• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi's Shield

OGPlumber

Smash Cadet
Yoshi's shield is pretty weird, but I feel like it has an advantage over other shields. Does anybody know how to use Yoshi's shield?

Naughty Pixel

Smash Apprentice
it's different, but normal shields are more beneficial. yoshis cant be shield stabbed and you cant tell if he's light shielding but he can't jump out of it which leaves him with a handful of options he doesnt have

OGPlumber

Smash Cadet
it's different, but normal shields are more beneficial. yoshis cant be shield stabbed and you cant tell if he's light shielding but he can't jump out of it which leaves him with a handful of options he doesnt have
What is Shield Stabbing?

Zone

Smash Champion
I like to smash attack my yoshi's friend shield while he's light shielding in teams to make him super wave-dash edge hog, or slide in his shield into a grab.

OGPlumber

Smash Cadet
I like to smash attack my yoshi's friend shield while he's light shielding in teams to make him super wave-dash edge hog, or slide in his shield into a grab.
That's so smart. I wish I was better at playing doubles.

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Shield stabbing is when part of your character's hurtbox is not protected by your shield (this usually happens when your shield is smaller because you've been holding it too long) and allows you to get hit even though you're in your shield. Yoshi doesn't get shield stabbed because his entire hurtbox is intangible during his shield.

Shield stun is lag that you get when someone hits your shield. You can't do anything during shield stun, except buffer a roll or spot dodge with the C-stick (this will take place as soon as your shield stun is over). Different attacks have different amounts of shield stun and this is in part what determines which attacks are safe on-shield. Yoshi does not suffer from shield stun due to the fact that his shield does not move at all when he is full shielding (shield pushback is one of the factors that determines shield stun, and Yoshi's shield not moving messes with this formula).

Due to Yoshi's shield not getting shield stabbed and not having shield stun, shield dropping is very good with Yoshi. It's extremely safe and easier to do with Yoshi than with other characters because you don't have to account for shield stun. The fact that it's faster gives you more opportunities to punish after a shield drop than other characters have. The downside to Yoshi's shield is of course that he can't jump out of it, but that's mitigated by parrying, which is ultimately better than shielding in the first place.

Last edited:

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Each character has a "pre-shielding" animation which takes place before your shield appears. This is 4 frames for most characters and 6 frames for Yoshi. For every character, frames 1-2 are when you can reflect projectiles, and frames 3-4 are when you can powershield attacks.

For some reason, Yoshi is completely invincible during this animation (no other character has this). This allows him to block anything during this frame window, including grabs. A parry is when you time and space your shield so that the incoming attack will hit Yoshi's body while it is invincible, instead of hitting his powershield.

There are two benefits to parrying:
1) This is the only time Yoshi can jump out of shield (powershielding will prevent him from jumping).
2) When you parry an attack (excluding grabs), whatever hits you will have hitlag, but you won't. This gives you enough of a frame advantage to punish moves after parrying them.

The most common move to use after a parry is DJC Nair, though depending on the situation you may have many other options.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Yoshi's shield is the best shield in the game, yet Yoshi is worse off when forced into it than other characters because he can't jump out of it :(
He can still parry though. You can jump out of parry. He's definitely bad if you panic shield (compared to other characters panic shielding), but it's manageable if you know what you're doing (with Yoshi that is).

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Shielding is not necessarily panic shielding, it's often just a really good option. And asking people to hit the parry timing consistently is kind of ... well, having high expectations. ;)

Sure you can somewhat get by, Yoshi isn't horrible. But it's easily the thing that's holding him back the most. (nope, the recovery is fine. Different, but fine (you get gimped by some things that don't affect others that much, but it has its upsides (like not giving a damn about fox's shine))

SAUS

Smash Ace
Shielding is not necessarily panic shielding, it's often just a really good option. And asking people to hit the parry timing consistently is kind of ... well, having high expectations. ;)

Sure you can somewhat get by, Yoshi isn't horrible. But it's easily the thing that's holding him back the most. (nope, the recovery is fine. Different, but fine (you get gimped by some things that don't affect others that much, but it has its upsides (like not giving a damn about fox's shine))
I think not being able to jump out of shield is what prevents people from picking him up. It's a huge disadvantage, but he's still got some solid options (mostly shield dropping or just not shielding and relying on mobility). I think his main weakness is that he gets combod really hard by a lot of characters - chain grabs and 0-deaths all day. Poor Yoshi...

I guess it's not "panic shielding", but a lot of people shield a lot because they can do it so freely. As Link, shielding is often terrible. Because of that, I don't shield much with any character compared to other people.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Well, Yoshi's somewhat like spacies in the combo department. He is hit hard, but he hits damn hard himself (plus actually killing him can be quite the lengthy process (especially in PAL where he's really heavy)), so that part is pretty fine if you ask me.

But you even say so yourself: most people shield a lot, because it's basically free. Scouting your opponents choices with a fairly low risk move is really, really good, and the lack of that ability really hurts in neutral. It's far harder for Yoshi (or link to a lesser extent) to call me out for throwing risky moves around. Most characters can just shield and punish hard if they are right, and if not they don't lose too much, but if Yoshi decides to shield, he is dedicated to it. If I didn't bite, I now have a situation that's far better than vs other characters.
Sure, you can play around that handicap, but having to do so lowers the options significantly which really hurts the neutral game

Last edited:

Encephalon Decay

Smash Cadet
Let me make this simple.

PROS
1: Full body coverage (Can't be shield stabbed)
2: No shield stun
3: Parrying
4: Can't tell if lightshielding (If he is, attacks give him massive knockback. If you want to try it, have a friend smash attack your yoshi while holding Z to shield)

CONS
1: Can't jump out of shield
2: Very weak OoS game if caught in it fully
3: Can't jump out of shield
4: As Xyzz put it, once you're in that shield, you're dedicated to being in it. Getting out without taking a hit can be tricky
5: Can't jump out of shield

I like Yoshi's shield a lot, but you can't just throw it out whenever you feel like, unlike other characters. More often than not you're better off dodging, but it definitely has uses.

Shield dropping can counter pretty much all of the cons, but that's situational, so I left it out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom