• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Young Link for Smash Switch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingCloud

Smash Rookie
NNID
StrifeCake
3DS FC
3947-0980-6286
Switch FC
SW 5598 8373 5106
Hello everybody! I am KingCloud! I am here with my first thread.

And this thread is called:
Young Link for Smash Switch!

Even though, we have Toon Link now. I still miss Young Link from Melee! He was my main was I was younger. He still is my main!

Apperance:

Overall, I would like to see Young Link from Hyrule Warriors. But, you know what would be better? That's right.

YOUNG LINK FROM MAJORA'S MASK!

Yes. But now we shall move on to...

MOVESET

Same from Melee! Although, I would think the fire arrows would be faster and a bit more powerful. And I would think that Young Link's moves would be a bit more powerful (+2% damage) too! A new move I would add is an ice arrow. If you want, fire and ice arrows come in any times you want. I have codes for what arrows you would want.

Fire Arrow: Right, down, and face the enemy and shoot the arrow.

Ice Arrow Left, jump, then face the enemy and shoot the arrow

If you ask me, The Ice Arrow would freeze the enemy for 2 seconds. Also, making the enemy take 5% damage. And fire arrow would make the enemy take 8% damage.

Now if this character was a unlockable how would we unlock him?

Simple! Play Classic Mode with Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, and Toon Link! Easy right?

Now for the final one...

THE TAUNTS

First of all. I would like to bring back the original long milk taunt!

Now for other taunts, I think Young Link would grab out his sword and take a solider pose for 5 seconds. And for the other taunt. This is a bit like Luigi's foot taunt. Young Link grabs a bomb, and places it on his foot for a second and kicks it. If the bomb hits the enemy, the enemy will take 3% damage.

And that's all! If you agree with this, comment #YoungLinkFourSmashSwitch and that's all for today! Gooooodbye!

Last edited:

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Once a Smasher, always a Smasher is what I always say. I'm cool with the return of :younglinkmelee: but just one change I'd make to him is his down aerial. Y'all know how :4link:'s d-air can now spike as it comes out? Make YL's do the exact same thing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
With so many Link incarnations existing I think Young Link indeed should be back. He's a low effort addition, so why not. I don't expect and don't even want him to have a Mask based moveset, just make him a character with the same B moves as Link and Toon Link, and do something unique with the rest. If he'd came back similarly to Dr.Mario, as in mostly unchanged from Melee, he'd already be somewhat different due to Link's move set being different due to progression. Same as Mario and Doc. Or he could be like Roy, be more unique. If Wolf also comes back, and Roy and Lucinda stay, that's 3 characters with Fox and Marth as 'base'. So Link could have that too. Even Mario for all I care.

KingCloud

Smash Rookie
NNID
StrifeCake
3DS FC
3947-0980-6286
Switch FC
SW 5598 8373 5106
How are you attempting to post the pictures? Uploading from your device, or embedding them?
I put the link where I found them (for example: google.com/majorasmask1321321)

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
As much as Young Link is a redundant character who wouldn't add much to the game (at least if he help true to his Melee incarnation), I'd like it if he came back along with Pichu, Wolf, Ice Climbers and misc pokemons. Then the roster would be complete and Sakurai could move to Hawaii and never make a Smash game again.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Imo one of the coolest Melee characters, change 1-2 moves to make him a bit more different compared to Toon Link and that'd be fine. Definetely support. Would be nice if you could add a supporters list in the op.

L0rd Mace

Smash Rookie
I'd change his taunts. Instead if kicking a bomb and standing like a soldier, he should have different taunts. One of the taunts should be where he pulled a mask off his face, similar to Lucina, this would be a good taunt because characters should reflect their game. And young link is from Majora's Mask. I am unsure of the other taunt he would have, tell me if you have any ideas!

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Huge fan of Young Link and honestly would love to see him return to smash. Especially if they gave him his giant two hand sword from Hyrule Warriors. That would be amazing

:135:

Onyx Oblivian

Smash Journeyman
I want Young Link back with a Majora’s Mask moveset!

It doesn’t have to be full transformations like Brawl Pokémon Trainer, but maybe quick transformations that occur during moves

Like the Up recovery is Deku Link shooting out of a flower, and Z shield is Zora Link using the Zora shield, and Smash B is Gordon punch

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Majora's Mask Link would be amazing. Depending on how transformation are handled in Smash Switch, this could be legendary.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Majora's Mask Link would be amazing. Depending on how transformation are handled in Smash Switch, this could be legendary.
I do not feel masks are all that telling of the Zelda world. It was a mechanic used in one game. At the cost of making him a fully new character, why not have a fully new character who would be better appreciated?

In theory it would be great to have A Wolf Link and Midna, and Majora, and Vaati, and so many more.
But at that point I'd rather all four champions just be added- at least that helps round out the overall representation of Hyrule within the Zelda-Smash cast.

Zeallyx

I do not feel masks are all that telling of the Zelda world. It was a mechanic used in one game. At the cost of making him a fully new character, why not have a fully new character who would be better appreciated?

In theory it would be great to have A Wolf Link and Midna, and Majora, and Vaati, and so many more.
But at that point I'd rather all four champions just be added- at least that helps round out the overall representation of Hyrule within the Zelda-Smash cast.
Wolf Link + Midna was also a mechanic used in one game. Furthermore, in my eyes Skull Kid and Vaati would be just as good as additions as MM Link: all are unique and represent underrepresented instalments of the Zelda franchise.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Wolf Link + Midna was also a mechanic used in one game.
Yeah...that was exactly my point when comparing them to Skull Kid, Zant, and somewhat with Vaati (who is the second most recurring villain, so somewhat incongruent).

Ultimately, the world of Hyrule would, of course it is my opinion, be better represented by the various species that make it so unique. Such as those of the four champions, who harken back to dozens of games between them, while still being extremely fresh.

Last edited:

Zeallyx

Yeah...that was exactly my point when comparing them to Skull Kid, Zant, and somewhat with Vaati (who is the second most recurring villain, so somewhat incongruent).

Ultimately, the world of Hyrule would, of course it is my opinion, be better represented by the various species that make it so unique. Such as those of the four champions, who harken back to dozens of games between them, while still being extremely fresh.
I see. In my eyes MM Link, Skull Kid and Vaati better represent the LoZ franchise than the Champions. I might be biased against them though.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I see. In my eyes MM Link, Skull Kid and Vaati better represent the LoZ franchise than the Champions. I might be biased against them though.
Hence opinions being opinions.
I would like to ask what about them makes them seem like a better overall fit for the series.

The Rito, Goron, Gerudo, and Zora are crucial parts of Hyrule.
Any villain is an anomaly in the world, and only helps to flesh out the roster as far as there constantly being added any major villain.

One could argue that Skull Kid's/ a new young Link is most prominently shown with the idea that he can turn into a Goron, Zora, and Deku (another prominent species), and that then having the others is added bonus. Yet still, the mechanic of switching masks, transforming from one species into the next, is not a particularly Zelda-oriented concept. Surely that is a technique better used to an entire series where that is prominent.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'd love to see him make a return, however I'd like to see him make use of his masks with a reworked move set.
Just to help further him from the other Links.

Fierce Deity Final Smash!
Yes Please!

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Young Link in my opinion should use Masks (Deku, Goron, & Zora) with his Final Smash being Fierce Deity.

Skull Kid would make me really happy. Final Smash needs to be either the Moon to fall or Majora taking over him.

I'd really want Midna without Wolf Link. Midna deserves to be her own character not forced to partner with Link. If Young Link were to return it could mean we'd have 4 version of Link with Wolf Link. I'd rather Midna goes solo and have her Final Smash be her True Form as Twilight Princess as she would start out as Imp Midna.

Morbi

Scavenger
Masked Link is basically my most wanted character of all time, he is also perhaps the least likely. I believe we would sooner get Goku. Putting in that much work for a third Link that was already replaced is just not feasible in the slightest. It would be a dream come true, however. Even without the mask, I prefer him to Toon Link.

Zeallyx

Hence opinions being opinions.
I would like to ask what about them makes them seem like a better overall fit for the series.

The Rito, Goron, Gerudo, and Zora are crucial parts of Hyrule.
Any villain is an anomaly in the world, and only helps to flesh out the roster as far as there constantly being added any major villain.

One could argue that Skull Kid's/ a new young Link is most prominently shown with the idea that he can turn into a Goron, Zora, and Deku (another prominent species), and that then having the others is added bonus. Yet still, the mechanic of switching masks, transforming from one species into the next, is not a particularly Zelda-oriented concept. Surely that is a technique better used to an entire series where that is prominent.

To me, not the race of the character but the role in the story is the better indicator of how well a character represents the franchise. So Darunia, Mikau, Medli or Nabooru would be candidates, not because of their race, but because of their impact on the story. With that said, there are characters with even bigger roles: Skull Kid, MM Link, Ghirahim etc. These characters are better representations of the LoZ franchise because of their role in the stories. For me heritage in not a factor.

So I guess we agree that (one of) the champions would make a good addition, just (partially) for different reasons. Revali plz

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
To me, not the race of the character but the role in the story is the better indicator of how well a character represents the franchise. So Darunia, Mikau, Medli or Nabooru would be candidates, not because of their race, but because of their impact on the story. With that said, there are characters with even bigger roles: Skull Kid, MM Link, Ghirahim etc. These characters are better representations of the LoZ franchise because of their role in the stories. For me heritage in not a factor.

So I guess we agree that (one of) the champions would make a good addition, just (partially) for different reasons. Revali plz
No... I definitely dont think that having just one of the champions is a wise move. It could absolutely happen. It would just feel completely random to me to simply choose one, when the entire premise of those characters is that they are equally important and must work as a team of Hyrule's most elite agents. I'd go as far as to say it would be great to have Mipha, who could also be the Princess in an alt. There we get more games covered with more impact on story, but with the uniqueness of the fully fleshed out race involved in the game. Daruk could have even more alts.

In Zelda games, a character being important to the story means they are usually important to one game, and thats it. The different races in Hyrule help show the majesty of the world.
Let's compare it to Lord of the Rings. If a LotR, character-based game, came out, I would not expect to see every Hobbit and Elf. Sure, they are some of the main characters to the story, and there are big differences between Bilbo, Frodo, and Golem..but the magic of the world is somewhat lost if we only focus on the core characters and ignore the rest of the lore. I would want an Ent (the fighting trees), and one of the giant Spiders.

Zelda games focus on a point in Hyrule history, but ultimately the land is the main point of interest in the games. It is an entirely new magical world.

If we only get one new character from BotW, then I would hope for the King. He is the most unsung character of the actual story, and one that is completely new but immediately urgent from the storyline. And he could then do what a revamped Link or Zelda would not in this case do, which is adapt special attacks from the Champions' moves.

Last edited:

Zeallyx

No... I definitely dont think that having just one of the champions is a wise move. It could absolutely happen. It would just feel completely random to me to simply choose one, when the entire premise of those characters is that they are equally important and must work as a team of Hyrule's most elite agents. I'd go as far as to say it would be great to have Mipha, who could also be the Princess in an alt. There we get more games covered with more impact on story, but with the uniqueness of the fully fleshed out race involved in the game. Daruk could have even more alts.

In Zelda games, a character being important to the story means they are usually important to one game, and thats it. The different races in Hyrule help show the majesty of the world.
Let's compare it to Lord of the Rings. If a LotR, character-based game, came out, I would not expect to see every Hobbit and Elf. Sure, they are some of the main characters to the story, and there are big differences between Bilbo, Frodo, and Golem..but the magic of the world is somewhat lost if we only focus on the core characters and ignore the rest of the lore. I would want an Ent (the fighting trees), and one of the giant Spiders.

Zelda games focus on a point in Hyrule history, but ultimately the land is the main point of interest in the games. It is an entirely new magical world.

If we only get one new character from BotW, then I would hope for the King. He is the most unsung character of the actual story, and one that is completely new but immediately urgent from the storyline. And he could then do what a revamped Link or Zelda would not in this case do, which is adapt special attacks from the Champions' moves.
Let's just agree to disagree. To me, main characters are better representatives, for you recurring characters/themes are. I respect that.

On a side note, I don't see all champions becoming playable: that's a lot of character slots.

Last edited:

UnknownM

Smash Cadet
:younglinkmelee: with masks is actually a good idea.

YL could use a revamped moveset when performing Jabs, Aerials, Throws, and Smash attacks.

He could use Mikau's Boomerang Fins as his Side B.

Mikau's Lightning Shield could be his Down B and could work like:4ness:and:4lucas:'s PSI Magnet and have damaging hitboxes.

Darmani could be his Neutral B and could use his Ground Pound and Roll.

Then the Deku could use Deku Flowers to fly, his Up B.

Finally, Fierce Deity would be used as his Final Smash.

:4tlink: would then either keep his status as "smaller and faster than regular Link" or just be removed in entirety.

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I was thinking more like a fusion of Pokemon trainer's switching Pokemon and old Sheiks transformation. Rotate between Deku, Goron & Zora. For different abilities like the Pokemon Trainer did with different Pokemon. Young Link would fully transform into each Mask.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Count me as a supporter. I want YLink to return with a blend of his old Melee moveset and his MM moves.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I'm horrible with Link, Toon Link, and Young Link--but I definitely want to see the little guy return.

Although I'd be content with him having his Melee moves, and Smash U/3DS showed how succinct not having transforming characters could be, I'm in favor of the Majora's Mask transformations to a Deku Scrub, Goron, and Zora with his down special, much like Zelda/Sheik or the Pokemon Trainer.

Young Link would return, we'd get an awesome new moveset, and the Smash Bros. team wouldn't be chastised for having three Link clones.

(While he could be a texture swap of Toon Link, at the very least, I'd rather him have his own roster spot.)

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Add me in as a Supporter for Young Link to Return;
I Basically want to see the Fierce Deity Form be His Final Smash!!

P.S. #YoungLinkforSupersmashbrosUltimate

CONFIRMED!! (As far as Young Link being in the game; we still have yet to see his Final Smash)

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Found a video about a Sm4sh mod for Young Link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t12r7JulbDM

He's got an awesome design. I'd love to see him back looking like this, but of coursly with his own spot in the roster. There are enough differences between him and Tink imo.
That is one of the better mods I have ever seen, at least in a Smash context. I would genuinely be fine with that just as a skin despite the roster slot obviously being preferable.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
That is one of the better mods I have ever seen, at least in a Smash context. I would genuinely be fine with that just as a skin despite the roster slot obviously being preferable.
Yeah. And having him as a skin would be better than nothing. I like the cel shading look of Tink, it's just that I like Young Link's so much better but that's maybe due to nostalgia. Though Sakurai probably gives us either nothing or Yink gets his own spot, seeing what happened with Doc.

PF9

Smash Lord
During the Melee era, Young Link helped in taking care of Pichu (Big). He found that Zelda's Lullaby (when played on the Ocarina of Time) made a great lullaby for Pichu, and was effective in putting him to sleep when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom