.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
I fighting Marth. I friend of mine mains Falco and Marth and I like fighting Falco 10000x better, I can't seem to find a way to go around Marth's options. His dashdance + grab/aerial game mixup is too strong.

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
I fighting Marth. I friend of mine mains Falco and Marth and I like fighting Falco 10000x better, I can't seem to find a way to go around Marth's options. His dashdance + grab/aerial game mixup is too strong.
Stop running into them. Watch out for any specific dash dance pattern (many Marth players love to aerial after one or two dash dances), and make sure your shielding game is on-point. Considering your main, your punish game on Marth should be equally devastating, so don't get discouraged if Marth does a lot of damage (Marthritis is a thing). Abuse your superior frame data but watch out for crouch cancels.

P.S. Stop dash attacking into Marth's shield lol.

For me, Cap. Falcon wrecks me all the time. His speed overwhelms me and falling nair/up-air shutdowns my movement badly.

Last edited:

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
I personally love Captain falcon. I struggle a lot with Yoshi because he has almost zero representation in the current meta and the 20XX pack doesn't help either.

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
I personally love Captain falcon. I struggle a lot with Yoshi because he has almost zero representation in the current meta and the 20XX pack doesn't help either.
I love the Cap too when I'm playing as him, but I hate it when I have to play against him.

Yoshi with dat platform movement. I hate his eggs too for stopping all momentum >_<

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
I love the Cap too when I'm playing as him, but I hate it when I have to play against him.

Yoshi with dat platform movement. I hate his eggs too for stopping all momentum >_<
I only play Yoshi sometimes cause I see al the sick Prince combo videos in smash 64. Prince is a God at 64

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
How do you feel about Wizzrobe? His sets against Alvin at Shine 2017 was amazing.

Last edited:

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
How do you feel about Wizzrobe? His sets against Alvin at Shine 2017 was amazing.
I didn't catch that one but I did catch his set with Isai a while ago. I honestly think Wizz is a little overhype. He got clean 3-stocked by an undermotivated Luigi main.

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
I didn't catch that one but I did catch his set with Isai a while ago. I honestly think Wizz is a little overhype. He got clean 3-stocked by an undermotivated Luigi main.
aww rip.

I personally really like his aerial walling with Yoshi. Kinda reminds me of his melee falcon/hbox. It must be that Florida blood.

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
aww rip.

I personally really like his aerial walling with Yoshi. Kinda reminds me of his melee falcon/hbox. It must be that Florida blood.
I try to channel a lot of the soft knee edge guards into my falcon gameplay. I agree, Wizzy's aerial style is pretty reminiscent of the general wall out strategy. Most falcon kills are off the side, so you have to really work hard on building percent to land a good kill move.

Last edited:

Sprite

Smash Cadet
Faldo Andy fox in smash four, I don't know they're just kinda slippery to me I can't do anything to then. And since I'm a ness main I guess rosalina

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
Faldo Andy fox in smash four, I don't know they're just kinda slippery to me I can't do anything to then. And since I'm a ness main I guess rosalina
Do you have any tough Melee matchups? The thread is in the context of Melee.

Last edited:

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
I try to channel a lot of the soft knee edge guards into my falcon gameplay. I agree, Wizzy's aerial style is pretty reminiscent of the general wall out strategy. Most falcon kills are off the side, so you have to really work hard on building percent to land a good kill move.
Even though Wizzy's aerial walling seems mindless and easy to some people, the way he places his bair and up-air is just insane to me. PPMD has discussed a lot about intent in dash dancing and how every little distance covered during a dash dance can signal specific intention or potential action, and I feel like Wizzy does this in the air with his falcon, which is very impressive.

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
Even though Wizzy's aerial walling seems mindless and easy to some people, the way he places his bair and up-air is just insane to me. PPMD has discussed a lot about intent in dash dancing and how every little distance covered during a dash dance can signal specific intention or potential action, and I feel like Wizzy does this in the air with his falcon, which is very impressive.
Up air is really underestimated as a part of falcon's moveset. It is a very versitle move and is a great mixup as an approach. The knockback direction has a very wide variance, and I think wizzy can land it just right every time. It sometimes seems like a lot of Falcons play solely for that one offstage Stomp or Knee.

Top Bottom