• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi's imperfect shield

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
there's not much point in reducing your hurtbox by entering shield; it's a negligible difference. even if you manage to evade a move by shrinking down into your shield, you will still have to deal with the entire 18 frames of shield animation (assuming you didn't manage to get a perfect shield). if you want to move your hurtbox out of the way, just charge an fsmash.

also, i hadn't considered this before, but having a smaller shield gives us less frame advantage post-shield, too. attacks hit us 1-3 frames later than they would against other shields, meaning that when the opponent hits us, they'll be further into their attack animation than usual; in other words, when they hit our shield, they'll be closer to recovering from their attack while we're still locked in shield.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So if Yoshi's perfect shield is pretty much useless, then I'm guessing that he wouldn't be affected all that much by the Imperfect Shield bonus effect.

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
if equipment is ever legalized, then yeah, yoshi could use that equipment with almost no change to his gameplay.

though, it's not really an advantage if it's due to us starting at a disadvantage. it's more like a consolation prize...

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I was notified by Pixel_ Pixel_ to post a finding I recently figured out about Yoshi's Egg Shield, & by recent I mean today lol. Here's my post & thought that us both would think it would fit in your thread muddykips muddykips :
So uhh, I was just doing frame skipping for Yoshi's egg shield & realized that it's not the same universally with every character.

Egg Shield
Frame 1-3 is the power shield window like everyone's (Yet this is where it starts getting a bit different).
Frame 4-9 is the locked into shield window [9 frames minimum]
Frame 10-16 is the shield drop lag [7 frames minimum]
Frame 17 is the first actionable frame

Last edited:

DJlive

Smash Apprentice
Wait, that means we can do oos options 2 frames faster. That's a lot.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Wait, that means we can do oos options 2 frames faster. That's a lot.
Idk about this. The thing with most characters is that they can at least input a short or full hop during the shield drop lag window [12-18], but Yoshi cannot initiate a short or full hop during his shield drop lag window [10-16]. So it varies I guess?

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
wait, so... all i can really make of this is that we can drop shield 2 frames faster, but only if nothing hits our shield in the first place?

if that 2 frame subtraction were applied to shield drop, then that would be amazing, but there doesn't seem to be any real purpose in having a shield lock duration that lasts 2 frames less. it might have had a purpose before the big shield patch, since shieldstun didn't affect shieldlock frames, but now that shieldstun overlaps with shieldlock, it doesn't really do anything anymore.

unless the patch team notices this and decides to make it relevant again? give us 2 frames less shield drop on hit confirm plsplx

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Month bump but lol people are right when they say japanese/koreans practice more and are ahead of the game.

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
wait, so... all i can really make of this is that we can drop shield 2 frames faster, but only if nothing hits our shield in the first place?

if that 2 frame subtraction were applied to shield drop, then that would be amazing, but there doesn't seem to be any real purpose in having a shield lock duration that lasts 2 frames less. it might have had a purpose before the big shield patch, since shieldstun didn't affect shieldlock frames, but now that shieldstun overlaps with shieldlock, it doesn't really do anything anymore.

unless the patch team notices this and decides to make it relevant again? give us 2 frames less shield drop on hit confirm plsplx
Actually I think Kurogane Hammer said this wasn't true on his twitter, I might have to get a link :(
Month bump but lol people are right when they say japanese/koreans practice more and are ahead of the game.
I'm assuming you're talking about the consistent perfect shields and not the magnificent use of backward crawls? Anyway I hope some really good Yoshis will help advance the meta, even if they're overseas

DJlive

Smash Apprentice
I personally tweeted KH and from my understanding, he agrees that it is harder to perfect shield

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Well that's fascinating to know.
It's both a good and bad thing, moves missing but sometimes we want to shield cause you get rewarded too much for shielding a move in this game and can punish after the hit really hard.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I guess that's a trade-off with how Yoshi isn't locked in Egg Shield as long as the majority of the cast, but I feel mixed about it. Idk what to say, exactly.

Goldenstein64

Smash Cadet
NNID
goldenstein64
3DS FC
3411-1021-7210
JUST TO MAKE SURE we're not missing anything, Yoshi's body does not account for the ps, correct?

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
I'd considered that, but couldn't find any way to prove/disprove it; it's hard to tell because Yoshi's body immediately reels back in preparation for entering egg, so even if his body had shieldlike properties, the difference would be negligible.

My best guess is that his body becomes intangible. I don't recall a character's body ever being able to replicate shield.

Top Bottom