• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Classic Your Classic Mode Nitpicks *Spoilers Warning*

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
The revamped Classic Mode is legit 1 of my favorite changes to SSBU. I'm excited to see what the theme of each fighter's route is & how it's realized in the choice of opponents and stages. However, the more I play this mode, the more I found myself thinking "Wait that's not right" with some of the matches. Like none of it is a deal breaker & at times there are some downright brilliant references being made. But then again there were also moments like:

General: Too damn many Master Hand fights. Like of course there should still be some hands here & there (:ultdk:, :ulticeclimbers:, & :ultmewtwo: use them effectively for example) but the MH-to-other bosses ratio is way too lopsided from the routes I've played so far. Apparently the wikia says that about half of all routes have MH battles, that's way too much!

General: Who even asked for Galleom to come back? I didn't like him back in Brawl! Always thought he & Duon took spots that could've been other famous bosses like a Robotnik machine or something. In Ultimate we could've gotten Porky or Rayquaza back, maybe Yellow Devil & Metal Face getting promoted to full boss status but nope, we're stuck with this literal who again.

Gernal: I've spotted no less than 4 different Sakurais in the end credits. Such blatant nepotism!

:ultness:: Maybe it's my lack of Mother knowledge but I'm not quite getting how Gerudo Desert & Luigi's Mansion fit into the theme. Other routes have doubled up on stages by using multiple forms so why not Battlefield Magicant & Omega New Pork?

:ultjigglypuff:: Her theme is SSB64 fighters & stages, with the last round being against the 4 unlockables. & yet the stage is Battlefield instead of SSB64's lone unlockable stage Mushroom Kingdom.

:ultpeach:: Should've had Giga Bowser instead of MH. Or was MH also a kidnapper? Well ok I guess in WoL he works for one.

:ultdaisy:: Poor:4wendy: is forgotten as a Nintendo princess :(

:ulticeclimbers:: Wow, :ultluigi: got disrespected here! Theme is iconic dups & :ultmario: is teamed with :ultpeach:.

:ultsheik:: Some of the choices for "Masked" fighters are a bit of a stretch. Especially when Libre :ultpikachu: would've been a better fit than most of them.

:ultfalco:: OK, so since when was Falco some warrior of the light? His route is against dark beings like :ultdarkpit: or :ultdarksamus:, & he is an opponent in Ganondorf's hero themed route. Was this a thing with him before?

:ultroy:: GANON HAS SWORDS! Roy's theme is sword wielders & yet his boss is MH again! UGH!

So yeah, vent your disappointments for the mode down below.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
:ultness:: Maybe it's my lack of Mother knowledge but I'm not quite getting how Gerudo Desert & Luigi's Mansion fit into the theme. Other routes have doubled up on stages by using multiple forms so why not Battlefield Magicant & Omega New Pork?
The theme is Ness's journey home.

Magicant is one of the last locations in Earthbound.
New Pork City is on theme for Lucas, but it's from Mother 3, not Earthbound. It could work for Moonside, I suppose, since it's a dark city.
Fourside is Fourside, of course.
There is a desert between Fourside and Threed, so Gerudo Valley stands in for that.
Threed is full of zombies and ghosts and some other spooky enemies when you first get there, so Luigi's Mansion stands for Threed.
Onett is the starting location in Earthbound.

There are other locations they could represent, of course, but given the limited number of battles and Earthbound series stages, it's actually good. Doubling up on stages would make it fit the theme less, not more.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
excellent ive wanting to say some of this, im still enjoying it but it doesnt feel the same without the little sequence of them turning back into a trophy and the little montage of the character at the end

kind of bothers me that not all of them kind with a fight against one of the bosses and some of the bosses feel like odd choices for the characters (why do the inkling fight marx?) and its a real shame that some series dont have bosses pokemon has loads of characters and doesnt have a boss? that strikes me a bit of a shame

also some of the themes feel a bit random and not stuck to (bowser just fights the red characters? im i get it but it seems daft, especially as he fights characters that arent red)

also dracula bugs me cause how were we non castlevania fans supposed to know to go for the head, i imagine non oot time fans had a similar problem with ganon

edit: also how some we cant play as the mii fighters in classic mode but can in everything else

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you gotta wonder why ken's theme is rivals and yet neither meta-knight and wario are in it but three characters who arent rivals are

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
The theme is Ness's journey home.

Magicant is one of the last locations in Earthbound.
New Pork City is on theme for Lucas, but it's from Mother 3, not Earthbound. It could work for Moonside, I suppose, since it's a dark city.
Fourside is Fourside, of course.
There is a desert between Fourside and Threed, so Gerudo Valley stands in for that.
Threed is full of zombies and ghosts and some other spooky enemies when you first get there, so Luigi's Mansion stands for Threed.
Onett is the starting location in Earthbound.

There are other locations they could represent, of course, but given the limited number of battles and Earthbound series stages, it's actually good. Doubling up on stages would make it fit the theme less, not more.
Gerudo Valley also acts as Saturn Valley as Mr. Saturn spawns often in that battle.
Theed also features an assist trophy that always calls Jeff which is where him and Ness first meet.

To answer the thread's question, I kind of wish that there was a way to do a randomized classic mode run as any character along with the fixed version just to have variety after I inevitably finish them all and want to try out certain characters against certain bosses easily.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
also dracula bugs me cause how were we non castlevania fans supposed to know to go for the head, i imagine non oot time fans had a similar problem with ganon
At least Ganon's tail glows! I was able to figure him out in about 10 seconds. I had to look up Dracula's weakness because I got impatient trying to figure it out.

Tyler730

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3464-1045-6817
Too many damn fighters fight the Hands. Here’s a list of fighters who fight certain bosses:
Master Hand with Crazy Hand appearing in higher difficulties
:ultdk::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultfox::ultness::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultsheik::ultdoc::ultpichu::ultlucina::ultganondorf::ultroy::ultgnw::ultzss::ultwario::ultike::ultlucas::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultlucario::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultridley::ultisabelle:

Master Hand and Crazy Hand together
:ulticeclimbers::ultmewtwo::ultchrom::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultdiddy::ultryu::ultincineroar:

Regular fighter (Mewtwo) with Master Hand right after
:ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer:
Crazy Hand only
:ultfalco::ultken:

Giga Bowser
:ultmario::ultfalcon:

Galleom
:ultdarkpit::ultsnake::ultrob::ultwolf::ultmegaman::ultkrool: (Note that :ultmegaman: fights Galleom in the penultimate round)

Rathalos
:ultyoshi::ultbowser::ultmarth::ultduckhunt: (Note that :ultbowser: fights Rathalos in the penultimate round)

Marx
:ultkirby::ultrosalina::ultinkling:

Ganon
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink:

Dracula
:ultluigi::ultpacman::ultsimon::ultrichter:

Other (giant) fighter
:ultjigglypuff::ultbayonetta:

In total, over half of the roster fights the hands. That’s a bit too much. I get that it is hard to come up with bosses for a lot of characters, especially with a roster of 71 fighters but I think more fighters should’ve fought other bosses instead. Still, this is the best classic mode yet.

Last edited:

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
Crazy Hand only
:ultfalco::ultken:
Ken fights both hands at higher difficulty. Falco probably does too, but I don't know for sure.

I also want to add "Bosses before the final fight" as incredibly stupid. I'm trying to 9.9 with all characters, and at least if the boss is last (like all those god awful Hands fights), I can try to play good enough to get 9.9 early and coast through the boss fight with tickets. It's hard, but I'm getting better at it and I've 9.9ed quite a few routes that way, especially the Fire Emblem swordsmen (and woman). On Bowser's route though, Rathalos keeps murdering me, and I can't ticket through it since it's too early to get a 9.9 before it.

Tyler730

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3464-1045-6817
Ken fights both hands at higher difficulty. Falco probably does too, but I don't know for sure.

I also want to add "Bosses before the final fight" as incredibly stupid. I'm trying to 9.9 with all characters, and at least if the boss is last (like all those god awful Hands fights), I can try to play good enough to get 9.9 early and coast through the boss fight with tickets. It's hard, but I'm getting better at it and I've 9.9ed quite a few routes that way, especially the Fire Emblem swordsmen (and woman). On Bowser's route though, Rathalos keeps murdering me, and I can't ticket through it since it's too early to get a 9.9 before it.
Bowser’s route is pretty hard. This is coming from a Bowser main. Everything is fine at first until I reach Diddy Kong. He is extremely fast and always lays hits on me and I barely do any damage to him. Compared to the fights before, Diddy is a huge difficulty spike. Also I agree that putting Rathalos before the final fight is extremely stupid. Should’ve had a horde of characters with red alts instead.

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
I gotta say, I find Ganon pretty hard as any of the Links. You cannot jump over him without using your third jump, which either leaves you open for an attack or gives him ample time to turn or leap away. It's not the difficulty per se, but it's so tedious to actually damage him.
I had no issues with Zelda, due to piercing projectile or just warping behind him.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
This Classic Mode is legit the best in the series. Still got some small quips about it, but overall, most fun I've had with a simple single player mode (i.e., not counting World of Light or Subspace) in a Smash game.

General: Who even asked for Galleom to come back? I didn't like him back in Brawl! Always thought he & Duon took spots that could've been other famous bosses like a Robotnik machine or something. In Ultimate we could've gotten Porky or Rayquaza back, maybe Yellow Devil & Metal Face getting promoted to full boss status but nope, we're stuck with this literal who again.
Aw, I liked Galleom. Smash doesn't have a lot of original bosses (not that it really needs that many over references to other series but I appreciate the diversity), so I certainly liked seeing Galleom come back as a "Brawl Veteran" of sorts. Duon or Rayquaza instead would've been nice, although I'm definitely glad Porky didn't come back, as that leaves open the possibility of him returning as a DLC fighter. Same can't be said for Marx, fortunately/unfortunately.

That segways into my main point, Marx. Poor Marx. Dude appears as an awesome boss, and only three characters get to fight him. That makes Marx the second least fought boss, right above poor Giga Bowser. I think :ultsamus:, :ultfox:, :ultness:, :ultfalco:, :ultolimar:, :ultvillager:, and :ultridley: all could've/should've had Marx as their final boss, and it's a darn shame he doesn't get more attention in this mode. It wouldn't be so bad if we could fight the bosses as any character, whether by playing a different character's route as a different character or through a Boss Battle mode, but alas.

Marx can be fought as any fighter you've unlocked so far in the north region of the Dark World, but only once. He can be fought infinite times during the final boss of the mode... within the second phase of a long, three phase fight, which is a boss rush of EVERY boss save for the hands.

And finally, the Classic Mode "rewards". Not the actual rewards like costumes and spirits/spirit board items, I mean A) The lack of character-specific ending montages, which were literally less than 6 seconds and would've been so cool?? and B) The Fighter Spirits, which are a hundred times lamer than the fighter trophies you got in past games, as they're just PNGs of official art from other games, not even with any quippy descriptions to go with them. You can't even use them like you can every other spirit in the game (as paradoxical as that would be, but you can still fight Mario while you have a Rock Mario spirit, so...?).
You can even fight Galeem and Dharkon while using a primary spirit of Galeem or Dharkon! Or one of the bosses in the boss rush with the spirit they give you from their initial defeat!

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Why does Galleom use Brawl's Boss Battles mode music (a remix of Melee's theme) instead of "Boss Battle Theme 1" from Subspace Emissary? The former theme was a generic tune applied to all of the bosses except for the Hands and Tabuu; the latter was exclusive to Galleom and Duon (and also just a more intense, battle-suitable piece of music in general).

This nitpick goes for World of Light too, of course.

Last edited:

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
Let's see...of the people who fight master hand...
Keep these :ultdk::ultsamus::ultfox::ultganondorf::ultgnw::ultsonic::ultolimar::ultlucario::ultvillager::ultgreninja::ultcorrinf:

Move these to Crazy Hand :ultdarksamus::ultwario::ultlittlemac::ultridley:

Move these to Giga Bowser :ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultzss::ultbowserjr::ultkingdedede:

Move these to Gallom :ultshulk::ultsheik::ultcloud:

Move these to Rathalos :ultlucina::ultrobinf::ultisabelle:

Move these to Marx :ultlucas::ultmewtwo:(Yes I know this one fights master and crazy shush)

Move these to Ganon :ultroy::ultpalutena:

And move these to Dracula :ultpiranha::ultpit:(Again, hush)

Feel free to ask about any of these by the way.

Last edited:

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
I would have Samus to be one of the ones to fight Rathalos. Her Classic Mode is all about doing bounties after all, so why not have the Boss from the series that involve hunting monsters to fulfill bounties, as her Classic Mode Boss.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Let's see...of the people who fight master hand...
Keep these :ultdk::ultsamus::ultfox::ultganondorf::ultgnw::ultsonic::ultolimar::ultlucario::ultvillager::ultgreninja::ultcorrinf:

Move these to Crazy Hand :ultdarksamus::ultwario::ultlittlemac::ultridley:

Move these to Giga Bowser :ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultzss::ultbowserjr::ultkingdedede:

Move these to Gallom :ultshulk::ultsheik::ultcloud:

Move these to Rathalos :ultlucina::ultrobinf::ultisabelle:

Move these to Marx :ultlucas::ultmewtwo:(Yes I know this one fights master and crazy shush)

Move these to Ganon :ultroy::ultpalutena:

And move these to Dracula :ultpiranha::ultpit:(Again, hush)

Feel free to ask about any of these by the way.
Most of these I can see the correlation, but why Piranha Plant w/ Dracula? Not like Piranha Plant fighting Rathalos made much more sense, but I'll take it over another Hands fight.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I guess more bosses tbh. Dr. Wily's AT could have been Mega Man's boss. A proper Metal Gear as a Snake boss. These are big requests, but also Dr. Robotnik's Death Egg Robot, Medusa, Andross's head from 64.

And instead if having so many Master & Crazy Hand fights, I was hoping Master Core and Tabuu would have returned.

Last edited:

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
Most of these I can see the correlation, but why Piranha Plant w/ Dracula? Not like Piranha Plant fighting Rathalos made much more sense, but I'll take it over another Hands fight.
The reason why Plant fights Rathalos is probably because Rathalos hails from another newly represented franchise, instead of fighting a Boss from a new franchise already represented though the game’s Newcomers.

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
I admit P.Plant's placement is for more Drac fights but hey, Castlevania is still really new here so I feel it works for New Bloom.

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
Steering away from the hand discussion, I don't like the bonus stage in classic mode. It's not bad per se, but repeating the same stage with every character gets old fast.
They could have left it out and I would not miss anything.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Steering away from the hand discussion, I don't like the bonus stage in classic mode. It's not bad per se, but repeating the same stage with every character gets old fast.
Just run left and die. It's such a waste of time

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
The reason why Plant fights Rathalos is probably because Rathalos hails from another newly represented franchise, instead of fighting a Boss from a new franchise already represented though the game’s Newcomers.
I admit P.Plant's placement is for more Drac fights but hey, Castlevania is still really new here so I feel it works for New Bloom.
Both of these make more sense now in hindsight.
It's a real shame, I think it would've been a lot cooler if they did something like Board the Platforms or Break the Targets instead, and have unique layouts for each character, which is a tall order, but still, I think the team could've made it work. Or at the very least, have different layouts of the Bonus Game for each character.

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
Do you know what a bonus is?
Break the targets and board the platforms were mere bonuses as well, but at least they were fun.
It started going downhill when all characters got the same btt stages. Now we got a stage that's even less interesting.

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
I'll give the bonus race this, it's at least short if you want extra points. Still kinda wish each fighter had a special break the targets stage. In fact it's something I'd be willing to pay money for I say as I wink aggressively at Nintendo.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I guess liking the bonus race is an unpopular opinion. I find it visually pleasing to say the least and it definitely tops 64's race to the finish. If this had branching paths it could compete with Melee's race to the finish. I personally like trying to speedrun and collect much points as possible. I'm also certainly glad to even have this as the result of no minigame from the last game extremely disappointed me.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
you gotta wonder why ken's theme is rivals and yet neither meta-knight and wario are in it but three characters who arent rivals are
On this topic, I had a thought; Dracula is technically a rival to the Belmont clan. What if we fought him on higher difficulties, and Crazy Hand on lower difficulties?

On the OP's topic, the way intensity raises is BS. Love the concept, but finishing a stage as fast as you can without taking damage and nothing but? That is such close-minded horse waste it makes me wanna break my Switch in two sometimes.

And if you were hoping to use a ticket if you die on 9.8 to get to 9.9, nope. It just stays on 9.8.

Other than that, I don't need say what everyone else has said about too many Hand fights.

Last edited:

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
And if you were hoping to use a ticket if you die on 9.8 to get to 9.9, nope. It just stays on 9.8.
That's not that bad. Actually makes some sense, and I would have most likely done the same thing if I was designing a Classic Mode like this.

No, what's a real kick in the balls is finishing all the fights without dying, seeing the numbers go up at the end, and they still stop at 9.8. ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME REALLY!?!?!

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I was kinda worried that the Fighter Pass characters' Classic routes would just be a rehash of PP's if not just a generic...something unified route, but glad I was wrong.

Though I will say this--in Joker's route, Master Hand should've been fought in Round 1 to mirror Igor, and Marx be the end boss.

Top Bottom