• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Young Link Q&A Thread

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I see that there are a lot of questions regarding Young Link whether it be legality, tips, or critiquing so I think it would be a little bit easier to organize it all in one big Q&A thread.

So if you have any questions regarding YL it would be greatly appreciated if you put it here.

If this could be stickied that would be great!

Diabolical PIe

Smash Apprentice
Why does no one play this character anymore? ; o ;

But on a serious note, what do you guys think about using short hop bomb throw into waveland forward to pressure the oppenent? If they shield the bomb, you can snag them with your tether on reaction, or you can hit confirm the bomb and combo into whatever you want. I'm hesitant to use this, however, because I don't know how much shield stun your opponent will be in after blocking a bomb. Could they just roll/wavedash out? I really want this setup to be legit. :(

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I'm hesitant to use this, however, because I don't know how much shield stun your opponent will be in after blocking a bomb. Could they just roll/wavedash out? I really want this setup to be legit. :(
I don't think the bombs alone have much shield stun, so maybe it's a better idea to do the ol' bomb regrab off the shield trick and toss it again. Have you ever tried to Waveland backwards from a bomb throw instead of forward? It could be a good mindgame set-up if utilized properly.

Diabolical PIe

Smash Apprentice
I don't think the bombs alone have much shield stun, so maybe it's a better idea to do the ol' bomb regrab off the shield trick and toss it again. Have you ever tried to Waveland backwards from a bomb throw instead of forward? It could be a good mindgame set-up if utilized properly.
Yes, I find that I waveland backwards a lot more frequently than I waveland forwards, but I want to experiment with different methods of playing more aggressively. It's important to be able to mix up your playstyle at any moment, I feel.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Yes, I find that I waveland backwards a lot more frequently than I waveland forwards, but I want to experiment with different methods of playing more aggressively. It's important to be able to mix up your playstyle at any moment, I feel.
Go for it man I will always encourage more agro play from Young Link, he has so much untapped creative potential!

Diabolical PIe

Smash Apprentice
Alright dude, I'll see what I can do. Hopefully I'll have some gameplay up soon that I can post on here for critique, and the Young Link community can start testing all the different possibilities at his disposal. He's really an unexplored character, and we need some heroes to push him wherever we can.

party

Smash Cadet
Just starting to secondary YL as a falco main, im used to my shield pressure being pretty free with shine grab or shine fade away. I'm wondering how shield pressure works with YL. Is it just proper spacing to not get shield grab combined with cross up nairs and just bomb/regrab bomb on shield?

party

Smash Cadet
As a button pressing addict triple aerials are crazy fun; been practising them heaps. Also after days of having a 5% success rate of bomb pull > regrab ledge I found switching to claw for it is insanely consistent. Lovin these YL techs.

pants name guy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-7849-1985
Does anybody know about frame data for wall jumps? I'd like to know how long you stay invincible. I wanna experiment with wall jump nairs and wall jump -> double jump bair on stage, so I need to know how lenient I can be with trading hits etc.

party

Smash Cadet
Do you mean gaining invincibility from wall jumps because I've never heard of that occuring

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Alright I have a question. What should I do when training alone? I have zero people to play Melee with since my area is completely devoid of any real Smash players. Netplay is also out of the question since my towns only internet provider is Comcast.

Anyways what kind of things should I work with? What YL tech would be the most important to practice?

pants name guy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-7849-1985
Ridel: Practice general movement on every legal stage. Do wavelands and edge cancels and try to moonwalk and that thing where you run and do grounded up+b to grab the ledge and just experiment. Practice getting bombs out without being vulnerable and catching the boomerang without going into that stupid animation. If you have a decent computer than definitely try Anther's Netplay Ladder, but make sure you warm up on a crt for a decent amount of time before you play in a tournament.

Here's a really cool youtube videos on some fun stuff to try out: http://youtu.be/oY8hb93QMdE

EDIT: Just saw "netplay is out of the question" whoops sry

Last edited:
Top Bottom