• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You think Mr game and watch is Underrated?

Vincey_Boi

Smash Apprentice
I consider Mr game and watch a low tier but other's consider him to be very underrated bc he has some nice combo game.But until i see a Game and watch that is very good i am not moving him up from D tier on my list. I think what really messed him up was the removal of his foward air a really good kill option.But i wanna hear your guy's thoughts.

Tw0Dimensi0nal

Smash Rookie
G&W's movement and general tendency to be vulnerable makes him more challenging to use than most of the cast, but he has a ton of things that make him a nightmare in the hands of someone who is really good at reading and punishing:

a) the d-smash to f-smash kill confirm on almost the entire cast at around 65%
b) one of the best recoveries in the game that is also an attack that is good at escaping combos and has priority over almost everyone else's attacks
c) aerials that have priority over most attacks (minus his f-air which is obviously his most lacking move), including a solid juggle move and turtle which is disjointed
d) a fast and infinite jab
e) a reflector AND insta-death move in the bucket, which is now very safe to throw out thanks to reduced end lag
f) the occasional lucky 9

If you think about it, every one of his moves offers an interestingly unique attack option, giving him A LOT of variance in a game where matchup knowledge is becoming increasingly important. He has a game plan against n-air spamming swords and grapplers, etc.

I say he's extremely underrated. But it takes a very good understanding of his tools to use him to his potential.

Vincey_Boi

Smash Apprentice
Yeah i cant really see a lot of good in the character since i hear a lot of **** talk about the character

Last edited:

Vincey_Boi

Smash Apprentice
True, I honestly need to try and see the good in most other characters it is pretty hard though when you cant connect with some combo's strats and other things like that.

Tw0Dimensi0nal

Smash Rookie
True combos are nice– and G&W doesn't really have them, but who needs them when you can kill everyone at 65%? As soon as I win a few exchanges in neutral I just start focusing on how I can trick my opponent into either landing close to me from the air, spot-dodging, or rolling into the d-smash sweet spot.

The hate toward the character comes from the f-air (because people are mostly using it wrong and it does kind of suck), the fact that he doesn't have fancy tech or true combos like a lot of others, he's light, and casuals play him really badly. In general, people have a hard time understanding how G&W works and when they lose to him, they don't even know what happened (I'm sure some people are still unaware of the d-smash to f-smash kill confirm at this point). At higher levels, one could argue he's got the most versatile toolkit in the game.

Very underrated character. If he gets his invincible u-smash back he's very good.

edit: one thing I've left out is his crouch, which ducks under A LOT more things than people realize. Another easy way to get a d-smash.

Last edited:

candysell

Smash Cadet
As a Game&Watch main, he is very underrated. The fact that nobody uses him though is a good thing. It means main people won't know how to fight against him. The DSmash to FSmash is reliable and kills at fairly low %. The bucket is a reflector and it absorbs. So characters that rely heavily on projectiles, like Snake, are at a major disadventage. Especially, when I could just run after his explosives and pull my bucket out, then releasing it onto Snake which is a 0 to death kill.

Game&Watch's edge guarding is great and if he is on the receiving end then going after him is a mistake.

Game&Watch's down throw to uair to up b to dair usually works well and racks up damage.

A good Game&Watch is a nightmare.

Vincey_Boi

Smash Apprentice
As a Game&Watch main, he is very underrated. The fact that nobody uses him though is a good thing. It means main people won't know how to fight against him. The DSmash to FSmash is reliable and kills at fairly low %. The bucket is a reflector and it absorbs. So characters that rely heavily on projectiles, like Snake, are at a major disadventage. Especially, when I could just run after his explosives and pull my bucket out, then releasing it onto Snake which is a 0 to death kill.

Game&Watch's edge guarding is great and if he is on the receiving end then going after him is a mistake.

Game&Watch's down throw to uair to up b to dair usually works well and racks up damage.

A good Game&Watch is a nightmare.
*Ahem* *Cough* *Cough* Maister *cough*

chur

Smash Rookie
i think they buffed my guy, but also everyone else is also just more competitively viable, i really like his fair and think that its some good shield pressure but his smash attack don't really feel as powerful as they once were and i've gotten punished a lot :/ , overall i think he isn't "underrated" but i do believe some peeps are sleeping on him and that's holding him back ((coming from a decent casual trying to get better))

Dexident

Smash Journeyman
I definitely think he is underrated. Especially considering Zero just rated him as 74th in the game just above Little Mac (what a joke). At first I was severely disappointed with the changes to his fair, however now that I am getting more accustomed to this new game I can see clearly that it has a ton of good uses, it still kills around the same percents that his old one did and it was really that I was just muscle trained to the physics of his old fair was why I hated it so much. It sucks that it doesn't have priority over anything at all, however imagine if it did. . . it would be completely broken. As it stands it is a good mix up tool and if they are blocking many people don't remember the second explosion of it and you can catch people off guard.

But honestly, this is the best he has ever been IMO. The changes to his neutral b, up b, and down b are incredible and they add an entire new dynamic to his play that was never there before.

In previous games using the bucket to absorb projectiles, even when you succeeded was almost always a guaranteed punish for the enemy because of how slow and laggy the move was. It now comes and goes very fast. It is SO much safer to use. The fact that it now reflects physical projectiles is absolutely insane and SO much more than I could have asked for. Match-ups that used to be nearly impossible have now become almost turned in his favor.

His neutral b, chef is now much less laggy and is SO useful as a spacing tool and as an edge-guard.

His up-b now has instant starting hit boxes and literally it is a broken move. It goes through everything. The way that he is played (IMO) is quite different than in previous Smash games, but I think that he is legitimately powerful and definitely slept on.

Considering that the current meta is all about sword characters and spaceys jumping around spamming air attacks, and that projectiles are considered very strong, G & W is in a very solid counter pick state. HIs new up -b counters people that jump around spamming air attacks, his new bucket counters all projectiles (it can straight up reflect Olimar Smash attacks!!) and his chef is so good at gimping in a game where air dodging is heavily nerfed.

Love me some G & W.

Vermilion

Smash Cadet
Mr. GW is slept on HARD. Sure, his F-air could use slight improvements, but he does surprisingly well against a bunch of the cast. Pikachu and Pichu are top tier threats that Mr. GW can deal with relatively well thanks to bucket practically removing both of their Neutral-B’s. Snake vs. Mr. GW is tragic for Snake for obvious reasons. He does okay against Palutena because both of her projectiles fill bucket instantly (although the Oil Panic is weak with her projectiles). Chef destroys Chrom’s Up-B iirc. B-air is excellent at spacing out most of the cast. Bucket reflects Olimar’s Side-B and all of his Smash attacks. Bucket can make Pac-Man’s bonus fruit and hydrant difficult and risky to use. Etc, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom