• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Young Link Gameplay Trailer

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
Premium
BRoomer

It would appear he has his same move set, which I'm largely OK with provided they balanced him.

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
Watching the Toon Link/Young Link match-up is gonna be super interesting, while the faster/lighter Link idea goes through both of them, the end result is seemingly very different.

JadeRock 5599

Smash Cadet
With Link having new bombs/grab/dash attack we could say that YL is less of a clone due to this. I'm hoping he gets a few new moves like a Roy/Luigi type of treatment.

I've always mained adult and toon, but with links changes I may move to YL. Guess I'll have to just see.

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
With Link having new bombs/grab/dash attack we could say that YL is less of a clone due to this. I'm hoping he gets a few new moves like a Roy/Luigi type of treatment.

I've always mained adult and toon, but with links changes I may move to YL. Guess I'll have to just see.
When you put it that way, it makes me think Young Link is now supposed to be Link as he was---classic Link---so that BOTW Link can be something new.

TheBuzzSaw

Premium
BRoomer
I am AOK with Young Link taking on the role that big Link left behind. Let big Link go off in BOTW mode.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am AOK with Young Link taking on the role that big Link left behind. Let big Link go off in BOTW mode.
Link's moveset WAS the Hero of Time. They changed it with Brawl when they gave him that repugnant Boomerang. And though they changed him a bit to be more faithful during Smash 4, I feel as though it is safe to declare that OG Link is the Hero of Time and Young Link is the Hero of Time. To that end, I am more than okay with Young Link taking back his rightful place while Breath of the Wild can appeal to the casuals. Not going to lie, the remote bomb sounds cool though.

TheBuzzSaw

Premium
BRoomer
I will continue to play big Link as I always do. I'm just super happy that I can restore Young Link to his rightful place as my #1.

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
They changed it with Brawl when they gave him that repugnant Boomerang.
The only difference was the tornado.
I have never played a Zelda game so I'm confused as to why the presence of the tornado is a big deal here.
Not going to lie, the remote bomb sounds cool though.
It really does. Interesting zoning potential; no one but Snake and Duck Hunt had anything like it.

TheBuzzSaw

Premium
BRoomer
The Gale Boomerang largely weakened Link's arsenal. It'll be so great having the old boomerang back. Damage on the way out and on the way in.

JadeRock 5599

Smash Cadet
Not having the damage on return was bad for adult link. It could create funny setups, but they were easily telegraphed. Hesitant on remote bombs as I liked throwing two.

I'm fine with botw link and think it was a great game and should not be omitted from smash, so I am perfectly fine with YL taking that moveset as long as it is done well. With 3 links I'm sure I'll find some fun in all 3.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I might end up maining YL if Link is changed too much. I don't like Link's remote bombs so far.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
My only disappointment is that he's still based on Ocarina of Time, rather than Majora's Mask. the Deku Shield and Sword are nostalgic, yes, but I'd much rather see his equipment from Majora's Mask, with a Great Deity Mask final smash to boot.

Since Link is now BotW, Toon Link is Windwaker, Zelda is ALBW, Ganondorf is OoT and Sheik is, at least aesthetically, still very much TP, I feel like giving Young Link some MM flair would round everything out quite nicely.

(Still calling Impa from SS as an Echo Character.)

TheBuzzSaw

Premium
BRoomer
So par for the course then? Has Link ever remotely been viable? Just relax and wait until the game comes out. Don't pass early judgment.

Rizen

Smash Legend
So par for the course then? Has Link ever remotely been viable? Just relax and wait until the game comes out. Don't pass early judgment.
You don't get it. I've stuck with Link because his core character. He was undertuned in SSB4 but still a solid mid tier who got 3rd place at Civil War thanks to T. Link in SSB Ultimate isn't a true Link, Young Link is. I know the game will be tweaked and balanced in the final version but I'm also smart enough to see blatant gimmicks and remote bombs and picking up arrows are some. If the new "Link" is going to be viable he's going to need some seriously overtuned options like a DK Ding Dong.

TheBuzzSaw

Premium
BRoomer
It's just really strange that you choose now to adopt this attitude. The new Link isn't markedly worse than the current one. The way I know that is the current Link is not good. Everything he does is wildly punishable. Even throwing the boomerang has a stupid level of warmup. I'm just not seeing what's so wrong with the new Link that makes him a sudden step down for you. He'll be different for sure. Hopefully, the loss of his clawshot will be made up for in other ways.

I was very happy when T performed as well as he did, but Link was never even reasonably consistent. That was a strange tournament where ZeRo lost to a no name ZSS.

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
I might end up maining YL if Link is changed too much. I don't like Link's remote bombs so far.
The only things that have changed with Link are
  1. Remote Bombs
  2. No tornado boomerang
  3. No tether grab
  4. I saw mention of picking up arrows?
Majora's Mask is dummmmmmmmmmb.
I know nothing about Zelda but two fans I know consider it underrated; one had the other redpilled on it.

Has Link ever remotely been viable?
He is now.

That was a strange tournament where ZeRo lost to a no name ZSS.
Everything was so out-of-wack, yet easily one of the Top 5 tournaments in tr4sh history. Would have been legendary if Fatality had not lost.

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

Premium
BRoomer
I know nothing about Zelda but two fans I know consider it underrated; one had the other redpilled on it.
Oh, it's a super popular game. With how big a YLink fan I am, I'm sad I don't really like it. I'm just a OoT fanboy through and through.

He is now.
Well, uh, I can't hear tone across the Internet. Not sure how this was meant. Viable based on what? We have to check out the rest of the roster before knowing whether Link is remotely viable.

Everything was so out-of-wack, yet easily one of the Top 5 tournaments in tr4sh history. Would have been legendary if Fatality had not lost.
Y U NO LIKE SMASH 4

Man, Brawl broke my heart. I was dead convinced that Smash 4 would just be Brawl 2 with all the same problems, so I didn't follow any character reveals or anything. Then I played it on 3DS and fell back in love. Smash 5 looks to be even better. I hope it's not like Microsoft Windows where every other release is terrible.

TheBuzzSaw

Premium
BRoomer
Pun on "remotely".
BLAST. I knew I missed it. Well played.

My main was nerfed, DLC wasn't, and defense was broken.
My condolences for the nerfs. As for defense being "broken", that was very much a good thing. Favoring offense is the lesser of two evils. Making defense too good results in long, campy, cowardly gameplay; it makes attacking a losing proposition.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm not going to spam this thread with Link stuff. If anyone wants to learn what his changes mean I did a write up here.

At least YL will keep Link's zoning style.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
As for defense being "broken", that was very much a good thing.

Favoring offense is the lesser of two evils. Making defense too good results in long, campy, cowardly gameplay; it makes attacking a losing proposition.
Defense being broken (Ala, shields too good, perfect shielding too easy, ect.) was a good thing... according to you?

But then you go on about how favoring offense is the lesser evil, and count up the negatives of overly defensive games.

... maybe you meant it the other way around?

And I have to say, I am so much amped up for possible Y!Link and Palutena changes. I really hope they'll do well. A fast, agile, hard to hit link can be amazing.
And, his design might be Early-game MM? Despite his shield, OoT Link wasn't able to hookshot, MM Link was.
But then again, I doubt they are going down this route, even if I wished it was. Nothing would be cooler than a Fierce Deity splitting the moon ala Hyrule Warriors.

TheBuzzSaw

Premium
BRoomer
I thought he meant broken as in ruined, not broken as in OP.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Defense was OP in Brawl. It's fine in Smash 4.
You really sure about that? Perfect shielding, dodge spamming and invincibility on ledge grabs, while removing the "ledge guard" option was a huge deal. You were somewhat penality free for going back on the stage.

Not saying perfect shielding and dodge spamming doesn't existed in Brawl, but the removal and security the ledge options gave you, were kind of a big deal. In adition to a far more healthier shield and the "initial" lack of shieldstun.

TheBuzzSaw

Premium
BRoomer
You really sure about that? Perfect shielding, dodge spamming and invincibility on ledge grabs, while removing the "ledge guard" option was a huge deal. You were somewhat penality free for going back on the stage.

Not saying perfect shielding and dodge spamming doesn't existed in Brawl, but the removal and security the ledge options gave you, were kind of a big deal. In adition to a far more healthier shield and the "initial" lack of shieldstun.
I dunno. I watch a lot of competitive Smash 4, and I don't see players turtle that often. When one player becomes defensive, the other player is able to apply a good amount of shield pressure. (ZeRo said SSBU's pressure options are even better.) I'm not saying it can't be improved, but it didn't foster a if-you-attack-you-lose environment. Recoveries are too good in Smash 4, but you can only grab the ledge once. If you regrab, you are vulnerable.

Hekpo

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheBenFactory
Switch FC
1085-1940-2511
I dislike how Yink's arrows only ignite when it's fully charged. I don't see how this nerf changes gameplay, but buffing it would only make players happy. Kinda weird...

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I dunno. I watch a lot of competitive Smash 4, and I don't see players turtle that often. When one player becomes defensive, the other player is able to apply a good amount of shield pressure. (ZeRo said SSBU's pressure options are even better.) I'm not saying it can't be improved, but it didn't foster a if-you-attack-you-lose environment. Recoveries are too good in Smash 4, but you can only grab the ledge once. If you regrab, you are vulnerable.
Thats a given that regrabs make you vulnerable. But even if only once, being able to grab the ledge despite someone else already having it grabbed, is a somewhat big deal. Recovering low was a pretty universal secure way to get back, for characters who could.
Not saying that I dislike it, but with the safe amounts of airdodges one was able to put out... I do agree tho, that grabbing ledge regardless of what is a good change.

Which makes me happy to see, how Ultimate supports more offstage play. More interactions with your opponent are neat.
And yeah, I've seen ZeRo's videos to Ultimate, it is definitely hype to hear most of the changes.

And well, it's a given that you won't see compeditive players not use turteling. Even then, turteling is not even that smart tbh, because, what does it do.
The strong shield was just the problem as in it being too save, especially how powershielding worked in Smash4.
Many characters were just not good enough, if they weren't able to push shield, or space themselves from the shield after their attacks. Shield "pressure" was more a gimmick to a few characters, rather than an actual mechanic.

I dislike how Yink's arrows only ignite when it's fully charged. I don't see how this nerf changes gameplay, but buffing it would only make players happy. Kinda weird...
Elemental properties give priority. Can understand why they changed it to full charge. I honestly just hope that y!links reach won't be too short.

Last edited:

Hekpo

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheBenFactory
Switch FC
1085-1940-2511
Ahh. I like how you did that right there. The whole double-quote thing. Wym by reach. You mean appeal to people, or do you mean physical reach.

JadeRock 5599

Smash Cadet
I think they means his swords reach. Well at least he has a disjointed hitbox.

I see him having similar reach to toon link which I think would be fine.

JadeRock 5599

Smash Cadet
Well I don't know his range. I just assumed it would be about there.

Rewatching his trailer it looks pretty short, but that up smash and jab didn't look too bad.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Young Link HYPE!!!

So happy to see him return

Since Link is now BotW, Toon Link is Windwaker, Zelda is ALBW, Ganondorf is OoT and Sheik is, at least aesthetically, still very much TP, I feel like giving Young Link some MM flair would round everything out quite nicely.
Actually, Sheik's design is the sheikiah armour from Breath of the Wild

:135:

Votega

Smash Rookie
NNID
Votega
Shoutouts to up throw and up smash still having minimal end-lag. I really hope they extend his grab range, since its startup seems to be the same as Melee's. The game's landing lag reduction is also noticeable in his dair at the video's start. It's around 20 frames faster than Melee's, making it a lot closer to its L-cancelled speed. For when I make a dumb, y'know?

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Shoutouts to up throw and up smash still having minimal end-lag. I really hope they extend his grab range, since its startup seems to be the same as Melee's. The game's landing lag reduction is also noticeable in his dair at the video's start. It's around 20 frames faster than Melee's, making it a lot closer to its L-cancelled speed. For when I make a dumb, y'know?
Generally, if we believe Zero/M2K/ect, they made the landing lag universally less for most moves on most characters, because it's the closest thing to L-canceling, without being as stupid as L-canceling.

As M2K said, L-Canceling is just done, anytime, ever. There is no reason not to. It's like pot of greed, a nobrainer no strategy. Making all landing lags universal fast, seems good enough.

Top Bottom