• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) Your favorite moment(s) from the drive?

Ether

Smash Ace
Prog getting emotional was my favorite for sure. I kinda got choked up just watching.

I wanted a Ken vs Chillin rap battle, but I fell asleep and can only assume it didn't happen.

Saiko

Smash Rookie
Been lurking and watching and donating and shizz. I want to say everything. This community really is amazing.

The thing that got me hyped was ST's sudden jump. The three-way dance made the whole thing so much more amazing.

On the smash side though, mine was probably M2K offering everything up-to and including sexual favors to everyone who would listen for donations for like the whole drive.

...Like, not even joking. It takes real guts to swallow your pride and ham it up. Dude was f***ing dedicated to the cause, and I respect the hell out of that.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I really enjoyed watching Oddler's stream when I could,and watching Mofat speedrun twilight Princess. But I'm a huge Zelda nerd, so that's to be expected I guess.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
I absolutely loved the twilight princess speedrun by mofat. The different clips of wombo combo while people were talking over it was absolutely hilarious. I started to cry a bit and my sides hurt slightly from laughing that much. The last day of the drive was the best part overall.

PureYeti

Smash Cadet
The progression from the start with mixed reactions :urg::laugh: towards to banding and organizing together at the end :starman::cry::bluejump:

Watching 4 different streams all night

DOA, SG, ST, MLP huge jump

Final Flash clip at the end. The music feels right for the countdown

Browny

Smash Hater
I liked the part where people pretended to like Skullgirls in an effort to seem humble in victory.

Its OK to be happy you won, but there seems to be some smugness around the place. If you didnt like SG before this drive, why on earth would an arbitrary sum of money raised by them, make you think twice about it.

Imagine if PSAB won, or virtua fighter? Would people suddenly try to 'reach out' and host a side tourney for them at genesis?

Sorry but it doesnt seem genuine, from a lot of people.

Not trying to start flames or anything, but I would be quite interested to see how people feel about SG within a month, and especially by the time EVO rolls around.

MajorMoses

Smash Journeyman
I liked the part where people pretended to like Skullgirls in an effort to seem humble in victory.

Its OK to be happy you won, but there seems to be some smugness around the place. If you didnt like SG before this drive, why on earth would an arbitrary sum of money raised by them, make you think twice about it.

Imagine if PSAB won, or virtua fighter? Would people suddenly try to 'reach out' and host a side tourney for them at genesis?

Sorry but it doesnt seem genuine, from a lot of people.

Not trying to start flames or anything, but I would be quite interested to see how people feel about SG within a month, and especially by the time EVO rolls around.
To answer your question about PSABR coming in second instead of Skullgirls (if that's what you meant by saying "won"), I highly doubt there would be nearly as much respect coming from us. But that makes the whole difference doesn't it? Sure, some people may not be very genuine, but I've always wanted to try out Skullgirls (just didn't have the consoles for it). And I know that the majority of the people here are impressed with what they raised and some people have gained interest in it.

Also, a lot of people aren't *******s so when the football game is over, we line up to shake hands.

Browny

Smash Hater
Yeah,

I'll admit during this I checked out SG too, read some forums and watched some videos. But for no reason other than 'this game has a very dedicated community just like smash, lets see what their actual game is like.' And I wasnt overly interested.

The fact that I've never even heard of an SG side event at any smash tournament ever, is what makes me think people arent being genuine in that they will legitimately try it out now. A community raising money is completely independant of whether people will enjoy their game. No different to if say, halo was involved in this tbqh. If the fact that another game community raised money is enough to make people want to play that game competitively, then so be it.
I can just very easily imagine that if ANY OTHER game (ones with these small tight-knit communities) came 2nd, wed see the same reaction here, as an appearance of humility.

I dont see how SG differs from any of those other fighting games vying for a spot, in terms of how it would be received by the smash community if suddenly thrust into our attention.

smopup

Smash Journeyman
I don't think people are "pretending" to like anything. I'd say a lot of it comes down to respect, which is something the Skull Girls community has earned so much of during this donation drive. Arguably, they are just as passionate as we are, but we happen to have a much more established community. The fact that they kept us on our toes the entire time really opened up everyone's eyes and raised awareness for the game. I don't see why there'd be any need to be bitter over the communities bonding. In fact, it's a ****ing amazing thing and needs to happen more often - both on Smashboards and SRK.

Oh yeah, favourite moments! Wombo Combo audio match up with GARBAGE DAY had me in tears. I was so skeptical about it working, but it was PERFECT. I'll never doubt Scar again, haha.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
All the ups and downs. MIOM made the lead huge, SG passed us, watched oddler's stream as we slowly caught up and Salsa/ batman happened. I said no oddler, you're looking at SG's donations, he said refresh. ST coming out of no where and slowly passing us, SG catching up in the last half hour and site crashing, then Kage saying on stream "No, we went up 10k".

Also, all the dBZ stuff was lulz.

This drive provided the most inside jokes in the shortest time span EVER. I can barely remember half of them but all you gotta say is final form and you'll get a laugh.

C_Ferris32

Smash Journeyman
The fact that between all of the games, over $250k was donated. That's pretty damn fantastic.

I was also quite fond of when they showed the reverse wombo combo on the stream. I had actually never seen it before. It's the little things haha

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
This, plus getting in donations in the last half hour was so random as the site kept going all internal errorish, and some people donated twice as they didn't think their first donation went through. >_>
Happened to me, I checked my e-mail and I'm glad I did.

Also, lets face it, putting your hands up to give your energy to melee was the best part.

:phone:

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I forgot one of my other favorite moments.

When Prog was showing off the prizes that he got from Nintendo World, along with the Hyrule Historia book and the Master Swords, there were these two pictures of Link and he kept talking about how you could color them with your preferred brand of crayons.

Calle W in the chat: "So you bought a coloring book?"

I was laughing for like 5 minutes straight just thinking about it.

#stupidwords

Top Bottom