• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You Know the Drill - Jill (Drill Dozer) Support Thread

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I wonder why this game never got a sequel. Did it sell that poorly? Because the concept was great and it was executed amazingly.
Before the Gear Project was a thing, Game Freak barely paid any attention to their non-Pokemon projects.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I wonder why this game never got a sequel. Did it sell that poorly? Because the concept was great and it was executed amazingly.
from what I can tell it sold really poorly, no big surprise either - it came out at the tail end of the GBA's lifespan, after the DS' release in fact, and the concept was a really hard sell by 2006 standards - "8 year old girl pilots a drill robot to fight a corrupt police force" isn't something that had mass appeal at the time.

anyway, did that fake "female character in a mecha who will disappoint a lot of people" leak remind anyone else of Jill?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Before the Gear Project was a thing, Game Freak barely paid any attention to their non-Pokemon projects.
Do they still do so?

from what I can tell it sold really poorly, no big surprise either - it came out at the tail end of the GBA's lifespan, after the DS' release in fact, and the concept was a really hard sell by 2006 standards - "8 year old girl pilots a drill robot to fight a corrupt police force" isn't something that had mass appeal at the time.

anyway, did that fake "female character in a mecha who will disappoint a lot of people" leak remind anyone else of Jill?
Man, that is REALLY sad. I wonder if GF would be willing to take another stab at Drill Dozer...

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
It could really benefit from a low budget e-shop revival. I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't taken much advantage of the eshop for bringing back some less popular series

D

Deleted member

Drill Dozer? I hear that is a fun game.... i wonder.... WAIT A MINUTE! Jill can still be in Smash Ultimate! MOAR DLC FIGHTERS ARE KOH-MING! There is a Possible chanc3 for First Party Nintendo Characters to become True Fighters! But wait a minute, if the main protagonist's name is Jill, that is gonna Confuse the Resident Evil fanbase! We got 2 characters named Jill from 2 different game series now!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Drill Dozer? I hear that is a fun game.... i wonder.... WAIT A MINUTE! Jill can still be in Smash Ultimate! MOAR DLC FIGHTERS ARE KOH-MING! There is a Possible chanc3 for First Party Nintendo Characters to become True Fighters! But wait a minute, if the main protagonist's name is Jill, that is gonna Confuse the Resident Evil fanbase! We got 2 characters named Jill from 2 different game series now!
Didn't matter with the Roys.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Does anyone have an idea as to why Jill didn't return as an AT? I'm going to assume that Pokemon being as big as it is, Sakurai and/or GameFreak didn't see much reason in bringing her back. I mean, it's nice she got a Spirit, but still.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Does anyone have an idea as to why Jill didn't return as an AT? I'm going to assume that Pokemon being as big as it is, Sakurai and/or GameFreak didn't see much reason in bringing her back. I mean, it's nice she got a Spirit, but still.
I’d assume limited resources. And while I’m here I may as well throw my support in for Jill. Really cool character with lots of potential

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
It'd be cool if Jill had Gearmo and Grutch as alt characters - perhaps they could use the enhanced purple and red versions of the Drill Dozer, while Jill's alts get recoloured Drill Dozers that match her alternate outfits. Doug wouldn't really fit Jill's proportions though.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
My rage over Pyra has reinvigorated my desire for our favourite pink-haired vigilante to make the cut - it's really drawn my attention to how needlessly sexualised (if needed sexualisation is a thing at all) the female Smash cast is, (something I've already been aware of for some time) and there's no better antidote to T&A than a little girl in a spherical robot that covers her entire body!

zferolie

Smash Hero

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Honestly you ain't wrong. Nintendo is very bad lately(past 10 years or so) at pretty much neglecting any series not named Mario Pokemon Zelda or splatoon.
maybe my poll will bring her more support.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

Drew my most wanted gang!
I don't think this motley crew would make good Red Dozers though... "hiyaa! HIYAAAA!" probably draws enough unwanted attention in a stealth setting, a "what could possibly go wrong?", "waaaah!" or "woah!" would not help.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Had a go at drawing a very rough moveset for Jill. Hopefully it's at least legible.
04B3638B-4B84-46E5-9C8F-BE91E02B9768.jpeg

Wanted to draw throws but got lazy. I had the idea of Jill forcing a foe inside the dozer and letting the machinery do its thing as a down throw at least.

Never planned to do specials, though I have ideas - the punch works better as a forward smash IMO, same stance I have on Wario's shoulder bash - a very iconic move to the character that if possible should be in the moveset, but not unique enough to justify as a special.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Had a go at drawing a very rough moveset for Jill. Hopefully it's at least legible.
View attachment 323105
Wanted to draw throws but got lazy. I had the idea of Jill forcing a foe inside the dozer and letting the machinery do its thing as a down throw at least.

Never planned to do specials, though I have ideas - the punch works better as a forward smash IMO, same stance I have on Wario's shoulder bash - a very iconic move to the character that if possible should be in the moveset, but not unique enough to justify as a special.
Hey, this is really good! I can't speak for anyone else, but I can follow this pretty well! Now that I'm talking about her... I wonder why Jill hasn't returned as an AT or something.

I mean, she's a Spirit in Ultimate, so I'm happy that Nintendo appears to have not forgotten her, but still.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Hey, this is really good! I can't speak for anyone else, but I can follow this pretty well! Now that I'm talking about her... I wonder why Jill hasn't returned as an AT or something.

I mean, she's a Spirit in Ultimate, so I'm happy that Nintendo appears to have not forgotten her, but still.
Thanks! I think I've got some good specials too

Side B: Drill Lunge
Jill dashes forwards with the drill spinning. A mini version of the gear meter appears above her and, when pressed at the right time, she can dash forwards again, going further and a little higher. Three gears as per usual.

Up B: Drill Propeller
The obvious choice here - Jill drills upwards with the propeller. However, she can only move straight upwards while drilling and stop to move left and right while very slowly falling.

Down B: Drill Pogo
Jill snaps the dozer's arms into a drill and bounces downwards without spinning it, allowing her to pogo off the ground or foes. Near identical visually to dair as to create crafty mindgames fitting for a preteen thief.

B: Drill Spin
This move pretty much functions like a rapid jab except it's a B move instead of A, however it has the unique trait of reflecting projectiles, letting you walk back and forth like Steve's rapid jab, and the trait that makes this a bit more special move than neutral: getting more powerful with every button tap.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Thanks! I think I've got some good specials too

Side B: Drill Lunge
Jill dashes forwards with the drill spinning. A mini version of the gear meter appears above her and, when pressed at the right time, she can dash forwards again, going further and a little higher. Three gears as per usual.

Up B: Drill Propeller
The obvious choice here - Jill drills upwards with the propeller. However, she can only move straight upwards while drilling and stop to move left and right while very slowly falling.

Down B: Drill Pogo
Jill snaps the dozer's arms into a drill and bounces downwards without spinning it, allowing her to pogo off the ground or foes. Near identical visually to dair as to create crafty mindgames fitting for a preteen thief.

B: Drill Spin
This move pretty much functions like a rapid jab except it's a B move instead of A, however it has the unique trait of reflecting projectiles, letting you walk back and forth like Steve's rapid jab, and the trait that makes this a bit more special move than neutral: getting more powerful with every button tap.
Not bad! May I ask what Jill's FS would be?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Welp, I feel Jill and her fellow forgotten Nintendo heroes don't have much of a shot for future Smash - maybe Pokémon Unite or another Pokémon game could bear some fruits for the Red Dozer clan? For now, well... hey, look on the bright side! DD usually gets top stop on "non-Pokémon Game Freak game" listicles!

Last edited:
Top Bottom