• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You can run off stage and insta grab ledges now

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Run off the stage and as soon as you run off, immediately press back towards the ledge.

Bam, you just instantly snapped to the ledge.

Works with every character in the demo at least. (Its a little slower with Villager though, Im assuming because fall speeds)

And before people think this is useless because of the ledge changes, try doing this, then instantly ledge drop with back or down and bairing your opponent offstage to edgeguard, its MUCH faster than any other turnaround method by far AND it allows you to drop down FAST while turning around.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I'm pretty sure this was in Brawl but I've watch streams all weekend and seen no one do it so if anything it's a good public notice

Good find/note

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Its not in Brawl, in Brawl characters with good air mobility (so like air acceleration) could do it just cuz they moved so fast, and also some could run off > fast fall > double jump back and insta snap, but never anything this prominent and simple. Pretty sure its intentional honestly.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Its not in Brawl, in Brawl characters with good air mobility (so like air acceleration) could do it just cuz they moved so fast, and also some could run off > fast fall > double jump back and insta snap, but never anything this prominent and simple. Pretty sure its intentional honestly.
Not sure if it was due to the floaty/slidey physics or not, but Tristan is right. No double jump was required; you could insta-grab the ledge via run off > fastfall > hold direction towards ledge > grab ledge.

Due to the fast fall, you had to rotate the control stick like this in Brawl (when running off the right side of the stage):
:GCR: :GCDR::GCD::GCDL::GCL:

If you don't have to fastfall due to less floaty/slidey physics in SSB4, then that would be an interesting change. And of course, as you mentioned the new ledge game also completely changes the application of run off > auto-grab ledge and it's variations from prev. smash games.

Last edited:

Deep2

Smash Apprentice
And before people think this is useless because of the ledge changes, try doing this, then instantly ledge drop with back or down and bairing your opponent offstage to edgeguard, its MUCH faster than any other turnaround method by far AND it allows you to drop down FAST while turning around.

Enjoy.
Shorthop RAR BAir is quicker and more effective than ledgedrop by far.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Shorthop RAR BAir is quicker and more effective than ledgedrop by far.
Depends on the char - if they're out ranged, the invincibility could mean a world of a difference.

EDIT: (-_(\ I was literally just talking about how the edge game is completely diff in my last post but still managed to forget. GGs...plus I've heard some chars can't let go of the edge immediately (some are stuck and have to wait longer than others before letting go or using a get-up-from-ledge option), so even if they do get some, it wouldn't be applicable to the full roster.

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Every character in Brawl could instantly snap to the ledge. It's a little bit tougher in this game though that may be because of the circle pad. The standard control input is a half circle forward->down->back.

Gaggy Rogers

Smash Rookie
This technique is particularly useful because you can use it to lose ledge invincibility when chasing people off-stage, so that you can vex them quicker if you manage to get them on the ledge and trump 'em. Since you don't have i-frames on regrab, you're able to act instantly out of trump. I've found it to be tremendously helpful as Pikachu, who also seems to be the quickest one to do it in the demo.

Did this technique have a name in Brawl? I feel like we'll be seeing a lot of it.

Goesasu

Smash Journeyman
In brawl almost any character could do this by falling and taping the otherside fast enough.

Sonic, for some reason, needed to press down then left/right after falling from the edge.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
This was a brawl mechanic that stayed. While it was useful for edge hogging (Sonic the Edgehog) it may be used to push your opponent of the edge to trump them. Maybe even allow punishments.

Top Bottom