• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Young Link and Link - both or just one?

The Carpenter

Smash Apprentice
Wondering if any other Young Link players on the boards also play Link (or used to.) My main is actually Luigi but I use both Links also mostly for matchups that I don't like using Luigi for.

For the longest time my main was Link and when I picked up YL for the first time seriously I decided I like both of them and use them for different matchups. For the first time now though I am starting to wonder if Link really has a one up over YL in the matchups I use him for and though I've always loved playing Link I'm wondering if I should just drop him.

I'm open to advice from anyone who plays either or both Links but I'd really like mostly to hear from someone who uses or has used both.

Matchups that I use YL for: :marthmelee::samusmelee::mewtwomelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee:
Matchups that I use Link for: :peachmelee::icsmelee::ganondorfmelee::dkmelee::bowsermelee::linkmelee:
Any other matchup not listed I use Luigi for.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Young Link does better against:
:samusmelee::mewtwomelee::icsmelee::peachmelee::dkmelee::linkmelee::younglinkmelee:
Link does better against:
:marthmelee::roymelee:
They do comparably against:
:bowsermelee::ganondorfmelee:

Luigi does better than either of them against ICs and probably Roy.

The Carpenter

Smash Apprentice
I'm still in experimentation with a lot of these, so I'll definitely try out those assertions. The one that I feel like I do know about though is Marth and from my experience (I have more experience fighting Marth than any other S tier, as many players main him where I go for local tournys) YL does better but not by a long shot. If the Marth is aggressive, Link is out of the question (I spend half the match tech rolling out of attacks lol.)

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Link vs. Marth is a classically weird matchup for Marth, because Link has enough range to play a true neutral with Marth while also having projectiles (particularly his boomerang) to force Marth to commit, and has traditionally been considered one of Link's best high-tier matchups. By contrast, Young Link vs Marth is a kind of gimmicky matchup because we can't actually compete with him -- we have to hope he screws up, get a hit-confirm in, and go really in on him.

If you're losing to an aggressive Marth as Link, then you'd have to work on your defense, as Marth shouldn't be able to just consistently go in on Link. I don't know enough tactics in the matchup in that regard (tech in place more often? I know Link's do that a lot.), but there are a lot of good Marth-Link sets, particularly GERM vs Tai.

The Carpenter

Smash Apprentice
I have seen that match actually. Granted Germ is one of the best Links out there but I get your point. Honestly it's probably just a matter of inexperience for me. I like the idea of teching in place, that could be a big part of my issues because for some reason I have an almost instinctual habit of teching to either side.

Top Bottom