• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Opinion on Judgement

How do rate Judgement's viability?

• Total voters

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
I want to know what people think of Game & Watch's hammer. I personally find it to be a great move. So long as you watch your numbers and have at least five gods at your side you'll get the numbers you need. I think G&W has some combos that feel like they naturally end with Judgment. I can always feel it in my gut when it's hammer time and I'm not usually left upset by the results. Maybe I'm just lucky but I usually find moments where even if I were to get a 1 I don't get punished. And I don't mean in a situational sense. I find a lot of moments where even if I flub the Judgement everything just kind of resets.
I played a lot of G&W in PM and started fiddling around with him in Melee only recently. Coming from a game where you can guarantee a 9 to a game where you can only be sure that you won't get the last two numbers you had is a bit hard. But once you adjust to Melee's higher risk and start managing the numbers you can get some mojo going.
Anyway I'll end it here. I'd like to know your thoughts. Hopefully there's never been a thread like this. I only looked on the first page.

Crezyte

Smash Apprentice
I feel like the first 2 hammers are always beneficial because 1 and 2 are the only really bad numbers. The only real problem is that there is often a safer (less risky) option that you know the follow-ups to before using it.

I'm going to put my vote as "good move" because there are some matchups in which I feel like hammer is the best follow up (peach, puff, samus) to a d-throw because you can't reliably combo them all the time.

runningbrave

Smash Journeyman
The hammer is absolutely a favorable option from a throw. The probability of getting a 9 is not bad. A 14% chance of throwing out a fatal 9 on each of the initial two hammer attempts is worth it for a character that has to otherwise work so hard for KOs. I often attempt the throw-to-hammer combo despite having the option to throw-to-Fair/Nair combo the opponent off-stage. However, I do not attempt throw-to-hammer if the opponent is at a high enough percentage to KO (or nearly KO) with throw-to-Fair/Nair.

With some experience you generally get a feel for:

-throw direction
-standing still or dashing
-short hopping, full jumping or double jumping
-which direction to throw the hammer

I like that GnW has the ability to KO opponents with one special move therefore I feel that 'It is a good move.' In my own experience I have found that the throw-to-hammer combo is the safest way to land a hammer and possibly a 9.

Use dat good 9 hammer, you apes!

Last edited:

Mr. S

Smash Apprentice
It's really situational if you're trying to get stuff done with it, but it's a super good move if your goal is to make people piss themselves with hype after comboing into a 9.

Dreyvas

Smash Cadet
You have to be really smart with when you're using it, namely when you're ahead. If you're throwing it out left and right in desperation you're doing it wrong.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Only when it's either that or something like N-air/F-air that would end the combo but not kill. For example, if there's a sheik recovering and lands on stage with a lot of lag, and I can punish with a charged F-smash to send them flying again, or possible go for the 9, you'll catch me in my grave before throwing the hammer.

Top Bottom