• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Young Link Social

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
Premium
BRoomer
Young Link is seriously legit. Oh man I'm so happy right now.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I've been playing YL and here are some observations. Bomb combos: 0% Fsmash, low %s DA, most %s Usmash and very high %s Nair. Landing these combos is unlike SSB4; YL's Usmash doesn't slide at all so you have to run directly under the opponent and Usmash or Nair. It takes some getting used to. Fair is hard to land from bombs, partially because SHing is so darn finicky. Nair is much easier to use and kills when Usmash no longer works.
Dthrow has a lot of base knock back so it's hard to combo Usmash, like Link can, but aerials seem to work. I still need to test boomerang, Dtilt and arrows but they seem to have potential for combos.

I keep SDing by trying to airdodge>tether the ledge offstage, lol. This and the new power shielding is weird. OoS Usmash isn't working for me.

YL's looking like a zoning beast.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Boomerangs are much more efficient to use with Young Link. Combo potential is like Link but way better, which could be said about just about everything at this point. Definitely found my new main, unless Link magically gets some ground melee buffs.

Young Link is just soooo good.

Last edited:

Cr0n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
liquidbassist
3DS FC
4184-4537-7536
What do you guys think about TL vs YL in this game? I was a TL main back when I played smash 4 and I am getting Ultimate pretty soon. Has one proven to be inherently better yet, or is it just a preference ? Of course I will end up playing whichever character I enjoy more, but just wanted to know your guys' thoughts.

Rizen

Smash Legend
What do you guys think about TL vs YL in this game? I was a TL main back when I played smash 4 and I am getting Ultimate pretty soon. Has one proven to be inherently better yet, or is it just a preference ? Of course I will end up playing whichever character I enjoy more, but just wanted to know your guys' thoughts.
IDK who's better, they might be about the same, but YL plays closer to SSB4 Link than anyone. If you mained TL he'll probably be the most comfortable for you.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Patch is live and apparently all three Links got adjusted. I wonder what changes were made...would be fantastic if they would just tell us.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
I swear if they nerfed my lil homie Young Link I will be absolutely livid. I have no idea what changed, but I'm going to log on right now. But before I do, I'm going to guess what they did right now. My prediction is they nerfed his projectiles to some degree(probably more lag for boomerang or arrows), I will edit this post to update if I'm right.

I am scared to log in, but if you're reading this it's too late...

Rizen

Smash Legend
I finally finished playing YL vs every lv9 cpu until I could beat them consistently, WoL and got some wifi matches in. I'm feeling good about YL. He has the frame data to burst in and out button characters and the projectiles to create openings. Although there are stronger characters I feel YL belongs in high tier.

I did the true ending but haven't 100% completed the game. The ending sequence where you fight as Master Hand then climb up to the gods was really cool and reminded me of how awesome Subspace was. The rest of WoL is glorified event matches, which are fun but I really would have liked a side scrolling adventure with more cutscenes. Gleem and Darkon were fun fights and the other bosses as well; at least they had those. At first I was worried they'd bring back a bunch of Subspace bosses when I saw Gallium but he was the only returning boss (not counting the Hands).

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
He has the tools to be low top tier I think but I definitely think no matter what, he'll be solid high tier at least. Good mobility, awesome combo potential and kill setups, solid frame data, can weave in and out of range easily with little risk, racks up damage quick, and most importantly, pristine edgeguarding. He's just all around too good for anything less than high tier.

Still early obviously, but with some characters you just know.

TheBuzzSaw

Premium
BRoomer
Mew2King stated he thinks Link > Toon Link > Young Link. LOL RIP THE DREAM

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Mew2King stated he thinks Link > Toon Link > Young Link. LOL RIP THE DREAM
Funny enough, quite a few top/highly notable smash players have said that Link is better than Young Link. I think it was Seagull Joe that has even suggested that Adult Link is top tier. To be honest, I have my doubts about that, but I definitely can be sure that Young Link is better than Toon. I haven't seen all of their speculations yet, but so far out of the only ones I did see, Leffen was the only one that didn't put Adult Link in high tier; he actually placed him in low tier, in fact. I think Nairo placed him in mid.

I wanna say that I saw nobody put Young Link any lower than high tier so far.

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

Premium
BRoomer
Funny enough, quite a few top/highly notable smash players have said that Link is better than Young Link. I think it was Seagull Joe that has even suggested that Adult Link is top tier. To be honest, I have my doubts about that, but I definitely can be sure that Young Link is better than Toon. I haven't seen all of their speculations yet, but so far out of the only ones I did see, Leffen was the only one that didn't put Adult Link in high tier; he actually placed him in low tier, in fact. I think Nairo placed him in mid.

I wanna say that I saw nobody put Young Link any lower than high tier so far.
I don't recall whom M2K was quoting, but he was basically confirming this in the same stream I was watching: Link is supposedly top 5, which blows my mind if it's even a little bit true.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I don't recall whom M2K was quoting, but he was basically confirming this in the same stream I was watching: Link is supposedly top 5, which blows my mind if it's even a little bit true.
Could you imagine Adult Link being a top tier? Literally unheard of, for ANY Link for that matter. But like Rizen said, tourney results will be the deciding factor. It seems they've both been getting very good results so far.

Did a little more digging and to my surprise, Link is showing up in top 8 more than Young Link, overall. Still early though. Once the smoke clears well all get a better understanding on that subject.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I got wind of the collage smash ultimate weeklies starting up with the semester. I'll be attending. This is great because frankly the wifi sucks. If Nintendo's offering a cover charge they need to get their internet options together.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I got Darksiders 3 for X-mas. DS2 was a good game; usually I'm not into hack and slash but it had enough adventure traits to be fun.

Is it okay if I make a metagame thread? We have some scattered combo threads but no official meta thread.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I got Darksiders 3 for X-mas. DS2 was a good game; usually I'm not into hack and slash but it had enough adventure traits to be fun.

Is it okay if I make a metagame thread? We have some scattered combo threads but no official meta thread.
Only played the first one but I thought it was a ton of fun.

I think if anyone here should make a metagame thread, its either you or BuzzSaw. We definitely need one.

pnoid

Smash Cadet
Hello! I'm a kirby player. As you probably know, this matchup ain't the greatest for kirby, but i'd like to get better.

I would love to exchange friend codes and practice if somebody has the time,

Rizen

Smash Legend
Sorry I'm an offline player :/

What do you guys think of YL's MUs? So far the only hard one has been Wolf but I'm thinking arrow spam should counter blaster pretty well. Some are harder than others but none seem like they need a secondary. My combos are getting tight. Fair1/Nair>Dtilt>Nair/Fair/Dair deals at least 30% and is true. Dtilt is such a great move. YL's bombs are good but he has so many combo starters I don't rely on them as much as I thought.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I went to my first weekly and broke even. Took 2 people out and lost twice. Considering this is my first time playing people live I feel alright about it. IMO YL loses slightly to wario and TL. He loses to Fox too but IDK how bad. I felt YL's struggle to kill and had to make a few reads with smashes. He's a good character but undertuned compared to top tiers.

Edit, a week later and still no posts :urg:. My YL was feeling tight this week. I beat 3 people and was getting strings of 50%ish. The bracket had 46 people.

Edit 2 another week and I beat 3 people again.

Edit 3 I missed last week's tournament but when to this one. The last 2 times I got 9th but this time I beat 4 people and got top 8 :awesome:
https://challonge.com/CUSU5

Last edited:

moocowmoo272

Smash Rookie
Hello! I've been labbing a lot of YL and have some questions to ask. Found some neat stuff with tether by the ledge.
Was wondering if there was a discord for YL?

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I think if Young Link's struggle to get kills sometimes was fixed he wouldn't really need anymore buffs after that. Just make all of his kill moves kill earlier.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Cool this thread had some activity. Feel free to ask any questions. IDK about a discord.

I got 9th out of 119 people last Thursday going all YL :grin:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I won a small meetup tournament with 9 people; they were casuals so it's nothing special. Afterward we played 6 person smash in three teams of two and some FFAs. It was fun playing "party" smash for a change.

If I'm remembering right, his kill moves are:
Fair
Dair
F-smash
Uair
Aerial Up-B
Nair
F-throw
F-tilt
U-smash
D-smash
U-throw

These aren't ordered super well, but it's a start. I wasn't really sure if you wanted them by power or usefulness. Most of Yink's kill moves are really situational besides fair, nair, and uair. I also want to say everything below nair on the list kills super late, if at all. Hope that helps a bit.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I agree YL's kills are situational. Fsmash kills the earliest of anything but you can't combo into it except Fair1>Fsmash at 140%ish and at that point other moves kill as well. So you have to go for a read or punish to land Fsmash. You can setup Soft Nair>run to them>jab lock>Fsmash but only if they miss the tech around 70%ish. The next earliest kill setup is Dtilt>jump upB which can work around 90-120%; guide upB toward the blast zone while you're dragging the opponent along then steer back to the stage as you fall. Dsmash is quick at frame 9, launches horizontally and is great if you're near the edge or the opponent has a bad recovery like Chrom. Fair1 combos into Dsmash and later Usmash or you can soft Nair>chase after them>Dsmash. Usmash kills around 140-160% and you can combo bomb or Fair1 or Bair 1 into it. Boomerang>Fair or Dair is another kill option and very safe. Finally UThrow stock cap kills around 190-200%. Charged fire arrows also kill around 200%.

Firox

Smash Master
Hey there, Yink mains. Got a quick question for you. Was he always able to combo grounded up B into up air or was that a recent patch? I could have sworn he wasn't always like that but I've really noticed lately how pesky that combo is out of shield.

Last edited:
Hey there, Yink mains. Got a quick question for you. Was he always able to combo grounded up B into up air or was that recent patch? I could have sworn he wasn't always like that but I've really noticed lately how pesky that combo is out of shield.
Pretty sure it's always been a thing. As far as I remember up-B hasn't been touched and the main thing up-air got was a knockback increase. It's a more reliable kill option now, so in that sense it's better even if it's always existed.

Firox

Smash Master
Pretty sure it's always been a thing. As far as I remember up-B hasn't been touched and the main thing up-air got was a knockback increase. It's a more reliable kill option now, so in that sense it's better even if it's always existed.
Wow. For some reason, I never really noticed it until now. I guess that extra knockback really left an impression.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I played in Smash Brawl/4 Toon-link and i still prefer his design but because Smash ultimat made Toon-link pretty boring (i mean why would you give the cutest Link 1 Heavy fSmash and not Botw Link this is dumb) i switched to young-link luckily he is a good Replacement!

Top Bottom