• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

YOU are in charge of cutting 5 characters from the Brawl roster...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
He doesnt capture the character at all in terms of what I would expect. I want silent serious Red from GSC. Its like if we made Mario cowardly but kept his appearence.
Red did technically talk in Red,Blue,Yellow, Fire Red and Leaf Green. He ordered commands and "Just a Little More" kind of things. His design was based off of those games so why not have him talk a little?

Besides, what you expect is not necessarily what others expect.

And you mean Luigi? :troll:

He talks, all red can say is ... and !!!
:p
I know this is a joke but....

Red did technically talk in Red,Blue,Yellow, Fire Red and Leaf Green. He ordered commands and "Just a Little More" kind of things. His design was based off of those games so why not have him talk a little?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I really hope we won't get 5 or more characters cut, the vast majority of them don't even deserve to be cut. Well if I had to choose by having a gun pointed at my head then I guess I'd say.

Snake, Lucario, Sonic, Ike and Lucas.

But honestly, none of these 5 deserve to go (Well... maybe Snake I guess... And I like him even more than Sonic by the way).

I believe the reason so many got cut in Brawl was because of Sonic since he was the only unplanned addition for the roster in that game, we should hopefully not have this problem anymore in this game and hopefully only one or two (or maybe three) get cut this time... :/

[Corn]

Smash Ace

Besides, what you expect is not necessarily what others expect.

And you mean Luigi? :troll:

I know this is a joke but....
Its just he is like Ganondorf, they both look like the characters they are trying to portray, but their movements and actions seperate them in my mind.

Having Red not just be a BA like he was is like Ganon not using his sword to me. Hurts :(

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Wow. Okay. That's stretching. There's no way P.T. is that much of a departure from Red.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Hard, but I'd have to go with these five:
- Lucas
- R.O.B
- Wolf
- Lucario
- Game & Watch

I wanna say Toon Link instead of Lucario or Wolf because I hate characters being in the game twice........ but his art style is just so cool. Also I'm starting to see them as entirely different characters/incarnations.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
1. Lucario (he has less reason to return than most, particularly with the spotlight on Mewtwo and gen 6)
2. Jigglypuff (her popularity has waned significantly over the years, even though she is an original)
3. Toon Link (I like him, but I doubt he'll be de-cloned much, making him more worthy of a cut)
4. Sonic (3rd party, bland, unnecessary overall, although many like him)
5. Snake (cool, but has faded from significance to Nintendo, plus 3rd party).

Wolf or Falco may be cool to drop for most, but I like both of them too much to see them go. If I had to pick one to leave though, def Falco.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
1. Lucario: pretty much the only 100% doomed character. Time for the next promotional humanoid to take his place (which coincidentally is Mewtwo lol).
2. Olimar: Not that Pikmin doesn't deserve a rep, but just replace him with the new Captain.
3. Marth: I know he's kind of viewed as the face, but Marth is the easier FE character to replace. Chrom and Lucina both use the a sword similar to Marth, meaning they can replace his fighting style much easier than Ike.
4. Snake: Sonic seems like a given, Snake just seems like an easy choice to go though.
5. Lucas: Deciding a last character is hard, and while I don't agree with the whole "clone-ish" thing about Lucas, I would say his series makes him more expendable than others.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
1. Lucario: pretty much the only 100% doomed character. Time for the next promotional humanoid to take his place (which coincidentally is Mewtwo lol).
2. Olimar: Not that Pikmin doesn't deserve a rep, but just replace him with the new Captain.
3. Marth: I know he's kind of viewed as the face, but Marth is the easier FE character to replace. Chrom and Lucina both use the a sword similar to Marth, meaning they can replace his fighting style much easier than Ike.
4. Snake: Sonic seems like a given, Snake just seems like an easy choice to go though.
5. Lucas: Deciding a last character is hard, and while I don't agree with the whole "clone-ish" thing about Lucas, I would say his series makes him more expendable than others.

1. Lucario is not necessarily 100% doomed, that's a bit of a stretch to say.

2. There are several new captains, but I think Olimar is playing a role from what I've heard, so he's probably going to stay.

3. Marth will almost certainly not be cut. Ike has a much greater chance. Marth is practically as important as Mario, Fox or DK.

4. Agree about Snake, but not Sonic.

5. I like Lucas, but I can understand.

Just my two cents.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
2. There are several new captains, but I think Olimar is playing a role from what I've heard, so he's probably going to stay.
Where did you hear that, from what I heard he won't be in the game at all. Theres also the fact that Alph (the kind of main Captain out of the 3 playable ones) looks almost identical to Olimar. If Olimar could open his eyes that is.

Wigglytuff ★

Smash Cadet
Does it have to be only five?
1. Sonic
2. King Dedede
3. Meta Knight
4. Wolf
5. Lucario

(I'd add Toon Link, Lucas, Wario, and maybe PKMN Trainer to the list if I could. I like Ike but I wouldn't mind terribly if he left to make room for another FE replacement; I'd consider it a lateral move)

Krusiv

Smash Rookie
Snake
Sonic
Toon Link
Lucario - probably replaced with Zoroark or new Mewtwo
Ike - probably replaced with Chrom, although I would like to see them add a mage from Fire Emblem instead of a sword user.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Where did you hear that, from what I heard he won't be in the game at all. Theres also the fact that Alph (the kind of main Captain out of the 3 playable ones) looks almost identical to Olimar. If Olimar could open his eyes that is.

Miyamoto said he'll be in Bingo Battle mode and will make some sort of story appearance during an interview. Don't have the link off-hand but its on the Pikmin wikipedia (obviously not always accurate but I doubt it would be wrong when most wikis force citation or get removed by mods) and I'm sure you could google it.

Browny

Smash Hater
Snake: He had his time... hes not going to get it again. 3rd party inclusions are very much an exception and Megaman will fill this void.
G&W: Villager looks to be a clone of G&W. I normally wouldnt say this, but hes just way too similar.
Lucas: Almost no relevance to any new nintendo games.
Pokemon Trainer: Effectively cutting 3 characters in one, and one of the hardest to balance and overall deal with. An extremely unpopular character, Gen 1 pokemon arent as relevant as a lot of people might believe.
Wolf: In an effort to remove characters which are superfluous to representing their franchise, hes the #1 to go.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
The basis for many of these cuts are disturbing. Many of the people don't know that the characters they want cut actually introduced a new playstyle, and some believe that their relationship with Nintendo is more important than how they actually contribute to the game. The OP said not to flame others for their opinions, but some of these things are just outside of opinion.

That being said...

1. Lucario &
2. Toon Link are the easiest choices. Lucario is highly derivative and it is probably very hard to make him any more interesting than his obvious replacement. Masahiro Sakurai feels it is very important to have the two major representations of Link, adult and young, in the game, but I don't think you can greatly differentiate the two enough to keep both without entering "may as well make him a different character" territory. Even the Starfox characters have visibly different technique between their shared specials.

3. Wolf is a great character. He has a swift, cutting, punishing style that is simply magnificent, but only in a vacuum. The reality is that Star Fox characters don't have much to go with, and I think someone new will generate more appeal for both Smash Bros. and Star Fox, and they can be made better.

4. Rob. I feel cutting Rob is sinful simply because he is part of tradition and legacy like Mr. Game&Watch, but the fact remains that he doesn't have very broad appeal and his move set and playstyle, while modestly unique, can be done better by a different character.

5. Pokemon Trainer. This character is simply not unique enough. In practice, he is three different Pokemon, but being able to swap between them isn't fluid enough to make the playstyle memorable and it gives each of the Pokemon a nerf for lack of d-special options.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Snake: He had his time... hes not going to get it again. 3rd party inclusions are very much an exception and Megaman will fill this void.
G&W: Villager looks to be a clone of G&W. I normally wouldnt say this, but hes just way too similar.
Lucas: Almost no relevance to any new nintendo games.
Pokemon Trainer: Effectively cutting 3 characters in one, and one of the hardest to balance and overall deal with. An extremely unpopular character, Gen 1 pokemon arent as relevant as a lot of people might believe.
Wolf: In an effort to remove characters which are superfluous to representing their franchise, hes the #1 to go.

Wait what? G&W and Villager are too similar? Just because they both use various in-game items to attack? By that logic, every character who uses martial arts should be cut for being too similar to one another. They're NOTHING alike.

Lucas' problem isn't relevance, its just that Mother doesn't need two reps according to most people, and Lucas operates somewhat like longtime vet Ness. Though they're only pseudo-clones.

PT is def a tricky one to implement, but I feel like he'll stay in some form and have a roster update to fit recent-gen starters. He's essentially the "main character" of Pokemon.

Wolf, I do NOT want to see go. Falco seems more superfluous than Wolf even if he's a vet, so I'd rather Falco get cut. Story-wise, Wolf is arguably a more important (and unique) rep.

Not flaming or meaning to argue, but that Villager/G&W comparison baffles me. Besides, G&W will likely never go because he's like the father of Nintendo.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
1. Toon Link - Despite the upcoming HD release of Wind Waker, I feel Toon Link is simply too close to Link to warrant his own spot on the roster. While they are different versions of the same character, they are still essentially the same character (hoping not to ignite some pointless argument regarding Zelda canon by saying that lol).

2. Lucario - Lucario has an interesting fighting mechanic, but it was never built around an existing trait; it was pretty random for aura to increase power with damage. The main reason, though, is that he's fallen to the wayside due to new pokemon from both the 5th and 6th generations.

3. Lucas - As much as I love him, his moveset - while having its differences - does bear many similarities to that of Ness. He's also not a longstanding character in the series like Ness is, and he's probably the less recognizable of the two.

4. Snake - He literally would not have been in Brawl if it wasn't for Hideo Kojima. Considering no one was exactly clamoring for Snake in the first place, he might be one of the less missed characters, and as stated by others, his appearance would be more difficult to accommodate with the new art style of Smash 4.

5. Falco - Most people seem to be going with Wolf since he's had a shorter lifespan in the series, but (and I want to make it clear that I have not 100% verified this, so you can correct me if I'm wrong) he seems to have the less cloned moveset of the two. It serves as a better counterpart to Fox rather than a rehash of his moveset, and Wolf's role in the Star Fox series is at least as prominent as Falco's.

max.

Smash Rookie
Wolf, Lucas, Toon Link, R.O.B., & Lucario. Would have liked to keep Lucario. However, if he's replaced with Mewtwo, I don't mind too much.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Okay. That is your opinion but how is R.O.B. barely a real character?
I mean if you want to cut R.O.B. that's fine but....
I meant that he was just an addon for the NES, and not much more than that. He's not all that interesting and his moveset is kind of generic.

I'm not upset about ROB "taking any character slots" or anything. I didn't mind him too much as a character in Brawl, but if I were to make some cuts on the roster, he would definitely be one of them.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Many of the people don't know that the characters they want cut actually introduced a new playstyle, and some believe that their relationship with Nintendo is more important than how they actually contribute to the game.

This is why I tried to base my choices around getting rid of some of the more expendable semi-clones to allow for a more varied roster in terms of fighting style.

But I personally feel as though Toon Link is too essential to the Zelda series to warrant the ban hammer simply because of his moveset. Sakurai and the rest of the development team really could have done a better job with his moveset to differentiate him from adult Link. He has enough tools from the Wind Waker alone to really help him stand out, but nearly none of them were present in Brawl. Hopefully that issue will be alleviated in Smash 4 if he returns. As well as Ganondorf.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
The most expendable are obviously Snake and Sonic, but even then 3rd parties, to which things get messy.

Going by clones, we have Child Link, Falco, Wolf, and Lucas.

Going by series cast flexibility, we have Lucario, Pokemon Trainer Red, Jigglypuff, Ike, and Lucas.

Going by Brawl priority placement mixed with time constraints, we have Jigglypuff, Toon Link, and Wolf.

Going by possible programming troubles, we have Ice Climbers, Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Pokemon Trainer Red, and Olimar.

EDIT: And for fun, going by butthurt, we have every character not already confirmed. For as we all know they make it harder for your dream character to happen.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Honestly, a lot of these answers that people are giving seem weak to me. Due to this, I decided to leave my feedback.

1.) Lucario: Seeing as he was, indeed, a 4th gen rep of Pokemon, I do not feel he is nearly as relevant to the franchise and should be replaced, instead, with the new mewtwo form to represent the 6th generation and still give fans mewtwo again.

2.) Snake: The very definition of 'third party character' who is more relevant on the systems of Nintendo rivals than Nintendo's systems themselves. Should be cut for reasons of game atmosphere as well.

3.) Jigglypuff: Honestly, this one is difficult only because of her/his veteran status. While one could argue that jigglypuff could now be a representative of the new 'fary' type, it's too weak an argument for me to understand her inclusion. And, for the record, I mained her and marth in melee.

4.) Ike: Needs to be replaced like Roy was. I know that some people are wanting Roy back badly, but I don't see that happening. Chom would be my best bet on who would replace him.

5.) Falco: I know, people would whine and complain that he was gone, but that really isn't the point, balance-wise. We do not need three clones of one moveset, and a Protagonist/Antagonist representation is much more fitting than Protagonist/Comrade in the way of representing the series.

I honestly don't want to see Game and Watch or R.O.B. removed because they are VERY integral to Nintendo's history as a company and are unique in their own rights (though, please, make R.O.B. awesome to play as). I also don't want to see Lucas cut so that both the Mother and Earthbound sides to the series are represented well. And, last but not least, why on Earth would you want to get rid of one of the iconic characters in gaming that is Sonic? Sega was Nintendo's direct rival for quite some time, and that makes him memorable to many older fans, while he is still a big third party character in Nintendo's history, making him recognizable to younger fans as well.

That's just my two cents, however.

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
Sonic, Snake, R.O.B., Pokemon Trainer, Peach

I was never a big fan of Sonic and Snake, they always felt completely out of place to me, Snake especially.

R.O.B - ....Meh, I always forget about this guy existing.
Pokemon Trainer - 3 chars in one along with a strange and crippling stamina system..With the next game on the horizon he kinda seems like a failed experiment.
Peach - I have no real explanation for this one other then the fact that the Mario franchise already has Mario, Luigi and Bowser as reps.
Also, I hate the character of Princess Peach with every fiber of my being.

Honorable mentions go to Lucario for being an outdated pokemon rep and Ike because I would like to see Chrom this time.

Or Roy....Please? D:

Browny

Smash Hater
Wait what? G&W and Villager are too similar? Just because they both use various in-game items to attack?
Yes, exactly.

They are both somewhat unique characters who have no place in a fighting game, they only do so by using crazy weapons for each and every attack.

His dash attack and up look very similar. He seems to have a bunch of very hard-hitting moves and bizarre attacks just like G&W. You could give G&W Villagers entire movetset (make them all silhouettes) and he would play the same, and the reverse applies to Villager.

If they are both in the game, they are going to be Mario/Luigi level clones. Slight variations in almost every attack, but basically the same. (Unlike Ganon/Falcon melee clone where every attack is the same except fair)

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Considering toon link was added pretty late into brawl's development cycle, I'm not surprised at all he turned out "very similar" to link.

This doesn't mean it's impossible to declone him, though. It's actually VERY easy to give him a more unique, windwaker-based moveset. Deku Leaf up-b, fire+ice arrows, grappling hook zair, skull hammer, and a myriad of the unique sword techniques used in windwaker can very easily set apart Toon Link as a very distinct and unique character compared to regular Link. Sakurai stated before that he really likes the idea of having two versions of Link, so if he decides to stick with that mentality, I really dont think they will have any problems "luigi-fying" Toon Link.

Just my biased opinion though. :)

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Hm, this thread is pushing it a bit as an anti-support thread. But because people are typically being thoughtful and genuine with their posts, I'll keep it open until any issues arise. Like the OP says, keep things civil and don't be disrespectful towards others.

Also, posters need to please reduce bias and comments like "I want to remove x because I don't like them and/or they lack presence" - the op clearly wants objective reasons behind your choices and NOT a list of which characters you like the least. Please keep such opinions to yourself, as they often lead to unnecessary conflict.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I would say: Sonic, Snake, Toon Link, Lucario, Pokemon Trainer

Makes the most sense in my eyes. "Replace" Sonic and Snake with Mega Man and Pac - Man, Toon Link with Ghirahim/Tingle/Another Character, and The Pokemon characters with Mewtwo and Zoroark.

This thread... should probably be closed down. I can already see this going south.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
It will be if it becomes more clearly about opinions rather than objective reasoning

Which I see happening in the near future

I'm essentially giving the thread a last chance since the intent of the thread wasn't bad, it just wasn't interpreted very well

Titah

Smash Rookie
Lucario - Was never really a big fan of Lucario. I didn't like that fact that he replaced Mewtwo >.<
Lucas - No need for a clone character of Ness.
Toon Link - I am a big fan of the Zelda franchise, but I'm not a big fan of clone characters.
R.O.B. - He wasn't an actually character from a game. His uniqueness was good in brawl, but I think the best thing about him was the surprise that he was in brawl.
Wolf - No need for a third clone character from the Star Fox franchise.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
snake
ike
falco
lucario
r.o.b

i like r.o.b and lucario but i would cut them in favor of other characters

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Too many people are saying Ike here. I definitely dislike that. As I like Ike. And I think he's still the most important Fire Emblem character after Marth. The fact he got a descendant out of nothing in Awakening shows that IS cares about him enough. He doesn't even really fit in. And his moveset was unique in Brawl. I'd be more than upset if Ike left.

Lucas should stay to. He's got a very nice moveset, which is very true to his game (except for the specials). I hope they revamp him a little more.

Falco should also stay. And so should Wolf. I'm not getting why either should be cut. I don't even think they are similar to Fox at all. A few revamps on the specials would be cool, as would different Final Smashes, but that's it.

I'd like Toon Link to stay as well. As he's quite important in the Zelda franchise, and he still has potential for a much more unique moveset. Am not holding out hopes for him however.

As for characters I'd cut:

1) Sheik. Replace with Impa as a separate character.
2) Ice Climbers. If they cannot see to balance them right, please get them out.
3) Sonic. Personally, I don't like Sonic. But don't see it happening he gets cut. I'd like it to happen however.
4) Snake. Even though I like him more than others I listed.
5) I'm seriously considering putting Lucario or Toon Link here, but wouldn't really want to lose either. So, if Lucario keeps his lame Aura mechanic, I'd want him gone. And if Toon Link remains like he is in Brawl, I'd want him gone.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
No interpretation was done. They didn't even read the first post.
*sigh* yeah, I guess you pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

Okay, locking because people can't read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom