• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You can choose one game franchise to get a platform fighter series, which would it be?

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
To me, I'd have to say Pokémon. I'd be able to play as Garchomp, Sceptile would be added, we'd see more fighters that aren't added to advertise, like Deoxys, Raichu, Darkrai, Absol, Rotom, etc..

Legend of Zelda would be great, but I think the roster would be a bit more varied in Pokémon, and it'd definitely do better.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Legend of Zelda

Lots of Pokémon can fly, and some only make sense in water.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Final Fantasy. Just look at how good Dissidia NT is, but put in a semi-competitive 1v1 free flowing environment.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I'd go with Sonic but only if Sega used their extended cast beyond just the modern and the well known classic characters. I want Fang, Bark, Bean, Mighty, and Ray to mingle with the modern characters. That'd probably give Izuka an aneurysm. Of course the impossible dream would be a cross continuity of the franchise as a whole where characters from every iteration of Sonic could show up. Cartoons, comics, and anime both old and new... Technically not out of the realm of possibility if they avoid using characters that originated in Archie or the OVA. I believe Sega owns the characters that originated in the cartoons, X, Boom, and the rebooted archie and IDW comics. But it's a pipe dream now that Sega's so strict with which characters can appear where these days.

In any case, I think it'd be fun if they tried to incorporate the pinball physics into this somehow, though that might make it a little for players to be send flying.

EDIT: Not technically a Game Franchise... well sort of is... I want Jump Superstars to come back. There's been a lot of shonen jump crossover fighting games but the original JSS reminded me of Smash the most and I don't really care for the other games.

Last edited:

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Legend of Zelda

Lots of Pokémon can fly, and some only make sense in water.
Yeah, Zelda's cast would be awesome, I'd love to play as Midna, Groose and Sidon. There are lots more Pokémon that can't fly, though, and even the ones that can could work. Look at Charizard. You could still have playable water Pokémon like Magikarp and Mudkip. Not every Pokémon would be in the roster, of course. Also, forgot to mention Weavile in my opening post. Weavile would be so fun.

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
ooof toughie...just one? :sadeyes:

hrm... gonna have to go with ... nope no. I can't pick, not just one, no way no how.
I'd have to make a new ip just so I don't feel at odds.

y'know what, I'll skip the lame conflicted feelings and choose Medabots.

medarot 2.png
They're still relevant in japan for the most part even though Natsume hasn't been kind to us here in the states and have already actually made a platform fighter for the series before with AX for the GBA, but I think giving it another go would be neat to see.

The customizable options available and the direct support aspects that can be added with parts to make 2v2 battles interesting and dynamic with strategy involved would also be nice. Anyone being viable based on equipment that is also balanced by the parts weight and energy consumption decided by the medal represented by the "character"makes for more thought provoking gameplay.

Swapping parts on the fly is also on the table but that gimmick wasn't "really" shown too much in games (idk about newer ones but old ones limited you to the start screen). Parts changing shouldn't be that free honestly and should be only available during character picking (maybe it could be a game mode or something to have as an option?).

Seeing what your friends could pick for parts does come into play, but couch play and online play are different animals entirely. Couch play is fine for that odd open freedom and cheap counter picking lameness a friend might do, but online should be entirely blind and players getting to face off without prior knowledge of their opponents kit will be interesting to see what is the most effective parts layout as a whole for the meta game.

Since there is counter play to every part in the game, except sword parts because range is a factor in the game and anyone who needs to get in close is already at a disadvantage in a stamina focused battle and armor on sword arm parts are notoriously lower than armor on any other part but the damage out put is just below lasers (which are capped at the highest potential damage for offensive equipment).

So maybe shield breaking hammer arm equipment would be a staple left arm choice despite left arm options being weaker than right arm equipment traditionally, so a more supportive type of utility equipment is usually better suited for that... Honestly the gameplay would be too campy to be entertaining to watch and way too defensive. High attacks that aim for the head would result in matches ending sooner because of those mechanics that define medabots. Would I change it so that head shots don't eventually end the match prematurely? Probably for the best honestly making the damage equate to a critical hit may be worth the time though...

Honestly the ringout mechanic works fine with a health bars at the top and parts armor meters and the medaforce charge meter for super down below. Having to also account for the terrain hasn't really been in a medabot game other than the one for the gamecube, their platform fighter Medabots AX on the gba and the lesser known Medarot Navi Tactical medabot game for the gameboy advanced (japan only got that game but thank god for emulators). So that will be an interesting dynamic depending on how creative or diverse terrain layouts could be. Obstacles for cover fire, using water to your advantage when present since only aquatic type medabots/legparts can swim. The factors that come into play in a match and the utility of parts in general as a whole could make for an interesting game to be sure. Should stages have at least two elements at play to make sure it can cater to certain parts without seeming biased? Water is big since most bots instantly lose the second they fall into water without the proper parts to move. Getting rid of water as a factor entirely removes the possibility of different combat scenarios. Underwater combat and the diversity of parts usage shouldn't be stifled just to make things "easier" to develop. Flying and hovering parts exist as well, essentially removing the ringout feature for the game as a platform fighter but I actually like that idea since those parts (the legs) are the most essential parts besides the head. Without them you can barely move and would essentially instantly lose if you lost your flying/floating leg parts while offstage.

I'd make blocking a thing, rather than shields. Taking less damage and knockback from attacks is neat. Since it's stamina based combat I'd welcome aerial blocking. Some parts can create barriers and shields so they'd be crucial in a kit but they're heavy parts that will slow down your bots movement speed no matter how fast you may make them. Every part has its own parameters and help balance each other out. The only parts that I wouldn't put into the game would be the ones that cast death curse and make parts instantly break. When a part is gone it's gone. You essentially have 4 health bars to worry about. Your head (main health), Left arm, right arm and legs. Couple that with the super bar (meda force bar) and you have five meters to always account for and manage.

Items may actually be necessary for the gameplay to be made more offensive since they'll only spawn in the center of any given stage via crate. Repair maintenance for damaged parts, upgrades to offensive parts (power ups), Energy packs for your charge to get more meter into super since it should be slow to manually charge it but the meter builds only when your attacks make contact with the enemy. Though being hit gives you more charge sooner than if you're attacking (backwards concept but if you get caught in a combo, utilizing energy from the charge gauge can be used to relieve pressure with a gtfo energy pulse that gives you room to breathe and get space or mount an offensive counter attack of your own. It's a stamina based battle like traditional fighters so you can be sure that I'd allow for it to be used defensively. The supers depend on the medal type (character) rather than parts so you can bolster a supportive bot with offensive parts and maybe even parts that boost their charge for super so they always have a super to fall back on and heal/support/boost themselves or a teammate.

There are probably too many factors to take into account to make this a genuine platform fighter, but as a medabot game I feel like it's a bit too ambitious.
Most of this is why it's always been an rpg and only strayed away from that twice with AX and The Gamecube game. (that I know of, Thanks for being scared of losing money Natsume)

fun times.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Fire Emblem. Its cast is extremely varied but most of Smash's FE characters are pure sword fighters. While we have a manakete analogue with Corrin and a mage with Robin, we don't have any mounted units (horseback, pegasus / wyvern riders), spear users, axe users, armored units, stave users, hell we don't have a single playable villain unless you kinda stretch for one of the Awakening trio. Not only that but no one from the Gaiden, Jugdral saga, or Sacred Stones have any playable characters, Jugdral being extra confusing since FE4 is arguably the beginning of modern Fire Emblem as we know it, introducing tons of series staples like the weapon triangle.

All this because Sakurai decided that Fire Emblem newcomers should just be based on the latest main series game, with only Chrom breaking the pattern (possibly because Corrin is already in and they're technically still from the latest game that isn't a remake nor a fanservice gacha game with minimal story importance). As a result, the Jugdral games and Fire Emblem 7, where Lyn debuted, both of which are very important for different reasons, don't have any playable characters--because Roy and Ike were newer, respectively.

A proper crossover platform fighter featuring only FE characters would resolve these problems...theoretically. FE Warriors has 3 Akaneia characters, 6 Awakening characters, and a whopping 9 Fates characters. However, Intelligent Systems seems to have seen the disappointment that barely anyone else besides those 18 joined, so maybe they'll know better for next time.

Last edited:

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Final Fantasy. Just look at how good Dissidia NT is, but put in a semi-competitive 1v1 free flowing environment.
Soooooooo............. the PSP Dissidia games then?

I'd go with Sonic but only if Sega used their extended cast beyond just the modern and the well known classic characters. I want Fang, Bark, Bean, Mighty, and Ray to mingle with the modern characters. That'd probably give Izuka an aneurysm. Of course the impossible dream would be a cross continuity of the franchise as a whole where characters from every iteration of Sonic could show up. Cartoons, comics, and anime both old and new... Technically not out of the realm of possibility if they avoid using characters that originated in Archie or the OVA. I believe Sega owns the characters that originated in the cartoons, X, Boom, and the rebooted archie and IDW comics. But it's a pipe dream now that Sega's so strict with which characters can appear where these days.

In any case, I think it'd be fun if they tried to incorporate the pinball physics into this somehow, though that might make it a little for players to be send flying.
& that's Sonic Battle on GBA (minus the extended cast part)

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Kirby. The Dream Friends function was a genius idea, and they can bring in even more characters that didn't make it and new characters as they're introduced to games.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Pokemon definitely has the most potential: it gets at least 1 newcomer per Smash title, yet that's only scraping at the surface of possible fighters. I know it getting special treatment in Smash isn't to everyone's liking, but the fact it keeps on getting original movesets just shows its massive potential.

However, if forced to choose just one, I'd probably have to go with Zelda. Not just because it's my favourite series, but because I think it has a load of potential too: the number of clones it has in Smash really doesn't do the series justice. Plus while Pokemon will keep on getting newcomers, a Zelda platform fighter is increasingly seeming like one of the only ways we'll get new Zelda characters in a Smash-like game...

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
No question. Mega Man.

So many Robot Masters with movesets perfect for 2D platform fighting.

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
No question. Mega Man.

Would you prefer classic megaman or megaman battle network?
I'm assuming Megaman X wasn't on the table because you mentioned the robot masters. Mavericks are essentially the same thing but i dunno.
I guess that also meant battle network also wasn't on the table since they aren't robots and are navi's too '3'

Classic has plenty going for it to work from so it'd be fine. Items is something more akin to smash so it doesn't have to go far (unless you go the battle network route and make battle chips part of the core gameplay). How megaman would work would be interesting to see. I think of the power fighters games with platforms and ringouts {3 having some stages with walls would be cool since allot of the cast can do animal and ninja wall clings and jumps off of them....

Shadowman being playable awakens the super dork in me.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Would you prefer classic megaman or megaman battle network?
I'm assuming Megaman X wasn't on the table because you mentioned the robot masters. Mavericks are essentially the same thing but i dunno.
I definitely meant Classic, though I wouldn' be against an X.

Though there's a lot more weirdly sized Mavericks that won't work as well.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Dragon Age.

All of the companion characters as playable fighters, plus Arishok, Tallis, Bianca and Harding, then Warden/Hawke/Inquisitor as Mii-style customizable characters, and Meredith, Corypheus and a ****ing Archdemon as boss battles.

The story mode plays out like a Project X Zone style visual-novel-leads-to-fight so that we get to see the characters interact, because that's the whole reason we like these characters in the first place.

Stages include, but are not limited to, Ostagar, Denerim, Redcliffe Castle, Orzammar, Hightown, Sundermount, The Bone Pit, The Lost Thaig, Adamant, Haven, Val Royeux, Skyhold annnnnnnd Minrathous.

I'd buy the **** out of that.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I naturally lean towards fire emblem although i do wonder how other more traditional fighting games would feel with their whole cast fighting in this different style, perhaps even more so for 3d fighters.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Soooooooo............. the PSP Dissidia games then?

& that's Sonic Battle on GBA (minus the extended cast part)
I think you missed the part where OP specified "platform fighter", as in, hybrid between fighter and platformer the same way Smash Bros is, which neither of those games are.

I'm personally not a huge fan of traditional fighting games, but I love the more simplified but still pretty technical style of Smash Bros, so I'd love to see more clones of it, especially ones that use characters I recognize, and use it as a vessel to have as many characters as possible.

Kinda like what TMNT smash-up promised to be but ulitmately failed when all they did was use characters from the TV series at the time and the most current movie, plus Rabbids.

D

Deleted member

I would give it to Castlevania to be honest. Simon vs Alucard vs Soma vs Johnathan would be dope.

Khao

Smash Lord
No question. Mega Man.

This.

Yes.

It could even have a similar gameplay to its home series. Like, have it's combat be mostly projectile-based (but not necessarily exclusively) with a lot of movement abilities to allow for navigation and dodging. Would be ridiculously cool if it also had character from all sub-series, with characters pulling mechanics from each of their respective series.

Also, I'm a huge Zelda fan, but to be honest, I think a Zelda fighter would be a better fit for a Soul-Calibur-style game than anything else. The 3D combat with slow, methodical movement and more "grounded" battles is actually pretty similar to the combat within the actual 3D Zelda games. It just makes more sense to me. If we ever got a Zelda fighting game, I'd sure hope it'd feel like Zelda, and I don't think that feel would be captured by a platform fighter.

Last edited:

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman
Instead of a single series, I think it would be cool to have a game with characters from multiple RPG series. There's many series to pull from like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Fire Emblem, Tales, etc. It would be even cooler if we could play not only as human characters, but also other creatures such as monsters and summons.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Marioverse without a doubt.

Rosters would be like:

First game

Mario Smash Bros 64.png

Includes the Big 8 Mario crew members(Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Yoshi, Wario, DK and Bowser) as the starting roster.
Secret characters are Smash style and a little more surprising than what you'd expect with Jr being the only kind of obvious. Kamek, Wart and Fawful all get in as additional villains representing more Yoshi-verse, an obscure forgotten villain and a RPG villain.

Second game

Mario Smash Bros Melee.png

Adds in some vital missing characters; Toadette, Daisy, Waluigi, Rosalina and Diddy Kong.
More additional surprises with two SMRPG partners in Mallow and Geno, two Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door partners in Goombella and Vivian, some additional Wario-verse characters with Captain Syrup and Tatanga returning, Nabbit of the New Super Mario Bros. Wii U fame and King Bob-Omb as a surprise character added as he's the first major boss in Super Mario 64.

Third game

Mario Smash Bros Brawl.png

Doing the Double Dash thing and partnering the characters up. Yoshi obtains Birdo as a partner(as is tradition), King Boo and Petey team up(as they did in MK:Double Dash), Dixie partners up with Funky, Cranky(the original DK) partners up with Pauline, Toadsworth and Prof. E Gadd team up as a pair of cool helpful grandpas and finally Ludwig and Topper as the two eldest of their respective villain troupes get paired too.

Fourth game

Mario Smash Bros For.png

Throw in the rest of the Koopalings so Ludwig isn't all alone, gave Topper Hariet to hang with too. Three new Warioware characters are added in Ashley(who is ridiculously popular), Mona(also very popular), 9-Volt(retro game theme moveset). K. Rool and Lanky join the Kong universe. Peach gets two new flavours in Peachette and Rabbid Peach, Captain Toad makes the roster, Paper Mario gets General Guy, Mimi and Dimentio, Luigi's Mansion gets Polterpup and Yoshi gets to hang with fellow dinos Plessie and his rival Boshi(hope it makes Zinith Zinith pleased). Il Piantissimo is a lethal joke character.

Kinda sad I couldn't find even fan 3D renders for the Warioware cast but ah well.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Fire Emblem has lots of mounted or flying units. I think a traditional fighter is better able to accommodate these abilities.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
Castlevania. With all of the Belmonts, Sypha, Alucard, Grant, Dracula, Maria, and anyone else in the games really you could have a lot of variety. That and I just love the lore, okay?

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
???? Dissidia was very much a 3D platform fighter. Or do you think that this looks like a flat stage?
I didn't play much dissidia so I was just making assumptions but it's still not the same kind of game as Smash. And Sonic Battle for damn sure isn't either. For one thing it being 3D and not having your opponent on screen at all times. So neither of those games being extant really eliminates the need for a much more refined 2D platform fighter game.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
For me it's obviously Metroid. Here would be the characters.

1. Samus (armored)
  2. Samus (unarmored)
  3. Chozo Warrior
  4. Space Pirate
  5. Ridley
  6. Dark Samus
  7. Noxus
  8. Spire
  9. Kanden
  10. Sylux
  11. Trace
  12. Weavel
  13. U-Mos
  14. Emperor Ing
  15. Rundas
  16. Ghor
  17. Gandrayda
  18. Arachnus
  19. Omega Metroid
  20. Kihunter
  21. Anthony Higgs
  22. MB
  23. SA-X

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Marioverse without a doubt.

Rosters would be like:

First game

View attachment 179045
Includes the Big 8 Mario crew members(Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Yoshi, Wario, DK and Bowser) as the starting roster.
Secret characters are Smash style and a little more surprising than what you'd expect with Jr being the only kind of obvious. Kamek, Wart and Fawful all get in as additional villains representing more Yoshi-verse, an obscure forgotten villain and a RPG villain.

Second game

View attachment 179047

Adds in some vital missing characters; Toadette, Daisy, Waluigi, Rosalina and Diddy Kong.
More additional surprises with two SMRPG partners in Mallow and Geno, two Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door partners in Goombella and Vivian, some additional Wario-verse characters with Captain Syrup and Tatanga returning, Nabbit of the New Super Mario Bros. Wii U fame and King Bob-Omb as a surprise character added as he's the first major boss in Super Mario 64.

Third game

View attachment 179048

Doing the Double Dash thing and partnering the characters up. Yoshi obtains Birdo as a partner(as is tradition), King Boo and Petey team up(as they did in MK:Double Dash), Dixie partners up with Funky, Cranky(the original DK) partners up with Pauline, Toadsworth and Prof. E Gadd team up as a pair of cool helpful grandpas and finally Ludwig and Topper as the two eldest of their respective villain troupes get paired too.

Fourth game

View attachment 179051

Throw in the rest of the Koopalings so Ludwig isn't all alone, gave Topper Hariet to hang with too. Three new Warioware characters are added in Ashley(who is ridiculously popular), Mona(also very popular), 9-Volt(retro game theme moveset). K. Rool and Lanky join the Kong universe. Peach gets two new flavours in Peachette and Rabbid Peach, Captain Toad makes the roster, Paper Mario gets General Guy, Mimi and Dimentio, Luigi's Mansion gets Polterpup and Yoshi gets to hang with fellow dinos Plessie and his rival Boshi(hope it makes Zinith Zinith pleased). Il Piantissimo is a lethal joke character.

Kinda sad I couldn't find even fan 3D renders for the Warioware cast but ah well.
Great post, but it still ends up being Smash Bros. with the Wario and Donkey Kong characters added. They all (once) shared a world, but Mario, Wario and Donkey Kong are all the leads of their own series now. I think replacing Wario and Donkey Kong characters would be smart, although keeping in Wario and Donkey or Cranky would make sense.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Bomberman. He's had enough rivals over the years to have a good cast of characters, and having most of the combat be bomb-based would be a great twist on the genre.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Even I can't stretch things so much to say the Yoshi series...

So I'm gonna say the Mario series... :yoshi:
You can stretch Yoshi a bit. Yoshi, P2 Red Yoshi, Yarn Yoshi, Crafted Yoshi, Kamek, Shy Guy, different types of Shy Guys, Baby Mario, possibly Baby Luigi, Baby Bowser, etc.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Great post, but it still ends up being Smash Bros. with the Wario and Donkey Kong characters added. They all (once) shared a world, but Mario, Wario and Donkey Kong are all the leads of their own series now. I think replacing Wario and Donkey Kong characters would be smart, although keeping in Wario and Donkey or Cranky would make sense.
Hmmm...what about characters like Diddy though? He appears in a lot of Mario sports/party spinoffs, and that's where the line gets blurry for me. Even Dixie has appeared in three Mario sports titles now blurring that line a little more. I don't think the Warioware crew have at all so I could alter those guys happily enough.

Last edited:

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm...what about characters like Diddy though? He appears in a lot of Mario sports/party spinoffs, and that's where the line gets blurry for me. Even Dixie has appeared in three Mario sports titles now blurring that line a little more. I don't think the Warioware crew have at all so I could alter those guys happily enough.
I think mainstays in the Mario spin-offs could stay, meaning Diddy could be in, but no Link/Inkling/Isabelle/Dixie.

Ice-N-Space

Smash Apprentice
Freedomplanet with its characters like Lilac, Carol, Milla, Neera and others would make great fighters!

Top Bottom