• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Young Link causes crashes in Subspace Emissary in Project M

MR. Quwusch

Smash Rookie
Hey!

I replaced Toon Link with Young Link and I wanted try to play Subspace Emissary as Young Link but the game crashes everytime. I copied young link from Smash 2 (Melee HD). But I really want to play him in Subspace emissary. I downloaded any young link pac data (example fittoonlink.pac) but some of them have really weird movesets and some of them crashes the game too. I really want to fix that problem.

Windhunter7

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so, the FitToonLink00.pcs files are what's used in Classic/VS Mode and whatnot, but the FitToonLink00.pac files are what's used in All Star/Boss Battles/SSE; so what you have to do is, open up FitToonLink00.pcs(Since that works) in Brawlbox, and save it as a .pair file(In a different directory, or with a different name temporarily, or it won't save it); this will save it as both a .pac and a .pcs with proper compression, so then all you have to do is put the generated FitToonLink00.pac onto the SD card

MR. Quwusch

Smash Rookie
Ok, so, the FitToonLink00.pcs files are what's used in Classic/VS Mode and whatnot, but the FitToonLink00.pac files are what's used in All Star/Boss Battles/SSE; so what you have to do is, open up FitToonLink00.pcs(Since that works) in Brawlbox, and save it as a .pair file(In a different directory, or with a different name temporarily, or it won't save it); this will save it as both a .pac and a .pcs with proper compression, so then all you have to do is put the generated FitToonLink00.pac onto the SD card
Hey! I tried to do it what you wrote to me but it keeps freezing again.

Windhunter7

Smash Apprentice
Yes. One more question. Should I just only put the .pac file into SD?
I apologize for such a late response, some stuff came up that made it so I had no time to check my email for the past month; unless he's a transforming character, you need only the .pac for SSE, and only the .pcs for Brawl mode; if you wish to do both, you need both the .pac and .pcs; the .pcs will be the exact same as the previous .pcs, so overwriting it with the new one is harmless anyways.

As for why it still doesn't work, I'm puzzled to this; the only reason I could think that it would still work only in VS. and not in SSE would be that the filesize compression algorithm is different for BrawlBox and the .pac is too large in filesize? What's the filesize of the .pac that's generated?

MR. Quwusch

Smash Rookie
I apologize for such a late response, some stuff came up that made it so I had no time to check my email for the past month; unless he's a transforming character, you need only the .pac for SSE, and only the .pcs for Brawl mode; if you wish to do both, you need both the .pac and .pcs; the .pcs will be the exact same as the previous .pcs, so overwriting it with the new one is harmless anyways.

As for why it still doesn't work, I'm puzzled to this; the only reason I could think that it would still work only in VS. and not in SSE would be that the filesize compression algorithm is different for BrawlBox and the .pac is too large in filesize? What's the filesize of the .pac that's generated?

Um... all of Young Links costume .pac files has 983 kilobyte. The .pcs files has between 470 to 480 kilobyte and the FitToonLink.pac (Fighter Young Link) has 535 kilobyte.

Windhunter7

Smash Apprentice
Would you mind sending me the .pac and .pcs you're trying to use, then? I'll attempt at investigating it further; I can't promise that I'll even look at them within a month(As you can see, I didn't see the previous message for over a month because I was just that busy with school), and I also can't promise that I can figure it out, but I would like to try.

My email you can send it to is chessmanevan@gmail.com

MR. Quwusch

Smash Rookie
Would you mind sending me the .pac and .pcs you're trying to use, then? I'll attempt at investigating it further; I can't promise that I'll even look at them within a month(As you can see, I didn't see the previous message for over a month because I was just that busy with school), and I also can't promise that I can figure it out, but I would like to try.

My email you can send it to is chessmanevan@gmail.com
Thank you for your answer. I sent you an e-mail with the .pac files.

Windhunter7

Smash Apprentice
Ok, yeah, I figured out the problem; it's neither compression nor filesize issues(I don't think), but this is definitely causing freezing, both in SSE and during Brawl mode if you select this skin(The 00 skin, at the very least; possibly some others, too, I didn't check them): This particular costume, if you expand the first BRRES in Brawlbox, then expand the MDL0 and expand the Bones folder, and expand the bones until you find the ThrowN bone, if you select that(Which is the end bone in almost all models), it has a BoneIndex of 79, whereas vBrawl Toon Link, for the same bone, is 82; ANY time where the model you have has FEWER bones than you're replacing will ALWAYS freeze the game; if you add extra bones, technically it won't freeze; however, it will probably have glitches of some sort, be it graphical or gameplay-related; so it's much better to use proper methodology(Snoopy from kc-mm has a REALLY good tutorial somewhere on bone edits of this sort; I forget where, but it's how I started)

Top Bottom