• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi vs G&W

Ben Prochazka

Smash Cadet
So yesterday at CRT 11 (A Houston PM/Melee Biweekly) I had to play FX | Dakpo in the 2nd round of winners bracket. This matchup is hard. Yeah I got 2-0ed but I mean it wasn't absolutely terrible. Im not even sure I would say this matchup is good for us yosher's because as I would want to space out d-tilt, he would counter and throw his out. Also being combo'ed by G&W and getting juggled in the air was stupid because I wanted to jump out but I think the reason I kept getting combo'ed was because of G&W up air = wind and not a hit or something you can jump through.

Oh well, here is the set. If anyone would want to help me out because it seems like everyone is picking up G&W

https://youtu.be/dGAev5KwcyY

Thanks!

YOLOyoshi

AngryPiratehat

Smash Apprentice
First game you SD'd (def not good and I'm sure you were kicking yourself). You also need to pick your spots better. Don't just throw moves out willy nilly in this matchup or you WILL get punished. And I'm going to be honest and say that I have no idea how to get out of his combos. All I know is that you want to DI his throws in front of him and always prepare to tech the down throw. If you full on DI off the stage (in the direction he's facing), he shouldn't be able to get to you. Forward smash at the ranges you were throwing it out wasn't safe. And crouch cancelling against G&W is a huge risk. Back air is definitely not a good approach either. You did that a few times in game 2. Recovering low against G&W is horrible. If you can help it, then don't do it. You played super aggressively and I like that, but I'm pretty sure that it's a bad idea against game and watch unless you can bait something unsafe out and then go in right when the hit-boxes go away on his array of lingering ones. It's just not a fun fight in my opinion.

Ben Prochazka

Smash Cadet
I know it was nerves playing a top player and then just a mix of not knowing the matchup. Yeah I was mad after that SD because before I was playing so much better than once I was on stream. I think its hard playing game and watch because the things I wanted to do would got punished with dtilt, the one time he did down throw it threw me off because I was super prepared for him to think that doing downthrow I'd miss the tech and he would get the free hammer, but then he did the super advanced combos of like up throws and stuff. Game 2 I was just throwing things out to cover myself because game 1 was really bad for me. I had asked Mojo (idk if yall know who Mojo is but hes like one of Texas's best) and he pretty much told me to hope I dont get 4 stocked, which really didnt help me much. I have dabbed in g&w just to try and learn what they would do and I just know to not crouch because down tilt from G&W's is so stupid good. I have to say that random fsmash I got was like super lucky because I kinda meant it to be a tilt but got the pivot and it turned into an fsmash.

Scatz

Smash Champion
You have to beat GDubs CC outright. His entire gameplan revolves around CCing your attacks to counter with Dtilt/Grab/Jab/etc. Most of the moves you were using weren't enforcing that you're not going to let your opportunity get beaten by CC.

From the looks of it, a lot of the issues were from inexperience and seeing what GDubs can do combo wise.

Also, when you're pressuring, use Jab mixups more to keep them guessing at the timing.

Top Bottom