• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Your guys thoughts on Smash Tour(Mario Party)

TheBurningBadger

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChibiOfficial
3DS FC
4871-5711-3749
It's basically Mario Party except without a bowser space

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
It's a pretty barebones Mario Party.
I played it launch day with a friend and told him afterwards that we should never play that again.
However, I've played it a few times afterwards and it's really grown on me.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I honestly hate it and feel the development time should have been spent on characters like :wolf:and:lucas:. Plus in Mario Party, you don't have the option to let the cpu fight for you, and you can also pick your favorite character in Mario party, not be forced to play as your mii. The boards are bland unlike Mario party.

TheBurningBadger

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChibiOfficial
3DS FC
4871-5711-3749
I agree with you on that.....being stuck using your mii and development time being wasted on a board game is stupid

The Fail Tracer

The Universal Cosmic Tracer
3DS FC
2337-5641-4371
Smash Tour still hasn't really grown on me. I like Mario Party a lot, but Smash Tour just feels like a clusterfudge.

There's so much going on at the same time every turn, and everyone moving at the same time is just NO.

I don't like the whole bumping into people to start a battle thing either. It really disrupts the flow of the game when done like this. I personally would have a set amount of turns pass before certain battles if I could change anything... Maybe even a certain space could start a battle when landed on.

I dunno, something about bump-engaged battles is just so annoying to me.

I think Smash Tour is oversimplified compared to Mario Party, which inevitably has much more time and thought put into it.

Smash Run was great though.

TheBurningBadger

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChibiOfficial
3DS FC
4871-5711-3749
Smash Run is greatly better compared to smash tour.....I mean....you think Sakurai would at least give the Wiiu ver. A adventure mode

Darkwing

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2509-1864-0196
I find it to be a little too random. Especially considering how often a Tingle trophy is used. Never go for the fighter you want. You'll most likely just lose them next turn.

Vash_VisionZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vash_VisionZ
3DS FC
4596-9838-7829
Definitely needed some better explaining on how everything goes, but once I got the hang of it, I liked it. My girlfriend loves it though, and uses the pipes and trophy effects pretty strategically. That being said, I remember when it was cool to hate Sub Space Emissary when it came out, how it was boring and repetitive, now everybody and their mom is on about an "adventure mode".

Last edited:

KEWB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KEWB99
3DS FC
4511-0666-0442
I played on the 3 maps with the shortest amount of turns allowed to unlock Pac-Land and haven't touched it since. I may go back if I ever decide to go for 100% in the challenges, but I'm really not much of a completionist anymore and honestly HATED the mode from my experience with it. It's not quite as random and luck-based as Mario Party, which is a VERY GOOD THING, but it's ridiculously chaotic and can be hard to follow at times.

KEWB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KEWB99
3DS FC
4511-0666-0442
^see sakurai.....Mario party isn't for you
Believe me, I know. The mini-games can be fun, but I've always hated the luck-based board game that tied them all together.

That being said I never really had high hopes for this mode, but I was going to get Smash anyway so might as well try it right? Especially when a stage unlock requires you to.

Last edited:

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
It's ok indeed, but a proper adventure mode (not smash run) , would be better. We can all agree how stupid it is to say "people put those videos on internet so i will cancel a whole idea of adventure mode"

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
It's ok indeed, but a proper adventure mode (not smash run) , would be better. We can all agree how stupid it is to say "people put those videos on internet so i will cancel a whole idea of adventure mode"
Yeah smash tour is bad, I'd rather play cruel smash, as for Sakurai's decision about the cutscenes, and making smash tour a thing, Wolf sums up my thoughts perfectly.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
It's Mario Party

...if every single space on the board was Chance Time. Or if you haven't played Mario Party, think of Smash Tour as a regular Smash Bros. Brawl match where every step caused you to trip. Yeah. It's that bad.

You have no control at all over what happens due to how chaotic it is. Everything happens at once so fast that it's difficult to understand what just happened.

That being said, it's still better than Subspace Emissary for a single reason: you can unlock things from it without even playing it. I've been doing nothing by having my Gamepad passively play Smash Tour for the past three days and have brought in 75 new custom moves as a result.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
It's Mario Party

...if every single space on the board was Chance Time. Or if you haven't played Mario Party, think of Smash Tour as a regular Smash Bros. Brawl match where every step caused you to trip. Yeah. It's that bad.

You have no control at all over what happens due to how chaotic it is. Everything happens at once so fast that it's difficult to understand what just happened.

That being said, it's still better than Subspace Emissary for a single reason: you can unlock things from it without even playing it. I've been doing nothing by having my Gamepad passively play Smash Tour for the past three days and have brought in 75 new custom moves as a result.
I liked Subspace much better, but how do you play it? cpu? The fact that you can just make the cpu do everything really defeats the purpose of the mode, and really makes it feels like a waste of time. Even Mario Party at its worst is more fun than smash tour.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
At least the challenge are quite easy to unlock if you have 4 controllers/people to play.

D

Deleted member

I feel it's rather tedious and lacks the charm of Mario Party games. Honestly, if it were like Mario Party, I'd be all over it.

Zavanthar The Brave

Smash Rookie
I thought it was a pretty cool mode. Then I kept playing it over and over, and I realized it was not a thing I would play again at all, I got bored. I'm gonna keep playing it just because I need to complete a challenge, nothing else.

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
To be honest, if they patched the game to remove the tingle power up (and maybe a couple of the teleporting powerups) I might start playing it with friends. But as it stands this mode was poorly executed. For new players, it's way too confusing. For players that take the time to learn the subtleties of the game, it's far too random. Who is this game for???

That being said, fingers are crossed for a patch where they add multi-character stock smash to the Special Smash menu. Would be a damn shame if such a refreshing idea of a game mode was wasted in smash tour

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I prefer Mario Party 2 to Smash Tour. The tried to replicate the game's formula, but it didn't translate well into Smash Bros. I think this is more of due to a lack of variety in the matches. The only difference is usually just a different type of item spawning at the high rate. Also, this is more annoying than fun.
This is very similar to how they tried to replicate Kirby Air Ride into Smash Bros with Smash Run but Kirby Air Ride is still better imo. Although, I would glady have accepted a Smash Run in the Wii U version since it's still pretty fun and makes for a fun way to get money.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Smash Run is the superior mode in my opinion. Smash Tour is just horrible and once I beat the 3 remaining challenges I have left for it, I ain't playing that mode again.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
It's basically Mario Party except without a bowser space
... and all the things that make mario party fun. It's too random for me. I sometimes put my controller down and let it idle and end with more fighters than the AIs. Also it sucks that the AI difficulty is always so low, Can basically always just charge smash attacks and win. And even playing with 4 people, generally it ends before anyone fully understood what even went on. Never played a 4 player game of smash tour without at least 2 people saying "yeah... let's go back to smash"

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
I had to stomach it just to get Pac-Land. I didn't have fun at all and it was incredibly bare bones. I sometimes hated when the Explosives Match came along. God, the bombs weren't fun at all and I lost because one bomb sent me up in the air and then a bomb spawned in my area, detonated, and sent me launching. I lost and I was aggravated at the chances of that happening.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I had to stomach it just to get Pac-Land. I didn't have fun at all and it was incredibly bare bones. I sometimes hated when the Explosives Match came along. God, the bombs weren't fun at all and I lost because one bomb sent me up in the air and then a bomb spawned in my area, detonated, and sent me launching. I lost and I was aggravated at the chances of that happening.
Then there's that time when you finally get your main, only to realize they have custom moves and thus you lose them after the match. They should have just scrapped smash Tour and worked on more characters and just port Smash run to Wii U.

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
Then there's that time when you finally get your main, only to realize they have custom moves and thus you lose them after the match. They should have just scrapped smash Tour and worked on more characters and just port Smash run to Wii U.
Ouch. I can't say that had happened to me, considering I adjusted after reading their movesets. However, I do agree they should have scrapped Smash Tour. Smash Run was just awesome and imagine if there was online for Smash Run on the Wii U? That would have been amazing! Laggy for me, but still amazing.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Ouch. I can't say that had happened to me, considering I adjusted after reading their movesets. However, I do agree they should have scrapped Smash Tour. Smash Run was just awesome and imagine if there was online for Smash Run on the Wii U? That would have been amazing! Laggy for me, but still amazing.
The Smash run world in HD with HD enemies would have been epic, though unfortunately the closest thing we have to smash run on Wii U is Master Fortress and you can only attempt it at 8.0 or higher.

TealPlatypus

Smash Cadet
I don't like it. It lacks personality. The boards are bland and generic-looking, you're forced to play as a soulless Mii, and the battles don't have much variety to them. Smash Run was better.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
It doesn't strike me as something that is fun really, a lot going on but somehow manages to not be exciting IMO

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
I'm still not fond of the fact the only you can unlock a stage is too play all three stages of Smash Tour. It's as if they knew the overall reaction to this minigame would be negative, so they tried to give us an incentive to even stomach all three.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I think the final battle being a stock match with what is essentially time rules(most KOs wins) is a bit counter intuitive, especially to long time Smash Bros. fans. I lost one of the four times I played this mode simply because I didn't realise in time.

TealPlatypus

Smash Cadet
I'm still not fond of the fact the only you can unlock a stage is too play all three stages of Smash Tour. It's as if they knew the overall reaction to this minigame would be negative, so they tried to give us an incentive to even stomach all three.
Well, Sakurai did recommend in that article to "gather your Smash Bros. pals together and try the mode out, maybe playing three games to start." It's probably because the mode is so hectic and confusing that it takes at least 3 games before you can even understand what's happening. lol

The Smash run world in HD with HD enemies would have been epic, though unfortunately the closest thing we have to smash run on Wii U is Master Fortress and you can only attempt it at 8.0 or higher.
I agree. I would've enjoyed HD Smash Run a lot more than Smash Tour. Master Fortress is hardly worth suffering through the annoying earlier rounds of Classic mode, and the level itself is a joke once you learn how to deal with everything within it. Definitely underwhelming.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well, now that I beat the Smash Tour challenges, I am officially done with that mediocrity. They could've come up with something a whole lot better than that but instead created a mode that's completely dull and underwhelming. I do agree than a HD Smash Run would definitely get me on the drivers seat.

And as far as the Mario Party games are concerned, it feels like it's only getting worse and worse with every new game in my opinion. I'm curious as to how Mario Party 10 will turn out.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Alone? Not so great..

With Friends? One heck of a party.

KEWB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KEWB99
3DS FC
4511-0666-0442
Probably the worst mode in the game, which is really saying something tbh. It's disappointing because it's like there are tons of game modes and all I ever do is play FG. It's a good thing I love the core gameplay so much.

Raijinken

Smash Master
It's mildly entertaining for a while, but isn't nearly as fun as Smash Run. And of course, there's that stupid Metroid challenge that's entirely luck based that's been driving me insane.

Top Bottom