• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Young Link Gameplay Footage

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There's finally some proper gameplay coming out:

Here's a new video of Young Link in free for alls as well a team matches.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
One thing that's better about Young link is his arrows. Look at 8:27 of the first video, he shoots a couple arrows in a row, and it just seems really good.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This very much looks like the pinnacle of classic Link play, one able to smoothly transition between zoning and close combat at a moment's notice. Smash 4 Link desperately needed this kind of mobility to make this playstyle work.

Hopefully BOTW Link's new bombs will give him the stage control needed to make his slower, heavier hitting style work.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This very much looks like the pinnacle of classic Link play, one able to smoothly transition between zoning and close combat at a moment's notice. Smash 4 Link desperately needed this kind of mobility to make this playstyle work.

Hopefully BOTW Link's new bombs will give him the stage control needed to make his slower, heavier hitting style work.
Yeh i think so. Each may have their own thing going, which is good.
Toon link has better mobility than young link, but looking at this gameplay, I feel like young link has maybe more interesting combos between quick melee and ranged. I still think toon link's going to have an easier time with ranged on his end.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Young Link's biggest weakness atm seems to be the ability to kill/kill confirms

A lot of the times, the Young Link player seem to rely on Final Smash to end a stock even when an opponent is at 150% percent

:135:

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice
Down air seems to do 15-18% And used to be a reliable kill move out of bomb confirm in melee. Seeing as his other moves all seem so close to his melee incarnation, perhaps landing a dair will be our way to end stocks?

Besides that, fair seems to start killing from 110%, and I've only seen nair's kill on high percent opponents, but it also looks surprisingly strong.
In any case, I'm fine with trading killpower for mobillity.

Also, you might want to add this Young Link doubles match to the list of footage. It's a little less skilled play, but should still be useful for moveset analysis.

Last edited:

Munky33

Smash Rookie
Is bomb to pop em up into dair still a thing?

Edit: I somehow missed the first line of the post above me. Hopefully it is because that will help immensely!

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Young Link's biggest weakness atm seems to be the ability to kill/kill confirms

A lot of the times, the Young Link player seem to rely on Final Smash to end a stock even when an opponent is at 150% percent

Down air seems to do 15-18% And used to be a reliable kill move out of bomb confirm in melee. Seeing as his other moves all seem so close to his melee incarnation, perhaps landing a dair will be our way to end stocks?

Besides that, fair seems to start killing from 110%, and I've only seen nair's kill on high percent opponents, but it also looks surprisingly strong.

Also, you might want to add this Young Link doubles match to the list of footage. It's a little less skilled play, but should still be useful for moveset analysis.
Yes his dair and fair kill pretty well. And landing down air on the ground is pretty safe (it also bounces nicely on shields). All of his aerials have incredibly good frame data and low landing lag :). And his arrows are fast. z-dropping bombs is easy too.

So even though he has less mobility than toon link, he can put a ton of pressure at close range as well as long range. He may only struggle a bit at mid-range.

Is bomb to pop em up into dair still a thing?

Edit: I somehow missed the first line of the post above me. Hopefully it is because that will help immensely!
The player playing him in the videos is good, but he didn't do too well to try stringing bombs to attacks, so I'm not sure if it's still a thing, but I think it is, tho since his horizonal speed isn't as good as melee, you have to be somewhat close to do it,

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

Yeah that's sort of why I also threw in Kill confirm as well, cause while Young Link does a some kill moves, the main struggle will be trying to find a chance to actually land or confirm them. Not impossible, moves like Fair and Nair can just be thrown out in neutral and if they connect it will most like kill, but Young Link will still have to work to find those situations

Yes his dair and fair kill pretty well. And landing down air on the ground is pretty safe (it also bounces nicely on shields). All of his aerials have incredibly good frame data and low landing lag :). And his arrows are fast. z-dropping bombs is easy too.

So even though he has less mobility than toon link, he can put a ton of pressure at close range as well as long range. He may only struggle a bit at mid-range.
Link seem like he is going to be the strongest Mid-range out of the 3 Links

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Good looking out. I have these three videos on the video archive thread as well. Kiro repped pretty well. Unfortunately he had to deal with final smash trump cards. The link trio have a tough one to land while Ike to some extent and Zelda to the extreme has an impossibly tough one to avoid.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
Those fire arrows make me want to play young link. I wonder if he can short hop arrow then have enough time to do a regular arrow to control space, while approaching.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Those fire arrows make me want to play young link. I wonder if he can short hop arrow then have enough time to do a regular arrow to control space, while approaching.
I dont think so, but it's still a really fast move. His short hop seems to be pretty high, so the opponent has to be pretty far away for it, and then if they're still far away one on the ground is quick enough, i think., It doesnt seem to have much lag in general, so i think they can be used in a lot of situations.

Also, just a note, I added a new video to the first post,, 4th one.
(There's multiple young link matches in it.)

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Ah man, hearing his little voice makes me so happy. Welcome back, Young Link. Here's to an excellent 2019 tournament year.

Top Bottom