• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You know what really grinds my gears? Calling it a "Control Stick". /facepalm

The best name BY FAR goes to....

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arrestme

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eulogy
Mostly everyone feels a need to call the left GCC stick mainly "the control stick", regardless of that same person rightfully calling the right stick "the C-stick", and with absolutely no qualms with their obvious blunder. To be fair, even Nintendo & Wikipedia do it, & most people see the problem (even trying "analog", "thumb", or even "joy" stick), yet carry on as if it would take some huge effort to correct, like Nintendo endorsing this very post. So with such a technical community as this, this is extremely saddening to see.

One assumes rightly that the C in the right hand "C-stick" probably stands for "Control" too, yet still call the left stick the "control stick". Even if somehow the C-stick "C" stood for another C word, it wouldn't help calling the left stick yet another C word, would it? Be part of the solution, not the problem.

Aside from using "control stick (man i hate people)", some players might use the term "directional stick", & still not see that the solution for a uniform label is slapping them in the face!

It is mostly a directional stick, in fact. So call it a damn D-STICK!!!!
The C-stick is so obviously the REAL "control stick".
It's right above the "D-PAD". (don't even try saying this is the real d-stick, or i'll slap u with MY real d-stick).
It's rhymes with the other sticks nickname while still being phonetically unique.

I try, & I've still yet to ever heard it said. When I use it, people give me a look like I've taken some crazed liberty & renamed their families dying dog. Or like if u accidentally called ur gf another girl's name. Yes, I get that look. They might say "whaat's a d-stick u homo?? U mean C-stick?? The D-stick is for taunting u idiot!" without ever picking up the term, even when corrected.

I don't care what other people say, or think, but I'M TIRED OF IT & THIS RANT WAS NECESSARY!! :)

Last edited:

Arrestme

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eulogy
Thx Spak, I pointed that out in the topic title, yet you probably didn't read that either. Nice picture; Do you call the D-pad "Control Pad" too or "C-pad" like it says too?? No, unless want to mislead us all some more, you call it the D-Pad. Again showing it doesn't matter what Nintendo says. Or you apparently. I'm not saying call it the Mudkip stick. So get real. Just call it a damn "D-stick", why continue this thinly veiled charade of superior understanding?

The above picture & poster shows clearly this misconception, possibly due to translators/advisers/unearned pride/etc. You in fact, don't have to deal with ignorance Spak. I sure refuse to unless u prove otherwise.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
You call the D-pad "Control Pad" too I bet? No you call it the D-pad. Nice try though. Call it the D-stick.

Like I already said; regardless if Nintendo & Wikipedia don't endorse this post, it's just more proper.

Another perfect example of someone acting like I called it the Mudkip stick. Get real...
No, I actually combine Directional Buttons and Control Pad. It's a bit unkosher, but it made sense when I was a kid because I started on the PS2.

2015-01-17 19.10.30.jpg

EDIT: You should denote what you edited in your post when you edit it. Also, maybe we should start calling the D-pad the Control Pad; it is the proper name for it.

EDIT 2: Jeez, I just read your edited version. You don't need to be so mean about everything. This is Smashboards, not the YouTube comment section.

Last edited:

HMWii22

BRoomer
BRoomer
Who cares? People will complain about literally anything, jesus christ.

I say joystick btw, how does this make you feel?

Last edited:

Arrestme

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eulogy
Talk about mean, this person just posted "Who cares" to a constructive topic. Sure I complained about it, but it's not a complaint it's a correction. Correct yourself ma'am. I'm not being mean, just demand a real argument that every1 pretends exists. Apparently it's the only way to get across to this board?

Arrestme

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eulogy
Again, if you call it the control pad like you said you might cuz it's more official, then you should call it the "C-Pad". Will you? Will people? Nope I highly doubt it. Proving that it should be called what's more practical. Proving we should adopt D-stick instead of control stick.

You don't care HMWii22? How about facts. Besides the one you just self-proclaimed about people complaining about anything. Holy Krishna....ppl will say anything to talk around what they simply can't admit.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Again, if you call it the control pad like you said you might cuz it's more official, then you should call it the "C-Pad". Will you? Will people? Nope I highly doubt it. Proving that it should be called what's more practical. Proving we should adopt D-stick instead of control stick. You don't care HMWii22? You're the only one complaining. How about facts. Holy Krishna....
Yeah, but if we call it the D-Stick, people will just make dirty jokes.

Last edited:

Arrestme

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eulogy
Good point, I mentioned that in my tl:dr post. Don't mean to be one myself, but couldn't we assume the same with the C-stick? U never hear some1 call it a **** stick.

:edit: also, i used to play Lineage II & was clan/ally leader of an immense top force on multiple servers, so my point is I'm used to dealing with aggressive forum posters, I wanted to offer my apologies here in this annotated edit just for you Spak. :)

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I suppose, but if you just say he has a C, people wouldn't know what you'd be talking about.

EDIT: Thank you for apologizing, Arrestme :)

Last edited:

Arrestme

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eulogy
You'd have to say he is a C, or she has one shiny C to be accurate. People will know in either case.

You are right in that maybe people won't understand it at first, which is something I hope anyone can explain for me. I mentioned the looks I get from saying "D-stick", right? Why is that? Unless some1 makes an amazing point, this is proven to be more accurate and practical. As well as maybe even "parody-proof", such as your recent **** example.

:edit: P.S. Rly I shouldn't have Spak, so np; My aggressions reserved for now HMWii22 now rofl. Buuuut btw If you want to change your vote at any time feel free to post that too. xD

:edit2: This thread's about to gain some real traction, I can feel it in my Deku-stick! :troll:

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Been processing this for a good half hour while doing other stuff and I can't think of a reason not to call it a D-Stick. The only problem is how to make a community-wide change on such a small, almost unnecessary change.

Kadano

Magical Express
Yeah, but if we call it the D-Stick, people will just make dirty jokes.
Let’s be honest, this is a real problem. I do agree that “control stick” is very unfortunate naming on Nintendo’s part.

Last edited:

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
One assumes rightly that the C in the right hand "C-stick" probably stands for "Control" too, yet still call the left stick the "control stick". Even if somehow the C-stick "C" stood for another C word, it wouldn't help calling the left stick yet another C word, would it? Be part of the solution, not the problem.
The C Stick is called such because it harkens back to the C Buttons of the N64. It doesn't stand for control. It doesn't need to stand for anything just like A, B, X, and Y buttons don't stand for anything. The Control Stick makes since because it's used to control your character.

Anyway, call it what you want, but leave others to call it what they want and don't say that everyone, even the official sources, are all "wrong." This is a stupid thread that should be locked.

-Dubs

Smash Cadet
I've always called it the analog stick. Never really gave much thought to it.

AirFair

Marth tho
Tbh I don't even know how this is a thread. It's really just a minor issue if anything imo. I say control stick, and like Stratocaster said above, a c-stick is like the c buttons of the N64 controller, so I don't really have a problem.

Bluelink12

Smash Rookie
I thought the C in c stick or c buttons stood for camera, since thats what it controlled in Mario 64 which is what the n64 controller was designed for

Zodiac

Smash Master
Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick Control Stick

you're crazy.

since the conversation has been opened

to set the record straight for everyone

nintendo (technically gunpei yokoi, creator of DK, game & watch, the gameboy, and the extend-o grabby hand toys 'ultra hand') invented the 4-way directional pad, which nintendo carried over to the NES and called the 'control pad'

so point 1: the 'correct' name would be a control pad because nintendo essentially created it and named it, but a technical description for it would yield 'directional pad'

nintendo also created the first thumb-controlled joystick, for the nintendo 64. it was digital as opposed to 'analog', but it was the first of many thumb-controlled pads to come, all of which function similar

so point 2: the 'correct' name would be a control stick because nintendo created it and named it, but a technical description of most of the sticks now would be 'analog stick' (save for n64, which was digital)

c-stick was derived alphabetically and it's c-stuck now

/thread

Acryte

Smash Ace
I know the name of someone who is going to look back later in life and facepalm.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
Fox and Falco's shine and lasers are officially called reflector and blaster respectively. Don't really care though. :happysheep::happysheep::happysheep:

Arrestme

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eulogy
so point 1: the 'correct' name would be a control pad because nintendo essentially created it and named it, but a technical description for it would yield 'directional pad'.
so point 2: the 'correct' name would be a control stick because nintendo created it and named it, but a technical description of most of the sticks now would be 'analog stick' (save for n64, which was digital)

c-stick was derived alphabetically and it's c-stuck now
/thread
Not....wrong, yet not a /thread moment partner... I'll be the one /thread-ing around these parts. Read more IN to what's already been said friend.

Points 1&2 have indeed been discussed. The "player description", as u gingerly put it, is clearly the land-slide mode of definition favored by **players** (keep that in mind). This does not acknowledge a single cornerstone of your argument, but all in favor of the original *supposed* "ease & logic" description. It is a bit c-stuck tho, I'll give u that. Very apparently from the 64 days.

Yet all penniless thoughts, I'm afraid.. since before this thread even broke a sweat, each of those points were respectfully considered.
Due to rampant trolling away from a factually correct conclusion, on behalf of my OP, I proclaim the logic is self-evident. Nothing less & nothing more.

All these 2014 users sure complain a lot, lol.
Facts don't complain. They tend to just fly in the face of ignorance. The most logical conclusion has been shown, believe it or not.
Disagree? Ur complatin! (complainin + hatin)
Re-read IN to almost any post here, all ready & clear just for you! :)
Or give us some more "you're so 2000 & late" GEMs.

Breh...Quit complatin!

/THREAD

This thread is just frustrating. I really don't like this OP.
Remember these immortal words from this legendary man!..
I mean THESE words:
Been processing this for a good half hour while doing other stuff and I can't think of a reason not to call it a D-Stick. The only problem is how to make a community-wide change on such a small, almost unnecessary change.

dfrogman

Smash Cadet
i always thought the c in c stick was just a reference to the c buttons on the nintendo 64 controller, which the c stick is essentially a functional upgrade of and which i assume its color is supposed to match

Last edited:

Tship

Smash Rookie
i always thought the c in c stick was just a reference to the c buttons on the nintendo 64 controller, which the c stick is essentially a functional upgrade of and which i assume its color is supposed to match

You are correct. C-stick references the c-buttons. Has nothing to do with being a "control" stick whereas the analog stick on the left side of the controller controls the character.

The d-pad is called a directional button since there are only 4 directions and it hits only one at a time where as the control stick can combine vectors creating much more functional and controlled movement.

AJawesome07

Smash Apprentice
The yellow Cstick is called that because it's a continuation of the C buttons on the N64 controller. The "C" stands for Camera and I'm pretty sure they were added in the first place for Mario64.

Ral

Smash Rookie
Control Stick, Joystick, Analog Stick, call it whatever you want, just don't decide everyone should call it "The D-Stick" because you thought of it one day and thought it would be funny, god damn. Secondly, it sounds ********.

Kadano

Magical Express
Since everything important seems to have been said already and quite a few people, including the thread creator, have expressed their wish of having this thread closed, I’m doing that now. If you have a good reason for why it should be unlocked again, send me a private message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom