• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Young Link's Dair, does it still have the fire spike?

NNID
Megamanxtreme247
3DS FC
0233-0693-2297
Switch FC
1389-8562-4404
Since our brave little green clad hero of time has made his epic comeback in ultimate, this question has been on my mind for quite some time.

Does anbody know or have at least seen any footage of young link having his fire meteor spike from melee? It was always one of his best kill tools and greatest spikes in the whole game, so I'm just curious to know whether or not he still has it or has sakurai removed it entirely?

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
So far I haven't seen any footage of Young Link's Dair spiking any of his opponents. It might've indeed been removed from the game entirely but I don't know for certain if that's actually the case.

I've never really played Young Link in melee before. How exactly do you perform his fire meteor spike in melee?

NNID
Megamanxtreme247
3DS FC
0233-0693-2297
Switch FC
1389-8562-4404
So far I haven't seen any footage of Young Link's Dair spiking any of his opponents. It might've indeed been removed from the game entirely but I don't know for certain if that's actually the case.

I've never really played Young Link in melee before. How exactly do you perform his fire meteor spike in melee?
Well it's like this, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It's actually just random, but I have seen it spike opponents in melee though.
You just hit yink's dair and the opponent is engulfed in flames and spiked into the abyss. Highly effective.

Last edited:

Bynine

Smash Cadet
Well it's like this, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It's actually just random, but I have seen it spike opponents in melee though.
You just hit yink's dair and the opponent is engulfed in flames and spiked into the abyss. Highly effective.
it is consistent, just very difficult to land, as the spike hitbox is the highest one, around young link's chest. the easiest way to land it, i've found, is to use a down air while rising, colliding with an opponent who's falling or on a platform above you.

i hope it's in ultimate, as it was a flashy kill option both on and off stage!

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Yeah rising dair used to be the guaranteed way to hit with it in melee. Assuming it is in ultimate, it should be easier to hit since offstage play is much safer considering air dodge reads being more common in this games mechanics.

Even better is if you can do aerials whilst holding a bomb in hand, it should be even more safe.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Despite the abundance of Young Link match videos, I haven't seen a fire spike yet.

Bakasama

Smash Apprentice
Young Link cannot meteor on downair at all, I tried both tipper at start of move and the head hitbox from melee just now. I'm a melee player, so I know how to hit it.

Smash Apprentice
Young Link cannot meteor on downair at all, I tried both tipper at start of move and the head hitbox from melee just now. I'm a melee player, so I know how to hit it.
RIP.

Oh well, he's already really good in Ultimate. I will miss it though.

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice
How many tries did you have? I don't doubt your skill, but I guess I just want to keep hoping the spike remains, but maybe in a hard to hit way. It seems weird to me to remove it. They had so much care in bringing his melee form back. And it was one of his coolest kill options.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Here to confirm I can't get any spike of any sort with Young Link. Not even with the old head hitbox.

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
Here to confirm I can't get any spike of any sort with Young Link. Not even with the old head hitbox.
That's a shame. Getting the Dair spike with Smash 4 Link was extremely satisfying. It's disappointing that we won't be able to pull that same sort of satisfaction with Young Link's Dair

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
That's a shame. Getting the Dair spike with Smash 4 Link was extremely satisfying. It's disappointing that we won't be able to pull that same sort of satisfaction with Young Link's Dair
Regular Link and Toon Link have it though, but I don't think they're as good as Young Link. There's plenty to choose from if you want a particular thing!

Young Link.

Smash Apprentice
Oh that's unfortunate, I think all characters should have had at least one spike to be fair.

I see Young Link like Sheik in Smash 4, a good character, but having some troubles to kill.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Oh that's unfortunate, I think all characters should have had at least one spike to be fair.

I see Young Link like Sheik in Smash 4, a good character, but having some troubles to kill.
Not really, he's more like Brawl Metaknight early in the meta. People THOUGHT he had trouble Koing because of low power, but then realized he had a lot of setups to get the KOs easy. Young Link can combo (with fair or projectiles) into Fair, F-smash, Upair and also has a decent recovery to go out and gimp people. To be fair, he's probably going to be able to score KOs more consistently than adult Link since he has so many options.

Kienamaru

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kienamaru
3DS FC
2337-6342-5688
Switch FC
6100 0383 6350
The bouncing hitbox combos into uair and other aerials.

Kienamaru

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kienamaru
3DS FC
2337-6342-5688
Switch FC
6100 0383 6350
Tested on Pit

True combos into nair/bair at 0- 29. Deals 30%,

True combos into nair/bair at 0- 29.
Deals 24%/32%
(Only lands the first hit of bair at low percents but eventually combos into both.

True combos into uair at 15-40.
Deals 32.4%

True combos fastfall rising spin attack at 30, alternatively, space it perfectly and hit with the edge of the move.
Deals 32.4%/28.8%
^ True combos up to 80 without the fast fall.
(At higher percents, it will miss the first slash, but still count as a true combo.

Late fastfall True combos into Utilt at 20. Hit with very late hitbox. Fastfall must be started late into the move. (this is the hardest one to replicate though I've done it a few times now. You have to hit with the late box but NOT bounce off.
Deals 27.6%

True combos into Fair hit 1 at 20-35. Spacing is important. Hit with edge of move and very late hitbox.
Deals 25.2%

True combos into Zair at 15-38
Deals 22.8%

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get anything AFTER the first hit of fair as a true combo. If it was used at the ledge however, the second hit of fair could connect.

Last edited:

Kienamaru

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kienamaru
3DS FC
2337-6342-5688
Switch FC
6100 0383 6350
Doesn't seem to, no matter how I use it.

Top Bottom