• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi's potential on platforms.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Basically, from the posts i've been reading from most Yoshi mains, it looks like almost all the Yoshi players here believe Yoshi is better in stages without platforms.

However, I think otherwise, I believe Yoshi is now really benefited by platforms in this game.

In Brawl, Yoshi had a decent camping game with eggs, Pivot Grabs, Chain Grabs, kill setups from grab releases and tilts, but the rest of his moveset where mostly either too risky or not very rewarding, accompanied by the fact that platforms negated most of Yoshi's chain grabs and kill setups, which made FD Yoshi's best stage in that game in general.

However, this is not the case in Smash 4, Yoshi now have a lot better aerials with less ending lag, combine it with his quick tilts and jabs, his egg lay and a more "flexible" aerial mobility, and you have a very good character with a little less risky moveset in general with A LOT more reward. If you know how to abuse things like punishing people on platforms and using them for gaining stage control you'll have a superb character.

Basically, what i'm saying is: Yoshi's platform game needs to be explored a lot more in this game. I do believe the fact that everyone is saying FD is yoshi's best stage and battlefield is bad just because the platforms get in the way of egg spam is limiting his potential in some Match Ups.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Real talk, Dair people when they're on platforms. Most people will shield when they're above you. This can be a free shield break or it'll just shield-stab and you'll hit anyways.

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
I don't see how Battlefield is good for Yoshi at all. The platform layout hinders eggs more so than other stages. I'd rather go to a stage like Town and City (which I believe is Yoshi's best stage not FD).

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Real talk, Dair people when they're on platforms. Most people will shield when they're above you. This can be a free shield break or it'll just shield-stab and you'll hit anyways.
yep, this is included on the "punishing people on platforms" part, along with a lot more stuff yoshi can do in this situation.

Last edited:

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
I don't mind platforms much, but I'd much rather play on Fd/Sv over Bf. I feel that it's a love/hate relationship with that stage.

I like platforms/BF for the drop down B-reverse approaches you can get. I also like that Usmash covers a decent chunk of the platform. I haven't really used Dair yet to people above, so I'll see how that goes.

I dislike it in the fact that if you do not have center stage control, it is tough for Yoshi to get in and establish dominace. Eggs really do help with getting 50/50 situations, but the eggs aren't as stellar if they're blocked by the platforms.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
I do enjoy opportunities, above or below the opponent, that platforms give to utilise egg lay. As mentioned in the op, Yoshi has more flexible options in the air and can use this to his advantage by being able to space around an opponent on a platform. Normally they would be safe from most kinds of pressure and shield. But of course we have an air grab.

FD just dosen't have any consistent gimmicks Yoshi can use. By going there, you've made it easier for an opponent with a faster projectile to fight you. An opponent with a less angular projectile then forces Yoshi to evade while trying to respond to that projectile feom afar. From there, it beomes easy to anticipate Yoshi's options and walk around his hitboxes. Platforms provide auto-positioning while giving an option to evade most projectiles(except ya know, eggs).

Last edited:

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Most Yoshi's think Platforms suck for Yoshi? I'm on the other side of the fence then. I love them. They just change our game plan is all. If you're on a stage with platforms and you're trying to play yoshi as if they weren't there of course you're gonna get bodied. I feel safe standing on platforms, I feel safe standing under platforms and I feel like i have the advantage when other people are standing on platforms. If you keep such a narrow Yoshi needs a flat stage mindset you're gonna hit a rut.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
The reason why platforms benefit Yoshi so much in this is because they help diversify his playstyle. With levels like FD, he's limited to almost a Marth-like spacing game full of grab baits and eggs, whereas platforms add an extra dimension to tech-chasing and his incredible aerial game can take over. Honestly, I'd counterpick people to stages like BF or T&C for that reason, he can be absolutely devastating on stages like BF.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Battlefield can be bad for yoshi, halberd too if he needs eggs a lot in the matchup or it's a character like mario/luigi who play off of super close footsies and no longer have to respect ground pound.

But platforms like the ones on lylat, town and city, smashville are good in general. They don't get in our way often and enable our aerial mobility to be even more ridiculous.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
Battlefield can be bad for yoshi, halberd too if he needs eggs a lot in the matchup or it's a character like mario/luigi who play off of super close footsies and no longer have to respect ground pound.

But platforms like the ones on lylat, town and city, smashville are good in general. They don't get in our way often and enable our aerial mobility to be even more ridiculous.
That's true, it can be very matchup-specific, I guess it's more so personal taste with battlefield. T&C and Lylat are killer levels for Yoshi though, agreed.

Tenner

Smash Rookie
It really depends on the matchup. If I'm facing an aggressive character that I can combo easily, then platforms are great for movement and continuing combos/strings.

On the other hand, if I'm facing a Villager or Rosalina, I don't want platforms because they can just park themselves under and avoid eggs which are crucial to approaching.

shapular

Smash Ace
BF doesn't really block eggs that much. If you're both ground level, just grounded Egg Toss; if you're on the platform, you can soft toss under the platform or hard toss anywhere else. I start a lot of my games on BF soft tossing an egg under my opponent's platform in anticipation of a dropthrough. It's really only vulnerable to a high approach. I beat the best Rosalina in Tennessee in tournament on BF a couple days ago so I don't think it's even that bad against her. I'd much rather fight her there than Lylat. Otherwise BF is really good for utilt/usmash/Egg Lay/uair/dair pressure from under platforms, dropthrough aerials/Egg Lay from on platforms, and extending utilt/uair strings and helping uair/usmash kill early. You can even try grounded down B-ing characters on platforms from the ground level. It's not a great option but it works as a mixup.

Fuerzo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Erudites
I like platforms in theory but dislike the layout of Battlefield. In that respect, my favorite stages are T&C and Smashville.

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
I like playing as Yoshi on Battlefield. His u-smash goes through the whole of both the lower platforms, and if someone goes on the top one, I can jump from below and beat the snot out of them with my u-air, or come from the side and f-air them. I think Yoshi benefits well from the platforms in Battlefield.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
I thought Lylat was considered Yoshi's best stage. Why is this the case if it has platforms?

Edit: Dang, this thread was just halfway down the Yoshi main page but it's from a while back... Didn't mean to necro or anything.

Last edited:

AnDEh92

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0189-9322-6264
As a Yoshi Main, i would like an explanation on why people consider Lylat to be Yoshi's best stage. At locals i tend to ban that stage because i find it very janky, and generally uncomfortable with the tilting. I normally take my opponent to Battlefield/Dreamland/Smashville as i prefer platforms. Playing on FD, personally, makes me play A LOT more campier and throwing eggs more, and i feel incredibly lame lol.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I thought Lylat was considered Yoshi's best stage. Why is this the case if it has platforms?

Edit: Dang, this thread was just halfway down the Yoshi main page but it's from a while back... Didn't mean to necro or anything.
As a Yoshi Main, i would like an explanation on why people consider Lylat to be Yoshi's best stage. At locals i tend to ban that stage because i find it very janky, and generally uncomfortable with the tilting. I normally take my opponent to Battlefield/Dreamland/Smashville as i prefer platforms. Playing on FD, personally, makes me play A LOT more campier and throwing eggs more, and i feel incredibly lame lol.
Apparently nobody knows the answer to this.

To begin, I don't know where people are hearing that Lylat is Yoshi's best stage. I almost never see any of us choose that stage to begin with, so...

Lylat is in general Janky and people don't like the tilting. I like that the stage makes people uncomfortable (I love jank), so I like to take people there.

In general, the platform layout on Lylat is favorable to us. We don't benefit from high platforms (like the top one on BattleField), and the low ones are just the right height and size so that we can Usmash through them and cover basically the entire platform.

Lylat is also very large, giving us room to use our mobility to our advantage. Battlefield and Smashville are a bit cramped, meaning we can get stuck with people in our face and there's nowhere to run to, so those stages can be kinda rough in that regard. In a similar vein, Town and City is nice because it's also kinda large, but the platforms there don't really help us.

Dreamland is good because of its size, but the platform layout is less ideal for us, so I wouldn't pick it for standard platform utility (they're higher up, we struggle to reach them).

I like FD because of the size, but I also prefer having platforms as options. Plus I love jank.

Yoshi likes large stages that give him space (in general), he likes platforms (in general), and he deals with jank well. Thus, Lylat is pretty good for him. It might not be good for you as a player, but someone comfortable on Lylat will probably take advantage of it with Yoshi.

AnDEh92

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0189-9322-6264
Apparently nobody knows the answer to this.

To begin, I don't know where people are hearing that Lylat is Yoshi's best stage. I almost never see any of us choose that stage to begin with, so...

Lylat is in general Janky and people don't like the tilting. I like that the stage makes people uncomfortable (I love jank), so I like to take people there.

In general, the platform layout on Lylat is favorable to us. We don't benefit from high platforms (like the top one on BattleField), and the low ones are just the right height and size so that we can Usmash through them and cover basically the entire platform.

Lylat is also very large, giving us room to use our mobility to our advantage. Battlefield and Smashville are a bit cramped, meaning we can get stuck with people in our face and there's nowhere to run to, so those stages can be kinda rough in that regard. In a similar vein, Town and City is nice because it's also kinda large, but the platforms there don't really help us.

Dreamland is good because of its size, but the platform layout is less ideal for us, so I wouldn't pick it for standard platform utility (they're higher up, we struggle to reach them).

I like FD because of the size, but I also prefer having platforms as options. Plus I love jank.

Yoshi likes large stages that give him space (in general), he likes platforms (in general), and he deals with jank well. Thus, Lylat is pretty good for him. It might not be good for you as a player, but someone comfortable on Lylat will probably take advantage of it with Yoshi.
Good Analysis, i may have been stuck in the 3DS days too long and transitioning to Wii U Stages made me disregard certain stages due to unfamiliarity. It would seem i would need to practice Lylat more, as i prefer to ban Smashville to annoy my opponents.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Good Analysis, i may have been stuck in the 3DS days too long and transitioning to Wii U Stages made me disregard certain stages due to unfamiliarity. It would seem i would need to practice Lylat more, as i prefer to ban Smashville to annoy my opponents.
I, too, ban Smashville to annoy people.

I also always insist on striking if people go "Wanna start on Smashville?" Then I strike whatever stage they suggested first. Because that's how you get in their head before the game's even started.

TheRedLemming

Smash Cadet
One Benefit I've found with Yoshi is a full hop egg roll on the top platform of battlefield has no start up lag. You land on the platform and go. This can be useful for punishing/mindgaming/going for deep edge guards, since you don't stop on the edge.

It can also be used to get in on people who land up there without worry because "What's a yoshi gonna do?"

The edgeguarding thing is that you don't just "go" you "go!" It's very fast off the bat with no "ramp up" speed, and you don't stop on any edges on that top platform, break your egg after a small bounce on the ground below and you're in magnify land pretty quickly. It can be a useful "style" edge guard, I'm trying to get it to work on lower platforms as well, since it could be a very strong movement option on battle field if there is use for it.

Can yoshi get a strong benefit from platforms? Definitely, upsmashes punish any get up options on BF. Weaving through platforms is easy when you're basically a bird, so no worries there, and then if someone doesn't tech landings and you're fast, you can get a fair bit of damage or even confirm kills from the top platforms at low %s

Rastabru

Smash Rookie
For online tournaments i can see why people would prefer non platform stages. Offline, i always ban at least FD. Platforms leave so many opportunities for being creative rather than, well mostly eggs. I'll gladly swap easier egg tossing for things like up smash coverage, juggling and egg lay setups. Oh, and yes Lylat is the dream.

First post! :4yoshi:

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
I'm hoping Yoshi's Story & Yoshi Topsy Turvy get re-releases on the 3DS and Nintendo Switch

Top Bottom