• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi's Island: Stage Discussion Thread

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I think we can all agree that Skyloft is our best stage, but sadly Skyloft is no longer with us.

Also, there's an old stage discussion thread, but it's, well, really old.

I'll try to update the OP about the pros and cons of each stage, and what our best stage seems to be.

Last edited:

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
I know that it is a good stage for Yoshi, but it is also just a comfort pick for me. I am talking about Battlefield. My other best stage when i play Yoshi is probably Lylat. Most of you probably feel the same way here.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I know that it is a good stage for Yoshi, but it is also just a comfort pick for me. I am talking about Battlefield. My other best stage when i play Yoshi is probably Lylat. Most of you probably feel the same way here.
Why do you feel that way? What about these stages makes you comfortable and why do they seem good for Yoshi?

Scootch

NNID
Little_Dragon34
Why do you feel that way? What about these stages makes you comfortable and why do they seem good for Yoshi?
I guess that the platform formations help me a bit with my Yoshi play, allowing me to jump on them to get higher and/or to juggle them on them. I am not as fond of Dreamland, though. I think that it is because of the smaller blastzones and Whispy's blowing.

YoshiYoshi

Smash Apprentice
I think Yoshi's best stage fluctuates between FD and BF depending on the MU.

In matchups against characters Yoshi can space eggs against well, FD (and similar stages like Duck Hunt) are prefered. Also, Yoshi seems to be better against disjoint heavy characters on flat stages, since they get more value out of poking through platforms.

In matchups against characters with powerful horizontal projectiles and Little Mac, Yoshi is probably better on Battlefield and Battlefield derivatives. It's good to have places to land.

Yoshi has decent platform abuse potential, but I feel it's kind of mid-tier in the cast and must be considered before choosing a stage, whether or not the opponent gets more value out of low platforms than Yoshi.

I'm not a huge fan of Lylat though. While it is ideal for edgeguarding, the slanted floor tends to screw up my spacing, but that might be due to inexperience.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I guess that the platform formations help me a bit with my Yoshi play, allowing me to jump on them to get higher and/or to juggle them on them. I am not as fond of Dreamland, though. I think that it is because of the smaller blastzones and Whispy's blowing.
What parts of your Yoshi play are helped by the platforms on Battlefield and Lylat? You say using them to get higher/juggle, but what about the fact that it lets opponents do that too? Are there specific types of characters you like to use these stages against? Do you ever feel the platforms are in the way?

Dreamland's platforms, while having the same layout as Battlefield's, are a little higher up, so maybe that's why you don't like them as much. We can't poke through them at all, and reaching them is also a bit harder.

Yoshi has decent platform abuse potential, but I feel it's kind of mid-tier in the cast and must be considered before choosing a stage, whether or not the opponent gets more value out of low platforms than Yoshi.

I'm not a huge fan of Lylat though. While it is ideal for edgeguarding, the slanted floor tends to screw up my spacing, but that might be due to inexperience.
What do you mean by platform abuse potential? You mean playing keep away?

What about Lylat makes it ideal for edge guarding?

Scootch

NNID
Little_Dragon34
What parts of your Yoshi play are helped by the platforms on Battlefield and Lylat? You say using them to get higher/juggle, but what about the fact that it lets opponents do that too? Are there specific types of characters you like to use these stages against? Do you ever feel the platforms are in the way?
One part of going to battlefield that I like is if I get them on one of the lower platforms without them teching, it is basically a free up smash if I can time it right. And if my opponent's character really benefits with the platforms I might decide to go to a place like Smashville or FD. I guess that my platforms get in the way sometimes, but I am not really an egg-heavy player (I should probably use them a little more) and more of an aggressive Yoshi.

Also, would you like to fight me sometime on the Wii U? That will definitely get me more experienced in the ditto and you can give me some tips (and vice versa). Just saying, though, I am pretty bad at the ditto! XD

Last edited:

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
What about stages like Town & City against characters who have just as much trouble killing as Yoshi does, if not more and/or are lighter than us? This is just me theory crafting, but I would imagine this would be an ideal stage against someone like :4duckhunt: as there isn't a whole lot of room for DHD to play his projectile game as oppose to Final Destination, struggles a lot to seal a stock, and is a lot lighter than us.

Then again though, you could make the argument of taking them to Battlefield as they'll never kill you even if you're past 175% so...

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I think it's worth considering that we don't necessarily want to pick small stages against the campy characters of this game.

"Say what now Delta? You're crazy!"

In this game, campy characters don't move incredibly fast, so they can't cross you up easily. As an example, consider the match up with Brawl Falco: SHDL SHDL SHDL SHDL > We get close > Phantasm through us to the other side > SHDL SHDL SHDL SHDL > Repeat.

In that case, we wanted a smaller stage because we couldn't really corner him anyways, so we might as well reduce the amount of time it takes us to land and try to interrupt him again.

In this game, however, nobody camps like that. They set up shop, throw stuff at you, and wait for an advantageous situation so they can move in and ruin you. I'd argue that smaller stages in this case are WORSE for us, as the one approaching. In this case, if we do get hit, there's less room for us to land and reset to try our assault once more. The camping characters in this game do not have incredibly fast projectiles. Having space to reset, then try to break their pattern again can be extremely valuable, rather than trying to land on a stage where their projectiles cover the entire ground. Plus, we have a REAL SHIELD now. We can actually break these zones much more easily than before, whereas before we had to rely on weird movement options, pinging attacks out with jab or something, and dodges.

Anyways, that's just food for thought. Don't just make generalizations about match up types when discussing stages. You don't always want small stages against camping characters.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I wanted to know the best and worst tournament allowed stages for Yoshi, and why they're bad or good and what should be done on those stages. Oh, if there's already a thread for this could you link it to me? Thanks!
So I don't think there's a single best stage for Yoshi in this game. What characters are you particularly thinking about fighting? You should choose stages based on the match up.

Fuerzo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Erudites
Yoshi is balanced enough that I don't think we really suffer or get huge benefits out of any stages. My comfort picks tend to be Smashville and Town & City when possible, but I prefer FD (and Smashville) against sword characters, Battlefield/Dream Land against characters that are particularly strong on flatter stages like Diddy and Sonic, and occasionally Lylat. Not a fan of Duck Hunt's platform layout or the ducks often soaking up eggs.

ayer99

Smash Rookie
Unless I am playing a character that needs kills off the top even more desperately than I do, I am usually comfortable heading to Smashville if someone offers it. Platform can extend combos on occasion but doesn't make it too easy for people to avoid up air spam.

If there was a flat stage that was significantly shorter than FD horizontally, I would probably use such a stage. Like many others I like Yoshi because I feel like you can play him pretty well without ever leaving neutral for long stretches of time.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Unless I am playing a character that needs kills off the top even more desperately than I do, I am usually comfortable heading to Smashville if someone offers it. Platform can extend combos on occasion but doesn't make it too easy for people to avoid up air spam.

If there was a flat stage that was significantly shorter than FD horizontally, I would probably use such a stage. Like many others I like Yoshi because I feel like you can play him pretty well without ever leaving neutral for long stretches of time.
Why not choose Town and City if you get more reward from the low ceiling? Is it because the platforms make a easier for the opponent to land?

Top Bottom