• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Young Link Discussion

Rosy

Smash Apprentice
Hey Young Links! I'm a fairly new melee player looking for some advice...

What are YL best options after crouch cancelling something like a jab? (or just when your in close quarters).
Every time I'm jabbed it feels as though I can't get any move out fast enough before getting grabbed.
Depends on how their shield is looking. If it looks weak a d smash could poke it and send them off stage depend on percents.

You could also cross up them with a triple aeriel (really hard to do, but super optimal).

Rosy

Smash Apprentice
Can somebody tell me how Young Links CC works against characters get up attacks. I was playing yesterday and tried CC a fox's get up attack at super low percent but got knocked down and couldnt punish it. Super frustrating.

uglywombat2004

Smash Lord
Can somebody tell me how Young Links CC works against characters get up attacks. I was playing yesterday and tried CC a fox's get up attack at super low percent but got knocked down and couldnt punish it. Super frustrating.
Here's the info for that scenario:
  • The environment threshold for knockback is 80. This means that knockback > 80 gets you off the ground. You get knocked down when this isn't high enough to actually send you flying. A good example is Fox's shine, which has a fixed knockback of 80, meaning it is then only based on weight. Characters with weight above 86 slide (Marth and heavier), and those less than get knocked down. Young Link has 85 weight, so shine knocks him down.
  • Crouch canceling reduces knockback by a 3rd. This is why it is so OP against shine's fixed knockback. This also means it would take knockback > 120 to knock you down when crouch canceling.
  • Looking at Fox's getup attack hitbox data, he has no weight based knockback, but does have the highest base knockback of Fox's moves at 80. Young Link takes ~90 knockback at 0%, sending you into a downed state. Crouch canceling would negate this.
This leads me to believe you didn't crouch cancel, or you crouch canceled one hitbox, and perhaps let go and were hit by another hitbox (depending on how close you were). You would need around 100% while crouch canceling to go into knockdown from getup attack.

I believe crouch canceling only works if you are in the SquatWait action state, meaning if you did a down tilt or some other move, you would not longer be crouch canceling.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Hey Young Links! I'm a fairly new melee player looking for some advice...

What are YL best options after crouch cancelling something like a jab? (or just when your in close quarters).
Every time I'm jabbed it feels as though I can't get any move out fast enough before getting grabbed.
If you're sure a grab is coming then jump away or run away or spotdodges. Otherwise dsmash or usmash. Jab at lower %'s can easily get punished but later it's fine, even though it doesn't really put you in an advantage until it forces them to tech.

Generally speaking this is exactly the situation yl wants to be in as little as possible.

YL doesn't want to get caught standing next to people at all, that's how he loses! Instead of CC'ing being a priority (if it is), consider instead playing around running away and mixing rolls with spotdodges at close range, and letting yourself get popped up in the air by certain moves and then wavelanding away.

Unrelated note: imagine the opponent has the Hot Potato and is trying to give it to you.

Last edited:

Jlp

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keaton Benny
Thanks Dingding123 Dingding123 , this really helps.

I was unsure how I should be playing YL, you're so right about not wanting to be next to people, I lose most close quarter exchanges. Instead of trying to get moves in I'll try to create space.

Gotta work on my game plan.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Probably also worth noting: for being aggressive without projectiles, none of his aerials are bad, and while he's moving they can be tough to punish. Fair on a CC'ing opponent stuns them briefly - not long enough for a true combo but long enough for you to get moving again so long as you lcancelled. Also, landing a dash attack or downsmash at higher percents can lead to a gimp or, at worst, more time to use projectiles.

Rosy

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, there are times when I believe Young Link is viable because he definitely has options. Its just so hard at high level play. I can't seem to beat far better players like socal pr. But anybody below pr seems so doable.

TriNewton

Smash Cadet
Nair, by far. Same amount of reach and comes out faster. BUT you should use it only if someone whiffs something at the ledge. Sometimes people will try to bait an aerial at the ledge out and then hit you back offstage for it, and then you're stuck with no DJ.

DownDog

Smash Rookie
After grabbing a fastfaller, should I be throwing them up or down? What is the better option? I have been told to never throw to the right or left so I always have that out of the picture. I just started playing Young Link as well so any tips will help a lot!

Last edited:

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
After grabbing a fastfaller, should I be throwing them up or down? What is the better option? I have been told to never throw to the right or left so I always have that out of the picture. I just started playing Young Link as well so any tips will help a lot!

It depends. YL's throws are all kind of Meh. I'd probably say Dthrow to see if you can get a tech chase/read on their tech with a dash attack or Dsmash. If they're at HighMid/High percents, an Up throw could do well to setup up air chains or even a dair.

The Forward and Back throws sadly don't have many uses other than booting people offstage if you're at the ledge.

DrewZG

Smash Rookie
It depends. YL's throws are all kind of Meh. I'd probably say Dthrow to see if you can get a tech chase/read on their tech with a dash attack or Dsmash. If they're at HighMid/High percents, an Up throw could do well to setup up air chains or even a dair.

The Forward and Back throws sadly don't have many uses other than booting people offstage if you're at the ledge.
DONT LISTEN TO HIM HES A HATER
Lol jk
He's correct for the most part, but honestly I think the only thing holding YL's throws back is his horrendus grab.
Otherwise dthrow is actually pretty strong as it guarantees a tech chase on fastfallers at all relevant percents, and having a knockdown that already has you in position to tech chase is extremely useful. Ya boi Yink doesnt have any super powerful follow ups at low percent, but (even though difficult because of how slow the grab is) he can get a guaranteed tech chase grab off reaction, and I honestly think Yink and Link are the easiest characters to tech chase grab with if you have the read. Once you get to mid percent, I'd say up throw is better as it can combo into a multitude of options, such as all the stuff Benny mentioned (downsmash, dash attack, etc). Another handy option is up throw - up tilt, which can lead to some whacky stuff. You can even get some brutal follow ups if you can tech chase them with an up air (probably only viable on a tech in place read) which will pretty much get them to high percent for free off one convertion. Of course if you up throw them onto a platform, up air will be the best option to follow up 99% of the time.
At high percent is actually where Yink's throws really shine. His up throw and down throw pretty much become DI mix ups; if you think they'e going to hold in/no DI, down throw - downsmash will connect and (unless you're like right in the middle of the stage and they get the chance to tech) it will send them at an absolutely terrible angle off stage right where Yink is best at edge guarding. If you think they will DI out, then go for an up throw - up air, as I'm pretty sure you can land it guaranteed at like 90-130% if they hold out, but I need to lab it. Up throw is generally the safer option as you can also follow up on inward/no DI with an up air, and at like 120-150% I'm pretty sure up throw - dair is a straight up kill confirm on any DI, but again, need to lab it.
I'm not the best Yink in the world or anything but I hope this helped a little!

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
You can't reaction tech chase with young link's grab, or at least against tech in place. It's too slow.

I don't think there's a mix up with young link's throws at high percents. The opponent just DIs out. Up throw up air isn't a true combo.

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
You can't reaction tech chase with young link's grab, or at least against tech in place. It's too slow.
I'd say it's more like, don't expect to get 50 regrabs. Getting more than one grab is a dangerous game with the boy.
I'd say he's okay at covering basic techroll in, and techroll away. There are of course things you (read:) COULD ATTEMPT for tech in place which i do have to agree with you is difficult for YL to contest. Boomerang, or Hard Boomerang on a tech chase could be really good. you would have to jump and start throwing the boomerang where you think the tech is.

The footage here may be a little old, but you can see plenty of Young Link's capitalizing off of tech chase in this video:

I was posting as "Justice" at the time, so I'm in there too.

Molten even did a tiny proof of concept on fthrow (which i never use lol) and could have some applications at high percent, which YL usually has trouble chaining more than one attack against:

Molten's Video Description: "By being at the spacing required to use YL's D-smash to cover tech in place, missed tech and tech behind, YL can relatively easily dash and JC grab Fox teching away on reaction, thereby covering all tech options. Easy setups for techs which give you the time to get into the ideal spacing are, for example, by using D-tilt, F-throw, D-throw, smash boom, all DI dependent. In this clip, I set 20XX Fox to tech randomly, and hold shield. This video is of me throwing Fox, buffering walk to get to the right spacing for D-smash, and then reacting to him teching away and grabbing him."

Last edited:
Top Bottom