• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You are Sakurai in 1999, what becomes your roster input for 64 and later installments?

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
You read the title right, you are the director of Super Smash Bros.

You and Iwata planned to make the game as Dragon King: The Fighting Game, But have it scrapped and decided to make it Nintendo based instead featuring familiar characters and elements.

RULES:

1. You can’t exceed roster limits at the time of developing a certain title, the number of characters must stay the same as canon. (64-12, Melee-25, Brawl-35, 4-58 including DLC) This goes for cuts as well.

2. The characters you add must exist at the time.

3. Regarding Melee, it’s either 1 unique newcomer or 6 clones, your choice.

4.Transformation characters can count as one character.

5. As an extra challenge, the Original 8 are untouched, you must be obliged to add them.
You can only choose the four hidden characters
for 64.

Last edited:

DrPerplexion

Smash Cadet
About Dark Samus in brawl, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes was released in 2004, 4 years before brawl was released
(sorry i broke the rules, I keep my roster small)

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Master
64: Ness stays, Captain Falcon is cut in favour of Muddy Mole, Jigglypuff is cut in favour of Squirtle, Luigi is cut in favour of Bowser

Melee: Peach, Zelda/Sheik, Mr. G&W, Falco, Mewtwo and Pichu stay (note: I probably wouldn't have come up with the idea of including the ICs or Doc as a separate character). the spot Bowser would take if he was a new character is taken by Wario, the ICs are replaced by Duck Hunt, Young Link is replaced by Paula as a Ness clone, Ganondorf is replaced by Daisy as a Peach clone, Marth is replaced by Diddy Kong, Dr. Mario is replaced by Luigi as a Mario clone, Roy is replaced by Dixie as a Diddy clone, Doc is an alt costume

Brawl: Toon, Dedede, Lucas, Sonic and Olimar stay (yet again, I wouldn't have come up with R.O.B.). Wario is revamped from Land to Ware. the slot that would belong to a new Diddy is taken by King K. Rool, Meta Knight is replaced by Waluigi, Pokemon Trainer is replaced by Onix, Pit is replaced by Mini Kangaroo, R.O.B. is replaced by Excitebiker, Ike is replaced by Kumatora, Wolf is replaced by a decloned Luigi, Lucario is replaced by Tingle, Snake is replaced by Pac-Man

3DS/Wii U: Bowser Jr., Villager, Little Mac, Ryu and Miis stay (I wouldn't have thought of WFT). Rosalina is replaced by a decloned Daisy, Greninja is replaced by Genesect, Robin is replaced by the introduction of Marth, Lucina is replaced by Slippy as a Fox clone, Corrin is replaced by non-clone Ganondorf (I like Ganondorf as a clone, but wouldn't have come up with that idea cuz' ya' know, no Falcon), Palutena is replaced by Ashley, Dark Pit is replaced by Tiny Wario as a Wario clone, WFT is replaced by Dr. Kawashima (if he approves of course), Shulk is replaced by Jill from Drill Dozer, as DH replaced the ICs earlier, Duck Hunt's new slot is given to the return of Duck Hunt themselves, same goes for Pac, Mega Man is replaced by Crash Bandicoot, Cloud is replaced by a Namco Museum trio, Bayonetta is replaced by Tails.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I love these threads!

64:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultyoshi::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultkingdedede:
Melee:
12 above, + :ultbowser::ultpeach::ultganondorf::ultzelda::ultsheik:( as a separate fighter):ultmetaknight::ultridley::ultfalco::ultdiddy::ultmewtwo::ultpit::ultyoshi::ulticeclimbers:
Brawl: 25 above, + :ultwolf: :ultjigglypuff::ultlucario::ultpokemontrainer::ultzss:(as a separate fighter):ultrosalina::ultmarth::ultgnw::ultrob::ultlucas:
Smash 4::ultduckhunt::ultgreninja::ultisabelle::ultike::ultmegaman::ultolimar::ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultrobin:ultvillager::ultbayonetta::ultryu::ultcloud: Plus a bunch of other fighters, see signature

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Smash 64 - It’s a roster of 12. There are no veterans to consider.
:ultmario::ultyoshi::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultpit::ultmarth::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultness::ultgnw:

Smash Melee - It’s a roster of 20. No veterans are cut.
:ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda::ultroy::ultfalco::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ulticeclimbers:

Smash Brawl - It’s a roster of 35. No veterans are cut.
:ultluigi::ultwario::ultdiddy::ulttoonlink::ultganondorf::ultpalutena::ultike::ultmetaknight::ultwolf::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario::ultvillager::ultfalcon::ultsnake::ultsonic:

Smash 4 - It’s a roster of 56. No veterans are cut.
:ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultkrool::ultridley::ultdarkpit::ultkingdedede::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultgreninja::ultlucas::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt::ultrob::ultisabelle::ultshulk::ultsimon::ultryu::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultcloud::ultbayonetta:

Smash Ultimate - It’s a roster of 70. No veterans are cut.
Geno, Skull Kid, :ultdarksamus:, Bandana Dee, Krystal, Blaziken, Decidueye, Issac, Rex and Pyra, :ultinkling:, Springman, Alucard, Ken, and Steve.
Melee is only 20 characters instead of 25. I was abiding by the one unique newcomer or six clone characters rule and chose one unique newcomer.

Zelda can transform into Sheik in previous games, so I brought that back in my roster picks. I’m counting them as one fighter in Smash Melee and Smash Brawl. The same also applies to Samus and Zero Suit Samus except for the fact that Zero Suit Samus doesn't come in until Smash Brawl.

Instead of counting Sheik and Zero Suit Samus as characters separate from Zelda and Samus in Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate, I still counted them as one with their counterparts, but I decreased the amount of characters used in Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate to compensate.

I’m also counting Pokémon Trainer as one fighter in all regards.
Not Included - Veterans that I would have never included up to this point in time.
:ultdoc::ultdaisy::ultyounglink::ultchrom::ultlucina::ultpichu::ultolimar::ultwiifittrainer::ultrichter::ultmiifighters:

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I choose :ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultinkling::ultolimar::ultdarkpit::ultcorrin::ultlucas::ultmetaknight::ulttoonlink::ultvillager: for Smash 64

Everyone will be confused because none of these characters will have existed yet

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I might edit in Brawl and on later but I want to make one for 64 and Melee for now at least. (it's hard for afterwards considering how much Smash has influenced it)

It's a bit difficult, I have to think what I would have thought of, even if I think they were pretty good ideas in the end, as well as my previous point with how Smash influenced some games, but here goes, I'll try detail the other information I can add, in terms of priority:

64: :mario64::dk64::link64::samus64::yoshi64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64::luigi64::falcon64::052: and if I can add one more character since I believe Meowth would be around as taxing to make as Ness and Jigglypuff combined, while I think Ness was a good choice in the long run, I am unsure if I would have considered him as much as others.
I think if I could I would likely add someone like Banjo Kazooie with some of Mario's attributes, Marth with some of Link's similar to how Ness and Falcon share a few from others too but still feel fairly unique but I believe that would be it.

Melee (with my previous roster):
Unique characters::mariomelee::linkmelee::dkmelee::pikachumelee::samusmelee::foxmelee::kirbymelee::yoshimelee::bowsermelee:(My bias wants to say :icsmelee: but most likely) :pit::marthmelee::mewtwomelee::luigimelee:Banjo Kazooie/:diddy: (If Rareware doesn't get bought out or it doesn't end up preventing it in time, otherwise Diddy Kong):zeldamelee::052::peachmelee::nessmelee::falconmelee::4duckhunt:20 limit for unique characters reached :warioc::dedede::sonic:(if allowed):ganondorfmelee:(Unique)/Ganon either a third retro rep being themed to be more obscure (Japan only release for example) or more oddball/accessory based characters (Like Diskun or :rob:) and a new Pokemon, this would be it with the current development time in terms of priorities.

Echoes: TBA

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
He mostly did a great job. What I'd do differently is go the extra mile with everything. Examples:

Make sure ganondorf was introduced with his own moveset, even if it meant delaying the game, or maybe finding a way to release some kind of expansion pack or "melee delux" a hear later.

Go through with all his character ideas in full. Like the Diddy Dixie team rather than just Diddy, toon zelda/tetra, plusle minum (or whatever they're caled), Geno etc. And I'd do the same thing as I said above for ganon. Delay the game or release exansions or updated versions. Which by the way should have been a thing all along. Smash bros is a popular game, every system could have had multiple iterations. We get new ea sports games every year, I think smash can have multiple iterations per system.

Besides those things, he's honestly done a great job. He just has put to many limitations on the game for unknown reasons to me.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
64: Replace :ultjigglypuff: with :ultmarth:. Marth was canonically a sword and shield fighter before his Melee design (which somehow became canon in actual Fire Emblem games), so I think the same amount of resources used to make Jigglypuff from Kirby could probably be applied to making Marth from Link. Just needs two special moves to replace Bombs and the boomerang. I know Jigglypuff was absolutely a more popular character than Marth in 1999, but Sakurai considered Marth from the beginning, and in hindsight we can definitely say now that Marth is the more popular character. Other than that I'm fine with the 64 roster. Ness feels a little superflous but an F-Zero game had just come out during SSB's development, so Falcon feels like a necessary addition. Just wish he had a stage.

Melee: Keep the clones. Building a new game in such a short time on new hardware must have been the most quietly tumultuous stories that's never been told. And having just eight newcomers rather than thirteen sounds like an unacceptable figure for how much work got put in. Anyway, if we can swap out those clones, the easiest one is Falco. :ultwolf: even appears in the damn game's opening, so why go with :ultfalco:, the member of the team with the least characterization? And in this alternate universe, since Jigglypuff doesn't exist and I refuse to put her in, spend the time that would have been spent making Marth and make :ultkingdedede: Love villains.

Brawl: Brawl's character additions are 100% stellar in my opinion. Keep everything. Declone Wolf to the degree Falco was, and in "Wolf"'s place spend that time getting back :ultmewtwo:. All other cuts are fine with me. Also spend the time that would have been on King Dedede (since he already exists) adding :ultridley:.

Smash 4: Let's see...in this alternate universe, Mewtwo's already still in so his DLC slot can go to :ultsnake:. I'm extremely bothered by Ganondorf being copy pasted from Brawl with no changes and an outdated design. Replace this nerd with Beast Ganon wielding a trident. Give us a reference to a pre-OoT Zelda game. So much moveset potential too. He can warp, cast magic, set the ground on fire, telepathically wave the trident independently of the body. I know I haven't picked anything to be cut in his place, but Smash 4's development was very long for how little they added to Smash, so I'm sure they could make it work. Cut Wii Fit Trainer, Charizard, or Sheik if you have to. Smash 4's character additions, outside of the Guest characters, all feel very....designed by committee. Every one can be backed up by sales numbers or popularity polls. But the only one that really bothers me is Wii Fit Trainer who feels more appropriate to have been a stage element or assist trophy.

TL;DR: Jigglypuff never exists with Marth taking her place. Wolf gets in over Falco who I never put in. King Dedede gets in a game early. Ridley gets in two games early. Mewtwo is never cut. Snake returns in his place for DLC. Ganondorf and likely Wii Fit Trainer are cut to get Beast Ganon in. And Ultimate gets enough resources for another newcomer.

Last edited:

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
64: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultluigi::ultness::ultmewtwo::ultfalcon:

Melee: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultluigi::ultness::ultmewtwo::ultfalcon:|:ultbowser::ultpeach::ultdiddy::ultganondorf::ultzelda::ultyounglink::ultsheik::ultwolf::ultmarth::ulticeclimbers::006::ultkingdedede::ultvillager:

Brawl: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultluigi::ultness::ultmewtwo::ultfalcon::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultdiddy::ultganondorf::ultzelda::ultyounglink::ultwario::ultwolf::ultmarth::ulticeclimbers::ultpokemontrainer::ultkingdedede::ultvillager:|:ultsheik::ultpit::ultmetaknight::ultzss::ultsonic:(Gen 3/4 Pokemon):ultike::ultfalco::ultlucas::ultolimar:

4: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultluigi::ultness::ultmewtwo::ultfalcon::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultdiddy::ultganondorf::ultzelda::ultyounglink::ultwario::ultwolf::ultmarth::ulticeclimbers::ultpokemontrainer::ultkingdedede::ultvillager::ultsheik::ultpit::ultmetaknight::ultzss::ultsonic:(Gen 3/4 Pokemon):ultike::ultfalco::ultlucas::ultolimar:|:ultrosalina::ultgreninja::ultisabelle::ultlittlemac::ultmiifighters::ultpacman::ultmegaman::ultpalutena::ultrobin(Lyn):ultsimon::ultshulk::ultduckhunt::ultmiifighters::ultsnake::ultcorrin:(Geno) || DLC: :ulttoonlink::ultdarksamus::ultryu::ultcloud:(Tails) :ultinkling:

Though hindsight is 20/20, and doing it my way would probably bring less hype for when cut characters return and whatnot, since I would feel illogical in cutting characters. The only cut I'd make is turning Charizard into PT with the option of keeping each character completely separate (not even needing to switch after a stock). Plus it'd probably be really difficult to add in characters the way I do since I try not to emphasize clones, so it's very "idealistic" since I don't know what Sakurai's limitations were.

I wanted to put Ridley in way back in Melee, but somehow I felt like blueballing the Metroid fanbase kinda gave us some character, lol. Plus, that way Ultimate can be a little more "Ultimate" since the wind got thrown out of its sails by not having "everyone is here" hype, etc.

Last edited:

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
64:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultfalcon::ultmewtwo::ultness:

Melee:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultfalcon::ultmewtwo::ultness::ultbowser::ultganondorf::ultpeach::ultzelda:/:ultsheik::ultpit::ultmarth::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultridley::ultfalco::ultdiddy::ultgnw::ulticeclimbers:

Brawl:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultfalcon::ultmewtwo::ultness::ultbowser::ultganondorf::ultpeach::ultzelda:/:ultsheik::ultpit::ultmarth::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultridley::ultfalco::ultdiddy::ultgnw::ulticeclimbers::ultvillager::ultwario::ultwolf::ulttoonlink::ultike::ultlucario::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucas::ultsonic:

Wii U/3DS:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultfalcon::ultmewtwo::ultness::ultbowser::ultganondorf::ultpeach::ultzelda:/:ultsheik::ultpit::ultmarth::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultridley::ultfalco::ultdiddy::ultgnw::ulticeclimbers::ultvillager::ultwario::ultwolf::ulttoonlink::ultike::ultlucario::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucas::ultsonic:
:ultolimar::ultlittlemac::ultpalutena::ultkrool:
:ultdarksamus::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultgreninja::ultduckhunt::ultrob::ultpacman::ultmegaman:

Ultimate:
:ultolimar::ultlittlemac::ultpalutena::ultkrool:
:ultdarksamus::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultgreninja::ultduckhunt::ultrob::ultpacman::ultmegaman::ultinkling:
:ultdaisy:
:ultwiifittrainer::ultjigglypuff:

Changes (General)
Less 3rd parties (Only the biggest and most iconic: Pac-Man, Mega Man, Sonic)
Donkey Kong + Metroid Get New Character in Each Installment
Less Fire Emblem Characters
Pokemon Changes
Retro Characters Added in 2

Changes (Specific)
Mewtwo Replaces Jigglypuff in 64
Pit, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Ridley, and Diddy Kong all debut in Melee
Roy, Pichu, Dr. Mario, and Young Link cut from Melee
Villager and Dixie Kong debut in Brawl
Olimar, R.O.B., and Snake cut from Brawl
Olimar, King K. Rool, Captain Toad, Dark Samus, and R.O.B. debut in Wii U/3DS
Wii Fit Trainer, Dark Pit, Ryu, Cloud, Corrin, Robin, and Bayonetta cut from 3DS/Wii U
Slippy Toad, Peppy Hare, Spring Man, Isaac, Medusa, Chrous Kids, Sylux, Wii Fit Trainer, Jigglypuff, and Waluigi debut in Ultimate
Chrom, Simon Belmont, and Richter Belmont cut from Ultimate

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I think the four hidden characters in Super Smash Bros. were both meant for popular characters and obscure characters. Luigi and Jigglypuff were well-known, but Ness and Captain Falcon were obscure. I think Luigi was made because there was a Mario model and Jigglypuff was made because of a Kirby model. That probably explains why Jigglypuff has multiple jumps, which needs to be limited to two jumps. Sing needs to be replaced with something else, since landing Rest isn't that difficult once you got it down. Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, Little Mac, Marth, R.O.B., or Wario could have been added on the list. Marth would have a harder time being added, only because his first game was never released outside of Japan.

:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultness::ultfalcon::ultgnw::ultpit:

nirvanafan

Smash Ace
Smash 64:
Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Fox, Samus, Little Mac, Marth, Bubbles, Banjo & Kazooie, Young Link (Semi-Clone)

Melee:
Smash 64 minus Banjo & Kazooie because of Rare buyout (Meaning 1 more unique newcomer slot)
Unique Newcomers: Yoshi, Peach, Zelda, Eevee, Wario, Bowser, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Mr. Game & Watch
New Semi Clones/Echoes: Luigi, Pichu, Wolf, Young Zelda, Armored Mewtwo, Donkey Kong Jr.

Brawl:
All Melee (Meaning 5 less newcomer slots)
Newcomers: Meta Knight, ZS Samus, Snake, Diddy Kong, Pokemon Trainer, Sonic, King Dedede, Olimar, ROB*, Tom Nook, Mii
*Implemented different, is a sprite who turn into other NES era sprites for attacks like a balloon fighter up special, Ice Climber neutral special, etc. think of how G&W seems to now transform in his attacks now to closer mock source of attack, not sure if this would work this way but had the idea and thought it would be interesting

Smash 4
All Brawl minus Snake because Konami (meaning 5 less newcomer slots, use 3 DLC veterans slots for new echoes)
Newcomers: Mega Man, Pac Man, Shulk, Bowser Jr., Waluigi, Marshal, Ridley, King K. Rool, Tiki, Genesect
New Echoes: Daisy, Dixie Kong
Newcomer DLC: Ryu, Cloud, Anna, Hayabusa
New Echoes DLC: Metal Sonic, Ken, Zack Fair

Ultimate so far:
Everyone is here (Banjo & Snake, use slots from characters never removed for more echoes so plus 5)
Newcomers: Inkling, Simon, Captain Toad, Elma
New Semi Clones/Echoes: Dark Samus, Isabelle, Ms. Pac Man, Birdo, Octoling, Dry Bowser, Ms. Game & Watch, Rival Trainer

Not going to lie was running out of ideas for echoes i wanted with melee and ultimate.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
This is cute and fun! There are lots of characters I love to play as now like Jigglypuff and Ice Climbers, but if they were never introduced, I wouldn't know any better and wouldn't miss them! I love analyzing yalls lists and making my own, such fun data and possibilities~ So, here I go, I'll also ignore the additional challenge and mess with the original 8 a bit.

64(12):
Starters::ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultness:Unlockable::ultpit::ultfalcon::ultmewtwo::ultbowser:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Melee(26): No Cuts
Starters::ultmario::ultpeach::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultlink::ultzelda::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultness::ultpit::ultfalcon::ultroy:

Unlockable: :ultbowser::ultganondorf::ultridley::ultmewtwo::ultsonic:
6 Clones(Also all unlockable)::ultluigi::ultdaisy:(Dixie):ultfalco::ultwolf::ultlucas:

Overall New Additions: (5 Starters):ultpeach::ultdiddy::ultzelda::ultmetaknight::ultroy:
(9 Unlockables):ultluigi::ultdaisy:(Dixie):ultganondorf::ultridley::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultlucas::ultsonic:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Brawl(39): No Cuts
Starters::ultmario::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultdk::ultdiddy:(Dixie):ultlink::ultzelda::ultsamus::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultfox::ultfalco::ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultness::ultpit::ultfalcon::ultike::ultvillager::ultolimar:

Unlockable::ultluigi::ultdaisy::ultwario::ultbowserjr::ultkrool::ultganondorf::ultdarksamus::ultridley::ultkingdedede::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultlucas::ultwolf::ultroy:(Lyn):ultsonic::ultmegaman:

New Additions: (4~6 Starters):ultpokemontrainer::ultike::ultvillager::ultolimar:
(8 Unlockables):ultwario::ultbowserjr::ultkrool::ultdarksamus::ultkingdedede::ultlucario:(Lyn):ultmegaman:

4 Wii U & 3DS(51): Pokemon Trainer and Falco cut. Note, Mii is just one moveset based on moves from Wii Sports, Tomodachi Life, stuff like that. Another note, Lucina is a flameless clone of Roy and Chrom is a faster but weaker clone of Ike! Also Bowser Jr is more true to himself as his alts aren't Koopalings anymore... They're cool alts, but a truer moveset will be better in the long run.
Starters::ultmario::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultyoshi::ultdk::ultdiddy:(Dixie):ultkrool::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultridley::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:
:ultfox::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultness::ultlucas::ultpit::ultfalcon:(Lyn):ultrobin:ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultolimar:(Isaac):ultmiifighters:

Unlockable::ultluigi::ultdaisy::ultbowserjr::ultrosalina::ultwario:(Skull Kid):ultdarksamus:(Bandanna Dee):ultwolf::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultroy::ultike::ultlittlemac::ultshulk::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman:
3 Clones::ultdarkpit::ultchrom::ultlucina:

New Additions: (5 Starters):ultyoshi::ultrobin:ultisabelle:(Isaac):ultmiifighters:
(10 Unlockables):ultrosalina:(Skull Kid)(Bandanna Dee):ultgreninja::ultdarkpit::ultchrom::ultlucina::ultlittlemac::ultshulk::ultpacman:

DLC(7): (Geno):ultfalco::ultryu:(Banjo&Kazooie):ultcloud::ultinkling::ultbayonetta:
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Ultimate Everyone is here! Only Pokemon Trainer, Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard would be having a grand return because they wouldn't work on the 3DS, but still! So, the difference would be that I'd already have :ultdaisy::ultkrool::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultisabelle::ultinkling: Dixie Kong, Lyn, Isaac, Skull Kid, Bandanna Dee, Geno, and Banjo&Kazooie!

But I wouldn't have:ultjigglypuff::ulticeclimbers::ultsheik::ultdoc::ultpichu::ultyounglink::ultmarth::ultgnw::ultzss::ultsnake::ultrob::ulttoonlink::ultwiifittrainer::ultpalutena::ultduckhunt::ultcorrin:and two more Mii movesets. I regret losing Snake the most, but I dunno if I'd be friends with Kojima like Sakurai is, I'd like to be but I dunno haha, seems too random and magical! I also have Roy promoting his upcoming game solo and then introducing Lyn as the series lead, since she dominated the FEH fan poll, with Ike behind her, and Roy and Lucina following close behind. Marth can be the assist trophy instead of Lyn! Other characters like R.O.B., Duck Hunt, and Wii Fit Trainer can be assist trophies, Palutena and Sheik can appear in Pit and Zelda's final smashes, and others like ZSS and G&W simply wouldn't be missed since people wouldn't know what they were missing. I love playing as G&W now, but yeah.

Along with the Smash Ballot, I'd pay attention and maybe secretly orchestrate some sort of worldwide Pokemon popularity poll, to find out who to show off besides Pikachu, Greninja, and other popular Pokemon already here. I'd feel it would be too late to put in a Gen 7 Pokemon just because they're from the most recent game, especially because by the time Ultimate would come out, Gen 8 would already be on the way (they're already teasing Meltan now so...) And I'd put whoever wins that poll and then a Gen 8 Pokemon (or Trainer) as DLC later. I know Japan did their own poll that Greninja won, but I think the poll being worldwide would change things! I dunno what the actual results would be, but I think I can safely guess Gengar would win a poll like that. So I'm just ganna go with that for this.

Anyway! I'd only be up to 61 characters. I'd go on to try my best to add:
Newcomers(8): :ultsimon:Simon, Phoenix Wright, Paper Mario, Waluigi, Ashley, Tetra, :094:Gengar, Sora
Echoes(8): :ultrichter:Richter, Edgeworth, Funky Kong, Ninten, Blood Falcon, Matthew(Isaac's Son), Shadow, Ken

DLC Newcomers(7): Gen 8 Pokemon Trainer with 3 Pokemon(Different stages of evos of the 3 starters, just like the Kanto Trainer we already have), Midna&WolfLink, Toad, Larry:4larry:(the Smash 4 moveset with a different Final Smash), Tails
DLC Echoes - Come in waves similar to Mii costumes!(16): Shadow Mario, Toadette, Dark Meta Knight, Galacta Knight, Black Shadow, Captain Louie, Captain Alph:4alph:, Octoling, Knuckles, Akuma, :4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig:

I thiiink that would make the most people happy! I went a bit crazy there, but reached 100 characters. I would then hope to, uh, retire haha

Uhh...well this was fun!!! I'll go back to analyzing yalls lists now~

BowserKing

Smash Lord
If I could change the roster, well the first game will stay the same, because it is perfect the way it is

Note, this is the safe version of it, there's a more wild version later on

Game 1 Roster: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff:

Melee Roster (Note, :ultdoc: will still be in the game, but as an alternate costume):
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultzelda:/:ultsheik::ultpichu::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultkingdedede::ultroy::ultgnw:

King Dedede was added as he shared moves with Kirby and Ice Climbers
Another note: Pokémon trainer is one fighter in this one.

Brawl Roster:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus:/:ultzss::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultzelda:/:ultsheik::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultganondorf::ultkingdedede::ultgnw::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultwario::ultsnake::ultike::ultpokemontrainer:(:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:):ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic::ultolimar::ultlucario::ultrob::ulttoonlink::ultwolf:

:ultmewtwo: and :ultpichu: were considered

Game 4 roster: Note :ultzss: and :ultsheik: are not sperate characters

:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus:/:ultzss::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda:/:ultsheik::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultganondorf::ultkingdedede::ultgnw::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultwario::ultike::ultdiddy::ultsonic: Shadow :ultolimar::ultlucario::ultrob::ulttoonlink::ultwolf::ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina::ultlittlemac::249::ultgreninja: Miis (:ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter:):ultpalutena::ultpacman: Midna :ultrobin::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultmewtwo::ultlucas::ultroy::ultryu::ultcloud::ultcorrinf::ultbayonetta:

Ultimate roster (Note, Dark Samus has her Early form as an echo of :ultzss:), also Miis only take one slot instead of 3:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus:/:ultzss::ultdarksamus:/ Early Form :ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultzelda:/:ultsheik::ultpichu::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultkingdedede::ultroy::ultchrom::ultgnw::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultwario::ultsnake::ultike::ultpokemontrainer:(:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:):ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic: Shadow :ultolimar::ultlucario::ultrob::ulttoonlink::ultwolf::ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina::ultlittlemac::249::ultgreninja: Miis (:ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter:) :ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultrobin::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultken::ultcloud::ultcorrinf::ultbayonetta::ultinkling::ultridley: Fawful :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultkrool::ultisabelle: Bandanna Dee :ultincineroar::ultpiranha::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie: :ult_terry::ultbylethf: :ultminmin :ultsteve: :ultsephiroth::ultpyra:with Frosmoth and Shantae being in Fighter's pass 2

Now the Wild version.

First game stays the same

Melee interestingly would only have 23 characters to save time

Note: :ultdoc: is an alternate costume, as with :ultyounglink:
Roster: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultkingdedede::249::ultpichu::ultzelda:/:ultsheik::ultfalco::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultmewtwo::ultganondorf:

Brawl's turn

Note: :ultroy: is an alternate costume

Roster: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus:/:ultzss::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultkingdedede::249::ultpichu::ultzelda:/:ultsheik::ultfalco::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultmewtwo::ultganondorf::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultwario::ultsnake::ultmarth::ultpokemontrainer:(:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:):ultdiddy: Dixie Kong :ultsonic::ultolimar::ultlucario::ultwolf:

Game 4 Roster: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus:/:ultzss::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultkingdedede::249::ultpichu::ultzelda:/:ultsheik::ultfalco::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultmewtwo::ultganondorf::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultwario::ultsnake::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultpokemontrainer:(:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:):ultdiddy: Dixie Kong :ultsonic: Shadow :ultolimar::ultlucario::ultwolf::ultvillager::ultmegaman: Midna :ultrosalina::ultpalutena::ultgreninja::ultpacman::ultlittlemac::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt:, with Fawful :ultlucas::ultike::ultryu: Adeleine :ultcorrinf:and :ultkrool: (Ballot Winner) as DLC

Ultimate version

Note: :ultchrom: is an alternate costume

Roster: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus:/:ultzss::ultdarksamus:/Earlier version :ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultjigglypuff::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser: Dark Bowser :ultkingdedede::249::ultpichu::ultzelda:/:ultsheik::ultfalco::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultmewtwo::ultganondorf::ultmetaknight: Dark Meta Knight :ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultwario::ultsnake::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultpokemontrainer:(:ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:) :ultdiddy:Dixie Kong :ultsonic: Shadow :ultolimar::ultlucario::ultwolf::ultvillager::ultmegaman: Midna :ultrosalina::ultpalutena::ultgreninja::ultpacman::ultlittlemac::ultshulk::ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt: Fawful :ultlucas::ultike::ultryu::ultken: Adeleine :ultcorrinf::ultkrool::ultinkling::ultridley::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultincineroar::ultisabelle: Shantae, Ray-Man, :ultminmin :ultrobinf::ultbayonetta: with :ultpiranha: :ultjoker:, Sylux, :ultbanjokazooie: :ultbylethf:, :ultsteve: Bio-Rex, Bandanna Dee, :ult_terry:, Frosmoth, Geno and :ultcloud:as DLC

Just to Clarify for this alternate version, Dark Meta Knight got revealed in June, R.O.B and Wii Fit Trainer got revealed in July, Ken, Incineroar and Dark Bowser got revealed in August, Shantae got revealed in September, Ray-Man and Min-Min got revealed in October and Robin and Bayonetta got revealed in November
New Update: Wolf replaces Pokémon Trainer in the safe version of Game 4

New Update: Steve confirmed, replaces Sylux in the safe version, while Sylux stays in the wild version. Also Sylux takes Hero’s spot in the Wild version.

New Update: Sephiroth and Pyra and Mythra are added to the safe version, while Cloud replaces Shovel Knight in the Wild version

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
64 (12 Fighters)
Starter::ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu:
Unlock-able::ultkingdedede::ultmarth::ultpit::112:
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Melee (26 Fighters)
Returning::ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultkingdedede::ultmarth::ultpit::112:

(UNDER CONSTRUCTION)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Here are my rosters

64: :ultmario::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultdk::ultfox::ultsamus::ultlittlemac::ultfalcon::ultluigi::ultness::052:

Melee:
:ultmario::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultdk::ultfox::ultsamus::ultlittlemac::ultfalcon::ultluigi::ultness::052::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultpichu::ultfalco::ultpichu::ultgnw::ultmarth::ultroy::ulticeclimbers:

Brawl:
:ultmario::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultdk::ultfox::ultsamus::ultlittlemac::ultfalcon::ultluigi::ultness::052::ultdoc::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultfalco::ultgnw::ultmarth::ulticeclimbers::ultzss::ultsnake::ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf::ultpit::ultolimar::ultlucas::ultlucario::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultwolf: Wario with a moveset based Wario Land and Waluigi

Smash 4:
:ultmario::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultdk::ultfox::ultsamus::ultlittlemac::ultfalcon::ultluigi::ultness::052::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultfalco::ultgnw::ultmarth::ultroy::ulticeclimbers::ultzss::ultsnake::ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf::ultpit::ultolimar::ultlucas::ultlucario::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede: Wario, Waluigi :ulttoonlink::ultbayonetta::ultbayonetta1::ultcloud::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultrobin::ultrobinf::ultrosalina::ultryu::ultshulk::ultwiifittrainer::ultwiifittrainerm::ultlucina:

Ultimate:

:ultmario::ultlink::ultpikachu::ultkirby::ultdk::ultfox::ultsamus::ultlittlemac::ultfalcon::ultluigi::ultness::052::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultfalco::ultgnw::ultmarth::ultroy::ulticeclimbers::ultzss::ultsnake::ultdiddy::ultsonic::ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf::ultpit::ultolimar::ultlucas::ultlucario::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede: Wario, Waluigi :ulttoonlink::ultbayonetta::ultbayonetta1::ultcloud::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultrobin::ultrobinf::ultrosalina::ultryu::ultshulk::ultwiifittrainer::ultwiifittrainerm::ultlucina::ultridley::ultdaisy::ultkrool::ultinkling::ultinklingboy::ultpiranha::ultken::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultdarksamus::ultwiifittrainerm:Decidueye, and Funky Kong

Last edited by a moderator:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Smash 64 would be the same. Diddy Kong, K. Rool and Ridley would be in Melee. I would have added Dixie Kong, Daisy and Lyn in Brawl. Ghirahim, Adeleine, Samurai Goroh and a non echo Dark Samus would be top priority newcomers of Smash Wii U/3DS. BOTW Zelda, Mimikyu, Cranky Kong, Pokey, and Wart are absolute must have Smash Ultimate newcomers.

My roster inputs aren't AT ALL dismissive of third party representation.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I think it's time I update my opinions on all of this since the thread is back.

In Smash Melee, my roster size is 20. There are technically 26 fighters, but I was abiding by the one unique newcomer or six clone characters rule and chose to add one unique newcomer. I will count Zelda and Sheik as one character in all regards since they can transform into each other in that game.

In Smash Brawl, my roster size is 37. There are technically 39 fighters, but I will count Zelda and Sheik as one character in all regards since they can transform into each other in that game. The same applies to Samus and Zero Suit Samus starting now. Pokémon Trainer is three seperate fighters in one, and since I do not plan to add a three in one fighter, I will not subtract it from the counter.

In Smash 4, my roster size is 56. There are technically 58 fighters, but I wish to keep Sheik and Zero Suit Samus able to transform into their respective counterparts, so I subtracted two from the total in order to count them as one.

In Smash Ultimate, my roster size is 80. There are technically 82 fighters, but I wish to keep Sheik and Zero Suit Samus able to transform into their respective counterparts, so I subtracted two from the total in order to count them as one. Pokémon Trainer is three seperate fighters in one, and since I do not plan to add a three in one fighter, I will not subtract it from the counter.

Smash 64 - It’s a roster of 12. There are no veterans to consider.
:ultmario::ultpeach::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultpit::ultmarth::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultness:
Smash Melee - It’s a roster of 20. No veterans are cut.
:ultbowser::ultdiddy::ultzelda::ultroy::ultmetaknight::ultfalco::ultmewtwo::ulticeclimbers:
Smash Brawl - It’s a roster of 37. No veterans are cut.
:ultluigi::ultyoshi::ultwario::ulttoonlink::ultganondorf::ultpalutena::ultike::ultkingdedede::ultwolf::ultlucario::ultgnw::ultlucas::ultfalcon::ultvillager::ultsnake::ultryu::ultsonic:
Smash 4 - It’s a roster of 56. No veterans are cut.
:ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultkrool:Wolf Link and Midna:ultridley::ultdarkpit:Lyn:ultrobin::ultgreninja::ultlittlemac::ultduckhunt::ultolimar::ultshulk::ultpacman::ultsimon::ultmegaman::ultcloud:Banjo and Kazooie:ultbayonetta:
Smash Ultimate - It’s a roster of 80. No veterans are cut.
Waluigi:ultpiranha:Dixie Kong, Skull Kid:ultdarksamus:Hades:ultcorrin:Bandana Dee:ultincineroar:Unnamed Final Evolution of Grookey:ultrob::ultisabelle:Issac:ultwiifittrainer:Elma, Rex and Pyra:ultinkling:Springman, Alucard:ultken:Steve, Sans:ultjoker:Hero
Not Included - Veterans that I would have never included up to this point in time.
:ultdoc::ultdaisy::ultyounglink::ultchrom::ultlucina::ultpokemontrainer::ultpichu::ultrichter::ultmiifighters:

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
64:
:ultmario:,:ultlink:,:ultyoshi:,:ultpikachu:,:ultsamus:,:ultfox:,:ultkirby:,:ultdk:, :ultpiranha:, :ultsimon:, :ultryu:, :141:

Melee:
:141:, :ultsimon:, :ultdoc:, :ultyoshi:, :ultpikachu:,:ultpiranha:,:ultdk:, :ultkirby:, :ultluigi:, :ultmario:, :ultsamus:, :ultlink:, :ultryu:, :ultfox:, :ultfalcon:, :ultmarth:, :ultfalco:, :ultbowser:, :ultsonic:, :ulticeclimbers:, :ult_terry:, :ultsnake:, :ultbanjokazooie:, :ultness:, :ultpeach:

Brawl:
:141:, :ultsonic:, :ult_terry:, :ultpiranha:, :ultsnake:, :ultyoshi:, :ultsamus:, :ultryu:, :ultsimon:, :ultbanjokazooie:, :ultness:, :ultpokemontrainer:, :sheilda: (they switch again), :ultluigi:, :ultmarth:, :ultpikachu:, :ultlink:, :ulticeclimbers:, :ultfox:, :ultrob:, :ultmario:, :ultdk:, :ultkirby:, :ultpit:, :ultbowser:, :ultpeach:, :ultzss:, :ultfalcon:, :ultdoc:, Chimchar, :ultfalco:, :ultroy:, :ultpacman:, :160:

Sm4sh:
:160:, Chimchar, :141:, :ultdarksamus:, :ultpiranha:, :ultyoshi:,:ultsnake:,:ultsimon:,:ultshulk:,:ultwario:,:ult_terry:,:ultsonic:,:ultfox:,:ultpit:,:ultpikachu:,:ultridley:,:ultrob:,:ultwiifittrainer:,:ultness:, :ultpacman:,:ultbanjokazooie:, :ultbayonetta:, :ultisabelle:, :ulttoonlink:,:ultluigi:,:ultzelda:,:ultsheik:(They don't switch now),:ultpeach:, :ultryu:, :ultkrool:, :ultlucina:, :ultlink:, :ultmegaman:,:ultpokemontrainer:, solo :ultcharizard:, solo :ultsquirtle:, solo :ultivysaur:, Scorpion, Lara Croft, Chase McCain, :ultbowser:,:ultkirby:,:ultinkling:, :ultkingdedede:, :ultdk:, :ultlink:, :ultduckhunt:,:ulticeclimbers:, :nessecho:, :ultgreninja:,:ultcorrin:,:ultlucas:,:ultbowserjr:,:ultcloud:,:ultolimar:,:ultbrawler:,:ultswordfighter:,:ultgunner:

Pupp135

Smash Journeyman
I like the rosters overall, but here’s my take. Also, I’ll do this without hindsight.
:4mario::4luigi::4bowser::4dk::4yoshi::4link: :4marth: :4kirby::4fox::4pikachu: :4samus::4falcon:

When deciding my original 8, I tried to think of the most relevant and popular franchises in 1997. The international staples at the time were Mario, DK, LoZ, and Kirby. Also, Pocket Monsters and Star Fox blew up around this time, so it’d make sense to add the mascot/protagonist of these series. For my seventh fighter, I went with Marth since Fire Emblem was popular in Japan, and Geneology came out recently. After this, there isn’t another major franchise without diving into another Mario subseries (Mario Kart, Yoshi, Wario). Going from this list, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, and Yoshi are all appropriate choices. I went with Yoshi in the end since he has his own series. While she is not in the starting roster, I’d like to add Samus since her franchise is influential (pioneer for female protagonists and a genre of gaming). For my other unlocks, Luigi is an obvious pick since he’s both popular and easy to make. Finally, I’d probably decide to make Bowser a playable character since he’d be my final boss in 1P game. While I want to say that Ness is my last secret character, he was the secret character who took a decent amount of development time, so I’ll assume I don’t have enough development time, so Falcon will take his place since F-Zero X came during development, and he’s a bounty hunter like Samus, so I could make him pretty easily. If there are any honorable mentions, it would be Ness since I like the idea of a psychic character.
:4mario::4dk::4link::4marth:
:4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu:
Luigi: Same as original.
Bowser: Same as Jigglypuff’s.
Samus: Same as Ness’s.
Falcon: Same as original.
Melee
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::ultdaisy::4dk::4yoshi::4wario2::4link::zeldamelee:/:4sheik: :4ganondorf: :ultyounglink:
:4marth::4feroy::4kirby::4fox::4falco::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::ultpichu::4samus::4ness::4falcon:
For the sequel, I should probably first address the Smash 2 poll since 2 requested fighters in the canon poll (Marth and Bowser) are already added. Since I can only extrapolate from what I have, Wario and Peach would probably get a decent chunk of Bowser’s votes. Also, I can see some votes going to Jigglypuff for its popularity at the time in Japan, and I can see Ness getting a decent number of votes in place of Mr. Saturn.
Now for newcomers, I will start with Peach and Wario since Peach is the most recognizable female from Nintendo, and Wario Land was a major franchise at the time.
Since OoT and Pokemania were huge, I’d add a character from both LoZ and Pokemon. For LoZ, the most prominent picks are Ganondorf and Zelda, and I ended up with both since Ganondorf was a front runner from a popular game, and Zelda could transform into another person, which would be very interesting in terms of gameplay. Since Mewtwo was popular and highly requested, it would be my next choice. Also, I’d add Jigglypuff to the roster since it was one of the more relevant choices at the time along with Charizard, Meowth, and Mew, and it is easy to develop, helping pad out the roster with little time that I have for this sequel.
While King Dedede was highly requested, I probably wouldn’t add him since I’d prefer to add a character from another series. While I’d like to add a retro character, Zelda is already an unpredictable choice for her transformation gimmick and lack of popularity on the poll. I will add a character from a relevant series, and Earthbound 64 is assumed to be released, so I’d add Ness, who probably would’ve had a good number of votes.
Now that I have my unique fighters, I need to pick clones since 6 clones takes less time than a unique fighter. From Melee’s clones, I feel confident that I’d conceive of most except for Dr. Mario. I like the contrast between the different Links (Young Link was also on the poll), Falco seems like an interesting choice for a clone, and Pichu and Roy (don’t have to worry about number of FE fighters yet since complaints started in For) are easy promotional picks. Since I would think of adding a Daisy alt, why not add her to the roster. While I could technically add another clone, I think that I would probably just use whatever development time is left to do some minor tweaks or if possible, make Trophy Snag or Race to the Finish available outside of Classic Mode. If I was forced to add another clone, I’ll just say to add Metal Mario since another Mario wouldn’t be farfetched if I already have two Links. Also, I’d probably make Young Link based on the original LoZ.
Honorable Mentions
Dr. Mario/Armorless Samus: I’d probably add them as alts instead of clones.
Diddy Kong: Major DKC character but has Rare as a hurdle.
King Dedede: Requested character, but I wanted to be experimental with some of my choices.
Meowth/Charizard: Major pokemon at the time, but I went with Mewtwo and Jigglypuff.
Retros: I like the idea for them, but I probably would have not focused on having many unpredictable choices.
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4dk::4yoshi::4wario2:
:4link::4samus::4marth::4falcon::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu:
From my original roster, I feel that the unlockables from 64 should be starters since Luigi and Bowser are incredibly popular, Samus gives us more options for female characters at the start, and Falcon is relevant enough to put in the start. Like in the original Melee, Peach remains as a starter for her popularity. Like Peach, Wario is a popular pick, so he would be a reasonable starter. For notable changes in unlockables, Ness is now unlockable since he is less popular than Peach and Wario, and I wanted to make the 64 cast starters, and I have Zelda as unlockable since she was unexpected. Just like the other clones, Daisy is unlockable.
Pichu: Beat Classic Mode or play 100 matches.
Falco: Beat Century Smash or play 200 matches.
Ness: Beat Classic/Adventure with 10 characters or play 300 matches.
Jigglypuff: Beat Target Test with the starting cast or play 400 matches
Young Link: Play Vs. mode with the starting cast or play 500 matches
Daisy: Beat Classic/Adventure as Peach or play 600 matches
Mewtwo: Play for 20 cumulative hours or play 700 matches.
Ganondorf: Beat Classic Mode with 10 characters or play 800 matches
Roy: Beat Classic/Adventure as Marth or play 900 matches.
Zelda/Sheik: Beat Classic Mode on Very Hard or play 1000 matches.
Brawl
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::ultdaisy::4dk::4diddy:Dixie Kong:4yoshi::4wario2:
:4link::4ganondorf::4zelda:/:4sheik::4tlink::4marth::4myfriends::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4fox::4falco::wolf:
:4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::pt::4lucario::4samus::4ness::4pit::4falcon::4villager::4olimar: :popo::snake::4sonic:
Before I address newcomers, I’ll go into who could be cut from the roster. The obvious cuts are Roy and Pichu since they were ads that have fulfilled their job, and Young Link who is just another version of Link. Although this character was cut, I’d try to keep Mewtwo even if I have to restart from scratch and leave out a newcomer. This would leave me with only 22 veterans.
Before I go into last minute additions, I will allow myself to add 13 newcomers at the moment since Daisy more or less fills out the semiclone spot from Melee Ganondorf, and Jiggplypuff more or less fills Lucas‘s spot.
I’ll start off with King Dedede and Diddy Kong as my first newcomers since they were the most important characters (excluding Pokemon Trainer, but I’ll get to them next) missing from the roster.
The most important character missing from Melee was Pokemon Trainer, but they use their Pokemon to fight, so they would be implemented similar to their Brawl version except for the stamina and type advantage features. Pokemon Trainer would have costumes for Red and Leaf.
In addition to adding these major characters, I want a couple new franchises, and Animal Crossing and Pikmin are the most popular at the time. Villager has both male and female costumes.
In addition to these new franchises, I want retro characters that would surprise people, and Pit would work best since they have better moveset potential than most of the others, and he feels more interesting than Little Mac. In addition to Pit, I could see myself trying to make Ice Climbers (probably separate but alts of each other) work at this point since they feel like a more interesting choice than Little Mac.
Since the Sinnoh region is on its way, I’ll add a Pokemon to promote it, and Lucario was the one heavily used.
I also want an FE character since the series was recently localized, and Intelligent Systems recommended Ike.
Since I only have one more newcomer before Snake, I’d go with Meta Knight for my first one since he was a highly requested character at the time.
Now, I’ll go into the third parties, with Sonic and Snake being the choices since they had personal requests.
Since Brawl had enough time for 39 fighters, I’ll have room for 3 semi-clone characters and Sonic. For the last minute or cut fighters, I could see myself considering Wolf, Young Link, and Dixie Kong since the first one was requested, Young Link highlights different Link reincarnations, and I would’ve had Dixie as Diddy’s partner.
Honorable Mentions:
Toad: He is a major character, but I wanted to experiment.
Krystal: A requested pick, but I just prioritized others.
Lyn/Eirika/Ephiraim: Other protagonists from localized FE games, but going with Intelligent System’s choice.
Little Mac: Another retro pick, but I went with personal preferances.
Isaac: I had my priorites in other areas.
Roy/Pichu: It would just a clone cut during development just like Dr. Mario/Toon Zelda.
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4dk::4diddy::4yoshi:
:4wario2::4link::4ganondorf::4samus::4marth::4myfriends::4falcon:
:4kirby::4dedede::4fox::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::pt::4villager::4olimar:
From Brawl’s original roster, there were 14 unlockables and 21 (technically 25 starters), so I’ll have 22 (technically 24) starters. I feel that Ganondorf and Jigglypuff can be easily promoted. From newcomers, I think that Diddy, Dedede, Ike, Villager, Olimar, and Pokemon Trainer should be starters. Also, Zelda becomes the first unlockable since the transformation gimmick is no longer a surprise. Meta Knight is unlockable since we don’t need 3 Kirby starters, and all retros are unlockable for their unpredictability.
Zelda/Sheik: Beat Classic Mode.
Ness: Beat Classic Mode without continues.
Falco: Beat Century Smash.
Meta Knight: Beat Classic as Kirby or King Dedede on hard+.
Pit: Complete 20 event matches.
Lucario: Beat all levels of target test as one character.
Snake: Play Shadow Moses 15 times or complete Adventure Mode.
Daisy: Beat a Target Test level with the starting characters.
Mewtwo: Beat Classic Mode on Intense difficulty.
Ice Climber: Collect 250 trophies.
Sonic: Play for 10 hours or complete Adventure Mode.
Young Link, Lucas, and Wolf are unlocked by completing adventure mode.
In terms of an adventure mode, I probably wouldn’t have done Subspace. Instead, I probably would’ve done something closer to Melee’s adventure mode with boss fights sprinkled into it (Bowser, K. Rool, Ganon, Ridley, Marx, Rayquaza, and the series original boss). Beating adventure mode gives you automatically Snake, Sonic, and the three bonus fighters (Young Link, Wolf, and Lucas). Like subspace, there are savepoints after each level, but you can pick any character that you want for each level. Cutscenes would mostly be the introduction to a new universe and the appearance of the boss characters.
Since I moved a couple characters to unlockable, I’d do character announcements differently:
E3: Mario, Link, Kirby, Pikachu, King Dedede, Villager, Pokemon Trainer, Snake, Fox
Between E3 and Sonic’s reveal: Peach, Bowser, Ike, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Yoshi, Marth, Ganondorf
Sonic’s reveal starters: Luigi, Samus, Wario, Olimar, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon

For
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4bowserjr:Toad, Toadette:ultdaisy::4dk::4diddy:Dixie Kong:4yoshi::4wario2:
:4link:(SS):ultyounglink:(ALbW):4ganondorf:(TP):zeldamelee:(OoT):4sheik:(OoT):4marth::4myfriends::ultchrom::4lucina::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight:
:4fox::4falco::wolf::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4lucario::4greninja::4samus::ultridley::4ness::4lucas::4pit::4palutena::4darkpit:
:4falcon::4villager::4olimar::4littlemac:Isaac:4shulk::popo::4duckhunt::4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::4mii:
DLC: Tails:4feroy::ultpichu::rosalina::4ryu::4cloud::4bayonetta:
From Brawl to For, Jigglypuff and 4 semiclones remained from the 33 fighters, and since my Brawl roster has 39 fighters, I can start with some of the ”easy” cuts, which are Pokemon Trainer, and Snake for limitations/copyright issues, leaving me with 34 characters (Ice Climbers, Red, and Leaf would have Mii costumes). I wouldn’t like to cut Pokemon Trainer, but it feels wrong for me to just keep Charizard over the others since the trainer was the character I meant to add instead of the three starters as standalone fighters. Since I cannot see myself adding three different Mii fighters, I don’t see the need to cut anyone else.
Going to my newcomers, I’ll start with the requested characters, including Mega Man, Little Mac, Palutena, Chrom, Bowser Jr., and Ridley. For Chrom, I‘d probably would have given him some lance moves as a way to differentiate him from Marth and Ike. While Ridley was a boss character in Brawl, he was a requested character, and I don’t plan on doing another Adventure mode now that I’m making 2 entries at once.
Like previous rosters, I want a newer series, and Xenoblade fits the quota really well.
Miis are the most important Nintendo character missing, so they’re an obvious inclusion. Since I would make them more like a mashup of Wii Sports and Wii Fit, I would just use the development time of the other Mii fighters for keeping Wolf and Lucas.
The Khalos region would be introduced during development, so I’d add a Pokemon from this region, and Greninja works well enough.
Since Bandai Namco is helping with this game, a character from this company would be reasonable, and Myamoto wanted Pac-Man.
Now, I have room for 3 more new unique characters (While it’s easier to bring back veterans, most of the veteran that I cut are harder to add in anyway). While I’d like to add another obscure character, and Duck Hunt feels like the only plausible option for me. Also, I’ll add a character from a less popular franchise, and Isaac or Matthew feels like an appropriate pick since Isaac was requested.
For my next newcomer, I was on the fence among Rosalina, Toad, Tails, and Ghirahim since Rosalina was a character being pushed for the Mario series, Toad is a major character still missing from the roster, Tails is a major character from a third party series with a character, and Ghirahim is the villain of the most recent Zelda title. In the end, I went with Toad since he had the largest legacy.
For my last newcomer, I’d actually decide to add in Mewtwo since I already havena strong lineup, so why not bring back a character that people wanted back.
For the clones, they were last minute alt promotions. In terms of alts, I’d think of Dr. Mario, Armorless Samus, Toadette, Matthew, Lucina (Chrom is default choice), Alph, and Dark Pit. From these, I’d say Toadette, Lucina, and Dark Pit work well enough.
For DLC, I could use someone to promote a new game, but I want to go with characters with some legacy. I went with Rosalina (I guess Mario Maker counts for promotion) and Tails for being popular characters. Also, the third parties from the canon game are good as is, and I’ll add back Roy and Pichu since these are the only veterans I can feasibly add. In Mewtwo’s place, we’ll have Tails as the bonus fighter.
In terms of ending the DLC, Cloud and Bayonetta would be in the end together.
Honorable Mention:
Alph: Time constraints and console limitations.
Pokemon Trainer: I’d rather keep him, but I think that there should still be a 3DS version, and making characters exclusive to one console feels like a greedy move.
:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4bowserjr::4dk::4diddy::4yoshi::4wario2::4littlemac:
:4link::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4samus::ultridley::4pit::4palutena::4marth::4myfriends::ultchrom:
:4falcon::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4fox::4falco::4ness::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4lucario::4greninja:
:4villager::4olimar::4shulk::4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::4mii:
Going to For’s secret characters, there were 37 starting characters if we counted the Miis as one, so I’ll just give us two extra starters after Miis. If I use For’s base roster as a reference, Zero Suit Samus, Charizard, Rosalina, Wii Fit Trainer, and Robin are absent base game, so I’ll have Toad, Wario, Ness, Jigglypuff, and Chrom take these spots. also, I’d have Ganondorf as a starter instead since I’d prefer the full triforce at the start.
Daisy, Bowser Jr., Ice Climber, Isaac, Duck Hunt, Mewtwo, Young Link, Wolf, Dixie Kong, Toadette, Lucina, Dark Pit
Ultimate: Take For’s roster, add Pokemon Trainer and Snake, Ultimate’s remaining canonical newcomers except Piranha Plant, and then add Waluigi, Tom Nook, Rayman, Matthew, and Alph. Also, Zelda and Sheik transform again.
Inkling showcases a new IP.
Waluigi and K. Rool were long time requests.
Simon was a requested third party.
Isabelle and Tom are major characters in AC.
Incinoroar was a promotional pokemon, and I wouldn’t know if Mimickyu even existed, let alone if it would become popular.
Since Daisy and Chrom are already added, this changes my choices for echoes. People wanted Dark Samus, so she can join. I feel that Richter and Ken were interesting choices. Since Matthew and Alph were alts in For, they seem like easy promotions. Finally, I’d choose Toadette since she made a comeback in 2014.
For the bonus DLC, I feel that I could not see myself adding Piranha Plant, so I’ll go with a Rayman instead since he was a popular request in terms of third parties.
Nintendo picked DLC, and even then, I have no objections towards it (while I’d pick Tidus over Sephiroth, but it’s Square we’re dealing with).
In terms of characters who missed the cut, they would unfortunately be Dr. Mario, Mr. Game & Watch, Zero Suit Samus, R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, Corrin, the separate Mii fighters, and Piranha Plant. Instead of being separate fighters, I’d probably just add Dr. Mario and Zero Suit Samus as alts of Mario and Samus respectively. Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B, Wii Fit Trainer, and Piranha Plant are very farfetched ideas. For Robin, Chrom would be the first Awakening character to add, and I would think of a way to make him different from Marth and Ike (I’d put him in Chrom’s final smash). For Corrin, I’m just not in the mood to promote a new game, but they’d be my first choice if there was a promotional pick since the Wii U flopped. I’d probably just make the Miis into one fighter into three.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Journeyman
I’ll for fun also do a list of changes for game modes and stages
In terms of gamemodes, I would say that 1P-game, training, and Target Test could stay, but I don’t see myself adding Board the Platforms. Since Board the Platforms wouldn’t exist, I’ll let Race to Finish be available whenever. Also my 1-P game format would probably be similar to Melee’s, where the order would be this:
1v1, 2v2, 1v1, 3v1 giant character, Target Test, 1v1, Fighting Polygon Team, Race to the Finish, 1vMetal Fighter, Boss fight
Since I think that I would make Bowser my boss fighter for the first game, he will be fought on Bowser’s Stadium from Mario 64 (has the Smash Remix layout). Also, Duel Zone would be in the layout of Final Destination, which is where the Polygon Fighting Team and metal fighter are fought.
Going onto stages, Mushroom Kingdom would replace Peach’s Castle as the starting Mario stage since Mushroom Kingdom is a more notable area and Pokemon Stadium would replace Saffron City since Pokemon Stadium would showcase Pokemon battle arenas. Since I’d make Marth a starting character, I’ll give Fire Emblem a starting stage with Archaneia/Akkanea, which would probably just be the first layout of Castle Seige. Since I would initally have the idea of an unlockable Samus, I would instead have an unlockable Metroid stage instead of another Mario stage, and I feel that Crateria is an appropriate fit since it is the starting area of Super Metroid.
Stages: Mushroom Kingdom, Kongo Jungle, Hyrule Castle, Archaneia/Akkanea, Super Happy Tree, Dream Land, Sector Z, Pokemon Stadium, Crateria (Beat 1P game with Samus), Duel Zone (Beat Race to the Finish with the starting cast), Bowser’s Stadium (Beat 1P game with the starting cast)
In terms of single player, Classic Mode would probably have a similar pattern to the one in Melee, and all minigames can stay. Just like 1P game, the fights for Fighting Polygon Team and Bowser will be on Duel Zone and Bowser’s Stadium respectively. Since Ice Climber and Earthbound do not have a starting character, a Fire Emblem stage would be added instead. for this mode. The final boss would be a series original, and they would be fought on Duel Zone. All Star, Event Mode, and Mob Smash would be the same more or less, but the last fighter in All Star is always randomized. I don’t think that I would’ve done Home Run Contest, and instead, I’ll make Trophy Snag and Race to the Finish available for single player.
For Vs. Mode, I’d instead make matches 6 player compatible instead of a Tourney mode, but like 8-player Smash, I would leave out some stages from 6 player mode (anything with a following four will not be compatible).
For other modes, there’s just trophies and a trophy lottery, so they can stay.
Onto the stages:
The original 11 franchises, F-Zero, and Ice Climber will at least get one stage. For the Mario franchises, Princess Peach’s Castle and Bowser’s Castle would my first choices, where the latter map would have a lava pit like in the fangames. For the other 10 series, I’ll do Gangplank Galleon (like SSF2), Minecart Carnage, Pyramid of Power, Clock Town (like SSF2), Norfair, Dolhr Keep, Yoshi’s Island Melee, Fountain of Dreams, Shiver Star, Wario’s Castle, Corneria (Smash Remix), Onett, Goldenrod City (just like Saffron City), and Pokefloats. For our F-Zero and Ice Climber stages, I think that the 3DS verision of Mute City and an Icicle Mountain that reuses Popo’s Target Test level would be good fits. Since I want to stage from an obscure game, Duck Hunt would be a good fit simce this game was an important game during the NES era. For additional stages, I think that another Mario stage could work, and I’ll go with Subcon as a throwback to Super Mario Bros. 2. In terms of retro stages, I’ll add Mushroom Kingdom, Hyrule Castle, Archanea/Akkanea, Dream Land, and Pokemon Stadium. For my last 2 stages, I’ll do another Yoshi and Star Fox map with Yoshi’s Story (original version), and Venom.
Stages: Mushroom Kingdom, Princess Peach’s Castle, Bowser’s Castle (4), Subcon (play 50 matches), Gangplank Galleon, Minecart Carnage (4), Hyrule Castle, Clock Town (4), Pyramid of Power (play 100 matches), Norfair, Dolhr Keep, Archanea (beat 15 Melee), (4), Yoshi’s Island, Yoshi‘s Story (play 150 matches) (4), Fountain of Dreams (4), Shiver Star (play 200 matches), Dream Land (Beat Target Test with all fighters) (4), Wario’s Castle, Corneria, Venom (play 250 matches), Goldenrod City, Pokefloats (4), Pokemon Stadium (Beat Race to the finish with all fighters), Mute City (4), Icicle Mountain (Beat All-Star with Ice Climbers) (4), Duck Hunt, Duel Zone (Beat All-Star) (4), Bowser’s Stadium (Beat all events)
For single player, I think that I would keep a similar format to Melee’s but remove the Trophy Snag mode. Subspace was addressed a in the post above. Target Smash, Mob Smash, and Event Mode would stay as is, but Race to the Finish would take Home Run Contest’s spot.
Going into Vs, Mode, let’s just assume that Rotation gets cut for 6 player battles.
For Vault, I’d probably remove the Masterpiece feauture even if it was a nice idea. We’ll use that time for polishing gameplay or other modes, but Stage Builder and Coin Launcher stay.
For returning stages, I’ll first pick Mushroom Kingdom, Gangplank Galleon, Hyrule Castle, Archanea, Yoshi’s Island, Fountain of Dreams, Corneria, Pokemon Stadium, Norfair, and Wario’s Castle. For new stages, Delfino Plaza. Luigi’s Mansion, Figure-8 Circuit, Bridge of Eldin, Pirate Ship, Frigate Orpheon, Yoshi’s Island, Halberd, Spear Pillar, Wario Ware, New Pork City, Smashville, Distant Planet, Shadow Moses Island, and Green Hill Zone feel like reasonable additions. In terms of Star Fox and Kid Icarus, I would instead add Krazoa Palace for a non-ship level and Underworld since that’s the start of Kid Icarus. While I like Summit, I‘d probably just say bring back Icicle Mountain since Ice Climber is only one game with not much variation. For my F-Zero stage, I’d say to add Big Blue as it is. As a consolation prize for Golden Sun, I’ll add in Venus Lighthouse, which would probably look like the SSF2 one. Instead of Rumble Falls and 75m, I’d do Kongo Falls and 25m since the layouts are less confusing, and 25m is the best known part of the original arcade game. Pictochat is a fun, unique choice, and I’ll double down and add the Wii Menu. Since I liked having a reference to Duck Hunt, that stage would also return, and just to have all veteran franchises get a returning stage, I’ll be adding Mute City and Onett to the mix. For my last stage, I want to add a Fire Emblem stage, which will be Serenes Forest.
Stages: Mushroom Kingdom, Delfino Plaza, Luigi’s Mansion, Figure-8 Circuit, Gangplank Galleon, Kongo Falls, 25m, Hyrule Castle, Bridge of Eldin, Pirate Ship (4), Norfair, Frigate Orpheon (4), Archanea (4), Serenes Forest (4), Yoshi’s Island (M), Yoshi’s (B) (4), Fountain of Dreams (4), Halberd (4), Corneria (4), Krazoa Palace, Wario’s Castle, Pokemon Stadium, Spear Pillar, Onett, New Pork City, Mute City (4), Big Blue (4), Icicle Moutnain (4), Underworld, Smashville, Venus Lighthouse, Duck Hunt, Pictochat (4), Wii Menu, Shadow Moses Island, Green Hill Zone (4), Duel Zone (4), Bowser’s Stadium
From the 3DS gamemodes, I’d say that I’d change Target Blast and Home-Run Contest into Target Test and Race to the Finish. Otherwise, I’d just make 5 player battles a thing which might come at the expense of Street Smash. In terms of For Wii U gamemodes, I’d give Classic Mode and Event Mode a more traditional approach similar to the older games. For both games, I’d make All-Star randomized. I probably wouldn’t have done Master and Crazy Orders since they feel kind of redundant with the fact that I have challenges and Event Mode. After that, I would turn Smash Tour into something closer to a Mario Party ripoff. With the different Classic Mode approaches, a different maximum number of players per match, Event Mode, and Smash Run vs. Smash Tour, I feel that the games are distinct enough before going into stages.
From the 3DS version, there were 34 stages in the base game with 8 being added later, and the Wii U version had 48ish base game. From the 3DS version, I’d say that 3D Land, Rainbow Road, Paper Mario, Spirit Train, Gerudo Valley, Unova Pokemon League, Arena Ferox, Magicant, Bomb Reset Forest, Boxing Ring, Tomadaci Life, Find Mii, Gaur Plain, Balloon Fight, Living Room, Wiley Castle, and Pac-Maze can stay. Since Town and City and Smashville are similar, I would put Town and City in the 3DS version and Tortimer Island in the Wii U version. Instead of GB Dream Land being the Kirby stage, we’d have Fountain of Dreams return instead. For the Star Fox stage, we’ll say that Sector Z returns. For the Metroid and F Zero Stages, I’ll go with Norfair and Mute City. Also, I’ll choose Wario Ware and Distant Planet for Pikmin and Wario stages. For my Sonic stage, I’ll pick Green Hill Zone. I’m fine with my Yoshi stage being Yoshi’s Island from Brawl. For the DK stage, I’ll choose Gangplank Galleon. Instead of a new Pictochat, the old one returns. Instead of another new Pokemon stage, I’ll bring back Spear Pillar. Instead of a Fourth new Mario stage, Icicle Mountain takes that position, and Flat Zone X would just be called Game & Watch. For my retro Mario stage, I’ll bring back Bowser’s Castle.
For SSB WiiU, I’m fine keeping Mushroom Kingdom U, Mario Galaxy, Jungle Hijynx, Wooly World, Skyloft, Pyrosphere (minus Ridley), Garden of Hope, Wuhu Island, Pilotwings, Wii Fit Studio, Gaur Plain (has the 3DS layout), Boxing Ring, and Wiley Castle. Instead of Mario Circuit, Rainbow Road is added instead. For Pokemon, FE, Animal Crossing, and Pac-Man, I’d replace the WiiU stages with 3DS ones (Prism Tower, Arena Ferox, Tortimer Island, and Pac-Maze). For Kirby, I’d add a newer Kirby map instead with Cookie Country. Instead of the elaborate nature of Orbital Gate, I’d probably just use a subsection. I’d still add Palutena’s Temple, but size would be drastically reduced. Flat Zone X would be just called Game & Watch. Instead of Wrecking Crew, I’d add an Excitebike Stage. For retro stages, I’d keep Luigi’s Mansion but replace Delfino and Figure 8 Circuit with Mushroom Kingdom and Icicle Mountain. Kongo Jungle stays, but 25m takes 75m’s spot. Since Temple is not a stage, I’d have Hyrule Castle in its place. In place of Norfair, Crateria returns in this version. The Yoshi and Kirby stages are fine as is, and the Stage Fox stage becomes Corneria, which would have Lylat’s layout anyway. Pokemon Stadium takes Pokemon Stadium 2’s spot. The retro FE stage is Archanea. Onett stays, and Bug Blue is the the F-Zero stage. Smashville stays as is. For variety, a stage from Sonic Adventure is added instead. Instead of Skyworld, Venus Lighthouse is added instead. Duel Zone would get a deluxe form where it has Battlefield’s layout.
DLC: the three third party stages, Mario Maker, Pirate Ship, and Miiverse stay. Venus Lighthouse is the 3DS extra. For the returning retro stages, I’ll go with Princess Peach’s Castle, Goldenrod City, and Wario’s Castle.
For3DS stages: Bowser’s Stadium, Duel Zone, 3D Land, Rainbow Road, Paper Mario, Bowser’s Castle, Gangplank Galleon, Yoshi’s Island Brawl, Warioware, Spirit Tracks, Gerudo Valley, Norfair, Arena Ferox, Fountain of Dreams, Sector Z, Magicant, Unova Pokemon League, Spear Pillar, Mute City, Icicle Mountain, Bomb Reset Forest, Town and City, Boxing Ring, Tomadachi Life, Find Mii, Gaur Plain, Green Hill Zone, Wiley Castle, Pac-Maze, Duck Hunt, Pictochat, Game & Watch, Balloon Fight, Living Room. For DLC: Venus Lighthouse, Princess Peach’s Castle, Wario’s Castle, Goldenrod City, Mario Maker, Suzaku Castle, Midgar, Umbra Clock Tower
WiiU stages: Bowser’s Stadium, Duel Zone, Duel Zone Deluxe, Mushroom Kingdom U, Mario Galaxy, Rainbow Road, Mushroom Kingdom, Luigi’s Mansion, Jungle Hijynx, Kongo Jungle, 25m, Wooly World, Yoshi’s Island Melee, Gamer, Skyloft, Hyrule Castle, Bridge of Eldin, Pyrosphere, Crateria, Arena Ferox, Archanea, Cookie Country, Halberd, Orbital Gate (reduced), Corneria (Remix layout), Onett, Prism Tower, Pokemon Stadium, Big Blue, Icicle Mountain, Tortimer Island, Smashville, Palutena’s Temple (reduced), Garden of Hope, Duck Hunt, Boxing Ring, Gaur Plain (reduced), Wii Fit Studio, Wuhu Island, Pilotwings, Venus Lighthouse, Egg Carrier, Wiley Castle, Pac-Maze, Game & Watch, Excitebike Arena
For DLC: Miiverse, Princess Peach’s Castle, Wario’s Castle, Goldenrod City, Pirate City, Mario Maker, Suzaku Castle, Midgar, Umbra Clock Tower
In terms of changes, I probably would’ve gone to the traditional approach for Classic Mode, which might free up time to make Race to the Finish and Boss Battles as their own Modes. Also, I would’ve fit Rayquaza into a boss fit insteal of Galleom. In terms of online, there would be an unranked mode, and there would be permanent options for 1v1 and FFA tourneys. Also, I’m unsure which stages would’ve been left behind, and we’ll assume Custom Moves were cut due to time constraints. The new stages are fine as is, so no changes to them. If I had enough time, I would’ve added some customization to Squad Strike in terms of lives for Elimination and Tag Team.

Last edited:

txhy8

Smash Cadet
Here's mine(It's basically a expanded version of each roster)

Smash 64-Mario,Donkey Kong,Link,Samus,Yoshi,Kirby,Fox,Pikachu,Luigi,Ness,Capatin Falcon,Jigglypuff,Bowser,King Dedede,Marth,Mewtwo

Smash Melee-Dr Mario,Mario,Luigi,Peach,Bowser,Yoshi,Wario,Donkey Kong,Samus,Ness,Lucas,Falco,Fox,Capatin Falcon,Kirby,King Dedede,Ice Climbers,Ganondorf,Sheik,Zelda,Link,Young Link,Pichu,Pikachu,Jiggypuff,Mewtwo,Snake,Sonic,Banjo and Kazooie,Pit,Mr Game and Watch,Marth,Roy

Smash Brawl-Mario,Donkey Kong,Link,Samus,Kirby,Fox,Pikachu,Marth,Mr Game and Watch,Sonic,Luigi,Diddy Kong,Zelda,Zero Suit Samus,Meta Knight,Falco,Pokemon Trainer,Ike,Roy,Snake,Peach,Dixie Kong,Sheik,Pit,King Dedede,Kyrstal,Mewtwo,Issac,Dr Mario,Pac Man,Bowser,Wario,Ganondorf,Little Mac,Ice Climbers,Wolf,Lucario,Ness,Young Link,Banjo and Kazooie,Yoshi,Geno,Toon Link,R.O.B,Olimar,Capatin Falcon,Jiggypuff,Lucas,Pichu

Smash 4- Mario,Luigi,Peach,Bowser,Dr Mario,Yoshi,Wario,Geno,Bowser Jr,Rosalina and Luma,Donkey Kong,Diddy Kong,Dixie Kong,King K Rool,Link,Zelda,Impa,Young Link,Sheik,Ganondorf,Toon Link,Samus,Zero Suit Samus,Pit,Paultena,Dark Pit,Marth,Roy,Ike,Robin,Lucinia,Corrin,Kirby,Meta Knight,King Dedede,Fox,Falco,Wolf,Kyrstal,Ness,Lucas,Pikachu,Squritle,Ivvysuar,Charizard,Jiggypuff,Mewtwo,Pichu,Lucario,Zoroak,Gerninja,Mr Game and Watch,Little Mac,Duck Hunt,Popo,R.O.B,Takamaru,Capatin Falcon,Villager,Issac,Olimar,Wii Fit Trainer,Shulk,Pac Man,Snake,Ryu,Mega Man,Sonic,Rayman,Cloud,Banjo and Kazooie,Beyonetta,Mii Fighters

Smash Ultimate-Mario,Dr Mario,Donkey Kong,Funky Kong,Link,Young Link,Samus,Dark Samus,Yoshi,Birdo,Kirby,Fox,Slippy,Pikachu,Raichu,Luigi,Gooigi,Ness,Ninnten,Capatin Falcon,Black Shadow,Jiggypuff,Bowser,Dry Bowser,King Dedede.Marth,Lucinia,Mewtwo,Shadow Mewtwo,Peach,Daisy,Pit,Dark Pit,Ice Climbers,Zelda,Hilda,Sheik,Impa,Falco,Lucas,Ganondorf,Wario,Roy,Chrom,Mr Game and Watch,Sonic,Shadow,Snake,Banjo and Kazooie,Meta Knight,Galata Knight,Issac,Mathew,Zero Suit Samus,Geno,Pac Man,Ms Pac Man,Ike,Black Knight,Pokemon Trainer,Diddy Kong,Dixie Kong,Kyrstal,Little Mac,Glass Joe,Olimar,Alph,Lucario,Zoroak,R.O.B,Wolf,Panther Corseso,Villager,Mega Man,Proto Man,Wii Fit Trainer,Rosalina and Luma,Genrinja,Paultena,Medusa,Rayman,Robin,Sorin,Shulk,Bowser Jr,Duck Hunt,King K Rool,Takamaru,Ryu,Ken,Cloud,Zack,Corrin,Beyonetta,Jeanne,Inkling,Octolings,Ridley,Simon Belmont,Ritcher Belmont,Bandaa Waddle Dee,Elma,Chrous Kids,Mach Rider,Isabelle,Incinaroar,Prinina Plant,Joker,Byleth,Crash Bandicoot,Coco Bandicoot,Hero,Frisk,Terry,MinMin,Steve,Sephroith,Pyra/Mythra,Ryu Haybossa,Doomslayer,Geno,Rayman,Rillaboom,Spyro,Crewmate,Llyoid Irving,Monster Hunter,Travis TouchdownWaluigi,Sora,Master Cheif, Mii Fighters

I know this is a lot of charters way over the limit of charters epxically in Ultimate but i tried my best to be as crazy as humanly possible with these ones

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Hero
Here’s something I did a while back:
Starters
  • :mario64:
  • :dk64:
  • :link64:
  • :samus64:
  • :yoshi64:
  • :kirby64:
  • :fox64:
  • :pikachu64:
Unlockables
  • :luigi64: (Stage fought: Peach's Castle)
    • Complete 1P Game as any character
    • Complete Board the Platforms with :mario64:
    • 25 Vs. Matches
  • :ness64: (Stage fought: Dream Land)
    • Complete 1P Game with 3+ lives and no continues
    • 50 Vs. Matches
  • :falcon64: (Stage fought: Planet Zebes)
    • Complete 1P Game within 20 minutes without continues
    • 75 Vs. Matches
  • :052: (Meowth) (Stage fought: Saffron City)
    • Complete Target Test and Board the Platforms as all starters
    • Complete 1P Game as all starters
    • 100 Vs. Matches
Starters
  1. :mariomelee:
  2. :dkmelee:
  3. :linkmelee:
  4. :samusmelee:
  5. :yoshimelee:
  6. :kirbymelee:
  7. :foxmelee:
  8. :pikachumelee:
  9. :nessmelee:
  10. :falconmelee:
  11. :peachmelee:
  12. :bowsermelee:
  13. :icsmelee:
  14. :zeldamelee:/:sheikmelee:
  15. :212: (Scizor)
Unlockables
  1. :luigimelee: (Stage fought: Mushroom Kingdom II)
    • Complete Stage 1 of Adventure Mode with the time ending in a ":X2" in the second's slot, then defeat :luigimelee::peachmelee: in less than a minute and clear the rest of the mode
    • 10 Vs. Matches on Mushroom Kingdom
    • 100 Vs. Matches
  2. :052: (Stage fought: Pokémon Stadium)
    • Complete Event Match #37
    • Summon 100 Poke Ball Pokémon
    • 200 Vs. Matches
  3. Ayumi Tachibana (Stage fought: Onett)
    • Unlock 100 different Trophies
    • 300 Vs. Matches
  4. :falcomelee: (Stage fought: Battlefield)
    • Clear 100-Man Melee
    • 400 Vs. Matches
  5. :marthmelee: (Stage fought: Fountain of Dreams)
    • Clear Classic or Adventure Mode as all starters without continuing
    • Play Vs. Matches at least once with all 15 starters
    • 500 Vs. Matches
  6. :younglinkmelee: (Stage fought: Great Bay)
    • Clear Classic or Adventure Mode with 20 characters
    • Clear Classic Mode as :linkmelee: on Hard+
    • 600 Vs. Matches
  7. :ganondorfmelee: (Stage fought: Hyrule Temple)
    • Clear Event Match #29
    • Clear Adventure Mode as :linkmelee::younglinkmelee::zeldamelee: on Hard+
    • 700 Vs. Matches
  8. :mewtwomelee: (Stage fought: Final Destination)
    • Play for a total of 15 hours
    • Summon a Legendary Pokémon 75 times
    • 800 Vs. Matches
  9. :roymelee: (Stage fought: Hyrule Temple)
    • Clear Classic or Adventure Mode as :marthmelee: on Hard+ without continuing
    • Clear every bonus game in Classic Mode as :marthmelee:
    • 900 Vs. Matches
  10. :gawmelee: (Stage fought: Flat Zone)
    • Clear Classic or Adventure Mode as all other characters
    • Clear Target Test as all other characters
    • Clear 50 Event Matches
    • 1000 Vs. Matches
Starters
  1. :mario2:
  2. :dk2:
  3. :link2:
  4. :samus2:/:zerosuitsamus:
  5. :yoshi2:
  6. :kirby2:
  7. :fox:
  8. :pikachu2:
  9. :peach:
  10. :bowser2:
  11. :popo:
  12. :sheilda:
  13. :metaknight:
  14. :pit:
  15. :wario:
  16. :snake:
  17. :ike:
  18. :charizard:
  19. :diddy:
  20. :lucas:
  21. :dedede:
  22. :olimar:
Unlockables
  1. :luigi2: (Stage fought: Luigi's Mansion)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear Classic Mode with no continues
    • 100 Vs. Matches
  2. :ness2: (Stage fought: Onett)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Reflect 10 projectiles
    • 200 Vs. Matches
  3. :falcon:(Stage fought: :porttown:)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear Classic mode on Normal+ within 12 minutes
    • 300 Vs. Matches
  4. :052: (Stage fought: :ps2:)
    • After beating SSE, head to the Ruined Zoo and run away from the Pig King Statue without losing a life; you'll fight Meowth instead of Porky, and winning ends the level there
    • Clear 20 Event Matches
    • 400 Vs. Matches
  5. :falco: (Stage fought: Corneria)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear 100-Man Brawl
    • 500 Vs. Matches
  6. :marth: (Stage fought: :castlesiege:)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear Classic Mode on Normal+ as any character
    • 600 Vs. Matches
  7. :ganondorf: (Stage fought: :eldin:)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear Classic Mode as :link2::zelda: on Hard+
    • 700 Vs. Matches
  8. :gw: (Stage fought: :flatzone2:)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear Target Smash with 20+ characters
    • 800 Vs. Matches
  9. :sonic: (Stage fought: :greenhill:)
    • Defeat Tabuu in SSE
    • Clear Classic Mode with 10+ characters
    • Play 10 hours of Vs. Matches
    • 90p Vs. Matches
  10. :lucario: (Stage fought: :spearpillar:)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Complete Target Smash on all difficulties with any character
    • Get 5 KO's in Cruel Brawl
    • 1000 Vs. Matches
  11. :rob: (Stage fought: Mario Bros.)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Collect 200 different Trophies
    • 1100 Vs. Matches
  12. :toonlink: (Stage fought: :pirateship:)
    • After beating SSE, head to the Lake; you'll fight Toon Link instead of Rayquaza, and winning ends the level there
    • Clear Classic Mode as :link2::zelda::ganondorf: without continuing
    • 1200 Vs. Matches
  13. :wolf: (Stage fought: :lylat:)
    • After beating SSE, head to the end of the Glacier without losing a life; you'll fight Wolf instead of Meta Knight/Lucario
    • Clear Boss Battles on any difficulty
    • 1300 Vs. Matches
Starters
  1. :4mario:
  2. :4dk:
  3. :4link:
  4. :4samus:
  5. :4yoshi:
  6. :4kirby:
  7. :4fox:
  8. :4pikachu:
  9. :4luigi:
  10. :4falcon:
  11. :4peach:
  12. :4bowser:
  13. :4sheik:
  14. :4zelda:
  15. :4marth:
  16. :4pit:
  17. :4wario:
  18. :4myfriends:
  19. :4charizard:
  20. :4diddy:
  21. :4sonic:
  22. :4dedede:
  23. :4olimar:
  24. Snivy
  25. :4villager:
  26. :4megaman:
  27. :4wiifit:
  28. :4littlemac:
  29. :4mii::4miif:
    • :4miibrawl:
    • :4miisword:
    • :4miigun:
  30. :4palutena:
  31. :4robinm:
  32. :4shulk:
Unlockables
  1. :4ness: (Stage fought: Magicant / Onett)
    • Reflect 10 projectiles
    • Clear Classic Mode on 2.0+
    • 10 Vs. Matches
  2. :052: (Stage fought: Unova Pokémon League / Kalos Pokémon League)
    • Defeat 100 enemies in Smash Run (3DS only)
    • Collect at least 50 different pieces of equippment
    • 20 Vs. Matches
  3. :212: (Stage fought: Prism Tower / Kalos Pokémon League)
    • Summon a Poké Ball Pokémon 100 times
    • Summon a Master Ball Pokémon 50 times
    • 30 Vs. Matches
  4. :4falco: (Stage fought: Corneria / Orbital Gate Assault)
    • Clear 100-Man Smash
    • 40 Vs. Matches
  5. :4ganondorf: (Stage fought: Gerudo Valley / Skyloft)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4link: :4zelda::4sheik: on 5.5+
    • 50 Vs. Matches
  6. :4gaw: (Stage fought: :flatzone2:)
    • 60 Vs. Matches
  7. :4metaknight: (Stage fought: Dream Land GB/ :halberd:)
    • Get 5 KO's in Cruel Smash
    • 70 Vs. Matches
  8. :4zss: (Stage fought: Brinstar / Pyrosphere)
    • Get 30 KO's with Samus's Final Smash
    • Defeat Ridley on the Pyrosphere stage (Wii U only)
    • 80 Vs. Matches
  9. :4lucario: (Stage fought: Unova Pokémon League / Hyrule Temple)
    • Get 30 combined KO's with :4charizard:'s and :212:'s Final Smashes
    • Outlast to up to 300% damage
    • 90 Vs. Matches
  10. :rosalina: (Stage fought: Golden Plains / Mario Galaxy)
    • Get a successful recovery as :4littlemac: 5 times
    • 100 Vs. Matches
  11. :4greninja:(Stage fought: Prism Tower / Kalos Pokémon League)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4charizard: and Snivy on 6.0+
    • Clear a Final Battle in Smash Run without taking damage
    • 125 Vs. Matches
  12. :4darkpit: (Stage fought: Reset Bomb Forest / Palutena's Temple)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4pit: and :4palutena: on 5.5+
    • 150 Vs. Matches
  13. :4pacman: (Stage fought: PAC-MAZE / PAC-LAND)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4mario::4megaman::4sonic: on 5.5+
    • Eat 50 Ghosts on PAC-MAZE (3DS only)
    • 200 Vs. Matches
  14. :chrom: (Stage fought: Arena Ferox / Coliseum)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4marth: on 5.5+
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4robinm: on 5.5+
    • 300 Vs. Matches
  15. :4bowserjr:(Stage fought: 3D Land / Delfino Plaza)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4bowser: on 6.0+
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4peach: on 6.0+
    • 400 Vs. Matches
  16. :4duckhunt: (Stage fought: Duck Hunt)
    • Clear Target Blast as all other characters
    • Clear Classic Mode as all other characters on 6.0+
    • Unlock every Masterpiece (Wii U only)
    • 500 Vs. Matches
DLC Pack 1
  1. :4mewtwo:
  2. Ayumi Tachibana
    • Stage: Fourside
DLC Pack 2
  1. :4ryu:
    • Stage: Suzaku Castle
  2. :4lucas:
    • Stage: New Pork City (Wii U only)
DLC Pack 3
  1. :4cloud:
    • Stage: Midgar
  2. :4feroy:
DLC Pack 4
  1. :azura: (Azura)
    • Stage: Opera House (3DS only)
  2. :4bayonetta:
    • Stage Umbra Clock Tower
  • 1. :ultmario:
  • 2. :ultdk:
  • 3. :ultlink:
  • 4. :ultsamus:
    • 4ε. :ultdarksamus:
  • 5. :ultyoshi:
  • 6. :ultkirby:
  • 7. :ultfox:
  • 8. :ultpikachu:
  • 9. :ultluigi:
  • 10. :ultness:
  • 11. :ultfalcon:
  • 12. :052:
Melee
  • 13. :ultpeach:
    • 13ε. :ultdaisy:
  • 14. :ultbowser:
  • 15. :ulticeclimbers:
  • 16. :ultsheik:
  • 17. :ultzelda:
  • 18.:212:
  • 19. Ayumi Tachibana
  • 20. :ultfalco:
  • 21. :ultmarth:
  • 22. :ultyounglink:
  • 23. :ultganondorf:
  • 24. :ultmewtwo:
  • 25. :ultroy:
  • 26. :ultgnw:
Brawl
  • 27. :ultmetaknight:
  • 28. :ultpit:
    • 28ε. :ultdarkpit:
  • 29. :ultzss:
  • 30. :ultwario:
  • 31. :ultsnake:
  • 32. :ultike:
    • 32ε. :ultchrom:
  • 33. :ultcharizard:
  • 34. :ultdiddy:
  • 35.:ultlucas:
  • 36. :ultsonic:
  • 37. :ultkingdedede:
  • 38.:ultolimar:
  • 39. :ultlucario:
  • 40. :ultrob:
  • 41. :ulttoonlink:
  • 42. :ultwolf:
Smash 4
  • 43. Snivy
  • 44. :ultvillager:
  • 45. :ultmegaman:
  • 46. :ultwiifittrainer:
  • 47. :ultrosalina:
  • 48. :ultlittlemac:
  • 49. :ultgreninja:
  • :ultmiifighters:
    • 50. :ultbrawler:
    • 51. :ultswordfighter:
    • 52. :ultgunner:
  • 53. :ultpalutena:
  • 54. :ultpacman:
  • 55. :ultrobin:
  • 56. :ultshulk:
  • 57. :ultbowserjr:
  • 58. :ultduckhunt:
  • 59. :ultryu:
    • 59ε. :ultken: (Echo)
  • 60. :ultcloud:
  • 61. :azura:
  • 62. :ultbayonetta:
Newcomers
  1. :ultmario:
  2. :ultdk:
  3. :ultlink:
  4. :ultsamus:
  5. :ultyoshi:
  6. :ultkirby:
  7. :ultfox:
  8. :ultpikachu:
  9. :ultluigi:
  10. :ultness:
  11. :ultfalcon:
  12. :052:
  13. :ultinkling:
  14. :ultsimon:
  15. Crash
  16. :ultridley:
  17. :ultkrool:
  18. :ultisabelle:
  19. Solgaleo
  20. Bandana Waddle Dee
  21. :ultmiifighters:
  • 71. Sakura Shinguji
    • Stage: Grand Imperial Theater
  • 72. :ulthero:
    • Stage: Yggdrasil's Altar
  • 73. :ultbanjokazooie:
    • Stage: Spiral Mountain
  • 74-75. :ultpyra:/Mythra
    • Stage: Cloud Sea of Alrest
  • 76. :ult_terry:
    • Stage: King of Fighters Stadium

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Champion
64:
:mario64::dk64::link64::samus64::yoshi64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64::luigi64::ness64::falcon64: :marthmelee:
Cuts: Jigglypuff (replaced by Marth)

Melee:
:mariomelee::dkmelee::linkmelee::samusmelee::yoshimelee::kirbymelee::foxmelee::pikachumelee::luigimelee::nessmelee::falconmelee: :marthmelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee::dedede:(:sheikmelee:/:zeldamelee:):pichumelee::falcomelee::mewtwomelee::ganondorfmelee:*(Black Shadow):roymelee::gawmelee:

Cuts: Ice Climbers (replaced by Dedede), Dr. Mario, Young Link, Falcondorf
Some notes: Since Marth debuted in 64, Ganondorf debuts as a unique newcomer in his stead. Combined with Young Link and Dr. Mario getting axed, that means there's room for 3 brand new clones... And I decided to add one in the form of Black Shadow as a Falcon clone. I'm not sure who to add for the other 2, so their slots will be left open for now. Also I really went back and forth on who to add over the Ice Climbers and ended up going for Dedede, since he's Sakurai's character and feels like a pretty glaring omission from the roster.

Brawl:
:mario2::dk2::link2::samus2::yoshi2::kirby2::fox::pikachu2::luigi2::ness2::falcon::marth::peach::bowser2::dedede::sheilda::falco::ganondorf:(Black Shadow):gw::metaknight::pit::warioc:(Isaac):snake::ike::pt:(:squirtle:/:ivysaur:/:charizard:):diddy::lucas::sonic: :4littlemac: :olimar::lucario::toonlink::wolf:(Dixie Kong)
Cuts: Zero Suit Samus, R.O.B.
Some notes: Adding Dedede in Melee left an open slot for a newcomer in Brawl, which results in 3 total slots being open after the cuts I made (no offense to ZSS fans but I genuinely think she's the stupidest choice in Smash history even if she's fun to play as). Isaac was a no-brainer since Brawl was when he was the most relevant, but the other two were a little harder for me to choose. Little Mac feels like a pretty obvious choice, and I decided to end things off with Dixie as a semi-clone of Diddy, since we know for a fact she was planned to be a tag team with Diddy, and I feel like outright scrapping her was a huge waste since she could easily stand on her own.
I considered having Pokémon trainer's team comprise of Mudkip, Grovyle, and Blaziken, since Gen 3 was pretty relevant at the time and never got a fighter (Blaziken would even coincidentally fit Sm4sh's heavy Mega Evolution push), but ultimately decided that the Kanto starters were too iconic to ignore, especially Charizard. Mewtwo, Roy, Pichu are still cut in this alternate timeline, same with the other clones, although like Ganondorf before him, Black Shadow returns with a few changes from his Melee incarnation.

Sm4sh:
:4mario::4dk::4link::4samus::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4luigi::4ness::4falcon::4marth::4peach::4bowser::4dedede::4zelda::4sheik::4falco::4ganondorf:(Black Shadow):4gaw::4metaknight::4pit::4wario2:(Isaac):4myfriends::4charizard::4diddy::4sonic: :4littlemac: :4olimar::4lucario::4tlink:(Dixie Kong):4villager::4megaman::ultkrool::4greninja::4palutena::4pacman::4robinm::4shulk:(Bandana Dee):4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4lucina::4darkpit::4alph::4miibrawl::4miisword::ultgunner:
DLC: :4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy::4ryu::4cloud:(dear god ANYONE but corrin):4bayonetta:
Cuts: Wii Fit Trainer, Corrin
Some notes: Sadly, there are still some veterans left behind. I decided to add King K. Rool in this game since I wanted to make room for a certain other popular character in the next game's base roster, but I'm not entirely sure about Bandana Dee since he wasn't as prominent as he's today at the time the base roster was decided. Also, since Dr. Mario never existed in this version, Alph gets promoted into a clone in his stead.
As for DLC, I kept it mostly the same with the exception of deleting Corrin from existence as I despise that character. I don't mind promotional picks, but Corrin put a permanent stain on Fire Emblem's representation in Smash that led to many people outright refusing to give it a try. Doesn't help that I hate the character outside of the context of Smash as well as the game they're from. I can't think of a better promotional pick, so just pick whoever you want that was relevant at the time, I genuinely do not care.

Ultimate:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultdarksamus: :ultyoshi: :ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultness::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultbowser::ultkingdedede:(:ultsheik:/:ultzelda:):ultpichu::ultfalco::ultmewtwo::ultganondorf:(Black Shadow):ultroy: :ultchrom: :ultgnw::ultmetaknight::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultwario:(Isaac):ultsnake::ultike::ultpokemontrainer::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultsonic::ultlittlemac::ultolimar::ultalph::ultlucario::ulttoonlink::ultwolf:(Dixie Kong):ultvillager::ultmegaman::ultkrool::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultrobin::ultshulk:(Bandana Dee):ultbowserjr::ultduckhunt::ultryu::ultken::ultcloud:(Unknown):ultbayonetta::ultinkling::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::geno::ultisabelle: (Decidueye)
DLC: :waluigirose::ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry::ultbyleth::ultminmin:ultsteve::ultsephiroth:(:ultpyra:/:ultmythra:):ultkazuya:(Phoenix Wright)
Cuts: Incineroar, Piranha Plant
Some notes: Pretty self explanatory, I would say. I moved King K. Rool to Sm4sh so that I could add Geno here instead, and replaced Incineroar with Decidueye because I prefer Decidueye.
As for the DLC characters, I like all of them, but I like Piranha Plant the least, so I decided to go for a character whose inclusion would cause less vitriol overall with Waluigi, and picked Phoenix Wright as CP11.

This was way harder than I thought it'd be.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
^ Replace your Unknown slot for Crash. Solid win right there

Although how would Black Shadow be a clone of Ganondorf when they're both slow and use power moves?

Jondolio

Smash Champion
^ Replace your Unknown slot for Crash. Solid win right there

Although how would Black Shadow be a clone of Ganondorf when they're both slow and use power moves?
Crash wasn't relevant in Sm4sh nor is he first party so I can't really justify putting him in. If anything I'd go for Rayman.

Ganondorf is a unique character and Black Shadow is a clone of Captain Falcon, similar to the Ganondorf we have now.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Master
I'm redoin this, my previous take was doo-doo.

Smash 64:

BEGONE
  1. Ness
  2. Captain Falcon
  3. Jigglypuff
  4. Luigi
COMMENCE
  1. Wario
  2. Paula
  3. Muddy Mole
  4. Duck Hunt
Wario would be a starter character, pushing Samus to unlockable status.

Melee:

BEGONE
  1. Sheik
  2. Young Link
  3. Marth
  4. Roy
COMMENCE
  1. Diddy Kong
  2. Funky Kong
  3. King Dedede
  4. Ness
Dedede and Diddy are unique. Paula is pushed to unlockable while Ness is a starter. Zelda is alone.

Brawl:

BEGONE
  1. ZSS
  2. Ivysaur
  3. Charizard
  4. Lucario
  5. Ike
  6. Pit
  7. Snake
  8. Lucas
COMMENCE

1. Pac-Man
  2. Jill & Drill Dozer
  3. Waluigi
  4. Kumatora
  5. K. Rool
  6. Onix
  7. Rampardos
  8. Daisy
  9. Ridley
  10. Little Mac
  11. The Amazon
Squirtle is alone, 3 extra newcomers because of Diddy, Dedede, and Wario. None are clones.

I'll get around to 3DS, Wii U, SSBU, and their respective DLC later.

Perkilator

Smash Hero
Starters
  • :mario64:
  • :dk64:
  • :link64:
  • :samus64:
  • :yoshi64:
  • :kirby64:
  • :fox64:
  • :pikachu64:
Unlockables
  • :luigi64: (Stage fought: Peach's Castle)
    • Complete 1P Game as any character
    • Complete Board the Platforms with :mario64:
    • 25 Vs. Matches
  • :ness64: (Stage fought: Dream Land)
    • Complete 1P Game with 3+ lives and no continues
    • 50 Vs. Matches
  • :falcon64: (Stage fought: Planet Zebes)
    • Complete 1P Game within 20 minutes without continues
    • 75 Vs. Matches
  • :052: (Meowth) (Stage fought: Saffron City)
    • Complete Target Test and Board the Platforms as all starters
    • Complete 1P Game as all starters
    • 100 Vs. Matches
Starters
  1. :mariomelee:
  2. :dkmelee:
  3. :linkmelee:
  4. :samusmelee:
  5. :yoshimelee:
  6. :kirbymelee:
  7. :foxmelee:
  8. :pikachumelee:
  9. :nessmelee:
  10. :falconmelee:
  11. :peachmelee:
  12. :bowsermelee:
  13. :icsmelee:
  14. :zeldamelee:/:sheikmelee:
  15. :212: (Scizor)
Unlockables
  1. :luigimelee: (Stage fought: Mushroom Kingdom II)
    • Complete Stage 1 of Adventure Mode with the time ending in a ":X2" in the second's slot, then defeat :luigimelee::peachmelee: in less than a minute and clear the rest of the mode
    • 10 Vs. Matches on Mushroom Kingdom
    • 100 Vs. Matches
  2. :052: (Stage fought: Pokémon Stadium)
    • Complete Event Match #37
    • Summon 100 Poke Ball Pokémon
    • 200 Vs. Matches
  3. Ayumi Tachibana (Stage fought: Onett)
    • Unlock 100 different Trophies
    • 300 Vs. Matches
  4. :falcomelee: (Stage fought: Battlefield)
    • Clear 100-Man Melee
    • 400 Vs. Matches
  5. :marthmelee: (Stage fought: Fountain of Dreams)
    • Clear Classic or Adventure Mode as all starters without continuing
    • Play Vs. Matches at least once with all 15 starters
    • 500 Vs. Matches
  6. :younglinkmelee: (Stage fought: Great Bay)
    • Clear Classic or Adventure Mode with 20 characters
    • Clear Classic Mode as :linkmelee: on Hard+
    • 600 Vs. Matches
  7. :ganondorfmelee: (Stage fought: Hyrule Temple)
    • Clear Event Match #29
    • Clear Adventure Mode as :linkmelee::younglinkmelee::zeldamelee: on Hard+
    • 700 Vs. Matches
  8. :mewtwomelee: (Stage fought: Final Destination)
    • Play for a total of 15 hours
    • Summon a Legendary Pokémon 75 times
    • 800 Vs. Matches
  9. :roymelee: (Stage fought: Hyrule Temple)
    • Clear Classic or Adventure Mode as :marthmelee: on Hard+ without continuing
    • Clear every bonus game in Classic Mode as :marthmelee:
    • 900 Vs. Matches
  10. :gawmelee: (Stage fought: Flat Zone)
    • Clear Classic or Adventure Mode as all other characters
    • Clear Target Test as all other characters
    • Clear 50 Event Matches
    • 1000 Vs. Matches
Starters
  1. :mario2:
  2. :dk2:
  3. :link2:
  4. :samus2:/:zerosuitsamus:
  5. :yoshi2:
  6. :kirby2:
  7. :fox:
  8. :pikachu2:
  9. :peach:
  10. :bowser2:
  11. :popo:
  12. :sheilda:
  13. :metaknight:
  14. :pit:
  15. :wario:
  16. :snake:
  17. :ike:
  18. :charizard:
  19. :diddy:
  20. :lucas:
  21. :dedede:
  22. :olimar:
Unlockables
  1. :luigi2: (Stage fought: Luigi's Mansion)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear Classic Mode with no continues
    • 100 Vs. Matches
  2. :ness2: (Stage fought: Onett)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Reflect 10 projectiles
    • 200 Vs. Matches
  3. :falcon:(Stage fought: :porttown:)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear Classic mode on Normal+ within 12 minutes
    • 300 Vs. Matches
  4. :052: (Stage fought: :ps2:)
    • After beating SSE, head to the Ruined Zoo and run away from the Pig King Statue without losing a life; you'll fight Meowth instead of Porky, and winning ends the level there
    • Clear 20 Event Matches
    • 400 Vs. Matches
  5. :falco: (Stage fought: Corneria)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear 100-Man Brawl
    • 500 Vs. Matches
  6. :marth: (Stage fought: :castlesiege:)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear Classic Mode on Normal+ as any character
    • 600 Vs. Matches
  7. :ganondorf: (Stage fought: :eldin:)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear Classic Mode as :link2::zelda: on Hard+
    • 700 Vs. Matches
  8. :gw: (Stage fought: :flatzone2:)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Clear Target Smash with 20+ characters
    • 800 Vs. Matches
  9. :sonic: (Stage fought: :greenhill:)
    • Defeat Tabuu in SSE
    • Play 10 hours of Vs. Matches
    • 90p Vs. Matches
  10. :lucario: (Stage fought: :spearpillar:)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Complete Target Smash on all difficulties with any character
    • Get 5 KO's in Cruel Brawl
    • 1000 Vs. Matches
  11. :rob: (Stage fought: Mario Bros.)
    • Recruit in SSE
    • Collect 200 different Trophies
    • 1100 Vs. Matches
  12. :toonlink: (Stage fought: :pirateship:)
    • After beating SSE, head to the Lake; you'll fight Toon Link instead of Rayquaza, and winning ends the level there
    • Clear Classic Mode as :link2::zelda::ganondorf: without continuing
    • 1200 Vs. Matches
  13. :wolf: (Stage fought: :lylat:)
    • After beating SSE, head to the end of the Glacier without losing a life; you'll fight Wolf instead of Meta Knight/Lucario
    • Clear Boss Battles on any difficulty
    • 1300 Vs. Matches
Starters
  1. :4mario:
  2. :4dk:
  3. :4link:
  4. :4samus:
  5. :4yoshi:
  6. :4kirby:
  7. :4fox:
  8. :4pikachu:
  9. :4luigi:
  10. :4falcon:
  11. :4peach:
  12. :4bowser:
  13. :4sheik:
  14. :4zelda:
  15. :4marth:
  16. :4pit:
  17. :4wario:
  18. :4myfriends:
  19. :4charizard:
  20. :4diddy:
  21. :4sonic:
  22. :4dedede:
  23. :4olimar:
  24. Snivy
  25. :4villager:
  26. :4megaman:
  27. :4wiifit:
  28. :4littlemac:
  29. :4mii::4miif:
    • :4miibrawl:
    • :4miisword:
    • :4miigun:
  30. :4palutena:
  31. :4robinm:
  32. :4shulk:
Unlockables
  1. :4ness: (Stage fought: Magicant / Onett)
    • Reflect 10 projectiles
    • Clear Classic Mode on 2.0+
    • 10 Vs. Matches
  2. :052: (Stage fought: Unova Pokémon League / Kalos Pokémon League)
    • Defeat 100 enemies in Smash Run (3DS only)
    • Collect at least 50 different pieces of equippment
    • 20 Vs. Matches
  3. :212: (Stage fought: Prism Tower / Kalos Pokémon League)
    • Summon a Poké Ball Pokémon 100 times
    • Summon a Master Ball Pokémon 50 times
    • 30 Vs. Matches
  4. :4falco: (Stage fought: Corneria / Orbital Gate Assault)
    • Clear 100-Man Smash
    • 40 Vs. Matches
  5. :4ganondorf: (Stage fought: Gerudo Valley / Skyloft)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4link: :4zelda::4sheik: on 5.5+
    • 50 Vs. Matches
  6. :4gaw: (Stage fought: :flatzone2:)
    • 60 Vs. Matches
  7. :4metaknight: (Stage fought: Dream Land GB/ :halberd:)
    • Get 5 KO's in Cruel Smash
    • 70 Vs. Matches
  8. :4zss: (Stage fought: Brinstar / Pyrosphere)
    • Get 30 KO's with Samus's Final Smash
    • Defeat Ridley on the Pyrosphere stage (Wii U only)
    • 80 Vs. Matches
  9. :4lucario: (Stage fought: Unova Pokémon League / Hyrule Temple)
    • Get 30 combined KO's with :4charizard:'s and :212:'s Final Smashes
    • Outlast to up to 300% damage
    • 90 Vs. Matches
  10. :rosalina: (Stage fought: Golden Plains / Mario Galaxy)
    • Get a successful recovery as :4littlemac: 5 times
    • 100 Vs. Matches
  11. :4greninja:(Stage fought: Prism Tower / Kalos Pokémon League)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4charizard: and Snivy on 6.0+
    • Clear a Final Battle in Smash Run without taking damage
    • 125 Vs. Matches
  12. :4darkpit: (Stage fought: Reset Bomb Forest / Palutena's Temple)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4pit: and :4palutena: on 5.5+
    • 150 Vs. Matches
  13. :4pacman: (Stage fought: PAC-MAZE / PAC-LAND)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4mario::4megaman::4sonic: on 5.5+
    • Eat 50 Ghosts on PAC-MAZE (3DS only)
    • 200 Vs. Matches
  14. :chrom: (Stage fought: Arena Ferox / Coliseum)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4marth: on 5.5+
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4robinm: on 5.5+
    • 300 Vs. Matches
  15. :4bowserjr:(Stage fought: 3D Land / Delfino Plaza)
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4bowser: on 6.0+
    • Clear Classic Mode as :4peach: on 6.0+
    • 400 Vs. Matches
  16. :4duckhunt: (Stage fought: Duck Hunt)
    • Clear Target Blast as all other characters
    • Clear Classic Mode as all other characters on 6.0+
    • Unlock every Masterpiece (Wii U only)
    • 500 Vs. Matches
DLC Pack 1
  1. :4mewtwo:
  2. Ayumi Tachibana
DLC Pack 2
  1. :4ryu:
    • Stage: Suzaku Castle
  2. :4lucas:
    • Stage: New Pork City (Wii U only)
DLC Pack 3
  1. :4cloud:
    • Stage: Midgar
  2. :4feroy:
DLC Pack 4
  1. :azura: (Azura)
    • Stage: Opera House (3DS only)
  2. :4bayonetta:
    • Stage Umbra Clock Tower
  • 1. :ultmario:
  • 2. :ultdk:
  • 3. :ultlink:
  • 4. :ultsamus:
    • 4ε. :ultdarksamus:
  • 5. :ultyoshi:
  • 6. :ultkirby:
  • 7. :ultfox:
  • 8. :ultpikachu:
  • 9. :ultluigi:
  • 10. :ultness:
  • 11. :ultfalcon:
  • 12. :052:
Melee
  • 13. :ultpeach:
    • 13ε. :ultdaisy:
  • 14. :ultbowser:
  • 15. :ulticeclimbers:
  • 16. :ultsheik:
  • 17. :ultzelda:
  • 18.:212:
  • 19. Ayumi Tachibana
  • 20. :ultmarth:
  • 21. :ultmewtwo:
  • 22. :ultgnw:
  • 23. :ultyounglink:
  • 24. :ultganondorf:
  • 25. :ultfalco:
  • 26. :ultroy:
    • 26ε. :ultchrom:
Brawl
  • 27. :ultmetaknight:
  • 28. :ultpit:
    • 28ε. :ultdarkpit:
  • 29. :ultzss:
  • 30. :ultwario:
  • 31. :ultsnake:
  • 32. :ultike:
  • 33. :ultcharizard:
  • 34. :ultdiddy:
  • 35.:ultlucas:
  • 36. :ultsonic:
  • 37. :ultkingdedede:
  • 38.:ultolimar:
  • 39. :ultlucario:
  • 40. :ultrob:
  • 41. :ulttoonlink:
  • 42. :ultwolf:
Smash 4
  • 43. Snivy
  • 44. :ultvillager:
  • 45. :ultmegaman:
  • 46. :ultwiifittrainer:
  • 47. :ultrosalina:
  • 48. :ultlittlemac:
  • 49. :ultgreninja:
  • :ultmiifighters:
    • 50. :ultbrawler:
    • 51. :ultswordfighter:
    • 52. :ultgunner:
  • 53. :ultpalutena:
  • 54. :ultpacman:
  • 55. :ultrobin:
  • 56. :ultshulk:
  • 57. :ultbowserjr:
  • 58. :ultduckhunt:
  • 59. :ultryu:
    • 59ε. :ultken:
  • 60. :ultcloud:
  • 61. :azura:
  • 62. :ultbayonetta:
Newcomers
  1. :ultmario:
  2. :ultdk:
  3. :ultlink:
  4. :ultsamus:
  5. :ultyoshi:
  6. :ultkirby:
  7. :ultfox:
  8. :ultpikachu:
  9. :ultluigi:
  10. :ultness:
  11. :ultfalcon:
  12. :052:
  13. :ultinkling:
  14. :ultsimon:
  15. Crash
  16. :ultridley:
  17. :ultkrool:
  18. :ultisabelle:
  19. :ultincineroar:
  20. Bandana Waddle Dee
  21. :ultmiifighters:
  • 71. :ultjoker:
    • Stage: Mementos
  • 72. :ulthero:
    • Stage: Yggdrasil's Altar
  • 73. :ultbanjokazooie:
    • Stage: Spiral Mountain
  • 74. :ult_terry:
    • Stage: King of Fighters Stadium
  • 75. Sora
  • 76. :ultminmin
    • Stage: Spring Stadium
  • 77. Phoenix Wright
  • 78. :ultsephiroth:
    • Stage: Northern Cave
  • 79-80. :ultpyra:/Mythra
    • Stage: Cloud Sea of Alrest
  • 81. :ultkazuya:
    • Stage: Mishima Dojo
  • 82. :ultsteve:
    • Stage: Minecraft World

Butters Stotch

Smash Apprentice
To make this more challenging, I'll be designing the rosters without knowledge of Sakurai's ones. However, some character choices from his rosters will be referenced at points.

:luigi64::mario64::dk64::link64::samus64::marthmelee:
:falcon64::yoshi64::kirby64:
:pikachu64::fox64:
  • Wario, coming from a bigger series and having several games up to this point, replaces Ness. He is obviously modelled off of Mario. He swaps places with Fox and becomes a starter character.
  • Marth is a late addition and is modelled off of Link. He's essentially the Jigglypuff of the game and shares a lot of moves with Link.

Melee
:peachmelee::mariomelee::luigimelee::bowsermelee::yoshimelee::warioc::falconmelee:

Leif:marthmelee::samusmelee::dkmelee::diddy::ganondorfmelee::zeldamelee::linkmelee::younglinkmelee:
:falcomelee::foxmelee::nessmelee::kirbymelee::gawmelee::mewtwomelee::pikachumelee::pichumelee:
  • Diddy Kong makes it in over the Ice Climbers. He's an important character and starred in his own games.
  • Transformation characters are never a thing and a unique Ganondorf takes the place of Sheik.
  • In my opinion, Daisy is more deserving to be on the roster than Dr. Mario. The Super Mario Land games were some of the Game Boy's bestsellers and led to Wario Land's creation and she made reappearances on the N64.
  • As much as I want to keep Roy, I would look to the Smash 2 poll for a Fire Emblem clone and Leif would be my pick for appearing in more than one game.
  • F-Zero was still going and a GBA game released during development. Blood Falcon is this roster's equivalent to Falcondorf (despite not knowing about him in this timeline). I mean, he's a literal clone of Falcon.

Brawl
:mario2::luigi2::peach:
:bowser2::yoshi2::warioc::dk2::diddy::ultkrool:
:link2::zelda::ganondorf::toonlink::samus2:
:ness2::lucas::marth::ike:
:kirby2::dedede::metaknight::fox::falco::wolf::pikachu2::052:May+
:lucario:
:falcon::4villager::olimar::pit::rob::gw::snake::sonic:Mega Man X
  • Daisy, Leif, Blood Falcon, Mewtwo, and Pichu, are cut. Toon Link is added later in development and he and Young Link are counted as the same character.
  • In addition to Dedede and Meta Knight, other significant omissions from previous game are here, namely Toad, K. Rool, Ridley, and Meowth (extra points for his role in the anime).
  • Lyn or Ike can be added as the Fire Emblem newcomer. The Blazing Blade was deemed too difficult to be released outside Japan, so The Blazing Blade, Lyn's game, would still be the first game to be localised. It was also the most successful out of the Fire Emblem GBA games. Ike was the latest protagonist in the series and was supposed to appear in the next game, making him one of the only protagonists at the time to not be a one-off. I'll go with him unless I change my mind, but I still think Lyn is a valid choice and could be added over him.
  • Unlike Sakurai, I wouldn't have any problems with adding Villager into Brawl.
  • Sonic was planned from the start, but was denied by Sega until later on. As an alternative, I'd add Mega Man X, as the overall Mega Man series has had ties with Nintendo since the very first game. The original Mega Man has more of a legacy and represents the series' origins and namesake, but started appearing in less games come the early 90s. On the contrary, X, who first appeared around that time, was being used more frequently and both X8 and Zero 4 were quite recent during the planning period.
  • Blaziken is another late addition, taking the role of a clone over the cut Blood Falcon and representing Gen 3. May appears n the backgrounds of fights and serves the same purpose as Red in Brawl and Ultimate, albeit without the ability to switch Pokémon.

Smash 4
:4mario::4luigi::4peach:
:4bowser::4bowserjr::4yoshi:
:4wario2::4link::zeldamelee::4ganondorf::ultyounglink:

:4dk::4diddy::ultkrool::4samus:
:4pit::4palutena::4ness::4marth::4robinm::4lucina::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight:
:4falcon:
:4fox::4falco::4pikachu::052:May+
:4lucario:
:4rob::4duckhunt::4littlemac::4gaw:
Isaac:4olimar::4alph::4shulk::4mii::4sonic:Mega Man X:4pacman:DLC::4mewtwo::4lucas::ultdaisy:/Leif Starfy Saki
Rayman
  • Ike, Wolf, and Snake are cut.
  • I cut Rosalina because I feel that both the Yoshi and Wario series are deserving of extra representation. It was between Waluigi and Kamek, but I chose the latter for being the main antagonist in the Yoshi series and appearances in several Mario games as Bowser's right-hand man.
  • Tingle is the game's joke character. Despite the hatred for him in the west, he's a beloved character in Japan and has his own series of games.
  • The Zelda characters use designs from different games like in Ultimate. Link, Zelda, Young Link, and Tingle's appearances are taken from Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, A Link Between Worlds, and Wind Waker respectively. Ganondorf keeps his Twilight Princess design. Ridley is replaced with the clone from Other M. The default the Villager is from New Leaf.
  • Black & White received sequels and it's generation was relevant at the time of planning. I actually thought of adding Zoroark, Gen 5’s equivalent to Lucario, over Victini, but it’s less popular than its inspiration.
  • Like Punch-Out, Golden Sun was revived after Brawl, so I think Isaac would be warranted. I don't think it hurts having two newcomers that hail from RPGs.
  • Lucina is the only new clone that remains. Dr. Mario was never added to Melee and I don't think three Kid Icarus characters are needed. Blood Falcon returns and Alph replaces Dark Pit. Galacta Knight would be planned, but would be reduced to an alt. On the topic of alts, I would replace the downloadable Mii outfits with additional costumes for other characters. Ignoring the Wii ports, the Pikmin games up to this point have been met with success and Olimar's Brawl moveset can be kept intact by having Alph use newer Pikmin. F-Zero had died off years earlier but having Blood Falcon return as an alt after being cut from Brawl feels like a downgrade and something to upset his fans.
  • The Mii here has a completely original moveset that represents Wii Sports/Play/Party. Blaziken and X are brought back over the trio of Mii Fighters.
  • Daisy or Leif returns as one of the cut Melee veterans and to promote an upcoming game in their series, Super Mario Maker for Daisy and Fire Emblem Fates (I’m aware he doesn’t actually make an appearance) for Leif.
  • What I said earlier about Isaac can also be said for Saki from Sin and Punishment and Starfy from The Legendary Starfy, as had localised releases after Brawl, but I didn't have enough room for them on the base roster, which I tried to make up for by giving them stages. The DLC newcomer slots give them second chances.
  • Dixie Kong just barely missed out on the base roster and is probably the most important character missing from it.
  • Rayman is here because of Ubisoft and Nintendo's good relationship and Legends originally being intended as a Wii U exclusive. I also believe that fans would be expecting at least one third party as DLC.

Ultimate
:ultmario::ultdk::4link::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby:
:ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultfox::ultfalcon::ultmarth:
:ultpeach::ultbowser::ultzelda::ultness::ultdiddy::ultfalco::ultpichu::ultganondorf::ulttoonlink:
:ultmewtwo::ultdaisy:
Leif:ultgnw::ultmetaknight::ultpit::052:
:ultsnake::ultridley::ultlucas::ultike::ultkingdedede:

:ultsonic::ultolimar::ultlucario::ultkrool::ultrob:Mega Man X May+
:wolf:
Isaac

:ultlittlemac::ultmiifighters::ultpalutena::ultlucina::ultrobin::ultpacman::ultbowserjr::ultshulk::ultalph::ultduckhunt:Starfy Saki
Rayman:ultinkling::ultlink:
:ultsimon::ultdarksamus:Sheriff Tom Nook
DLC: Karate Joe:ultcloud:
:ultryu::ultbayonetta::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry:Ribbon Girl:ultsteve::ulthero:Rex Sami Heihachi:ultsora:
  • Waluigi is brought in to satisfy his fans and to represent the Mario spin-off games, although he would be counted as a Wario character. His appearances in the series are mostly cameos, but it would feel a little odd for the two to be separated by series.
  • The Triforce trio's designs are from Hyrule Warriors and Young/Toon Link and Tingle reuse their Wind Waker appearances. Wolf's appearance is kept from Assault.
  • Champion Link and Tom Nook are the only "echoes" on the roster and are treated as normal clones. The other potential echoes would become costumes, as I would attempt to give some of them their own animations. Both are easier additions than certain other characters from their series and can have some unique attributes and attacks. Champion Link allows for the original to keep his moveset the same way Alph lets Olimar retain his old moveset and hails from the newest Zelda game. Tom Nook has been with the Animal Crossing series longer than Isabelle has and probably could've replaced the Villager in previous games.
  • To have a slightly more distinct moveset, Dark Samus takes Isabelle's place. Ridley wasn't the only requested Metroid character and, seeing as he's been in two previous rosters, Dark Samus's requests would increase.
  • The Kirby series is quite successful and a fourth character wouldn't be out of the question. Bandana Dee is a popular character, has been a main character since 2011, and rounds off the series quartet.
  • Sheriff is the new retro rep and represents Nintendo's earlier days and one of their first ever games. He takes the form of the original sprite instead of a 3D model.
  • Ryu or Bayonetta could suffice as the base roster's third party rep, but I kept Simon because of Castlevania's history with Nintendo and for hype building like Waluigi.
  • Karate Joe is the FP1 bonus fighter. He missed the cut for the last game's roster, both at and after launch, and I would give him another shot for this entry. Rhythm Heaven has done fairly well and there have been four games so far, one releasing not long before planning.
  • Nintendo chose the DLC characters, so I don't have too much of a say in who gets in (though there are some exceptions). However, the lineup would be a bit different because the third parties from Smash 4's DLC are missing. I'd assume they would be picked by Nintendo and become part of FP1 (I heard Sakurai was given a list of characters to choose from and I would go with the three for their popularity and success). Unfortunately, there's not enough room for every DLC character from Ultimate, so three would have to be removed. As to who exactly would have to go, my guesses are Joker (I heard he was a last minute decision), Byleth because their game launched after Ultimate, meaning they wouldn't have been considered from the start like an Arms or Xenoblade 2 rep, and Sephiroth for a slightly more varied lineup (also the reason I moved Hero down to FP2).
  • If Ribbon Girl was marketed less than by the Arms team than Spring Man, then I'd have him on the roster over her, as upgrading an Assist Trophy to playable status is something I would be willing to do. Both can be argued to be the mascots of the series.
  • Rex replaces Pyra, though she and Mythra would appear in some of his attacks, taunts, and victory animations, and Heihachi replaces Kazuya. Both were originally planned over the characters we got and they play bigger roles in their series (depending on interpretation, this could be argued against for Heihachi).
  • Sami is the bonus fighter for FP2. She's a semi-clone of Snake and takes the empty slot left open by Mythra. Advance Wars didn't get another game between Brawl and Ultimate, but I originally had her on my Brawl roster before swapping her out for X. The series was actually one of the reasons Fire Emblem came to the west and, if you count Famicom Wars and earlier iterations, has existed since the NES days.

Cuts (and their fates)
:jigglypuff64:
:icsmelee::sheikmelee::drmario::roymelee:
:zerosuitsamus::squirtle::ivysaur::charizard:
:4megaman::4wiifit::rosalina: