• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your most wanted non-character addition to the game

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I know you only free Male Robin (cause who cares about consistency, seriously, Jr. got the shaft).

Then that does raise the question of why they used Female Robin. Course, they use her more for menu stuff (and it really bothers me).

But, I'm no programmer, but, yeah, it's probably coded as some sort of special status affect or something. Now, as for the phantom fighters, no idea what those would be coded as.
I’m guessing equipping the Galeem and Dharkon Spirits you acquire after beating WoL doesn’t produce that effect. (Yeah to this day I still haven’t gotten the true ending rip)

As for why they used F!Robin (think I saw F!Corrin too as well as characters that normally have the Galeem aura instead in WoL like Lucario and Shulk) was probably just to illustrate that “status effect” being eventually usable in normal play, like to make your own WoL AU or something

Arthur97

Smash Master
I’m guessing equipping the Galeem and Dharkon Spirits you acquire after beating WoL doesn’t produce that effect. (Yeah to this day I still haven’t gotten the true ending rip)

As for why they used F!Robin (think I saw F!Corrin too as well as characters that normally have the Galeem aura instead in WoL like Lucario and Shulk) was probably just to illustrate that “status effect” being eventually usable in normal play, like to make your own WoL AU or something
I'm kind of doubting that. As far as I know, equipping those spirits doesn't induce that affect. Just checked, it adds a blue glow if in WoL, but it's the same for both, and I don't think it affects the eyes.

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
More modes after Home Run Contest.

I really hope Sakurai realizes that the fans have many ideas for new modes and ask them for input.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I'm sure we're all thinking it, but Subspace Emissary.
Speak for yourself. I thought SSE was hot trash. Awful level design, highly tedious, and with the plot of a teenager's fanfiction. It was cool seeing the characters interact in the cutscenes and that was the one and only redeeming thing about it in my eyes.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Speak for yourself. I thought SSE was hot trash. Awful level design, highly tedious, and with the plot of a teenager's fanfiction. It was cool seeing the characters interact in the cutscenes and that was the one and only redeeming thing about it in my eyes.
I mean, it was definitely flawed, no doubt about it. But, honestly I loved that teenager-fanfiction vibe. Honestly, that's probably my favorite thing about Smash, all these characters you love individually get to team up with other characters you love in some rad, fighting action!

Just like everyone else's criticism of SSE, more Nintendo themed level design, less tedious tasks, and more sweet buddy-cop cutscenes and I'd be so happy. I think it could be done, but making several levels that every single character can make it through seems very hard to design (looking at you, Little Mac).

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I mean, it was definitely flawed, no doubt about it. But, honestly I loved that teenager-fanfiction vibe. Honestly, that's probably my favorite thing about Smash, all these characters you love individually get to team up with other characters you love in some rad, fighting action!

Just like everyone else's criticism of SSE, more Nintendo themed level design, less tedious tasks, and more sweet buddy-cop cutscenes and I'd be so happy. I think it could be done, but making several levels that every single character can make it through seems very hard to design (looking at you, Little Mac).
It's not that it's physically impossible, but SSE was already more or less a complete second game in and of itself made by a whole separate development team, was it not? Going back and doing something like that again is one of those things that just seems so far beyond the realm of possibility to me. It'd be far easier to just make the cutscenes, frankly, and insert them in a much less ambitious mode of gameplay. Like Melee's Adventure but with SSE's cinematics.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Whatever they do, they really should make better use of some of the worlds. Even WoL was largely generic. Nintendo has some very recognizable worlds to use, use them.

If they did go a more platformer route, I'd also like to see more enemy types that aren't just weird made up things. Goombas, Koopas and Hammber Bros. are nice and all, but even the Mario enemies were barely scratching the surface.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
All past stages. We're so close, yet so far.
Even the superfluous ones like Corneria 64, Flat Zone, Flat Zone 2, Pictochat 1, and Miiverse.

Edit: If we're going extreme wants, then a toggle to make all stages tournament legal, whether as neutrals or counterpicks. For example, Kongo Falls would remove "the rock", Green Hill Zone could be similar to Project M's version, but the main stage could be like Castle Siege but instead of a straight diagonal stage, have a smooth curve to match the aesthetic.
If there were a way to disable wall infinites, then Rainbow Cruise would be a great stage. This would immediately make several stages viable counterpicks.

I just want a stage list as diverse as the characters.

Edit 2: Here's a quick sketch of a tournament legal Green Hill. The loopdeloop is still in the background.
But under my idea, every stage would have an option for a tournament legal form.
20190925_224809.jpg

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
All past stages. We're so close, yet so far.
Even the superfluous ones like Corneria 64, Flat Zone, Flat Zone 2, Pictochat 1, and Miiverse.
Miiverse is not superfluous! Miiverse is love! Miiverse is life!

Freakin' RIP. How did I forget the best stage in Smash 4?

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I could post my pipe dreams here, but if we're being real, all I want is the removal of the input buffer. And netcode that isn't complete garbage.

I have lots of fantasies for how Smash could be but these are the two things they can actually fix in the near term.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
A test of strength mode. A Mario theme mode where any selected character must break the bricks before time runs out.

A test of speed mode, another Super Mario themed mode where any selected character must race to the finish while avoiding thwomps and metal, beating the time limit.

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
An Updated Smash Run with online, customizable mini games, time, way more enemies, and multiple maps would be MORE than enough.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
I'd like to give the "real" characters the costume customization that Miis have, just like the accessory system in Killer Instinct 2013
like being able to change between Link's different BOTW gear sets in pieces, or giving Olimar different helmets and the ability to change the pikmin into different colored Bulbmin, setting Luma to the same color every time, different hairstyles for Villagers and the FE avatars, or a toggle wireframe/no wireframe for Mac, etc etc etc

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, a character customisation would be great but I'll be happy with just more costume for the full roster (like MR. L, motorcycle peach, Dry Bowser,...)

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
This game would be perfect to me with removed/reduced input lag and better netcode for online, those would be the dream, bare essential upgrades. If we got those, than just more, better modes for online. A tourney mode like 4 had with more options, Smashdown/Squad Strike online, an option to have your ruleset not compromised if the game can’t find a match soon enough in Quickplay/Elite Smash, etc. The more options/flexibility, the better.

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
More settings in the controls menu. For example, being able to turn off short-hop aerial tech or have a jump button for short-hop and another for full-hop. This is the only thing I plead for.

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
More new remixes in a hard rock/heavy metal style. Never underestimate the power of a guitar.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Two words: Spirit Descriptions.

The lack of context surrounding these characters is incredibly aggravating and only serves to devalue them. For god's sake, the individual games aren't even listed. If you're left asking "who's this?", you're not gonna drop everything and do a Google search just to figure it out, you'll probably continue playing and forget they existed. It's the only reason Spirits are not a complete upgrade to Trophies.

I understand this is a major undertaking and might not be feasible, but it's the thing I want the most beyond Fighters.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Yoshi should be able to eat food with his neutral special like kirby

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
1) Individual stage hazard toggles and Battlefield/Final Destination stage toggles. You can turn individual items on/off, why not hazards/forms?

2) Not finishing stage selection until start/+ is pressed. I don't know how many times I've picked a stage, but had it skip ahead immediately to the character selection before I had the chance to set a song/form.

3) Rematch option after fight. Sometimes you just want to go again on the same stage, it'd save us some time.

4) Supplementary Music DLC packs.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
2) Not finishing stage selection until start/+ is pressed. I don't know how many times I've picked a stage, but had it skip ahead immediately to the character selection before I had the chance to set a song/form.
I'm not sure what you mean. Does another player start the match? What situation are you describing?

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
A neat idea I had recently would be to take the cut-scenes idea from SSE and implement them into Classic mode. For example, in Street Fighter 4's arcade mode, you fight a certain number of battles and then have to fight your rival. Before you actually fight your rival, however, a cut-scene plays that showcases what both characters were doing leading up to the fight. I would like to see this idea implemented for Smash Bros. Think of the possibilities! What could have lead to Ganondorf fighting Isabelle, Snake fighting Wario, Ridley fighting Yoshi. There are so many possible combinations that could lead to some interesting (and hilarious) cut-scenes. This could be a huge improvement for classic mode, and really make it more worth going through with every character.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
A neat idea I had recently would be to take the cut-scenes idea from SSE and implement them into Classic mode. For example, in Street Fighter 4's arcade mode, you fight a certain number of battles and then have to fight your rival. Before you actually fight your rival, however, a cut-scene plays that showcases what both characters were doing leading up to the fight. I would like to see this idea implemented for Smash Bros. Think of the possibilities! What could have lead to Ganondorf fighting Isabelle, Snake fighting Wario, Ridley fighting Yoshi. There are so many possible combinations that could lead to some interesting (and hilarious) cut-scenes. This could be a huge improvement for classic mode, and really make it more worth going through with every character.
This is a neat idea which could lead to a thread topic of its own.

Like... who would you choose to be what character’s rival, and What would they do?

That was a neat feature SFIV had for sure, and now I want it in Smash!

Oddball

Smash Lord
There's bunch of things I'd like to see, a better Bonus round (different paths like Race to the finish had would have been nice), Hit the target, Spirit descriptions... etc etc...

However I'd willinging give all that up if you just give me a Captain N Mii costume. Give make that and I won't ask for anything more.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I'm not sure what you mean. Does another player start the match? What situation are you describing?
When you press A on a stage, that selects the stage and moves on to character selection. It's annoying in a game where there are several things to potentially set per stage per fight. Character selection asks for a confirmation after everyone is done, why not stage selection?

D

Deleted member

A Xenoblade stage that doesn't have to rely on battlefield form or omega form to be good. I like the idea of Gaur Plain, but the execution of it's regular form just isn't good.

Top Bottom