• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You are Sakurai in 1999, what becomes your roster input for 64 and later installments?

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
You read the title right, you are the director of Super Smash Bros.

You and Iwata planned to make the game as Dragon King: The Fighting Game, But have it scrapped and decided to make it Nintendo based instead featuring familiar characters and elements.

RULES:

1. You can’t exceed roster limits at the time of developing a certain title, the number of characters must stay the same as canon. (64-12, Melee-25, Brawl-35, 4-58 including DLC) This goes for cuts as well.

2. The characters you add must exist at the time.

3. Regarding Melee, it’s either 1 unique newcomer or 6 clones, your choice.

4.Transformation characters can count as one character.

5. As an extra challenge, the Original 8 are untouched, you must be obliged to add them.
You can only choose the four hidden characters
for 64.

Last edited:

DrPerplexion

Smash Cadet
About Dark Samus in brawl, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes was released in 2004, 4 years before brawl was released
(sorry i broke the rules, I keep my roster small)

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
64: Ness stays, Captain Falcon is cut in favour of Muddy Mole, Jigglypuff is cut in favour of Squirtle, Luigi is cut in favour of Bowser

Melee: Peach, Zelda/Sheik, Mr. G&W, Falco, Mewtwo and Pichu stay (note: I probably wouldn't have come up with the idea of including the ICs or Doc as a separate character). the spot Bowser would take if he was a new character is taken by Wario, the ICs are replaced by Duck Hunt, Young Link is replaced by Paula as a Ness clone, Ganondorf is replaced by Daisy as a Peach clone, Marth is replaced by Diddy Kong, Dr. Mario is replaced by Luigi as a Mario clone, Roy is replaced by Dixie as a Diddy clone, Doc is an alt costume

Brawl: Toon, Dedede, Lucas, Sonic and Olimar stay (yet again, I wouldn't have come up with R.O.B.). Wario is revamped from Land to Ware. the slot that would belong to a new Diddy is taken by King K. Rool, Meta Knight is replaced by Waluigi, Pokemon Trainer is replaced by Onix, Pit is replaced by Mini Kangaroo, R.O.B. is replaced by Excitebiker, Ike is replaced by Kumatora, Wolf is replaced by a decloned Luigi, Lucario is replaced by Tingle, Snake is replaced by Pac-Man

3DS/Wii U: Bowser Jr., Villager, Little Mac, Ryu and Miis stay (I wouldn't have thought of WFT). Rosalina is replaced by a decloned Daisy, Greninja is replaced by Genesect, Robin is replaced by the introduction of Marth, Lucina is replaced by Slippy as a Fox clone, Corrin is replaced by non-clone Ganondorf (I like Ganondorf as a clone, but wouldn't have come up with that idea cuz' ya' know, no Falcon), Palutena is replaced by Ashley, Dark Pit is replaced by Tiny Wario as a Wario clone, WFT is replaced by Dr. Kawashima (if he approves of course), Shulk is replaced by Jill from Drill Dozer, as DH replaced the ICs earlier, Duck Hunt's new slot is given to the return of Duck Hunt themselves, same goes for Pac, Mega Man is replaced by Crash Bandicoot, Cloud is replaced by a Namco Museum trio, Bayonetta is replaced by Tails.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I love these threads!

64:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultyoshi::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultkingdedede:
Melee:
12 above, + :ultbowser::ultpeach::ultganondorf::ultzelda::ultsheik:( as a separate fighter):ultmetaknight::ultridley::ultfalco::ultdiddy::ultmewtwo::ultpit::ultyoshi::ulticeclimbers:
Brawl: 25 above, + :ultwolf: :ultjigglypuff::ultlucario::ultpokemontrainer::ultzss:(as a separate fighter):ultrosalina::ultmarth::ultgnw::ultrob::ultlucas:
Smash 4::ultduckhunt::ultgreninja::ultisabelle::ultike::ultmegaman::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultrobin:ultvillager::ultbayonetta::ultryu::ultcloud: Plus a bunch of other fighters, see signature

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Smash 64 - It’s a roster of 12. There are no veterans to consider.
:ultmario::ultyoshi::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultpit::ultmarth::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultness::ultgnw:

Smash Melee - It’s a roster of 20. No veterans are cut.
:ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda::ultroy::ultfalco::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ulticeclimbers:

Smash Brawl - It’s a roster of 35. No veterans are cut.
:ultluigi::ultwario::ultdiddy::ulttoonlink::ultganondorf::ultpalutena::ultike::ultmetaknight::ultwolf::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultvillager::ultfalcon::ultsnake::ultsonic:

Smash 4 - It’s a roster of 56. No veterans are cut.
:ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultkrool::ultridley::ultdarkpit::ultkingdedede::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultgreninja::ultlucas::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt::ultrob::ultisabelle::ultshulk::ultsimon::ultryu::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultcloud::ultbayonetta:

Smash Ultimate - It’s a roster of 70. No veterans are cut.
Geno, Skull Kid, :ultdarksamus:, Bandana Dee, Krystal, Blaziken, Decidueye, Issac, Rex and Pyra, :ultinkling:, Springman, Alucard, Ken, and Steve.
Melee is only 20 characters instead of 25. I was abiding by the one unique newcomer or six clone characters rule and chose one unique newcomer.

Zelda can transform into Sheik in previous games, so I brought that back in my roster picks. I’m counting them as one fighter in Smash Melee and Smash Brawl. The same also applies to Samus and Zero Suit Samus except for the fact that Zero Suit Samus doesn't come in until Smash Brawl.

Instead of counting Sheik and Zero Suit Samus as characters separate from Zelda and Samus in Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate, I still counted them as one with their counterparts, but I decreased the amount of characters used in Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate to compensate.

I’m also counting Pokémon Trainer as one fighter in all regards.
Not Included - Veterans that I would have never included up to this point in time.
:ultdoc::ultdaisy::ultyounglink::ultchrom::ultlucina::ultpichu::ultolimar::ultwiifittrainer::ultrichter::ultmiifighters:

Last edited:

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I might edit in Brawl and on later but I want to make one for 64 and Melee for now at least. (it's hard for afterwards considering how much Smash has influenced it)

It's a bit difficult, I have to think what I would have thought of, even if I think they were pretty good ideas in the end, as well as my previous point with how Smash influenced some games, but here goes, I'll try detail the other information I can add, in terms of priority:

64: :mario64::dk64::link64::samus64::yoshi64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64::luigi64::falcon64::052: and if I can add one more character since I believe Meowth would be around as taxing to make as Ness and Jigglypuff combined, while I think Ness was a good choice in the long run, I am unsure if I would have considered him as much as others.
I think if I could I would likely add someone like Banjo Kazooie with some of Mario's attributes, Marth with some of Link's similar to how Ness and Falcon share a few from others too but still feel fairly unique but I believe that would be it.

Melee (with my previous roster):
Unique characters::mariomelee::linkmelee::dkmelee::pikachumelee::samusmelee::foxmelee::kirbymelee::yoshimelee::bowsermelee:(My bias wants to say :icsmelee: but most likely) :pit::marthmelee::mewtwomelee::luigimelee:Banjo Kazooie/:diddy: (If Rareware doesn't get bought out or it doesn't end up preventing it in time, otherwise Diddy Kong):zeldamelee::052::peachmelee::nessmelee::falconmelee::4duckhunt:20 limit for unique characters reached :warioc::dedede::sonic:(if allowed):ganondorfmelee:(Unique)/Ganon either a third retro rep being themed to be more obscure (Japan only release for example) or more oddball/accessory based characters (Like Diskun or :rob:) and a new Pokemon, this would be it with the current development time in terms of priorities.

Echoes: TBA

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
He mostly did a great job. What I'd do differently is go the extra mile with everything. Examples:

Make sure ganondorf was introduced with his own moveset, even if it meant delaying the game, or maybe finding a way to release some kind of expansion pack or "melee delux" a hear later.

Go through with all his character ideas in full. Like the Diddy Dixie team rather than just Diddy, toon zelda/tetra, plusle minum (or whatever they're caled), Geno etc. And I'd do the same thing as I said above for ganon. Delay the game or release exansions or updated versions. Which by the way should have been a thing all along. Smash bros is a popular game, every system could have had multiple iterations. We get new ea sports games every year, I think smash can have multiple iterations per system.

Besides those things, he's honestly done a great job. He just has put to many limitations on the game for unknown reasons to me.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
64: Replace :ultjigglypuff: with :ultmarth:. Marth was canonically a sword and shield fighter before his Melee design (which somehow became canon in actual Fire Emblem games), so I think the same amount of resources used to make Jigglypuff from Kirby could probably be applied to making Marth from Link. Just needs two special moves to replace Bombs and the boomerang. I know Jigglypuff was absolutely a more popular character than Marth in 1999, but Sakurai considered Marth from the beginning, and in hindsight we can definitely say now that Marth is the more popular character. Other than that I'm fine with the 64 roster. Ness feels a little superflous but an F-Zero game had just come out during SSB's development, so Falcon feels like a necessary addition. Just wish he had a stage.

Melee: Keep the clones. Building a new game in such a short time on new hardware must have been the most quietly tumultuous stories that's never been told. And having just eight newcomers rather than thirteen sounds like an unacceptable figure for how much work got put in. Anyway, if we can swap out those clones, the easiest one is Falco. :ultwolf: even appears in the damn game's opening, so why go with :ultfalco:, the member of the team with the least characterization? And in this alternate universe, since Jigglypuff doesn't exist and I refuse to put her in, spend the time that would have been spent making Marth and make :ultkingdedede: Love villains.

Brawl: Brawl's character additions are 100% stellar in my opinion. Keep everything. Declone Wolf to the degree Falco was, and in "Wolf"'s place spend that time getting back :ultmewtwo:. All other cuts are fine with me. Also spend the time that would have been on King Dedede (since he already exists) adding :ultridley:.

Smash 4: Let's see...in this alternate universe, Mewtwo's already still in so his DLC slot can go to :ultsnake:. I'm extremely bothered by Ganondorf being copy pasted from Brawl with no changes and an outdated design. Replace this nerd with Beast Ganon wielding a trident. Give us a reference to a pre-OoT Zelda game. So much moveset potential too. He can warp, cast magic, set the ground on fire, telepathically wave the trident independently of the body. I know I haven't picked anything to be cut in his place, but Smash 4's development was very long for how little they added to Smash, so I'm sure they could make it work. Cut Wii Fit Trainer, Charizard, or Sheik if you have to. Smash 4's character additions, outside of the Guest characters, all feel very....designed by committee. Every one can be backed up by sales numbers or popularity polls. But the only one that really bothers me is Wii Fit Trainer who feels more appropriate to have been a stage element or assist trophy.

TL;DR: Jigglypuff never exists with Marth taking her place. Wolf gets in over Falco who I never put in. King Dedede gets in a game early. Ridley gets in two games early. Mewtwo is never cut. Snake returns in his place for DLC. Ganondorf and likely Wii Fit Trainer are cut to get Beast Ganon in. And Ultimate gets enough resources for another newcomer.

Last edited:

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
64: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultluigi::ultness::ultmewtwo::ultfalcon:

Melee: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultluigi::ultness::ultmewtwo::ultfalcon:|:ultbowser::ultpeach::ultdiddy::ultganondorf::ultzelda::ultyounglink::ultsheik::ultwolf::ultmarth::ulticeclimbers::006::ultkingdedede::ultvillager:

Brawl: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultluigi::ultness::ultmewtwo::ultfalcon::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultdiddy::ultganondorf::ultzelda::ultyounglink::ultwario::ultwolf::ultmarth::ulticeclimbers::ultpokemontrainer::ultkingdedede::ultvillager:|:ultsheik::ultpit::ultmetaknight::ultzss::ultsonic:(Gen 3/4 Pokemon):ultike::ultfalco::ultlucas::ultolimar:

4: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultluigi::ultness::ultmewtwo::ultfalcon::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultdiddy::ultganondorf::ultzelda::ultyounglink::ultwario::ultwolf::ultmarth::ulticeclimbers::ultpokemontrainer::ultkingdedede::ultvillager::ultsheik::ultpit::ultmetaknight::ultzss::ultsonic:(Gen 3/4 Pokemon):ultike::ultfalco::ultlucas::ultolimar:|:ultrosalina::ultgreninja::ultisabelle::ultlittlemac::ultmiifighters::ultpacman::ultmegaman::ultpalutena::ultrobin(Lyn):ultsimon::ultshulk::ultduckhunt::ultmiifighters::ultsnake::ultcorrin:(Geno) || DLC: :ulttoonlink::ultdarksamus::ultryu::ultcloud:(Tails) :ultinkling:

Though hindsight is 20/20, and doing it my way would probably bring less hype for when cut characters return and whatnot, since I would feel illogical in cutting characters. The only cut I'd make is turning Charizard into PT with the option of keeping each character completely separate (not even needing to switch after a stock). Plus it'd probably be really difficult to add in characters the way I do since I try not to emphasize clones, so it's very "idealistic" since I don't know what Sakurai's limitations were.

I wanted to put Ridley in way back in Melee, but somehow I felt like blueballing the Metroid fanbase kinda gave us some character, lol. Plus, that way Ultimate can be a little more "Ultimate" since the wind got thrown out of its sails by not having "everyone is here" hype, etc.

Last edited:

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
64:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultfalcon::ultmewtwo::ultness:

Melee:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultfalcon::ultmewtwo::ultness::ultbowser::ultganondorf::ultpeach::ultzelda:/:ultsheik::ultpit::ultmarth::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultridley::ultfalco::ultdiddy::ultgnw::ulticeclimbers:

Brawl:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultfalcon::ultmewtwo::ultness::ultbowser::ultganondorf::ultpeach::ultzelda:/:ultsheik::ultpit::ultmarth::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultridley::ultfalco::ultdiddy::ultgnw::ulticeclimbers::ultvillager::ultwario::ultwolf::ulttoonlink::ultike::ultlucario::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucas::ultsonic:

Wii U/3DS:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultfalcon::ultmewtwo::ultness::ultbowser::ultganondorf::ultpeach::ultzelda:/:ultsheik::ultpit::ultmarth::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultridley::ultfalco::ultdiddy::ultgnw::ulticeclimbers::ultvillager::ultwario::ultwolf::ulttoonlink::ultike::ultlucario::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucas::ultsonic:
:ultolimar::ultlittlemac::ultpalutena::ultkrool:
:ultdarksamus::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultgreninja::ultduckhunt::ultrob::ultpacman::ultmegaman:

Ultimate:
:ultolimar::ultlittlemac::ultpalutena::ultkrool:
:ultdarksamus::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultgreninja::ultduckhunt::ultrob::ultpacman::ultmegaman::ultinkling:
:ultdaisy:
:ultwiifittrainer::ultjigglypuff:

Changes (General)
Less 3rd parties (Only the biggest and most iconic: Pac-Man, Mega Man, Sonic)
Donkey Kong + Metroid Get New Character in Each Installment
Less Fire Emblem Characters
Pokemon Changes
Retro Characters Added in 2

Changes (Specific)
Mewtwo Replaces Jigglypuff in 64
Pit, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Ridley, and Diddy Kong all debut in Melee
Roy, Pichu, Dr. Mario, and Young Link cut from Melee
Villager and Dixie Kong debut in Brawl
Olimar, R.O.B., and Snake cut from Brawl
Olimar, King K. Rool, Captain Toad, Dark Samus, and R.O.B. debut in Wii U/3DS
Wii Fit Trainer, Dark Pit, Ryu, Cloud, Corrin, Robin, and Bayonetta cut from 3DS/Wii U
Slippy Toad, Peppy Hare, Spring Man, Isaac, Medusa, Chrous Kids, Sylux, Wii Fit Trainer, Jigglypuff, and Waluigi debut in Ultimate
Chrom, Simon Belmont, and Richter Belmont cut from Ultimate

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I think the four hidden characters in Super Smash Bros. were both meant for popular characters and obscure characters. Luigi and Jigglypuff were well-known, but Ness and Captain Falcon were obscure. I think Luigi was made because there was a Mario model and Jigglypuff was made because of a Kirby model. That probably explains why Jigglypuff has multiple jumps, which needs to be limited to two jumps. Sing needs to be replaced with something else, since landing Rest isn't that difficult once you got it down. Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, Little Mac, Marth, R.O.B., or Wario could have been added on the list. Marth would have a harder time being added, only because his first game was never released outside of Japan.

:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultness::ultfalcon::ultgnw::ultpit:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Smash 64:
Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Fox, Samus, Little Mac, Marth, Bubbles, Banjo & Kazooie, Young Link (Semi-Clone)

Melee:
Smash 64 minus Banjo & Kazooie because of Rare buyout (Meaning 1 more unique newcomer slot)
Unique Newcomers: Yoshi, Peach, Zelda, Eevee, Wario, Bowser, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Mr. Game & Watch
New Semi Clones/Echoes: Luigi, Pichu, Wolf, Young Zelda, Armored Mewtwo, Donkey Kong Jr.

Brawl:
All Melee (Meaning 5 less newcomer slots)
Newcomers: Meta Knight, ZS Samus, Snake, Diddy Kong, Pokemon Trainer, Sonic, King Dedede, Olimar, ROB*, Tom Nook, Mii
*Implemented different, is a sprite who turn into other NES era sprites for attacks like a balloon fighter up special, Ice Climber neutral special, etc. think of how G&W seems to now transform in his attacks now to closer mock source of attack, not sure if this would work this way but had the idea and thought it would be interesting

Smash 4
All Brawl minus Snake because Konami (meaning 5 less newcomer slots, use 3 DLC veterans slots for new echoes)
Newcomers: Mega Man, Pac Man, Shulk, Bowser Jr., Waluigi, Marshal, Ridley, King K. Rool, Tiki, Genesect
New Echoes: Daisy, Dixie Kong
Newcomer DLC: Ryu, Cloud, Anna, Hayabusa
New Echoes DLC: Metal Sonic, Ken, Zack Fair

Ultimate so far:
Everyone is here (Banjo & Snake, use slots from characters never removed for more echoes so plus 5)
Newcomers: Inkling, Simon, Captain Toad, Elma
New Semi Clones/Echoes: Dark Samus, Isabelle, Ms. Pac Man, Birdo, Octoling, Dry Bowser, Ms. Game & Watch, Rival Trainer

Not going to lie was running out of ideas for echoes i wanted with melee and ultimate.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
This is cute and fun! There are lots of characters I love to play as now like Jigglypuff and Ice Climbers, but if they were never introduced, I wouldn't know any better and wouldn't miss them! I love analyzing yalls lists and making my own, such fun data and possibilities~ So, here I go, I'll also ignore the additional challenge and mess with the original 8 a bit.

64(12):
Starters::ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultness:Unlockable::ultpit::ultfalcon::ultmewtwo::ultbowser:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Melee(26): No Cuts
Starters::ultmario::ultpeach::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultlink::ultzelda::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultness::ultpit::ultfalcon::ultroy:

Unlockable: :ultbowser::ultganondorf::ultridley::ultmewtwo::ultsonic:
6 Clones(Also all unlockable)::ultluigi::ultdaisy:(Dixie):ultfalco::ultwolf::ultlucas:

Overall New Additions: (5 Starters):ultpeach::ultdiddy::ultzelda::ultmetaknight::ultroy:
(9 Unlockables):ultluigi::ultdaisy:(Dixie):ultganondorf::ultridley::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultlucas::ultsonic:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Brawl(39): No Cuts
Starters::ultmario::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultdk::ultdiddy:(Dixie):ultlink::ultzelda::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultfox::ultfalco::ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultness::ultpit::ultfalcon::ultike::ultvillager::ultolimar:

Unlockable::ultluigi::ultdaisy::ultwario::ultbowserjr::ultkrool::ultganondorf::ultdarksamus::ultridley::ultkingdedede::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultwolf::ultroy:(Lyn):ultsonic::ultmegaman:

New Additions: (4~6 Starters):ultpokemontrainer::ultike::ultvillager::ultolimar:
(8 Unlockables):ultwario::ultbowserjr::ultkrool::ultdarksamus::ultkingdedede::ultlucario:(Lyn):ultmegaman:

4 Wii U & 3DS(51): Pokemon Trainer and Falco cut. Note, Mii is just one moveset based on moves from Wii Sports, Tomodachi Life, stuff like that. Another note, Lucina is a flameless clone of Roy and Chrom is a faster but weaker clone of Ike! Also Bowser Jr is more true to himself as his alts aren't Koopalings anymore... They're cool alts, but a truer moveset will be better in the long run.
Starters::ultmario::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultyoshi::ultdk::ultdiddy:(Dixie):ultkrool::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultridley::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:
:ultfox::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultness::ultlucas::ultpit::ultfalcon:(Lyn):ultrobin:ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultolimar:(Isaac):ultmiifighters:

Unlockable::ultluigi::ultdaisy::ultbowserjr::ultrosalina::ultwario:(Skull Kid):ultdarksamus:(Bandanna Dee):ultwolf::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultroy::ultike::ultlittlemac::ultshulk::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman:
3 Clones::ultdarkpit::ultchrom::ultlucina:

New Additions: (5 Starters):ultyoshi::ultrobin:ultisabelle:(Isaac):ultmiifighters:
(10 Unlockables):ultrosalina:(Skull Kid)(Bandanna Dee):ultgreninja::ultdarkpit::ultchrom::ultlucina::ultlittlemac::ultshulk::ultpacman:

DLC(7): (Geno):ultfalco::ultryu:(Banjo&Kazooie):ultcloud::ultinkling::ultbayonetta:
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Ultimate Everyone is here! Only Pokemon Trainer, Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard would be having a grand return because they wouldn't work on the 3DS, but still! So, the difference would be that I'd already have :ultdaisy::ultkrool::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultisabelle::ultinkling: Dixie Kong, Lyn, Isaac, Skull Kid, Bandanna Dee, Geno, and Banjo&Kazooie!

But I wouldn't have:ultjigglypuff::ulticeclimbers::ultsheik::ultdoc::ultpichu::ultyounglink::ultmarth::ultgnw::ultzss::ultsnake::ultrob::ulttoonlink::ultwiifittrainer::ultpalutena::ultduckhunt::ultcorrin:and two more Mii movesets. I regret losing Snake the most, but I dunno if I'd be friends with Kojima like Sakurai is, I'd like to be but I dunno haha, seems too random and magical! I also have Roy promoting his upcoming game solo and then introducing Lyn as the series lead, since she dominated the FEH fan poll, with Ike behind her, and Roy and Lucina following close behind. Marth can be the assist trophy instead of Lyn! Other characters like R.O.B., Duck Hunt, and Wii Fit Trainer can be assist trophies, Palutena and Sheik can appear in Pit and Zelda's final smashes, and others like ZSS and G&W simply wouldn't be missed since people wouldn't know what they were missing. I love playing as G&W now, but yeah.

Along with the Smash Ballot, I'd pay attention and maybe secretly orchestrate some sort of worldwide Pokemon popularity poll, to find out who to show off besides Pikachu, Greninja, and other popular Pokemon already here. I'd feel it would be too late to put in a Gen 7 Pokemon just because they're from the most recent game, especially because by the time Ultimate would come out, Gen 8 would already be on the way (they're already teasing Meltan now so...) And I'd put whoever wins that poll and then a Gen 8 Pokemon (or Trainer) as DLC later. I know Japan did their own poll that Greninja won, but I think the poll being worldwide would change things! I dunno what the actual results would be, but I think I can safely guess Gengar would win a poll like that. So I'm just ganna go with that for this.

Anyway! I'd only be up to 61 characters. I'd go on to try my best to add:
Newcomers(8): :ultsimon:Simon, Phoenix Wright, Paper Mario, Waluigi, Ashley, Tetra, :094:Gengar, Sora
Echoes(8): :ultrichter:Richter, Edgeworth, Funky Kong, Ninten, Blood Falcon, Matthew(Isaac's Son), Shadow, Ken

DLC Newcomers(7): Gen 8 Pokemon Trainer with 3 Pokemon(Different stages of evos of the 3 starters, just like the Kanto Trainer we already have), Midna&WolfLink, Toad, Larry:4larry:(the Smash 4 moveset with a different Final Smash), Tails
DLC Echoes - Come in waves similar to Mii costumes!(16): Shadow Mario, Toadette, Dark Meta Knight, Galacta Knight, Black Shadow, Captain Louie, Captain Alph:4alph:, Octoling, Knuckles, Akuma, :4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig:

I thiiink that would make the most people happy! I went a bit crazy there, but reached 100 characters. I would then hope to, uh, retire haha

Uhh...well this was fun!!! I'll go back to analyzing yalls lists now~

BowserKing

Smash Lord
If I could change the roster, well the first game will stay the same, because it is perfect the way it is

Note, this is the safe version of it, there's a more wild version later on

Game 1 Roster: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff:

Melee Roster (Note, :ultdoc: will still be in the game, but as an alternate costume):
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultzelda:/:ultsheik::ultpichu::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultkingdedede::ultroy::ultgnw:

King Dedede was added as he shared moves with Kirby and Ice Climbers
Another note: Pokémon trainer is one fighter in this one.

Brawl Roster:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus:/:ultzss::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultzelda:/:ultsheik::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultganondorf::ultkingdedede::ultgnw::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultwario::ultsnake::ultike::ultpokemontrainer:(:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:):ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic::ultolimar::ultlucario::ultrob::ulttoonlink::ultwolf:

:ultmewtwo: and :ultpichu: were considered

Game 4 roster: Note :ultzss: and :ultsheik: are not sperate characters

:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus:/:ultzss::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda:/:ultsheik::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultganondorf::ultkingdedede::ultgnw::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultwario::ultike::ultdiddy::ultsonic: Shadow :ultolimar::ultlucario::ultrob::ulttoonlink::ultwolf::ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina::ultlittlemac::249::ultgreninja: Miis (:ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter:):ultpalutena::ultpacman: Midna :ultrobin::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultmewtwo::ultlucas::ultroy::ultryu::ultcloud::ultcorrinf::ultbayonetta:

Ultimate roster (Note, Dark Samus has her Early form as an echo of :ultzss:), also Miis only take one slot instead of 3:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus:/:ultzss::ultdarksamus:/ Early Form :ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultzelda:/:ultsheik::ultpichu::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultkingdedede::ultroy::ultchrom::ultgnw::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultwario::ultsnake::ultike::ultpokemontrainer:(:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:):ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic: Shadow :ultolimar::ultlucario::ultrob::ulttoonlink::ultwolf::ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina::ultlittlemac::249::ultgreninja: Miis (:ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter:) :ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultken::ultcloud::ultcorrinf::ultbayonetta::ultinkling::ultridley: Fawful :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool::ultisabelle: Bandanna Dee :ultincineroar::ultpiranha::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie: :ult_terry::ultbylethf: :ultminmin :ultsteve: :ultsephiroth::ultpyra::ultkazuya::ultsora:

Now the Wild version.

First game stays the same

Melee interestingly would only have 23 characters to save time

Note: :ultdoc: is an alternate costume, as with :ultyounglink:
Roster: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultkingdedede::249::ultpichu::ultzelda:/:ultsheik::ultfalco::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultmewtwo::ultganondorf:

Brawl's turn

Note: :ultroy: is an alternate costume

Roster: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus:/:ultzss::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultkingdedede::249::ultpichu::ultzelda:/:ultsheik::ultfalco::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultmewtwo::ultganondorf::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultwario::ultsnake::ultmarth::ultpokemontrainer:(:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:):ultdiddy: Dixie Kong :ultsonic::ultolimar::ultlucario::ultwolf:

Game 4 Roster: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus:/:ultzss::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultkingdedede::249::ultpichu::ultzelda:/:ultsheik::ultfalco::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultmewtwo::ultganondorf::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultwario::ultsnake::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultpokemontrainer:(:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:):ultdiddy: Dixie Kong :ultsonic: Shadow :ultolimar::ultlucario::ultwolf::ultvillager::ultmegaman: Midna :ultrosalina::ultpalutena::ultgreninja::ultpacman::ultlittlemac::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt:, with Fawful :ultlucas::ultike::ultryu: Adeleine :ultcorrinf:and :ultkrool: (Ballot Winner) as DLC

Ultimate version

Note: :ultchrom: is an alternate costume

Roster: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus:/:ultzss::ultdarksamus:/Earlier version :ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser: Dark Bowser :ultkingdedede::249::ultpichu::ultzelda:/:ultsheik::ultfalco::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultmewtwo::ultganondorf::ultmetaknight: Dark Meta Knight :ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultwario::ultsnake::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultpokemontrainer:(:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:) :ultdiddy:Dixie Kong :ultsonic: Shadow :ultolimar::ultlucario::ultwolf::ultvillager::ultmegaman: Midna :ultrosalina::ultpalutena::ultgreninja::ultpacman::ultlittlemac::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt: Fawful :ultlucas::ultike::ultryu::ultken: Adeleine :ultcorrinf::ultkrool::ultinkling::ultridley::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultincineroar::ultisabelle: Shantae, Ray-Man, :ultminmin :ultrobinf::ultbayonetta: with :ultpiranha: :ultjoker:, Sylux, :ultbanjokazooie: :ultbylethf:, :ultsteve: Bio-Rex, Bandanna Dee, :ult_terry:, Frosmoth, Geno and :ultcloud:as DLC

Just to Clarify for this alternate version, Dark Meta Knight got revealed in June, R.O.B and Wii Fit Trainer got revealed in July, Ken, Incineroar and Dark Bowser got revealed in August, Shantae got revealed in September, Ray-Man and Min-Min got revealed in October and Robin and Bayonetta got revealed in November

New Update: Steve confirmed, replaces Sylux in the safe version, while Sylux stays in the wild version. Also Sylux takes Hero’s spot in the Wild version.

New Update: Sephiroth and Pyra and Mythra are added to the safe version, while Cloud replaces Shovel Knight in the Wild version

New Update: Kazuya and Sora added in the safe version.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
64 (12 Fighters)
Starter::ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu:
Unlock-able::ultkingdedede::ultmarth::ultpit::112:
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Melee (26 Fighters)
Returning::ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultkingdedede::ultmarth::ultpit::112:

(UNDER CONSTRUCTION)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Here are my rosters

64: :ultmario::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultdk::ultfox::ultsamus::ultlittlemac::ultfalcon::ultluigi::ultness::052:

Melee:
:ultmario::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultdk::ultfox::ultsamus::ultlittlemac::ultfalcon::ultluigi::ultness::052::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultpichu::ultfalco::ultpichu::ultgnw::ultmarth::ultroy::ulticeclimbers:

Brawl:
:ultmario::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultdk::ultfox::ultsamus::ultlittlemac::ultfalcon::ultluigi::ultness::052::ultdoc::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultfalco::ultgnw::ultmarth::ulticeclimbers::ultzss::ultsnake::ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf::ultpit::ultolimar::ultlucas::ultlucario::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultwolf: Wario with a moveset based Wario Land and Waluigi

Smash 4:
:ultmario::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultdk::ultfox::ultsamus::ultlittlemac::ultfalcon::ultluigi::ultness::052::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultfalco::ultgnw::ultmarth::ultroy::ulticeclimbers::ultzss::ultsnake::ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf::ultpit::ultolimar::ultlucas::ultlucario::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede: Wario, Waluigi :ulttoonlink::ultbayonetta::ultbayonetta1::ultcloud::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultrobin::ultrobinf::ultrosalina::ultryu::ultshulk::ultwiifittrainer::ultwiifittrainerm::ultlucina:

Ultimate:

:ultmario::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultdk::ultfox::ultsamus::ultlittlemac::ultfalcon::ultluigi::ultness::052::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultfalco::ultgnw::ultmarth::ultroy::ulticeclimbers::ultzss::ultsnake::ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf::ultpit::ultolimar::ultlucas::ultlucario::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede: Wario, Waluigi :ulttoonlink::ultbayonetta::ultbayonetta1::ultcloud::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultrobin::ultrobinf::ultrosalina::ultryu::ultshulk::ultwiifittrainer::ultwiifittrainerm::ultlucina::ultridley::ultdaisy::ultkrool::ultinkling::ultinklingboy::ultpiranha::ultken::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultdarksamus::ultwiifittrainerm:Decidueye, and Funky Kong

Last edited by a moderator:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Smash 64 would be the same. Diddy Kong, K. Rool and Ridley would be in Melee. I would have added Dixie Kong, Daisy and Lyn in Brawl. Ghirahim, Adeleine, Samurai Goroh and a non echo Dark Samus would be top priority newcomers of Smash Wii U/3DS. BOTW Zelda, Mimikyu, Cranky Kong, Pokey, and Wart are absolute must have Smash Ultimate newcomers.

My roster inputs aren't AT ALL dismissive of third party representation.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I think it's time I update my opinions on all of this since the thread is back.

In Smash Melee, my roster size is 20. There are technically 26 fighters, but I was abiding by the one unique newcomer or six clone characters rule and chose to add one unique newcomer. I will count Zelda and Sheik as one character in all regards since they can transform into each other in that game.

In Smash Brawl, my roster size is 37. There are technically 39 fighters, but I will count Zelda and Sheik as one character in all regards since they can transform into each other in that game. The same applies to Samus and Zero Suit Samus starting now. Pokémon Trainer is three seperate fighters in one, and since I do not plan to add a three in one fighter, I will not subtract it from the counter.

In Smash 4, my roster size is 56. There are technically 58 fighters, but I wish to keep Sheik and Zero Suit Samus able to transform into their respective counterparts, so I subtracted two from the total in order to count them as one.

In Smash Ultimate, my roster size is 80. There are technically 82 fighters, but I wish to keep Sheik and Zero Suit Samus able to transform into their respective counterparts, so I subtracted two from the total in order to count them as one. Pokémon Trainer is three seperate fighters in one, and since I do not plan to add a three in one fighter, I will not subtract it from the counter.

Smash 64 - It’s a roster of 12. There are no veterans to consider.
:ultmario::ultpeach::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultpit::ultmarth::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultness:
Smash Melee - It’s a roster of 20. No veterans are cut.
:ultbowser::ultdiddy::ultzelda::ultroy::ultmetaknight::ultfalco::ultmewtwo::ulticeclimbers:
Smash Brawl - It’s a roster of 37. No veterans are cut.
:ultluigi::ultyoshi::ultwario::ulttoonlink::ultganondorf::ultpalutena::ultike::ultkingdedede::ultwolf::ultlucario::ultgnw::ultlucas::ultfalcon::ultvillager::ultsnake::ultryu::ultsonic:
Smash 4 - It’s a roster of 56. No veterans are cut.
:ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultkrool:Wolf Link and Midna:ultridley::ultdarkpit:Lyn:ultrobin::ultgreninja::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt::ultolimar::ultshulk::ultpacman::ultsimon::ultmegaman::ultcloud:Banjo and Kazooie:ultbayonetta:
Smash Ultimate - It’s a roster of 80. No veterans are cut.
Waluigi:ultpiranha:Dixie Kong, Skull Kid:ultdarksamus:Hades:ultcorrin:Bandana Dee:ultincineroar:Unnamed Final Evolution of Grookey:ultrob::ultisabelle:Issac:ultwiifittrainer:Elma, Rex and Pyra:ultinkling:Springman, Alucard:ultken:Steve, Sans:ultjoker:Hero
Not Included - Veterans that I would have never included up to this point in time.
:ultdoc::ultdaisy::ultyounglink::ultchrom::ultlucina::ultpokemontrainer::ultpichu::ultrichter::ultmiifighters:

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
64:
:ultmario:,:ultlink:,:ultyoshi:,:ultpikachu:,:ultsamus:,:ultfox:,:ultkirby:,:ultdk:, :ultpiranha:, :ultsimon:, :ultryu:, :141:

Melee:
:141:, :ultsimon:, :ultdoc:, :ultyoshi:, :ultpikachu:,:ultpiranha:,:ultdk:, :ultkirby:, :ultluigi:, :ultmario:, :ultsamus:, :ultlink:, :ultryu:, :ultfox:, :ultfalcon:, :ultmarth:, :ultfalco:, :ultbowser:, :ultsonic:, :ulticeclimbers:, :ult_terry:, :ultsnake:, :ultbanjokazooie:, :ultness:, :ultpeach:

Brawl:
:141:, :ultsonic:, :ult_terry:, :ultpiranha:, :ultsnake:, :ultyoshi:, :ultsamus:, :ultryu:, :ultsimon:, :ultbanjokazooie:, :ultness:, :ultpokemontrainer:, :sheilda: (they switch again), :ultluigi:, :ultmarth:, :ultpikachu:, :ultlink:, :ulticeclimbers:, :ultfox:, :ultrob:, :ultmario:, :ultdk:, :ultkirby:, :ultpit:, :ultbowser:, :ultpeach:, :ultzss:, :ultfalcon:, :ultdoc:, Chimchar, :ultfalco:, :ultroy:, :ultpacman:, :160:

Sm4sh:
:160:, Chimchar, :141:, :ultdarksamus:, :ultpiranha:, :ultyoshi:,:ultsnake:,:ultsimon:,:ultshulk:,:ultwario:,:ult_terry:,:ultsonic:,:ultfox:,:ultpit:,:ultpikachu:,:ultridley:,:ultrob:,:ultwiifittrainer:,:ultness:, :ultpacman:,:ultbanjokazooie:, :ultbayonetta:, :ultisabelle:, :ulttoonlink:,:ultluigi:,:ultzelda:,:ultsheik:(They don't switch now),:ultpeach:, :ultryu:, :ultkrool:, :ultlucina:, :ultlink:, :ultmegaman:,:ultpokemontrainer:, solo :ultcharizard:, solo :ultsquirtle:, solo :ultivysaur:, Scorpion, Lara Croft, Chase McCain, :ultbowser:,:ultkirby:,:ultinkling:, :ultkingdedede:, :ultdk:, :ultlink:, :ultduckhunt:,:ulticeclimbers:, :nessecho:, :ultgreninja:,:ultcorrin:,:ultlucas:,:ultbowserjr:,:ultcloud:,:ultolimar:,:ultbrawler:,:ultswordfighter:,:ultgunner:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I like the rosters overall and would at most have Zero Suit Samus split in every entry and somehow try to sneak in Tidus and Isaac, but here’s my take if I had to do this on my own in the time of 1997 onward. I’ll approach this by using Sakurai’s ideas throughout the game’s development cycle as a base, allowing me to better account for things like time constraints and budget. Even though I would’ve never come up with some characters (e.g. double team Ice Climbers, a playable Duck Hunt), it’s not possible to accurately predict what development cycles would look like if I was doing this completely from the ground up. Also, I probably wouldn’t have come up with a decent number of things that Sakurai added (Adventure Mode in Melee, Subspace, Smash Run/Tour, Eight Player Battles, items in 64 or even possibly Melee). As these features wouldn’t necessarily be added, the development cycles would drastically differ, so it’s hard to predict how many fighters would actually be possible. I’ll just highlight the questionable things or changes.
64 Roster.png

This ends up being the original roster
Reasons
Yoshi stays as Fire Emblem and Punch Out were noticeably less relevant than Yoshi, and Yoshi has his own games unlike Bowser and Peach.
I have Ness as Mother was relevant in Japan, and a psychic character seems interesting.
Captain Falcon is the weirdest addition to me, but F-Zero got revived during development, and Falcon can reuse Samus‘s assets.
If I did this completely from the ground up, Jigglypuff would‘ve waited until Melee. With the template, I’m still putting it here because there was consideration for another semi-clone, and I don’t need a second character heavily based on Mario (Wario/Toad), and the other viable choices were either less popular (Dk. Jr/Gooey) or less distinct from their parent fighter (Young Link/Falco/Raichu).
Another important thing to note is the scrapped fighters: Bowser, Dedede, and Mewtwo (Marth too, but I don’t know if he was actually worked on). Out of these, I think that I’d only consider adding Bowser as the only franchise that I could see myself giving multiple unique fighters to at the time is Mario. In addition to Bowser, I could see myself working on Marth as Fire Emblem was decently popular. Both fighters would be scrapped because of time constraints.
Starters: :mariomelee::luigimelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee::dkmelee::linkmelee::zeldamelee::samusmelee::yoshimelee::kirbymelee::foxmelee::pikachumelee::ness64::pit:
Secret Fighters: :drmario::younglinkmelee::ganondorfmelee::falconmelee::dedede::falcomelee::jigglypuffmelee::mewtwomelee::pichumelee::marthmelee::roymelee::gawmelee:
Reasons
Melee is a huge headache to do completely from the ground up as the roster initially was assumed to have like 4 or 5 unique newcomers and maybe a clone or 2, but with using Sakurai‘s initial planning as a template, some of the complexities are removed. While I liked Melee’s roster given its circumstances, there are some things that I probably wouldn’t have been comfortable with if I was developing it.
Zelda and Sheik were chosen as a pair, so they’d most likely be an all or nothing situation like Pokemon Trainer despite one character having more significance. I think a transforming character seems like a cool idea that I’d like to add, but given Melee’s rushed nature, I don’t think that I’d be able to finish a transforming fighter. I want to have Zelda, Sheik, or Ganondorf because of Ocarina of Time’s popularity. I think that I would’ve prioritized a unique Ganondorf before a standalone Zelda or Sheik as he was more requested and easier to conceptualize, but Zelda reuses some of Peach’s animations, which helps when a game is rushed, so she becomes a standalone fighter with a light beam as one of her specials. While a unique Ganondorf would be a reasonable addition, I think that I’d prioritize King Dedede as he’s a hammer wielder, which is missing with Ice Climbers cut.
Like Zelda and Sheik, Ice Climbers have a really cool gameplay mechanic that would be difficult to implement with a limited development cycle. The idea of a throwback fighter seems cool, so Pit joins as the throwback fighter as he interests me the most without risking development time on something that might not work (I feel like even if I chose Sopo, it would probably end up with me trying to add the second climber).
Mr. Game & Watch was a cool idea, and with Ice Climbers being dropped, I‘m keeping him for two reasons: it’s nice to have a few unpredictable choices on the roster, and he’s probably the easiest unique fighter to animate outside of Jigglypuff.
Even if the misconception that the six clones can be replaced with a unique fighter was true, I’d probably still go with the clones as I’d at least want Young Link and Falco.
For Dr. Mario, I decided to keep him as multiple Mario’s are playable in Mario Golf, and we have two Links. I want to say that Daisy would join, and Ganondorf was very last minute, and I’d think it’s better to have Ganon than not to have him.
In terms of honorable mentions, they’d probably be Ice Climbers, Sheik, and Wario as the former ones have cool gimmicks, and Wario was the most requested character missing from my Melee roster. Meowth was also seemingly worked on during development, but it’s not high enough of a priority for me. Maybe it’d be ninth or tenth in terms of priority. While he wouldn’t be planned because he was in a licensing grey area at the time, I should still address Diddy Kong for his significance in DKC.
64DS Roster.png

I would’ve wanted to have a DS game for SSB, and I would’ve tried this with a remaster of SSB64 similar to Super Mario 64 DS. If I can add content, I’d like to add the scrapped characters in addition to stages for franchises without stages (Let’s just say Archanea, Mute City, Onett).
Starters: :mario2::luigi2::peach::bowser2::dk2::diddy::yoshi2::warioc::link2::zelda::samus2::zerosuitsamus::pit::ike::kirby2::dedede::metaknight::fox:Krystal:ness64::pikachu2::pt::olimar::snake::sonic:
Secret::gw:Dixie Kong:rob::ganondorf::toonlink::marth::falcon::falco::lucas::lucario::jigglypuff:Isaac
Reasons
Just to get this out of the way, I’ll actually start with the forbidden 7 and Melee cuts first. In terms of Melee cuts, the clones are identical to what actually happened. Roy and Pichu are lower priority because their promotional role has been fulfilled, Dr. Mario was just an alt promotion more or less and is not becoming a spinoff mainstay unlike Daisy, Young Link is effectively replaced by Toon Link. Based on my Melee roster, I’ll guess that Mewtwo is still cut as it would probably be too buggy without remaking it completely from scratch (please refer to this post). In terms of the other scrapped fighters, I don’t really see the need for a Toon Zelda or Toon Sheik, I think I’d try to implement Dixie Kong as Diddy’s Nana, but they’d probably need to be split up while developing them, and I have no clue what pra_mai even was, and I’ll just leave it alone and assume that is was the initial placeholder for the random button.
I’ll now go into the 16 other fighters that made the roster (reminder that Pit and Dedede were added in Melee). Zero Suit Samus seems like a weird choice given that we have Ridley and to a lesser degree, Dark Samus, but I’m fine with keeping her as Ridley seems like a good choice for a boss fight, and an Armorless Samus was a recurring Easter Egg at the time of her inclusion. Also, I’d leave her split off from regular Samus as I wouldn’t want to tack on a gimmick to regular Samus. A playable Pokemon Trainer is a cool idea, and (s)he is the player character, so I’d consider it. Because I didn’t have a transforming fighter in my alternate Melee roster, I‘d probably hesitant to initially add Pokemon Trainer in the form that they end up as, but Brawl wasn’t rushed unlike Melee, and I wanted a transforming fighter back in Melee, which would encourage me to work on this character in the end. As Dixie Kong is split from Diddy Kong in this version of Brawl, Wolf is cut.
The newcomers that I’d probably also consider would be Krystal because she was a popular request and Isaac because he seems interesting as a fighter.
I’ll go over other notable newcomers that I considered but probably wouldn’t work on. While I love Ice Climbers, I think their implementation would’ve been passed onto Diddy Kong. There are multiple fighters in the Mario series that could work, but I would probably just prioritize other fighters over them. Midna and Miis were a case of not knowing much about them in advance. King K. Rool and Ridley are ignored because I’d prefer to see them as bosses. I like the idea of Villager, but Villager would just be like Wario in Melee where I had other priorities, and like with Zelda in Melee, it’s probably a case where I’d need to think about it more. Pac-Man is more of a case that I don’t want to overextend myself with third party fighters.
Based on my roster, Krystal and Isaac would join somehow, and Ice Climbers are gone.
Zelda helps Kirby fight Petey in Midair Stadium before sacrificing herself to save Peach. She’d be revived at the same time Luigi and Ness were.
I’ll just say that Isaac joins Lucas and Pokemon Trainer while entering The Ruins.
I’ll say have Krystal freed with Peach at the Halberd.
This means Meta Knight is the only character in Glacial Peak.
K. Rool would take Rayquaza’s spot as the boss in the Lake.
Starter Characters: :4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4dk::4diddy::4yoshi::4wario2::4littlemac::4link::4ganondorf::4zelda::4tlink::4samus::4zss::4pit::4palutena::4myfriends::4robinm::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4fox:(Krystal):4ness::4pikachu::4charizard::4lucario::4greninja::4villager::4olimar::4shulk::4pacman::4megaman::4sonic::4mii:
Secret: :4gaw::4rob::rosalina::4marth::4falcon::4falco::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo:(Isaac):4wiifit::4drmario::4darkpit::4lucina:
DLC: :4duckhunt::4bowserjr::4feroy::4lucas::4ryu::4cloud::4bayonetta:
Veterans
In terms of cuts, I assume that it would be the same as what we actually had for the same reasons also (Snake, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Lucas, Dixie Kong). Because of this, I have one extra veteran, meaning that newcomer will be removed or pushed to DLC.
Newcomers
At this point, the surface has been mostly scratched at this point for Nintendo characters.
Wii Fit Trainer feels like a cool surprise.
The puppet and weapon durability gimmicks seem cool, so I’d still add Rosalina and Robin.
Mewtwo is a weird case where I still want it in base game, which probably means that Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr. get pushed to the free bonus fighters.
For the clones, it’s fine as is as.
I guess it‘s now time to address why I didn’t consider/add any alternatives. In the case of a Legend of Zelda or Rhythm Heaven newcomer, they weren’t a high enough priority for me to add. Ridley would be a case where I’d want to make sure he is done properly. King K. Rool‘s popularity wasn’t known for the developers at the time. Chrom is more of a case where he’d still take more time to work on than Lucina even if I still didn’t have the concern to split the Samuses or Zelda.
DLC
Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr. probably would’ve been the bonus fighters as they were strongly considered for development.
Bayonetta was requested, and she helps bridge the gap between Sega and Nintendo.
Corrin is gone because I aleady had 2 bonus fighters, so there’s no room for her/him.
For Ultimate, I’ll just address the changes that I make and substitutions for other fighters
Please refer to my For roster for the first part.
The returning fighters left to add are :ultpichu::ultyounglink::ultsnake::ultpokemontrainer:(Dixie Kong)
Base Newcomers: :ultkrool::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultincineroar::ultisabelle::ultalph::ultinkling::ultken::ultsimon::ultrichter:
DLC: :ultpiranha::ultjoker::ulthero2::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbyleth::ultminmin:ultsteve: Tidus(:ultmythra::ultpyra:):ultkazuya::ultsora:
I really have no objections with base fighters that we actually got as they were mostly requested, relevant, and/or, historically significant. Alph would be promoted to a separate fighter using Daisy’s development time.
Piranha Plant is a funny choice, and it is historically significant, so I’m fine keeping it even if it’s technically the ninth Mario fighter.
Tidus is in place of Sephiroth due to bias.
All of the other DLC fighters are fine given that they were suggested by Nintendo.
Overall, these decisions are almost identical to what actually happened, and I’m only missing Ice Climbers, Sheik, Wolf, Corrin, and Sephiorth here.

For fun, I decided to do this once from scratch and once with retrospect (this one is just a for fun thought exercise), assuming that I’m only responsible for the character selection process.
Starter: :mario64::dk64::yoshi64::link64::samus64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64:
Secret: :luigi64::falcomelee::warioc::ness64:
I don’t think that I would’ve come up with Falcon or Jigglypuff at the time, and I think that Falco would’ve been the second clone that I could’ve conceived of. Wario is a case where Wario Land is a major franchise, and he can easily reuse Mario’s assets.
Melee
Starter: :mariomelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::dkmelee::linkmelee::ganondorfmelee::samusmelee::pit::kirbymelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee:
Secret: :luigimelee::drmario::ultdaisy::warioc::younglinkmelee::marthmelee::roymelee::dedede::falcomelee::pichumelee::mewtwomelee:
In terms of the newcomers, Bowser, Peach, Marth, King Dedede, and Mewtwo are in for similar reasons to my roster above. Pit is here mostly to add another franchise, he interested me more than the relevant choices.
Jigglypuff is here as it’s easy to develop, and it was relevant at the time.
I don’t think that I would’ve come up with a moveset for Zelda, so Ganondorf is added as a unique fighter instead.
Daisy is an alt promotion like Dr. Mario.
Brawl
Starter: :mario2::luigi2::bowser2::peach::dk2::diddy::yoshi2::warioc::link2::ganondorf::samus2::pit::ike::kirby2::metaknight::fox:(Krystal):ness2::pikachu2::4villager::olimar::snake::sonic:
Secret: (Toad):ultdaisy:(Dixie Kong):rob::zelda::toonlink::marth::falco::lucas::mewtwopm::jigglypuff::lucario:(Isaac)
Cuts for the clones are the same as they’d be low priority. In this roster, Mewtwo stays as the fifth cut, assuming that it is problematic to bring back.
I don’t think that I could’ve come up with Zero Suit Samus.
I don’t think that I’d know how to make Pokemon Trainer work, so Red cheers Pikachu in the background.
R.O.B. probably would be decided later in development because of Mario Kart DS.
Zelda joins as she missed the cut in this alternate Melee. I think I might‘ve considered a transformation gimmick with Tetra, but Zelda would take her Twilight Princess design, making Tetra (and somewhat Sheik) unviable.
I think there’s room to prioritize Krystal over Wolf.
Isaac seems like a fun choice.
Villager is from a prominent series, and I think that I could make something work.
Toad is a prominent Mario character that was presumably requested before in Melee.
I think Diddy and Dixie Kong would‘ve been worked on, and they’ll be split and separate fighters.
For
Starter: :4mario::4luigi::4bowser::4peach:(Toad):4dk::4diddy::4yoshi::4wario2::4littlemac::4link::4ganondorf::4zelda::4tlink::4samus::ultridley::4pit::4palutena::4myfriends::4robinm::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4fox:(Krystal):4ness::4pikachu::4charizard::4lucario::4greninja::4villager::4olimar::4pacman::4megaman::4sonic::4mii:
Secret: :ultdaisy::rosalina::4drmario::4rob::4darkpit::4marth::4lucina::4falco::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo:(Isaac):4shulk:
DLC: Barista Dog:4feroy::4lucas::4ryu::4cloud::4bayonetta::4corrin:
Cuts (barring the absent Ivysaur and Squirtle) are the same as the alternate roster above for similar reasons.
I think that Mewtwo would’ve been a bigger priority for me to bring back.
Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt were things that I’d probably not know how to make work.
Rosalina and Robin are interesting to me even if I don’t necessarily use the Luma and weapon durability gimmicks respectively.
I don’t know how Miis would work, but they’re in.
I’d probably be pressured to add Charizard at this point.
Bowser Jr. is just not a high priority for me.
Ridley was requested, so I could see myself add him.
Clones are fine as is, but there should be enough room for Alph, especially as I don’t need to split Samus, Zelda, or Charizard, and Ice Climbers don’t exist.
Barista Dog is the bonus DLC so that Rhythm Heaven gets a fighter.
I still kept Corrin because (s)he was chosen later, and it seems more logical to promote Fates than Xenoblade X.
Ultimate (just addons)
Returnees: :ultpichu::ultyounglink::ultsnake:(Dixie Kong)
Newcomers Base Game: :ultbowserjr::ultkrool::ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultincineroar::ultisabelle::ultinkling:(Octoling):ultken::ultsimon::ultrichter:
Fighter’s Passes: :ultjoker::ulthero2::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbyleth::ultminmin:ultsteve:Tidus(:ultmythra::ultpyra:):ultkazuya::ultsora:
Incinoroar is just a placeholder as I don’t know if I would prioritize it or Decidueye.
I feel like a Mario newcomer would’ve been big requests, and I went with Bowser Jr. as I feel like the Waluigi requests were escalated by Everyone is Here. I don’t think there is anyone else I’d really want to add as a seventh unique newcomer or the bonus DLC fighter.
Octoling is the extra echo.
I’d prefer Tidus over Sephiroith, so I’d try to add him if possible.
I’d try to reach out and get Sora.
Starter: :mariomelee::dkmelee::linkmelee::samusmelee::yoshimelee::kirbymelee::foxmelee::pikachumelee:
Secret::luigimelee::marthmelee::falconmelee::nessmelee:
While Star Fox does become irrelevant, the series was popular then, and I want to have a mire diverse roster series wise instead of adding Wario. I’d like to keep Jigglypuff, but I excluded it as this is the lightning rod of original 12 debates. While Jigglypuff was a Kirby semi-clone, I think that I could create a mostly unique fighter from development time originally allocated to Bowser, King Dedede, and Jigglypuff. Marth would be the twelfth fighter given that Fire Emblem eventually becomes a major franchise.
Melee
Starter::mariomelee::bowsermelee::peachmelee::dkmelee::linkmelee::sheikmelee::samusmelee::falconmelee::yoshimelee::kirbymelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::pikachumelee::icsmelee:
Secret::luigimelee::ultdaisy::younglinkmelee::ganondorfmelee::marthmelee::roymelee::falcomelee::warioc::jigglypuffmelee::mewtwomelee::pichumelee::gawmelee:
From the unique fighters, the only things that I questioned were Zelda/Sheik and Mewtwo. The transformation gimmick was cool, but as it does go away with the 3DS limitations, it may be better to have two separate newcomers. Assuming that removing the transformation gimmick frees up time, I’ll keep Sheik out of preference and to help flesh out Zelda for Brawl. In Zelda’s place, I added Wario as he was considered for Melee, and he received a ton of votes. I questioned Mewtwo because I considered to have another pokemon get dropped for Brawl and have Mewtwo join then. The main ones that I considered were Charizard and Meowth. The main
Ice Climbers are weird because of their lack of legacy and their demanding resources, but I think the idea is cool.
Jigglypuff is in as there isn’t time to add a unique newcomer in Marth‘s place.
In place of Dr. Mario, I add Daisy as she’s has a bigger legacy down the line.
Clone Ganondorf stays as the Ultimate moveset is popular.
Brawl
Starter: :mario2::luigi2::bowser2::peach::dk2::diddy::link2::zelda::samus2::ike::yoshi2::kirby2::metaknight::dedede::fox:Krystal:ness2::pikachu2::charizard::popo::pit::olimar::snake::sonic:
Unlockable: :ultdaisy:Dixie Kong:ganondorf::toonlink::ultridley::marth::falcon::falco::warioc::lucas::lucario:Isaac:gw::rob:
In terms of cuts, Jigglypuff leaves, and Daisy stays as Daisy is easier to keep, and she has established herself as a recurring spinoff character at this point.
For newcomers, Ridley would take Wario’s initial spot, knowing that I’d be pressured to add him in anyway.
Like with Sheik, I’m going to exclude Zero Suit Samus as she does get split up from Samus in For. In her place, I’ll add Krystal as she was a popular character in the Star Fox series during Brawl’s development.
While I like Ivysaur and Squirtle, they are also being cut as I’ve already cut Sheik and Zero Suit Samus, and Red/Leaf will now be cheering behind Pikachu for Brawl, Wii U (4 or fewer fighters), and Ultimate. As they’re gone, I’ll give Ganondorf his Ultimate moveset plus Dead Man’s Volley in place of Warlock Punch, and Isaac will join.
With Krystal in Brawl, I‘ll replace Wolf with Dixie Kong.
For
Starter: :4mario::4luigi::4bowser::4peach::4dk::4diddy::4littlemac::4link::4tlink::4zelda::4samus::ultridley::4myfriends::4robinm::4yoshi::4kirby::4metaknight::4dedede::4fox:Krystal:4ness::4pikachu::4charizard::4lucario::4greninja::4pit::4palutena::4villager::4olimar::4shulk::4pacman::4megaman::4sonic::4mii:
Unlockable: :rosalina::ultdaisy::4drmario::4ganondorf::4sheik::4darkpit::4marth::ultchrom::4falcon::4falco::4wario2::4mewtwo:Isaac:4gaw::4wiifit:
DLC: :4duckhunt::4jigglypuff::4lucas::4ryu::4cloud::4bayonetta::4corrin:
In addition to Ice Climbers, Lucas, Dixie Kong, and Snake, I decided to drop R.O.B. as I have two other surprise characters joining.
I wanted to bring back Mewtwo in base game as it was requested.
Sheik is here because I originally wanted “him” in Melee, and this is “his” best opportunity.
In the end, Duck Hunt is pushed to DLC as he’s the second surprise fighter, and Bowser Jr. is pushed Ultimate as he is popular enough.
With retrospect, I think that I’d be able to justify Chrom over Lucina.
Jigglypuff takes Roy’s spot for DLC as the Melee vet. Corrin is added as Elma probably would to having both Fire Emblem and Xenoblade as scapegoats, and Inkling joins in Ultimate to build hype for that game.
Ultimate:
Returning Veterans: :ulticeclimbers::ultpichu::ultyounglink::ultroy::ultsnake::ultrob:Dixie Kong
Newcomers::ultbowserjr::ultkrool::ultdarksamus::ultlucina::ultincineroar::ultisabelle::ultalph::ultinkling::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultken:
DLC: :ultpiranha::ultjoker::ulthero2::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbyleth::ultminmin:ultsteve:Tidus(:ultmythra::ultpyra:):ultkazuya::ultsora:
Daisy and Chrom’s echo slots repectively go to Alph and Lucina.
Bowser Jr. would presumably be requested.
I just prefer Tidus over Sephiroth.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I’ll for fun also do a list of changes for game modes and stages for my main roster.
Single Player
1P-Game (I’d have it like SSB’s 1P game, but the order would be debut order, so this is like all star mode
Order: Mario, Giant DK, Link, Break the Targets, Samus, Yoshi, Kirby Team, Board the Platforms, Fox, Pikachu, Metal Mario, Race to the finish, Fighting Polygon Team, Master Hand).
Break the Targets
Board the Platforms
Race to the Finish
Training
Multiplayer
Vs. Mode (Time and stock)
Stages (unlockable in italic)
Mushroom Kingdom
(Above) Peach’s Castle
Kongo Jungle
Hyrule Castle
Brinstar (Renamed Zebes)
Super Happy Tree
Green Greens (Renamed Dream Land)
Great Fox (Renamed Sector Z)
Saffron City
Metal Cavern (I hope that I‘d be able to make these below available for vs.)
Duel Zone
Final Destination
Single Player
Arcade Mode (Almost identical to Melee’s Classic Mode, but wire frames appear)
Adventure Mode (As Falcon is unlockable, F-Zero Grand Prix is excluded, and Icicle Mountain is replaced with Underworld)).
Event Mode
All-Star
Stadium
Training
Multiplayer
Vs. (minus Bonus Mode)
Tourney
Special Smash
Trophies and the lottery stay
Stages
Mushroom Kingdom 64 (I just prefer this one)
Subcon (Renamed Mushroom Kingdom II)
Bowser’s Castle (A notable location)
Mario Raceway (Mario Kart 64 was huge)
Gangplank Galleon (This is for a more unique setting)
Kongo Falls
Hyrule Castle (My favorite past stage)
Great Bay
Temple
Brinstar
Norfair (This is so I had a different major Metroid area)
Archanea (This would be finished unlike the real game’s): this would be Castle Siege’s second layout
Yoshi’s Island
Yoshi’s Story (E3 Version)
Fountain of Dreams

Halberd (It was a notable location)
Corneria (Smash Remix layout)
Great Fox
Onett
Saffron City
Pokefloats
Pokemon Stadium
Mute City
Big Blue
Underworld
Game & Watch (just renamed Flat Zone)
Metal Cavern
Duel Zone
Final Destination
Single Player
Arcade Mode (Keep it like Melee’s)
Adventure Mode
All-Star Mode
Event Mode
Target Test
Home Run Contest
Mob Smash
Boss Battle
Multiplayer
Vs.
Tourney
Special Smash
6 player Battles (They were in Mob Smash for Melee, so I’d think it’s time. Players 5 and 6 would have purple and orange as their respective colors, being in line with the major traditional color hues).
Vault
Stage Builder
Coin Launcher
Stages
Mushroom Kingdom (6)
Delfino Plaza (6)
Luigi’s Mansion
Rainbow Road DD (This is just a preference for a different Mario Kart stage)
Gangplank Galleon (6)
Oil Drum Alley (This is for setting diversity)
25m (25m is more memorable than 75m)
Hyrule Castle
(6)
Bridge of Eldin (6)
Pirate Ship
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Archanea
Serenes Forest (This would be the Path of Radiance stage)
Yoshi’s Island (6)
Yoshi’s Island Brawl
Fountain of Dreams
City Trial (It seems like a fun idea)
Great Fox
Krazoa Palace (6) (This would give Star Fox a stage not on a ship).
Wario Ware
Pokemon Stadium
Sky Pillar (This gives us a Gen III stage)
Spear Pillar (6)
New Pork City (6)
Mute City
Port Town Aero Dive
Venus Lighthouse
Distant Spring
Game & Watch
Smashville
Icicle Mountain
Skyworld
Pictochat
Wii Menu (This is just to double down on new hardware).
Shadow Moses Island (6)
Green Hill Zone
Metal Cavern
Duel Zone (6)
Final Destination (6)
Waiting Room (6)
3DS
Single Player
Arcade Mode
All-Star
Target Blast
Home Run Contest
Training
Multiplayer
Vs. (5 player compatible, player 5 is purple)
Special Smash
Smash Run
Trophies
Trophy Rush
Wii U
Single Player
Arcade Mode (Similar to 3DS’s)
All-Star
Target Blast
Home Run Contest
Event Mode
Training
Multiplayer
Vs. (8 player compatible, player 5 is purple, player 6 is orange, player 7 is cyan, and player 8 is magenta/rose)
Special Smash
Tourney
Smash Run (this would be done similar to a Mario Kart game where the screens are split. Also, the map is larger in this version)
Tag Team (I don’t plan on adding Master/Crazy orders, so I think I could make this work).
Stage Builder
Trophies
Trophy Rush
Online is fine as it was.
Stages
3DS

3D Land
Rainbow Road 7
Paper Mario
Bowser’s Castle (This is so a different past Mario stage is here)
Gangplank Galleon (Jungle Japes is absent)
Yoshi’s Island Brawl
Wario Ware Inc
Spirit Tracks
Gerudo Valley
Norfair (I swapped this and Brinstar around)
Arena Ferox
Fountain of Dreams (I think this would a good map to have)
Great Fox
Magicant
Unova Pokemon League
Spear Pillar
Mute City SNES
Bomb Reset Forest
Town and City
Boxing Ring
Tomadachi Life
Find Mii
Eryth Sea (I think this would be a cool alternative to Gaur Plain)
Green Hill Zone
Wily Castle
Pac-Maze
Duck Hunt
Balloon Fight
Game & Watch
Living Room
Gameboy (This would be the Gameboy in general)
Metal Cavern
Duel Zone
Final Destination
Wii U
Mushroom Kingdom U
Mario Galaxy (8)
Mario Raceway (This is to have returning Mario stage from Melee)
Mushroom Kingdom (8)
Luigi’s Mansion (8)
Jungle Hijynx
Kongo Jungle (8)
25m (8)
Wooly World
Yoshi’s Island Melee (8)
Gamer
Skyloft
Hyrule Castle (8) (I prefer this over Bridge of Eldin)
Temple (8)
Pyrosphere (8)
Brinstar (8)
Arena Ferox (This map is in both games)
Archanea (8)
Cookie County (This gives us a new Kirby map)
Halberd
Orbital Gate Assault (Condensed)
Smash Remix Corneria
Onett (8)
Khalos Pokemon League
Pokemon Stadium
Big Blue
Tortimer Island (8)
Smashville
Palutena‘s Temple (Reduced) (8)
Skyworld
Garden of Hope (8)
Wuhu Island
Duck Hunt (8)
Boxing Ring (8)
Eryth Sea
Wii Fit Studio
Pilotwings
Egg Carrier (8)
Wiley Castle
Pac-Maze
Duel Zone
Duel Zone Deluxe (this is Small Battlefield)
Final Destination
DLC
Miiverse
(Above) Peach’s Castle (8)
Goldenrod City (8)
Dream Land
Pirate Ship
Mario Maker (8)
Suzaku Castle (8)
Midgar
Umbra Clock Tower (8)
Single Player
Classic Mode (Works like For’s)
Mob Smash (All-Star goes in the order of when characters debuted, even with echoes, and the mode ends when the last fighter is defeated).
Boss Battles
Target Blast (DLC)
Home Run Contest (DLC)
Training
Spirits
World of Light
Mutiplayer
Vs.
Tourney
Special Smash
Squad Strike (there’s more flexibility in the mode in terms of number of lives in elimination and tag team, and tag team works with up to 4 players).
Stage Builder (DLC)
For online, I’d just remove the GSP system and make the options for 1v1, ffa time, and ffa stock tourneys permanent.
I fine with most of the new stages as is, but Northern Cave is replaced with Luca Stadium. I won’t go into returning ones because there’s over 90.

Last edited:

txhy8

Smash Cadet
Here's mine(It's basically a expanded version of each roster)

Smash 64-Mario,Donkey Kong,Link,Samus,Yoshi,Kirby,Fox,Pikachu,Luigi,Ness,Capatin Falcon,Jigglypuff,Bowser,King Dedede,Marth,Mewtwo

Smash Melee-Dr Mario,Mario,Luigi,Peach,Bowser,Yoshi,Wario,Donkey Kong,Samus,Ness,Lucas,Falco,Fox,Capatin Falcon,Kirby,King Dedede,Ice Climbers,Ganondorf,Sheik,Zelda,Link,Young Link,Pichu,Pikachu,Jiggypuff,Mewtwo,Snake,Sonic,Banjo and Kazooie,Pit,Mr Game and Watch,Marth,Roy

Smash Brawl-Mario,Donkey Kong,Link,Samus,Kirby,Fox,Pikachu,Marth,Mr Game and Watch,Sonic,Luigi,Diddy Kong,Zelda,Zero Suit Samus,Meta Knight,Falco,Pokemon Trainer,Ike,Roy,Snake,Peach,Dixie Kong,Sheik,Pit,King Dedede,Kyrstal,Mewtwo,Issac,Dr Mario,Pac Man,Bowser,Wario,Ganondorf,Little Mac,Ice Climbers,Wolf,Lucario,Ness,Young Link,Banjo and Kazooie,Yoshi,Geno,Toon Link,R.O.B,Olimar,Capatin Falcon,Jiggypuff,Lucas,Pichu

Smash 4- Mario,Luigi,Peach,Bowser,Dr Mario,Yoshi,Wario,Geno,Bowser Jr,Rosalina and Luma,Donkey Kong,Diddy Kong,Dixie Kong,King K Rool,Link,Zelda,Impa,Young Link,Sheik,Ganondorf,Toon Link,Samus,Zero Suit Samus,Pit,Paultena,Dark Pit,Marth,Roy,Ike,Robin,Lucinia,Corrin,Kirby,Meta Knight,King Dedede,Fox,Falco,Wolf,Kyrstal,Ness,Lucas,Pikachu,Squritle,Ivvysuar,Charizard,Jiggypuff,Mewtwo,Pichu,Lucario,Zoroak,Gerninja,Mr Game and Watch,Little Mac,Duck Hunt,Popo,R.O.B,Takamaru,Capatin Falcon,Villager,Issac,Olimar,Wii Fit Trainer,Shulk,Pac Man,Snake,Ryu,Mega Man,Sonic,Rayman,Cloud,Banjo and Kazooie,Beyonetta,Mii Fighters

Smash Ultimate-Mario,Dr Mario,Donkey Kong,Funky Kong,Link,Young Link,Samus,Dark Samus,Yoshi,Birdo,Kirby,Fox,Slippy,Pikachu,Raichu,Luigi,Gooigi,Ness,Ninnten,Capatin Falcon,Black Shadow,Jiggypuff,Bowser,Dry Bowser,King Dedede.Marth,Lucinia,Mewtwo,Shadow Mewtwo,Peach,Daisy,Pit,Dark Pit,Ice Climbers,Zelda,Hilda,Sheik,Impa,Falco,Lucas,Ganondorf,Wario,Roy,Chrom,Mr Game and Watch,Sonic,Shadow,Snake,Banjo and Kazooie,Meta Knight,Galata Knight,Issac,Mathew,Zero Suit Samus,Geno,Pac Man,Ms Pac Man,Ike,Black Knight,Pokemon Trainer,Diddy Kong,Dixie Kong,Kyrstal,Little Mac,Glass Joe,Olimar,Alph,Lucario,Zoroak,R.O.B,Wolf,Panther Corseso,Villager,Mega Man,Proto Man,Wii Fit Trainer,Rosalina and Luma,Genrinja,Paultena,Medusa,Rayman,Robin,Sorin,Shulk,Bowser Jr,Duck Hunt,King K Rool,Takamaru,Ryu,Ken,Cloud,Zack,Corrin,Beyonetta,Jeanne,Inkling,Octolings,Ridley,Simon Belmont,Ritcher Belmont,Bandaa Waddle Dee,Elma,Chrous Kids,Mach Rider,Isabelle,Incinaroar,Prinina Plant,Joker,Byleth,Crash Bandicoot,Coco Bandicoot,Hero,Frisk,Terry,MinMin,Steve,Sephroith,Pyra/Mythra,Ryu Haybossa,Doomslayer,Geno,Rayman,Rillaboom,Spyro,Crewmate,Llyoid Irving,Monster Hunter,Travis TouchdownWaluigi,Sora,Master Cheif, Mii Fighters

I know this is a lot of charters way over the limit of charters epxically in Ultimate but i tried my best to be as crazy as humanly possible with these ones

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Here’s something I did a while back:
Starters
  • :mario64:
  • :dk64:
  • :link64:
  • :samus64:
  • :yoshi64:
  • :kirby64:
  • :fox64:
  • :pikachu64:
Unlockables
  • :luigi64: (Stage fought: Peach's Castle)
    • Complete 1P Game as any character
    • Complete Board the Platforms with :mario64:
    • 25 Vs. Matches
  • :ness64: (Stage fought: Dream Land)
    • Complete 1P Game with 3+ lives and no continues
    • 50 Vs. Matches
  • :falcon64: (Stage fought: Planet Zebes)
    • Complete 1P Game within 20 minutes without continues
    • 75 Vs. Matches
  • :052: (Meowth) (Stage fought: Saffron City)
    • Complete Target Test and Board the Platforms as all starters
    • Complete 1P Game as all starters
    • 100 Vs. Matches
Starters
  1. :mariomelee:
  2. :dkmelee:
  3. :linkmelee:
  4. :samusmelee:
  5. :yoshimelee:
  6. :kirbymelee:
  7. :foxmelee:
  8. :pikachumelee:
  9. :nessmelee:
  10. :falconmelee:
  11. :peachmelee:
  12. :bowsermelee:
  13. :icsmelee:
  14. :zeldamelee:/:sheikmelee:
  15. :212: (Scizor)
Unlockables
  1. :luigimelee: (Stage fought: Mushroom Kingdom II)
    • Complete Stage 1 of Adventure Mode with the time ending in a ":X2" in the second's slot, then defeat :luigimelee::peachmelee: in less than a minute and clear the rest of the mode
    • 10 Vs. Matches on Mushroom Kingdom
    • 100 Vs. Matches
  2. :052: (Stage fought: Pokémon Stadium)
    • Complete Event Match #37
    • Summon 100 Poke Ball Pokémon
    • 200 Vs. Matches
  3. Ayumi Tachibana (Stage fought: Onett)
    • Unlock 100 different Trophies
    • 300 Vs. Matches
  4. :falcomelee: (Stage fought: Battlefield)
    • Clear 100-Man Melee
    • 400 Vs. Matches
  5. :marthmelee: (Stage fought: Fountain of Dreams)
    • Clear Classic or Adventure Mode as all starters without continuing
    • Play Vs. Matches at least once with all 15 starters
    • 500 Vs. Matches
  6. :younglinkmelee: (Stage fought: Great Bay)
    • Clear Classic or Adventure Mode with 20 characters
    • Clear Classic Mode as :linkmelee: on Hard+
    • 600 Vs. Matches
  7. :ganondorfmelee: (Stage fought: Hyrule Temple)
    • Clear Event Match #29
    • Clear Adventure Mode as :linkmelee::younglinkmelee::zeldamelee: on Hard+
    • 700 Vs. Matches
  8. :mewtwomelee: (Stage fought: Final Destination)
    • Play for a total of 15 hours
    • Summon a Legendary Pokémon 75 times
    • 800 Vs. Matches
  9. :roymelee: (Stage fought: Hyrule Temple)
    • Clear Classic or Adventure Mode as :marthmelee: on Hard+ without continuing
    • Clear every bonus game in Classic Mode as :marthmelee:
    • 900 Vs. Matches
  10. :gawmelee: (Stage fought: Flat Zone)
    • Clear Classic or Adventure Mode as all other characters
    • Clear Target Test as all other characters
    • Clear 50 Event Matches
    • 1000 Vs. Matches
Starters
  1. :mario2:
  2. :dk2:
  3. :link2:
  4. :samus2:/:zerosuitsamus:
  5. :yoshi2:
  6. :kirby2:
  7. :fox:
  8. :pikachu2:
  9. :peach:
  10. :bowser2:
  11. :popo:
  12. :sheilda:
  13. :metaknight:
  14. :pit:
  15. :wario:
  16. :snake:
  17. :ike:
  18. :charizard:
  19. :diddy:
  20. :lucas:
  21. :dedede:
  22. :olimar:
Unlockables
  1. :luigi2: (Stage fought: Luigi's Mansion)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear Classic Mode with no continues
    • 100 Vs. Matches
  2. :ness2: (Stage fought: Onett)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Reflect 10 projectiles
    • 200 Vs. Matches
  3. :falcon:(Stage fought: :porttown:)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear Classic mode on Normal+ within 12 minutes
    • 300 Vs. Matches
  4. :052: (Stage fought: :ps2:)
    • After beating SSE, head to the Ruined Zoo and run away from the Pig King Statue without losing a life; you'll fight Meowth instead of Porky, and winning ends the level there
    • Clear 20 Event Matches
    • 400 Vs. Matches
  5. :falco: (Stage fought: Corneria)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear 100-Man Brawl
    • 500 Vs. Matches
  6. :marth: (Stage fought: :castlesiege:)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear Classic Mode on Normal+ as any character
    • 600 Vs. Matches
  7. :ganondorf: (Stage fought: :eldin:)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear Classic Mode as :link2::zelda: on Hard+
    • 700 Vs. Matches
  8. :gw: (Stage fought: :flatzone2:)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear Target Smash with 20+ characters
    • 800 Vs. Matches
  9. :sonic: (Stage fought: :greenhill:)
    • Defeat Tabuu in SSE
    • Clear Classic Mode with 10+ characters
    • Play 10 hours of Vs. Matches
    • 90p Vs. Matches
  10. :lucario: (Stage fought: :spearpillar:)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Complete Target Smash on all difficulties with any character
    • Get 5 KO's in Cruel Brawl
    • 1000 Vs. Matches
  11. :rob: (Stage fought: Mario Bros.)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Collect 200 different Trophies
    • 1100 Vs. Matches
  12. :toonlink: (Stage fought: :pirateship:)
    • After beating SSE, head to the Lake; you'll fight Toon Link instead of Rayquaza, and winning ends the level there
    • Clear Classic Mode as :link2::zelda::ganondorf: without continuing
    • 1200 Vs. Matches
  13. :wolf: (Stage fought: :lylat:)
    • After beating SSE, head to the end of the Glacier without losing a life; you'll fight Wolf instead of Meta Knight/Lucario
    • Clear Boss Battles on any difficulty
    • 1300 Vs. Matches
Starters
  1. :4mario:
  2. :4dk:
  3. :4link:
  4. :4samus:
  5. :4yoshi:
  6. :4kirby:
  7. :4fox:
  8. :4pikachu:
  9. :4luigi:
  10. :4falcon:
  11. :4peach:
  12. :4bowser:
  13. :4sheik:
  14. :4zelda:
  15. :4marth:
  16. :4pit:
  17. :4wario:
  18. :4myfriends:
  19. :4charizard:
  20. :4diddy:
  21. :4sonic:
  22. :4dedede:
  23. :4olimar:
  24. Snivy
  25. :4villager:
  26. :4megaman:
  27. :4wiifit:
  28. :4littlemac:
  29. :4mii::4miif:
    • :4miibrawl:
    • :4miisword:
    • :4miigun:
  30. :4palutena:
  31. :4robinm:
  32. :4shulk:
Unlockables
  1. :4ness: (Stage fought: Magicant / Onett)
    • Reflect 10 projectiles
    • Clear Classic Mode on 2.0+
    • 10 Vs. Matches
  2. :052: (Stage fought: Unova Pokémon League / Kalos Pokémon League)
    • Defeat 100 enemies in Smash Run (3DS only)
    • Collect at least 50 different pieces of equippment
    • 20 Vs. Matches
  3. :212: (Stage fought: Prism Tower / Kalos Pokémon League)
    • Summon a Poké Ball Pokémon 100 times
    • Summon a Master Ball Pokémon 50 times
    • 30 Vs. Matches
  4. :4falco: (Stage fought: Corneria / Orbital Gate Assault)
    • Clear 100-Man Smash
    • 40 Vs. Matches
  5. :4ganondorf: (Stage fought: Gerudo Valley / Skyloft)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4link: :4zelda::4sheik: on 5.5+
    • 50 Vs. Matches
  6. :4gaw: (Stage fought: :flatzone2:)
    • 60 Vs. Matches
  7. :4metaknight: (Stage fought: Dream Land GB/ :halberd:)
    • Get 5 KO's in Cruel Smash
    • 70 Vs. Matches
  8. :4zss: (Stage fought: Brinstar / Pyrosphere)
    • Get 30 KO's with Samus's Final Smash
    • Defeat Ridley on the Pyrosphere stage (Wii U only)
    • 80 Vs. Matches
  9. :4lucario: (Stage fought: Unova Pokémon League / Hyrule Temple)
    • Get 30 combined KO's with :4charizard:'s and :212:'s Final Smashes
    • Outlast to up to 300% damage
    • 90 Vs. Matches
  10. :rosalina: (Stage fought: Golden Plains / Mario Galaxy)
    • Get a successful recovery as :4littlemac: 5 times
    • 100 Vs. Matches
  11. :4greninja:(Stage fought: Prism Tower / Kalos Pokémon League)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4charizard: and Snivy on 6.0+
    • Clear a Final Battle in Smash Run without taking damage
    • 125 Vs. Matches
  12. :4darkpit: (Stage fought: Reset Bomb Forest / Palutena's Temple)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4pit: and :4palutena: on 5.5+
    • 150 Vs. Matches
  13. :4pacman: (Stage fought: PAC-MAZE / PAC-LAND)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4mario::4megaman::4sonic: on 5.5+
    • Eat 50 Ghosts on PAC-MAZE (3DS only)
    • 200 Vs. Matches
  14. :chrom: (Stage fought: Arena Ferox / Coliseum)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4marth: on 5.5+
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4robinm: on 5.5+
    • 300 Vs. Matches
  15. :4bowserjr:(Stage fought: 3D Land / Delfino Plaza)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4bowser: on 6.0+
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4peach: on 6.0+
    • 400 Vs. Matches
  16. :4duckhunt: (Stage fought: Duck Hunt)
    • Clear Target Blast as all other characters
    • Clear Classic Mode as all other characters on 6.0+
    • Unlock every Masterpiece (Wii U only)
    • 500 Vs. Matches
DLC Pack 1
  1. :4mewtwo:
  2. Ayumi Tachibana
    • Stage: Fourside
DLC Pack 2
  1. :4ryu:
    • Stage: Suzaku Castle
  2. :4lucas:
    • Stage: New Pork City (Wii U only)
DLC Pack 3
  1. :4cloud:
    • Stage: Midgar
  2. :4feroy:
DLC Pack 4
  1. :azura: (Azura)
    • Stage: Opera House (3DS only)
  2. :4bayonetta:
    • Stage Umbra Clock Tower
  • 1. :ultmario:
  • 2. :ultdk:
  • 3. :ultlink:
  • 4. :ultsamus:
    • 4ε. :ultdarksamus:
  • 5. :ultyoshi:
  • 6. :ultkirby:
  • 7. :ultfox:
  • 8. :ultpikachu:
  • 9. :ultluigi:
  • 10. :ultness:
  • 11. :ultfalcon:
  • 12. :052:
Melee
  • 13. :ultpeach:
    • 13ε. :ultdaisy:
  • 14. :ultbowser:
  • 15. :ulticeclimbers:
  • 16. :ultsheik:
  • 17. :ultzelda:
  • 18.:212:
  • 19. Ayumi Tachibana
  • 20. :ultfalco:
  • 21. :ultmarth:
  • 22. :ultyounglink:
  • 23. :ultganondorf:
  • 24. :ultmewtwo:
  • 25. :ultroy:
  • 26. :ultgnw:
Brawl
  • 27. :ultmetaknight:
  • 28. :ultpit:
    • 28ε. :ultdarkpit:
  • 29. :ultzss:
  • 30. :ultwario:
  • 31. :ultsnake:
  • 32. :ultike:
    • 32ε. :ultchrom:
  • 33. :ultcharizard:
  • 34. :ultdiddy:
  • 35.:ultlucas:
  • 36. :ultsonic:
  • 37. :ultkingdedede:
  • 38.:ultolimar:
  • 39. :ultlucario:
  • 40. :ultrob:
  • 41. :ulttoonlink:
  • 42. :ultwolf:
Smash 4
  • 43. Snivy
  • 44. :ultvillager:
  • 45. :ultmegaman:
  • 46. :ultwiifittrainer:
  • 47. :ultrosalina:
  • 48. :ultlittlemac:
  • 49. :ultgreninja:
  • :ultmiifighters:
    • 50. :ultbrawler:
    • 51. :ultswordfighter:
    • 52. :ultgunner:
  • 53. :ultpalutena:
  • 54. :ultpacman:
  • 55. :ultrobin:
  • 56. :ultshulk:
  • 57. :ultbowserjr:
  • 58. :ultduckhunt:
  • 59. :ultryu:
    • 59ε. :ultken: (Echo)
  • 60. :ultcloud:
  • 61. :azura:
  • 62. :ultbayonetta:
Newcomers
  1. :ultmario:
  2. :ultdk:
  3. :ultlink:
  4. :ultsamus:
  5. :ultyoshi:
  6. :ultkirby:
  7. :ultfox:
  8. :ultpikachu:
  9. :ultluigi:
  10. :ultness:
  11. :ultfalcon:
  12. :052:
  13. :ultinkling:
  14. :ultsimon:
  15. Crash
  16. :ultridley:
  17. :ultkrool:
  18. :ultisabelle:
  19. Solgaleo
  20. Bandana Waddle Dee
  21. :ultmiifighters:
  • 71. Sakura Shinguji
    • Stage: Grand Imperial Theater
  • 72. :ulthero:
    • Stage: Yggdrasil's Altar
  • 73. :ultbanjokazooie:
    • Stage: Spiral Mountain
  • 74-75. :ultpyra:/Mythra
    • Stage: Cloud Sea of Alrest
  • 76. :ult_terry:
    • Stage: King of Fighters Stadium

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
64:
:mario64::dk64::link64::samus64::yoshi64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64::luigi64::ness64::falcon64: :marthmelee:
Cuts: Jigglypuff (replaced by Marth)

Melee:
:mariomelee::dkmelee::linkmelee::samusmelee::yoshimelee::kirbymelee::foxmelee::pikachumelee::luigimelee::nessmelee::falconmelee: :marthmelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee::dedede:(:sheikmelee:/:zeldamelee:):pichumelee::falcomelee::mewtwomelee::ganondorfmelee:*(Black Shadow):roymelee::gawmelee:

Cuts: Ice Climbers (replaced by Dedede), Dr. Mario, Young Link, Falcondorf
Some notes: Since Marth debuted in 64, Ganondorf debuts as a unique newcomer in his stead. Combined with Young Link and Dr. Mario getting axed, that means there's room for 3 brand new clones... And I decided to add one in the form of Black Shadow as a Falcon clone. I'm not sure who to add for the other 2, so their slots will be left open for now. Also I really went back and forth on who to add over the Ice Climbers and ended up going for Dedede, since he's Sakurai's character and feels like a pretty glaring omission from the roster.

Brawl:
:mario2::dk2::link2::samus2::yoshi2::kirby2::fox::pikachu2::luigi2::ness2::falcon::marth::peach::bowser2::dedede::sheilda::falco::ganondorf:(Black Shadow):gw::metaknight::pit::warioc:(Isaac):snake::ike::pt:(:squirtle:/:ivysaur:/:charizard:):diddy::lucas::sonic: :4littlemac: :olimar::lucario::toonlink::wolf:(Dixie Kong)
Cuts: Zero Suit Samus, R.O.B.
Some notes: Adding Dedede in Melee left an open slot for a newcomer in Brawl, which results in 3 total slots being open after the cuts I made (no offense to ZSS fans but I genuinely think she's the stupidest choice in Smash history even if she's fun to play as). Isaac was a no-brainer since Brawl was when he was the most relevant, but the other two were a little harder for me to choose. Little Mac feels like a pretty obvious choice, and I decided to end things off with Dixie as a semi-clone of Diddy, since we know for a fact she was planned to be a tag team with Diddy, and I feel like outright scrapping her was a huge waste since she could easily stand on her own.
I considered having Pokémon trainer's team comprise of Mudkip, Grovyle, and Blaziken, since Gen 3 was pretty relevant at the time and never got a fighter (Blaziken would even coincidentally fit Sm4sh's heavy Mega Evolution push), but ultimately decided that the Kanto starters were too iconic to ignore, especially Charizard. Mewtwo, Roy, Pichu are still cut in this alternate timeline, same with the other clones, although like Ganondorf before him, Black Shadow returns with a few changes from his Melee incarnation.

Sm4sh:
:4mario::4dk::4link::4samus::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4luigi::4ness::4falcon::4marth::4peach::4bowser::4dedede::4zelda::4sheik::4falco::4ganondorf:(Black Shadow):4gaw::4metaknight::4pit::4wario2:(Isaac):4myfriends::4charizard::4diddy::4sonic: :4littlemac: :4olimar::4lucario::4tlink:(Dixie Kong):4villager::4megaman::ultkrool::4greninja::4palutena::4pacman::4robinm::4shulk:(Bandana Dee):4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4lucina::4darkpit::4alph::4miibrawl::4miisword::ultgunner:
DLC: :4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu::4cloud:(dear god ANYONE but corrin):4bayonetta:
Cuts: Wii Fit Trainer, Corrin
Some notes: Sadly, there are still some veterans left behind. I decided to add King K. Rool in this game since I wanted to make room for a certain other popular character in the next game's base roster, but I'm not entirely sure about Bandana Dee since he wasn't as prominent as he's today at the time the base roster was decided. Also, since Dr. Mario never existed in this version, Alph gets promoted into a clone in his stead.
As for DLC, I kept it mostly the same with the exception of deleting Corrin from existence as I despise that character. I don't mind promotional picks, but Corrin put a permanent stain on Fire Emblem's representation in Smash that led to many people outright refusing to give it a try. Doesn't help that I hate the character outside of the context of Smash as well as the game they're from. I can't think of a better promotional pick, so just pick whoever you want that was relevant at the time, I genuinely do not care.

Ultimate:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultdarksamus: :ultyoshi: :ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultkingdedede:(:ultsheik:/:ultzelda:):ultpichu::ultfalco::ultmewtwo::ultganondorf:(Black Shadow):ultroy: :ultchrom: :ultgnw::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultwario:(Isaac):ultsnake::ultike::ultpokemontrainer::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic::ultlittlemac::ultolimar::ultalph::ultlucario::ulttoonlink::ultwolf:(Dixie Kong):ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultkrool::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultrobin::ultshulk:(Bandana Dee):ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultken::ultcloud:(Unknown):ultbayonetta::ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::geno::ultisabelle: (Decidueye)
DLC: :waluigirose::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbyleth::ultminmin:ultsteve::ultsephiroth:(:ultpyra:/:ultmythra:):ultkazuya:(Phoenix Wright)
Cuts: Incineroar, Piranha Plant
Some notes: Pretty self explanatory, I would say. I moved King K. Rool to Sm4sh so that I could add Geno here instead, and replaced Incineroar with Decidueye because I prefer Decidueye.
As for the DLC characters, I like all of them, but I like Piranha Plant the least, so I decided to go for a character whose inclusion would cause less vitriol overall with Waluigi, and picked Phoenix Wright as CP11.

This was way harder than I thought it'd be.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
^ Replace your Unknown slot for Crash. Solid win right there

Although how would Black Shadow be a clone of Ganondorf when they're both slow and use power moves?

Jondolio

Smash Hero
^ Replace your Unknown slot for Crash. Solid win right there

Although how would Black Shadow be a clone of Ganondorf when they're both slow and use power moves?
Crash wasn't relevant in Sm4sh nor is he first party so I can't really justify putting him in. If anything I'd go for Rayman.

Ganondorf is a unique character and Black Shadow is a clone of Captain Falcon, similar to the Ganondorf we have now.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I'm redoin this, my previous take was doo-doo.

Smash 64:

BEGONE
  1. Ness
  2. Captain Falcon
  3. Jigglypuff
  4. Luigi
COMMENCE
  1. Wario
  2. Paula
  3. Muddy Mole
  4. Duck Hunt
Wario would be a starter character, pushing Samus to unlockable status.

Melee:

BEGONE
  1. Sheik
  2. Young Link
  3. Marth
  4. Roy
COMMENCE
  1. Diddy Kong
  2. Funky Kong
  3. King Dedede
  4. Ness
Dedede and Diddy are unique. Paula is pushed to unlockable while Ness is a starter. Zelda is alone.

Brawl:

BEGONE
  1. ZSS
  2. Ivysaur
  3. Charizard
  4. Lucario
  5. Ike
  6. Pit
  7. Snake
  8. Lucas
COMMENCE

1. Pac-Man
  2. Jill & Drill Dozer
  3. Waluigi
  4. Kumatora
  5. K. Rool
  6. Onix
  7. Rampardos
  8. Daisy
  9. Ridley
  10. Little Mac
  11. The Amazon
Squirtle is alone, 3 extra newcomers because of Diddy, Dedede, and Wario. None are clones.

I'll get around to 3DS, Wii U, SSBU, and their respective DLC later.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Starters
  • :mario64:
  • :dk64:
  • :link64:
  • :samus64:
  • :yoshi64:
  • :kirby64:
  • :fox64:
  • :pikachu64:
Unlockables
  • :luigi64: (Stage fought: Peach's Castle)
    • Complete 1P Game as any character
    • Complete Board the Platforms with :mario64:
    • 25 Vs. Matches
  • :ness64: (Stage fought: Dream Land)
    • Complete 1P Game with 3+ lives and no continues
    • 50 Vs. Matches
  • :falcon64: (Stage fought: Planet Zebes)
    • Complete 1P Game within 20 minutes without continues
    • 75 Vs. Matches
  • :052: (Meowth) (Stage fought: Saffron City)
    • Complete Target Test and Board the Platforms as all starters
    • Complete 1P Game as all starters
    • 100 Vs. Matches
Starters
  1. :mariomelee:
  2. :dkmelee:
  3. :linkmelee:
  4. :samusmelee:
  5. :yoshimelee:
  6. :kirbymelee:
  7. :foxmelee:
  8. :pikachumelee:
  9. :nessmelee:
  10. :falconmelee:
  11. :peachmelee:
  12. :bowsermelee:
  13. :icsmelee:
  14. :zeldamelee:/:sheikmelee:
  15. :212: (Scizor)
Unlockables
  1. :luigimelee: (Stage fought: Mushroom Kingdom II)
    • Complete Stage 1 of Adventure Mode with the time ending in a ":X2" in the second's slot, then defeat :luigimelee::peachmelee: in less than a minute and clear the rest of the mode
    • 10 Vs. Matches on Mushroom Kingdom
    • 100 Vs. Matches
  2. :052: (Stage fought: Pokémon Stadium)
    • Complete Event Match #37
    • Summon 100 Poke Ball Pokémon
    • 200 Vs. Matches
  3. Ayumi Tachibana (Stage fought: Onett)
    • Unlock 100 different Trophies
    • 300 Vs. Matches
  4. :falcomelee: (Stage fought: Battlefield)
    • Clear 100-Man Melee
    • 400 Vs. Matches
  5. :marthmelee: (Stage fought: Fountain of Dreams)
    • Clear Classic or Adventure Mode as all starters without continuing
    • Play Vs. Matches at least once with all 15 starters
    • 500 Vs. Matches
  6. :younglinkmelee: (Stage fought: Great Bay)
    • Clear Classic or Adventure Mode with 20 characters
    • Clear Classic Mode as :linkmelee: on Hard+
    • 600 Vs. Matches
  7. :ganondorfmelee: (Stage fought: Hyrule Temple)
    • Clear Event Match #29
    • Clear Adventure Mode as :linkmelee::younglinkmelee::zeldamelee: on Hard+
    • 700 Vs. Matches
  8. :mewtwomelee: (Stage fought: Final Destination)
    • Play for a total of 15 hours
    • Summon a Legendary Pokémon 75 times
    • 800 Vs. Matches
  9. :roymelee: (Stage fought: Hyrule Temple)
    • Clear Classic or Adventure Mode as :marthmelee: on Hard+ without continuing
    • Clear every bonus game in Classic Mode as :marthmelee:
    • 900 Vs. Matches
  10. :gawmelee: (Stage fought: Flat Zone)
    • Clear Classic or Adventure Mode as all other characters
    • Clear Target Test as all other characters
    • Clear 50 Event Matches
    • 1000 Vs. Matches
Starters
  1. :mario2:
  2. :dk2:
  3. :link2:
  4. :samus2:/:zerosuitsamus:
  5. :yoshi2:
  6. :kirby2:
  7. :fox:
  8. :pikachu2:
  9. :peach:
  10. :bowser2:
  11. :popo:
  12. :sheilda:
  13. :metaknight:
  14. :pit:
  15. :wario:
  16. :snake:
  17. :ike:
  18. :charizard:
  19. :diddy:
  20. :lucas:
  21. :dedede:
  22. :olimar:
Unlockables
  1. :luigi2: (Stage fought: Luigi's Mansion)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear Classic Mode with no continues
    • 100 Vs. Matches
  2. :ness2: (Stage fought: Onett)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Reflect 10 projectiles
    • 200 Vs. Matches
  3. :falcon:(Stage fought: :porttown:)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear Classic mode on Normal+ within 12 minutes
    • 300 Vs. Matches
  4. :052: (Stage fought: :ps2:)
    • After beating SSE, head to the Ruined Zoo and run away from the Pig King Statue without losing a life; you'll fight Meowth instead of Porky, and winning ends the level there
    • Clear 20 Event Matches
    • 400 Vs. Matches
  5. :falco: (Stage fought: Corneria)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear 100-Man Brawl
    • 500 Vs. Matches
  6. :marth: (Stage fought: :castlesiege:)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear Classic Mode on Normal+ as any character
    • 600 Vs. Matches
  7. :ganondorf: (Stage fought: :eldin:)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear Classic Mode as :link2::zelda: on Hard+
    • 700 Vs. Matches
  8. :gw: (Stage fought: :flatzone2:)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear Target Smash with 20+ characters
    • 800 Vs. Matches
  9. :sonic: (Stage fought: :greenhill:)
    • Defeat Tabuu in SSE
    • Play 10 hours of Vs. Matches
    • 90p Vs. Matches
  10. :lucario: (Stage fought: :spearpillar:)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Complete Target Smash on all difficulties with any character
    • Get 5 KO's in Cruel Brawl
    • 1000 Vs. Matches
  11. :rob: (Stage fought: Mario Bros.)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Collect 200 different Trophies
    • 1100 Vs. Matches
  12. :toonlink: (Stage fought: :pirateship:)
    • After beating SSE, head to the Lake; you'll fight Toon Link instead of Rayquaza, and winning ends the level there
    • Clear Classic Mode as :link2::zelda::ganondorf: without continuing
    • 1200 Vs. Matches
  13. :wolf: (Stage fought: :lylat:)
    • After beating SSE, head to the end of the Glacier without losing a life; you'll fight Wolf instead of Meta Knight/Lucario
    • Clear Boss Battles on any difficulty
    • 1300 Vs. Matches
Starters
  1. :4mario:
  2. :4dk:
  3. :4link:
  4. :4samus:
  5. :4yoshi:
  6. :4kirby:
  7. :4fox:
  8. :4pikachu:
  9. :4luigi:
  10. :4falcon:
  11. :4peach:
  12. :4bowser:
  13. :4sheik:
  14. :4zelda:
  15. :4marth:
  16. :4pit:
  17. :4wario:
  18. :4myfriends:
  19. :4charizard:
  20. :4diddy:
  21. :4sonic:
  22. :4dedede:
  23. :4olimar:
  24. Snivy
  25. :4villager:
  26. :4megaman:
  27. :4wiifit:
  28. :4littlemac:
  29. :4mii::4miif:
    • :4miibrawl:
    • :4miisword:
    • :4miigun:
  30. :4palutena:
  31. :4robinm:
  32. :4shulk:
Unlockables
  1. :4ness: (Stage fought: Magicant / Onett)
    • Reflect 10 projectiles
    • Clear Classic Mode on 2.0+
    • 10 Vs. Matches
  2. :052: (Stage fought: Unova Pokémon League / Kalos Pokémon League)
    • Defeat 100 enemies in Smash Run (3DS only)
    • Collect at least 50 different pieces of equippment
    • 20 Vs. Matches
  3. :212: (Stage fought: Prism Tower / Kalos Pokémon League)
    • Summon a Poké Ball Pokémon 100 times
    • Summon a Master Ball Pokémon 50 times
    • 30 Vs. Matches
  4. :4falco: (Stage fought: Corneria / Orbital Gate Assault)
    • Clear 100-Man Smash
    • 40 Vs. Matches
  5. :4ganondorf: (Stage fought: Gerudo Valley / Skyloft)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4link: :4zelda::4sheik: on 5.5+
    • 50 Vs. Matches
  6. :4gaw: (Stage fought: :flatzone2:)
    • 60 Vs. Matches
  7. :4metaknight: (Stage fought: Dream Land GB/ :halberd:)
    • Get 5 KO's in Cruel Smash
    • 70 Vs. Matches
  8. :4zss: (Stage fought: Brinstar / Pyrosphere)
    • Get 30 KO's with Samus's Final Smash
    • Defeat Ridley on the Pyrosphere stage (Wii U only)
    • 80 Vs. Matches
  9. :4lucario: (Stage fought: Unova Pokémon League / Hyrule Temple)
    • Get 30 combined KO's with :4charizard:'s and :212:'s Final Smashes
    • Outlast to up to 300% damage
    • 90 Vs. Matches
  10. :rosalina: (Stage fought: Golden Plains / Mario Galaxy)
    • Get a successful recovery as :4littlemac: 5 times
    • 100 Vs. Matches
  11. :4greninja:(Stage fought: Prism Tower / Kalos Pokémon League)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4charizard: and Snivy on 6.0+
    • Clear a Final Battle in Smash Run without taking damage
    • 125 Vs. Matches
  12. :4darkpit: (Stage fought: Reset Bomb Forest / Palutena's Temple)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4pit: and :4palutena: on 5.5+
    • 150 Vs. Matches
  13. :4pacman: (Stage fought: PAC-MAZE / PAC-LAND)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4mario::4megaman::4sonic: on 5.5+
    • Eat 50 Ghosts on PAC-MAZE (3DS only)
    • 200 Vs. Matches
  14. :chrom: (Stage fought: Arena Ferox / Coliseum)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4marth: on 5.5+
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4robinm: on 5.5+
    • 300 Vs. Matches
  15. :4bowserjr:(Stage fought: 3D Land / Delfino Plaza)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4bowser: on 6.0+
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4peach: on 6.0+
    • 400 Vs. Matches
  16. :4duckhunt: (Stage fought: Duck Hunt)
    • Clear Target Blast as all other characters
    • Clear Classic Mode as all other characters on 6.0+
    • Unlock every Masterpiece (Wii U only)
    • 500 Vs. Matches
DLC Pack 1
  1. :4mewtwo:
  2. Ayumi Tachibana
DLC Pack 2
  1. :4ryu:
    • Stage: Suzaku Castle
  2. :4lucas:
    • Stage: New Pork City (Wii U only)
DLC Pack 3
  1. :4cloud:
    • Stage: Midgar
  2. :4feroy:
DLC Pack 4
  1. :azura: (Azura)
    • Stage: Opera House (3DS only)
  2. :4bayonetta:
    • Stage Umbra Clock Tower
  • 1. :ultmario:
  • 2. :ultdk:
  • 3. :ultlink:
  • 4. :ultsamus:
    • 4ε. :ultdarksamus:
  • 5. :ultyoshi:
  • 6. :ultkirby:
  • 7. :ultfox:
  • 8. :ultpikachu:
  • 9. :ultluigi:
  • 10. :ultness:
  • 11. :ultfalcon:
  • 12. :052:
Melee
  • 13. :ultpeach:
    • 13ε. :ultdaisy:
  • 14. :ultbowser:
  • 15. :ulticeclimbers:
  • 16. :ultsheik:
  • 17. :ultzelda:
  • 18.:212:
  • 19. Ayumi Tachibana
  • 20. :ultmarth:
  • 21. :ultmewtwo:
  • 22. :ultgnw:
  • 23. :ultyounglink:
  • 24. :ultganondorf:
  • 25. :ultfalco:
  • 26. :ultroy:
    • 26ε. :ultchrom:
Brawl
  • 27. :ultmetaknight:
  • 28. :ultpit:
    • 28ε. :ultdarkpit:
  • 29. :ultzss:
  • 30. :ultwario:
  • 31. :ultsnake:
  • 32. :ultike:
  • 33. :ultcharizard:
  • 34. :ultdiddy:
  • 35.:ultlucas:
  • 36. :ultsonic:
  • 37. :ultkingdedede:
  • 38.:ultolimar:
  • 39. :ultlucario:
  • 40. :ultrob:
  • 41. :ulttoonlink:
  • 42. :ultwolf:
Smash 4
  • 43. Snivy
  • 44. :ultvillager:
  • 45. :ultmegaman:
  • 46. :ultwiifittrainer:
  • 47. :ultrosalina:
  • 48. :ultlittlemac:
  • 49. :ultgreninja:
  • :ultmiifighters:
    • 50. :ultbrawler:
    • 51. :ultswordfighter:
    • 52. :ultgunner:
  • 53. :ultpalutena:
  • 54. :ultpacman:
  • 55. :ultrobin:
  • 56. :ultshulk:
  • 57. :ultbowserjr:
  • 58. :ultduckhunt:
  • 59. :ultryu:
    • 59ε. :ultken:
  • 60. :ultcloud:
  • 61. :azura:
  • 62. :ultbayonetta:
Newcomers
  1. :ultmario:
  2. :ultdk:
  3. :ultlink:
  4. :ultsamus:
  5. :ultyoshi:
  6. :ultkirby:
  7. :ultfox:
  8. :ultpikachu:
  9. :ultluigi:
  10. :ultness:
  11. :ultfalcon:
  12. :052:
  13. :ultinkling:
  14. :ultsimon:
  15. Crash
  16. :ultridley:
  17. :ultkrool:
  18. :ultisabelle:
  19. :ultincineroar:
  20. Bandana Waddle Dee
  21. :ultmiifighters:
  • 71. :ultjoker:
    • Stage: Mementos
  • 72. :ulthero:
    • Stage: Yggdrasil's Altar
  • 73. :ultbanjokazooie:
    • Stage: Spiral Mountain
  • 74. :ult_terry:
    • Stage: King of Fighters Stadium
  • 75. Sora
  • 76. :ultminmin
    • Stage: Spring Stadium
  • 77. Phoenix Wright
  • 78. :ultsephiroth:
    • Stage: Northern Cave
  • 79-80. :ultpyra:/Mythra
    • Stage: Cloud Sea of Alrest
  • 81. :ultkazuya:
    • Stage: Mishima Dojo
  • 82. :ultsteve:
    • Stage: Minecraft World

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Personally, my own Smash 64 roster would look like this:

:ultmario::ultdk::ultyounglink::ultsamus:
:ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu:

Yeah, base roster stays as normal. See, this roster is actually pretty fair overall. Unlockables?

:ultbowser::ultfalcon:
:ultness::ultmewtwo:

I'm sort of going to do something a little hypocritical here. Jigglypuff and Luigi are being cut because I'm going to presume we get extra development time, so we don't have to worry about clones. Even so, however - the development that went into Dragon King is still going into Captain Falcon, seems as he's a bit of a wackier character, and Ness stays because he's a unique archetype. (Note that the archetype of Luigi is similar to that of Mario and the archetype of Jigglypuff is similar to that of Kirby, so adding a second heavyweight to DK in the form of Bowser, and adding a weirder, light-but-big archetype in Mewtwo sort of makes the whole game feel a little more... open.)

Moving onto Melee, given that no characters were cut - and I don't see Bowser and Mewtwo getting cut given they were Nintendo mainstays - I'd say here's a reasonable estimate of the characters we get.

:ultluigi: gets added, but completely "decloned," based on his appearances in playable titles and, as with the Roy situation, we'll presume I get a little sneak peek at Luigi's Mansion in advance, so he probably gets the Poltergust this early in the series.
:ultpeach: also arrives, with basically no changes to how she is currently.
:ultzelda: still has Sheik, because it just works. However, I'd like to suggest that Sheik somehow implement the Harp of Ages into their moveset.
:ultganondorf: but he's decloned. Yes, I'm sacrificing :ultfalco::ultyounglink::ultpichu::ultroy::ultdoc: simply for a half-decent Ganondorf moveset, probably implementing his Trident in a similar way to how Phantom Ganon uses it in Ocarina, and he is generally more based on his actual self. Falco and Roy, to me, are big losses here - but I can live with their removal for this.
:ultmarth: is in too. Makes a lot of sense, to be honest - having a character like Marth make it in is, at this point, an original option.
:ultgnw: perhaps to everyone's surprise, makes it in too. Being a representitive for such an early part of the series, and a very weird moveset, he just makes quite a lot of sense to make it in whilst the idea is fresh.

Okay, so, there's an elephant in the room. Or two.
:ulticeclimbers: are in a weird state. As much as I'd love to see a retro rep make it in, I'd personally ask for more suggestions - after all, many characters were considered, so I'd bring them into genuine consideration. Just because Excitebike Racer uses a bike, doesn't mean we can't implement them as a fast but low-traction heavyweight. I'm going to use Ice Climbers' icon here as an example but basically, this is just a "retro pick," I don't really know which one.
:ultcharizard:No, seriously. With Mewtwo already in, adding Jigglypuff doesn't make much sense. Charizard is a genuinely logical pick here.

That leaves us with a total of 8 newcomers, making a total of 20 Melee fighters. I might do Brawl next, idk.

Last edited:
My Smash 64 Roster:
  • Mario
  • Luigi
  • Bowser
  • DK
  • Yoshi
  • Link
  • Fox
  • Pikachu
  • Kirby
  • Samus
  • Ness
  • Jigglypuff
  • Capt. Falcon
  • Marth

Melee Roster newcomers:
  • Roy (Clone)
  • Ice Climbers
  • ExciteBiker
  • Zelda/Sheik
  • Peach
  • Ganondorf
  • Decloned Wolf
  • Wario
  • Falco (Clone)
  • King Dedede
  • Mewtwo

Brawl Newcomers:
  • Meta Knight
  • Olimar
  • Sonic
  • Snake
  • Decloned Ike
  • Pokemon Trainer
  • Geno
  • Krystal
  • ROB
  • Villager
  • Lucas (Not Clone)
  • Mii

SSB4:
  • Chrom
  • Lyn
  • Robin
  • Delphox
  • Decloned Dark Pit
  • Waluigi
  • Chibi-Robo
  • Lil Mac
  • Duck Hunt
  • Shulk
  • Megaman
  • Pacman
  • Ridley
  • King K. Rool
  • Rosalina
  • Bowser Jr.
  • WFT
  • Arle Nadja (DLC)
  • Ryu (DLC)
  • Cloud (DLC)
  • Azura (DLC)

Ultimate:
  • Inkling
  • Springman
  • Andross (Star Fox)
  • Daisy
  • Bandana Dee
  • Simon
  • Alucard
  • Palutena
  • Dr. Eggman
  • Dark Samus (Not Clone)
  • Lucina (Decloned)
  • Isaac (GS)
  • Decidueye
  • Rex and Pythra
  • Ken (Clone)
  • Mach Rider
  • Mr. Game and Watch (Joke Character and DLC)

DLC FP1.
  • Joker
  • Hero
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Terry
  • Byleth (but better)
  • Akira Howard

DLC FP2.
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Steve
  • Sephiroth
  • Travis Touchdown
  • Kazuya
  • Crash
  • Rayman
  • Jonesy (Fortnite) (Worst, but Cooler back in 2017 pick)
  • Dante (Devil May Cry)

Jondolio

Smash Hero
64:
:mario64::dk64::link64::samus64::yoshi64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64::luigi64::ness64::falcon64: :marthmelee:
Cuts: Jigglypuff (replaced by Marth)

Melee:
:mariomelee::dkmelee::linkmelee::samusmelee::yoshimelee::kirbymelee::foxmelee::pikachumelee::luigimelee::nessmelee::falconmelee: :marthmelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee::dedede:(:sheikmelee:/:zeldamelee:):pichumelee::falcomelee::mewtwomelee::ganondorfmelee:*(Black Shadow):roymelee::gawmelee:

Cuts: Ice Climbers (replaced by Dedede), Dr. Mario, Young Link, Falcondorf
Some notes: Since Marth debuted in 64, Ganondorf debuts as a unique newcomer in his stead. Combined with Young Link and Dr. Mario getting axed, that means there's room for 3 brand new clones... And I decided to add one in the form of Black Shadow as a Falcon clone. I'm not sure who to add for the other 2, so their slots will be left open for now. Also I really went back and forth on who to add over the Ice Climbers and ended up going for Dedede, since he's Sakurai's character and feels like a pretty glaring omission from the roster.

Brawl:
:mario2::dk2::link2::samus2::yoshi2::kirby2::fox::pikachu2::luigi2::ness2::falcon::marth::peach::bowser2::dedede::sheilda::falco::ganondorf:(Black Shadow):gw::metaknight::pit::warioc:(Isaac):snake::ike::pt:(:squirtle:/:ivysaur:/:charizard:):diddy::lucas::sonic: :4littlemac: :olimar::lucario::toonlink::wolf:(Dixie Kong)
Cuts: Zero Suit Samus, R.O.B.
Some notes: Adding Dedede in Melee left an open slot for a newcomer in Brawl, which results in 3 total slots being open after the cuts I made (no offense to ZSS fans but I genuinely think she's the stupidest choice in Smash history even if she's fun to play as). Isaac was a no-brainer since Brawl was when he was the most relevant, but the other two were a little harder for me to choose. Little Mac feels like a pretty obvious choice, and I decided to end things off with Dixie as a semi-clone of Diddy, since we know for a fact she was planned to be a tag team with Diddy, and I feel like outright scrapping her was a huge waste since she could easily stand on her own.
I considered having Pokémon trainer's team comprise of Mudkip, Grovyle, and Blaziken, since Gen 3 was pretty relevant at the time and never got a fighter (Blaziken would even coincidentally fit Sm4sh's heavy Mega Evolution push), but ultimately decided that the Kanto starters were too iconic to ignore, especially Charizard. Mewtwo, Roy, Pichu are still cut in this alternate timeline, same with the other clones, although like Ganondorf before him, Black Shadow returns with a few changes from his Melee incarnation.

Sm4sh:
:4mario::4dk::4link::4samus::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4luigi::4ness::4falcon::4marth::4peach::4bowser::4dedede::4zelda::4sheik::4falco::4ganondorf:(Black Shadow):4gaw::4metaknight::4pit::4wario2:(Isaac):4myfriends::4charizard::4diddy::4sonic: :4littlemac: :4olimar::4lucario::4tlink:(Dixie Kong):4villager::4megaman::ultkrool::4greninja::4palutena::4pacman::4robinm::4shulk:(Bandana Dee):4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4lucina::4darkpit::4alph::4miibrawl::4miisword::ultgunner:
DLC: :4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu::4cloud:(dear god ANYONE but corrin):4bayonetta:
Cuts: Wii Fit Trainer, Corrin
Some notes: Sadly, there are still some veterans left behind. I decided to add King K. Rool in this game since I wanted to make room for a certain other popular character in the next game's base roster, but I'm not entirely sure about Bandana Dee since he wasn't as prominent as he's today at the time the base roster was decided. Also, since Dr. Mario never existed in this version, Alph gets promoted into a clone in his stead.
As for DLC, I kept it mostly the same with the exception of deleting Corrin from existence as I despise that character. I don't mind promotional picks, but Corrin put a permanent stain on Fire Emblem's representation in Smash that led to many people outright refusing to give it a try. Doesn't help that I hate the character outside of the context of Smash as well as the game they're from. I can't think of a better promotional pick, so just pick whoever you want that was relevant at the time, I genuinely do not care.

Ultimate:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultdarksamus: :ultyoshi: :ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultkingdedede:(:ultsheik:/:ultzelda:):ultpichu::ultfalco::ultmewtwo::ultganondorf:(Black Shadow):ultroy: :ultchrom: :ultgnw::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultwario:(Isaac):ultsnake::ultike::ultpokemontrainer::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic::ultlittlemac::ultolimar::ultalph::ultlucario::ulttoonlink::ultwolf:(Dixie Kong):ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultkrool::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultrobin::ultshulk:(Bandana Dee):ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultken::ultcloud:(Unknown):ultbayonetta::ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::geno::ultisabelle: (Decidueye)
DLC: :waluigirose::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbyleth::ultminmin:ultsteve::ultsephiroth:(:ultpyra:/:ultmythra:):ultkazuya:(Phoenix Wright)
Cuts: Incineroar, Piranha Plant
Some notes: Pretty self explanatory, I would say. I moved King K. Rool to Sm4sh so that I could add Geno here instead, and replaced Incineroar with Decidueye because I prefer Decidueye.
As for the DLC characters, I like all of them, but I like Piranha Plant the least, so I decided to go for a character whose inclusion would cause less vitriol overall with Waluigi, and picked Phoenix Wright as CP11.

This was way harder than I thought it'd be.
Decided to re-do this.

64:

:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultmarth:

Melee:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultpit:(:ultzelda:/:ultsheik:):ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultgnw:
Clones: :ultpichu::ultfalco::ultroy::ultyounglink:*Black Shadow, Ninten

Brawl:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultpit:(:ultzelda:/:ultsheik:):ultfalco::ultganondorf:Black Shadow:ulttoonlink:*:ultgnw::ultmetaknight:Isaac:ultlittlemac::ultwario::ultsnake::ultike::ultpokemontrainer::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar: :ultlucario::ultrob::ultwolf:

*=Toon Link is named "Young Link" in this version of Brawl. He's essentially just Young Link but with a new design, just like all the other Zelda characters got new designs.

Wii U/3DS:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultpit::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultfalco::ultganondorf:Black Shadow:ulttoonlink::ultgnw::ultmetaknight:Isaac:ultlittlemac::ultwario::ultike::ultcharizard::ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar: :ultlucario::ultrob::ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina::ultkrool::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit::ultpacman::ultrobin::ultlucina::ultshulk::ultduckhunt::ultbowserjr::ultalph:Karate Joe, Dixie Kong :ultmiifighters:(One Mii)
DLC: :ultmewtwo::ultlucas::ultroy: :ultryu::ultcloud:Elma:ultbayonetta:

Ultimate:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultpit::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo: :ultpichu::ultfalco::ultroy::ulttoonlink:Black Shadow, Ninten :ultgnw::ultmetaknight:Isaac:ultlittlemac::ultwario::ultsnake::ultike::ultpokemontrainer::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic::ultkingdedede::ultolimar: :ultlucario::ultrob::ultwolf: :ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina::ultkrool::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultduckhunt::ultbowserjr:Karate Joe, Dixie Kong:ultryu::ultcloud:Elma:ultbayonetta::ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon:Geno:ultisabelle:Decidueye:ultmiifighters:
Echoes: :ultdarksamus::ultdaisy::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultdarkpit::ultalph::ultken::ultrichter:
DLC: Tingle:ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbyleth::ultminmin:ultsteve::ultsephiroth:(:ultpyra:/:ultmythra:):ultkazuya:Phoenix Wright

Cuts: :ultjigglypuff::ulticeclimbers::ultdoc::ultyounglink::ultzss::ultbrawler::ultswordfighter::ultgunner::ultcorrin::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
Smash 64
Yoshi, Luigi, and Jigglypuff are out for the time being. In their place are Little Mac (Punch-Out), Pit (Kid Icarus), and Fulgore (Killer Instinct). Two KIs, it seems. I wanted to have every character be from another game, including the unlockables. Little Mac is slightly based in the same Dragon King/Captain Falcon model, with some moves similar to Captain Falcon and Donkey Kong, though he'll differentiate more over time, and maybe he'll get his KO meter later on. Since he's a base roster pick, he's also definitely not a total clone. He might also at least have better recovery in this world. Pit is semi-based on Link's model, in the sense that Captain Falcon and Ness are somewhat based on Samus and Mario's model's, respectively. He does have a bow & arrow like Link, as well, but the rest of his moves are fairly different. He might also look a bit more like the NES artwork. Fulgore is here for a few reasons, beyond just being pretty cool and seeming fun to play as. One being that he's basically the signature character of his series to a lot of people, second is that it's basically Nintendo's other fighting game series around the time, and third is to help establish an even stronger relationship between Rare and Nintendo, which may extend further down the line. With him and Little Mac, I feel we've represented Nintendo's most famous fighting series around this time.
So TL;DR, the roster looks like this:
Starters
:ultdk::ultmario::ultlittlemac::ultlink:
:ultsamus::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu:
Unlockable
:ultpit::ultfalcon::ultness:Fulgore

Melee
Yoshi and Luigi will get in this one, with Yoshi pretty well playing as he does most of the time, maybe with a few more Yoshi's Island flourishes, and Luigi being a Mario semi-clone, but with still some differences, some even further down the line. Peach, Bowser, Zelda, Mewtwo, Mr. Game & Watch, and Marth will all also get in. They will mostly not change, aside from Zelda not having the Sheik transformation and Marth maybe occasionally using weapons besides his sword. A shield, at the very least. Mr. G&W also manages to get in via being surprisingly relevant as a retro character, given the Game & Watch Gallery games at the time. Ganondorf will also get in, and will be more like a counterpart to both Link and Zelda than a Captain Falcon clone, having hard hitting sword attacks and more destructive magical spells. The Flame Choke and ground punch may stay, though.

I feel like another Pokemon is warranted, but it's a tough choice. That said, my heart has always told me it should be Meowth. Imagine a smaller MVC Wolverine/TVC Doronjo cross who can also rapid fire coins. What I mean by the Doronjo thing is that he may potentially be able to summon Jesse & James to do some dirty work for him sometimes. Maybe that's a bit too much to think of, but I think it'd be cool, and it partially informs why he'd be here. Sorry to say that there's no Gen. 2 rep here.

So far it's been pretty normal, but here's a big one. Our final newcomer will be Banjo & Kazooie. They'll play fairly similarly to how they do in Ultimate, perhaps simplified to fit the gameplay style of the time. If I'm developer at the time, and I've tried to improve our relationship with Rare more and more, this seems less unlikely than one would think. Perhaps they even help develop somewhat, in the first and second games, at least.
So our newcomer list here is
:ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultyoshi:
:ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo:Meowth
:ultgnw::ultmarth::ultbanjokazooie:

Brawl
There aren't any cuts from the last game's total count of 23. We've got a lot of the big core names of franchises out now, so we may focus again on adding more new series. For sure, you get Wario, Diddy Kong, King Dedede, Ridley, and Lucario, but beyond that a focus may be put on some slightly less known or exposed Nintendo series, past and present. For another NES-era character, we could get Mach Rider. They would be somewhat based on Captain Falcon, but for specials, they might have a more rapid fire kick, use a laser gun, and even summon their motorcycle! Partially because of this, Wario might not have his, but Wario would have more of a basis in Wario Land, with elbow charges, fire-breathing dragon hats, and instead of f*rting, different transformations based on different attacks effecting him. But going back to other Nintendo series, you'd have Panel de Pon's puzzle-dropping fairy Lip, the Custom(izable) Robo(t) Ray MK III, Golden Sun's rock-flinging Isaac, Advance Wars's soldier and commander Sami, and still, Pikmin's plant-alien-commanding astronaut, Captain Olimar. We've also started a trend of adding a Rare character in each game, and perhaps here is no exception, giving us a versatile character with the crude humor to replace Wario's, Conker the Squirrel! This game feels jam-packed already, but given that this is also the game that introduced third-parties, I see no reason not to do (mostly) the same. Sad as it is, you might not get Snake in this installment, but you will have Sonic, hopefully with a better moveset. But now, you'll also get another blue guy, the Blue Bomber himself, Mega Man!
This brings us to a total of 37 characters, which, despite the on-screen count of 35 in Brawl, is actually slightly less, given that there's also Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, and the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon, as well. There's not really any clones besides sort of Luigi, sort of Ganondorf, and sort of Mach Rider, though, so we may be cutting it close a bit.
Newcomer list
:ultwario::ultdiddy::ultridley::ultkingdedede::ultlucario:
Mach Rider, Lip, Ray, Isaac, Sami
:ultolimar:, Conker, :ultsonic::ultmegaman:

Fracas
I am deciding that history is different and the Wii U is not named that + is generally better marketed, so it's possible it could last slightly longer before the Switch comes out. So I also give this an actual name and don't also have to release it on 3DS.
Newcomers kept from Wii U/3DS
:ultpalutena::ultrobin::ultduckhunt::ultvillager:
:ultwiifittrainer::ultshulk::ultpacman:
Plus two from our Brawl and two from our Ultimate
:ultmetaknight::ultwolf::ultkrool::ultsimon:
Along with some
New Newcomers
Impa (Legend of Zelda), Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight), Marshal (Rhythm Heaven), Captain Rainbow, Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark)
DLC: :ultryu:Eggman (Sonic), :ultcloud:
For a total of 56 by the end.

Ultimate
Woomy! Inkling is here, of course. Aside from them, the small bit of newcomers for an "EVERYONE IS HERE!" game would be pretty different, given that a lot of them were in previous entries. Instead of Incineroar, we have the Battletoads as a big, buff animal person/people character, with Rash, Zitz, and Pimple being alts for each other. Takamaru (Mystery of Murasame Castle), Mike Jones (StarTropics), Bomberman, and Agumon/Greymon (Digimon) round out the base roster.

Our bonus fighter, instead of Piranha Plant, is Anna from Fire Emblem. Only our third FE character ever, and she uses a lance and other non-sword weapons. Plus if you time it right, you can get her for free. So hopefully way less bad publicity at this point.
Fighter's Pass 1
:ultsnake::ulthero3:Crash Bandicoot, :ult_terry:, DOOMGuy (DOOM)
Fighter's Pass 2
Scorpion (Mortal Kombat), :ultsteve:, Billy Lee [Jimmy as an alt.] (Double Dragon), Yoshimitsu (Tekken), Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden), the Virtual Boy. Certainly.
Alright here we are, take this somewhat with a grain of salt.

Top Bottom