• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Young Link Samus??

LittleFumi

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys my tag is Lil Fumi and I am a ranked player from SoCal. I am not very active so most of you do not know me but I am a fox main however I play young link as one of my secondaries but have never played him in tournament yet. Anyways, personally I really dislike the fox-samus matchup and thought that this would be a perfect opportunity to bust out my young link for this matchup but want to go in well prepared. Any advice on young link samus? All advice will be very helpful and I will appreciate it very much.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I'm aware of you, and I like your Young Link a lot.

Campy Young Link appears to have an advantage in the Samus matchup, but I'm not sure if that translates into more aggressive Young Links like yours (assuming that the few videos I've seen of you are exemplary.) Down-smash can cover you after SHFFL's but that's of course beatable. You can also jump away immediately afterwards and hope they don't Nair or up-B. If you don't mind playing the campy, projectile->hit-confirm YL game, then it works out well. It doesn't work as well being aggressive, but I dunno if it'd work out better than Fox. If you're gunning for HugS, he's had Young Links target him before, so he might know the matchup well enough.

Camping controls the match (Choknater vs Cort), win)
Axe gets crouch-cancelled, up-B'd OoS, and punished for approaching overall, by HugS (lost but Axe wasn't being serious)

I personally don't like playing against Samus (or Luigi) as Young Link because they stop my hit-confirms really easily into decent combos and edgeguards, but those matchups are even at worst for Young Link (I just choose Sheik.)

LittleFumi

Smash Journeyman
I'm aware of you, and I like your Young Link a lot.

Campy Young Link appears to have an advantage in the Samus matchup, but I'm not sure if that translates into more aggressive Young Links like yours (assuming that the few videos I've seen of you are exemplary.) Down-smash can cover you after SHFFL's but that's of course beatable. You can also jump away immediately afterwards and hope they don't Nair or up-B. If you don't mind playing the campy, projectile->hit-confirm YL game, then it works out well. It doesn't work as well being aggressive, but I dunno if it'd work out better than Fox. If you're gunning for HugS, he's had Young Links target him before, so he might know the matchup well enough.

Camping controls the match (Choknater vs Cort), win)
Axe gets crouch-cancelled, up-B'd OoS, and punished for approaching overall, by HugS (lost but Axe wasn't being serious)

I personally don't like playing against Samus (or Luigi) as Young Link because they stop my hit-confirms really easily into decent combos and edgeguards, but those matchups are even at worst for Young Link (I just choose Sheik.)
Thanks a lot! It would be for Hugs and any other samus in fact however Hugs is the only top quality samus that SoCal has. Anyways I definitely agree that I will have to camp more. I think my young link has gotten significantly better over this last month and do think I have a shot although it will be very difficult. Thanks again! Lastly any advice for edge guarding samus?

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Thanks a lot! It would be for Hugs and any other samus in fact however Hugs is the only top quality samus that SoCal has. Anyways I definitely agree that I will have to camp more. I think my young link has gotten significantly better over this last month and do think I have a shot although it will be very difficult. Thanks again! Lastly any advice for edge guarding samus?
She's gonna come back. Throw stuff at her so she comes back with 30% more and dies to nair during neutral. You can also try the bomb-drop -> dair kill if her options are limited justifiably, since her up-B goes straight up.

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
Samus is such an interesting match up, two projectile heavy grapple characters. I like it

I'd say ban FD and every other stage's pretty good I'd avoid battlefield by personnal preference. Also Pokemon stadium is your best counterpick, but I like to bring Samus to fountains if that's banned

Last edited:

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Samus is such an interesting match up, two projectile heavy grapple characters. I like it

I'd say ban FD and every other stage's pretty good I'd avoid battlefield by personnal preference. Also Pokemon stadium is your best counterpick, but I like to bring Samus to fountains if that's banned
IMO:
Pokemon Stadium -- Best. No objections allowed. She dies, she can't catch us, and her recovery becomes very subpar.
Yoshi's Story -- Just large enough to allow YL to camp, easy to kill Samus, tons of wall mixups for YL recovery while Samus' extra-long grapple seems overkill on this map
Battlefield -- A very balanced stage. We have the advantage on Samus' recovery and neutral here. Kills are normal
Final Destination -- Young Link's superior jumps put in a lot of work. her easy to dodge projectiles fall to our better projectiles.
Dream Land 64 -- Samus likes the survivability, but at least we can camp her
Fountain of Dreams -- A bit too small to camp while Samus can live forever. Platforms changing can interrupt the flow of Young Link's routine, allowing samus to start something.

FD and DL64 might be mixed around, but I prefer FD against Samus due to her being so immobile.

Last edited:

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
IMO:
Pokemon Stadium -- Best. No objections allowed. She dies, she can't catch us, and her recovery becomes very subpar.
Yoshi's Story -- Just large enough to allow YL to camp, easy to kill Samus, tons of wall mixups for YL recovery while Samus' extra-long grapple seems overkill on this map
Battlefield -- A very balanced stage. We have the advantage on Samus' recovery and neutral here. Kills are normal
Final Destination -- Young Link's superior jumps put in a lot of work. her easy to dodge projectiles fall to our better projectiles.
Dream Land 64 -- Samus likes the survivability, but at least we can camp her
Fountain of Dreams -- A bit too small to camp while Samus can live forever. Platforms changing can interrupt the flow of Young Link's routine, allowing samus to start something.

FD and DL64 might be mixed around, but I prefer FD against Samus due to her being so immobile.
I like this. Organised, concise and correct. Personally, I prefer FD over DL anyways, maybe even as much as Battlefield (or more, though I might be pushing it).

Mr. S

Smash Apprentice
I prefer DL to FD because Young Link has an incredible platform camping game that Samus can't really do all that much about. This is even more exaggerated by DL being a fairly large stage. Though it's easy to win the projectile game against Samus on FD, her missiles are a somewhat-effective form of horizontal stage control. On FD, you have to maneuver around her projectiles, which is kind of annoying because she can use them to get you in a place where you don't really want to be. Young Link's aerials help him land in case Samus tries to keep you in the air and punish you, but Samus has that nair and can gain a positional advantage.

That being said, jumping over a missile into bomb-dair at <100% for the kill is hilarious.

The main issue with DL is that Samus just doesn't die, but that's mitigated a little bit by a superior platform game that makes it far more difficult for her to control the stage.

Out-camping Samus is very powerful on DL because there's not much she can do about it. Her missiles don't hinder you all that much, and you can just throw lots of projectiles for days. It's really safe.

DL also grants Samus good mobility options because her wavelands are so good, but we still have great advantages in camping and avoiding pressure. I think that we get the better end of the stick here.

I find that playing a more aggressive YL against Samus is a little bit tricky because she has that dreaded nair and a fair combo game on him to boot. I prefer to take Samus to DL over FD because it's much easier to take a lot of defensive and campy options without being forced to do all that much all that often.

Overall, in my opinion, Pokemon > Battlefield > DL > FD > Yoshi's > Fountain

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
I find that playing a more aggressive YL against Samus is a little bit tricky because she has that dreaded nair and a fair combo game on him to boot. I prefer to take Samus to DL over FD because it's much easier to take a lot of defensive and campy options without being forced to do all that much all that often.

Overall, in my opinion, Pokemon > Battlefield > DL > FD > Yoshi's > Fountain
Yep. I played aggressive Young Link against a Samus as a counterpick on Yoshi's and barely lost, even though I feel I outperformed him (i.e. more work put in, control). Of course, my Matchup experience was ~0 so that explains why I lost, and why I went aggro in the first place. Maybe that explains some things. Her dsmash kills wayyyy to early and her nair as well. Plus, the platforms help her for dair > bair comboes. And for her missile game. Lol, never conuterpicking Yoshi's again.

Regardless, personal preference for FD means I'll choose it over DL anyway. I just don't want the match to have to last so long (possibly even timeout??), especially since I'm not so campy to begin with. I guess I'll have to work on my camping game anyways, then maybe I'll sway over to favouring DL as well.

rhan

Smash Hero
Small blast zone all around.
Easy edgegaurd.

As long as you zone and follow up the kills will come.

Last edited:

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
Does she not have an easier time killing on this stage (because of the blastzones)? Plus, the blastzones on FoD are thin and tall, which would help Samus.

EDIT: Then again, nair kills early for a change in our favour.

Last edited:

B.W.

Smash Champion
FoD and PS are my favorite stages to go against Samus. PS is my number one pick because the blast zones, but the reason I like both of them is because the platforms are never consistent, but they're still there Y.Link can make work, but it might give Samus trouble in the projectile spam fight since she can't always platform cancel missiles, and Y. Link can still make great use of the top platform.

FD is kind of okay but it makes it harder for Y. Link to move around missile spam.

Top Bottom