• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Favorite Character That You Don't Main/Play

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Smash 4 has an unprecedently huge roster of upwards of almost 60ish characters. We only have so much time to dedicate to characters that we're either good with or are devoted to in some way or another. This means that there's likely a huge portion of the roster that players will not use regularly. So, what character (s) do you really enjoy despite not using them or maining them, and why?
To start off, I really like the idea of using Robin as a master strategist. He has potent tools in really powerful specials and the Levin Sword. His handicap is that these tools 'break' over time and that he's the slowest character in the game. I am enthralled at the challenge of managing your tools in the heat of combat.

Last edited:

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
:4robinm:: I enjoyed and appreciate the character idea in Sm4sh as well. I also liked his game as well. I only play this character for fun (rarely even then), though his mobility is something I put myself up with since it detracts from my playstyle.
:4tlink:: I dropped Toon Link in this game. Just favour Link more for his greater range and kill-power. Though I don't use Link much either.
:4link:: I don't pay much attention to him as much I used to anymore since I'm putting dedicated and serious investment into :4lucina: and :4ryu: (mostly Ryu nowadays this year). Those two just my attention more.

P.Kay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
plenty.kay
3DS FC
3153-8243-0352
Probably :4bowser:, the only reason I haven't gotten to him yet is because I've been focusing on Dedede and Wario.

Bowser has great potential however his speed can be an issue, definitely going to pick him up someday though. I've always wanted to play the Koopa king.

D

Deleted member

:4shulk:I love Xenoblade 1, Shulk was my most wanted newcomer and is one of my favorite video game characters, and I was so hyped when he was revealed. I don't main him because he's too complex for my liking; it's fitting for his gameplay style and the game he's from, but it can get in the way at times. I sometimes play as him for fun.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
:4zelda:
I only care about 4 characters in this game, and I care about 2 of them far more than the rest of the cast: Lucina and Zelda.
I love (the character) Zelda. I find her beautiful, I love how she plays, I think she has loads of potential and she's extremely fun. I have a blast playing as Zelda, and truthfully the only reason I don't main her is because I play Lucina instead of her. I wish I could dual main them, but I put a lot of effort into Lucina and that leaves little time for Zelda. That and my diminishing interest for Smash isn't helping.

D

Deleted member

As much as I'm a huge fan, I almost never play King Dedede. I feel he has less viable options than the other superheavies; I put more devotion into them (especially DK and Bowser) than I do the penguin king.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
I have six characters that I claim to never play, and my favorite out of them is :4megaman:.

Basically the only thing I know how to do with him is the Kameme combo, if it's not in the heat of the moment, and the most basic D-throw followups. Besides that, I have no clue what I'm doing most of the time, and yet I absolutely love watching players who do know what they're doing play the character. He takes a lot of skill and precision to get anything beyond the basic pellet chip damage, and integrating projectiles into the mix helps to balance out his weaker moves, making him interesting to watch. He has zoning tools, but they're not as broken as Sheik's. He has throw combos, but they're not as extensive as Mario's. He has comeback factors, but they're not braindead like Bowser's or DK's. But all of these in the right combination makes a character that should be respected and is really fun to watch.

D

Deleted member

I especially like playing all the female characters but I main :rosalina: and :4lucina:, not the others. However, I contemplate making :4bayonetta2: my secondary due to her kicking major ass with Witch Time and crazy combos which used to be zero-deaths in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
Of the characters I don't play much, :4palutena: seems the most interesting, as a character and fighter.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
I've used almost every character in this game at some point. I've had 5 mains and 6 secondaries overall. Robin, as I mentioned, is a character that just didn't pan out for me; it's still admirable to see a good one in action.
Another char I didn't use often but enjoyed is Bowser Jr. His moveset is quirky and he's got decent survivability. Not to mention an annoying (yet delightful) projectile in Mechakoopa. I never got used to his Up B after launch, unfortunately.
Another one that I just got into using is Falco. Despite his shortcomings, there are a few potent users of his online. I really like his bair and high jumps. And I appreciate his slower ground movement compared to Fox (I can't handle his speed comfortably).

Nah

Smash Champion
I invest most of my time in :4robinf::4corrinf::4lucina:

As a more for fun kind of thing, I also will sometimes play as :4samus::4palutena:.....and when I drink, :4zelda:

OSFrog

Smash Rookie
I mainly play as :4greninja:, :4pikachu:, and :4marth:, but I love playing :4mario: and :4falco: Also, I just found out that :4greninja:'s air dodge comes or the same frame as :4mewtwo:' s and has more intangibility frames. Who knew

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I haven't been playing Smash much these days but :4cloud:, :4link: and :rosalina: are the three characters I've spent the most time playing as. Other than them, I also like to play as the whole Fire Emblem crew, :4falco:, :4ganondorf:, :4littlemac:, :4megaman:and :4zelda:.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I like playing Lucario every once in a while because it's just too fun killing people at 60% from a stray smash attack. I don't main him, though, because his frame data is garbage, which really doesn't click well with me as a Mario main.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
My Favorite characters are charizard,mega man,link and ryu. I only use them for fun since their play styles don't suit me which is a giant shame. I like fox too.

Instead I use cloud and Lucina for serious 1v1 matches .spacing with a swordsmen is surprising fun.charging limit too!

Last edited:

LeWaddleDee

Smash Rookie
NNID
KoolKangaskhan
Being someone who plays a lot of :4drmario:, I of course enjoy :4mario:too. I'm not even sure why, but for some reason I've also been enjoying :4gaw: lately even though I know nothing about how to play him effectively. I think it's that his moveset is just really wacky and killing people with him is just hilarious.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Difficult bcI play a good deal, but I'd say Dark Pit, Zelda (both whom i USED to play but haven't for a long while), Bowser, and most of all, Lucario and Ryu, favorites because I love playing against them. Ganon vs Lucario is honestly my favorite match to play in the whole game, and I also lvoe fighting ryu with my characters.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
For me those would be :4shulk:, :4link: and :4corrin:, I like them specially Shulk I have been playing Xenoblade like mad man for quite a while, but I have better luck leaving them as secundaries, as for who I currently main those would be :4lucina:, :4feroy: and :4cloud:.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'd have to go with:4megaman:. He's always been a favorite of mine ever since the 3DS demo, and some of the stuff he can do is so stylish that it's borderline absurd, but I've always been too scrubby to use him to any sort of effect. I'd definitely give:4shulk:an honorable mention, though, since I absolutely love Xenoblade, but have never committed to learning Shulk.

JagerCrush

Smash Cadet
I really like :4ryu: as a character. I never played street fighter so I don't particularly know much about the character story but I really liked that they made his true inputs a thing so it utilized a very non-smash mechanic in smash. I also like that he seems to be a highly technical character, as I find most of the roster to be fairly simplistic and easy.

Also, :4megaman: just bc as a kid I loved MM2 and growing up I played a lot of Mega Man games, then eventually the X series on the PS1. He is a character that really feels like everyone wanted him in the game and he was crafted in a way that made him feel like Mega Man. Since I really am not a fan of campy, passive, or projectile heavy characters and prefer a more technical fast rush down style his game play doesn't appeal to me but I'll always have the fond childhood memories of his games so it's nice to see him in Smash.

Finally, :4shulk:, I played a little of Xenoblade, wasn't quite my cup of tea but it seemed a decent game. I liked how the monado arts were a very unique thing about the character that allowed him to be played very differently than anyone else (plus I love Kriby with Shulk bc monado Kirby is the best Kirby). He still feels just way too slow in general for my taste so I default to :4marth: when I want to play as a swordsman. I do really dislike that he has a counter bc I think counters are just overused in the roster. But it was nice to see an original Nintendo character that wasn't just hey let's take a character from Mario/Fire Emblem and put them in Smash.

Nick17

Smash Rookie
Probably :4jigglypuff:or:4greninja:.

:4jigglypuff: Because she's my main in Melee, requires a lot of patience in Smash 4 and continues to never get buffed. #buffthepuff

:4greninja: Because he's highly technical. I enjoy seeing more technical plays in tournaments. Despite myself playing :4mario:.

I don't even like Pokémon that much, I just really enjoy the characters.

Glitchy_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintend0pr0
:4palutena:. I love her because of Kid Icarus Uprising but I don't like her style in Smash except her aerials, Jab and Up B.

Dr. Cheesesteak

Smash Rookie
NNID
cheese47
3DS FC
1289-8230-5012
In Smash 4, characters I love but not only just don't main, but also just rarely, if ever, play are :4kirby::4luigi::4metaknight::4peach::4pit::4sonic::4zelda::4bowser:

oh reasons: their game play style or just me wanting to focus on other characters more.

Last edited:

TopTierVillian

Smash Rookie
Kirby and Zelda are pretty cool and I play them sometimes, but won't main them because I already play a much better character.

Hydgen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hydgen29
I main :4shulk:, but I find :4dedede: and :4jigglypuff: fun characters to play as in friendlies.
Gordo setups and rest kills are just so satisfying. Shoutout to anyone who mains :4dedede: or :4jigglypuff:.

#buffthepuff

:starman:

Last edited:

HerbsnSpices910

Smash Cadet
:4mario:: Was going to main him but not a fan of FLUDD in this game.
:4luigi:: Luigi is just wack. Gotta love those misfires.
:4wario2:: Love the Wario Land games. Rides his bike as an actual move.
:4ludwig:: Used to main him, coolest Koopaling.
:4ness:: Earthbound is amazing. A classic Smash Bros. character.

:4drmario: and :4jigglypuff: are my low tier mains. I'm not really sure if they apply in this case since I do use them, just not as regularly as my actual mains.

Pillowpet

Smash Apprentice
:4lucario: For sure I really like his aura mechanic combined with rage and he is actually pretty good in this game. However, I just don't get around to playing him and I kind of dislike his grab oriented play

Starkuss

Smash Rookie
:4megaman:, :4shulk: and :4yoshi:. I admire the amount of practice that it must take to master each of these characters since their movesets are so unique, but I can't see myself ever picking them up.

SN Kurse

Smash Rookie
NNID
benxbaker
:4bayonetta2: - Unpopular opinion maybe, but I sincerely love to see Bayonetta players. The character is very different in the way she works in comparison to any other character and has some crazy cool to watch combos.

:4morton: - Morton is a meme. I love him. I never see any koopa kid players really in the area, but Morton's the best.

:4falcon: - He's flashy and no one can say they don't enjoy seeing spikes and reckless combos

Top Bottom