• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi's Island - In Depth Yoshi Guide

Guide Yoshi's Island - In Depth Yoshi Guide

Zaney72

Smash Rookie
Zaney72 submitted a new guide:

Yoshi's Island - In Depth Yoshi Guide - In Depth Yoshi Guide from the Basics to the Advanced.

Yoshi's Island - An In Depth Sm4sh Yoshi Guide!

Hello and welcome to my Yoshi guide! I'm Zaney and I decided to make this guide to help out both the smash community and myself learn as much as possible about Yoshi since there doesn’t seem to be very informative guides...
Read more about this guide...

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Yay, a new Yoshi guide! It looks absolutely amazing, but here's some stuff I noticed from my quick skim:
  • Doesn't mention the two hitboxes of jab (if you hit at the tip the opponent will go upwards, if you hit closer to the body they'll fly outwards; this can affect the way some things connect. For example, I'm pretty sure the tip hitbox doesn't combo into Utilt while the body hitbox does)
  • Doesn't talk about how to aim Egg Toss which a lot of beginners actually struggle with
  • Could go more in-depth with some things (e.g. Egg Roll only has one jump) but it still has a lot of details and is really long already. I still think video tutorials would be helpful though
I also recommend that you link videos and/or threads because some of this stuff (like the Neutral) is already explained in other places. It might make the guide a bit shorter, too, but it could also be helpful to have everything in one place.

On an unrelated note, is it okay if I use your combo section in my combo thread? (with credit, of course)

Zaney72

Smash Rookie
Yay, a new Yoshi guide! It looks absolutely amazing, but here's some stuff I noticed from my quick skim:
  • Doesn't mention the two hitboxes of jab (if you hit at the tip the opponent will go upwards, if you hit closer to the body they'll fly outwards; this can affect the way some things connect. For example, I'm pretty sure the tip hitbox doesn't combo into Utilt while the body hitbox does)
  • Doesn't talk about how to aim Egg Toss which a lot of beginners actually struggle with
  • Could go more in-depth with some things (e.g. Egg Roll only has one jump) but it still has a lot of details and is really long already. I still think video tutorials would be helpful though
I also recommend that you link videos and/or threads because some of this stuff (like the Neutral) is already explained in other places. It might make the guide a bit shorter, too, but it could also be helpful to have everything in one place.

On an unrelated note, is it okay if I use your combo section in my combo thread? (with credit, of course)
Use whatever information you want. I don't even care if you give me credit at all. Spreading Yoshi knowledge is all I'm trying to do! But yeah, I plan on making videos of each section as well, and the idea of this guide was to make a gigantic comprehensive guide so everything is in one place. I'll add in the Egg Toss aim in the next couple days after I figure out how to pretty up this guide :p . I wrote "During the first 15 frames of the move, you can choose how far to throw it by holding the special button (the longer you hold it the farther it will go) and by inputting a direction you can change the arc the egg travels." in the basic knowledge section of the Egg Toss part of the guide, but that didn't really discuss it very well. Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

Goldenstein64

Smash Cadet
NNID
goldenstein64
3DS FC
3411-1021-7210
(Noticed you didnt know what stepdashing was or how to perform it):

There is Stepdashing and Wavedashing

Wavedashing is alternating the control stick between moving left and right extremely quickly, which keeps you in place while dashing. This is not particularly useful as you can only do everything regular dashing does and stay in place at the same time.

Step dashing is flicking the control stick one direction and then flicking it the same direction again after about a third to half a second or so (a good cue is when you hear Yoshi's foot touch the ground). This technique is not particularly useful either as you can only do everything regular dashing does (except NSpecial).

Then there's extended wavedashing, which is a interesting hybrid between the 2 that lets you change your direction while stepdashing without suffering turn around lag. This is done by regular stepdashing and then wavedashing in the middle of one of the dashes to change direction This is much more useful than the previous 2 techniques, as it lets you play mindgames with your foe.

EDIT: I think I'm getting the terms incorrect, but you get the idea :grin:

Last edited:

Zaney72

Smash Rookie

Wavedashing is alternating the control stick between moving left and right extremely quickly, which keeps you in place while dashing. This is not particularly useful as you can only do everything regular dashing does and stay in place at the same time.

Step dashing is flicking the control stick one direction and then flicking it the same direction again after about a third to half a second or so (a good cue is when you hear Yoshi's foot touch the ground). This technique is not particularly useful either as you can only do everything regular dashing does (except NSpecial).

Then there's extended wavedashing, which is a interesting hybrid between the 2 that lets you change your direction while stepdashing without suffering turn around lag. This is done by regular stepdashing and then wavedashing in the middle of one of the dashes to change direction This is much more useful than the previous 2 techniques, as it lets you play mindgames with your foe.

Yeah, I've been trying to do a balance between learning the more precise advanced techniques and then learning Yoshi specific things. Not gonna lie, I've leaned heavily toward the Yoshi material. I watched My Smash Corner's video on it, but I haven't tried to do it yet, nevermind find a use for it. Hopefully I'll do enough to update more on it in the next month or so though, but there's still a lot I wanna do for the guide in the meantime :p .

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp

These terms aren't quite right, as you said. What you call Wavedashing is typically referred to as Dash Dancing. What you're calling Step Dashing is usually called Fox Trotting.

I don't know if there's a proper term for what you call Extended Wavedashing, but I definitely know that Extended Wave Dashing is not what to call that.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Extended wavedashing = extended dashdancing

wavedashing is not in Brawl nor Smash 4, step dashing is the one that mysmashcorner made a video about that's impossible to do

Top Bottom