• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Young Link Video Thread

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Wow Chudats Young Link lost to Kirbstirs Peach? Hes definitely not a Jash lol im joking, that match is probably older then me.
Where is this match you talk of?

If you're talking about the three matches posted above he won them :confused:

rhan

Smash Hero
Woops I forgot to tell ya. I've spoke to Chu on Apex and I was right, he doesn't use Young Link anymore. I've heard the story to why he does use him and I figured that was the cause.

So yeah he doesn't use him anymore.

XD I got ***** at Apex, his Kirby is amazing.
What a dissapointment....

videos coming up. Just gimme some time
Can't wait to see them bro! If I can get to a faster computer if you want I'll critque them.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
wow. nice ylink. he could be a bit more creative with his projectiles. he played a little too aggressive at some points. especially during the 1st stock of the 2nd falco match.

he ***** that marth. lol told you guys thats a pri gud mu

rhan

Smash Hero
That Marth was pretty bad... lol

I remember GG7 though. He was RC's apprentice kinda.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
Dude I just saw these for some reason. ehhh. lol
Pretty good ylink. you have all the basics down. altho that peach has no idea what to do. rely on projectiles for that fight. if u get in too close she will cc **** you or shield grab. only glaring improvement i see is speed. you were a bit slow at times and got out spaced or grabbed when you could have avoided it. more wavedashing and try not to grab sheik that much, shes tooooo fast for it. wait until you have a guaranteed grab.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Allrite sorry about the delay... Here you all go... I still have some more Vs Axe/Taj, but I assumed.. many of my vids vs Axe have already been seen.. so I'll choose more accordingly.. Have vids vs AZ's Best Falcon.. .. Comment/critique/enjoy... <3 Yoshi players.. (atm prolly AZ's best Young Link too) XD..

Allrite Enjoy! :)

vs GamerGuitarist (Young Link)

Game 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIKJV3dr1C8
Game 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlCeUfrIsEo
Game 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SoRHm6Nf54

AZ's best Young Link, isn't really a Young Link player.. but i thought i'd post these here for the Young Link boards.. and how annoying YLink is to fight.. >> at times... Hope you like my Yoshi.. his Young link! <3

Hope everyone enjoys! ^^; I'm gettin there ^^;

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
hmm hes pretty aggro. reminds me of N64. He coulda done some more projectile stuff. he missed a lot of combos cuz he didnt. he's good at grabbing tho. gave me some ideas for my own grab game.

Laijin

Smash Hero
I'll be the first person to post a video in here in 3 years LOL.

Here is my match vs Mango from Pound 5.5. My entire pools were recorded so i'll post everything from the tournament when they pop up on youtube.

Brando550

Smash Cadet
Fox
Falco
Marth
These are the 3 tourny videos I have uploaded so far. More to come in the near future!

Rosy

Smash Apprentice
Well first I want to say that you do a ton of really good things. You are very patient which is good and your fundamentals go along with your patient game. With that being said, there are a ton of things you can improve on.

Fox: This can be said for all of your games, but this was the first match so I will just say it now, you go in end up getting hit a lot. You need to stand back even more than you already do and always have a bomb in your hand. Bombs are your best tactic in general to land damage on the enemy and combo off of. Very few Young links dont use bombs in neutral (Axe) and even he takes them out once they are near death percent for a bomb>dair.

If you find your self in a situation where you dont have a bomb and the fox wont give you the chance to pull out a bomb, you can wall him out with sh fairs until he either backs off or makes a mistake and makes an unsafe approach where you can just nair him.

Speaking of your nairs, you are missing your l cancels with the nairs and it is slowing you down big time so I would recommend becoming more comfortable with nairs and learning how to do late nairs, and cross up nairs and all that good stuff.

Another thing is you use d tilt way too much in neutral. Ill be honest and say that you have found some application for it as a combo extender but for the most part I would use d smash as it comes out faster and has the multiple hitboxes to cover you.

Your edge guards are decent, but I would recommend to not use your boomrang as much. Its good when you see it coming, but when you over use the boomrang you end up missing other chances because of the lag. Recently I have found that d smash covers the illusion to the lede and jab covers illusion to stage. Other than that, you have go fundamentals.

Falco: even more than fox, you NEED bombs ALWAYS. Falco will beat you in neutral every time so you need to realize you wont win and you need to be more patient.

With bombs, you can force falco into apporaching and then bomb drop Oos (it takes 4 frames) and can stun falco long enough to allow you to run away and get more bombs. The more you run away, the more frustrated they get. The more frustrated they get, the more openings you will get. Yeah?

The best way to combo falco is to force him onto a platform and when they start to dair you can just beat them with your u air. And once youland an u air, you can read their techs on platforms and keep landing u air strings.

Again, when you dont have a bomb, you can mix up with fairs and nairs, but dont get too greedy because a single laser and knock you out of your approach.

With fast fallers I recommend you d throw them (when you land a grab) 0-45% and then up throw 46-132% and the d throw from then on. With the up throw at mid to high percents, if you read their DI you can get a free nair and most liekly knock them onto a platform or off stage and set yourself up for an edge gaurd. At really high percents you can just read the tech in place with a dmash or just dash attack.

Marth: The marth player you played was not good at all imo. He dropped way too many easy edgeguards that you gave him. A better marth will d tilt and f smash you and kill you easily so you need to space your recoveries better and mix them up (although you boomrang jumps are very good).

You need to use bomb dair on marth at high percents, and dont edge gaurd with d smash. you f tilt as it has better range and will give you better success.

bombs in general are good against marth as marth is really bad in his shield. I would recommend apporaching a safe distance from his shield grab and then double jabbing to nair. It wont take a lot to pressure him into rolling or jumping Oos shield and I truely believe this is the best way to beat a higher level marth.

Brando550

Smash Cadet
Thank you for your criticism. You make some good points. I do want to digress that I have looked over these videos multiple times to see what I could have done differently, and have reached most of the same conclusions that you made before you even posted. That's the main reason I record these in the first place. I saw just how much I missed L-cancels, and that I was on the ground too much and did too many dash-attacks rather than Nair mix-ups, which I can get punished for really easily.

I have been to less than 10 tourneys in the last year and a half since I've joined the scene, and I don't have a practice partner at all (I practice solely against lvl 9 CPUs); because of this, I have been using these few tourneys that I have gone to to experiment and see what works and what doesn't.

From the Fox video I learned quickly just how unreliable the boomerang is at edgeguarding if I don't throw it out immediately; From the Falco video, just how important teching is and keeping the right spacing; From the marth video, I'm not quite as sure. The Falco in the video is #8 in my state on the local PR, and I learned that the marth player had only been to 2 tourneys before the one I faced him at.

One big thing I have learned, as well, is just how slow YL's grab comes out, and that people can easily spot dodge it and shine immediately.

There is so much I still have yet to learn, so my goal this year is to attend a tourney almost every weekend, if possible. Thanks for taking the time to watch and give advice =D! I will try and put them into practice!

Rosy

Smash Apprentice
all dont use stadium or FD as counter picks. YL thrives on stages with platforms and without them, he becomes way more limited.

Glad you are able to learn from the videos. If I get streamed and my next tourney, Ill just go YL for the hell of it so I can post on here.

derdian

Smash Cadet
all dont use stadium or FD as counter picks. YL thrives on stages with platforms and without them, he becomes way more limited.

Glad you are able to learn from the videos. If I get streamed and my next tourney, Ill just go YL for the hell of it so I can post on here.
I agree with this except against marth. One of my main practice partners is a marth and I do best vs him on FD (by a considerable amount) with YL. He is so big and slow in the air that on FD it is super easy to capitalize off of 1 projectile throw no matter what he does defensively (same goes with ganon but ganon already sucks on FD anyways). He's also the only high tier in the top 8 that can't really camp you on that stage so the neutral isn't that bad either. But ya against any other character its pretty rough to win on FD

Brando550

Smash Cadet

So this is a set i recently did that I thought u guys might enjoy. Definitely not the normal tourney set you're used to watching.

Rosy

Smash Apprentice
I agree with this except against marth. One of my main practice partners is a marth and I do best vs him on FD (by a considerable amount) with YL. He is so big and slow in the air that on FD it is super easy to capitalize off of 1 projectile throw no matter what he does defensively (same goes with ganon but ganon already sucks on FD anyways). He's also the only high tier in the top 8 that can't really camp you on that stage so the neutral isn't that bad either. But ya against any other character its pretty rough to win on FD
Why would marth be in the air on fd though? A good marth will stay grounded as possible and wait for you to lose the projectile, and go in with a grab or a d tilt.

derdian

Smash Cadet
Why would marth be in the air on fd though? A good marth will stay grounded as possible and wait for you to lose the projectile, and go in with a grab or a d tilt.
Because shielding YL projectiles is bad and jumping on platforms/jumping over them is the best option.

Brando550

Smash Cadet
New set from a tourny last weekend. Learned some new stuff from it, like YL's up-tilt can trade with Falco's d-air, which I would like to explore more. My biggest challenge atm is against good marths and shieks, since I have little-to-no practice against them in comparison to spacies.

Top Bottom