• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You are Sakurai in 1999, what becomes your roster input for 64 and later installments?

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Decided to re-do this.

64:

:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultmarth:

Melee:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultpit:(:ultzelda:/:ultsheik:):ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultgnw:
Clones: :ultpichu::ultfalco::ultroy::ultyounglink:*Black Shadow, Ninten

Brawl:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultpit:(:ultzelda:/:ultsheik:):ultfalco::ultganondorf:Black Shadow:ulttoonlink:*:ultgnw::ultmetaknight:Isaac:ultlittlemac::ultwario::ultsnake::ultike::ultpokemontrainer::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar: :ultlucario::ultrob::ultwolf:

*=Toon Link is named "Young Link" in this version of Brawl. He's essentially just Young Link but with a new design, just like all the other Zelda characters got new designs.

Wii U/3DS:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultpit::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultfalco::ultganondorf:Black Shadow:ulttoonlink::ultgnw::ultmetaknight:Isaac:ultlittlemac::ultwario::ultike::ultcharizard::ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar: :ultlucario::ultrob::ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina::ultkrool::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit::ultpacman::ultrobin::ultlucina::ultshulk::ultduckhunt::ultbowserjr::ultalph:Karate Joe, Dixie Kong :ultmiifighters:(One Mii)
DLC: :ultmewtwo::ultlucas::ultroy: :ultryu::ultcloud:Elma:ultbayonetta:

Ultimate:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultpit::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo: :ultpichu::ultfalco::ultroy::ulttoonlink:Black Shadow, Ninten :ultgnw::ultmetaknight:Isaac:ultlittlemac::ultwario::ultsnake::ultike::ultpokemontrainer::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar: :ultlucario::ultrob::ultwolf: :ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina::ultkrool::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultduckhunt::ultbowserjr:Karate Joe, Dixie Kong:ultryu::ultcloud:Elma:ultbayonetta::ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon:Geno:ultisabelle:Decidueye:ultmiifighters:
Echoes: :ultdarksamus::ultdaisy::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultdarkpit::ultalph::ultken::ultrichter:
DLC: Tingle:ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbyleth::ultminmin:ultsteve::ultsephiroth:(:ultpyra:/:ultmythra:):ultkazuya:Phoenix Wright

Cuts: :ultjigglypuff::ulticeclimbers::ultdoc::ultyounglink::ultzss::ultbrawler::ultswordfighter::ultgunner::ultcorrin::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:
Aight, now that Ultimate is officially over, I'd like to revise my alternate Ultimate roster.

:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultpit::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo: :ultpichu::ultfalco::ultroy::ulttoonlink:Black Shadow, Ninten :ultgnw::ultmetaknight:Isaac:ultlittlemac::ultwario::ultsnake::ultike::ultpokemontrainer::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar: :ultlucario::ultrob::ultwolf: :ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina::ultkrool::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultduckhunt::ultbowserjr:Karate Joe, Dixie Kong:ultryu::ultcloud:Elma:ultbayonetta::ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon:Geno:ultisabelle:Decidueye:ultmiifighters:
Echoes: :ultdarksamus::ultdaisy::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultdarkpit::ultalph::ultken::ultrichter:
DLC: Tingle:ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbyleth:Phoenix:ultsteve::ultsephiroth:(:ultpyra:/:ultmythra:):ultkazuya::ultsora:

Cuts: :ultjigglypuff::ulticeclimbers::ultdoc::ultyounglink::ultzss::ultbrawler::ultswordfighter::ultgunner::ultcorrin::ultincineroar::ultpiranha::ultminmin

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
SSB64: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultganondorf::133:
Each of the A-listers getting two characters, each of the B-listers getting one. pErFeCtLy BaLaNcEd. Welp, so much for that plan.
SSBM: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultganondorf::133: ~ :ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultzelda::ultmewtwo::ultgnw:[Adeline & Ribbon Tagteam (Kirby 64)]
BY FIRE, BE PURGED!
SSBB: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink:[:ultsamus:/:ultzss:]:ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultness::ultluigi::ultganondorf::133::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultzelda::ultmewtwo::ultgnw:[Adeline & Ribbon] ~ :ultfalcon::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultwario::ultsnake::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultlucario::ultrob::ultwolf:, Gardevoir, Rundas (Metroid Prime 3)
ice pun
SSB4: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultganondorf::133::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultzelda::ultmewtwo::ultgnw:[Adeline & Ribbon]:ultfalcon::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultzss::ultwario::ultsnake::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultlucario::ultrob::ultwolf:[Gardevoir][Rundas] ~ :ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina::ultlittlemac::ultmiifighters::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultdarkpit::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultinkling:, Marx, Impa, Elma, Chell (Portal)
#****Konami
SSBU: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink:[:ultsamus::ultdarksamus:]:ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultganondorf::133::ultjigglypuff:[:ultpeach:/:ultdaisy:]:ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultzelda::ultmewtwo::ultgnw:[Adeline & Ribbon]:ultfalcon::ultmetaknight:[:ultpit:/:ultdarkpit:]:ultzss::ultwario::ultsnake::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar::ultlucario::ultrob::ultwolf::ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina::ultlittlemac::ultmiifighters::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt:[:ultryu:/:ultken:]:ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultinkling:[Marx][Impa][Elma][Chell] ~ :ultridley:[:ultsimon:/:ultrichter:]:ultkrool::ultisabelle:, [Lana/Cia] (Hyrule Warriors), [Kat/Raven] (Gravity Rush), Doki Doki Literature Club*, YoRHa Unit 2 Type B (Nier: Automata), Shadow the Hedgehog
DLC- :ultpiranha:{:ultjoker:,:ultbanjokazooie:,[:ultpyra:/:ultmythra:],:ult_terry:,:ultsephiroth:} {Twintelle,:ultsteve:,:ulthero:, Aloy (Horizon: Zero Dawn),:ultkazuya:,:ultsora:}
*= For the Doki Doki Literature Club, all four members are alternate costumes of eachother akin to the Koopalings

Last edited:

The Smash Nerd II.0.

Smash Journeyman
64: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultmarth:

Melee: All of 64 + :ultpeach::ultbowser::ultkingdedede::ultganondorf::ultzelda: :ultwario::ultcharizard::ultwolf: Black Shadow:ultmewtwo::ultroy::ultpit::ultgnw:
Brawl: All of Melee (-Black Shadow and :ultroy:) + :ultmetaknight::ultdarksamus::ultsnake::ultike::ultdiddy:Isaac(Golden Sun) :ultsonic::ultolimar: :ultlucario::ulttoonlink: Krystal, Geno
Smash 4: All of Brawl (-Krystal and :ultsnake:) (+ Black Shadow) + :ultvillager::ultmegaman: Takamaru:ultrosalina:Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee:ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit:(Echo of :ultpit:):ultpacman::ultrobin::ultchrom:(Echo of:ultike:):ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt:DLC: :ultinkling:Isaac(Golden Sun):ultroy::ultryu::ultbayonetta: Rayman,:ultcloud:
Ultmate: EVERY ONE IS HERE + Octoling :ultdaisy: (Echo of :ultpeach:) :4link: (Echo of :ultlink:) :ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter: (Echo of :ultsimon:) Bomberman:ultkrool::ultisabelle: :ultken: (Echo of :ultryu:) Decidueye DLC: FP1: Sandbag :ultjoker::ultbyleth::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry: Dante FP2: :ultpyra:/:ultmythra: Mipha, Phoenix Wright :ultsephiroth::ultkazuya::ultsora:

Last edited:

The Smash Nerd II.0.

Smash Journeyman
As Pupp135 Pupp135 and Butters Stotch Butters Stotch did stages, might as well take a jab at what stages might be in my versions of the Smash games.
Bold denotes unlockable stages.
Smash 64:
  • Peach's Castle
  • Kongo Jungle
  • Hyrule Castle
  • Planet Zebes
  • Mushroom Kingdom
  • Super Happy Tree
  • Dream Land
  • Sector Z
  • Saffron City
  • Metal Cavern
Melee:
  • Princess Peach's Castle
  • Rainbow Cruise
  • Bowser's Castle
  • Mushroom Kingdom II
  • Dinosaur Land (Now a Mario Stage)
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Wario's Castle
  • Kongo Falls
  • Jungle Japes
  • Temple
  • Brinstar
  • Brinstar Depths
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Green Greens
  • Corneria
  • Venom
  • Pokémon Stadium
  • Poké Floats
  • Mute City
  • Big Blue
  • Onett
  • Fourside
  • Archanea
  • Flat Zone
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
Past Stages (all unlockable):
  • Peach's Castle
  • Kongo Jungle
  • Hyrule Castle
  • Super Happy Tree
  • Dream Land
  • Saffron City
  • Metal Cavern

Brawl:
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Mushroomy Kingdom
  • Figure-8 Circuit
  • Mario Bros
  • Forest Maze
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Rumble Falls
  • 100m
  • Bridge of Eldin
  • Pirate Ship
  • Norfair
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Halberd
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Krazoa Palace
  • Pokémon Stadium 2
  • Spear Pillar
  • Port Town Aero Dive
  • Venus Lighthouse
  • Castle Siege
  • Flat Zone 2
  • Skyworld
  • WarioWare, Inc
  • Distant Planet
  • Smashville
  • Shadow Moses Island
  • Green Hill Zone
Melee stages:
  • Rainbow Cruise
  • Bowser's Castle
  • Dinosaur Land (Now a Mario Stage)
  • Yoshi's Story
  • Wario's Castle
  • Jungle Japes
  • Temple
  • Brinstar
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Green Greens
  • Corneria
  • Pokémon Stadium
  • Big Blue
  • Onett

Smash 4:
Both:
  • Arena Ferox
  • Boxing Ring
  • Gaur Plain
  • Murasame Castle
  • Duck Hunt
  • Wily Castle (MM2)
  • Pac-Maze
3DS Only:
  • 3D Land
  • Golden Plains
  • Rainbow Road
  • Mushroomy Kingdom (Past Stage)
  • Yoshi's Island (Past Stage)
  • Jungle Japes (Past Stage)
  • Gerudo Valley
  • Spirit Train
  • Brinstar (Past Stage)
  • Dream Land GB
  • Corneria (Past Stage)
  • Unova Pokémon League
  • Prism Tower
  • Mute City SNES
  • Magicant
  • Flat Zone 2 (Past Stage)
  • Reset Bomb Forest
  • Wario's Castle (Past Stage)
  • WarioWare, Inc (Past Stage)
  • Distant Planet (Past Stage)
  • Tortimer Island
  • Living Room (Nintendogs)
  • Find Mii
  • Tomodachi Life
  • Green Hill Zone (Past Stage)
Wii U Only:
  • Big Battlefield
  • Mushroom Kingdom U
  • Mario Galaxy
  • Delfino Plaza (Past Stage)
  • Mario Circuit
  • Figure-8 Circuit (Past Stage)
  • Luigi's Mansion (Past Stage)
  • Dinosaur Land (Now a Mario Stage) (Past Stage)
  • Rogueport Tour (Reworked Paper Mario being based more on PM: The Thousand-Year Door then PM: Sticker Star)
  • Jungle Hijinxs
  • Kongo Jungle (Past Stage)
  • Skyloft
  • Bridge of Eldin (Past Stage)
  • Temple (Past Stage)
  • Pyrosphere
  • Norfair (Past Stage)
  • Port Town Aero Dive (Past Stage)
  • Woolly World
  • Cookie Country
  • Halberd (Past Stage)
  • Lylat Cruise (Past Stage)
  • Kalos Pokémon League
  • Pokémon Stadium 2 (Past Stage)
  • Onett (Past Stage)
  • Castle Siege (Past Stage)
  • Flat Zone X
  • Palutena's Temple
  • Skyworld (Past Stage)
  • Gamer
  • Garden of Hope
  • Smashville (Past Stage)
  • 25m (Past Stage)
  • Wrecking Crew
  • Pilotwings (Edited to just loop the SNES part of the stage)
  • Wuhu Island
  • City Escape
DLC Stages:

• Moray Towers
  • Suzaku Castle
  • Peach's Castle (Past Stage)
  • Hyrule Castle (Past Stage)
  • Super Mario Maker
  • Pirate Ship (Past Stage) (Wii U Only)
  • Umbra Clock Tower
  • Fairy Glade
  • Midgar

Ultimate:
  • New Donk City Hall
  • Great Plateau Tower
  • Shifty Station
  • Dracula's Castle
  • Mementos (DLC)
  • Garreg Mach Monastery (DLC)
  • Spiral Mountain (DLC)
  • King of Fighters Stadium (DLC)
  • Cloud Sea of Alrest (DLC)
  • Zora's Domain (DLC)
  • District Court (DLC)
  • Northern Cave (DLC)
  • Mishima Dojo (DLC)
  • Hollow Bastion/Radiant Garden (DLC)

Last edited:

TheLastMaverickHunter

Smash Journeyman
Gonna redo this, with inspiration from KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 's take on a redone Brawl.

Characters in green remain with little to no changes.
Characters in yellow receive slight to significant changes.
Characters in red are removed, but could still serve as Assists, Trophies, etc.
Characters in purple are new characters that haven't appeared in a Smash game.

j.png

#01: Mario
#02: Donkey Kong
#03: Link (Bow is his Neutral Special from the start; has his Skyward Sword design in Smash 4)
#04: Samus
#05: Yoshi
#06: Kirby (Up Special is Hi-Jump and Final Smash post-Brawl is Hypernova)
#07: Fox
#08: Pikachu
#09: Luigi
#10: Ness
#11: Captain Falcon
#XX: Jigglypuff
#12: Marth (introduced early as a Link semi-clone, but retooled over time to play like his current self)

Melee (will finish this and the rest eventually)
#13: Peach (in Brawl, the Parasol and Toad Counter are replaced by Perry and Toadsworth respectively)
#14: Bowser
#15: Ice Climbers
#XX: Sheik
#16: Zelda (is a solo fighter from the start and has a different Down Special; has the ALBW design in Smash 4)
#XX: Dr. Mario (added to Smash 4 as a costume)
#17: Daisy
#18: Pichu
#19: Falco
#20: Diddy Kong (or King Dedede if the Rare buyout somehow poses a threat)
#21: Young Link (wields the Mirror Shield and Razor Sword; Final Smash is Fierce Diety)
#22: Ganondorf (has a unique moveset that makes use of his sword and magic; keeps his Twilight Princess design in Ultimate)
#23: Black Shadow
#24: Mewtwo
#25: Roy
#26: Mr. Game & Watch

Brawl
#27: Meta Knight
#28: Pit
#XX: Zero Suit Samus
#29: Dark Samus (like Ganondorf, has a completely distinct moveset)
#30: Wario (moveset is based on Wario Land)
#31: Snake
#32: Ike
#XX: Squirtle
#33: Isaac (Golden Sun was in a good place at the time, with a new game on the horizon and high critic scores)
#XX:
Ivysaur
#34: Tetra (gives the Toon games a unique character, instead of another Link)
#35: Charizard (solo Zard with Red cheering on in the background)
#36: Lucas (Kumatora appears for his Side and Down Specials)
#37: Sonic (all of this)
#38: King Dedede
#39: Olimar
#40: Lucario
#41: R.O.B.
#XX: Toon Link (see #35)
#42: Dixie Kong
#43: Wolf

#44: Villager
#45: Mega Man (modelled after his MM8 appearance and has much more personality in his animations)
#46: Wii Fit Trainer
#47: Rosalina / Toad / Waluigi / Paper Mario (obligatory Mario character)
#48: Little Mac (aerials aren't trash)
#49: Greninja
#50: Palutena
#XX: Dark Pit
#50ɛ: Medusa
#51-53: Mii Fighters
#54: Pac-Man
#XX: Lucina
#55: Robin / Chrom (rolled into one, Duck Hunt style)
#56: Shulk
#57: Bowser Jr.
#58: Duck Hunt
#59 Ryu
#60: Cloud
#XX: Corrin
#61: Skull Kid (promotion for Warriors and Majora's Mask 3D)
#62:
Bayonetta

Ultimate
#63: Inkling
#39ɛ: Alph
#64: Ridley
#65: Simon
#65ɛ: Richter
#27ɛ: Galacta Knight
#37ɛ: Shadow
#66: King K. Rool
#67: Isabelle
#59ɛ: Ken
#68: Sceptile
#69: Tingle

Last edited:

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
For the time being, I'll only do Smash 64 and Melee, since I think they are the most fun to speculate about.
At this point, we are all well-acquainted with the Perfect-Attendance Crew. For the most part, it's a rather balance overview of what Nintendo had to offer through up until 1999. However, there are three spots in particular that I find contentious:
:yoshimelee: really feels more like a third Mario character than coming from his own series. This is a shame, considering that Bowser and even Peach are definitely more relevant than Yoshi to begin with. So he gets the first boot.
:falconmelee: is a much more fitting choice, but one that feels off considering that, in his game series, he has nothing to do with fighting or stuff like that. So, as painfully as it sounds, I am removing him as well.
:jigglypuffmelee: was an odd choice for the second Pokémon representative. I get that it was added due to its similarities to Pikachu, but it doesn't change the fact that Puff is definitely a niche choice. It is going away too.

This leaves me with three choices. So this is my final roster for Super Smash Bros. 64:
Starters:
:mariomelee::dkmelee::linkmelee::samusmelee:
:kirbymelee::foxmelee::pikachumelee::ultbanjokazooie:
Perhaps controversially, but I am adding Banjo & Kazooie. At this point, they are more like Kirby and Pikachu than Solid Snake or Sonic. And who knows, maybe if they had been added during the development of Super Smash Bros., Rare and Nintendo might have had stronger relationships later on. From here on out, I am assuming that Rare would eventually become a subsidiary of Nintendo.
Unlockables:
:luigimelee::marthmelee::nessmelee::006:
Marth is added using some assets taken from Link, as in Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light, Marth wields both the Falchion and the Binding Shield. He would use a completely different set of special attacks, but I think he might fit the Jigglypuff semi-clone criteria.
Charizard was a tricky one to add. I wanted a Pokémon that could share a handful of animations with one of the starters, but none made sense because they would have been either too obscure (defeating the purpose why I chose to replace Jigglypuff to begin with) or too different from the eight starters. In the end, I settled with Charizard, sharing some moves with Donkey Kong.
-Dash attack
-Back aerial
-Down aerial
-Floor attack
Charizard only uses a few assets from DK's skeleton too (mainly DK's lower body and one of his arms as Charizard's neck? Not sure about that though). Overall, I think that Charizard is the perfect choice here, as it is definitely one of it not the most iconic Gen 1 Pokémon besides Pikachu.

So, when it comes to Melee, the first choice you have to make is to add either 1 newcomer or 6 clones. The choice here is pretty obvious to me: 6 clones are the way to go. I know, I know, it's all about quality over quantity, but I don't think that, at this point, foregoing 6 slots for 1 is worth it. I'd rather overwhelm the player with several new characters than give them only 8 newcomers but having each one feel unique and distinct. And it's not like clones are not fun to play as: Falco, Ganondorf, and Pichu in my opinion are just as fun or even more fun than their original counterpart.

Let's now review the newcomers for the original Melee and discuss if I find them worthy additions or not:
:peachmelee: is so cool, and with my star we're gonna rule! Jokes aside, Peach is of course staying. She is just too iconic to forego.
:bowsermelee: is another obvious pick. If I had one more slot available for Smash 64, then it would have definitely gone to Bowser.
:icsmelee: is a character I am really torn between. It is very nice that we have a character coming from an NES series and their gimmick is extremely cool (pun intended), but with only 8 slots I think my options are limited... However, I'd say we should keep them. And besides, we need some new universes in this sequel, right?
:sheikmelee: is a priority to me, even more so than Zelda. Sheik is easier to design a moveset around, so you get easy representation for a character, Princess Zelda, who otherwise you'd struggle to give a moveset to.
:zeldamelee: is removed. At this point, I'd rather have another unique character than Zelda and Sheik. It may be an unpopular decision, but that's one I am willing to make.
:drmario: is removed. There is another Mario character I'd like to add more than him, and having four Mario newcomers is just too much, even for a diehard Mario fan like me.
:pichumelee: is actually ingenious, so I am keeping it, self-damage included. Indeed, Pichu represents breeding, a mechanic introduced with Gen 2, so it is probably the best possible Pokémon representative for that generation. And besides, it is so fun to play as this tiny tiny TINY mouse Pokémon.
:falcomelee: stays in. At this point, I don't have nearly enough villains to justify Wolf over Falco and both Peppy and Slippy are just too different from Fox to be clones of him.
:marthmelee: is already a veteran, so that's a free slot. Wahoo!
:younglinkmelee: why not? I mean, in most iterations before Ocarina of Time, Young Link is arguably the default version of Link, so I find him to be just as deserving, if not more so, than Link. And we need more of these quirky and fun clones.
:ganondorfmelee: is removed. But don't worry, I have an idea for this fella...
:mewtwomelee: is another confirmed character. It was a very unique Pokémon to begin with and having it and Charizard fighting would be amazing! And besides, we have kept the trinity of villains: Bowser, Ganondorf, and Mewtwo.
:roymelee: is removed. Adding him before his canon appearance made more harm than good, in my opinion, adding personality to a character that was supposed to be boring to begin with. And I mean it in a good way.
:gawmelee: ... I'd remove him. It's not that I don't like G&W, quite the contrary in fact, but I think there are better representatives we should add before.

So currently we need to replace 6 fighters, among which there are 3 unique characters and 3 clones (one of them is de-cloned Ganondorf). Let's begin with the unique characters first:
  • :yoshimelee: is finally added! He comes as a Mario fighter, and he is the reason why I didn't want to add Dr. Mario in the first place.
  • We need a second Rare character here, in order to justify the strengthened relationships between they and Nintendo. I am adding Fulgore as the Rare representative of sorts. It would be interesting to get a fighting game character as early as Melee and I think Killer Instinct's aesthetic clashes so hard with the other Nintendo characters that it makes somewhat sense.
  • Finally let's talk about Ganondorf. I am removing him to add... Ganon! Yeah, I think it makes more sense to have the huge pig villain. And we have just the right amount of characters, now that Marth is decloned.

What about the clones? Well, let's see what I got...
  • A miserable choice, I know it, but... what if we got :ultridley:as a clone of Charizard? The body structure is not THAT different, after all. When you think about it, it makes more sense than having Ganondorf as a clone of Captain Falcon.
  • Roy is replaced with Leif. His came had already come out and so his personality was well established at that point. And besides, it might have drawn attention to the Jugdral series of Fire Emblem, easily my favorite. Leif is still a clone for Marth, but uses Light as his element of choice. And probably, I'd remove the Binding Shield, as in official artworks Marth rarely wielded it.
  • For this last clone I literally had no idea. I have thought about it for like 20 minutes, then I decided to go with my guts and add :4dedede: as a giant clone of Kirby. I mean, if we could get Young Link as a clone of Link, I don't get why we can't get a sized-up version of Kirby as a clone too. Dedede would be a very late addition, but a fun one nonetheless.

So the full list of fighters is as follows:
Starters
:mariomelee::dkmelee::linkmelee::samusmelee::kirbymelee::foxmelee::pikachumelee::ultbanjokazooie:
:luigimelee::marthmelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee::icsmelee::sheikmelee::yoshimelee: Fulgore

Unlockables
:nessmelee::006::younglinkmelee::falcomelee::pichumelee:
Leif :ultridley: Ganon:mewtwomelee::4dedede:

TheLastMaverickHunter

Smash Journeyman
For this last clone I literally had no idea. I have thought about it for like 20 minutes, then I decided to go with my guts and add :4dedede: as a giant clone of Kirby. I mean, if we could get Young Link as a clone of Link, I don't get why we can't get a sized-up version of Kirby as a clone too. Dedede would be a very late addition, but a fun one nonetheless.
No offence, but I think he'd be better off as an :ulticeclimbers: clone.

Last edited:

LoZ00

Smash Journeyman
No offence, but I think he'd be better off as an :ulticeclimbers: clone.
I don't know... I mean, they sure do have hammers, but Ice Climbers and Dedede have very different body frames, whereas Kirby and Dedede do at least resemble each other to an extent. But in hindsight, I should have just gone with Dr. Mario or Zelda as a clone of Peach.

TheLastMaverickHunter

Smash Journeyman
I don't know... I mean, they sure do have hammers, but Ice Climbers and Dedede have very different body frames, whereas Kirby and Dedede do at least resemble each other to an extent. But in hindsight, I should have just gone with Dr. Mario or Zelda as a clone of Peach.
I understand. Only say because I heard Sakurai would have had problems doing this (this isn’t to bash or dictate your roster).

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I made my most recent fantasy rosters for the whole series, but for now I’m going to do 64.
IMG_2468.png

For those wondering why the CSS is ordered the way it is, it’s because a character on the bottom half of the roster would act as a “rival” to a character on the top half in 1P Game. If you beat 1P Game as a character at the top, you unlock their rival.

BTW, we’re doing a creation thread where we remake Smash from the ground up.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Y'know what? Let's take another crack at this one. It's been a couple of years.

I'm going to suggest that my take on this concept is changed, slightly. In a lot of cases, ideal circumstances happen to arise, and this generally means I'm not going to take into account clones - though the roster sizes are the same as the original games to maintain just a smidgeon of realism. Also, whilst I will include roster images (because the table function on SmashBoards SUCKS ASS), note that the designs seen in the images don't necessarily reflect the designs seen in the actual game - I'll describe them on a case-by-case basis.

Without further ado, let's go!

With the first game in the Super Smash Bros. series, I didn't want to be beholden by the requirements of the original 12 - removing clones where possible and focusing on moveset variety, whilst also wanting to take the opportunity to represent a wider swathe of Nintendo's library at this time. This game releases in 1999 like the original, but as I mentioned earlier, this is a sort of ideal scenario where we don't need to reuse assets and, hence, don't have clones.

#01: Mario is predominantly inspired by his Super Mario 64 appearance, and makes sense as "Mr. Nintendo" to include here. That said, I'd also like to pull minor elements and references from across his history for the sake of keeping him fresh... though I am a little on the fence as to whether I'd give him a hammer move or not.
#02: Link is primarily based on his Ocarina of Time appearance here. Admittedly, I don't have a lot of notes - though given he's based on his Ocarina appearance specifically, I'm opting to replace his Boomerang special with a Bow akin to the later games. (I'd probably give him back his Boomerang in later games, but given it was one of the few items he couldn't use in Ocarina of Time in his adult form, I think this makes sense for this game.
#03: Kirby is actually pretty decent in my mind, though I'd want him to have more of his normal attacks reference different Copy Abilities from across the series. I wouldn't include hats as well, because of his Inhale neutral special, but having stuff like Needle for his down smash makes a lot of sense.
#04: Pikachu is our main rep for the Pokémon series, though I'll admit his character and design is predominantly based on the anime as opposed to the game given it's his more prominent appearance anyway. I actually don't have many notes on his inclusion, I think he's good.
#05: Donkey Kong is here very deliberately based on the Donkey Kong Country series - which I think makes a lot of sense. He sort of also fills the role of "replacing" Yoshi - I didn't want too many Mario-adjescent characters in the first game, so it made sense to go with Donkey Kong given he's got a unique grappler archetype whilst also having decent history with Nintendo.
#06: Samus gets a bit of a redesign to generally make her faster-paced and more akin to her gameplay in the actual Metroid series, predominantly being based on Super Metroid. Whilst I wouldn't include a dedicated property-changing ability that gives her ice-based attacks, I would include a variety of different weapons from across the series in her toolkit. Also, she has the Wave Beam instead of the Charge Beam.
#07: Marth is here as a representative of the Fire Emblem series, who I chose over a more recent protagonist given his prominence and reoccuring appearances overall. I think it'd be interesting, given he's a Lord, to have his moveset in this game feature specials that have him summon allies from Shadow Dragon to perform unique attacks befitting of their class, loosely representing his series' nature.
#08: Fox is a representative of the Star Fox series, this time in his Star Fox 64 design, and I actually quite like the school of thought behind his design in the real-world Smash series. That said, I'd quite like to make him a little faster and lighter, really playing into the idea of replicating the feel of his games rather than his own character in like, Star Fox 64's 4-player third person shooter mode or whatever.
#09: Bowser is the second Super Mario character, replacing Luigi because I think he's more warranted and unique. Whilst I think his mainline Smash moveset is servicable, I'd like Bowser's character to feel less bestial and a little more like his interpretation in Super Mario 64 - a villainous and dangerous presence, but just a little bit goofy. Of course, I wouldn't play that up too much, but it'd be a great way of giving him some character.
#10: Paula is picked as a representative for the MOTHER series, partially because I think her moveset being almost completely PSI-centred would be a great way to represent a unique character moveset, but also because I think she'd be a unique inclusion in terms of her general vibe. I'll include Ness later down the line, but Paula's moveset would allow for some of the more esoteric elements of the series to be represented more clearly.
#11: Charizard is picked as the second Pokémon rep over someone like Mewtwo because I honestly believe he makes a lot of sense in a game like this. Being the box art Pokémon for Red helps him a lot, and I think an in-game starter as well as a fully-evolved Pokémon makes sense to act as a sufficiently different concept to Pikachu's whole deal.
#12: Captain Falcon is actually pretty similar to his vibe in the real-world Smash series, though I'd personally ham up the pro-wrestling/tokusatsu inspiration behind some of his character design elements. That said, I do like him being fast and hard-hitting - it helps represent the risk/reward of the F-Zero series' main gameplay loop well, so we're keeping that. Oh, and his design is based on F-Zero X.

The sequel to Super Smash Bros. has a lot to live up to, and that's why I'm making the executive decision to extend development in such a way that this game releases in 2002 instead. It might seem like an odd choice, but this allows some characters to be better-represented than ever before, as well as the inclusion of other characters who otherwise might not have gotten the spotlight.

RETURNEES
#01: Mario is once again a sort of fusion between his various looks, though I would include the F.L.U.D.D. in his toolkit. I wouldn't roll up his sleeves, though.
#02: Link is again based on his Ocarina of Time design, but now acts as more of a composite of "Link" across the Zelda franchise, now using items and weapons from across the series - including games like A Link to the Past. Otherwise, no real notes - I just don't want him to feel like an archetypical swordfighter when his whole deal should really be his use of interesting or unusual items.
#03: Kirby is pretty much unchanged! Whilst I'd give him some additional moves in keeping with Melee's wider moveset, I'd keep to the similar sort of vibe I've suggested elsewhere. Maybe I'd pull a little from newer games in the franchise, though.
#04: Pikachu is once again pretty much unchanged - continuing to be based on his anime appearance almost completely. That said, I'd have a mechanic where he's followed by a Trainer in the background layer, which would be carried over to a lot of Pokémon in the future. Pikachu's Trainer would be Ash.
#05: Donkey Kong continues to be based primarily on the Donkey Kong Country franchise, though now takes minor elements from Donkey Kong 64. That said, I wouldn't give him a projectile - neither a barrel or the infamous coconut gun.
#06: Samus is redesign to feature her Metroid Prime look, specifically the Power Suit as opposed to the Varia Suit (so as to represent the older series as well as the newer game.) That said, her main mechanical change is that she can now choose to activate Ice Beam, which imbues many of her plasmatic attacks with ice-based properties, allowing particularly powerful ones to freeze opponents at higher percentages. Otherwise, she maintains the mobile nature seen throughout the Metroid series.
#07: Marth is a bit of an odd beast in this series in that he's fundamentally a lot different to his typical self, but in this game, I'd have his normals focus more on his swordplay - with a few of his specials in the real-world Smash series featuring in other positions - whilst he summons Shadow Dragon characters for his special moves specifically.
#08: Fox remains pretty much the same, though he now features his Adventures design. That said, one or two of his normals would now feature his staff from that game - though this doesn't need to be a permenant change or anything, just a recency bias sort of matter.
#09: Bowser remains pretty much the same as well, with his character now being moreso inspired by his Sunshine appearance. I'd also like to note that he has access to a more traditional fireball akin to many of his boss battles as opposed to just the flamethrower (which is given to Charizard instead.)
#10: Paula remains in place as well, though I'd like to feature the frying pan in one or two of her normals. I considered having her feature a mechanic where she can be joined by party members from EarthBound when performing certain attacks, but felt it'd detract from her unique appeal.
#11: Charizard remains almost identical, with just some basic new additions and revamps to keep him up to date with the rest of the cast. Akin to Pikachu, his personality is mainly inspired by that of the anime - though his actual moveset is inspired at least in part by the games. Also, like I mentioned with Pikachu, Charizard now gets a dedicated Trainer running around in the background layer with him - this time, Red.
#12: Captain Falcon is now based on his F-Zero GX design, and I'm cranking his personality up to eleven - especially in relation to his tokusatsu inspirations. I want him to feel almost like Kamen Rider or a Tatsunoko hero - but with his own unique twist. That'd be his whole thing going forward, coupled with maintaining his high-risk, high-reward playstyle.

NEWCOMERS
#13: Luigi was an obvious candidate to bring in, and bringing him in in Melee allows me to inspire him a little more from his more defined personality in spin-offs like Luigi's Mansion as well as the sports titles. Overall, I'd see his moveset as homaging to Mario's, but being different in a lot of places and ways - and not just falling into the trap of being "weird". Also, Luigi gets a tether grab using the Poltergust.
#14: Peach was another obvious Super Mario series newcomer who is predominantly inspired by her appearances in Super Mario Bros. USA and Super Mario RPG, with her personality being predominantly inspired by that seen in the spinoff sports titles given it's more than just "Thank you, Mario!".
#15: Yoshi finally makes his appearance as a representative of the self-titled Yoshi franchise, though I'd say his moveset is pretty decent as is and I'm not giving him Baby Mario or anything like that.
#16: Wario actually makes a lot of sense to me in this kind of context, though his moveset is predominantly based on the Wario Land series given the timeframe. For this, I'm going all out - Wario is able to use all kinds of items from the franchise up until this point in his moveset, we're not just talking a shoulder bash. That said, he wouldn't just instantly switch power-ups - I'd like him to physically pull out and switch his hats, for instance.
#17: Zelda is an obvious candidate for a newcomer in the series named after her, though in this case, she isn't tied to Sheik though her design is based on her Ocarina of Time appearance. That said, whilst I would include her magical abilities, I'd base them more on the concept of "light" as opposed to pulling from the different spells Link uses in that game, befitting of her nature as a Sage. I'd also do something a little unorthodox, and give her a rapier for her normals.
#18: Ganondorf is also based on his Ocarina of Time appearance, though also loosely brings in elements from his Wind Waker appearance. He doesn't fight with a sword - nor is he a "dark mage" - rather, he uses a combination of elements seen throughout the series, and uniquely fights wielding a trident in reference to his older appearances as well as Phantom Ganon. I think it'd give him a fantastically unique moveset overall.
#19: King Dedede is a fairly obvious inclusion who I'd mainly base on his appearance in Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards as well as his boss fights from throughout the series. He's pretty unique in that he's turned up a lot across the Kirby series, plus he's handled pretty well in the real-world Smash series, so I'd go with that kind of vibe.
#20: Mewtwo represents legendaries as well as the still in-recent-memory Pokémon: The First Movie, so I'd argue his inclusion is warranted. Unlike Pikachu and Charizard, he wouldn't have a Trainer running around after him. Also, I'd like his moveset to focus more prominently on his psychic abilities by giving him a couple of pretty weird hitboxes and moves in general... and maybe pull very slight inspiration from Freiza.
#21: Marill is our Gen II rep, and I think it's warranted - a Water-type is new to the roster, Marill appeared fairly prominently in the anime, and the unique body type we have to work with allows for a pretty unique vibe overall, as well as not stepping on the toes of purely representing starters - allowing for more unique takes later down the line. It'd also have a Trainer running around after it, this time being Kris.
#22: Wolf, contrary to what you might expect, is pretty much completely decloned from Fox and only has callbacks to some of his moves (akin to how Luigi shares basic conceptual similarities to Mario but with fundamental changes.) His moveset rewards more offensive and in-your-face play, giving him a significantly more aggressive playstyle overall.
#23: Lip is another newcomer to the series, but given I was cutting Dr. Mario from the off, I wanted a puzzle game rep of some description - and she immediately sprung to mind as a fun inclusion on that front. Her magic would be centred around Lip's Stick, giving her a flowery vibe whilst also having a few of her moves call back to Panel de Pon's actual gameplay.
#24: Sukapon is our de-facto retro rep, replacing both the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch (the latter of whom I'd personally introduce much later down the line in Sm4sh, probably.) Representing a new genre in fighting games, as well as being a hugely requested character in the classic Smash 2 poll, I think he's a natural fit for a game like this. Plus, in situations where his own moveset is too limited, we can pull from other Joy Mech Fight characters too.
#25: Olimar sort of replaces Roy as the de-facto "new game" rep, but I think Pikmin is logical to represent at this time - in close competition with Animal Crossing, but I digress. Olimar's moveset actually seems fine enough in the real-world Smash series, though I'd limit his Pikmin to three instead of five from the off here. It also kind of makes more sense to do that here anyway.

Whilst I'd like to continue this going forward, I'm going to take a similar mindset to Sakurai when developing the real-world Brawl and imagine this as the last game in the series. (I'll go on to Sm4sh at some point, but I haven't done that yet.) That being said, I want franchises to feel more rounded out - as well as new franchises to get introduced here and there to give us a better representation of Nintendo as a whole. That said... let's get into it!

RETURNEES
#01: Mario now has various moves from New Super Mario Bros. as well as the spin attack from Galaxy as a neutral air, with his moveset being generally modernised for the most part and slightly homogenized into a more singular format.
#02: Link has been redesigned to resemble his Twilight Princess appearance, with some of his items being changed and updated to reflect the new game.
#03: Kirby remains pretty similar, just with some more new Copy Abilities in his normals and obviously more Inhale abilities due to a larger roster.
#04: Pikachu again remains pretty similar, keeping Ash as his Trainer.
#05: Donkey Kong actually doesn't get many changes, he's pretty good as is. However, his representation is now a bit more varied, still with a primary focus on the Country series but now also featuring some classic and more modern stuff.
#06: Samus is now based on her appearance in Prime 2, as well as now being in the Varia Suit by default as opposed to the Power Suit.
#07: Marth actually doesn't need any changes yet either. I think he's good as is.
#08: Fox gets a redesign based on Assault, but otherwise he's pretty similar overall. No more staff moves, though.
#09: Bowser is made slightly bigger this time around compared to the rest of the cast - not Iron Giant in MultiVersus levels of big, but I'd like Brawl to play with some of the Smash series' unwritten conventions, one of which is scale.
#10: Paula actually doesn't get any additions, though I'd choose to put less focus on the frying pan in her normals and keep it for like, just her forward smash.
#11: Charizard is also similar, though now gets a glide, and keeps Red as his Trainer.
#12: Captain Falcon is now based on his look in F-Zero Climax, but otherwise maintains a similar vibe, keeping the tokusatsu inspiration.

#13: Luigi is further differentiated from Mario, though I'd continue to keep the thematic similarities of him being "the same, but different" in some places.
#14: Peach gets a couple of new changes - namely, her parasol is replaced with Perry the Parasol from Super Princess Peach, and her Toad Counter is replaced with Toadsworth (partially because it makes way more sense for him specifically to be protecting her.)
#15: Yoshi
#16: Wario undergoes a seismic shift in design reflecting the WarioWare series, with his moveset fundamentally changing to reflect this series better. I've sort of alluded to characters undergoing moveset changes from game to game before now, but this is probably the biggest so far... even if I think it's justified.
#17: Zelda is updated to her Twilight Princess design, keeping the rapier as part of her kit but also getting the Bow of Light as a Final Smash. She also now has a unique effect where her smash attacks "imbue" her rapier with light energy, but it's mainly just a visual thing that gives her smash attacks multi-hitting properties.
#18: Ganondorf is also updated to his Twilight Princess design, though his trident from the past game is now replaced with the Sword of the Six Sages for many of his close-up attacks. To parallel Zelda, he's also got a mechanic where he imbues dark energy into the sword when performing smash attacks, though this gives them slightly more range and power as opposed to a multi-hit effect.
#19: King Dedede is pretty much the same! I actually wouldn't add too much to him, maybe aside from a couple of moves pulled from some of his newer appearances.
#20: Mewtwo returns! That said, I'd probably keep the smoother look akin to what we saw in the real-world Sm4sh.
#21: Marill? Okay, this one was a tough, but necessary, call. When thinking up new Pokémon reps for the third and fourth generations, Gen IV felt best-represented by Piplup given their prominence in the marketing and existence as a starter. The problem? Piplup is a small-ish water type. Now, Marill by Gen VI also gets the Fairy typing, but my thought process here is that this works like a Young Link/Toon Link situation - Marill is functionally replaced with a somewhat different character, but could come back in future games as a unique fighter.
#22: Wolf is also based on his Assault appearance, though in this game, I'd switch him up a little to be a pretty mobile heavyweight - heavy-hitting and a nightmare to go up against with floatier characters, but slightly lacking in recovery potential because of his fast-falling and being easy to get into combos.
#23: Lip returns again, though I'd now change her design just a little to indicate an "evolution" of her own character - maybe making her look just a couple of years older. Other characters in Panel de Pon have a slightly older physique (given I think Lip's about 10), so it'd be a good way to evolve her design a little.
#24: Sukapon also remains pretty similar. I considered having him have the ability to use different segments from other opponents in Joy Mech Fight, but I don't think that'd work very well - so rather, I'm suggesting he'd just use some moves from other characters in that game to give him a more rounded moveset.
#25: Olimar remains similar too, though I'd now add Purple to his list of Pikmin as opposed to just Red, Blue and Yellow.

NEWCOMERS
#26: Toad is our newcomer from the Super Mario series, coming out from under Peach's dress to fight as part of the roster. I imagine for the most part his design is based very loosely on his various playable appearances, with a fast ground speed and generally powerful attacks whilst being pretty small - but also predominantly fighting with items from across the Super Mario series given the history of Toad Houses and the like. Hell, if we would be able to, it'd be good to include the Propeller Mushroom as an up special.
#27: Impa is unique as a newcomer in that her design is pretty much original to Smash. Akin to how real-world Brawl used concept art for a Sheik design in Twilight Princess to design his appearance in the game, a similar design would be devised for Impa, with her moveset being inspired by the Sheikah in general as well as various concepts and tropes related to ninja in media.
#28: Meta Knight actually got handled pretty well in terms of basic design in Brawl, and whilst I'd obviously balance him a little, I quite like that many of his aerial tools leave him actionable (which would actually be a more general change across the board in my case.) That said, to offset this, he's a lightweight - so if you do manage to hit him, it has a nasty effect.
#29: Deoxys is my first Pokémon newcomer, and I think this was a foregone conclusion. A Gen III rep felt like a big, gaping hole in the real-world Smash series' representation, and whilst there's a lot of interesting picks that'd work in this case like Gardevoir, Blaziken, Sceptile and so forth - but Deoxys is another Legendary and has a lot of potential with a mechanic where certain moves switch it between its Attack, Defense and Speed forms to give it different properties.
#30: Piplup is our Gen IV rep, and a practical replacement for the (as of now) still Water-type Marill. Given Piplup's nature as a starter and a prominent Pokémon in the anime, I think it makes sense to include here - plus, based on a penguin, there's other potential for its moveset too.
#31: Donkey Kong Jr. is our first newcomer from the Donkey Kong series, chosen perhaps controversially over Diddy because I'd quite like to represent "classic DK" in a character - this making Junior a sort of composite of the different arcade titles. He's also appeared in games like Super Mario Kart and Mario Tennis, so it's not like he's been completely forgotten over the years. In terms of moveset, he's a little smaller than DK as you'd expect, but his moveset is a bit more technical, featuring plenty of trapping tools and the like.
#32: Dark Samus is our first new Metroid character, probably another controversial choice considering it's here opposed to Ridley, but I think it's justified given Dark Samus is a prominent, well-recieved antagonist from one of Nintendo's more well-renouned franchises - and has more than enough potential to have an incredibly unique moveset overall. Plus, I like the idea of including more villains anyway, so it's pretty obvious in my mind to go with it as opposed to ZSS.
#33: Lyn is a newcomer from the Fire Emblem series, who - unlike Marth - doesn't have the summoning mechanic, instead being based more on the combat animations and the like seen in the franchise. Picking her over Ike was a difficult decision to make, but I felt her importance being from a game so vital to the history of the franchise in the west makes sense - and her being a more lightweight, fast-paced swordfighter and bow-wielder would make her unique compared to almost anyone else.
#34: Slippy is another newcomer from the Star Fox series, based on his Assault design here. In terms of moveset, I imagine him as your very tech-focused zoner-trapper - he'd use technology to his advantage and plays very differently to both Fox and Wolf. As for why Slippy over Falco or Krystal, I think Falco would run the risk of being too similar to the Fox/Wolf dynamic, and Krystal isn't really from a well-recieved game in the first place.
#35: Ness is a perhaps surprising decision, being our second MOTHER character. Whilst his moveset does feature some PSI attacks, it's predominantly made up of the normal weapons seen in EarthBound that he can equip - specifically the Bat, the Yo-Yo and the Slingshot. I want him to feel like he represents the character and quirkyness of the series whilst Paula represents its more esoteric aspects.
#36: Pit actually doesn't need many changes! I like the decision to recontextualise him as though the Kid Icarus franchise had continued onward to the game's release, and his segmented bow is a really unique weapon concept.
#37: Sami is a newcomer from the Wars franchise, a long-running strategy series most prominent in the west through Advance Wars. In terms of moveset, I imagine she'd have elements of CQC and some explosives in her toolkit, akin to real-world Snake - though she'd also be able to call in reinforcements with different effects, loosely based on Marth's ability to do something similar. I think she's more than warranted in a game like this, and representing a new long-running series is also a great call in this roster.
#38: Yuka is a newcomer from the Rhythm Heaven franchise, chosen due to her prominence on the boxart for Rhythm Tengoku though her actual moveset would feature a variety of characters and objects from the different minigames there. Her main "gimmick" is that many of her attacks use a rhythm mechanic in that they're powered up when you perform the inputs indicated to you - so, for instance, her smash attacks may work a little like the hammer swings in the Paper Mario series.
#39: Sonic is our first third-party newcomer - and our only one. In terms of his inclusion, this is in a hypothetical world where SEGA played ball from the very beginning, allowing us to represent him in a more effective manner without as many restraints. As for his moveset, it's mostly based on the Advance series, the Rush series, Battle, elements from the Adventure games (as well as Heroes) and one or two callbacks to '06. I want him to feel like "modern" Sonic in his 2D form, and maintain a fast and fluid moveset that'd reward speed and constant pressure.

I might cover Sm4sh in the future at some point, but for the time being, I'll leave it here. Rest assured that in this universe, things keep going forward - though I think that from this point forward, some of the changes I've made would drastically affect the trajectory of things. Perhaps the Fire Emblem series got localised earlier, or the Tetris Attack series became a long-running Nintendo puzzle series or something of the like? Either way, I think this is fun. Lemme know your thoughts!

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
I made my most recent fantasy rosters for the whole series, but for now I’m going to do 64.
View attachment 374560
For those wondering why the CSS is ordered the way it is, it’s because a character on the bottom half of the roster would act as a “rival” to a character on the top half in 1P Game. If you beat 1P Game as a character at the top, you unlock their rival.

BTW, we’re doing a creation thread where we remake Smash from the ground up.
Okay, now I’m gonna follow through with this, but a lot has changed in the past two months.

(Italics bold denotes unlockable characters)
Characters
Mario​
Donkey Kong​
Link​
Samus​
Yoshi​
Kirby​
Fox​
Pikachu​
Luigi
Bowser
Marth
Mewtwo
King Dedede
Ness
Captain Falcon
Meowth

In this game, unlocking characters works similar to Tekken 1 and 2; you fight your rival in 1P Game and you can initiate their unlock match by beating 1P Game without continues.
  • Mario vs. Luigi
  • Donkey Kong vs. Bowser
  • Link vs. Marth
  • Samus vs. Mewtwo
  • Yoshi vs. King Dedede
  • Kirby vs. Ness
  • Fox vs. Captain Falcon
  • Pikachu vs. Meowth

Stages
Mushroom Kingdom​
Kongo Jungle​
Hyrule Castle​
Planet Zebes​
Super Happy Tree​
Green Greens​
Great Fox​
Saffron City​
Talys​
Magicant​
Mute City SNES​
Meta Crystal​
Duel Zone​
Final Destination​
Characters
Mario​
Luigi
Bowser​
Peach​
Yoshi​
Wario
Donkey Kong​
Diddy Kong
Link​
Zelda / Sheik​
Ganondorf
Samus​
Kirby​
King Dedede
Fox​
Falco
Pikachu​
Meowth
Mewtwo
Scizor​
Marth
Ness​
Captain Falcon​
Ice Climbers​
Ayumi
Mr. Game & Watch

Mushroom Castle
Bob-Omb Battlefield
Mushroom Cup
Luigi Raceway
Mushroom Kingdom
Peach's Castle
Dark Land
Bowser's Castle
Yoshi's Island
Yoshi's Story
Golden Passage
Golden Pyramid
DK Island
Kongo Falls
DK Island
Jungle Japes
Termina
Great Bay
Hyrule
Temple
Hyrule
Gerudo Valley
Planet Zebes
Brinstar
Rainbow Resort
Fountain of Dreams
Mt. Dedede
Dedede Arena
Lylat System
Corneria
Lylat System
Venom
Kanto
Pokémon Stadium
Kanto
Meowth's Party
Cerulean City
Cerulean Cave
Violet City
Sprout Tower
Wyvern's Dale
Dragon's Table
Eagleland
Onett
F-ZERO Grand Prix
Big Blue
Icicle Mountain
Condor's Peak
Japan-Only
Famicom Disk System
Superflat World
Flat Zone
Battlefield
Final Destination
Mushroom Kingdom
Kongo Jungle
Hyrule Castle
Planet Zebes
Super Happy Tree
Green Greens
Great Fox
Saffron City
Talys
Magicant
Mute City SNES
Meta Crystal
Characters
Mario​
Luigi
Bowser​
Peach​
Yoshi​
Wario​
Donkey Kong​
Diddy Kong​
Dixie Kong
Link​
Zelda / Sheik​
Ganondorf
Tetra
Samus / Zero Suit Samus​
Kirby​
King Dedede​
Meta Knight​
Fox​
Falco
Wolf
Pikachu​
Pokémon Trainer*​
Meowth
Mewtwo
Plusle & Minun​
Lucario
Marth
Lyn​
Ike​
Ness
Lucas​
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers​
Mr. Game & Watch
Pit​
Olimar​
Isaac
DeMille
R.O.B.
Snake​
Sonic
RANDOM​
*Totodile, Grovyle and Charizard
Battlefield​
Final Destination​
Delfino Plaza​
Mushroomy Kingdom​
Waluigi Pinball​
Luigi's Mansion
Bramble Blast​
25m
Bridge of Eldin​
Pirate Ship
Norfair​
Frigate Orpheon​
Yoshi's Island​
Halberd​
Rainbow Route
Lylat Cruise​
Pokémon Stadium 2​
Spear Pillar
Castle Siege​
New Pork City​
Fourside
Casino Palace​
Summit​
Flat Zone 2
Skyworld​
Forest of Hope​
Venus Lighthouse
Spillville
Gyromite
Smashville​
PictoChat​
Shadow Moses Island​
Green Hill Zone
RANDOM​
Melee Stages ->​
Bob-Omb Battlefield​
Jungle Japes
Temple​
Brinstar​
Yoshi's Story
Dedede Arena
Corneria​
Pokémon Stadium
Onett​
Big Blue
Final Destination (Melee)
Base game
Mario​
Luigi​
Bowser​
Peach​
Paper Mario​
Bowser Jr.
Rosalina & Luma​
Yoshi​
Wario
Donkey Kong​
Diddy Kong​
Dixie Kong
Link​
Zelda​
Sheik​
Ganondorf
Tetra​
Samus​
Zero Suit Samus​
Kirby​
King Dedede​
Meta Knight​
Fox​
Falco
Pikachu​
Meowth
Scizor​
Lucario​
Greninja​
Marth​
Lyn
Ike​
Chrom / Lucina​
Ness
Captain Falcon​
Mr. Game & Watch
Pit​
Dark Pit
Palutena​
Olimar / Alph​
Isabelle​
Wii Fit Trainer​
Little Mac​
Shulk​
Duck Hunt
Takamaru
Sonic​
Mega Man​
PAC-MAN
Mii Fighters*​
*Brawler, Swordfighter and Gunner

DLC
Mewtwo​
Rayman​
Lucas​
Ryu​
Cloud​
Azura​
Bayonetta​
Inkling​

Stages
  1. Battlefield
  2. Final Destination
  3. Boxing Ring
  4. Miiverse
  5. Wily Castle
  6. PAC-MAZE
  7. Suzaku Castle (DLC)
  8. Midgar (DLC)
  9. Umbra Clock Tower (DLC)
  1. 3D Land
  2. Golden Plains
  3. Rainbow Road
  4. Paper Theater
  5. Luiginary Works
  6. Golden Temple
  7. Kongo Jungle (64)
  8. Spirit Train
  9. Gerudo Valley (Melee)
  10. Brinstar (Melee)
  11. Yoshi's New Island
  12. Butter Building
  13. Rainbow Route (Brawl)
  14. Corneria (Melee)
  15. Unova Pokémon League
  16. Sprout Tower (Melee)
  17. Arena Ferox
  18. Opera House (DLC)
  19. Magicant (64)
  20. Mute City SNES (64)
  21. WarioWare (Brawl)
  22. Flat Zone (Melee)
  23. Reset Bomb Forest
  24. Forest of Hope (Brawl)
  25. Tortimer Island
  26. Duck Hunt
  27. Game Boy
  28. Living Room
  29. Find Mii
  30. Tomodachi Life
  31. Pilotwings
  32. Green Hill Zone (Brawl)
  33. Jibberish Jungle (DLC)
  1. Big Battlefield
  2. Mushroom Kingdom U
  3. Mario Galaxy
  4. Cloudtop Cruise
  5. Luigi's Mansion (Brawl)
  6. Bowser's Castle (Melee)
  7. Super Mario Maker (DLC)
  8. Grassland Groove
  9. 25m (Brawl)
  10. Skyloft
  11. Temple (Melee)
  12. Pirate Ship (Brawl)
  13. Pyrosphere
  14. Planet Zebes (64)
  15. Norfair (Brawl)
  16. Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
  17. Quilty Square
  18. Halberd (Brawl)
  19. Orbital Gate Assault
  20. Great Fox (64)
  21. Lylat Cruise (Brawl)
  22. Kalos Pokémon League
  23. Pokémon Stadium 2 (Brawl)
  24. Tower of Guidance
  25. Coliseum
  26. Castle Siege (Brawl)
  27. Onett (Melee)
  28. New Pork City (DLC)
  29. Casino Palace (Brawl)
  30. Gamer
  31. Golden Pyramid (Melee)
  32. Flat Zone 2 (Brawl)
  33. Palutena's Temple
  34. Skyworld (Brawl)
  35. Garden of Hope
  36. Smashville (Brawl)
  37. Wii Fit Studio
  38. Gaur Plain
  39. Castle Town
  40. Inkopolis Plaza (DLC)
  41. Wrecking Crew
  42. Wuhu Island
  43. Steel Diver
  44. Windy Hill
  45. Fiesta de los Muertos (DLC)
64MeleeBrawl3DS / Wii UNewcomers
  • 1. Mario
  • 2. Donkey Kong
  • 3. Link
  • 4. Samus
    • 4ε. Dark Samus
  • 5. Yoshi
  • 6. Kirby
  • 7. Fox
  • 8. Pikachu
  • 9. Luigi
  • 10. Bowser
  • 11. Marth
  • 12. Mewtwo
  • 13. King Dedede
  • 14. Ness
  • 15. Captain Falcon
  • 16. Meowth
  • 17. Peach
    • 17ε. Daisy
  • 18. Zelda
  • 19. Sheik
    • 19ε. Yiga
  • 20. Scizor
  • 21. Ice Climbers
  • 22. Wario
  • 23. Diddy Kong
    • 23ε. Dixie Kong
  • 24. Ganondorf
  • 25. Falco
  • 26. Ayumi
  • 27. Mr. Game & Watch
  • 28. Meta Knight
  • 29. Lyn
  • 30. Pit
    • 30ε. Dark Pit
  • 31. Snake
  • 32. Ike
  • 33-35. Pokémon Trainer
    • Totodile
    • Grovyle
    • Charizard
  • 36. Zero Suit Samus
  • 37. Lucas
  • 38. Sonic
    • 38ε. Shadow
  • 39. Plusle & Minun
  • 40. Olimar
    • 40ε. Alph
  • 41. Isaac
  • 42. DeMille
  • 43. R.O.B.
  • 44. Tetra
  • 45. Wolf
  • 46. Lucario
  • 47. Isabelle
  • 48. Mega Man
  • 49. Wii Fit Trainer
  • 50. Rosalina & Luma
  • 51. Paper Mario
  • 52. Little Mac
    • 52ε. Glass Joe
  • 53. Greninja
  • 54-56. Mii Fighters
    • Brawler
    • Swordfighter
    • Gunner
  • 57. Palutena
  • 58. PAC-MAN
  • 59. Chrom / Lucina
  • 60. Shulk
  • 61. Bowser Jr.
  • 62. Duck Hunt
  • 63. Takamaru
  • 64. Rayman
  • 65. Ryu
    • 65ε. Ken
  • 66. Cloud
  • 67. Azura
  • 68. Bayonetta
  • 69. Inkling
  • 70. Simon
    • 70ε. Richter
  • 71. Ridley
  • 72. King K. Rool
  • 73. Incineroar
  • 74. Bandana Waddle Dee
  • 75. Banjo & Kazooie
(* denotes a stage that was modified to account for certain fighters)
Normal64MeleeBrawl3DS / Wii U
  1. Battlefield
  2. Big Battlefield
  3. Final Destination
  4. New Donk City Hall
  5. Great Plateau Tower
  6. Iki Town
  7. Dracula's Castle
  8. Spiral Mountain
  9. Mementos (DLC)
  10. Yggdrasil's Altar (DLC)
  11. N. Sanity Beach (DLC)
  12. Arseille (DLC)
  13. King of Fighters Stadium (DLC)
  14. New Seed (DLC)
  15. Volcanic Rim (DLC)
  16. Egg Planet Park (DLC)
  17. Northern Cave (DLC)
  18. Cloud Sea of Alrest (DLC)
  19. Infinite Azure (DLC)
  20. Hollow Bastion (DLC)
  21. Custom Stages
  1. Duel Zone
  2. Big Duel Zone
  3. Final Destination (64)
  4. Mushroom Kingdom
  5. Kongo Jungle
  6. Hyrule Castle
  7. Planet Zebes
  8. Super Happy Tree
  9. Green Greens
  10. Great Fox
  11. Saffron City
  12. Talys
  13. Magicant
  14. Mute City SNES
  15. Meta Crystal
  1. Battlefield (Melee)
  2. Big Battlefield (Melee)
  3. Final Destination (Melee)
  4. Bob-omb Battlefield
  5. Peach's Castle
  6. Bowser's Castle
  7. Yoshi's Story
  8. Kongo Falls
  9. Great Bay
  10. Temple
  11. Brinstar
  12. Fountain of Dreams
  13. Corneria
  14. Pokémon Stadium
  15. Sprout Tower
  16. Onett
  17. Big Blue
  18. Condor's Peak
  19. Luigi Raceway
  20. Golden Pyramid
  21. Jungle Japes
  22. Gerudo Valley
  23. Dedede Arena
  24. Venom
  25. Meowth's Party
  26. Cerulean Cave
  27. Dragon's Table
  28. Famicom Disk System
  29. Flat Zone
  1. Battlefield (Brawl)
  2. Big Battlefield (Brawl)
  3. Final Destination (Brawl)
  4. Delfino Plazas
  5. Mushroomy Kingdom
  6. Waluigi Pinball
  7. Bramble Blast
  8. Bridge of Eldin
  9. Norfair
  10. Frigate Orpheon
  11. Yoshi's Island
  12. Halberd
  13. Lylat Cruise
  14. Pokémon Stadium 2
  15. Castle Siege
  16. New Pork City
  17. Casino Palace
  18. Summit
  19. Skyworld
  20. Forest of Hope
  21. Smashville
  22. PictoChat
  23. Shadow Moses Island
  24. Luigi's Mansion
  25. 25m
  26. Pirate Ship
  27. Rainbow Route
  28. Spear Pillar
  29. Fourside
  30. Flat Zone 2
  31. Venus Lighthouse
  32. Spillville
  33. Gyromite
  34. Green Hill Zone
  1. Battlefield (for 3DS)
  2. Big Battlefield (for 3DS)
  3. Final Destination (for 3DS)
  4. Golden Plains
  5. Rainbow Road
  6. Paper Theater
  7. Luiginary Works
  8. Golden Temple
  9. Spirit Train
  10. Yoshi's New Island
  11. Butter Building
  12. Unova Pokémon League
  13. Arena Ferox
  14. Reset Bomb Forest
  15. Tortimer Island
  16. Duck Hunt
  17. Game Boy
  18. Living Room
  19. Find Mii
  20. Tomodachi Life
  21. Pilotwings
  22. Battlefield (for Wii U)
  23. Big Battlefield (for Wii U)
  24. Final Destination (for Wii U)
  25. Mushroom Kingdom U
  26. Mario Galaxy
  27. Cloudtop Cruise
  28. Grassland Groove
  29. Skyloft
  30. Pyrosphere*
  31. Quilty Square
  32. Orbital Gate Assault
  33. Kalos Pokémon League
  34. Tower of Guidance
  35. Coliseum
  36. Gamer
  37. Palutena's Temple
  38. Garden of Hope
  39. Wii Fit Studio
  40. Gaur Plain
  41. Castle Town
  42. Wrecking Crew
  43. Wuhu Island
  44. Steel Diver
  45. Windy Hill
  46. Wily Castle
  47. PAC-MAZE
  48. Boxing Ring
  49. Super Mario Maker
  50. Fiesta de los Muertos
  51. Jibberish Jungle
  52. Suzaku Castle
  53. Midgar
  54. Opera House
  55. Umbra Clock Tower
  56. Inkopolis Plaza
Vol. 1Vol. 2
  • 76. Joker
  • 77. Hero
  • 78. Crash Bandicoot
  • 79. Estelle Bright
  • 80-82. Team NEO GEO
    • Terry Bogard
    • Iori Yagami
    • Nakoruru
  • 83. Steve
  • 84. Chun-Li
  • 85. Dr. Eggman
  • 86. Sephiroth
  • 87-88. Pyra / Mythra
  • 89. Kazuya Mishima
  • 90. Sora

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Y'know what? Let's take another crack at this one. It's been a couple of years.

I'm going to suggest that my take on this concept is changed, slightly. In a lot of cases, ideal circumstances happen to arise, and this generally means I'm not going to take into account clones - though the roster sizes are the same as the original games to maintain just a smidgeon of realism. Also, whilst I will include roster images (because the table function on SmashBoards SUCKS ASS), note that the designs seen in the images don't necessarily reflect the designs seen in the actual game - I'll describe them on a case-by-case basis.

Without further ado, let's go!

With the first game in the Super Smash Bros. series, I didn't want to be beholden by the requirements of the original 12 - removing clones where possible and focusing on moveset variety, whilst also wanting to take the opportunity to represent a wider swathe of Nintendo's library at this time. This game releases in 1999 like the original, but as I mentioned earlier, this is a sort of ideal scenario where we don't need to reuse assets and, hence, don't have clones.

#01: Mario is predominantly inspired by his Super Mario 64 appearance, and makes sense as "Mr. Nintendo" to include here. That said, I'd also like to pull minor elements and references from across his history for the sake of keeping him fresh... though I am a little on the fence as to whether I'd give him a hammer move or not.
#02: Link is primarily based on his Ocarina of Time appearance here. Admittedly, I don't have a lot of notes - though given he's based on his Ocarina appearance specifically, I'm opting to replace his Boomerang special with a Bow akin to the later games. (I'd probably give him back his Boomerang in later games, but given it was one of the few items he couldn't use in Ocarina of Time in his adult form, I think this makes sense for this game.
#03: Kirby is actually pretty decent in my mind, though I'd want him to have more of his normal attacks reference different Copy Abilities from across the series. I wouldn't include hats as well, because of his Inhale neutral special, but having stuff like Needle for his down smash makes a lot of sense.
#04: Pikachu is our main rep for the Pokémon series, though I'll admit his character and design is predominantly based on the anime as opposed to the game given it's his more prominent appearance anyway. I actually don't have many notes on his inclusion, I think he's good.
#05: Donkey Kong is here very deliberately based on the Donkey Kong Country series - which I think makes a lot of sense. He sort of also fills the role of "replacing" Yoshi - I didn't want too many Mario-adjescent characters in the first game, so it made sense to go with Donkey Kong given he's got a unique grappler archetype whilst also having decent history with Nintendo.
#06: Samus gets a bit of a redesign to generally make her faster-paced and more akin to her gameplay in the actual Metroid series, predominantly being based on Super Metroid. Whilst I wouldn't include a dedicated property-changing ability that gives her ice-based attacks, I would include a variety of different weapons from across the series in her toolkit. Also, she has the Wave Beam instead of the Charge Beam.
#07: Marth is here as a representative of the Fire Emblem series, who I chose over a more recent protagonist given his prominence and reoccuring appearances overall. I think it'd be interesting, given he's a Lord, to have his moveset in this game feature specials that have him summon allies from Shadow Dragon to perform unique attacks befitting of their class, loosely representing his series' nature.
#08: Fox is a representative of the Star Fox series, this time in his Star Fox 64 design, and I actually quite like the school of thought behind his design in the real-world Smash series. That said, I'd quite like to make him a little faster and lighter, really playing into the idea of replicating the feel of his games rather than his own character in like, Star Fox 64's 4-player third person shooter mode or whatever.
#09: Bowser is the second Super Mario character, replacing Luigi because I think he's more warranted and unique. Whilst I think his mainline Smash moveset is servicable, I'd like Bowser's character to feel less bestial and a little more like his interpretation in Super Mario 64 - a villainous and dangerous presence, but just a little bit goofy. Of course, I wouldn't play that up too much, but it'd be a great way of giving him some character.
#10: Paula is picked as a representative for the MOTHER series, partially because I think her moveset being almost completely PSI-centred would be a great way to represent a unique character moveset, but also because I think she'd be a unique inclusion in terms of her general vibe. I'll include Ness later down the line, but Paula's moveset would allow for some of the more esoteric elements of the series to be represented more clearly.
#11: Charizard is picked as the second Pokémon rep over someone like Mewtwo because I honestly believe he makes a lot of sense in a game like this. Being the box art Pokémon for Red helps him a lot, and I think an in-game starter as well as a fully-evolved Pokémon makes sense to act as a sufficiently different concept to Pikachu's whole deal.
#12: Captain Falcon is actually pretty similar to his vibe in the real-world Smash series, though I'd personally ham up the pro-wrestling/tokusatsu inspiration behind some of his character design elements. That said, I do like him being fast and hard-hitting - it helps represent the risk/reward of the F-Zero series' main gameplay loop well, so we're keeping that. Oh, and his design is based on F-Zero X.

The sequel to Super Smash Bros. has a lot to live up to, and that's why I'm making the executive decision to extend development in such a way that this game releases in 2002 instead. It might seem like an odd choice, but this allows some characters to be better-represented than ever before, as well as the inclusion of other characters who otherwise might not have gotten the spotlight.

RETURNEES
#01: Mario is once again a sort of fusion between his various looks, though I would include the F.L.U.D.D. in his toolkit. I wouldn't roll up his sleeves, though.
#02: Link is again based on his Ocarina of Time design, but now acts as more of a composite of "Link" across the Zelda franchise, now using items and weapons from across the series - including games like A Link to the Past. Otherwise, no real notes - I just don't want him to feel like an archetypical swordfighter when his whole deal should really be his use of interesting or unusual items.
#03: Kirby is pretty much unchanged! Whilst I'd give him some additional moves in keeping with Melee's wider moveset, I'd keep to the similar sort of vibe I've suggested elsewhere. Maybe I'd pull a little from newer games in the franchise, though.
#04: Pikachu is once again pretty much unchanged - continuing to be based on his anime appearance almost completely. That said, I'd have a mechanic where he's followed by a Trainer in the background layer, which would be carried over to a lot of Pokémon in the future. Pikachu's Trainer would be Ash.
#05: Donkey Kong continues to be based primarily on the Donkey Kong Country franchise, though now takes minor elements from Donkey Kong 64. That said, I wouldn't give him a projectile - neither a barrel or the infamous coconut gun.
#06: Samus is redesign to feature her Metroid Prime look, specifically the Power Suit as opposed to the Varia Suit (so as to represent the older series as well as the newer game.) That said, her main mechanical change is that she can now choose to activate Ice Beam, which imbues many of her plasmatic attacks with ice-based properties, allowing particularly powerful ones to freeze opponents at higher percentages. Otherwise, she maintains the mobile nature seen throughout the Metroid series.
#07: Marth is a bit of an odd beast in this series in that he's fundamentally a lot different to his typical self, but in this game, I'd have his normals focus more on his swordplay - with a few of his specials in the real-world Smash series featuring in other positions - whilst he summons Shadow Dragon characters for his special moves specifically.
#08: Fox remains pretty much the same, though he now features his Adventures design. That said, one or two of his normals would now feature his staff from that game - though this doesn't need to be a permenant change or anything, just a recency bias sort of matter.
#09: Bowser remains pretty much the same as well, with his character now being moreso inspired by his Sunshine appearance. I'd also like to note that he has access to a more traditional fireball akin to many of his boss battles as opposed to just the flamethrower (which is given to Charizard instead.)
#10: Paula remains in place as well, though I'd like to feature the frying pan in one or two of her normals. I considered having her feature a mechanic where she can be joined by party members from EarthBound when performing certain attacks, but felt it'd detract from her unique appeal.
#11: Charizard remains almost identical, with just some basic new additions and revamps to keep him up to date with the rest of the cast. Akin to Pikachu, his personality is mainly inspired by that of the anime - though his actual moveset is inspired at least in part by the games. Also, like I mentioned with Pikachu, Charizard now gets a dedicated Trainer running around in the background layer with him - this time, Red.
#12: Captain Falcon is now based on his F-Zero GX design, and I'm cranking his personality up to eleven - especially in relation to his tokusatsu inspirations. I want him to feel almost like Kamen Rider or a Tatsunoko hero - but with his own unique twist. That'd be his whole thing going forward, coupled with maintaining his high-risk, high-reward playstyle.

NEWCOMERS
#13: Luigi was an obvious candidate to bring in, and bringing him in in Melee allows me to inspire him a little more from his more defined personality in spin-offs like Luigi's Mansion as well as the sports titles. Overall, I'd see his moveset as homaging to Mario's, but being different in a lot of places and ways - and not just falling into the trap of being "weird". Also, Luigi gets a tether grab using the Poltergust.
#14: Peach was another obvious Super Mario series newcomer who is predominantly inspired by her appearances in Super Mario Bros. USA and Super Mario RPG, with her personality being predominantly inspired by that seen in the spinoff sports titles given it's more than just "Thank you, Mario!".
#15: Yoshi finally makes his appearance as a representative of the self-titled Yoshi franchise, though I'd say his moveset is pretty decent as is and I'm not giving him Baby Mario or anything like that.
#16: Wario actually makes a lot of sense to me in this kind of context, though his moveset is predominantly based on the Wario Land series given the timeframe. For this, I'm going all out - Wario is able to use all kinds of items from the franchise up until this point in his moveset, we're not just talking a shoulder bash. That said, he wouldn't just instantly switch power-ups - I'd like him to physically pull out and switch his hats, for instance.
#17: Zelda is an obvious candidate for a newcomer in the series named after her, though in this case, she isn't tied to Sheik though her design is based on her Ocarina of Time appearance. That said, whilst I would include her magical abilities, I'd base them more on the concept of "light" as opposed to pulling from the different spells Link uses in that game, befitting of her nature as a Sage. I'd also do something a little unorthodox, and give her a rapier for her normals.
#18: Ganondorf is also based on his Ocarina of Time appearance, though also loosely brings in elements from his Wind Waker appearance. He doesn't fight with a sword - nor is he a "dark mage" - rather, he uses a combination of elements seen throughout the series, and uniquely fights wielding a trident in reference to his older appearances as well as Phantom Ganon. I think it'd give him a fantastically unique moveset overall.
#19: King Dedede is a fairly obvious inclusion who I'd mainly base on his appearance in Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards as well as his boss fights from throughout the series. He's pretty unique in that he's turned up a lot across the Kirby series, plus he's handled pretty well in the real-world Smash series, so I'd go with that kind of vibe.
#20: Mewtwo represents legendaries as well as the still in-recent-memory Pokémon: The First Movie, so I'd argue his inclusion is warranted. Unlike Pikachu and Charizard, he wouldn't have a Trainer running around after him. Also, I'd like his moveset to focus more prominently on his psychic abilities by giving him a couple of pretty weird hitboxes and moves in general... and maybe pull very slight inspiration from Freiza.
#21: Marill is our Gen II rep, and I think it's warranted - a Water-type is new to the roster, Marill appeared fairly prominently in the anime, and the unique body type we have to work with allows for a pretty unique vibe overall, as well as not stepping on the toes of purely representing starters - allowing for more unique takes later down the line. It'd also have a Trainer running around after it, this time being Kris.
#22: Wolf, contrary to what you might expect, is pretty much completely decloned from Fox and only has callbacks to some of his moves (akin to how Luigi shares basic conceptual similarities to Mario but with fundamental changes.) His moveset rewards more offensive and in-your-face play, giving him a significantly more aggressive playstyle overall.
#23: Lip is another newcomer to the series, but given I was cutting Dr. Mario from the off, I wanted a puzzle game rep of some description - and she immediately sprung to mind as a fun inclusion on that front. Her magic would be centred around Lip's Stick, giving her a flowery vibe whilst also having a few of her moves call back to Panel de Pon's actual gameplay.
#24: Sukapon is our de-facto retro rep, replacing both the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch (the latter of whom I'd personally introduce much later down the line in Sm4sh, probably.) Representing a new genre in fighting games, as well as being a hugely requested character in the classic Smash 2 poll, I think he's a natural fit for a game like this. Plus, in situations where his own moveset is too limited, we can pull from other Joy Mech Fight characters too.
#25: Olimar sort of replaces Roy as the de-facto "new game" rep, but I think Pikmin is logical to represent at this time - in close competition with Animal Crossing, but I digress. Olimar's moveset actually seems fine enough in the real-world Smash series, though I'd limit his Pikmin to three instead of five from the off here. It also kind of makes more sense to do that here anyway.

Whilst I'd like to continue this going forward, I'm going to take a similar mindset to Sakurai when developing the real-world Brawl and imagine this as the last game in the series. (I'll go on to Sm4sh at some point, but I haven't done that yet.) That being said, I want franchises to feel more rounded out - as well as new franchises to get introduced here and there to give us a better representation of Nintendo as a whole. That said... let's get into it!

RETURNEES
#01: Mario now has various moves from New Super Mario Bros. as well as the spin attack from Galaxy as a neutral air, with his moveset being generally modernised for the most part and slightly homogenized into a more singular format.
#02: Link has been redesigned to resemble his Twilight Princess appearance, with some of his items being changed and updated to reflect the new game.
#03: Kirby remains pretty similar, just with some more new Copy Abilities in his normals and obviously more Inhale abilities due to a larger roster.
#04: Pikachu again remains pretty similar, keeping Ash as his Trainer.
#05: Donkey Kong actually doesn't get many changes, he's pretty good as is. However, his representation is now a bit more varied, still with a primary focus on the Country series but now also featuring some classic and more modern stuff.
#06: Samus is now based on her appearance in Prime 2, as well as now being in the Varia Suit by default as opposed to the Power Suit.
#07: Marth actually doesn't need any changes yet either. I think he's good as is.
#08: Fox gets a redesign based on Assault, but otherwise he's pretty similar overall. No more staff moves, though.
#09: Bowser is made slightly bigger this time around compared to the rest of the cast - not Iron Giant in MultiVersus levels of big, but I'd like Brawl to play with some of the Smash series' unwritten conventions, one of which is scale.
#10: Paula actually doesn't get any additions, though I'd choose to put less focus on the frying pan in her normals and keep it for like, just her forward smash.
#11: Charizard is also similar, though now gets a glide, and keeps Red as his Trainer.
#12: Captain Falcon is now based on his look in F-Zero Climax, but otherwise maintains a similar vibe, keeping the tokusatsu inspiration.

#13: Luigi is further differentiated from Mario, though I'd continue to keep the thematic similarities of him being "the same, but different" in some places.
#14: Peach gets a couple of new changes - namely, her parasol is replaced with Perry the Parasol from Super Princess Peach, and her Toad Counter is replaced with Toadsworth (partially because it makes way more sense for him specifically to be protecting her.)
#15: Yoshi
#16: Wario undergoes a seismic shift in design reflecting the WarioWare series, with his moveset fundamentally changing to reflect this series better. I've sort of alluded to characters undergoing moveset changes from game to game before now, but this is probably the biggest so far... even if I think it's justified.
#17: Zelda is updated to her Twilight Princess design, keeping the rapier as part of her kit but also getting the Bow of Light as a Final Smash. She also now has a unique effect where her smash attacks "imbue" her rapier with light energy, but it's mainly just a visual thing that gives her smash attacks multi-hitting properties.
#18: Ganondorf is also updated to his Twilight Princess design, though his trident from the past game is now replaced with the Sword of the Six Sages for many of his close-up attacks. To parallel Zelda, he's also got a mechanic where he imbues dark energy into the sword when performing smash attacks, though this gives them slightly more range and power as opposed to a multi-hit effect.
#19: King Dedede is pretty much the same! I actually wouldn't add too much to him, maybe aside from a couple of moves pulled from some of his newer appearances.
#20: Mewtwo returns! That said, I'd probably keep the smoother look akin to what we saw in the real-world Sm4sh.
#21: Marill? Okay, this one was a tough, but necessary, call. When thinking up new Pokémon reps for the third and fourth generations, Gen IV felt best-represented by Piplup given their prominence in the marketing and existence as a starter. The problem? Piplup is a small-ish water type. Now, Marill by Gen VI also gets the Fairy typing, but my thought process here is that this works like a Young Link/Toon Link situation - Marill is functionally replaced with a somewhat different character, but could come back in future games as a unique fighter.
#22: Wolf is also based on his Assault appearance, though in this game, I'd switch him up a little to be a pretty mobile heavyweight - heavy-hitting and a nightmare to go up against with floatier characters, but slightly lacking in recovery potential because of his fast-falling and being easy to get into combos.
#23: Lip returns again, though I'd now change her design just a little to indicate an "evolution" of her own character - maybe making her look just a couple of years older. Other characters in Panel de Pon have a slightly older physique (given I think Lip's about 10), so it'd be a good way to evolve her design a little.
#24: Sukapon also remains pretty similar. I considered having him have the ability to use different segments from other opponents in Joy Mech Fight, but I don't think that'd work very well - so rather, I'm suggesting he'd just use some moves from other characters in that game to give him a more rounded moveset.
#25: Olimar remains similar too, though I'd now add Purple to his list of Pikmin as opposed to just Red, Blue and Yellow.

NEWCOMERS
#26: Toad is our newcomer from the Super Mario series, coming out from under Peach's dress to fight as part of the roster. I imagine for the most part his design is based very loosely on his various playable appearances, with a fast ground speed and generally powerful attacks whilst being pretty small - but also predominantly fighting with items from across the Super Mario series given the history of Toad Houses and the like. Hell, if we would be able to, it'd be good to include the Propeller Mushroom as an up special.
#27: Impa is unique as a newcomer in that her design is pretty much original to Smash. Akin to how real-world Brawl used concept art for a Sheik design in Twilight Princess to design his appearance in the game, a similar design would be devised for Impa, with her moveset being inspired by the Sheikah in general as well as various concepts and tropes related to ninja in media.
#28: Meta Knight actually got handled pretty well in terms of basic design in Brawl, and whilst I'd obviously balance him a little, I quite like that many of his aerial tools leave him actionable (which would actually be a more general change across the board in my case.) That said, to offset this, he's a lightweight - so if you do manage to hit him, it has a nasty effect.
#29: Deoxys is my first Pokémon newcomer, and I think this was a foregone conclusion. A Gen III rep felt like a big, gaping hole in the real-world Smash series' representation, and whilst there's a lot of interesting picks that'd work in this case like Gardevoir, Blaziken, Sceptile and so forth - but Deoxys is another Legendary and has a lot of potential with a mechanic where certain moves switch it between its Attack, Defense and Speed forms to give it different properties.
#30: Piplup is our Gen IV rep, and a practical replacement for the (as of now) still Water-type Marill. Given Piplup's nature as a starter and a prominent Pokémon in the anime, I think it makes sense to include here - plus, based on a penguin, there's other potential for its moveset too.
#31: Donkey Kong Jr. is our first newcomer from the Donkey Kong series, chosen perhaps controversially over Diddy because I'd quite like to represent "classic DK" in a character - this making Junior a sort of composite of the different arcade titles. He's also appeared in games like Super Mario Kart and Mario Tennis, so it's not like he's been completely forgotten over the years. In terms of moveset, he's a little smaller than DK as you'd expect, but his moveset is a bit more technical, featuring plenty of trapping tools and the like.
#32: Dark Samus is our first new Metroid character, probably another controversial choice considering it's here opposed to Ridley, but I think it's justified given Dark Samus is a prominent, well-recieved antagonist from one of Nintendo's more well-renouned franchises - and has more than enough potential to have an incredibly unique moveset overall. Plus, I like the idea of including more villains anyway, so it's pretty obvious in my mind to go with it as opposed to ZSS.
#33: Lyn is a newcomer from the Fire Emblem series, who - unlike Marth - doesn't have the summoning mechanic, instead being based more on the combat animations and the like seen in the franchise. Picking her over Ike was a difficult decision to make, but I felt her importance being from a game so vital to the history of the franchise in the west makes sense - and her being a more lightweight, fast-paced swordfighter and bow-wielder would make her unique compared to almost anyone else.
#34: Slippy is another newcomer from the Star Fox series, based on his Assault design here. In terms of moveset, I imagine him as your very tech-focused zoner-trapper - he'd use technology to his advantage and plays very differently to both Fox and Wolf. As for why Slippy over Falco or Krystal, I think Falco would run the risk of being too similar to the Fox/Wolf dynamic, and Krystal isn't really from a well-recieved game in the first place.
#35: Ness is a perhaps surprising decision, being our second MOTHER character. Whilst his moveset does feature some PSI attacks, it's predominantly made up of the normal weapons seen in EarthBound that he can equip - specifically the Bat, the Yo-Yo and the Slingshot. I want him to feel like he represents the character and quirkyness of the series whilst Paula represents its more esoteric aspects.
#36: Pit actually doesn't need many changes! I like the decision to recontextualise him as though the Kid Icarus franchise had continued onward to the game's release, and his segmented bow is a really unique weapon concept.
#37: Sami is a newcomer from the Wars franchise, a long-running strategy series most prominent in the west through Advance Wars. In terms of moveset, I imagine she'd have elements of CQC and some explosives in her toolkit, akin to real-world Snake - though she'd also be able to call in reinforcements with different effects, loosely based on Marth's ability to do something similar. I think she's more than warranted in a game like this, and representing a new long-running series is also a great call in this roster.
#38: Yuka is a newcomer from the Rhythm Heaven franchise, chosen due to her prominence on the boxart for Rhythm Tengoku though her actual moveset would feature a variety of characters and objects from the different minigames there. Her main "gimmick" is that many of her attacks use a rhythm mechanic in that they're powered up when you perform the inputs indicated to you - so, for instance, her smash attacks may work a little like the hammer swings in the Paper Mario series.
#39: Sonic is our first third-party newcomer - and our only one. In terms of his inclusion, this is in a hypothetical world where SEGA played ball from the very beginning, allowing us to represent him in a more effective manner without as many restraints. As for his moveset, it's mostly based on the Advance series, the Rush series, Battle, elements from the Adventure games (as well as Heroes) and one or two callbacks to '06. I want him to feel like "modern" Sonic in his 2D form, and maintain a fast and fluid moveset that'd reward speed and constant pressure.

I might cover Sm4sh in the future at some point, but for the time being, I'll leave it here. Rest assured that in this universe, things keep going forward - though I think that from this point forward, some of the changes I've made would drastically affect the trajectory of things. Perhaps the Fire Emblem series got localised earlier, or the Tetris Attack series became a long-running Nintendo puzzle series or something of the like? Either way, I think this is fun. Lemme know your thoughts!
I like these rosters, and it’s cool to see some underappreciated picks like Piplup, Maril, Sukapon, Dk. Jr, and Yuka on this roster, and I’d probably be maining Paula if these were the rosters. I’m also curious what a Twilight Princess Impa would have looked like.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I like these rosters, and it’s cool to see some underappreciated picks like Piplup, Maril, Sukapon, Dk. Jr, and Yuka on this roster, and I’d probably be maining Paula if these were the rosters. I’m also curious what a Twilight Princess Impa would have looked like.
Hell yeah, glad you like it! In terms of a TP Impa, as much as I would love to have her in some kind of "ninja cowboy" design befitting of the appearance of Kakariko Village in that game, it'd be similar to how Sheik appears in Brawl but as an adaptation of Impa's Ocarina of Time design. With that in mind, she'd fight mainly with a knife as well as kunai, and some additional bits and bobs like a smokescreen teleport using a Deku Nut in reference to Sheik's use of them.

FazDude

Smash Master
Alright, might as well give this a fair shot - I'm probably gonna do one game at a time for now, so let's get started with Smash 64!

My aim here was to make a roster with as much worldwide appeal as possible - So no region exclusives like Marth or "weird" picks like Jigglypuff (unfortunately). These are just measures I'd take to make sure the game took off - Expect more weirdness in later rosters!

Honestly, I don't think I need to explain most of the picks here, so I'm going to focus on the newcomers who aren't in the real-world Smash 64:
  • Bowser and Ganondorf were chosen mainly to serve as villain picks. Ganondorf would be a Falcon clone in here too, but much less so than his real-world Melee incarnation.
  • You could argue Meowth serves as a villain rep too thanks to the anime - I didn't pick him based on that criteria, but the anime certainly helped his popularity, so in he goes. He also serves as this roster's "weird" pick, but that's mainly just in the sense of "not a mascot for the series, but still popular" rather than a really out-there character.
As for the cuts...
  • I already explained Jigglypuff.
  • Luigi and Yoshi are cuts I'm not too happy about, but I think having 1/3s of the roster be Mario reps (Mario, DK, and Bowser) was enough, especially for the franchise's first installment. They will appear in Melee, however!

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Okay so I’m gonna do a more relatively reasonable series of rosters, but there’s gonna be a big change I’m sure you’ll notice pretty quickly. Aside from having the characters I wish it had anyway
Luigi
Mario​
Donkey Kong​
Link​
Samus​
Captain Falcon
Ness
Yoshi​
Kirby​
Fox​
Pikachu​
Meowth
Mario​
Luigi
Peach​
Bowser​
Donkey Kong​
Link​
Zelda / Sheik​
Ganondorf
Samus​
Yoshi​
Kirby​
Fox​
Falco
Pikachu​
Meowth
Mewtwo
Ness​
Captain Falcon​
Ice Climbers​
Marth
Mr. Game & Watch
Mario​
Donkey Kong​
Link​
Samus / Zero Suit Samus​
Kirby​
Fox​
Pikachu​
Marth
Captain Falcon
Luigi
Diddy Kong​
Zelda / Sheik​
Pit​
Meta Knight​
Falco
Pokémon Trainer*​
Ike​
Mr. Game & Watch
Peach​
Yoshi​
Ganondorf
Ice Climbers​
King Dedede​
Wolf
Meowth
Ness
Snake​
Bowser​
Wario​
Tetra
R.O.B.
Olimar​
Mewtwo
Lucario
Lucas​
Sonic
*Totodile, Grovyle and Charizard
Mario​
Luigi​
Peach​
Bowser​
Bowser Jr.​
Paper Mario​
Rosalina & Luma​
Yoshi​
Wario​
Donkey Kong​
Diddy Kong​
Link​
Zelda​
Sheik​
Ganondorf​
Tetra​
Ghirahim​
Samus​
Zero Suit Samus​
Kirby​
Meta Knight​
King Dedede​
Fox​
Falco​
Pikachu​
Meowth​
Lucario​
Greninja​
Ness​
Captain Falcon​
Marth​
Ike​
Robin​
Mr. Game & Watch​
Pit​
Palutena​
Olimar / Alph​
Isabelle​
Wii Fit Trainer​
Little Mac​
Shulk​
Duck Hunt​
Takamaru​
Dixie Kong​
Lucina​
Dark Pit​
Sonic​
Mega Man​
PAC-MAN​
Mii Fighters*​
*Brawler, Swordfighter, Gunner
Mewtwo​
Rayman​
Ryu​
Lucas​
Cloud​
Azura​
Bayonetta​
Inkling​
64MeleeBrawlSm4shUltimate
  • 1. Mario
  • 2. Donkey Kong
  • 3. Link
  • 4. Samus
    • 4ε. Dark Samus
  • 5. Yoshi
  • 6. Kirby
  • 7. Fox
  • 8. Pikachu
  • 9. Luigi
  • 10. Ness
  • 11. Captain Falcon
  • 12. Meowth
  • 13. Peach
    • 13ε. Daisy
  • 14. Bowser
  • 15. Ice Climbers
  • 16. Sheik
    • 16ε. Yiga
  • 17. Zelda
  • 18. Falco
  • 19. Marth
  • 20. Ganondorf
  • 21. Mewtwo
  • 22. Mr. Game & Watch
  • 23. Meta Knight
  • 24. Pit
    • 24ε. Dark Pit
  • 25. Zero Suit Samus
  • 26. Wario
  • 27. Snake
  • 28. Ike
  • 29-31. Pokémon Trainer
    • Totodile
    • Grovyle
    • Charizard
  • 32. Diddy Kong
    • 32ε. Dixie Kong
  • 33. Lucas
  • 34. Sonic
  • 35. King Dedede
  • 36. Olimar
    • 36ε. Alph
  • 37. Lucario
  • 38. R.O.B.
  • 39. Tetra
  • 40. Wolf
  • 41. Isabelle
  • 42. Mega Man
  • 43. Wii Fit Trainer
  • 44. Rosalina & Luma
  • 45. Paper Mario
  • 46. Little Mac
    • 46ε. Glass Joe
  • 47. Ghirahim
  • 48. Greninja
  • 49-51. Mii Fighters (Brawler, Swordfighter, Gunner)
  • 52. Palutena
  • 53. PAC-MAN
  • 54. Robin
  • 55. Shulk
  • 56. Bowser Jr.
  • 57. Duck Hunt
  • 58. Takamaru
  • 59. Rayman
  • 60. Ryu
    • 60ε. Ken
  • 61. Cloud
  • 62. Elma
  • 63. Bayonetta
    • 63ε. Jeanne
  • 64. Inkling
  • 65. Simon
    • 65ε. Richter
  • 66. Ridley
  • 67. King K. Rool
  • 68. Azura
  • 69. Incineroar
  • 70. Bandana Waddle Dee
  • 71-72. Pyra / Mythra
  • 73. Revali
  • 74. Min Min
  • 75. Banjo & Kazooie
Vol. 1Vol. 2
  • 76. Joker
  • 77. Hero
  • 78. Crash Bandicoot
  • 79. Estelle Bright
  • 80-82. Team NEO GEO
    • Terry Bogard
    • Iori Yagami
    • Nakoruru
  • 83. Steve
  • 84. Chun-Li
  • 85. Dr. Eggman
  • 86. Sephiroth
  • 87. Byleth
  • 88. Shantae
  • 89. Kazuya Mishima
  • 90. Sora

Last edited:

Horatio786

Smash Rookie
I've been thinking about doing this sort of thing for years. I may as well start with Smash 64.

Starters
  • Mario
  • Donkey Kong
  • Link
  • Samus Aran
  • Yoshi
  • Kirby
  • Fox McCloud
  • Pikachu
Unlockables
  • Luigi (Complete 1P Game with any character)
  • Captain Falcon (Complete 1P Game in 20 MInutes)
  • Wario (Complete Bonus 1: Break the Targets with all starter characters) (Chosen due to success of Wario Land games, being by far the most successful franchise not in Smash 64)
  • Ness (Complete 1P Game on Normal with 3 lives or less and no continues)
Honorable Mentions
  • Marth (Fire Emblem barely missed the cut for getting a character)
  • Ryota Hayami (I could not think of a moveset for this guy. At least Captain Falcon could have his Kamen Rider inspired moveset.)
  • Second Pokémon Rep (Pokémon was only one game at the time development started. Also, it would be hard to choose between Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Meowth, Poliwhirl, Psyduck, or something else)
  • Villains (Considered as unlockables before development snags would require the unlockable characters to share skeletons with current characters. Villains chosen would have been Bowser, Ganon (ALTTP Design, as Ocarina was still being worked on), King Dedede, and Mewtwo)

EDIT: It's been a week, so time for Melee.

Starters
  • Mario
  • Pikachu
  • Princess Peach
  • Bowser
  • Yoshi
  • Wario
  • Donkey Kong
  • Diddy Kong
  • Link
  • Princess Zelda
  • Samus Aran
  • Pit (Chosen to honor the late Gunpei Yokoi, same with Mr. Game & Watch)
  • Kirby
  • Ness
  • Fox McCloud
  • Captain Falcon
Unlockables
  • Luigi (Complete Stage #1 of Adventure Mode with the time ending in a ":X2" in the second's slot, then defeat Luigi and Peach in less than a minute and clear the rest of the mode.)
  • King Dedede (Clear 100-Man Melee)
  • Charizard (Complete Classic Mode or Adventure Mode with any character)
  • Mewtwo (Play VS. mode for a combined total of 4-20 hours)
  • Mr. Game & Watch (Complete Classic Mode, Adventure Mode, or Target Test with all other characters)
  • Marth (Unlock and complete a certain Event Match)
Honorable Mentions
  • Ryota Hayami (Same Reason as Smash 64)
  • Alternate Third Pokémon Rep (The choice was between Charizard, Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Marill, Meowth, Poliwhirl, Psyduck, Snubbull, or Togepi)
  • Ganondorf or Ganon (Next in line)
  • Dixie Kong or King K. Rool (Next in line after Ganon)
  • Alternate Yokoi character (Ayumi Tachibana, Duck Hunt, Lip, R.O.B.)
  • Clone Characters (Dr. Mario, Donkey Kong Jr., Young Link, Falco, Pichu, and Roy would have been added in exchange for Diddy Kong, Pit, and Charizard not being added)

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Alright, time for yet another roster from me!
Luigi
Mario​
Donkey Kong​
Link​
Samus​
Captain Falcon
Ness
Yoshi​
Kirby​
Fox​
Pikachu​
Meowth
Mario​
Luigi
Bowser​
Peach​
Yoshi​
Wario
Donkey Kong​
Diddy Kong
Link​
Zelda / Sheik​
Ganondorf
Samus​
Kirby​
Fox​
Falco
Pikachu​
Meowth
Mewtwo
Scizor​
Ness​
Captain Falcon​
Ice Climbers​
Ayumi Tachibana
Marth
Celica
Bubbles
Mach Rider
Mr. Game & Watch
Mario​
Donkey Kong​
Link​
Samus / Zero Suit Samus​
Kirby​
Fox​
Pikachu​
Marth
Captain Falcon
Isaac
Luigi
Diddy Kong​
Zelda / Sheik​
Pit​
King Dedede​
Falco
Charizard​
Ike​
Bubbles
DeMille
Peach​
Yoshi​
Ganondorf
Ice Climbers​
Meta Knight​
Wolf
Mewtwo
Ness
Mach Rider
Snake​
Bowser​
Wario​
Tetra
R.O.B.
Olimar​
Lucario
Meowth
Lucas​
Mr. Game & Watch
Sonic
Mario​
Luigi​
Bowser​
Peach​
Rosalina & Luma​
Bowser Jr.
Yoshi​
Wario
Donkey Kong​
Diddy Kong​
Link​
Zelda​
Sheik​
Ganondorf
Samus​
Zero Suit Samus​
Kirby​
King Dedede​
Meta Knight​
Fox​
Falco
Pikachu​
Charizard​
Meowth
Scizor
Lucario​
Greninja​
Ness
Captain Falcon​
Marth​
Ike​
Robin​
Mr. Game & Watch
Pit​
Palutena​
Olimar​
Isaac
DeMille
Villager​
Little Mac​
Shulk​
Duck Hunt
Takamaru
RANDOM​
Dixie Kong
Mach Rider
Dark Pit
Sonic​
Mega Man​
PAC-MAN​
Mii Fighters (Brawler, Swordfighter, Gunner)​
Extra Fighters
--->​
Mario​
Luigi​
Bowser​
Peach​
Rosalina & Luma​
Bowser Jr.
Yoshi​
Wario
Donkey Kong​
Diddy Kong​
Link​
Zelda​
Sheik​
Ganondorf
Tetra​
Samus​
Zero Suit Samus​
Kirby​
King Dedede​
Meta Knight​
Fox​
Falco
Pikachu​
Charizard​
Meowth
Scizor
Lucario​
Greninja​
Ness
Captain Falcon​
Ice Climbers
Marth​
Ike​
Robin​
Pit​
Palutena​
Olimar​
Villager​
Wii Fit Trainer​
Little Mac​
Shulk​
Duck Hunt
Takamaru
Dixie Kong
Mach Rider
Alph
Sonic​
Mega Man​
PAC-MAN​
Mewtwo​
Rayman​
Ryu​
Lucas​
Cloud​
Azura​
Bayonetta​
Inkling​
64MeleeBrawlfor 3DS / Wii UUltimate
  • 1. Mario
  • 2. Donkey Kong
  • 3. Link
  • 4. Samus
    • 4ε. Dark Samus
  • 5. Yoshi
  • 6. Kirby
    • 6ε. Bubbles
  • 7. Fox
  • 8. Pikachu
  • 9. Luigi
  • 10. Ness
  • 11. Captain Falcon
    • 11ε. Mach Rider
  • 12. Meowth
  • 13. Peach
    • 13ε. Daisy
  • 14. Bowser
  • 15. Ice Climbers
  • 16. Zelda
  • 17. Sheik
  • 18. Scizor
  • 19. Wario
  • 20. Diddy Kong
    • 20ε. Dixie Kong
  • 21. Ganondorf
  • 22. Falco
  • 23. Mewtwo
  • 24. Ayumi
  • 25. Marth
    • 25ε. Celica
  • 26. Mr. Game & Watch
  • 27. Meta Knight
  • 28. Pit
    • 28ε. Dark Pit
  • 29. Zero Suit Samus
  • 30. King Dedede
  • 31. Snake
  • 32. Ike
  • 33. Charizard
  • 34. Lucas
  • 35. Sonic
  • 36. Olimar
    • 36ε. Alph
  • 37. Tetra
  • 38. Wolf
  • 39. Lucario
  • 40. Isaac
  • 41. DeMille
  • 42. R.O.B.
  • 43. Villager
  • 44. Mega Man
  • 45. Wii Fit Trainer
  • 46. Rosalina & Luma
  • 47. Little Mac
  • 48. Greninja
  • 49-51. Mii Fighters
    • Brawler
    • Swordfighter
    • Gunner
  • 52. Palutena
  • 53. PAC-MAN
  • 54. Robin
  • 55. Shulk
  • 56. Bowser Jr.
  • 57. Duck Hunt
  • 58. Takamaru
  • 59. Rayman
  • 60. Ryu
    • 60ε. Ken
  • 61. Cloud
  • 62. Azura
  • 63. Bayonetta
  • 64. Inkling
  • 65. Simon
    • 65ε. Richter
  • 66. Ridley
  • 67. King K. Rool
  • 68. Revali
  • 69. Incineroar
  • 70. Waluigi
  • 71-72. Pyra / Mythra
  • 73. Bandana Waddle Dee
  • 74. Min Min
  • 75. Banjo & Kazooie
Vol. 1Vol. 2
  • 76. Joker
  • 77. Hero
  • 78. Crash Bandicoot
  • 79. Estelle Bright
  • Team NEO GEO
    • 80. Terry Bogard
    • 81. Iori Yagami
    • 82. Nakoruru
  • 83. Steve
  • 84. Chun-Li
  • 85. Dr. Eggman
  • 86. Sephiroth
  • 87. Ring Fit Trainee
  • 88. Shantae
  • 89. Kazuya Mishima
  • 90. Sora

Last edited:

TheLastMaverickHunter

Smash Journeyman
Alright, time for yet another roster from me!
Luigi
Mario​
Donkey Kong​
Link​
Samus​
Captain Falcon
Ness
Yoshi​
Kirby​
Fox​
Pikachu​
Meowth
Mario​
Luigi
Bowser​
Peach​
Yoshi​
Wario
Donkey Kong​
Diddy Kong
Link​
Zelda / Sheik​
Ganondorf
Samus​
Kirby​
Fox​
Falco
Pikachu​
Meowth
Mewtwo
Scizor​
Ness​
Captain Falcon​
Ice Climbers​
Ayumi Tachibana
Marth
Celica
Bubbles
Mach Rider
Mr. Game & Watch
Mario​
Donkey Kong​
Link​
Samus / Zero Suit Samus​
Kirby​
Fox​
Pikachu​
Marth
Captain Falcon
Isaac
Luigi
Diddy Kong​
Zelda / Sheik​
Pit​
King Dedede​
Falco
Charizard​
Ike​
Bubbles
DeMille
Peach​
Yoshi​
Ganondorf
Ice Climbers​
Meta Knight​
Wolf
Mewtwo
Ness
Mach Rider
Snake​
Bowser​
Wario​
Tetra
R.O.B.
Olimar​
Lucario
Meowth
Lucas​
Mr. Game & Watch
Sonic
Mario​
Luigi​
Bowser​
Peach​
Rosalina & Luma​
Bowser Jr.
Yoshi​
Wario
Donkey Kong​
Diddy Kong​
Link​
Zelda​
Sheik​
Ganondorf
Samus​
Zero Suit Samus​
Kirby​
King Dedede​
Meta Knight​
Fox​
Falco
Pikachu​
Charizard​
Meowth
Scizor
Lucario​
Greninja​
Ness
Captain Falcon​
Marth​
Ike​
Robin​
Mr. Game & Watch
Pit​
Palutena​
Olimar​
Isaac
DeMille
Villager​
Little Mac​
Shulk​
Duck Hunt
Takamaru
RANDOM​
Dixie Kong
Mach Rider
Dark Pit
Sonic​
Mega Man​
PAC-MAN​
Extra Fighters
--->​
Mario​
Luigi​
Bowser​
Peach​
Rosalina & Luma​
Bowser Jr.
Yoshi​
Wario
Donkey Kong​
Diddy Kong​
Link​
Zelda​
Sheik​
Ganondorf
Tetra​
Samus​
Zero Suit Samus​
Kirby​
King Dedede​
Meta Knight​
Fox​
Falco
Pikachu​
Charizard​
Meowth
Scizor
Lucario​
Greninja​
Ness
Captain Falcon​
Ice Climbers
Marth​
Ike​
Robin​
Pit​
Palutena​
Olimar​
Villager​
Wii Fit Trainer​
Little Mac​
Shulk​
Duck Hunt
Takamaru
Dixie Kong
Mach Rider
Alph
Sonic​
Mega Man​
PAC-MAN​
Mewtwo​
Rayman​
Ryu​
Lucas​
Cloud​
Azura​
Bayonetta​
Inkling​
64MeleeBrawlfor 3DS / Wii UUltimate
  • 1. Mario
  • 2. Donkey Kong
  • 3. Link
  • 4. Samus
    • 4ε. Dark Samus
  • 5. Yoshi
  • 6. Kirby
    • 6ε. Bubbles
  • 7. Fox
  • 8. Pikachu
  • 9. Luigi
  • 10. Ness
  • 11. Captain Falcon
    • 11ε. Mach Rider
  • 12. Meowth
  • 13. Peach
    • 13ε. Daisy
  • 14. Bowser
  • 15. Ice Climbers
  • 16. Zelda
  • 17. Sheik
  • 18. Scizor
  • 19. Wario
  • 20. Diddy Kong
    • 20ε. Dixie Kong
  • 21. Ganondorf
  • 22. Falco
  • 23. Mewtwo
  • 24. Ayumi
  • 25. Marth
    • 25ε. Celica
  • 26. Mr. Game & Watch
  • 27. Meta Knight
  • 28. Pit
    • 28ε. Dark Pit
  • 29. Zero Suit Samus
  • 30. King Dedede
  • 31. Snake
  • 32. Ike
  • 33. Charizard
  • 34. Lucas
  • 35. Sonic
  • 36. Olimar
    • 36ε. Alph
  • 37. Tetra
  • 38. Wolf
  • 39. Lucario
  • 40. Isaac
  • 41. DeMille
  • 42. R.O.B.
  • 43. Villager
  • 44. Mega Man
  • 45. Wii Fit Trainer
  • 46. Rosalina & Luma
  • 47. Little Mac
  • 48. Greninja
  • 49-51. Mii Fighters
    • Brawler
    • Swordfighter
    • Gunner
  • 52. Palutena
  • 53. PAC-MAN
  • 54. Robin
  • 55. Shulk
  • 56. Bowser Jr.
  • 57. Duck Hunt
  • 58. Takamaru
  • 59. Rayman
  • 60. Ryu
    • 60ε. Ken
  • 61. Cloud
  • 62. Azura
  • 63. Bayonetta
  • 64. Inkling
  • 65. Simon
    • 65ε. Richter
  • 66. Ridley
  • 67. King K. Rool
  • 68. Revali
  • 69. Incineroar
  • 70. Waluigi
  • 71-72. Pyra / Mythra
  • 73. Bandana Waddle Dee
  • 74. Min Min
  • 75. Banjo & Kazooie
  • Vol. 1
    • Sakura Shinguji
    • Hero
    • Crash Bandicoot
    • Estelle Bright
    • Terry, Iori and Nakoruru
    • Steve
  • Vol. 2
    • Chun-Li
    • Dr. Eggman
    • Sephiroth
    • Ring Fit Trainee
    • Shantae
    • Kazuya Mishima
    • Sora
How would Bubbles work as a Kirby clone? Just curious (your roster is great btw!)

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
1999 Super Smash Bros. would be a Mario spin-off game with Nintendo guests.

1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Peach
4. Toad
5. Yoshi
6. Donkey Kong
7. Wario
8. Bowser

9. Link
10. Samus
11. Captain Falcon
12. Kirby
13. Fox
14. Ness
15. Pikachu

2001 Super Smash Bros. Melee would add Nintendo characters and Rare characters (when Nintendo owned Rare) and Pokémon characters (at the height of 1990s Pokémania) and more than double the roster size. 15 veterans return.

16. / 17. Diddy & Dixie / Dixie & Diddy (when Nintendo owned Rare)
18. Zelda
19. Ganon
20. King Dedede
21. Meta Knight
22. Charizard (represents Red Version)
23. Blastoise (represents Blue Version)
24. Meowth (represents the anime)
25. Mewtwo (represents the movie)
26. Pit (for American fans)
27. Little Mac (for American fans)
28. Takamaru (for Japanese fans)
29. Marth (for Japanese fans)
30. Banjo & Kazooie (when Nintendo owned Rare)
31. Conker (when Nintendo owned Rare)
32. Fulgore (when Nintendo owned Rare)

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Don't you love changing your mind yet again? This time I'm going to pull from two versions of my fantasy roster.
  • Development begins in late 1996; releases exclusively for Japanese arcades in 1998 and on home consoles the world over in 1999
  • Italics bold denotes unlockable characters added to the arcade version, which would also release overseas alongside the N64 version
Mario​
Donkey Kong​
Link​
Samus​
Yoshi​
Kirby​
Fox​
Pikachu​
Luigi
Bowser
Marth
Mewtwo
King Dedede
Ness
Captain Falcon
Meowth
  • Development begins in July 1999; releases for arcades the world over in November 2001 and on home consoles in November 2002
  • Italics bold denotes unlockable newcomers added the the arcade version after the release of the GameCube version
  • * denotes characters who are available from the start in the arcade version but unlockable in the GameCube version
Luigi*
Mario​
Donkey Kong​
Link​
Samus​
Yoshi​
Wario
Diddy Kong
Kirby​
Fox​
Pikachu​
Ness​
Captain Falcon​
Ganondorf
King Dedede*
Bowser​
Peach​
Zelda / Sheik​
Scizor​
Ice Climbers​
Falco
Meowth*
Mewtwo*
Marth*
RANDOM​
Mach Rider
Ayumi
Mr. Game & Watch
  • Development begins in October 2005; releases for arcades in December 2007 and on home consoles in December 2008
  • Italics bold denotes unlockable characters added the the arcade version after the release of the Wii version
Mario​
Donkey Kong​
Link​
Samus / Zero Suit Samus​
Kirby​
Fox​
Pikachu​
Lucario
Olimar​
Captain Falcon
Luigi
Diddy Kong​
Zelda / Sheik​
Pit​
King Dedede​
Falco
Charizard​
Marth
Isaac
Snake​
Bowser​
Yoshi​
Ganondorf
Ice Climbers​
Meta Knight​
Wolf
Mewtwo
Lyn​
DeMille
Sonic
Peach​
Wario​
Tetra
Mr. Game & Watch
Ness
Lucas​
Meowth
Ike​
R.O.B.
RANDOM​
  • Development begins in March 2012; both the 3DS and Wii U versions release on December 5th, 2014
  • This is the only Super Smash Bros. game with no arcade version, due to being developed for two separate consoles
  • Characters grouped next to other characters with an epsilon symbol (ε.) are henceforth known as Echo Fighters
  • Italics bold denotes unlockable characters
Mario​
Paper Mario
Luigi​
Bowser​
Bowser Jr.
Peach​
Rosalina & Luma
Yoshi​
Wario
Donkey Kong​
Diddy Kong (ε. Dixie Kong)​
Link​
Zelda​
Sheik
Ganondorf​
Tetra
Ghirahim
Samus​
Zero Suit Samus
Kirby​
King Dedede​
Meta Knight​
Fox​
Falco
Pikachu​
Meowth​
Mewtwo​
Scizor
Lucario​
Zoroark
Greninja​
Marth​
Lyn
Ike​
Robin​
Ness​
Lucas
Captain Falcon (ε. Mach Rider)​
Mr. Game & Watch
Pit (ε. Dark Pit)​
Palutena​
Olimar (ε. Alph)​
Isaac
Villager​
Wii Fit Trainer​
Little Mac​
Shulk
Sonic​
Mega Man​
PAC-MAN
Mii Fighter​
RANDOM​

Duck Hunt (DLC)
Releases in April 2015​
Takamaru (DLC)
Releases in April 2015​
Rayman (DLC)
Releases in June 2015​
Ryu (DLC)
Releases in June 2015​
Cloud (DLC)
Releases in December 2015​
Azura (DLC)
Releases in December 2015​
Bayonetta (DLC)
Releases in February 2016​
Inkling (DLC)
Releases in February 2016​
  • Development begins in December 2015; releases for arcades in June 2018 and on home consoles on December 13th, 2019
  • Italics bold characters you can unlock in the Switch version
  • * denotes characters gradually added to the arcade version
64MeleeBrawlfor 3DS / Wii UNewcomers
  • 1. Mario
  • 2. Donkey Kong
  • 3. Link
  • 4. Samus
    • 4ε. Dark Samus*
  • 5. Yoshi
  • 6. Kirby
  • 7. Fox
  • 8. Pikachu
  • 9. Luigi
  • 10. Bowser
  • 11. Marth
  • 12. Mewtwo
  • 13. King Dedede
  • 14. Ness
  • 15. Captain Falcon
    • 15ε. Mach Rider
  • 16. Meowth
  • 17. Peach
    • 17ε. Daisy*
  • 18. Zelda
    • 18ε. Ayumi Tachibana
  • 19. Sheik
  • 20. Scizor
  • 21. Ice Climbers
  • 22. Wario
  • 23. Diddy Kong
    • 23ε. Dixie Kong
  • 24. Ganondorf
  • 25. Falco
  • 26. Mr. Game & Watch
  • 27. Lyn
  • 28. Pit
    • 28ε. Dark Pit
  • 29. Zero Suit Samus
  • 30. Olimar
    • 30ε. Alph
  • 31. Snake
  • 32. Ike
  • 33. Charizard
  • 34. Meta Knight
  • 35. Lucas
  • 36. Sonic
  • 37. Tetra
  • 38. Wolf
    • 38ε. Zoroark
  • 39. Lucario
  • 40. Isaac
  • 41. DeMille
  • 42. R.O.B.
  • 43. Villager
  • 44. Mega Man
  • 45. Wii Fit Trainer
  • 46. Rosalina & Luma
  • 47. Paper Mario
  • 48. Little Mac
    • 48ε. Glass Joe*
  • 49. Ghirahim
  • 50. Greninja
  • 51. Mii Fighter
  • 52. Palutena
  • 53. PAC-MAN
  • 54. Robin
  • 55. Shulk
  • 56. Bowser Jr.
  • 57. Duck Hunt
  • 58. Takamaru
  • 59. Rayman
  • 60. Ryu
    • 60ε. Ken*
  • 61. Cloud
  • 62. Azura
  • 63. Bayonetta
  • 64. Inkling
  • 65. Simon*
  • 66. Ridley*
  • 67. King K. Rool*
  • 68. Revali*
  • 69. Incineroar*
  • 70. Waluigi*
  • 71-72. Pyra / Mythra*
  • 73. Bandana Waddle Dee*
  • 74. Min Min*
  • 75. Banjo & Kazooie*

Fighters Pass Vol. 1Fighters Pass Vol. 2
  • 76. Joker (February 2020)
  • 77. Hero (April 2020)
  • 78. Crash Bandicoot (June 2020)
  • 79. Estelle Bright (July 2020)
  • Team NEO GEO (October 2020)
    • 80. Terry
    • 81. Iori
    • 82. Nakoruru
  • 83. Steve (December 2020)
  • 84. Byleth (February 2021)
  • 85. Dr. Eggman (April 2021)
  • 86. Sephiroth (June 2021)
  • 87. Ring Fit Trainee (August 2021)
  • 88. Toxtricity (September 2021)
  • 89. Kazuya Mishima (December 2021)
  • 90. Sora (March 2022)

Arcade / Switch version timeline
  • June 12, 2018
    • The game is revealed
    • The arcade version is launched
    • Playable E3 demo for the Switch version
  • August 3-5, 2018 (EVO 2018)
    • Simon is revealed on Day 1
    • Ridley and Dark Samus are revealed on Day 2
    • King K. Rool revealed on Day 3
    • All four newcomers are added to the arcade version on August 8, 2018
  • September 13, 2018
    • Revali is added to the arcade version
    • Incineroar is added to the arcade version
    • Ken is added to the arcade version
    • Glass Joe is added to the arcade version
  • December 6, 2018
    • Waluigi is revealed at the Game Awards 2018
    • Waluigi is added to the arcade version
    • Daisy is added to the arcade version
    • Global Testfire for the Switch version from 12/7/18-12/18/18
  • February 13, 2019
    • Pyra & Mythra are added to the arcade version
  • June 11, 2019
    • Bandana Waddle Dee is added to the arcade version
  • September 4, 2019
    • Min Min is added to the arcade version
  • December 13, 2019
    • Banjo & Kazooie are revealed at the Game Awards 2019, which takes place a day before the Switch version launches
    • The Switch version also makes the Fighters Pass, which contains six fighters spread out across 2020, available for purchase
      • People who purchase the Fighters Pass get a bonus Sans Mii costume
    • Banjo & Kazooie are added to the arcade version

Last edited:

TheLastMaverickHunter

Smash Journeyman
Taking another shot at this...

Original 12: :mario64::luigi64::dk64::link64::samus64::yoshi64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64::jigglypuff64::falcon64::ness64:

Melee
Veterans: :mariomelee::luigimelee::dkmelee::linkmelee::samusmelee::yoshimelee::kirbymelee::foxmelee::pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::falconmelee::nessmelee:
Newcomers: :peachmelee::bowsermelee::zeldamelee::ganondorfmelee::mewtwomelee::icsmelee::marthmelee::gawmelee:
Clones: :ultdaisy::younglinkmelee::falcomelee::pichumelee: Black Shadow :roymelee:

Brawl
Veterans::mario2::luigi2::peach::bowser2::dk2::link2::zelda::ganondorf::samus2::yoshi2::kirby2::fox::falco::pikachu2::jigglypuff::falcon:Black Shadow:ness2::popo::marth::gw:
Newcomers: :diddy::toonlink::ultdarksamus::metaknight::dedede::wolf::pt::lucario::lucas::ike::pit::warioc::olimar::rob::snake::sonic:

For
Veterans: :4mario::4luigi::4peach::ultdaisy::4bowser::4dk::4diddy::4link::4zelda::4ganondorf::4tlink::4samus::ultdarksamus::4yoshi::4kirby::4metaknight::4dedede::4fox::4falco::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo:(:4charizard:/:4lucario:) :4falcon:Black Shadow:4ness::4marth::4myfriends::4gaw::4pit::4wario2::4olimar::4rob::4sonic:
Newcomers: :rosalina:Dixie Kong:4greninja::4robinm::4palutena: Medusa :4villager::4wiifit::4littlemac::4shulk::4duckhunt::4miibrawl::4miisword::4miigun::4megaman::4pacman:
DLC: :4bowserjr::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu::4cloud:Skull Kid :4bayonetta:

Ultimate
Newcomers: :ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultkrool::ultisabelle: Bandana Dee
Echoes: :ultalph::ultken::ultrichter: (insert any two echoes)
DLC: Toad :ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbyleth::ultminmin:ultsteve::ultsephiroth::ultpyra::ultmythra::ultkazuya::ultsora:

It's not perfect and I took liberties here and there. Will prob change this at some point.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
:ultwario::ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultfalcon:
:ultness::ultluigi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::052:

:ultyoshi: -> :ultwario:
:ultjigglypuff: -> :052:

#01 - Mario
#02 - Donkey Kong
#03 - Link
#04 - Samus
#05 - Luigi
#06 - Kirby
#07 - Fox
#08 - Pikachu

#09 - Wario
#10 - Ness
#11 - Captain Falcon
#12 - Meowth

Didn't want to reinvent the wheel here, I believe Smash 64 had a good balance of mass appeal alongside surprises. Pokemon and the Marioverse see slight shifts in representation, but still remain as present on the roster as they were before.

Cuts: Yoshi and Jigglypuff

:ultyoshi: I understand that Yoshi's popularity and mascot appeal was massive when Smash 64 dropped. Personally, I like Yoshi in 64 and I think he fits quite well, but I want to opt for someone who was similarly relevant and popular at the time who also had their own Mario spinoff under their belt.

:ultjigglypuff: Jigglypuff is unfortunately the obvious loss. I for one am grateful that Jigglypuff has stuck around all this time, and I think the addition was a fun one and a particularly clever rework of Kirby's assets. But development time withstanding, there's another prominent Pokemon I like to imagine being a legacy mainstay who plays off the mascot in a fun way.

New: Wario and Meowth

:ultwario: Wario had pretty much every merit that Yoshi had. He's popular, he was everywhere, he co-starred in a successful mainline game before spawning several different spinoff series including a platformer and a puzzle game. Putting it into context, it almost feels like they could have coin-flipped on it and decided who would be the better fit that way. I think Yoshi's cute mascot appeal may have given him the edge, but with Kirby and Pikachu already on the roster I think we could use a character on the meaner, uglier side. Smash 64 had a notable lack of rival characters and that's what these new additions mend without going fully into the villain pool yet. Because I was initially going to add Bowser, but I really came around on Wario last second.

Wario's moveset is not unlike the one in Smash Remix. He has a cargo throw like DK and some of the strongest attacks in the game.

:052: To continue the rival trend, Pikachu receives the Tom to his Jerry. I'm often remiss about how Meowth missed the boat despite being in a great position to be added to either 64 or Melee. So in this scenario, despite his waning popularity over the years, Meowth remains a persistent legacy mainstay.

He is largely a rushdown character and one of the fastest (and lightest) characters in the game with quick claw slashes and a rapid close-range projectile in Pay Day (operating like his Pokeball summon). His combo ability is second to none at the expense of finding it somewhat difficult to kill. Meowth will be a bit more resource intensive than Jigglypuff was, but with Yoshi gone that development time can be dispersed between he and Wario.

OTHER NOTES:

Luigi is now a starter character, and Wario is unlockable. Don't see much reason to change the rest of the cast, so they remain as is.

:ultwario::ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultyoshi::ultdk:
:ultfox::ultness::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultsamus::ultzelda::ultlink:
:ultpikachu::052::ultmewtwo::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultgnw:

:ulticeclimbers: ->:ultkingdedede:
:ultdoc::ultfalco::ultpichu::ultganondorf::ultyounglink::ultroy: -> :ultyoshi:

#13 - Peach
#14 - Bowser
#15 - Yoshi
#16 - Sheik
#17 - Zelda
#18 - King Dedede
#19 - Marth
#20 - Mewtwo
#21 - Mr. Game & Watch

Everyone returns, and the roster is now 20 characters (21 including Sheik). Development time spent on clones was directed instead toward implementing a unique character. The Smash 2 poll went about the same as it did in real life, except Yoshi takes Wario's place and virtually ties with Peach for votes.

Cuts: Ice Climbers and All Clones

:ulticeclimbers: I really appreciate Sakurai's inventiveness to build the Ice Climbers and continue to pull strange unexpected characters from Nintendo's catalogue. With Marth and Mr. Game & Watch sticking around, I do believe that essence is at least still here. The Icies are great and offer a distinct new gameplay style, but were replaced with a character more popular on the Smash 2 polls who has a similar method of fighting.

:ultfalco: Pretty self explanatory, I just thought it would be more interesting to construct this alternate reality roster as if Sakurai opted to prioritize an original character over six new faces. This leaves Ganondorf as somewhat of a glaring omission, but he'll make it in eventually and will be able to reach his full potential. The rest are sacrificed in favor of one of Nintendo's most popular characters, and one of the leaders of the Smash 2 poll.

New: King Dedede and Yoshi

:ultkingdedede: One of several characters considered but ultimately scrapped for Smash 64, Dedede makes his debut in Melee after performing well on the Smash 2 poll. He wields a hammer, not unlike a pair of fighters who were excluded in his favor. I am definitely biased in favor of King Dedede, my favorite Smash character and very well probably my favorite Nintendo character, but I don't think anyone would bat an eye seeing him join this early.

Dedede's moveset is similar to what it would be in Brawl, but some normals (jab, f-tilt, dair mainly) are more standard hammer swings pulled from what would have been the Ice Climbers rather than his more hi-tech, stretchier / spinnier hammer from our universe. Perhaps he gets that adjustment later, but I don't imagine it was in the cards for him this early on. Side B is Waddle Dee Toss, and Down B is Hammer Flip. It operates like Roy's Neutral B, to lesser effect and with shorter charge.

:ultyoshi: It's Yoshi, just added in Melee instead of Smash 64. Not much to say about this one.

OTHER NOTES:

I went back and forth on whether or not to keep Sheik, but I did. Ganondorf would have made it otherwise, I just opted to have him added in Brawl. Due to the smaller roster size, Mewtwo and Mr. Game & Watch are no longer incomplete. All mechanics and gameplay modes are in tact from the original release.

Kirby's Hammer Flip is replaced with a new move to compensate for Dedede's addition. Fireball is his Side B and the Yoyo spin from Brawl is his dash attack.

Wario's Shoulder Bash is mapped to Side B and Chomp becomes his Neutral B. Meowth retains Pay Day as his Neutral B, and gains Fury Swipe as a new lunging Side B akin to Wolf's in Brawl.

May do Brawl and Smash 4 over the weekend, but just felt like jotting these down. I'm definitely not proposing anything too crazy, I suspect maybe my Brawl roster will have some more interesting choices, but all in all I love these kind of prompts so I wanted to chime in.

Last edited:

TheLastMaverickHunter

Smash Journeyman
Bored, so I'll do stages next.
  • Mushroom Kingdom
  • Bob-Omb Battlefield
  • Kongo Jungle
  • Hyrule Castle
  • Planet Zebes
  • Super Happy Tree
  • Dream Land
  • Sector Z
  • Saffron City
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Meta Crystal
  • Princess Peach's Castle
  • Bowser's Castle
  • Subcon
  • Hornet Hole
  • Gangplank Galleon
  • Temple
  • Great Bay
  • Brinstar
  • Brinstar Depths
  • Dinosaur Land
  • Yoshi's Story
  • The Great Cave Offensive (but way smaller)
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Corneria
  • Venom
  • Pokemon Stadium
  • Poke Floats
  • Mute City
  • Big Blue
  • Onett
  • Fourside
  • Icicle Mountain
  • Flat Zone
  • Kongo Jungle
  • Hyrule Castle
  • Dream Land
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Meta Crystal
  • Waiting Room
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Rainbow Road
  • Jungle Deeps
  • 25M
  • Bridge of Eldin
  • Pirate Ship
  • Norfair
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Mirror Hub
  • Halberd
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Sky Pillar
  • Port Town Aero Dive
  • Empire Porky Building
  • Summit
  • Castle Siege
  • Flat Zone 2
  • WarioWare Inc.
  • Venus Lighthouse
  • Distant Planet
  • Smashville
  • Pictochat
  • Gyromite
  • Shadow Moses Island
  • Green Hill Zone
  • Bowser's Castle
  • Dinosaur Land
  • Gangplank Galleon
  • Temple
  • Brinstar
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Corneria
  • Pokemon Stadium
  • Big Blue
  • Onett
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Boxing Ring
  • Gaur Plain
  • Duck Hunt
  • Wily Castle
  • Pac-Maze
  • Suzaku Castle
  • Super Mario Maker
  • Hyrule Castle
  • Dream Land
  • Saffron City
  • Midgar
  • Umbra Clock Tower
  • Small Battlefield
  • 3D Land
  • Paper Mario
  • Golden Temple
  • Gerudo Valley
  • Spirit Train
  • Alinos Perch
  • Fine Fields
  • Prism Tower
  • Mute City SNES
  • Magicant
  • Arena Ferox
  • Reset Bomb Forest
  • VB Wario Land
  • Tortimer Island
  • Pictochat 2
  • Living Room
  • Find Mii
  • Tomodachi Life
  • Balloon Fight
  • Emerald Coast
  • Rainbow Road
  • Brinstar
  • Mirror Hub
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Corneria
  • Flat Zone
  • Venus Lighthouse
  • Distant Planet
  • Gyromite
  • Big Battlefield
  • Meta Crystal
  • Mario Galaxy
  • Dr. Mario
  • Amiss Abyss
  • Skyloft
  • Pyrosphere
  • Woolly World
  • Another Dimension
  • Krazoa Palace
  • Unova Pokemon League
  • Casino Road
  • Saturn Valley
  • Coliseum
  • Flat Zone X
  • Underworld
  • Stonecarving City
  • Garden of Hope
  • Town and City
  • Wii Fit Studio
  • Wrecking Crew
  • Pilotwings
  • Wuhu Island
  • Pandora's Tower
  • Miiverse
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Kongo Jungle
  • 25M
  • Temple
  • Pirate Ship
  • Norfair
  • Dinosaur Land
  • Halberd
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Port Town Aero Dive
  • Onett
  • Summit
  • Castle Siege
  • Skyworld
  • Smashville
  • Green Hill Zone
  • A bunch of returning ones
  • Battlefield
  • Small Battlefield
  • Big Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • New Donk CIty
  • Great Plateau Tower
  • Moray Towers
  • Dracula's Castle
  • Mementos
  • Yggdrasil's Lair
  • Spiral Mountain
  • King of Fighters Stadium
  • Garreg Mach Monastery
  • Spring Stadium
  • New Seed
  • Northern Cave
  • Cloud Sea of Alrest
  • Mishima Dojo
  • Hollow Bastion

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Yay, again...
(I'm using emotes this time, so ^ denotes unlockable characters)
:mario64:
:dk64:
:link64:
:samus64:
:yoshi64:
:kirby64:
:fox64:
:pikachu64:
:luigi64:^​
:bowsermelee:^​
:marthmelee:^​
:mewtwomelee:^​
:dedede:^​
:ness64:^​
:falcon64:^​
:052:^​
:luigimelee:^​
:warioc:^​
:mariomelee:
:dkmelee:
:linkmelee:
:samusmelee:
:yoshimelee:
:diddy:^​
:ganondorfmelee:^​
:dedede:^​
:falcomelee:^​
:kirbymelee:
:foxmelee:
:pikachumelee:
:nessmelee:
:falconmelee:
:mewtwomelee:^​
:052: ^​
:marthmelee:^​
:bowsermelee:
:peachmelee:
:zeldamelee: / :sheikmelee:
:212:
:icsmelee:
:gawmelee:^​
:mario2:
:luigi2:^​
:bowser2:
:peach:
:dk2:
:diddy:
:yoshi2:
:wario:
:gw:^​
:rob:^​
:link2:
:sheilda:
:ganondorf:^​
:samus2: / :zerosuitsamus:
:kirby2:
:dedede:
:metaknight:
:fox:
:falco:^​
:wolf:^​
:pikachu2:
:pt:
(:158: / Grovyle / :charizard:)​
:lucario:^​
:marth:^​
Lyn​
:ike:
:ness2:^​
:lucas:
:falcon:^​
:popo:
:pit:
:olimar:
Tetra^​
Isaac^​
DeMille^​
:snake:
:sonic:
:4mario:
:4luigi:
:4bowser:
:4bowserjr:^​
:4peach:
:rosalina:
:4yoshi:
:4wario:^​
:4dk:
:4diddy:
:4link:
:4zelda:
:4sheik:
:4ganondorf:^​
Tetra​
Ghirahim​
:4samus:
:4zss:
:4kirby:
:4dedede:
:4metaknight:
:4fox:
:4falco:^​
:4pikachu:
:4charizard:
:212:^​
:4lucario:
:4greninja:
:4marth:
Lyn​
:4myfriends:
:4robinm:
:4ness:^​
:4falcon:
:4gaw:^​
:4pit:
:4palutena:
:4olimar:
Isaac​
DeMille^​
:4rob:^​
:4villager:
:4wiifit:
:4littlemac:
RANDOM​
:4shulk:
Takamaru^​
:4darkpit:^​
:4sonic:
:4megaman:
:4pacman:
:4mii:
Extra Fighters ->​
:4mewtwo:
:4lucas:
:azura:
:4duckhunt:
Rayman​
:4ryu:
:4cloud:
:4bayonetta:
64MeleeBrawlSm4shNewcomers
  • 1. Mario
  • 2. Donkey Kong
  • 3. Link
  • 4. Samus
    • 4ε. Dark Samus
  • 5. Yoshi
  • 6. Kirby
  • 7. Fox
  • 8. Pikachu
  • 9. Luigi
  • 10. Bowser
  • 11. Marth
  • 12. Mewtwo
  • 13. King Dedede
  • 14. Ness
  • 15. Captain Falcon
  • 16. Meowth
  • 17. Peach
    • 17ε. Daisy
  • 18. Zelda
  • 19. Sheik
    • 19ε. Yiga
  • 20. Scizor
  • 21. Ice Climbers
  • 22. Wario
  • 23. Diddy Kong
    • 23ε. Dixie Kong
  • 24. Ganondorf
  • 25. Falco
  • 26. Mr. Game & Watch
  • 27. Meta Knight
  • 28. Pit
    • 28ε. Dark Pit
  • 29. Lyn
  • 30. Olimar
    • 30ε. Alph
  • 31. Snake
  • 32. Ike
  • 33-35. Pokémon Trainer (Totodile/Grovyle/Charizard)
  • 36. Zero Suit Samus
  • 37. Lucas
  • 38. Sonic
    • 38ε. Shadow
  • 39. Tetra
  • 40. Wolf
  • 41. Lucario
  • 42. Isaac
  • 43. DeMille
  • 44. R.O.B.
  • 45. Villager
  • 46. Mega Man