• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your biggest weakness? Whats holding you back?

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
I figure this do us all some good with the upcoming nationals

The entire purpose of the thread is to re-examine ourselves a little and to come up with solutions for each others weaknesses.

Also because Pound/Whobo is coming up a lot of us are actually gonna have the rare opportunity of having 3-4 days to play with each other. For the most part we're staying in the same area so we can definitely smash a lot and ofc I use most viable characters pretty well or decently and I'm sure you Lucarios have good seconds if people need MU related help.

So yeah, don't be shy, what are your biggest weaknesses and what have you tried to fix it, what is it about your play or the game that makes it a weakness, etc.

Got this idea from raz, its pretty ****.

I feel sometimes I'm helpless in landing vs characters I don't fully understand, like metaknight, marth, or diddy.

I succumb to pressure pretty easily, and I think my biggest weakness is not knowing the time and place for gimmicks and mix-ups.

I also have a really hard time figuring my biggest strengths and how to make my play better =\, I'm a tad slow at figuring people out and reading as well.

My Edge game could use some work, and I'm a tad too reliant on not fully charged AS as opposed to holding a full AS.

So what about you guys?

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
Got this idea from raz, its pretty ****.

I feel sometimes I'm helpless in landing vs characters I don't fully understand, like metaknight, marth, or diddy.

I succumb to pressure pretty easily, and I think my biggest weakness is not knowing the time and place for gimmicks and mix-ups.

I also have a really hard time figuring my biggest strengths and how to make my play better =\, I'm a tad slow at figuring people out and reading as well.

My Edge game could use some work, and I'm a tad too reliant on not fully charged AS as opposed to holding a full AS.

So what about you guys?
With landing against Diddy, try to land on a platform or out of banana throw distance which is much easier to say rather than do. Or if you have to land on the ground, what I do is Z catch the banana right before you land, might get grabbed but better than getting faired. Against Marth...ask someone else. And MK good luck.

Yes you don't know when to use gimmicks and mixups. Like last saturday when you played Mike(Was it a MM?) You were able to safely double team but after the second time you kept trying which got you punished. He kept getting you with ledgehopped bairs and you got hit by them too many times in a row.

Not having a full AS was the very first thing I noticed. Explain yourself MISSter.

Pretty much everyone knows my weakness. Anger and frustration during a match. And its near impossible for me to calm down even after the match has ended which explains why I got last at the tourament last Saturday. A weakness I know but near impossible to improve on.

Another weakness is if I get sent off stage against aerial characters...namely MK. I basically panic and go blank as to how to get back on stage.

The last one I can think of is when I'm going up against someone who plays to time me out. If they play that way, just losing the lead by 1% sends my frustration through the roof since I can't think of any way to get a lead again without getting more damage on me.

culexus・wau

With landing against Diddy, try to land on a platform or out of banana throw distance which is much easier to say rather than do. Or if you have to land on the ground, what I do is Z catch the banana right before you land, might get grabbed but better than getting faired. Against Marth...ask someone else. And MK good luck.

Yes you don't know when to use gimmicks and mixups. Like last saturday when you played Mike(Was it a MM?) You were able to safely double team but after the second time you kept trying which got you punished. He kept getting you with ledgehopped bairs and you got hit by them too many times in a row.

Not having a full AS was the very first thing I noticed. Explain yourself MISSter.
Diddy stuff is ****, thx.

Ledgehop bair is gay, idk what to do! texas help me </3 Rockettrainer trela namesearch!

NFC AS and even half charge is better then full charge, thats why ;)

Pretty much everyone knows my weakness. Anger and frustration during a match. And its near impossible for me to calm down even after the match has ended which explains why I got last at the tourament last Saturday. A weakness I know but near impossible to improve on.

Another weakness is if I get sent off stage against aerial characters...namely MK. I basically panic and go blank as to how to get back on stage.

The last one I can think of is when I'm going up against someone who plays to time me out. If they play that way, just losing the lead by 1% sends my frustration through the roof since I can't think of any way to get a lead again without getting more damage on me.
The sooner you realize getting angry is a waste of time, the sooner you'll stop getting angry,
it also helps that you don't think you're going to beat so and so before you actually play him, if you think of him as below you and take him for granted before playing him and lose to him, you're obviously going to get angry.

I can't really say anything besides think dude, we have lots of options for getting back... except vs mk and marth <.<

agaisnt people who AIM for time-outs 1-10% isn't a big deal, just play patient until you can get a hit.

its when they get the large leads that require one or two hard reads to get back is when it becomes a problem, but 1-5%? pshhhhhhhhh thats nothing.

Red Ryu, D disciple, mythttrainerinifnity, steam, zucco, junebug, phil nye gogogogo

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
B Reverse AS, so you can BAir Marf as he BAirs you if you must. The wtf disjointedness of BAir can really make for some nice mindgames.

Also BAS when returning on the stage can mess up people's spacing.

Both of these are not exactly the safest, but they are an occasional good mixup. If all else fails try to DI higher then.

Double Team is better than I thought it was to be honest. Against characters with projectiles it can really help reset a situation if you do not want your shield pressured and it kills rather early.

Against someone like Marth... Double Team should be used rarely if at all. If you mess it up... TIPPER FSMASH!

One of the biggest weaknesses of Lucarios I think is... We don't know all of our options. Practice Double Team against characters like TL, Pika, Falco, you will notice your shield will get a lot less *****. DTilt kills earlier than UTilt near the edge. DTilt sends people in a direction that makes it extremely hard to DI.

Follow up stuff. What do you do when you whack someone's shield and force them off of a platform? Anticipate if they do a quick air attack on you and fastfall shield.

Shield DI grabs and punishes, Air Walking OoS, the list goes on, but Lucario has a lot of options. Practice hitting with moves you infrequently or don't use even if its against CPUs, that way you'll get more comfortable using them.

Let's see my weaknesses...

I land too close to people and get grabbed a lot.

I need to stop directly attacking people's shields so much.

I go on autopilot too much and forget to just walk away slightly to space.

Still can't do the "Ken Flash" Broversal frequently...

I wait for my opponent to make an error instead of baiting my opponent into an unfavorable situation. Which isn't a bad thing, but... if they are good with the basics I'm going to have a hard time winning with my default playstyle.

People trying to time me out RAAAAARRRGHHHH.

I do more mindgames when I'm in the lead, but not when I'm losing.

I end many of my strings too early.

I use Air Walk religiously (but nobody has really punished me too hard for it yet).

Yeah, mostly spacing, pressure, and mindgame issues.

Steam

Smash Hero
my problems... errr....

Being in Colorado and being stuck with mostly wifi. that has obvious issues. Along with the fact that I have little diddy experience to speak of.

I get hit by tourney fatigue really hard, I'll make big upsets early in the tourney then fade.

I have a mindset problem. It usually hinders me to the point where I go even with people I'd solidly beat. it ties back in to the tourney fatigue thing as well.

I haven't played offline recently enough to know anything specific other than always following up a SH fair with nair or dair. But that's something that developed in the last month from playing so much wifi and will work it out.

I still don't think I use tilts enough. I'm considering playing friendlies the next time I can with attack stick.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
My largest weakness is not understanding lucario's moveset.*

Gimp with lucario? I hate it, and I almost never do it. It will seriously take less time to get them to 200 before I gimp. Granted there are some exceptions. But I would rather stay on stage and learn to guard from the edge. Edge-guarding is just so stupid to me. I don't even *try to kill anymore I just want the damage. I would seriously do better with ANY other character.

I also tend to rely on jab, people get extremely close very easily and jab is one of those "gets it done" moves :/ I have the same problem with samus (1st hit gtfo).

I have a million other things but I won't waste my time for a lack of a response.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I'll admit, consistency is my biggest issue. I don't get to tournaments enough so I end up playing "from sqaure one" a lot which is good and bad.

My mixups need work, and I need to play safer <_<

My pressure is flat, I need to work on that since I tend to be aggressive w/ Lucario mostly. If I can't get pressure, I can't make my opponent do what I want him to do and get more reads.

I need to learn Snaaaake, nothing is safe to truly "approach" with in that MU, it seems like you have to fake him out a lot.

Against MK, I need to work on being faster in reaction b/c it's important for when he starts to mix more ftilts and the like in. I also need to spend less air time, and find more creative ways around his waiting game more.

I need to use AA -> grab less, I get punished often for that b/c I don't mix up on certain chars.

I guess I could camp more, I think BAS is better than most give it credit for (but not as much as FCAS), since it annoys the opponent and hits aerial opponents safely pretty well, also forces more impatient players to run (that's something I'm good at, I punish dashes really well).

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I actually do the opposite, I usually do more of my BAS until I'm at high percents, because that's when I want it to be a punish/finisher (and I hate it when you've used all that time to charge it only for it to get out prioritized by something dumb). Although I still use FCAS at low percents as well.

culexus・wau

Let's see my weaknesses...

I land too close to people and get grabbed a lot.

I need to stop directly attacking people's shields so much.

I go on autopilot too much and forget to just walk away slightly to space.

Still can't do the "Ken Flash" Broversal frequently...

I wait for my opponent to make an error instead of baiting my opponent into an unfavorable situation. Which isn't a bad thing, but... if they are good with the basics I'm going to have a hard time winning with my default playstyle.

People trying to time me out RAAAAARRRGHHHH.

I do more mindgames when I'm in the lead, but not when I'm losing.

I end many of my strings too early.

I use Air Walk religiously (but nobody has really punished me too hard for it yet).

Yeah, mostly spacing, pressure, and mindgame issues.
Make a habit of holding away and up after attacking someones shield or before landing, you'll get punished a lot less.

Attacking shields is fine if you space or read well after a fair.

just spam baits.

You have to play really safe vs people who aim to time out.

thats not a weak-ness, just a common preference, I for one hand, do the exact opposite.

in what way?

teach people to uair/fair/nair out of shield or abuse your lack of no jump, you'll get punished.

my problems... errr....

Being in Colorado and being stuck with mostly wifi. that has obvious issues. Along with the fact that I have little diddy experience to speak of.

I get hit by tourney fatigue really hard, I'll make big upsets early in the tourney then fade.

I have a mindset problem. It usually hinders me to the point where I go even with people I'd solidly beat. it ties back in to the tourney fatigue thing as well.

I haven't played offline recently enough to know anything specific other than always following up a SH fair with nair or dair. But that's something that developed in the last month from playing so much wifi and will work it out.

I still don't think I use tilts enough. I'm considering playing friendlies the next time I can with attack stick.
Wifi is fine if you think a lot.

Drink more fluids during tournament, if it doesn't affect your performance snack a bit too.

state the mindset problem?

Keep a notebook that you refresh yourself with every tournament, it helps imo.

Tilt Guide

Ftilt- Spacing, premptive Anti-Air/Anti-Dash Move, down angled ftilt is good vs some recoveries.

Dtilt - Safe poke, Premptive Anti-Dash Move, Ghetto Anti-Air.

Up-Tilt - Anti Air, Fast counterpoke to be buffered, Quick Launcher, Post-Throw option.

My largest weakness is not understanding lucario's moveset.*

Gimp with lucario? I hate it, and I almost never do it. It will seriously take less time to get them to 200 before I gimp. Granted there are some exceptions. But I would rather stay on stage and learn to guard from the edge. Edge-guarding is just so stupid to me. I don't even *try to kill anymore I just want the damage. I would seriously do better with ANY other character.

I also tend to rely on jab, people get extremely close very easily and jab is one of those "gets it done" moves :/ I have the same problem with samus (1st hit gtfo).

I have a million other things but I won't waste my time for a lack of a response.
A lot of lucario's Moveset is baiting oriented because they're slow but lack post-lag.

Aggressive Edge guarding [going for damage] is usually the best, but if you put them at angle they can't recover at, just stop hitting them really.

Kill them when they're trying to get up from the edge though.

Jab/Grab/Shield/Dash Attack/Grab/Pivot Grab are your mix-ups for up close

Post them anyway

I'll admit, consistency is my biggest issue. I don't get to tournaments enough so I end up playing "from sqaure one" a lot which is good and bad.

My mixups need work, and I need to play safer <_<

My pressure is flat, I need to work on that since I tend to be aggressive w/ Lucario mostly. If I can't get pressure, I can't make my opponent do what I want him to do and get more reads.

I need to learn Snaaaake, nothing is safe to truly "approach" with in that MU, it seems like you have to fake him out a lot.

Against MK, I need to work on being faster in reaction b/c it's important for when he starts to mix more ftilts and the like in. I also need to spend less air time, and find more creative ways around his waiting game more.

I need to use AA -> grab less, I get punished often for that b/c I don't mix up on certain chars.

I guess I could camp more, I think BAS is better than most give it credit for (but not as much as FCAS), since it annoys the opponent and hits aerial opponents safely pretty well, also forces more impatient players to run (that's something I'm good at, I punish dashes really well).
Keep a notebook to refresh whenever you go to tournaments.

List all your options, this helps a lot when coming to mix-up.

For pressure just fair/jab/AS charge stance a bunch, those are our safest forms of pressure imo.

Snake is EZ to learn.

Camping Snakes: Trade Damage all day until he gets into the corner, then camp from the middle and bait him and make him feel uncomfortable for damage/kills.

Abuse his slow grab with lots of safe pressure.

If you have space, double team explosives so you're not forced to shield or roll.

Aggro Snakes: This one is a little harder imo, You'll have to "stop" using AS after using AS a lot vs these guys, everyone expects it so you should just save it for when you really need the kill/interupt option.

Randomnize your dthrow wake-ups by either mashing on wake-up or just try to make a new pattern every match.

BAIT TILTS THEY'RE UNSAFE ON BLOCK.

SH dair to beat dacus or dash attack in the open.

Shield DI is really good vs delayed MK ftilt, as is dropping shield after the 1st hit and DIing into him and of course, stutterstep Fsmash.

Jab option selects are rapeeeeeeeeeee do them~

Lucario doesn't camp with BAS.

He camps with a % lead and holding AS charge and abusing OOS options, that is all.

I don't handle pressure well.

The options I pick are terrible.

I get predictable mid match and drop mix-ups.
think more about what you're opponent is wanting to do.

with experiance, you'll find what the most "practical option" is, with more experiance, you'll learn when to use the most practical option and when to mix-up.

Thats player specific, I can't really tell you anything besides to STOP IT.

come on guys help other lucarios I can't be the only one here :urg:

Browny

Smash Hater
My inability to camp indefinitely.

I can do it for like 15 seconds before I get bored and try something else.

I guess I just prefer games where the aim is to attack the enemy :/

culexus・wau

My inability to camp indefinitely.

I can do it for like 15 seconds before I get bored and try something else.

I guess I just prefer games where the aim is to attack the enemy :/
Camp in front of people.

AlexoftheAura

yaylatias.gif
NNID
AlexoftheAura
The only consistent source of practice I get doesn't require that I think while I play him.

Because I can very rarely get to tournaments I have trouble motivating myself to practice at all, kind of seems like a waste of time if there's nobody to play :/

I would start using wifi for practice but I get frustrated by it easily due to a crap connection messing up my ES curves when I try to recover among other things.

culexus・wau

it doesn't require but you can.

You don't have to play lucario to learn how to read people.

Just play Snake and try to guess what people do and do what beats that.

once you learn the guessing game with snake you can learn it with lucario [this is of course if you're playing wifi, with offline friendlies you should THINK THINK THINK THINKTANK all the time WITH LUCARIO]

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
I see Flamey finally seen the light in the fight against Snake. A straightfoward matchup but doesn't mean its easy by any means...like Yoshi is for us.

With Snake, sure you may know the range of tilts but do you really know? I found nice success against Snake by staying a bit out of his tilt range, close enough to punish but far enough to get hit. I found another mindset which is good against Snake: "I will not get up tilted." That mindset has made me live on each stock against Snake for quite a while (about 170ish before dying to jab or ftilt)

culexus・wau

btw uptilt is only strong around jab range

so don't be in snake's jab/grab range in kill % and you should be good.

Procarios should be contributing in this thread imo

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Come on...

All of you have to admit.

You don't roll enough.

mmmhmm

Saltix

Smash Lord
Stop telling people how to defeat yourselves you guys
what have we come to

with that being said
****ing ZSS is holding me back as a Luc main, I cant beat her :(

-Mika

culexus・wau

Stop telling people how to defeat yourselves you guys
what have we come to

with that being said
****ing ZSS is holding me back as a Luc main, I cant beat her :(

-Mika
***** </3

If we band together and solve eachothers problems, they obviously won't be something exploitable anymore will they?

What about ZSS is hard for you? She's my second best character sooooo

culexus・wau

bull**** being interesting or bad is subjective.

thats a problem you'll have to solve on yourself.

I love bull**** to be honest, but only the ridiculous type of bull****.

prob why I like smash so much <3

Steam

Smash Hero
I hate winning/losing because of aura tbh. lol

whenever I lose because of it I feel cheated.

whenever I win because of it I feel like I didn't earn it

Steam

Smash Hero
I couldn't main a character in this game not named lucario. lulz. though at this point I'm a MK main in denial

culexus・wau

A lot of the greatest lucario players we've are MK mains that plays lucario sometimes/in doubles.

so don't feel bad lol

Steam

Smash Hero
MK just kinda feels like uber upgraded lucario with no AS. :S

I just kinda enjoy him more, Lucario is taxing >.>

Steam

Smash Hero
well... using lucario in tourney for me is kinda like me using meter in another fighting game... I'm better when I use him... but I can only use him so much before my brain turns to jelly.

Top Bottom