• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You pull a Stitch...now what?

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
What do you do with a Stitch/Dot Eyes/Bob-omb to ensure that you get some sort of value off of it?

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
tbh, if its low percentages and I know I wont get KOd, I like to throw the stitch/doteye REALLY close.
Usually, you can follow up with an immediate dash attack while catching the turnip AGAIN.

if I get hit, usually throwing/Z-dropping is a very fast "attack" that you can do to interrupt the enemy combo anyway!

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
tbh, if its low percentages and I know I wont get KOd, I like to throw the stitch/doteye REALLY close.
Usually, you can follow up with an immediate dash attack while catching the turnip AGAIN.

if I get hit, usually throwing/Z-dropping is a very fast "attack" that you can do to interrupt the enemy combo anyway!
Do you try and initiate that situation or leverage the presence that a good turnip grants? I honestly need to practice Z-dropping and using an aerial AND THEN dropping float so that I don't drop the item.

I feel like pulling a stitch grants more of a presence than Cloud Limit or KO Punch.

Johhny_C_Bad

Smash Rookie
Honestly, I hold onto it and see how my opponent reacts. Sometimes they don't even know that its a stitch and if you can realize that you can use that to your advantage by throwing it at an unexpected time. I like to let my opponent freak out a little bit if they do realize, and wait for them to accidentally roll or something and punish them that way.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I usually do one of the following:

Throw it in the air, grab opponent, throw them into it with U-throw or Back throw, depending on its location. Sometimes leads into a follow-up attack.

Edgeguard with it if they're trying to recover. Kills very early. If you Z-drop it at the ledge and it missed the opponent, you can use Toad if they try to recover from the ledge with an attack.

Hold onto it to intimidate. Hit opponent with aerials (via float cancelling on the ground), side-B, etc. Then finally throw it when their guard is down, or as a follow-up attack.

Use it to break shields.

Hit them with it and try to re-catch it as much as possible. Dash attacking helps.

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
I usually do one of the following:

Throw it in the air, grab opponent, throw them into it with U-throw or Back throw, depending on its location. Sometimes leads into a follow-up attack.

Edgeguard with it if they're trying to recover. Kills very early. If you Z-drop it at the ledge and it missed the opponent, you can use Toad if they try to recover from the ledge with an attack.

Hold onto it to intimidate. Hit opponent with aerials (via float cancelling on the ground), side-B, etc. Then finally throw it when their guard is down, or as a follow-up attack.

Use it to break shields.

Hit them with it and try to re-catch it as much as possible. Dash attacking helps.
I've been practicing playing neutral like normal while holding onto a turnip. So often Peach players will throw the turnip rather than holding onto it. Our mindset becomes, "Well, I can just pull another. The opportunity cost is low if I just chuck it." We fail to realize that while the opportunity cost is low, it can make our neutral more linear than it should be. Instead of just chucking the turnip, we could, say, pressure their shield with a float dair like normal > fastfall Z-drop nair > turnip throw > SH dair > poke shield and get a guaranteed fair/side-b. It technically raises the chances of getting a Stitch, despite the fact that we are pulling turnips less often with this newer mindset. I have seen Samsora get a good pull and IMMEDIATELY throw it away without thinking more times than I have actually seen him USE one of those good pulls in a meaningful way.

I think that the best thing to do with a Stitch is to hold onto it. The longer we do, the greater the chances that our opponent will crack from the pressure. It's like a Wario Waft; even MKLeo has panic rolled when faced by Waft. That way we can look for the dash attack, dair, or edgeguard that will give us a good opportunity to get some use out of it.

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
Do you try and initiate that situation or leverage the presence that a good turnip grants? I honestly need to practice Z-dropping and using an aerial AND THEN dropping float so that I don't drop the item.

I feel like pulling a stitch grants more of a presence than Cloud Limit or KO Punch.
I usually like to move around the stage and bait for an oppotunity to punish. I actually did this yesterday on a Lucas who tried to Up-Smash me and it missed.

Additionally, to help possible pluck more stitchies, I often pluck 3-4 turnips between every opponents stock, as it takes them time to reload back on . to the stage. So Im always pluckin away....

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
I usually like to move around the stage and bait for an oppotunity to punish. I actually did this yesterday on a Lucas who tried to Up-Smash me and it missed.

Additionally, to help possible pluck more stitchies, I often pluck 3-4 turnips between every opponents stock, as it takes them time to reload back on . to the stage. So Im always pluckin away....
Poor Lucas and his 1.256879 million frames of endlag on up-smash.

Worth noting that it's not a good idea to throw turnips upward between stocks unless you're on a big stage. Your opponent can respawn and grab one.

Top Bottom